Vash's Guide to FTC

For large social games such as Survivor where the primary mechanic is social interaction.
VashtaNeurotic
VashtaNeurotic
He/Him
Bullet Trainer
VashtaNeurotic
He/Him
Bullet Trainer
Bullet Trainer
Pronoun: He/Him

Vash's Guide to FTC

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sun Sep 17, 2023 6:01 am

Post by VashtaNeurotic »

The final act of any game is Final Tribal Council, where the power shifts to the jury and they get to decide who wins the game. Getting to the end of the game takes enormous skill, but playing a good game is not enough to win, you need to also do well at FTC, which can be a different skillset entirely. Even worse, because getting to the end is so hard, there are few opportunities to practice FTC and chances are that with any given FTC at least one player will never have made it there before.

Hi, I’m Vash. I’ve made it to the end of 2 separate anon games, 1 Survivormeet game and one non-anon forum game. I won 2 of those games and in a majority of them I probably ended up with more votes going out, than I had going in. While I wish I had even more experience, it’s probably enough to give informed advice to someone who is at FTC for the first time, which is the purpose of this guide. First I am going to walk through some general FTC advice then go over specific advice for Opening Statements, Jury Questions and Closing Statements respectively. With that being said, let’s get to it.

Table of Contents

Part I: General Advice
Part II: Opening Statements
Part III: Juror Questions
Part IV: Closing Statements
Part V: Last Remarks
George Bailey
VashtaNeurotic
VashtaNeurotic
He/Him
Bullet Trainer
VashtaNeurotic
He/Him
Bullet Trainer
Bullet Trainer

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sun Sep 17, 2023 6:03 am

Post by VashtaNeurotic »

Part I: General Advice

General Advice #1: Don’t give up.

FTC is hard. FTC is, at times, brutal. FTC will probably make you cry. It happens. The very nature of FTC is an in depth interrogation of your game and how you play, it’s going to suck. Sometimes you will want to stop trying, don’t. Take a break, come back later, but DO NOT GIVE UP. I’m reminded of Survivor: Legendary, where one of the participants felt that the jury didn’t want to vote for them, then their entire closing statement was them saying how they didn’t care and they were obviously losing. They still got 2 votes, and if they hadn’t self-destructed in their closing, they might have gotten more. Like I said, sometimes FTC will make you want to cry, just cry, don’t fight it. I remember answering one question during Killing School Survivor where I ended up breaking down and crying while writing one of my answers. It was one of my better answers because it was raw and people could see me. While not giving up does not guarantee you will win, giving up can guarantee you lose when you just needed to give a bit more.

General Advice #2: Find out where you stand and act accordingly.

It is rare for everyone to walk into FTC with equal win equity. As such, walking in you may be in a situation where everyone wants to give you the win and you just need to not blunder, sometimes you just need to do better than someone else, and sometimes, you are walking in as a heavy underdog and you have your work cut out for you. Depending on whether you have a lot to do or a little to do, how you need to react will be different. If everyone likes you for being a good friend, maybe don’t tell everyone how you used them as pawns, and if everyone is reluctant to vote for you for being too passive, you’ll have to either explain why you weren’t passive or why being passive was better than doing something else. The key to finding out where you stand is simple: listen to the early FTC questions, because you may think you know where you stand going in, but 95% of the time you will be wrong. Once you know where you stand, you can think about what information you want to share and figure out how to share it.

General Advice #3: Different jurors are different. Don’t try to please them all

This piece of advice might seem obvious, but it is important. Some members of the jury will want to vote for you at the start of FTC, others will want to vote for someone else, and some might not want to vote for you at all. Furthermore, some jurors prefer flashy games and others prefer more UTR games, normally this boils down to the fact that jurors like the games that they tried to play. The point is that with any answer you give, unless it is very well crafted, some people will be inclined to like it, and others won’t; this is normal. Furthermore, very few unanimous or near unanimous FTCs have happened on MS, and one of those was because a participant openly admitted to cheating. As such, you probably won’t win every vote, so rather than focusing on trying to please everyone, focus on where you are strong. If you can find ways where you can please people in other areas, that’s great, but that’s a bonus, not your primary goal.

General Advice #4: You and the jurors are people, make sure everyone remembers that.

FTC can get heated. It’s true, and sometimes people get so angry they forget that everyone else is also a person. Even if a juror is attacking you, don’t lash out at them. While it might feel right in the moment, you will likely regret it. Not only is it probably unhealthy but it doesn’t usually help your case. That does not mean you shouldn’t let people know how you feel, sometimes it just takes a little reminder for everyone to cool off a bit. Also, the listmods are there for these occasions, so feel free to talk to one.

General Advice #5: If the jury is being unfair, don’t be afraid to point it out, but be careful.

Sometimes, jurors will be unfair. Maybe they ask unfavorable questions to you, they seem to be a lot more critical of your game than your opponents' or they seem to value the game you played less. Don’t be afraid to include what’s happening in your answer. If you are already not favored to win, you need to be able to shift how the jury looks at your game, and the one of the best ways to do that is to point out where they might be unfair or there is some dissonance in how they treat the other finalists. Arguing with the jury may seem like a bad tactic, but so long as it isn’t done in a manner that insults or invalidates how they played, it can be very useful. After all, you are at the end for a reason even if it’s not clear to them, so make those reasons clear.
George Bailey
VashtaNeurotic
VashtaNeurotic
He/Him
Bullet Trainer
VashtaNeurotic
He/Him
Bullet Trainer
Bullet Trainer

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sun Sep 17, 2023 6:05 am

Post by VashtaNeurotic »

Part II: Opening Statements

The opening statement is your first impression at FTC, and it’s by far the part of FTC I’m worst at. But don’t worry, most opening statements are either just okay or bad, the strong openings are a rarity, and a bad opening can be recovered from, while bad jury questions or closings are much harder to recover from.

Opening Advice #1: Don’t just recap your game

Everyone’s first instinct for an opening is to recap their game, premerge and all. This is a bad instinct. While you should give the jury enough information to understand what you did during the game, an opening that mostly just recaps a game will probably end up being too bland for people to power through, and likely won’t provide the right information or framing to lay the groundwork for someone to move their preferences towards voting you.

Opening Advice #2: Make it easy to read

People sometimes complain about long speeches. Too long a speech can be a negative, but far worse is a long speech where every part is hard to read.
Bold parts
underline parts
or
use different colors
, whatever it takes to delineate and draw attention to certain parts of your speech. Make sure you preview it and make it so someone who is just skimming can get the jist of what you are saying. The last thing you want someone to say after seeing your opening is “you expect me to read all that?”.

Opening Advice #3: Get Personal

The best opening statement should get the jurors to not only understand your game but also to understand you. A statement that gets jurors to relate to you will always be stronger than something that logically explains your moves. Furthermore, make sure you relate to the jurors. A lot of opening statements have ended in parts that just address each juror individually, and while it is kind of tacky to do (and is not word efficient), there are far worse things you can do with your speech.

Opening Advice #4: Don’t Volunteer Your Faults (But Don’t Pretend You Have None)

No game is perfect, everyone knows this. However, this is your opening, everything you say should be positive for you. Don’t try to nip concerns about you in the bud, at best you use up words addressing concerns that will already be brought in questions, and at worst you expose a fault in your game that no one else noticed or cared about. You can make somewhat negative statements like “I know I didn’t play perfectly” or “I was in a bad position here” (in fact if you have none of those statements, you'll come off very cocky) but always follow it up with something positive. People will have issues with your game, but let them explain them in their juror questions.

Opening Advice #5: Talk About What You Don’t Expect Questions On

Sometimes there are things you did or are proud of that can easily fall to the wayside if you don’t explain them. Especially if these are more subtle moves jurors are less likely to ask questions on. While you can also do this in the closing, it’s best to bring new aspects of your game people aren’t familiar with to light in your opening.
George Bailey
VashtaNeurotic
VashtaNeurotic
He/Him
Bullet Trainer
VashtaNeurotic
He/Him
Bullet Trainer
Bullet Trainer

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sun Sep 17, 2023 6:07 am

Post by VashtaNeurotic »

Part III: Juror Questions

After the opening statements come the juror questions. There are some slight differences in how this goes in games. Some give the finalists their own threads, some give the jurors their own threads, and some try to replicate the show’s current “Outwit”, “Outplay”, “Outlast” structure in one form or another. At the end of the day, what matters is the jurors will be interrogating your game. Also this period will likely be the area where you have to adapt the most, since this is where you will find out where you are very wrong about the jury’s perception of you. Keep a good head and the following advice should be useful in answering questions

Question Advice #1: Details Details Details

Jurors will ask questions and lately they have a limited number of questions to ask. This means every answer is precious. As such with every answer, be detailed. Explain your thoughts, how things progress, cross check with your PMs. This is the key to a good response. Before you post always ask yourself, “Is there something more I can explain here?”.

Question Advice #2: Be Yourself (But Show Depth)

Simple advice, right? But important. Nothing can throw a juror off more than the person who they enjoy talking to and connecting on a personal level suddenly shifting to just being strategic. Simultaneously if you were playing the game very tactically, trying to convince the jury you were really there for all the friends along the way will probably ring false. That being said, the issue with doing this is a matter of degree, in either of these cases showing what you were known for but making it clear you had another side will help you, you will only have issues if you try to convince the jury the primary method through which you experienced the game is completely different from what they expect.

Question Advice #3: Make Comparisons

At FTC you are competing against one or two other people and the jury has to choose who to vote for. Make their job easy, compare yourself to them, how you are different. Especially focus on areas where you were better (or at least more well rounded). You’ll really want to crystalize these differences in your closing statement, but you need to lay the groundwork earlier.

Question #4: Have a Fighting Spirit

Jurors like passionate players. You are not entitled to any vote, you need to EARN the votes. So be passionate, don’t let people just denigrate your game and get away with it. You made the end, show why. Put everything you have into your answers and don’t be afraid to go on a passionate rant, it usually helps (so long as you aren’t insulting anyone).

Question Advice #5: Don’t Invalidate Your Opponents Games

There is a fine line between being passionate and making comparisons with your opponents, and trying to invalidate their games. They made the end as well and deserve to be there. So while you should point out flaws in their game, they should be framed as things to consider or areas where you did better, not reasons to wholesale disregard them. Aside from it being mean to do, it’s also tactical not to do this. Back in Survivor Killing School Semester, I made this mistake. I had to fight hard but in the process I implied Nagito had played very badly and was indistinguishable from Shuichi, this came back to bite me when the votes tied and Nagito (who otherwise might have considered voting for me) very easily voted for Shuichi to win.
George Bailey
VashtaNeurotic
VashtaNeurotic
He/Him
Bullet Trainer
VashtaNeurotic
He/Him
Bullet Trainer
Bullet Trainer

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sun Sep 17, 2023 6:07 am

Post by VashtaNeurotic »

Part IV: Closing Statements

The last part before the jurors vote is closing statements. This is your last chance to sway any jurors who are on the fence and pull votes from your opponents. Some people have thought that closing statements rarely matter, those people are wrong. While it is true that closings may only change a handful of votes, a lot of FTCs have been won be less than a handful of votes, so a good closing quite literally can be the difference between a victory and a defeat. As such, here is some advice.

Closing Advice #1: Crystallize

In questions you really want to cover everything you can, but in your closing statement, you need to really drill down on a few key areas. You need to make comparisons between you and the other finalists in areas where you have some advantage and make it clear that’s why you should win. A closing statement that just says “I played a good game” without making it clear why it’s a better game wastes a huge opportunity.

Closing Advice #2: Have Multiple Arguments

If your closing argument is just giving one main reason to vote for you (with maybe a few other sentences trickled in), you are probably going to lose. Different jurors are different, so you need to appeal to the different kinds of jurors. Some only care about game, you won’t win those with a passionate plea. Some care about relationships, just talking about game won’t help them. Furthermore even under “best game” some jurors prefer aggressive vs passive play.

Closing Advice #3: Reframe FTC

Jury questions are messy and in the moment and somewhat disorganized. The job of your closing is not just to clarify why you should win, but give a framing to the FTC. What was the game about? What makes a winning game? Why should some things be valued above others? But also, reframe your opponents' and your responses to questions and the themes of your games. Were the positives actually positives for their games? Were the negatives of your game actual negatives? For example, in my closing statement from Power vs. Courage vs. Wisdom, I reframed my passive play as reactive play and showed how it consistently put me in a better position to make it further in the game. Urbosa meanwhile reframed her role as a “Dragon” as a mark of pride, as no one showed up to slay the Dragon. She also reframed FTC around the theme of the game and showed she demonstrated Power, Courage and Wisdom. A closing should make it easy for people to vote for you, and good framing is key to this.

Closing Advice #4: Not Every Vote for You is a Vote FOR You

There are times during FTC where if the jurors had an option, they’d vote for no one to win. This also means that sometimes a vote for a finalist is more a vote AGAINST another finalist. One vote Nagito got in Killing School Semester came because the person didn’t want Shuichi to win (funnily Shuichi won because of this) and a good portion of my votes to win Survivor: Power vs. Courage vs. Wisdom were not because those jurors wanted me to win, but because they were less enthused by the other finalists’ games. As such, in your closing, it is tactical to be critical of your opponents' games. This does not mean dismiss them wholesale, but you should highlight their flaws as it might remind the jurors not just why to vote for you, but why not to vote for them. Just be sure to not be too aggressive or rude to the other finalists, it is a game and comparisons must be made, but they are people and are at FTC for a reason. By virtue of having made FTC, they have played a good game, but not necessarily a perfect one.
George Bailey
VashtaNeurotic
VashtaNeurotic
He/Him
Bullet Trainer
VashtaNeurotic
He/Him
Bullet Trainer
Bullet Trainer

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sun Sep 17, 2023 6:09 am

Post by VashtaNeurotic »

Part V: Last Remarks

There’s a lot that goes into a good FTC, and it’s impossible to do it perfectly, but following this advice, you should be a lot less lost when you make it there. It’s also important not just to follow the advice but think about how you are following it. A good plan executed poorly can easily lose to a bad plan executed to perfection. And if you make it to FTC and come up short, keep your chin up, there will be other games after all.
George Bailey
VashtaNeurotic
VashtaNeurotic
He/Him
Bullet Trainer
VashtaNeurotic
He/Him
Bullet Trainer
Bullet Trainer

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sat Jan 06, 2024 11:04 am

Post by VashtaNeurotic »

Bumping because moving posts keeps the original dates of the posts (sorry for not moving it sooner y'all, got distracted by actually running a game and then the holidays).
George Bailey

Return to “ORGs and Large Social Games”