biancospino's Micro Normal Review, September 2023 (Released)

implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath
Pronoun: he/him

biancospino's Micro Normal Review, September 2023 (Released)

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Mon Sep 04, 2023 3:45 pm

Post by implosion »

biancospino wrote: Hi,
I have an idea for a micro normal I'd like to run that would need to be reviewed; I have /inned in the Micro Queue. It would be a 9p, with 2:7 ratio.

setup
WOLVES
  • 1 Neighbor combined Follower Neighborizer
  • 1 Neighbor combined Mailman Rolestopper
VILLAGE
  • 2 backup Neighbors
  • 1 complex TrafficAnalyst
  • 1 personal PTCop
  • 3 Villagers
SETTINGS
  • Daytalk ON
  • Multitasking ON

Spoiler: Role PMs

Welcome to Micro XXXX, PLAYERNAME!

You are a
Werewolf Neighbor combined Follower Neighborizer
. You know that the Wolves' faction is composed of you and YYYY.

You have the following factional abilities:
  • Wolf chat
    — you can talk with the other members of the Wolves' faction at any time [here].
  • Wolf kill
    — each night, if no other member of the Wolves' faction use this ability, you may target a living player. Assuming no interference with your action, your target will die.
You have the following nonfactional active abilities:
  • combined Follower Neighborizer
    — each night, you may target a living player. Assuming no interference with your action, your target will be added to your Neighborizer PT, and you will discover what kind of actions your target performed this night.
You have the following nonfactional passive abilities:
  • Neighbor
    — you are in a Neighborhood with YYYY. You can talk with them at any time [here].
  • Neighborizer Hood
    — you have access to a Neighborizer PT. At the start of the game, no player other than you has access to it.
You win when at least one member of the Wolves' faction is alive and all members of the Village faction are dead, or when nothing can prevent the same.

The Game Thread is located [here].
Confirm by replying to this PM with a summary of your role, or by posting the same in the Wolves' PT.

You are a
Werewolf Neighbor combined Mailman Rolestopper
. You know that the Wolves' faction is composed of you and YYYY.

You have the following factional abilities:
  • Wolf chat
    — you can talk with the other members of the Wolves' faction at any time [here].
  • Wolf kill
    — each night, if no other member of the Wolves' faction use this ability, you may target a living player. Assuming no interference with your action, your target will die.
You have the following nonfactional active abilities:
  • combined Mailman Rolestopper
    — each night, you may target a living player. Assuming no interference with your action, the moderator will anonymously send your target a message of your choice (specified when you submit this action), and all other actions targeting your target will fail as if roleblocked.
    (N.B.: the message you send will be delivered in such a way to make it clear that it comes from a Mailman.)
You have the following nonfactional passive abilities:
  • Neighbor
    — you are in a Neighborhood with YYYY. You can talk with them at any time [here].
You win when at least one member of the Wolves' faction is alive and all members of the Village faction are dead, or when nothing can prevent the same.

Confirm by replying to this PM with a summary of your role, or by posting the same in the Wolves' PT.

You are a
Village backup Neighbor

You have no active abilities.

You have the following passive abilities:
  • backup Neighbor
    — the first time a non-backup Neighbor dies, you will be added to their Neighborhood.
You win when at least one member of the Village faction is alive and all members of the Wolves' faction are dead.

Confirm by replying to this PM with a summary of your role.

You are a
Village complex TrafficAnalyst

You have the following active abilities:
  • complex TrafficAnalyst
    — each night, you may target a living player. Assuming no interference with your action, you will discover whether or not that player is able to privately communicate with another living player. This action will fail as if roleblocked if it targets a Vanilla player. If this action fails, you will receive a "No Result" PM.
You have no passive abilities.

You win when at least one member of the Village faction is alive and all members of the Wolves' faction are dead.

You are a
Village personal PTCop

You have the following active abilities:
  • personal PTCop
    — each even-numbered night, you may target a living player. Assuming no interference with your action, you will discover whether or not that player has access to a nonfactional PT. If this action fails, you will receive a "No Result" PM.

You are a
Villager

You have no active abilities.

Spoiler: Result PMs

Follower:
  • No action
    You discover that PLAYER performed no actions tonight.

• TA/PTCop
    You discover that PLAYER performed a role-investigative action tonight.

• combined Mail RS
    You discover that PLAYER performed a blocking action and a miscellaneous action tonight.

• No result
    Your Follower action failed and you get no result.
TrafficAnalyst:
  • Can comm
    You discover that PLAYER is able to privately communicate.

• Can't comm
    You discover that PLAYER is not able to privately communicate.

• No result
    Your TrafficAnalyst action failed and you get no result.
PTCop:
  • has PT
    You discover that PLAYER has access to a nonfactional PT.

• hasn't PT
    You discover that PLAYER hasn't access to any nonfactional PT.

• No result
    Your PTCop action failed and you get no result.
Mail:
You have received the following message from a Mailman:

backup Neighborh gaining hood access:
  • Both backup gain access at once
    You gained access to a Neighborhood located [here]. Your Neighbors are WOLFNAME and BACKUPNAME.

• One backup already dead
    You gained access to a Neighborhood located [here]. Your Neighbor is WOLFNAME.
biancospino wrote: An update, Alianna is my comod; can she please be given access to the review when it fires?

Also, there is a small error in the PTCop's PM, the word "even-numbered" should not be there
Last edited by Ausuka on Wed Nov 15, 2023 2:56 am, edited 3 times in total.
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Mon Sep 04, 2023 3:45 pm

Post by implosion »

Primary: DkKoba
Secondary: Isis

(Also here are Alianna and Lilith)
Alianna
Alianna
She/Her
Death by 1000 Pagetops
Alianna
She/Her
Death by 1000 Pagetops
Death by 1000 Pagetops
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Mon Sep 04, 2023 3:47 pm

Post by Alianna »

Co-mod ego.
I townread Alianna.

Post #1000s Collected: 23
On hiatus from playing mafia.
biancospino
biancospino
he/she
compulsive complex Inventor
biancospino
he/she
Pronoun: he/she

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Mon Sep 04, 2023 3:58 pm

Post by biancospino »

Hi!

Anyway, the main thing about the game is the all-scum hood with two backup neighbors that can sneak in.

Everything else is just sugar to make the theme kind of work
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class
Pronoun: she/her, not they

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Mon Sep 04, 2023 4:01 pm

Post by Isis »

I can't discern any town power in the setup

The lingo probably needs to conform to the mafia/town wording that most normal games use lest the first player to claim villager become conftown. There's high effort advance notice stuff you can do to fix it and make that not be an issue but I don't think the normal queue is the place to create that problem just to fix it.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
biancospino
biancospino
he/she
biancospino
he/she

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Mon Sep 04, 2023 4:07 pm

Post by biancospino »

About the Villager/Wolf thing, I actually have used the Werewolf theme in the other normals I've run and it wasn't actually a problem. But I guess I can just change it to Mafia theme instead if you think it's dangerous.

You saying Town need some more power?
Would removing complex and changing the PTCop to something else, like a FN, help?
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: They/Them

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Mon Sep 04, 2023 5:24 pm

Post by DkKoba »

feels very swingy in nature ? like not in a mech way but in a setup meta way
retired
"1 thing I will give you Dk, I think you are very good at manipulating. I don't mean that in a bad way, I just think you [have] this way with yourself. You know what to say and when to say [it]." ~VFP
"Koba doesn't really have a scumrange/townrange, Koba will kill your pet cat to win a game" ~Pooky
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Mon Sep 04, 2023 5:25 pm

Post by DkKoba »

In post 4, Isis wrote: I can't discern any town power in the setup

The lingo probably needs to conform to the mafia/town wording that most normal games use lest the first player to claim villager become conftown. There's high effort advance notice stuff you can do to fix it and make that not be an issue but I don't think the normal queue is the place to create that problem just to fix it.
I had raised the same concern in a prior bianco review and implo said its perfectly fine.
retired
"1 thing I will give you Dk, I think you are very good at manipulating. I don't mean that in a bad way, I just think you [have] this way with yourself. You know what to say and when to say [it]." ~VFP
"Koba doesn't really have a scumrange/townrange, Koba will kill your pet cat to win a game" ~Pooky
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Mon Sep 04, 2023 5:27 pm

Post by DkKoba »

i see 2 ways the majority of runs of this setup will end up:

1) town guess the gimmick after massclaim and both mafia just lose, esp if a mafia gets killed early on and town learns there is a hood
2) mafia just stomp because town start killing within their own PRs assuming there has to be scum there
retired
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Mon Sep 04, 2023 5:29 pm

Post by DkKoba »

I think the setup MAY need a minor overhaul, just point at the things you wish to preserve as the base for the setup and we can probably work from there.

a protective probably fixes some issues and some level of restructuring the backup neighbors, perhaps only having 1 so mafia have the choice to kill the neighbor that joined
retired
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Mon Sep 04, 2023 5:30 pm

Post by DkKoba »

actually yeah 1) is super plausible because mafia do not know they need to fake content within their hood and thus end up outing the whole team if 1 goes down
retired
Alianna
Alianna
She/Her
Death by 1000 Pagetops
Alianna
She/Her
Death by 1000 Pagetops
Death by 1000 Pagetops

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Mon Sep 04, 2023 5:33 pm

Post by Alianna »

Arguably the Combined Follower Neighbourizer incentivizes mafia to fake content as they have to neighbourize if they want to get the investigation, but it could be devastating if they decide not to do that for whatever reason.
I townread Alianna.

biancospino
biancospino
he/she
biancospino
he/she

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Mon Sep 04, 2023 5:41 pm

Post by biancospino »

In post 8, DkKoba wrote: i see 2 ways the majority of runs of this setup will end up:

1) town guess the gimmick after massclaim and both mafia just lose, esp if a mafia gets killed early on and town learns there is a hood
2) mafia just stomp because town start killing within their own PRs assuming there has to be scum there
In post 9, DkKoba wrote: I think the setup MAY need a minor overhaul, just point at the things you wish to preserve as the base for the setup and we can probably work from there.

a protective probably fixes some issues and some level of restructuring the backup neighbors, perhaps only having 1 so mafia have the choice to kill the neighbor that joined
Ok so the only thing that I want to happen is to have at least one backup neighbor entering a hood containing at least all the scum, and preferibly exactly them.
Now, would
Informing
a scum of the gimmick alleviate the problem? Like "There is at least a backup Neighbor"; that way they could prepare.

Proctective I assume for Town? I personally don't like at all straight out full Doctors tbh.
The PTCop is a bit redundant* so it can be replaced by something like a Bodyguard maybe?

(* the redundancy was actually intended to be a net negative here, to allow for the possibility that one may not believe the claim of the other. It's possible that is a bad idea thou, probably is thinking about it)
biancospino
biancospino
he/she
biancospino
he/she

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Mon Sep 04, 2023 5:42 pm

Post by biancospino »

In post 11, Alianna wrote: Arguably the Combined Follower Neighbourizer incentivizes mafia to fake content as they have to neighbourize if they want to get the investigation, but it could be devastating if they decide not to do that for whatever reason.
The Neighborizer PT is separate from the hood thou, per how the normal role works I believe
biancospino
biancospino
he/she
biancospino
he/she

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Mon Sep 04, 2023 5:44 pm

Post by biancospino »

The reason there are two backup Neighbors (but I'm not adamant on that) is I'm afraid that if the one is limmed or killed early, then the main theme of the game just doesn't happen at all
Alianna
Alianna
She/Her
Death by 1000 Pagetops
Alianna
She/Her
Death by 1000 Pagetops
Death by 1000 Pagetops

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Mon Sep 04, 2023 5:44 pm

Post by Alianna »

In post 13, biancospino wrote:
In post 11, Alianna wrote: Arguably the Combined Follower Neighbourizer incentivizes mafia to fake content as they have to neighbourize if they want to get the investigation, but it could be devastating if they decide not to do that for whatever reason.
The Neighborizer PT is separate from the hood thou, per how the normal role works I believe
Ohhh.
I townread Alianna.

biancospino
biancospino
he/she
biancospino
he/she

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Mon Sep 04, 2023 5:45 pm

Post by biancospino »

Yeah that would be indeed quite cool if it worked the orher way
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Tue Sep 05, 2023 3:08 am

Post by DkKoba »

Informed mafia neighbors when it's a mafia only hood with a backup is actually necessary yeah. Just to prevent that scenario where mafia choose to not utilise the good thinking it's safe
retired
T-Bone
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
A Cut Above
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Tue Sep 05, 2023 3:26 am

Post by T-Bone »

As your new overlord I rule using the terms village and wolves as fine.
My Top 40 Alt Songs of the Year!

"Playing in a Newbie game doesn't count" ~ PenguinPower, Feb 2019
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class
Pronoun: she/her, not they

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Tue Sep 05, 2023 3:32 am

Post by Isis »

The wiki says "a neighorizer without any neighbors at the start of the game is Normal".
I would parse that to mean "don't do this" moreso than to run neighborizers with neighborhoods that work differently from how neighborizers with neighborhoods always work in themes
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
biancospino
biancospino
he/she
biancospino
he/she

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Tue Sep 05, 2023 3:58 am

Post by biancospino »

What about:

setup
WOLVES
  • 1 Neighbor Informed combined Neighborizer complex Follower
    (there are two backup Neighbors. There are no neighborhoods other than yours.)
  • 1 Neighbor combined Mailman Rolestopper
VILLAGE
  • 2 backup Neighbors
  • 1 TrafficAnalyst
  • 1 indecisive Doctor
  • 3 Villagers
SETTINGS
  • Daytalk ON
  • Multitasking ON

• added the Informed notice [+S]
  • the Follower is complex which should help a little finding the backups if they want to try to kill them before they enter [+S]
  • the TA is not complex [+T]
  • the (mostly redumdant) PTCop is replaced by an Indecisive Doctor. Now, a full Doc I really dislike, but with this sort of gating I do like it quite more. [+T]
I'd much rather keep the number of backup Neighbors at 2; but if it's absolutely impossible to salvage there being two, I'd be willing to remove one, maybe replace it with a Mailma
biancospino
biancospino
he/she
biancospino
he/she

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Tue Sep 05, 2023 4:05 am

Post by biancospino »

In post 19, Isis wrote: The wiki says "a neighorizer without any neighbors at the start of the game is Normal".
I would parse that to mean "don't do this" moreso than to run neighborizers with neighborhoods that work differently from how neighborizers with neighborhoods always work in themes
By this you mean you think I should avoid doing a Neighbor Neighborizer at all?
I do parse the wiki as just saying that the "Neighborizer hood" must start empty, not necessarily that the Neighborizer can't also incidentally happen to be in another unrelated hood
biancospino
biancospino
he/she
biancospino
he/she

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Tue Sep 05, 2023 4:13 am

Post by biancospino »

Mhm, on seconds thoughs I am not sure if an Indecise Doctor isn't actually still too strong. If it is, maybe an indecisive Bodyguard instead?
T-Bone
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
A Cut Above
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:39 am

Post by T-Bone »

Let's get this done quickly since this game is full in the queue, please!
My Top 40 Alt Songs of the Year!

"Playing in a Newbie game doesn't count" ~ PenguinPower, Feb 2019
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:46 am

Post by DkKoba »

Oh that's awkward that this one went into signups before some of the other minis lol oops

Bianco, to speed it up I'll try to shoot out a few suggested designs later
retired

Return to “Completed Game Reviews”