mystery box of silver 15: i'm killing hostages (negotiated)

schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox
Pronoun: he/it

mystery box of silver 15: i'm killing hostages (negotiated)

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Fri Aug 04, 2023 9:53 am

Post by schadd_ »

welcome to
mystery box of silver 15
! i'd hate to be a hostage right now

the theme of this game is uhhh. baseball

reviewed and backup modded by: isis
modded by: me
shoutout to: taxes and tariffs and fees and problems

Spoiler: playerlist
  1. Skygazer
  2. DkKoba
  3. The Bulge
  4. Alisae
  5. xyzzy
  6. BlueSnakelet
    0verki11

7. RCEnigma
  8. MUSHSHAGANA
  9. SirCakez
  10. ofrhz
  11. HighPrincessErinys
  12. sheepsaysmeep
  13. petapan
    Morning Tweet

14. Save The Dragons
    Doctor Drew

15. PookyTheMagicalBear
  16. Ranger
  17. Dannflor
  18. Meuh
  19. iamveryhappy

Spoiler: alive players
  • Skygazer
  • DkKoba
  • MUSHSHAGANA
  • SirCakez
  • HighPrincessErinys
  • sheepsaysmeep
  • Save The Dragons
  • Ranger
  • Dannflor
  • Meuh

Spoiler: reveals
day 1: the bulge was detonated. he was a vanilla hostage.
day 1: alisae was exercuted. she was a town 1-shot extoller
day 2: bluesnakelet was exercuted. it was a mafia goon
day 3: iamveryhappy was detonated. he was a town hostage negotiator
day 3: pookythemagicalbear was detonated. he was a vanilla hostage
day 3: morning tweet was execructed. she was a mafia goon named francis
day 4: xyzzy was detonated. they were a mafia hostage negotiator vulnerator
day 4: ofrhz was execurected. they were a mafia goon.
day 5: rcenigma was execurrulted. they were a mafia goon
Last edited by schadd_ on Sun Aug 20, 2023 5:17 pm, edited 13 times in total.
free darius mccollum
todays featured user: Balki B

schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Fri Aug 04, 2023 9:59 am

Post by schadd_ »

the "rules"
(originally taken from nexus and then squished and bent and wrung out)

general:

- Please adhere to the site rules.
- Do not discuss this game of mafia outside of this thread.
- days will be infinity days long.
- night phases will not exist.
- Do not quote PM's from the mod at all (real or fabricated).
This includes specific timestamps and that sort of meta-data; please ask me if you're uncertain whether something breaks this rule.
Paraphrasing is acceptable.
- If you have any questions about your role, or the game, feel free to PM the mod.
- "Bah" posts are not allowed.
- i don't like players using the term "lynch" in my game, and i make an effort to provide a bunch of fun and stupid alternatives. i would appreciate seeing that effort returned
- it is also against site rules as of like 3 years ago or something

- rule number 1: please do not break the rules if possible.

voting / player actions:

- Vote either with vote tags (VOTE: schadd) or with bold (
vote: schadd
). Note that I didn't include the underscore in my username; you may choose to use a string that will uniquely identify a player to me instead of the exact thing.
- Don't try to confuse me with your votes.
- An Execution will occur once a majority decision is reached. if no majority is reached, the day will end peacefully.

activity:

- You are expected to post at least once every 48 hours. If you haven't posted for 48 hours, I shall prod you. If you do not respond to the prod within 24 hours (either in thread if it's Day, or via PM during the Night) then I will replace you.
- As well, if you require more than three prods, I will force-replace you.
-
If you decide to replace out, PLEASE PM me and don't post in thread after doing so - if you want to rescind the replacement BLEASE PM ME AGAIN and dont post in thread until i have been like "ok np"

things:

-
Aquamarine, 21B35F
is my color. Please don't use it. i dont use it either because i think it's hard to read on mafsilver. Please don't use it
- No impossible/hard to read text, or cryptography. For example, I would prefer that no font size smaller than the one you're reading now be used.
- The mod may make mistakes - please point out any mistakes gently. Mistakes will be corrected where possible, but sometimes mistakes are made that cannot be reversed. These will stand as final to be commiserated over after the game.
- If you need to get the mod's attention, either PM me, or bold the text you wish to draw to my attention.
- I reserve the right to alter/remove/add any rules as I see fit. You will, of course, be notified if that happens, however.

starting with the last game i modded, i'll be giving mafia members the ability to highlight messages to get included in the role PM for slots that replace them. this is just to keep track of things like fakeclaims, and doesn't mechanically affect gameplay.

mafia will be able to communicate with each other during day phases.

there are 14 town and 5 mafia.

nobody will be a psychologist, a ninja, or a traitor. thats for damn sure.

if you'd like to review the conceit of the game:

Spoiler:
i'm killing hostagesany time tommy edman gets a home run, i will kill the member of the town i believe to be the scummiest.

tommy edman

tommy edman is a second base, shortstop and center field player for the st. louis cardinals, and a switch hitter who is pretty mediocre. he has a korean mom, a korean middle name, and he played for korea in the world baseball classic. he is a committedly mediocre hitter, and has planted 7 home runs since the start of the season, slightly less than one every two weeks (with a similar rate last season). in keeping with certain past mystery box setups, you can presume that this happens according to a poisson distribution. (or rather i think it is approximated well by the poisson distribution).

third nested areathis segment serves merely to further illustrate the recent development on the forum where you can put area tags inside of area tags (this is also now true about spoiler=). for some reason it makes the text bigger as you can also see.

when tommy edman gets a home run (in an observable major league baseball game), as soon as i am able, i will process the death of the member of the town i judge to have played the most like a member of the mafia. as my discretion as a moderator is used to affect the game,
that makes this a bastard game
. you can expect that other similar uses of my discretion will be minimal, and i will always make clear when they may have occurred.

i will make this judgement the way i always do while modding, by reading some amount of the game and observing "i would think this person was a wolf if i were playing. yessir." although i plan to pay closer attention to the game and make a more concrete judgement. players should feel free to attempt to influence my thinking; you may highlight certain arguments, facts and feelings to my attention by using the mech tag as such:

schadd, it greatly needs to be said that mastina is just self-evidently scum. you should take note of the differences in behavior compared to her past mystery box entry games in which you labeled her as shiningly town, as well as the numerous mastina experts who have registered similar comments.

you can be assured that i will read everything in a mech tag and attempt to synthesize it into my reasoning. you will often find it difficult to convince me mastina is mafia however.

i am also reserving the right to make an occasional snide remark in the main thread, in which i will attempt to avoid tipping off information about players' alignments but potentially provide an insight as to how i am viewing players. this will not happen more than once every five pages, and i will probably be tempted to do them less frequently the more people use them to publicly speculate on players' alignments.

the player will be considered dead at the time of my posting; this will not interrupt the day or reset any vote counts, although they will of course remove the player from the voting pool, which may affect the number required for a majority and theoretically cause an execution to fire. i will do my best to determine the exact time the home runs occur in case it is relevant to other mechanics of the game (if anybody has a way to get exact timestamps with MLB play-by-play logs that would be cool).

other elaborations:
kim haseong on the bench

• yes this is real. it's kinda going to be the only particularly substantial mechanic in the game. in particular, there will be no nightkills, and out of the 19 players there will be 5 mafia, making this resemble a nightless setup; my assumption is that if i am doing a good job choosing the scummiest townies, this will not
    greatly
    affect the outcome of the game, so this is balanced as though it is a nightless game with a slight inherent disadvantage to town (a 14:5 nightless setup has an EV of .473, which would be considered a townsided number).
  • there will be two backup hitters chosen in the event that tommy edman is placed on the injured list. one will be padres' second baseman 김하성 (ha-seong kim), who has scored 10 home runs this year but fewer than tommy last year. the other will be matt olson, who has scored 28 home runs. additionally, this backup list will be used when certain players are out of contention for the post-season; the cardinals and padres are unlikely to play starting in october, whereas the braves probably will, which means that hostage killings can be expected to ramp up at that time.
  • there will be no deadlines in this game. you are racing against the clock already. i am killing hostages. if this game lasts until the end of the 2023 baseball season, you will have about half a year of respite until killings resume at the end of march (or start of april) in 2024.
  • certain mechanics in this game interact with the hostage killings and cause them to be carried out slightly differently than it is stated here. however, it will always retain the same essential character (of malice).
  • there will be no exceptions made for ELo & the like.

sample VT PM:
welcome to mystery box of silver 15! you are a
vanilla hostage
. you have no special abilities, but can talk and vote freely during the day.

you win when all the mafia are eliminated.

please confirm by telling me what the bolded green text says.
Last edited by schadd_ on Sat Aug 05, 2023 3:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
free darius mccollum

schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Fri Aug 04, 2023 10:01 am

Post by schadd_ »

free darius mccollum

schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sat Aug 05, 2023 3:15 pm

Post by schadd_ »

free darius mccollum

schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sat Aug 05, 2023 3:20 pm

Post by schadd_ »

vote count 1.0 !

not voting (19):
Skygazer, DkKoba, The Bulge, Alisae, xyzzy, 0verki11, RCEnigma, MUSHSHAGANA, SirCakez, ofrhz, HighPrincessErinys, sheepsaysmeep, Morning Tweet, Doctor Drew, PookyTheMagicalBear, Ranger, Dannflor, Meuh, iamveryhappy

with 19 alive, it takes 10 to rake someone over the coals. day 1 starts now and ends when you make it end. i'm killing hostages.

moderateur notes
  • thread unlocked
  • starting the game now right after the cardinals game to give players some time to get going before the cardinals play again (specifically sixteen hours)
  • tommy edman hit three times, a single, a double, and a triple, against colorado's "pitching". if he got a home run before d1 started i would not have counted it.
free darius mccollum

DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: They/Them

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sat Aug 05, 2023 3:20 pm

Post by DkKoba »

tommy edman
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: They/Them

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sat Aug 05, 2023 3:24 pm

Post by DkKoba »

fun fact, tommy edman played today and hit 0 homeruns. very boring
Doctor Drew
Doctor Drew
He/Him
Survivor
Doctor Drew
He/Him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sat Aug 05, 2023 3:30 pm

Post by Doctor Drew »

In post 6, DkKoba wrote: fun fact, tommy edman played today and hit 0 homeruns. very boring
Trying to suck up to schadd by stating what he already said??

VOTE: koba

Don't make me do it....
'dREW DID IT BETTER' - T-Bone
'actually ya drew is useless' - Snivy
'I love playing with him, he's got an amazing presence to him that just feels like the game is lacking something when he's not there' - JacksonVirgo
Meuh
Meuh
She/her
Jack of All Trades
Meuh
She/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: She/her

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sat Aug 05, 2023 3:32 pm

Post by Meuh »

VOTE: ofrhz
Good evening everyone :D
MUSHSHAGANA
MUSHSHAGANA
IT/ITS
Mafia Scum
MUSHSHAGANA
IT/ITS
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: IT/ITS
Location: Everett-Wheeler Branch Q-5992-CLF3, Third Mouth of the Worm

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sat Aug 05, 2023 3:34 pm

Post by MUSHSHAGANA »

Just declaring our headspace team in case it matters to anyone but me.
Orphee, Coda, Ad, Enu and Curse (that's me). If we don't sign and we talk more or less like this, it's just me, otherwise we should sign. I'm doing very little decision-making, mostly just communication.

Judging by the group composition, I'd say we're probably going to wobble around and shitpost and ask basic socialization questions most of the time, try to do very tricky smart things sometimes (and knowing Enu, act very smug and self-satisfied about them), and rarely ask a two or three word question that everyone goes "oh damn that's a good one" about. That said, I don't know how this group plays well enough yet to promise that for sure. Hooray!

Expect intermittency: I owe someone synth organ still, I'm gearing up to start my own music project, and I'm flirting with cute systems at all hours, while also tackling a massive writing project. Also I probably won't do megaposts like I used to in the olden times (2021 or so).

Going to sit back and watch the RVS right now, because dishes and synth organ call my name.
199-member plural system. We kinda exploded. We'll sign if we switch, but it's a host-centric setup round here now.

It/its pronouns only.
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sat Aug 05, 2023 3:35 pm

Post by Alisae »

Skygazer
Skygazer
any
For My Next Guest
Skygazer
any
For My Next Guest
For My Next Guest
Pronoun: any

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sat Aug 05, 2023 3:37 pm

Post by Skygazer »

i have the most queues
replacement queue | upick queue
Skygazer
Skygazer
any
For My Next Guest
Skygazer
any
For My Next Guest
For My Next Guest

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sat Aug 05, 2023 3:38 pm

Post by Skygazer »

i feel like part of me getting old is acknowledging that its okay to like sports sometimes
i have the most queues
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Sat Aug 05, 2023 3:39 pm

Post by Alisae »

i do not like or watch sports
I am here to play nightless game
Skygazer
Skygazer
any
For My Next Guest
Skygazer
any
For My Next Guest
For My Next Guest

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Sat Aug 05, 2023 3:47 pm

Post by Skygazer »

synth organ sounds fun by the way

next weekend i'm gonna give synthesizer lessons to someone i just met :0
i have the most queues
Ranger
Ranger
She/Her
{Top Tier}
Ranger
She/Her
{Top Tier}
{Top Tier}
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Sat Aug 05, 2023 3:50 pm

Post by Ranger »

{Doctor Drew}
{Meuh}
{Alisae}
{MUSHSHAGANA}
{DKKoba}
{Skygazer}
AKA, rBree2. Casual tryhard. I've Quite the RANGE. #pluralgang
"Interestingly though, town winrate in Blitzes has been really high."
- RadiantCowbells |
"Ranger's been town in most of them."
- Plotinus
"Ranger fake claiming? I'm shocked"
- usesPython
Game History
Ranger
Ranger
She/Her
{Top Tier}
Ranger
She/Her
{Top Tier}
{Top Tier}
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Sat Aug 05, 2023 3:50 pm

Post by Ranger »

VOTE: DKKoba
Because why not.
AKA, rBree2. Casual tryhard. I've Quite the RANGE. #pluralgang
"Interestingly though, town winrate in Blitzes has been really high."
- RadiantCowbells |
"Ranger's been town in most of them."
- Plotinus
"Ranger fake claiming? I'm shocked"
- usesPython
Game History
Doctor Drew
Doctor Drew
He/Him
Survivor
Doctor Drew
He/Him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Sat Aug 05, 2023 3:52 pm

Post by Doctor Drew »

In post 9, MUSHSHAGANA wrote: Just declaring our headspace team in case it matters to anyone but me.
Orphee, Coda, Ad, Enu and Curse (that's me). If we don't sign and we talk more or less like this, it's just me, otherwise we should sign. I'm doing very little decision-making, mostly just communication.

Judging by the group composition, I'd say we're probably going to wobble around and shitpost and ask basic socialization questions most of the time, try to do very tricky smart things sometimes (and knowing Enu, act very smug and self-satisfied about them), and rarely ask a two or three word question that everyone goes "oh damn that's a good one" about. That said, I don't know how this group plays well enough yet to promise that for sure. Hooray!

Expect intermittency: I owe someone synth organ still, I'm gearing up to start my own music project, and I'm flirting with cute systems at all hours, while also tackling a massive writing project. Also I probably won't do megaposts like I used to in the olden times (2021 or so).

Going to sit back and watch the RVS right now, because dishes and synth organ call my name.
We could always talk about cavemen slam metal.....been listening to a lot of Peeling Flesh as of late.
'dREW DID IT BETTER' - T-Bone
'actually ya drew is useless' - Snivy
'I love playing with him, he's got an amazing presence to him that just feels like the game is lacking something when he's not there' - JacksonVirgo
MUSHSHAGANA
MUSHSHAGANA
IT/ITS
Mafia Scum
MUSHSHAGANA
IT/ITS
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: IT/ITS
Location: Everett-Wheeler Branch Q-5992-CLF3, Third Mouth of the Worm

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Sat Aug 05, 2023 3:54 pm

Post by MUSHSHAGANA »

In post 14, Skygazer wrote: synth organ sounds fun by the way

next weekend i'm gonna give synthesizer lessons to someone i just met :0
It's for an extremely deathy nu-metal song with a bunch of gated hard-trance chords (I made those too). The outro is this extremely fun funk-hop deal and I'm going to smoothly fade in the organ synth from the distorted super saw chords, then do those long funk-rock sustained organ notes with soul/heavy psych organ licks that warp into more gated trance chords. This is a ton of work, but it will sound so damn cool.

PEDIT: Snuffed On Sight's album was just so much fun. Hunter did such a good job doing the production.
199-member plural system. We kinda exploded. We'll sign if we switch, but it's a host-centric setup round here now.

It/its pronouns only.
Skygazer
Skygazer
any
For My Next Guest
Skygazer
any
For My Next Guest
For My Next Guest

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Sat Aug 05, 2023 3:57 pm

Post by Skygazer »

In post 15, Ranger wrote: {Doctor Drew}
{Meuh}
{Alisae}
{MUSHSHAGANA}
{DKKoba}
{Skygazer}
why is your reads list upside down and why are you voting your second strongest town read
i have the most queues
Skygazer
Skygazer
any
For My Next Guest
Skygazer
any
For My Next Guest
For My Next Guest

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Sat Aug 05, 2023 3:59 pm

Post by Skygazer »

can we turn this game into a compilation album project
i have the most queues
PookyTheMagicalBear
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
Pooky got your back

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Sat Aug 05, 2023 3:59 pm

Post by PookyTheMagicalBear »

my only goal in this game is to somehow get to be the first person to be knocked out of the park by my boy Tommy Edman come hell or high water
Show
"I hope one day I can openly play as wolfy as Pooky and get zero pressure for it grumble grumble."
-MariaR

"I can't even look at the game anymore.
That evil teddy bear has got everyone twirling by his thumb.
It's like witnessing an slow but unavoidable train crash you can't stop."

-Norwee
HighPrincessErinys
HighPrincessErinys
it/its, not they
Mafia Scum
HighPrincessErinys
it/its, not they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: it/its, not they

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Sat Aug 05, 2023 4:00 pm

Post by HighPrincessErinys »

In post 2, schadd_ wrote: Image
In post 3, schadd_ wrote: Image

the fucking AURA on these posts my god
not a person, just a doll~
this one refers to itself in the third person
Get To Know A Doll
PookyTheMagicalBear
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
Pooky got your back

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Sat Aug 05, 2023 4:00 pm

Post by PookyTheMagicalBear »

I'm not going to give reads on anyone
Show
"I hope one day I can openly play as wolfy as Pooky and get zero pressure for it grumble grumble."
-MariaR

"I can't even look at the game anymore.
That evil teddy bear has got everyone twirling by his thumb.
It's like witnessing an slow but unavoidable train crash you can't stop."

-Norwee
Skygazer
Skygazer
any
For My Next Guest
Skygazer
any
For My Next Guest
For My Next Guest

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Sat Aug 05, 2023 4:00 pm