schadd walrus 2: feast of the invisible cats (join biancospino walrus!)

For completed/abandoned Mish Mash Games.
schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox
Pronoun: he/it

Post Post #325 (ISO) » Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:27 am

Post by schadd_ »

viewtopic.php?t=91704

this is biancospino's walrus. it turns out that you are legally obligated to join this. i dont make the rules. convenient pagetop.
free darius mccollum
todays featured user: Balki B

tris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
Splatoon Tetris
Pronoun: she

Post Post #326 (ISO) » Tue Sep 26, 2023 5:46 pm

Post by tris »

did any invisi cats go unrevealed?
here's what it says
tris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
Splatoon Tetris

Post Post #327 (ISO) » Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:29 am

Post by tris »

you have sky gazer's drum solo in the drum cat listening order twice and are missing someone else presumably
here's what it says
tris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
Splatoon Tetris

Post Post #328 (ISO) » Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:32 am

Post by tris »

the one you are missing appears to be invisibility's
here's what it says
hellbooks
hellbooks
She
Goon
hellbooks
She
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: She

Post Post #329 (ISO) » Wed Sep 27, 2023 4:42 pm

Post by hellbooks »

Congrats to fire and thank you for running this wonderful event and to everyone for submitting wonderful songs!
why does your ferret thing have a waterfall?
your guess is as good as mine
schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #330 (ISO) » Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:27 am

Post by schadd_ »

congratulations to:

majiffy:
winner of submitting first and doing discord emoji reacts (which is i guess a pithy way of saying i appreciated your presence in this game & the reveals a lot in general). also highest ratio of song enjoyment to catfit lol

pink ball:
winner of being betrayed by the devilish english language (9.4 spanish language average vs. 7.5 english) AND being betrayed by my devilish self for magically already knowing the artists you like AND being betrayed by my devilish self for putting my reveal at a time where you can only get there for the last song

skygazer:
winner of evidently having fun with the categories lol AND making me not quite laugh but experience a bunch of various laughing-adjacent emotions whilst listening to the song and figuring out how the hell im supposed to score it. and unfortunately there wasnt a medal associated with that

chickadee:
winner of biggest differential of getting guessed between walruses AND 45 minutes award (medal for taking about 45 minutes to pick your songs) AND the last walrus

t3:
winner of confounding me with submissions (specifically the two times i laughed at the song and the time i laughed at you being the mitski submitter and the time i had the exact opposite season for rammstein and the fact i got duped by the second system of a down)

wgeurts:
winner of lowest standard deviation AND most honest walrus (i.e., highest ratio of honest walrus score to regular score at 1.13). which is to say they just submitted a bunch of solid songs and only placed low bc i saw their signature and made 2 rules against wgeurts which are "dont give them my stupid medals" and "dont give them invisible cats"

channeldelibird:
winner of "other" points i.e. unfamiliarity and not being guessed, which was almost a perfect score except for that i had heard one stray album from public service broadcasting. the funny thing is that i felt like i had a confident guess for cdb every time, like i know them from song contest and whatever. i think its fitting that the medal you got was in the novel musicianship thingy. oh AND winner of running song contest.

toolenduso:
winner of being a 30-something man (by an EXTREMELY narrow margin) AND (tied for) highest honest score of a single song (and i think that that one should win the tiebreaker because i just seemed to be less willing to award rly high catfit scores as the thing went on) AND not submitting the band tool

infinity 324:
winner of convenience as a name i could like throw around as a theoretical submitter for basically any song AND best hellbooks frame of all time in cat 5 like literally there were so many things that aligned that made me like 98% sure that was her AND strong ceejayvinoya frame in cat 2 AND best soundboard usage

deathrowkitty:
winner of worst performance

mushshagana:
winner of most mushshagana award royalties received AND most words written about the submission AND most words read and liked by me about the submission AND honest walrus 3rd place :X

biancospino:
winner of most epic walrus-wide symphonic metal buildup AND most reveals attended maybe (i didnt keep track) AND first person to open their own walrus AND most aesthetically pleasing trophy case: :womans_hat::construction_site::construction_site::construction_site::zap:

chevre:
winner of self restraint for not sending me another song from crazy ex girlfriend in spite of getting a gold medal from it last time AND greatest variety of encouraging comments levied against other contestants AND, as always, winner of spiritual presence and support whilst i'm working in my spreadsheet

hellbrooks:
winner of honest walrus :X

invisibility:
runner up of honest walrus :X AND first submission to make me listen to the album (bothy band) AND first submission to make use of the irish radar (bothy band) AND quietly thought provoking catfits. like frankly by the time of cat 8 i was like "ok i'm pretty sure this one is invisibility so there like definitely has to be something interesting here"

isis:
spiritual winner of song unfamiliarity because i took a total of 0.1 points away from the wicked song due to it containing idina menzel who was in uncut gems and also did that frozen song that i guess i know. but you sent me like 8 songs that are like generally a sort of thing that i rarely listen to (and one kpop song). Music for Women in a Hurry

ceejayvinoya:
easy winner of sending songs that are 3 minutes and 46 seconds AND runner up for being a name i could throw around as a submitter guess (but only bc i didnt really know what kind of music you listen to and kind of still dont)

pj:
winner of making me shrink his Damn trophy case to the smallest font to make it fit & also they kept wanting to collapse in on each other because of the crappy open source version of excel i'm using & it looked like this Image until i clicked on it or something. also winner of middest standard deviation (1.7244 which is 11th out of 24)

cheetory6:
winner of .. there's various things i could serve up here but the thing that sticks out in my mind is the fact that you submitted rehab. idk how to word that as a "winner of" statement. but it was cool. i was like "woah cool."

aristophanes:
winner of . . . . . i dont know how to put this but music that i can give medals to such that it seems like i am capable of touching grass AND most points from medals

stinkycheesedan:
winner of songs i liked the most, quite simply. which probably includes my favorite song of the walrus. AND winner of article writing for the school newspaperrr

tris:
SURPRISING winner of being tris! AND song i listened to the most times in general (shostakovich prelude) AND largest amount of top 4 placings AND most points earned from top 4 placings AND possibly the only perfect paper of 8 (actually 9) completely unfamiliar artists

aisa:
winner of ... being rooted for by me if we are being honest

fireisredsir:
winner of highest single song score AND lowest single song score AND best newcomer AND the walrus
free darius mccollum

schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #331 (ISO) » Fri Oct 06, 2023 6:56 am

Post by schadd_ »

In post 236, schadd_ wrote: WOW this is an album starter ok that's cool. for a while i assumed it was like, sending me this song is like just showing me the end of 2001 a space odyssey. ok that's awesome. i've had my sights on this artist a little bit for a while and i'm glad i didn't get like spoiled for this album
:handshake: daniela pes ca mira

also this entry made me remember that i had plans to listen to julia holter and i listened to two albums from her at some point however both of them were not aviary. i feel like there's something like "winner of me listening to your albums in the wrong way" because i also listened to the hana stretton album fireisredsir sent, during the walrus about a month before i got to cat 8. however i am partially choosing to award this to infinity because when i listened to the julia holter albums i went back to thinking they were the submitter
free darius mccollum

tris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
Splatoon Tetris

Post Post #332 (ISO) » Fri Oct 06, 2023 7:03 am

Post by tris »

i have quite enjoyed both of those albums
here's what it says
schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #333 (ISO) » Fri Oct 06, 2023 7:08 am

Post by schadd_ »

In post 326, tris wrote: did any invisi cats go unrevealed?
basically no. i would say that the beloved one was an example of a cat that should have been unrevealed but i just handed it over to two people i wanted to give bonus points
In post 327, tris wrote: you have sky gazer's drum solo in the drum cat listening order twice and are missing someone else presumably
well it is approximate listening order
free darius mccollum

schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #334 (ISO) » Fri Oct 06, 2023 7:09 am

Post by schadd_ »

ok i guess thats the one where i didnt write approximate for some reason
free darius mccollum

Skygazer
Skygazer
any
For My Next Guest
Skygazer
any
For My Next Guest
For My Next Guest
Pronoun: any

Post Post #335 (ISO) » Fri Oct 06, 2023 7:32 am

Post by Skygazer »

you just loved it so much that you wanted to listen to it twice every time... right??
i have the most queues
replacement queue | upick queue
Aisa
Aisa
she/her, they/them
Mafia Scum
Aisa
she/her, they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: she/her, they/them

Post Post #336 (ISO) » Fri Oct 06, 2023 9:09 am

Post by Aisa »

In post 330, schadd_ wrote: aisa: winner of ... being rooted for by me if we are being honest
d'aww
well I guess that explains why I got that invisible cat.
Not the Beloved one. Well, the Beloved one too
but also the one I got the week after. Hang on
where is it...
let me find it.

Ah, here:
In post 256, schadd_ wrote:
MUSIC THAT MAKES ME SHIT
:pill::
1.1 pts
schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #337 (ISO) » Fri Oct 06, 2023 9:30 am

Post by schadd_ »

laffed although that song was so digestive its unreal
free darius mccollum

schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #338 (ISO) » Sat Oct 14, 2023 5:51 pm

Post by schadd_ »

randomly got the word "sostenuto" while trying to swipe type something else & i was like ooh no but very good guess
free darius mccollum

schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #339 (ISO) » Sat Oct 14, 2023 5:56 pm

Post by schadd_ »

very nice song pairing i stumbled on: laura nyro - emmie (demo) -> fka twigs - cellophane (particularly good directly back to back)
free darius mccollum

schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #340 (ISO) » Sat Oct 14, 2023 6:00 pm

Post by schadd_ »

in emmie demmie at 2:45 there's a funny thing where you can hear like a pre-echo of her singing out "emmieeee"
free darius mccollum

hellbooks
hellbooks
She
Goon
hellbooks
She
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: She

Post Post #341 (ISO) » Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:13 am

Post by hellbooks »

there should be a medal for submitting something from an album that also has the song "timer" by laura nyro on it that is worth 7 000 000 000 points, can we think about getting this retrofitted
why does your ferret thing have a waterfall?
your guess is as good as mine
fireisredsir
fireisredsir
Goodfellas/Rising Star
fireisredsir
Goodfellas/Rising Star
Goodfellas/Rising Star

Post Post #342 (ISO) » Tue Nov 28, 2023 3:53 pm

Post by fireisredsir »

hi

i really enjoyed this walrus, it was one of my favorite things ive gotten to participate in, im glad i happened to stumble on it and decided to join

many thanks to schadd for hosting and just being generally cool, but also thanks to all the submitters who submitted such good music!! i found a lot of music that i really like from these submissions and so i wanted to share my favorite song from each of the participants if u don't mind. i think they deserve some extra appreciation

Spoiler: songs
Spoiler: t3

system of a down - toxicity the way it contrasts between manic chaotic and slow melodic kinda works for me in a way that usually similar patterns don't. so that's neat. 2nd place goes to the first 5 seconds of the alexisonfire song

Spoiler: isis

中須かすみ(CV.相良茉優) - 無敵級*ビリーバー
this is v cute and i like the music, so fun and positive-sounding. the town inside me clears here if i hadn't already heard it a billion times

Spoiler: biancospino

merzbow, genesis p-orridge - kreeme horn
i really like the way the vocals kind of disintegrate into static over the course of the sound. and generally it's just good noise

Spoiler: wgeurts

basement revolver - circles
the two black midi songs are def my favorites here, but i like this one too. i think it captures how it can feel like time slows down in intense moments. has a cool emotionally detached feel to it

Spoiler: pj

autre ne veut - ego free sex free (live on kexp)
wow i made the mistake of listening to the spotify version of this and the submitted live one is so much better. this is just fun, i like the weird very affected way that he sings. saba is my favorite overall, but heard before

Spoiler: aristophanes

frank watkinson - i'll follow you into the dark, death cab for cutie cover
im probably biased by having heard this version first but i think it's better than the original. old man's perspective on it just adds a lot. dúlamán is good too

Spoiler: skygazer

thundercat & louis cole - i love louis cole
his drumming is like obviously always very talented but i think it works best here and i like the song surrounding it. im actually pretty into temporary secretary too, that's my second favorite

Spoiler: mushshagana

rna - homunculi
there were parts i liked from several other songs (seraph, engaging, worlds beyond the veil) and it feels kinda weak to just land on the song that is closest to stuff i typically listen to, but i do just like it a lot

Spoiler: chickadee

thao & the get down stay down - phenom
loved this the first time i heard it and i think a lot of that came from the music video, very cool video. still a good song tho, has good energy

Spoiler: invisibility

p.k. 14 - 你和我
i think i liked all of invisibility's songs a decent amount but there wasn't one big standout. i saved this album tho and have listened a few times, im into it, never heard anything quite like it

Spoiler: majiffy

the cure - labyrinth
this one grew on me after a few listens. i tend to like when vocals are lower in the mix, and i also like these kind of gradual buildups over the song. the drums are good too

Spoiler: deathrowkitty

augustin hadelich performs scherzo-tarantelle op. 16 composed by henryk wienawski
i don't really know how to talk about this but it's very good. i like the bits where it feels like he is really pouring emotion into it

Spoiler: channeldelibird

fulu miziki music warriors - tikanga
i love all the different types of percussion that are happening. such a good groove. and the video helps too, they seem like they're having so much fun with it

Spoiler: pink ball

nano stern - carnivalito del ciempés
the only word i recognize in here is "bailar" which feels fitting. makes me want to dance. i especially like the repeated "de de de/la la la" bit idk how to describe it, where the melody is rising and the rhythm is doing something cool. ive found this stuck in my head a lot after hearing it

Spoiler: cheetory

林英哲 - 金団雲
hell yea, i like drums. this just has really cool energy to it. feels like so much of it is anticipation, in a good way. the first minute has me so ready. and then that bit at 4:30 where all of them pick up together is v good. 2nd place goes to like certain parts of the swans song where it goes hard. melted into darkness is good too

Spoiler: chevre

kevin atwater - jacob killed a cat
this song kinda killed me the first few times i heard it. love the storytelling of the verses, i think it leaves the right amount of blanks to fill in. i hope jacob and thomas are doing okay. i realized after listening to it a bunch and then checking the artist page that i see this guy playing his songs on tiktok a lot, he has a very specific style and sometimes his stuff is too overdone but i like this one

Spoiler: toolenduso

death grips - up my sleeves
ok ive never actually listened to death grips although ive heard people talk and/or meme about them a lot. this is good though. for being like 10 years ago this feels pretty ahead of its time. sounds like a lot of people i like were probably influenced by this. there's a lot happening and im into basically all of it

Spoiler: aisa

joni mitchell - the jungle line
my selection here is a little more limited cause i know (and generally like) half of aisa's songs already, she easily wins on that metric. but jungle line is the best regardless. ive only heard a little joni mitchell and while her writing is always v good, here i especially like everything else that's going on around her voice. the drums, the synth, the voices in the background. it's all great

Spoiler: ceejayvinoya

bent knee - dry
this is just a solid song. especially the way the music builds and then kinda gets chaotic near the end, im very into that. good singing, good lyrics, good music. one of the more memorable songs for me from this

Spoiler: infinity

björk - its not up to you
i had heard like a small amount of bjork before this, enough to recognize her voice but not enough to know like any of her songs. this is really good. she does so much with her voice. i should listen to more bjork. battle creek is cool too

Spoiler: tris

jaimie branch - theme nothing
i do like give, and it is another one where i saved the album and like it. but theme nothing is like so good. the drums obviously but also all of the rest of it. forgiveness is good too btw. so is follow the lights. tris also wins cat 2 for me bc i like the pharmakon song but i skip it every time, it's so uncomfortable

Spoiler: hellbooks

kahimi karie - all is splashing now
really hard choice, ca mira is amazing too. and reinada is cool. ive listened to those two albums most, but when i think of which song i want to listen to it's always this one. i love the splashing, and her voice is so good. and even just that main guitar line is simple but perfect. honourable mentions to かもめ3/4 and jjaksoe

Spoiler: stinkycheesedan

山崎ハコ - さいなら - favorite song of the walrus for me. ive listened to this so many times, its an incredible song, especially after learning what it's about. makes me feel many emotions. i think about it a lot. 2nd place goes to popular, but i do like sugarbread as well. and i highly respect the ayesha erotica submission
Infinity 324
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: they (pl.)

Post Post #343 (ISO) » Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:46 pm

Post by Infinity 324 »

<3
Show
new GTKAS

<3 you are valid

plural system, we may or may not sign
Aisa
Aisa
she/her, they/them
Mafia Scum
Aisa
she/her, they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: she/her, they/them

Post Post #344 (ISO) » Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:42 pm

Post by Aisa »

I'm glad schadd and books seem to be enjoying Laura Nyro. I actually am not familiar with either Emmie or Timer off the top of my head, I'll have to remedy that :oops:
In post 342, fireisredsir wrote: joni mitchell - the jungle line
my selection here is a little more limited cause i know (and generally like) half of aisa's songs already, she easily wins on that metric. but jungle line is the best regardless. ive only heard a little joni mitchell and while her writing is always v good, here i especially like everything else that's going on around her voice. the drums, the synth, the voices in the background. it's all great
I'm really impressed you managed to listen to most/all of the submissions from the walrus, and thanks for sharing what your favourites are. While I obviously like all of my submissions, Joni Mitchell in particular is one of my absolute favourite artists, so I'm happy she's getting some attention!

I'm still really enjoying Iris DeMent
schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #345 (ISO) » Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:27 pm

Post by schadd_ »

In post 314, schadd_ wrote:
cat 1
Spoiler: 8th: stinkycheesedan

enjoyment: 6.0 (4.5/5)
catfit: 1 + 1 = 2
unfamiliarity: 0.7
guess: do i just go with known bjork submitter infinity...
submitter: ok danny lol awesome
medals / ICs:

this song briefly made me think about whether i wanted to subtract from the catfit somehow in the event i know the song, even though i'm like not 100% sure whether i've listened to this song or if i'm just kind of hearing the venus as a boy melody in it. the thing is that it feels so safe to submit a bjork song to me even though its not like i went around posting about how much i like bjork everywhere & i'd also appreciate the notion of "hey you might have missed out on sugarcubes even if you already like bjork". anyway. i've definitely listened to some sugarcubes, davsto said about them something along the lines of "bjork's singing is obviously great. don't really care for the bloke."

something about the weepiness and droopiness of the instrumentation lends this the feeling of vulnerability, not just in the social sense but in the sense of an organism leaving itself in danger, and bjork's shimmering and glottal-squeaking voice feel like she is straining and over-extending, but in a way that is joyful. it's a very emotionally full song, that 1-5-2 bass progression feels like a tall thought is being dwelled on.

i've definitely liked her icelandic singing whenever i've heard it. i had a thought "maybe this person submitted the icelandic version because they didnt want me to look at the lyrics... but i've generally been translating lyrics". um i think there might be merit to that idea.

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_s5mt ... qeenqg.mp4
free darius mccollum

Return to “Sens-O-Tape Archive”