Wandering the Government District

Older threads and ideas relating to the Amstaad RPG.
Yaw
Yaw
Yawesome
Yaw
Yawesome
Yawesome

Wandering the Government District

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sat May 29, 2004 6:36 pm

Post by Yaw »

I'm writing this up, but it's going to be a bit of a joint venture. Expect lots of edits. For the time being, I'm just going to list the buildings in this District of the city. If there's anything else people think of that would be appropriate or necessary to properly running Amstaad, please post in a reply. I'll be filling these out with details shortly.

Council Hall

The Council Hall lies in the centre of --- Circle, which is itself at the confluence of Independence Avenue, ----, ----, ----, and ----. The latter is the dominant street of the Government District, running from --- Circle eastward into the Nobles' District.

The Council Hall itself is a large edifice that opens eastward, and dominates the District. The building contains the offices of all the members of government, as well as the Hall itself in which they deliberate on the governing of Amstaad. Members of the public are welcome to attend sessions of the Council, provided certain conditions are met (weapons left at the door, devices carried at all times to nullify magick).

Civil Works

This building houses the city engineers, who keep Amstaad's water and sewer systems running. The engineers at Civil Works work in conjunction of the House of Al-Edjah, who are contracted to perform services in the Old City. The building itself is non-descript compared to others in the Government District.

Courthouse

Probably the most lavish building in the Government District other than the Council Hall, the Courthouse is home to the judicial arm of Amstaad's government. Here judges pass down sentences regarding transgressions against Amstaad's laws. Sentences are carried out elsewhere.

Taxation and Census

The revenue-collection arm of Amstaad. This is the most imposing building in the Government District, due to the number of guards stationed here to protect the city's vaults. Those who do not work here are normally not welcome.

Mint

Another well-defended building, the Mint is where Amstaad's currency is produced. Members of the public are not unwelcome here, but they are heavily screened and restricted by similar rules to the Council Hall if they wish to tour.

Guild Administration

With many guilds springing up around the city, Amstaad created this department as a way to regulate. Guilds must register here to begin operations, and must adhere to the guidelines set out by the city. The Guild Administration, however, operates primarily as a centre of mediation for inter- and intra-guild disputes.

University of Amstaad

This collection of buildings is less a centre of learning, and more a centre of knowledge collection. In various tomes can be found information about History, Religion, Law, Culture, Commerce, and various known Languages. Of particular note is the Library of Arcana, a small round building filled with grimoires on various Magickal topics. The Library is so enchanted that those not meant to know what is inside will not be able to enter, and once inside one will not be able to read any books with Magickal knowledge he/she is not meant to know.

Military Command

This well-guarded building is the centre of administration for Amstaad's standing army and small navy. Though the barracks are located to the north of the city, strategy and tactics determined here for defense can be relayed directly to lieutenants on the ground by Magickal means.

Museum of Amstaad

Due to its various historical incarnations, Amstaad is one of the oldest continually inhabited cities in the known world. This is preserved in various displays in the extensive museum grounds. In addition to the hybrid Passani-Briaf designed museum building itself, the grounds feature a large Botanical Garden. Also on the grounds, in the centre of the garden, is the Lords' Kitchen, an expensive and chic restaurant that is the place to be seen among those involved in city politics.
Last edited by Yaw on Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Success breeds suspicion
Yaw
Yaw
Yawesome
Yaw
Yawesome
Yawesome

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sun May 30, 2004 12:33 pm

Post by Yaw »

It's a start. Roads that have yet to be named are dashed. I picture one heading out to the Nobles' District through the Government District, one heading westward into the South Mercantile District, and two heading south into the South Commoners' District. I would prefer if the road names come from those mods (hint).

We're going to need a barracks and prison for the city, and according to "Not In My BackYard" principles, they should probably be in the Commoners' Districts. Kerplunk and thorred, does one of you want to volunteer to incorporate these? It might be necessary to put a barracks in each, given that there are two sides of the river. I don't expect the city will need more than one prison, though.

Otherwise, just waiting for Dourgrim's read-through and comments.
Success breeds suspicion
thorred
thorred
Goon
thorred
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Mon May 31, 2004 12:03 pm

Post by thorred »

Sounds good. I'll start incorporating the barracks asap. Does Kerplunk want to do the prison, or should I?
Kerplunk
Kerplunk
Mafia Scum
Kerplunk
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Mon May 31, 2004 8:28 pm

Post by Kerplunk »

Okay. The prison is for me. I'll work right now on some mighty, massive level 11 Human-guards. ;)
Has your mafiagame lasted for only a few days or maybe it dragged on and on and on? Check the [url=http://www.mafiascum.net/wiki/index.php?title=Records]Records page[/url] on the wiki to see if it is a record!
Yaw
Yaw
Yawesome
Yaw
Yawesome
Yawesome

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:24 am

Post by Yaw »

New edit up. I intend this to be the end of buildings in this district. Please let me know if there's anything else you think should be included.

Note that the military command section has been changed to reflect the fact that barracks are in the North Commons. In addition, mention of city patrols has been taken out. In talking with Dourgrim, we agreed that this aspect should be separate from the actual standing military. It would be most efficient to make the City Guard one compound that would include the Prison, so we're going to shuffle that one off to the South Commons if that works for the mod there.
Success breeds suspicion
jeep
jeep
Cappo Bastone
jeep
Cappo Bastone
Cappo Bastone

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Mon Nov 15, 2004 12:35 pm

Post by jeep »

I went through the Shenyang Imperial Palace and it was pretty awesome. The one thing that I liked so much that I'm building it into the world I'm creating as a backdrop to the stories I will write sometime in the next 100 years is the courtyard that was used for military drills.

It was huge. 600 yards by 100 yards, I'd guess. Along the sides, at regular intervals were 10 relatively small buildings. 8 were used as command centers for the 8 divisions of the military. At the head was the Emperor's command center/War room. You walked up a few steps to a platform- the viewing area for royalty during presentations. The war room was big with two stories. The second was closed off, but it had a balcony. The first floor was just a big room. I imagine a table in the middle with maps etc... probably not even close, but who cares.

At the foot and to one side (the emperor's right) was a raised platform for the band. In the empty courtyard, your voice rang out and was LOUD. The stairs up were narrow. I had to duck my head and turn my shoulders to get up to the platform.

The link above has a pretty good picture of the parade area... I have to go, but if you want more details, let me know.

-JEEP
Yaw
Yaw
Yawesome
Yaw
Yawesome
Yawesome

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Mon Nov 15, 2004 2:05 pm

Post by Yaw »

Looks awesome, Jeep. Of course, this world is more European-influenced than Chinese, but there are aspects of that layout that look promising. I'll see what sort of thing will fit when I sit down with our mapmaker to work on this district.
Success breeds suspicion
Yaw
Yaw
Yawesome
Yaw
Yawesome
Yawesome

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Wed Nov 17, 2004 8:23 am

Post by Yaw »

This is going to be a work in progress, as what other mods put in their sections will affect its evolution. I'll keep it in this post and edit as time goes on, then add it to the front post once we know enough about the rest of the city to be able to finalize. Feel free to make comments or pass on information about portions of your district you think important to consider.

Government

Amstaad has an appointed representative government that meets in the Council Hall. The 7+X Seats are assigned as follows:

X seats are for the Noble families, one for each family. Representatives are chosen by each family.

X seats are for the Guilds. These are chosen on a rotating basis by Guild Administration from those Guilds registered. Each Guild is required to serve before any can have a representative on the Council for a second time. The Guilds that are chosen to serve select their representatives internally.

2 seats are for the Passani. Similar to the Noble Briaf families, the families of Az-Iluni and Al-Edjah select their representatives internally.

1 seat for the Chief of the Tiktuk's representative. The Chief is unable to serve himself, but appoints a member of his retinue to hold this position.

Ministers of Justice, Civil Works, Defense, and Revenue, chosen by the associated Ministries.

1 seat for each City Quarter (X total). These positions are selected in various manners, depending on the Quarter -- some are elected and some are appointed.

The Chief Magistrate of Amstaad is elected through a city-wide vote. The Chief Magistrate, and all Council positions are held for 5-year terms. The Chief Magistrate does not sit on the Council, but can introduce legislation, and has the power to confirm or veto any bills approved by the Council.
Success breeds suspicion

Return to “Old Aamstaad”