Micro 1091 - Office Hours (The Curve Mafia PT)

Forum for old private topics
Prism
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Dispersion of Insight
Pronoun: Any

Micro 1091 - Office Hours (The Curve Mafia PT)

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sat Aug 26, 2023 2:32 pm

Post by Prism »

Welcome to Prism v. 1L Year,
Dunnstral
and
GuiltyLion
!

You can find a copy of each faction member's role PM below:

Spoiler: Dunnstral
Don't get me wrong: It's enough if you succeed, but boy does it feel great if everyone else fails too and makes you look that much better.

You are a testament to your own greatness. Law school exists primarily as a mode of your superior expression. You relish the competitive nature of 1L, because not only are you more talented than everyone else, you're harder working to boot. The professors are always left stunned at the quiet but immense intelligence running beneath the surface of your humble questions, and it frequently takes them a moment to gather themselves and digest the subtle yet definite connections between your carefully curated topics and the day's readings.

There are only so many passing grades to go around. If Prism thinks one could be his, he better think again. They're reserved for you and for those lucky enough to breathe next to you. With your effusive charisma and widely-envied talents, you've got your ways of keeping tabs on people and keeping your competitive edge.

Dunnstral, you are
The Gunner
, a
Mafia Two-shot Tracker
aligned with
The Curve

Abilities:
  • Two-shot Tracker:
    Each Night, you may target a player via PM. Assuming no interference with your action, you will be told who that player targeted that night. This ability is two-shot.
  • Cold-called:
    As a member of The Curve, you have a factional nightkill available to you every Night. You must specify which member of the faction will perform the kill. You may additionally talk with your partner at any time here.
  • The Socratic Method:
    You have your voice and your vote. Use them wisely.
Win Condition:
  • You win when Prism caves under the academic pressure, and by that I mean when players aligned with The Curve equal or out-number any remaining Prism Well-wishers. At least one player aligned with the The Curve must be alive to fulfill this win condition.

Spoiler: GuiltyLion
Look, you want your students to succeed as much as anybody. They're bright, yes. Talented, even. Some are really quite clever.

But something doesn't quite sit right with you about this Prism fellow. Bit of a jokester, isn't he? Whether it's the way he dresses, something about his speech, something about his manner, nobody but you knows. He'll make a fine lawyer one day to be sure, but he just doesn't seem to be keeping up with the high standards of the profession, and part of your job is to serve as a gatekeeper to this honorable trade.

The Curve may not be perfect, but there is method to the madness. Prism is about to find out that it serves its role quite effectively, oh yes.

Now Prism, I wish you all the best, of course, but good grades would be worthless if they went to everyone, now wouldn't they?

GuiltyLion, you are
Prism's Civil Procedure Professor
, a
Mafia Goon
aligned with
The Curve

Abilities:
Win Condition:
  • You win when Prism caves under the academic pressure, and by that I mean when players aligned with The Curve equal or out-number any remaining Prism Well-wishers. At least one player aligned with the The Curve must be alive to fulfill this win condition.

Please submit the factional nightkill by bolding it here, for example:
Prism kills Prism
. You must specify a faction member to submit the kill. Note that I will take the most recent submission regardless of consensus. While faction members are able to specify others to make the kill, you are not allowed to take other actions on each other's behalf (i.e. Only the Two-shot Tracker can submit a track).

Please take care to review the town sample PMs and all rules/setup information in the main thread. Note that this thread will be released without redactions in the postgame.

You will additionally find two provided fakeclaims below. Note that you are able to request a fake flavorclaim for a desired roleclaim at any time, so long as such requests are within reason.

Spoiler: Prism's Roommate (Fakeclaim)
Every day you come home happy that you're not Prism, and that you didn't listen to your mother and go to law school. You're a Philosophy PhD, and sure, you might make less money at the end of the day, but everyone knows law school is just for failed philosophers.

While Prism spends his time reading about arbitration clauses, you spend your time for more worthy causes, namely hanging out at Isis's Riverside Pub four days a week and speculating about the nature of cognition. Sometimes when Prism emerges from the depths of the law school basement, you manage to talk him into going out to a movie.

Sheesh, talk about life going sideways. You feel bad for the poor sap. Maybe next year you'll have more time to hang out.

It's only three years, Prism, cheer up. Best of luck, eh?

[Player], you are
Prism's Roommate
, a
Vanilla Townie
aligned with the
Prism Well-wishers

Abilities:
  • The Socratic Method:
Win Condition:
  • You win when Prism passes his classes, and by that I mean when only players aligned with the Prism Well-wishers remain alive. At least one player aligned with the Prism Well-wishers must be alive to fulfill this win condition.

Spoiler: Student Life's Mental Wellness Dogs (Fakeclaim)
Depression, crippling anxiety, and substance abuse issues permeate the legal field, and it starts in law school. The cost of mental health care is on the rise, and while we don't know what tuition increases are funding, we know it isn't more therapists.

But this university cares deeply for its students, and it refuses to give up. Modern problems call for modern solutions. This is an institution of innovators.

PUPPIES IN THE STUDENT CENTER!

That should fix the problem. Hopefully Prism likes dogs. Anyway, there's only room in the student life budget for one of these days a semester, so you'd better make it count.

[Player], you are
Student Life's Mental Wellness Dogs
, a
Town One-shot Doctor
aligned with the
Prism Well-wishers

Abilities:
  • One-shot Doctor:
    Each Night, you may target a player via PM. Assuming no interference with your action, that player will be protected from a single nightkill attempt that night. This ability is one-shot.
  • The Socratic Method:
Win Condition:
  • You win when Prism passes his classes, and by that I mean when only players aligned with the Prism Well-wishers remain alive. At least one player aligned with the Prism Well-wishers must be alive to fulfill this win condition.

Have fun!
Last edited by Prism on Mon Sep 25, 2023 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GuiltyLion
GuiltyLion
he/him
Survivor
GuiltyLion
he/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sat Aug 26, 2023 6:58 pm

Post by GuiltyLion »

hey hey hey!

this is gonna be a difficult PL to win against. Catboi and Ydrasse and Pooky are all each their own flavor of intimidating, and Bell is usually read as obvtown. and there's elle who looks like an alt, so that's a wildcard.

any particular pregame thoughts or plans, or are we just gonna wing it and see what happens? since you've got the PR I'm probably going to avoid putting myself in any kind of situation where I would need to vote you, at least for D1. tracker with a doc fakeclaim available means we're almost certainly looking at at least one investigative, right
"I think I no longer believe in monsters as faces in the floor or feral infants or vampires or whatever. I think at seventeen now I believe the only real monsters might be the type of liar where there's simply no way to tell. The ones who give nothing away"
Dunnstral
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Goodfellas

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sat Aug 26, 2023 7:28 pm

Post by Dunnstral »

We have multitasking which lets me use my track and kill during the same night. Town probably does have an investigative of some sort. Maybe a weak protective to pair with the doctor claim, or maybe not.
Dunnstral
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Goodfellas

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sun Aug 27, 2023 8:45 am

Post by Dunnstral »

Which fake flavor do you want?
GuiltyLion
GuiltyLion
he/him
Survivor
GuiltyLion
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sun Aug 27, 2023 6:44 pm

Post by GuiltyLion »

I should take the roommate VT claim so you have room to claim an action if you get watched or tracked somehow

also two millers is making me wonder whether we have an investigative at all, it feels a bit unbalanced to have the cop pool instantly get narrowed to 6 players. but I'm not really a mech guy so happy to hear other theories there
"I think I no longer believe in monsters as faces in the floor or feral infants or vampires or whatever. I think at seventeen now I believe the only real monsters might be the type of liar where there's simply no way to tell. The ones who give nothing away"
Dunnstral
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Goodfellas

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sun Aug 27, 2023 8:30 pm

Post by Dunnstral »

I think there is a cop. Millers shouldn't be the cop role so we can narrow it down the same way, and we can use both a kill and a tracker to look for it.
Dunnstral
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Goodfellas

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Wed Aug 30, 2023 8:11 pm

Post by Dunnstral »

Lukewarm has claimed 2 shot tracker. I will not be counter claiming that
Dunnstral
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Goodfellas

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Wed Aug 30, 2023 8:59 pm

Post by Dunnstral »

You should claim the 1-shot doctor if you get close to an elimination
GuiltyLion
GuiltyLion
he/him
Survivor
GuiltyLion
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Thu Aug 31, 2023 4:13 pm

Post by GuiltyLion »

yeah now that we know the tracker I think it's safe for me to claim it as we can kill Luke if we need

I'm thinking if I get to E-1 I can explain in more detail my thoughts about catboi framing it as "TvS" because I know if Luke's telling the truth then he won't die so mafia must have some counter to a follow the tracker set up
GuiltyLion
GuiltyLion
he/him
Survivor
GuiltyLion
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Thu Aug 31, 2023 4:13 pm

Post by GuiltyLion »

sorry to be clear - because I would be fakeclaiming that I'm doc as I give that explanation
GuiltyLion
GuiltyLion
he/him
Survivor
GuiltyLion
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sat Sep 02, 2023 6:45 pm

Post by GuiltyLion »

:/ man I feel bad about how that went down

I didn't mean to demotivate catboi that much I was being manipulative and trying to tactically act like my pride was wounded but I didn't think it would escalate to that point

Prism if catboi is hanging around in the dead thread or upset about it OOG if you think it would make him feel any better please let him know that I am mafia and I didn't mean to ruin his enjoyment of the game like that. I stepped on something sensitive and I probably didn't need to do it that way, he was onto me and I defaulted to a card I thought would work, I wish I had known/realized he would be that impacted by it
GuiltyLion
GuiltyLion
he/him
Survivor
GuiltyLion
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sat Sep 02, 2023 7:04 pm

Post by GuiltyLion »

I'm feeling guilty that it also worked to get Bell to reverse his read on me, but at the same time that's exactly why I did it :|

I haven't been scum in a long time, I'm going to reflect and try to learn from this game how I could have been a more fun player while also being a mafia guy. I don't like that I feel like I have to be manipulative to be townread, I need to learn from Pooky
Dunnstral
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Goodfellas

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sun Sep 03, 2023 11:12 am

Post by Dunnstral »

If only town were allowed to act emotional to get townread the game would be less interesting
Prism
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Dispersion of Insight

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Wed Sep 06, 2023 2:02 am

Post by Prism »

I've said to submit night actions via PM but in here is fine too. As long as the action is bolded and unambiguous, I will take whatever is most recently submitted.
GuiltyLion
GuiltyLion
he/him
Survivor
GuiltyLion
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Wed Sep 06, 2023 6:28 am

Post by GuiltyLion »

ok so I see two possible approaches

the safe/conservative route would be to kill Luke to get the PR out of the way

the high variance high risk high reward route would be to kill someone else, mainly I am thinking Bell

my thinking is if one of the miller claims is scum they don't really need to kill the tracker, and Luke is not read town on his own outside of the claim

but if he gets a guilty it could make things thorny, obviously
Dunnstral
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Goodfellas

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Wed Sep 06, 2023 12:29 pm

Post by Dunnstral »

If we leave Luke alive here is how I imagine it playing out:

I would use my tracker on Luke, if they target me It would make sense for me to take the Doctor claim. If they target you we can either have you immediately claim a guilty on luke, or have me "back up" the claim by claiming Beholder, this would mean you die though

Since we have the doctor fake claim, there might not be another protective, so we could kill Lukewarm. We could change our doctor claim to jailkeeper so it makes more sense that Lukewarm wouldn't be protected.

I am up for leaving Luke alive though, but I feel that both you and I are possible track targets
GuiltyLion
GuiltyLion
he/him
Survivor
GuiltyLion
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:22 pm

Post by GuiltyLion »

I agree, I doubt there's a protective in this set up. I think leaving Luke alive is a good move, the scenario where he misses and he's alive is quite good for us and I think killing him would only bolster the two miller claims since there's no reason a scum masquerading as a miller wouldn't leave him alive.

I am willing to take the risk on getting tracked, I think you are better set up to endgame than I am so maybe I should do the kill and you can target Luke so if he tracks you your doc claim is supported. I also agree you can fakeclaim Beholder, support Luke if he guilties me, and that should set you up pretty well for endgame

Do you agree Bell is the best non-Luke kill here? he's pretty universally townread and he scares me because he's unpredictable. Plus since he did townread me at EOD I can claim scum!me would not have killed someone townreading me.

that would mean:
GuiltyLion kills Bell

Dunnstral tracks Lukewarm

feel free to make changes if you're not on board
GuiltyLion
GuiltyLion
he/him
Survivor
GuiltyLion
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:23 pm

Post by GuiltyLion »

@Prism - I intend for that to be a first submission of night actions but if Dunnstral makes an unambiguous change and I do not explicitly confirm (I will be around most of tomorrow so hopefully this won't happen, but just in case) then please take any of his follow up submissions as endorsed by me
Dunnstral
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Goodfellas

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:28 pm

Post by Dunnstral »

I am fine with the night actions

@Prism - can we get a fake flavor claim for a Beholder?
Prism
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Dispersion of Insight

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:13 am

Post by Prism »

In post 16, GuiltyLion wrote:
GuiltyLion kills Bell

Dunnstral tracks Lukewarm
I'm going to be flexible and accept this given Dunnstral's acquiescence in 18, but please note:
In post 0, Prism wrote:
While faction members are able to specify others to make the kill, you are not allowed to take other actions on each other's behalf (i.e.
Only the Two-shot Tracker can submit a track
).
In subsequent nights or attempts to change this action, I will require a clear statement from Dunnstral. Had he not clearly endorsed the action, this would not have been accepted as a submission.
Prism
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Dispersion of Insight

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:14 am

Post by Prism »

In post 18, Dunnstral wrote:@Prism - can we get a fake flavor claim for a Beholder?
Noted, I will try and draw one up later tonight, but at worst you will have it by daystart.
Prism
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Dispersion of Insight

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Thu Sep 07, 2023 1:51 pm

Post by Prism »

Spoiler: The Law School Registrar (Beholder Fakeclaim)
Ah, the start of the new year. Hundreds of new students have flocked in, and much of the responsibility for them falls squarely on your shoulders. No pressure!

You handle most of the logistics and recordkeeping: exam schedules, academic accommodations, class rank calculations, transcript orders, etc. You've got access to every record a student might need in their academic career and beyond. Sometimes, you might even take a more proactive approach if you think one might be struggling. You also help field and adjudicate any academic dishonesty reports, in the unfortunate event one is needed.

At the end of the day, you're here to make sure all of your students succeed. Some of Prism's eccentricities are...concerning and indicative of the bare minimum standard of professionalism, to say the least. There are a lot of students to keep track of, but you'll do your best to keep a close eye and ensure he stays in good standing.

[Player], you are
The Law School Registrar
, a
Town Beholder
aligned with the
Prism Well-wishers

Abilities:
  • Beholder:
    Each Night, you may target a player via PM. Assuming no interference with your action, you will receive a copy of all information your target learns that Night.
  • The Socratic Method:
Win Condition:
GuiltyLion
GuiltyLion
he/him
Survivor
GuiltyLion
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Thu Sep 07, 2023 4:41 pm

Post by GuiltyLion »

ah sorry Prism I will be sure to make Dunnstral submit the action going forward :)

also @Dunn I figure you are already planning this but if you get a result that Luke tracked me then you should bus me ASAP, even if you don't immediately go for a Beholder claim get your vote on me and push me before Luke can out it if possible
Dunnstral
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Goodfellas

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Thu Sep 07, 2023 5:10 pm

Post by Dunnstral »

Alright. Ideally Luke tracks me.