schadd walrus 2: feast of the invisible cats (join biancospino walrus!)

For completed/abandoned Mish Mash Games.
tris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
Splatoon Tetris
Pronoun: she

Post Post #250 (ISO) » Sat Aug 26, 2023 1:21 pm

Post by tris »

Turn the Light On reminded me of Evocation by Anna von Hausswolff which was a submission in the heltris walrus from jun that i liked a lot.
here's what it says
schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox
Pronoun: he/it

Post Post #251 (ISO) » Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:12 am

Post by schadd_ »

cat 7: drums
Spoiler: first is toolenduso

enjoyment: 6.5 (4.7+/5)
catfit: 2.9
unfamiliarity: 0.9
guess: majiffy
submitter: tool!!!!!!!!!
medals / ICs: grand slam :billed_cap: +0.4, first place :small_orange_diamond: +2.0

10.3 + 2.4

uhhhhhhhhhhhh So i have grown to understand that my general erm proclivities and lifestyle traits are generally incompatible with dave matthews band liking. Well here we are. yes i have heard crash into me and at various times thought "this is pretty good and also kind of stupid". yes he has a voice that just kind of sounds like an amalgam of popular male voices on the radio in the late 90s and early 2000s (although it seems like he made most of his music before coldplay started to his credit). Yes he sounds like that in this song too and yet i like it.

sometimes you need a 30 something guy to just force you to listen to dave matthews band (i think it would be irresponsible to guess anyone else even though i don't know affirmatively that he likes this band). although you could have just told me they have a jazz alum drummer and i would have been like "oh ok then". i lied that would not be enough to get me to listen to any of the guys name bands. another thing is that i don't think i really like dave matthews' guitar playing and that is for the most part delightfully absent which prevents me from having to say anything bad about it and offend the fans. oh whoops.

sorry describing the drums here is a lot of work and i have a lot of entries to write. OH Fine.. if i have too... so my general favorite drumming trait is the opening and closing of the hi-hat, that "ssst" sound. that is used to such a brilliant effect in so many places to take an extremely tight control over the rhythm but more so the general feeling of timing in the song, like even that very sparse "tssst... pat" pattern in the verses generates such a feeling of anticipation. and that same sort of thing mediates a lot of the fun rhythm switches like when the string hook suddenly comes in and sweeps the song onto its left foot.

idk like sorry you can listen to all the shit the drums are doing in this song. at the end of the day in this cat i'm always turning into an annoyed mafia player thats just like "read the thread. iso carter beauford."

i have to admit to really liking the little vocal fry "yahh.... ooh..." things between verses and i can justify it by saying those sounds are just part of the drum kit. it's like a little physical throat noise. to wit i basically don't care about any language uttered in the song. oh yeah i also make this comparison in the aaliyah song So there you go
Spoiler: second is aristophanes

enjoyment: 6.7 (4.8+/5)
catfit: 2.0
unfamiliarity: 1.0
guess: invisibily
submitter: ARISTOPHANIES!!!!!!!!!!!!! cool youtube video duh ughh
medals / ICs: chills award :sparkles: +1.1, 2nd place :zap: +1.5

9.7 + 2.6

omggg yes this is the song for me because i always liked the between the lions theme song but wished it was Catholicer

it sounds like they have a slightly underbassed choral lineup which is supplemented by the low ringing of the drums. i always like the way that the pitch of a drum interacts with music, the way that it always has some kind of pitch which is less important than its other sonic qualities and yet always obstinately present in the music (the big stereotypical 808 bass drum is kind of an extreme example of this). i Think that the drums in this are specifically tuned to the song although there's only a tight range of pitches or something . . . one way or another it definitely has a little bit of that harmonically-tangential intrigue.

also of course the general percussive sound is great. even though its hard to open and close your hi-hats if you don't have them. the rapid hits at the beginning of a phrase emphasize that feeling that the harmonies are utterly spilling out at each moment

god i love that fourth chord when they're saying .. um well they're saying dúlamán. this is like a really really good song. my defense of it being the highest enjoyment song of the walrus is the content of the song

if this is invisibility i appreciate that she saw the reading of the irish radar and was like "well alright i guess he's like already heard enough of this awesome irish chorale writing so i won't send this to cat 3". and if its not invisibility i'm glad that the irish radars seem to be flying off the shelves

this song has the distinction of being like one of four of five songs from like my whole life that i've sent my mom and had her like
Spoiler: third is tris

enjoyment: 6.2 (4.6/5)
catfit: 2.4
guess: pj...
submitter: TIS
medals / ICs: 3rd place :eye_in_speech_bubble: +1.2

9.6 + 1.2

yeah this is good. it has a big, jazz-like exciting maximalist drum style that defines the character of what is otherwise just a compelling-if-plain brass band song. i guess there's also that grindy cello thing which is like chevre's song from last week lol. it feels very physically intense while having a haunted psycheㅡthere's those parts toward the end where the trumpet triumphantly (hard pair of words to type correctly) wails out a melody and the cello echoes this lower and more pained and strained and also very sustained version of it. god that part is so cool. i listened back to it a couple times to see if i could justify hitting you with the "wan cat" for that sound and i instead wound up adding 0.2 points to the enjoyment score which is well twice as much as the wan cat would be worth

early on it introduces that motif of ":trumpet:... :trumpet::trumpet::trumpet:.. :trumpet:- :trumpet:" where the drum pops in on every 2nd repetition but gradually increases the amount of space it takes up until it just fills the next section which is like this very exciting promise about the amount of rhythmic grandeur the drums are gonna be allowed to have

there's a few moments where the drums aren't as interesting or dynamic but generally those just have the feeling of like sprinting forward on all fours. Which is good

another thing i should point out every time it's true, is that the mixing is just sooo friendly to the drums. in that part towards the end, it's almost as if the extremely cool cello stuff is this tiny little treat that you can just kinda hear under the huge drum stuff and all too often its the other way around
Spoiler: fourth is aisa

enjoyment: 6.4 (4.7/5)
catfit: 2.2
unfamiliarity: 0.8
guess: aisa...
submitter: this is literally fricking aisa -0.1
medals / ICs: not on spotify (with distinction!) :mute: +0.1, MUSIC THAT MAKES ME SHIT :pill: +1.1, tied 4th :nazar_amulet: +0.4

9.3 + 1.6

i read that this is a sample of a burundian drumming ensemble (royal drummers of burundi) that joni mitchell "overdubbed" (which is like a great word to identify a recording as pre-digital). you can occasionally hear them yelling out and stuff. it seems like miss mitchell built a song that plods along at a constant swing rhythm which allows the indpedently-recorded drum track to occasionally predict, follow or emphasize the downbeat, and one way or another it works very well. it's particularly compelling in the "boo do do do (ba da da da) bo do do do (ba da da da)" section.

god i love the boo do do do ba da da da. it has to be said that like the farty old synthesizer upstages the drums kind of often. it's funny that this seems to slightly predate the era of arcade games because it really makes me imagine some procession of evil bug aliens marching down the screen.

i also just really like that completely blown out distortion for a second at the beginning & the fact that that sounded so modern as well as the "2022" in the youtube title (i missed the "remaster") tricked me into wondering if joni mitchell sounds like this in current year

i like that joni mitchell's famous guitar constantly sounds like it's struggling intensely to make any kind of mark on this song at all

after having a couple shots at it i will say that i generally don't get what the song is about. initially it sounded like it would build up to some kind of commentary about colonialism but when i look at the lyrics i can't really find that. seems like it's just some sort of abstract storytelling / theme building thing.

i am literally so obliged to guess aisa for this even though it would be so bizarre if she got like vocally nervous about her drumming sub. that idea made me think of the attached tumblr post. although, it's also extremely possible that this is tris or any of the likers of first and last name women from before the 2000s

Image Image

Spoiler: also fourth is infinity 324

enjoyment: 6.3 (4.6+/5)
catfit: 2.3
guess: infiny ??
submitter: infiniy !!
medals / ICs: cat cat :cat2: +0.5, transition (from
ca vera
) :construction_site: +0.4, tied 4th :nazar_charm: +0.4

9.3 + 1.3

great example of drum machinery used for good. there's that little extra-digital sounding drum hit which is just in the left ear (RARE example of audio panning being used for good) which kind of has the same effect as a hype man going "what?"

theres several aspects of the beat that i might call "drums", listed in descending order of how much i'd be able to justify that, which are that funny little beat box thing that i like a lot (which fires quickly leading up to the start of a new phrase, which pre-empts that bog standard trap hi hat style in a funny way), the little baby "waa-Aah" which is just like a brilliant sample in how it adds to the tone of the song; and the little croak in her voice at 1:35 in the phrase "nnd if you tell the world" which is in otherwise deliciously empty space

but even if you spuriously refused All three of those things, the drumming has such a tight control over the starting and stopping of the energy which makes this awesome pop-oriented nervous feeling which has like defined a lot of music of the last 25 years

ok this seems to be aaliyah's most popular song and i have like never heard it. i swear there is a discord joining-the-call noise at 1:15

giving this *cat cat*, songs that my cat would like, because the stinky little beatboxing makes me think of a little cat doing it due to shafteds commentary in the last walrus. and also some of the lyrics could be taken to refer to how my cat lately seems to want me to stand guard while he is performing a shit. this is a sort of invisible cat that i would want to spuriously give to a low scoring song because thats more fun however i seem to have failed to do that
Spoiler: sixth is isis

enjoyment: 6.2 (4.6/5)
guess: isis
submitter: isis -0.1
medals / ICs: transition (from
universal
) :construction_site: +0.4

9.1 + 0.4

lol this has the instant goodness that has characterized isis songs. a lot of this is kind of standard support drumming and of course the key feature of this is the aliveness of becca. and damn if you don't hear her life functions operating at capacity. but there's a few moments where the drums do something really cool, like how they facillitate the quick changes of pace in the last 30 seconds ok those are like really good. they saved all of the awesome drum-led songwriting for all the way at the end of the song. i guess all of the really good drum parts are how they yank you to the next phrase of the song, like when they thunder in after that bass swell at 1:15 (which is like exactly what you would expect to happen) and also the various smashes on the snare and bonus little alternate patterns they do for one bar in precedent of some sort of Thing happening

also the really good interlude at like 1:50 where they add in a thumping of the kick drum which like sounds like the signal of "your invincibility period is almost over get ready"

ugghhh the little harmony in "reaching for heavun"
Spoiler: also sixth is t3

enjoyment: 6.1 (4.5+/5)
catfit: 2.5
unfamiliarity: 0.5
guess: chevy?
submitter: t3 lolz good job
medals / ICs: transition (into
ca mira

9.1 + 0.4

last time i called the non-vocal instruments standard fare metal from the metal store. Ok well i have nothing against standard fare metal (although sometimes the metal store rips me off). anyway those time signature switches are sooooo great especially since they like only happen in the drums (like the guitar "dun dun dun dun dun" feels like a 6/8 riff which happens to be temporarily voiced in the 4/4 pattern and then lands in its home waters)

but even in the common fill / supporting drumming the drummer just has to add like little fun off kilter snare hits and other treats for me. good drummers are always doing that shit. like the guitar will be going like dun dun dun dun dun and it is made to sound interesting by the drums. ok sorry you've already heard that like several times by this point. I'm gonna proceed as though i dont really have to explain that system of a down is good. ok

hilariously i dont like the vocals in this alll that much. "the toxicity of our city" has that same feeling of a jump rope rhyme but less of the charm i guess

i listened to this album like 5 years ago before i liked metal at all and was like "this is kind of fine" and shortly before the walrus started i listened to the album again (prompted by hearing shimmy in tony hawk's pro skater 4 and liking it a lot .. lol .. also relevant fact for the walrus) and was like "this is pretty good!" and i guess you people are just gonna send me all of the songs from it one by one until i'm like yeah this is like a really great album or whatever. i mean this could just be t3 again which i would have no problem with but chevy outed himself as a system of a down liker and idk where else he goes. anyway this last minute refresher on system of a down spared me from having to give like 2nd or 3rd place or whatever to this metal band that everybody already knows and likes
Spoiler: eighth is invisibility

enjoyment: 6.1 (4.5+/5)
catfit: 1.9
guess: gunna toss out cheeto
submitter: invibility!!!! good showing although i guessed you for second place obviously
medals / ICs:

really great supporting drums with uproarious mixing. much of the time it's a simple pattern that just sets up a slow and straightforward guitar riff to operate with a huge amount of weight - classic and good usage. it really gets a lot of joy just from the thick and methodical sound of drumming which almost poses a question like "don't you just like the basic physical sound of a heavy drum set". like it's not drum-focused at all and not particularly creative either but i just enjoy the sound of the drumming the whole time.

i also appreciate the overall drama of the song. i like the singer a lot and that, idk, almost-whiny style where it sounds like you're listening to all of the ringing in his whole throat.

this seems to be in mandarin - i always wonder about languages with a tonal inflection how that comes across in music where you don't get to do it, especially in this song that has the sound of a western "post-punk" sort of vocal style where if there's tonal inflection in it i don't notice it
Spoiler: ninth is wgeurts

enjoyment: 5.8 (4.4/5)
catfit: 2.1
guess: pink ball...?
submitter: wurts
medals / ICs:

i'd venture the word "charismatic" for the drums here and maybe you'd also try something like "smooth". i guess there's a classic drummer somewhere in there who is supplemented by like 4 or 5 tracks of bonus digital drum stuff such that the drums are like, the thing that makes the song interesting the whole time. although it has a bass guitar that it gets to be friends with for enrichment.

the drummer does a lot of the things that tend to make me go "oh yippee!!" whenever i hear them and the construction of the song seems to just aim for dense rhythmic satisfaction, and otherwise it doesn't do much else. it's sorta like frosting out of the can for me. there's just like so many rhythm layers stacked on top of each other that you're bound to latch on to at least one of them lol, it's like the thing where a pencil sketch will automatically look a little bit extra accurate because your brain traces whichever lines you drew that look closest to the right shape of something (i read that on tumblr i think)
Spoiler: also ninth is fireisredsir

enjoyment: 5.9 (4.4+/5)
guess: fireisredsir
submitter: firs get guessed -0.1
medals / ICs:

cool!

this one also kind of scans as a drum show-off track like a couple of the ones revealed earlier, but idk the absurd noise and distortion makes it easier for me to read some kind of coherent character to it all. like we're getting "selected segments of Grime Drumming from the Dungeon". like there were 5 different session drummers that were each paid in eight dollars and a broken ram card. and they put the moldy chrome drum sets in a different corner of the dungeon each take.
Spoiler: eleventh is ceejayvinoya

enjoyment: 5.6 (4.3/5)
unfamiliarity: 0.9
guess:
submitter: ceejayvinoya (unguessed)
medals / ICs:

this was the first song in my listening order and for the first couple minutes i was like "umm... hmm... did i grab the wrong stack of songs or does this person just really like that krrt sound" and i kind of mentally prepared to write an entry for it in the editorial voice of "blathers when you give him something he already has". and then they started laying down the offbeat triplets lol. hoo! hoo i say. i mean i don't mind the beat in the first couple minutes, it's kind of goofy and morose in a way that supports the song.

i really like the moment where most of the instrumentation drops out but the drums stay mostly the same, like "yeah it turns out the drums are here to stay." still, there's some moments where they're done dirty by the mixing and other than the big sea change in the middle they're a little bit stagnant, in spite of being a very catchy and well-performed beat.

i like the chords that linger into the next bar for a second, it's something i like doing whenever i'm just randomly playing my guitar. i don't really mind chester bennington's voice (which i probably would not have said a few years ago lol) but i guess it's not especially compelling to me. i like how he shapes the words "truly look"

cjv randomly caught a stray in the debacle about skygazer's song & i accidentally found out this is their song
Spoiler: also eleventh is chevre

enjoyment: 5.9 (4.4+/5)
catfit: 1.8
guess: ummbm tris ??
submitter: chevy! next guess dang.... or maybe like my 3rd guess... its game soundtracks...
medals / ICs:

i think this is drum machinery and while they did a good job of it i think this shows off the limitations of drum machining in a jazz context (in addition to a couple of the perks, like that snare drum that rings out for a variable amount of time). like there's fun and elaborate phrases but it kinda feels too orchestrated, like it's not really responding to the rest of the music or something. maybe there's just a part of me that wants to rebel against accountant's signature. there's a good bit of extra flair, like not often is the pattern the same two measures in a row. i think the cymbals in particular feel like they don't have a lot of character, it's more like ya gotta have the cymbals.

a fun minigame is to try to figure out if that trumpet is synthesized because it's very shimmery and elaborate and it has a lot of those bonus vibratos and slurs and articulations but well most of the rest of this seems to be synths and there's a lot of moments where it just feels like it has bonus digital effects

maybe

i seem to have written the word maybe on a new line and i dont remember what was gonna happen with it
Spoiler: thirteenth is mushshagana

enjoyment: 6.0 (4.5/5)
catfit: 1.7
guess: mushshagana
submitter: GET GUESSED FINALLY -0.1 (finally as in the other time i got you it was under beneficial circumstances)
the hypocrisy
) :construction_site: +0.8

8.6 + 0.8

when they whip out that bowser's castle guitar.....

this song expands the fuck tunnel cinematic universe by making me imagine riding on a minecart and occasionally busting into this big dark expanse thats like swallowing up all the light from the torch i'm carrying (and all the while the fuck tunnel rumblings of my minecart continue although sometimes they get swallowed up by the hugeness of the cave). and sometimes the fuck tunnel drumming does that little descent down the tom toms which is like when the minecart goes downhill.

there's a lot of kind-of interesting stuff the drums do, they insist on a certain rhythm (or maybe even a couple of them) while the guitar feedback is going you know "woaw weow wewowawa". i would say generally it feels like the guitar wins outㅡa lot of the flair and dynamism and general protagonist energy comes in the flickers and shreds and echoes of the guitar sound. Which i enjoy but well you end up with a 1.7

brilliantly the transition from fleshgod apocalypse the hypocrisy creates like a perfect continuation of the pace of the drumming without any lapse, which only goes to show that you truly cannot escape the fuck tunnel
Spoiler: also thirteenth is majiffy

guess: tool
submitter: majifty ... darn...
i'm alive

8.6 + 0.4

i would want to say jiffy for this just because this is literally sooooo much drum mixing. lol. it makes me picture a big vertical height whenever there's a big weighty kick drum + snare hit, which is i guess something that the blue man group accomplishes by having that ray of paint fly out of it or whatever.

i guess there is like never anything particularly brilliant accomplished by the performance of the drums but they literally just go so hard with them in the mixing room that it's impossible for me to listen to this and not be like "soooo true bestie". like you could not mistake anything else for the protagonist of the song including the singer whom i do not really like. sometimes you have to just trust that the sound of drumming is really good because well it is.

burn through the stitches of my dragulehh and whatnot
Spoiler: fifteenth is cheetory6

enjoyment: 5.7 (4.3+/5)
catfit: 1.7
guess: channel delbird
submitter: cheeto was my nth guess
medals / ICs: songs my keys would like :key: +0.7

8.4 + 0.7

last time i got some drums-only songs and basically gave them catfit points in exact proportion to how much i liked the song. and i don't really have a reason in particular not to do that here. i guess there's the occasional people yelling and i like them a lot. maybe there isn't a whole lot of particularly interesting rhythms or most of the stuff i generally thinking of in this cat but i like how the song is constructed. like all of the joy is in just finding a new flavor of percussion really (like the little thing that comes in around 3:20 that sounds like the junimos from stardew valley. or maybe they sound like that instrument rather...) and i guess the little melodies that come from things that you could argue are like not drums. idk thats the score i wrote down. ok i guess all i've done so far is explain why i gave this 1.7 points instead of uhhhh 2.61 points. idk i like what you did here. i like traditional drumming. and it should be said that the general, like, pattering and slapping and stuff is very pleasant. you know what i'll give you most of those 0.91 points back with the songs my key would like cat. there's a lot of little noises my keys might latch onto but i imagine them hearing the big bells and thinking "wowww that must be a really big set of keys rattling around"
Spoiler: sixteenth is skygazer

enjoyment: 5.3 (4.1+/5)
guess:
submitter: this is skygazer
medals / ICs: not on spotify :mute: +0.1

8.3 + 0.1

i'm gonna very lazily give this the same score as ukiyo so that the write-up can kind of spill over onto this one. i mean like like the drumming here slightly more and the synth thing gives me more to chew on but i also just kinda find it obnoxious. dont have a lot to say otherwise. hes good at druming

this was a submission change from skygazeur that i seemed to have accidentally pasted on top of deathrowkitty's entry. and so this song and her song and also accidentally ceejayvinoyay's song have to go unguessed as a result. a simple google's search reveals this as the knower guy and so i uh probably could have guessed the submitter but alas. dont you, like, like herbie hancock
Spoiler: also sixteenth is pj.

enjoyment: 5.2 (4.1/5)
guess: wurts?
submitter: pj...!
medals / ICs: suburbs :bridge_at_night: +0.1

8.3 + 0.1

it's kind of a shame that the rest of the song seems to be kind of bent on ignoring the stuff that this drummer is doing lol. what's extra funny is that i guess the drummer is the feature. ok so we're going to do our own thing with the whiny reverb guitar and stuff and then you do a drumming session along with the recording and we'll pay you 600 for every impact you can make on that thing within eighty seconds. i like this drumming a lot and i'd greatly suspect that in a different environment he could blow me away with something but this kind of doesnt even sound as much like a song as it does "stuff to let the drummer show off" and it doesn't produce a lot of memorable moments for me to latch onto.

i like the defiant little kick-snare-kick after 1:00 thats in the middle of the bar
Spoiler: eighteenth is biancospino

catfit: 1.5
guess: spino?
submitter: bianco spino. that is unfortunately minus 0.1 points for you.
medals / ICs: transition (into
worlds beyond the veil
) :construction_site: +0.8

8.1 + 0.8

millions of metal bands

yeah see the thing about the fuck tunnel is that it's not a tunnel if you never get out of it. it's like there's this mole that just keeps digging forever at full speed. it has a little bit of that intriguingly jagged metal rhythm stuff i kept talking about last week but i'd say that a lot of that is actually facillitated by the bass tugging up and down a tritone. its like this is a bunch of um pleasant and, idk, simple? ish? 6/8 rhythms that are performed by... hrm... well let me give you a pick of analogies
:small_orange_diamond: a guy that overheard the "600 per drum hit" deal from the entry i'm revealing next and like sprinted out to the studio sweating profusely
:small_orange_diamond: several giant woodpeckers
:small_orange_diamond: a conner o'malley character really trying to impress jk simmons in whiplash
:small_orange_diamond: the keys in my pockets when i'm trying not to wake people up
:small_orange_diamond: the keys in my pockets when they hear a song that would win the key cat
:small_orange_diamond: a grandma from cookie clicker

does that count as writing enough for this song... i feel like a guy that just overheard a deal for 0 per word written about this song. and i'm sweating because its hot
Spoiler: nineteenth is channeldelibird

enjoyment: 5.4 (4.2/5)
catfit: 1.5
guess: t3
submitter: cdb
medals / ICs:

there's a lot of fun with different timbres of the drum, i really like how they underline the buildup of a phrase by opening the hi hat slightly (so it jingle jangles for an extra moment after they hit it. at least i think that's what people do). and otherwise there's just a bunch of slightly different sounds, like the random little digital rattling sound in the middle. but i guess the drums feel very chained to this constant da . . da . . da da dada rhythm. yeah get ready for a lot more transcriptions like that everybody. i guess i would say the song has a lot of semblances of drama but the musicality only backs it up enough to sell me on the drama a little bit.
Spoiler: twentieth is chickadee

catfit: 1.4
guess: chickdee
submitter: yup sorry girlie -0.1 but you won last time
medals / ICs:

it sounds like somebody read the "drum machines are fine" clause in the cat description and rooted around in their attic for the stinkiest little casio drum machine or whatever they could find. i'd actually guess that this is like a drum machine that makes the quiet little click sounds and the goofy hi hat that sounds like an empty pipe hissing, but an actual drummer playing the snare hits and kick drum and maybe something else. i mean i like the sound of it all. it interacts pleasantly with that little handbell-like "ba ba ba" harmony (not gonna try too hard writing that out). but well it's the same thing for 4 and a half minutes excepting a couple emphatic snare hits and stuff.

i guess this is pleasant comforting music. great for walking around and seeing random townspeople.
Spoiler: also twentieth is deathrowkitty

catfit: 1.2
guess:
submitter: this is drk
medals / ICs:

instead of a traditional fuck tunnel, a lot of the time this opts for a tunnel based on like one-two punk drumming or something. idk this has good moments but it has about as many of them as a typical four or five minute metal song does and there's a lot of space between them filled by sort of plain drumming. i like the big winding chord sequences a medium amount. occasionally there's like a really good and wild vocal moment but i'm not particularly compelled to go back and try to pay attention to it better bc i have this 9 minute song to get through. Hrmph there is enough of those to get me to kick this up to 4.3 Instead of 4.2+ Which is where i had it for a while. behind the scenes.

this got hit by a copy paste error so i had to go hunt down drk's song. she's probably gonna be like "oh yeah this song is like nearly unlistenable but i like some of the drums" or something. i really like the band name
Spoiler: twenty-second is stinkycheesedan

enjoyment: 5.4 (4.2/5)
catfit: 1.4
guess: stinquey chease dan
submitter: danny brown -0.1
medals / ICs:

let it be known that i listened to this and was instantly like "this has to be danny." and then later this week i like accidentally saw that it listened to this artist. yeah i'm like attempting the "try to describe whats good about the drums without comparing them to led zeppelin but slightly worse" challenge and failing. there's the fun that these sorts of smelly old rock songs frequently have which comes from using a quick snare -> kick/cymbal or vice versa to build up the shape of a guitar riff which is melodically pretty simple. there's some extra flair the drummer unlocks towards the end like only during that part where they are being drowned out in the long wet fart synth solo
Spoiler: twenty-third is hellbooks

catfit: 0.8
guess: this is hellbooks
submitter: yex -0.1
toxicity
) :construction_site: +0.4, transition (into
are you that somebody

7.4 + 0.8

girl today's modern drum cat consumer demands dozens nay hundreds of drum hits by the 2 minute mark (and offers dozens nay hundreds of thousands of dollars for them...) and you give me zero. like oh sure this is a creative entry and stuff. well you are coming fresh out of a metal song as the invisible cat states. yes you are kneecapping yourself.

yes i appreciate the art of this song but i am truly not primed to give drumming points to this. maybe if i like listened to it twelve times in a huge empty room i would be like ah i see the brilliance... but not if i'm listening from the big playlist or hurriedly writing up entries (yes this is close to the end). pardon me i am just further padding my word count. beg pardon. i mean i like the rattling and clattering that seems to be opposing in the ears. sure. but maybe you had this fantasy that i would be like "oh brilliant.. oh finally.. a song which has revolutionarily chosen to NOT have drums in almost any ofit... how creative... this is what i was envisioning this whole time" then i must shatter it. your transition points will prop you up anyway so i have no particular desire to add extra icing. however i do have a particular desire to add extra word count.
Spoiler: twenty-fourth is pink ball

enjoyment: 4.5 (3.7+/5)
catfit: 0.9
guess: aristophany
submitter: pink ball
medals / ICs:

i kind of stop liking the lyrics as soon as this guy starts making them about himself. LOL. i notice the drums at a few moments and they're definitely a little more fun than replacement-level radio pop (especially the extra emphatic hits towards the end), but well they don't really inspire me to write about them, suffice it to say. i like the bit of distortion at the height of the "love and emotion" phrase.

Spoiler: listening order
free darius mccollum
todays featured user: Balki B

MUSHSHAGANA
MUSHSHAGANA
IT/ITS
Mafia Scum
MUSHSHAGANA
IT/ITS
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: IT/ITS
Location: Everett-Wheeler Branch Q-5992-CLF3, Third Mouth of the Worm

Post Post #252 (ISO) » Sun Aug 27, 2023 12:54 pm

Post by MUSHSHAGANA »

The main interest of Mithras' drums is the drummer is an absolute maniac. That's all live, not retracked. The drums are just tripping over themselves at hyperspeed, but there's also a lot of actual technique in them, it's not raw velocity with no sense of timekeeping.

Admittedly, though, the guitar does fuck. Also, the vocalist's more hardcore-roar vocals are a big bonus -- as much as I like harsh vocals, I tend to prefer when it's dialed back some.
199-member plural system. We kinda exploded. We'll sign if we switch, but it's a host-centric setup round here now.

It/its pronouns only.
schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #253 (ISO) » Sun Aug 27, 2023 12:55 pm

Post by schadd_ »

Last edited by schadd_ on Sun Aug 27, 2023 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
free darius mccollum

schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #254 (ISO) » Sun Aug 27, 2023 12:56 pm

Post by schadd_ »

In post 252, MUSHSHAGANA wrote: That's all live, not retracked.
Oh
free darius mccollum

Pink Ball
Pink Ball
he/him
Silver Bullet
Pink Ball
he/him
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #255 (ISO) » Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:09 pm

Post by Pink Ball »

Should’ve gone with Blink instead huh.

I listened to that song exclusively for this contest thinking that the lack of drums at times was more interesting than the drums themselves
schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #256 (ISO) » Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:18 pm

Post by schadd_ »

TWO INVISIBLE CATS HAVE CHOSEN TO REVEAL THEMSELVES THIS DAY!
MUSIC THAT MAKES ME SHIT
:pill::
1.1 pts
/ 1.0pts / 0.9pts
:arrow_right_hook: about a month before i started really writing up the walrus opening post, i wrote at the top of my list of potential invisible cats "MUSIC THAT MAKES ME SHIT". and by the time i started i kinda forgot exactly what i meant by that. i'll choose to leave it similarly ambiguous here.
songs my cat would like
:cat2::
0.5 pts
/ 0.7 pts / 0.4 pts / 0.6 pts
:arrow_right_hook: obligatory

other notes:
  • i decided that i'd give some sort of medium-low amount of points for extra invisible cats once i run out of scripted points. what i did here is i gave the final 0.8 points to the first and best one i noticed which is biancospino's
    the hypocrisy
    to mushshagana's
    worlds beyond the veil
    which i would recommend trying out if you have a way to listen to them smoothly back to back. and then i handed out 0.4 to the rest of them
  • the next grand slam is gonna be worth -0.9 points, and so i'm reaping the benefits of how absurd that idea was now. another thing is that it kind of fails to make things more exciting because it means that it's like harder for someone else to have a sudden breakout placing that moves them up the leaderboard. lol
free darius mccollum

schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #257 (ISO) » Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:19 pm

Post by schadd_ »

In post 255, Pink Ball wrote: I listened to that song exclusively for this contest thinking that the lack of drums at times was more interesting than the drums themselves
yeah unfortunately i like it more when there isnt a lack of drums
free darius mccollum

schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #258 (ISO) » Sun Aug 27, 2023 5:16 pm

Post by schadd_ »

In post 236, schadd_ wrote:
cat 3: novel musicianship
Spoiler: 23rd place: tris

catfit: 0.4
guess: death row kitty
submitter: tris...! another person who could do another fuck by shit
medals / ICs:

assuming this is death row kitty in which case come onnnn girl!!! lol!!!! i was hoping you'd send me like brian ferneyhough or atleast another fuck by shitstainkovich. But no. you sent me this triple A shit... minor league material... ok sorry i am being very cruel again. (unless this is isnt drk in which case, i am being very cruel). it even has some of the energy of shostakovich piano trio no. 2 mvmt 4. But none of the freakin notes!!!

maybe there's an angle here of "you broke composition down to its barest essentials!" but like european djs the world over have already beaten ligeti to the punch on this sort of thing. and by that i mean european djs, europe over, did the thing ligeti did here 40 years later or whatever. and if the only distinguishing factor is like the expression and articulation and whatever of the notes, idk that is stuff that i've also heard before. so this is just not landing in this cat very well unfortunately. the ending is cool.

i'm like so certain i've listened to some album performance of ligeti and yet all i can find specifically is the 2001 a space odyssey soundtrack. Which i watched a couple weeks after opening the walrus thread so it doesnt count.
ok ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm well i just watched eyes wide shut which uses musica riceroni no 2 as a motif like 30 times and i was like "wow this is so cool"
free darius mccollum

schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #259 (ISO) » Sun Aug 27, 2023 5:16 pm

Post by schadd_ »

but you know how it is with györgy
free darius mccollum

schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #260 (ISO) » Sun Aug 27, 2023 5:58 pm

Post by schadd_ »

i see that youve collectively decided that my job in the commune is gonna be "radio dj that gives content warnings before every song"
free darius mccollum

tris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
Splatoon Tetris
Pronoun: she

Post Post #261 (ISO) » Sun Aug 27, 2023 6:26 pm

Post by tris »

In post 258, schadd_ wrote:
In post 236, schadd_ wrote:
cat 3: novel musicianship
Spoiler: 23rd place: tris

catfit: 0.4
guess: death row kitty
submitter: tris...! another person who could do another fuck by shit
medals / ICs:

assuming this is death row kitty in which case come onnnn girl!!! lol!!!! i was hoping you'd send me like brian ferneyhough or atleast another fuck by shitstainkovich. But no. you sent me this triple A shit... minor league material... ok sorry i am being very cruel again. (unless this is isnt drk in which case, i am being very cruel). it even has some of the energy of shostakovich piano trio no. 2 mvmt 4. But none of the freakin notes!!!

maybe there's an angle here of "you broke composition down to its barest essentials!" but like european djs the world over have already beaten ligeti to the punch on this sort of thing. and by that i mean european djs, europe over, did the thing ligeti did here 40 years later or whatever. and if the only distinguishing factor is like the expression and articulation and whatever of the notes, idk that is stuff that i've also heard before. so this is just not landing in this cat very well unfortunately. the ending is cool.

i'm like so certain i've listened to some album performance of ligeti and yet all i can find specifically is the 2001 a space odyssey soundtrack. Which i watched a couple weeks after opening the walrus thread so it doesnt count.
ok ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm well i just watched eyes wide shut which uses musica riceroni no 2 as a motif like 30 times and i was like "wow this is so cool"
for some reason, i hadnt listened to any of the rest of those when i submitted.
here's what it says
schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #262 (ISO) » Sun Aug 27, 2023 7:02 pm

Post by schadd_ »

In post 245, schadd_ wrote: after that i'll take another extra week of intermission (wow i already did this twice... imbarrassing...) and then plan to close out with cat 2 and 8 and 1 WITHOUT more delay. i'll plan to do cat 8 on a sunday which would end up being the 17th of september, and that would want to be earlier in the day so as not to be too punishing for europeans that are staying up for it.
ok i remembered i'm going to riot fest on the 16th and 17th. lol. i thought about sticking with this plan anyway and just going to the festival later in the day but literally the single band that i'm most interested in seeing on the whole weekend is probably playing at exactly 2pm on sunday. i'll let you know how they are. anyway let's say i'll aim to do cat 8 on like the thursday or friday of that week? and then say fuck it and do cat 1 on a sunday which would be the 24th. bc i dont wanna fart around for another extra week. how does that sound...
free darius mccollum

Cheetory6
Cheetory6
MS Painter
Cheetory6
MS Painter
MS Painter

Post Post #263 (ISO) » Sun Aug 27, 2023 10:31 pm

Post by Cheetory6 »

you drive a tough bargain but you have a deal
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Happy Birthday!

Post Post #264 (ISO) » Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:38 am

Post by toolenduso »

I have completed my arc of doing better every round, now there is only one way to go: down
"Half of the game is figuring out who the scum is. The other half is convincing everyone else that you're right." -- PlaysWithSquirrels, in Newbie 437
MUSHSHAGANA
MUSHSHAGANA
IT/ITS
Mafia Scum
MUSHSHAGANA
IT/ITS
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: IT/ITS
Location: Everett-Wheeler Branch Q-5992-CLF3, Third Mouth of the Worm

Post Post #265 (ISO) » Mon Aug 28, 2023 9:43 am

Post by MUSHSHAGANA »

Just realized what's up next. Oh boy, I'm either going to be getting the historical lowest-ever schadd_rus score, or getting gold. I've safely hung in "mediocre" territory so far, but this is not going to be more of the same.
199-member plural system. We kinda exploded. We'll sign if we switch, but it's a host-centric setup round here now.

It/its pronouns only.
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Happy Birthday!

Post Post #266 (ISO) » Tue Aug 29, 2023 4:43 am

Post by toolenduso »

It should be a pretty entertaining cat. I feel mine will perform very well in catfit and very poorly in enjoyment.
"Half of the game is figuring out who the scum is. The other half is convincing everyone else that you're right." -- PlaysWithSquirrels, in Newbie 437
Invisibility
Invisibility
he or she
Jack of All Trades
Invisibility
he or she
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: he or she

Post Post #267 (ISO) » Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:33 am

Post by Invisibility »

In post 251, schadd_ wrote: this seems to be in mandarin - i always wonder about languages with a tonal inflection how that comes across in music where you don't get to do it, especially in this song that has the sound of a western "post-punk" sort of vocal style where if there's tonal inflection in it i don't notice it
yah from my very limited knowledge of both Chinese music scenes and the Mandarin language there's (or at least there was) a pretty big Chinese post-punk scene and a lot of them cover topics about the anxieties of the youths in like the 90s and 00s I think a lot of it cuz (also from my limited knowledge of Chinese history) there was a lot of disconnect between generations of people coming into adulthood in an era of social changes with complexity that I'm not at all equipped to understand

also I chose the song cuz I like a bunch of songs with wacky crazy drumming and I thought it might be neat to instead use a song with simple but very solid drumming
Invisibility is actually AWESOME!
hellbooks
hellbooks
She
Goon
hellbooks
She
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: She

Post Post #268 (ISO) » Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:39 am

Post by hellbooks »

here are my catfits for the song "wuthering heights" by kate bush

inscrutable
- 1 (i guess this is still seriously impressive for how much i've scruted it)
paired vocalists
- 1.8 (this is really all for that moment where the guitar picks up the vocal line of the chorus in the end, plus a small amount for heathclef acting as a silent paired vocalist throughout the song)
cat images
- 2.5 (rightcat is mashing its face up against the windo o ow)
vivid place
- 2.5 (emily bronte doing an unbelievable amount of cheating here)
drums
tired

wandering
space
- 1.8 (like a "wide open space"?)
piano
- 3 and beyond
makes us smile
- 0.2 (the way that ive made thousands of facial expressions to this song and none of them are smiling)

novel musicianship
- 3 (it being based on a novel is doing maybe 0.2 points worth of the work here)
multiemotional
- 3 and beyond
synchronized swimming
- 2 (i imagine the swimmers stretching their arms out beyond the edge of the pool)
forgiveness

i decided to leave out the remaining cats for this walrus just in case someone submitted wuthering heights to them
why does your ferret thing have a waterfall?
your guess is as good as mine
schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #269 (ISO) » Wed Sep 06, 2023 5:13 pm

Post by schadd_ »

ok sooooo cat 2 is getting revealed this sunday at 2pm. (expired on 2023-09-10 14:00:00). i guess this is gonna have a bunch of content warnings which i plan to say aloud and also post along with the songs. i'm also planning to reveal this in a bizarre order that i might bizarrely call "shotgun order" where i spread out the top 4 submissions across the rest of the songs.

cat 8 is gonna be the thursday a week from tomorrow at 7pm. this one is gonna take bonus time to reveal because like 40% of the submissions contain two songs. also i might have to awesomely cancel it and maybe absurdly do it the next monday or something.

cat 1 is going to be the sunday that is uhh after all that. probably at 2pm. i will be revealing these songs in the order i listened to them.
free darius mccollum

schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #270 (ISO) » Wed Sep 06, 2023 5:14 pm

Post by schadd_ »

these all happen to be non-saturday days which is no longer out of an interest of spreading out the days or whatever and is just because that happens to be convenient for me
free darius mccollum

schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #271 (ISO) » Wed Sep 06, 2023 5:14 pm

Post by schadd_ »

and then its gonna be over and i stop listening to music
free darius mccollum

schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #272 (ISO) » Sat Sep 09, 2023 4:59 pm

Post by schadd_ »

In post 269, schadd_ wrote: ok sooooo cat 2 is getting revealed this sunday at 2pm. (expired on 2023-09-10 14:00:00).
tomorow...! or today for some ....!
free darius mccollum

Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #273 (ISO) » Sat Sep 09, 2023 5:09 pm

Post by Aristophanes »

I am excite! =D
Half meme, Half real, All Aristophanes ;)
- Jingle
Ari has appeared way too competent for me to even pretend to know what they're thinking
- MooseEatsBear on discord mafia
it wouldn’t be an ari sig unless it takes up half the screen on mobile - Vonflare
schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #274 (ISO) » Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:15 am

Post by schadd_ »

Spoiler: