Song Contest 203 (Results posted)

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Song Contest
Song Contest
Townie
Song Contest
Townie
Townie

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Mon Aug 14, 2023 5:48 am

Post by Song Contest »

Voting deadline is, indeed, almost upon us!
MiniDeathStar
MiniDeathStar
she/her
Mafia Scum
MiniDeathStar
she/her
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:52 am

Post by MiniDeathStar »

I voted! Sorry, was on vacation and it had kind of slipped my mind. :')

Since people were wondering: Chasmal Fires is about religious trauma. The vocals are muted because they're mostly for atmosphere, but the actual lyrics aren't dull like is typical for the genre. Which by the way is Funeral Doom Metal, but there is a lot of variance there. Ethereal Shroud is sort of unique.

And I'm sorry the song is stupidly long, I actually asked last contest if someone would be interested in a 28 min entry – one person said yes, no one said no, so I went ahead. I didn't actually expect anyone to listen to it from start to finish, but to maybe skip through at random or just listen until they got bored. So that's all on me and I'm sorry if I wasted anyone's time.
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Happy Birthday!

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:33 am

Post by toolenduso »

In post 26, MiniDeathStar wrote:And I'm sorry the song is stupidly long, I actually asked last contest if someone would be interested in a 28 min entry – one person said yes, no one said no, so I went ahead. I didn't actually expect anyone to listen to it from start to finish, but to maybe skip through at random or just listen until they got bored. So that's all on me and I'm sorry if I wasted anyone's time.
No need to apologize, there's no cap on song length in the contest. Always up to each participant whether they're willing to sit through the long ones.
"Half of the game is figuring out who the scum is. The other half is convincing everyone else that you're right." -- PlaysWithSquirrels, in Newbie 437
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Happy Birthday!

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:56 am

Post by toolenduso »

Spoiler: I'll be defiant / The lion / Give them the fight that will open their eyes
Mount Celeste - Ben Prunty - Old Site (Black Moonrise Mix): Ooh, thpooky. This is aight, I enjoy it but it's not something I'm gonna save. DECENT.

Sweden - Ethereal Shroud - Chasmal Fires: Since I'm up against the voting deadline I might not actually have time to listen to this whole thing, so I'm skipping it for now and will come back to it. OK, back to it at the end of the contest. It's been very sonically flat for like seven minutes now. But it's very long, so maybe that's just what this part sounds like. Yeah, it pretty much just calms down and gets atmospheric and then goes right back to the same sound. Not my thing. DECENT.

Peru - Andy Shauf - Try Again: This is some nice and pleasant guitar and lyric-centered indie. DECENT.

Wales - Raye - Black Mascara.: Somewhat unique electronic-driven poppy stuff, catchy chorus. Notes of FKA, except the vocals are like 100% autotune. DECENT.

Chile - OK Go - This: I like the crispness of this beat with the horns and all. DECENT.

eSwatini - Sinéad O'Connor & The Chieftains - The Foggy Dew: Sometimes a vehicle to showcase singing works very well and I appreciate it. This seems like one of those songs. DECENT.

Scythia - Nightwish - Deep Silent Complete: Very much not my kind of metal. DON'T CARE.

Uqbar - Underscores - Spoiled Little Brat: Vaguely Nintendo-core musical aesthetic. Quirky, punchy rhythm. Prominent stutter-step kick drum. Quiet-loud-quiet dynamism. These are all things that appeal to me. Fave so far. DECENT.

Wilber, Nebraska - Hardy ft. Jeremy McKinnon - Radio Song: Oh...........wow, this took a turn I did not expect. So this song is a three-genre mashup. One of those genres, hip hop, I do not mind this version of. The second, radio country, I despise. The third, electro-metal, I really like and is decently done here. The country part of this sort of tanks the whole effort for me, but overall I kinda like it? Points for originality, anyway. DECENT.

Vatican City - Rapunzel's Tangled Adventure Cast - Nothing Left to Lose: The fuck is this? Some kinda Tangled spinoff made for TV? With musical numbers? OK, whatev. This singer sounds like that one guy. Um...Ben Platt. OK, not him though. Oh shit did she just kill her boyfriend? Damn. OK. Well, anyway, this was aight. DECENT.

Mali - Self Esteem - Prioritise Pleasure: Ooh glitch pop. I like glitchy shit. Kinda giving Florence vibes. This is def one of my top songs, maybe number one even. GOOD.
"Half of the game is figuring out who the scum is. The other half is convincing everyone else that you're right." -- PlaysWithSquirrels, in Newbie 437
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Happy Birthday!

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:02 am

Post by toolenduso »

OK all these posts in conjunction with each other had me cracking up. I'm imagining it like in movie trailers when they'll reel off a bunch of one-liners from critics.
In post 9, toolenduso wrote: I have entered another song ChannelDelibird will hate (and which will get 12 points from PEG)
In post 21, ChannelDelibird wrote:
Chad // I Am Waves - Emarosa

You were right!
In post 19, Aureal wrote:
Chad: Emarosa - I Am Waves

Thank goodness it was short.
In post 20, Aristophanes wrote:
Chad: Emarosa - I Am Waves
In the intro I was like "oh, this is the kind of rock music I could probably get behind!"
And then it continued.
In post 22, BS2000 wrote:
10th: Emarosa Song

ugh more 2005highschoolcore
In post 23, fireisredsir wrote:
i am waves
- bits of this were alright but it didn't really do a lot for me.
Pink Ball
Pink Ball
he/him
Silver Bullet
Pink Ball
he/him
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:12 pm

Post by Pink Ball »

Sorry, just voted, life's been crazy this weeks. Big changes going on at work, and just finished moving from an aparment to another, we're still umpacking shit but at least we can all sleep in our beds.

Spoiler: I really liked a few of these

Mount Celeste

Ben Prunty - Old Site (Black Moonrise Mix)

I keep saying I should come back to this game at some point 'cause the ambience was brilliant, and of course the music was a big part of it. It's rather difficult to give this song a score so I'll listen to every song in the contest first and then decide how well this one did since it's a game song that really needs some more context, but it's great nonetheless.
Score: 8.5 out of 10
Chad

Emarosa - I Am Waves

The rythm transition in the 1:40 mark is outstanding. Screaming and screeching aside (which will obviously affect the score), the composition and production of the song is really cool.
Score: 3.5 out of 10
Sweden

Ethereal Shroud - Chasmal Fires

I swear I tried. I listened 15 minutes and had to stop not because I wanted to but because 27 non stop minutes is a luxury I don't have in my life today. I wanted to listen to the whole thing just to say that I did though, I didn't like the song. Edit: because of the length of this song I stopped listening the rest of the list and never got the time to catch up, so I have given it even a lower score for making me almost lose the mark.
Score: 1 out of 10
Peru

Andy Shauf - Try Again

Feel good song, and a good one in that matter. I showed the video to my daughter and she tried to steal my phone. I took it from her, she started crying and had to stop listening. This wont' affect the score I'm giving the song, don't worry.
Score: 7.5 out of 10
Wales

Raye - Black Mascara.

I don't know what's going on with this one that's hitting all the right notes, it's just doing it. The beat is absurdly good, I like her voice, I like everything. Good one, very good one
Score: 10 out of 10
Chile

OK Go - This

No effort in this one; I was browsing Youtube and for some reason I got this one reccomended. I got a bit nostalgic because one of the very first videos I watched back on the day was the treadmill video, it felt like magic. I've spent a massive time watching Youtube videos and I'm starting to let it go, so it was almost poetic that this caught my attention.
Score: Treadmills out of 10
eSwatini

Sinéad O'Connor & The Chieftains - The Foggy Dew

Nothing Compares 2 U's popularity has always been a little pet peeve of mine. I really dislike that song, and I have never given O'Connor a chance because of it. The begining of this song with her singing almost acapella shows that I was clearly wrong, and now I hate that fucking song even more for misleading me. Great song, it's what I'm trying to say. I thought more than 5 minutes would make it feel overextended, but it's perfect as it is.
Score: 9.5 out of 10
Scythia

Nightwish - Deep Silent Complete

Oh my god I was going to say that this reminded me of Sonata Arctica which I don't know anything about other than one or two songs and I see that both bands are finnish and contemporary. I feel like my subconscious already knew this for some reason, maybe I have listened to Nightwish before? I don't know, this kind of metal I'm much more used to and I really like it, but I don't love the vocalist
Score: 6.5 out of 10
Uqbar

Underscores - Spoiled Little Brat

I turn 30 in 3 weeks
Score: 2 out of 10
Wilber, Nebraska

Hardy ft. Jeremy McKinnon - Radio Song

Bo Burnham did it better, but golly the contrast is bombastic. I got a good laugh out of this one.
Score: 6 out of 10
Vatican City

Rapunzel's Tangled Adventure Cast - Nothing Left to Lose

This one need much more context than the Celeste song to get something out of it. Without context (which I don't have), it's just another very disneyesque song, and the burden of being compared to the classics is not doing this one a favor.
Score: 4 out of 10
Mali

Self Esteem - Prioritise Pleasure

The production of the song, although well excecuted, is not doing it for me. This is a song that I would love to listen in a musical, but nowhere else.
Score: 3 out of 10
Song Contest
Song Contest
Townie
Song Contest
Townie
Townie

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:23 pm

Post by Song Contest »

Thanks for bearing with, pals, yesterday was A Thing. Results to come shortly.
the worst
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Tue Aug 15, 2023 9:57 pm

Post by the worst »

:popcorn:
who's scum? i haven't read up yet but like, it's me
--
intermittent v/la until late march
Song Contest
Song Contest
Townie
Song Contest
Townie
Townie

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Wed Aug 16, 2023 1:57 am

Post by Song Contest »

Peru

BS2000

12 - Mount Celeste
10 - Wales
8 - Sweden
7 - Uqbar
6 - eSwatini
5 - Mali
4 - Chile
3 - Scythia
2 - Wilber, Nebraska
1 - Chad

Mount Celeste

ceejayvinoya

12 - Chile
10 - Vatican City
8 - Uqbar
7 - Peru
6 - Chad
5 - eSwatini
4 - Sweden
3 - Scythia
2 - Wales
1 - Wilber, Nebraska

Sweden

MiniDeathStar

12 - Scythia
10 - Mount Celeste
8 - Peru
7 - eSwatini
6 - Chile
5 - Uqbar
4 - Wales
3 - Mali
2 - Vatican City
1 - Wilber, Nebraska

Wilber, Nebraska

pickemgenius

12 - Chad
10 - Sweden
8 - Wales
7 - Uqbar
6 - Mount Celeste
5 - Chile
4 - Mali
3 - Vatican City
2 - Scythia
1 - eSwatini

Current Scores:

28 Mount Celeste
27 Chile
27 Uqbar
24 Wales
22 Sweden
20 Scythia
19 Chad
19 eSwatini
15 Vatican City
15 Peru
12 Mali
4 Wilber, Nebraska
Song Contest
Song Contest
Townie
Song Contest
Townie
Townie

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Wed Aug 16, 2023 2:00 am

Post by Song Contest »

eSwatini

Aristophanes

12 - Mount Celeste
10 - Peru
8 - Vatican City
7 - Wales
6 - Chile
5 - Sweden
4 - Wilber, Nebraska
3 - Scythia
2 - Mali
1 - Uqbar

Uqbar

fireisredsir

12 - eSwatini
10 - Sweden
8 - Wales
7 - Mali
6 - Mount Celeste
5 - Peru
4 - Scythia
3 - Chile
2 - Vatican City
1 - Wilber, Nebraska

Scythia

Aureal

12 - eSwatini
10 - Mount Celeste
8 - Wales
7 - Vatican City
6 - Mali
5 - Uqbar
4 - Chile
3 - Peru
2 - Wilber, Nebraska
1 - Sweden

Wales

DeasVail

12 - Mali
10 - Chile
8 - eSwatini
7 - Vatican City
6 - Mount Celeste
5 - Scythia
4 - Peru
3 - Wilber, Nebraska
2 - Uqbar
1 - Sweden

Current Scores:

62 Mount Celeste
51 eSwatini
50 Chile
47 Wales
39 Mali
39 Sweden
39 Vatican City
37 Peru
35 Uqbar
32 Scythia
19 Chad
14 Wilber, Nebraska
Song Contest
Song Contest
Townie
Song Contest
Townie
Townie

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Wed Aug 16, 2023 2:07 am

Post by Song Contest »

Chile

Pink Ball

12 - Wales
10 - eSwatini
8 - Mount Celeste
7 - Peru
6 - Scythia
5 - Wilber, Nebraska
4 - Vatican City
3 - Chad
2 - Mali
1 - Uqbar

Chad

toolenduso

12 - Mali
10 - Uqbar
8 - eSwatini
7 - Wilber, Nebraska
6 - Chile
5 - Vatican City
4 - Peru
3 - Wales
2 - Mount Celeste
1 - Sweden

Mali

ChannelDelibird

12 - eSwatini
10 - Mount Celeste
8 - Wales
7 - Chile
6 - Uqbar
5 - Peru
4 - Scythia
3 - Vatican City
2 - Wilber, Nebraska
1 - Chad

Vatican City

AniX

12 - Scythia
10 - Mali
8 - eSwatini
7 - Uqbar
6 - Chad
5 - Mount Celeste
4 - Sweden
3 - Peru
2 - Wilber, Nebraska
1 - Wales

Final Scores:

89 eSwatini

87 Mount Celeste

71 Wales

63 Mali
63 Chile

59 Uqbar
56 Peru
54 Scythia
51 Vatican City
44 Sweden

30 Wilber, Nebraska
29 Chad

Congratulations to Aristophanes!
Last edited by Song Contest on Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Song Contest
Song Contest
Townie
Song Contest
Townie
Townie

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Wed Aug 16, 2023 2:09 am

Post by Song Contest »

AniX
AniX
None
UCalled
AniX
None
UCalled
UCalled
Pronoun: None

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Wed Aug 16, 2023 3:25 am

Post by AniX »

Apologies, I seem to have broken the unwritten custom of not top-slotting (or slotting at all?) your own song.
Official Gimmick List:
INVENTOR OF UPICK!
LORD OF THE 11TH HOUR!
ASEXUAL!
KING SCAR APOLOGIST!
DREAMER OF THE NE0N DREAM (SUPP 2021 LAST PLACE WINNER)!

I have donned the
RED CROWN
the worst
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Wed Aug 16, 2023 3:26 am

Post by the worst »

that was so close!!!!
Sinéad, Ben & Raye are such a rad top 3 this was delightful
who's scum? i haven't read up yet but like, it's me
--
intermittent v/la until late march
Song Contest
Song Contest
Townie
Song Contest
Townie
Townie

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Wed Aug 16, 2023 3:52 am

Post by Song Contest »

In post 37, AniX wrote: Apologies, I seem to have broken the unwritten custom of not top-slotting (or slotting at all?) your own song.
Most importantly, in my hurry, I have broken the more pressing custom of 'enforcing the rules'. My bad! Can you tell us who your 11th place would have been and I'll fix the standings?
AniX
AniX
None
UCalled
AniX
None
UCalled
UCalled
Pronoun: None

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Wed Aug 16, 2023 4:51 am

Post by AniX »

Oh, now I see it is an actually written custom I just missed because I read it, forgot it, then went to check the rules under voting when I finally went to vote and and not How to Participate. not. Well, I hereby I offer myself a full pardon and I accept the pardon.

Give me Wales, final slot.
Official Gimmick List:
INVENTOR OF UPICK!
LORD OF THE 11TH HOUR!
ASEXUAL!
KING SCAR APOLOGIST!
DREAMER OF THE NE0N DREAM (SUPP 2021 LAST PLACE WINNER)!

I have donned the
RED CROWN
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Sat Aug 19, 2023 5:40 pm

Post by Aristophanes »

I'm really glad Sinead was able to take this one home! She was a fantastic artist and a much needed voice for many. I was worried I'd make a blunder when choosing from her catalogue as this can be a bit of a niche listening space at times, but I'm glad that was not the case :)
Half meme, Half real, All Aristophanes ;)
- Jingle
Ari has appeared way too competent for me to even pretend to know what they're thinking
- MooseEatsBear on discord mafia
it wouldn’t be an ari sig unless it takes up half the screen on mobile - Vonflare

Return to “General Discussion”