Stop doing 48 hour nights

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: They/Them

Stop doing 48 hour nights

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:23 am

Post by DkKoba »

Title.

24 hour nights should be standard.
retired
"1 thing I will give you Dk, I think you are very good at manipulating. I don't mean that in a bad way, I just think you [have] this way with yourself. You know what to say and when to say [it]." ~VFP
"Koba doesn't really have a scumrange/townrange, Koba will kill your pet cat to win a game" ~Pooky
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea
Pronoun: He / Him / His

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:28 am

Post by Ircher »

Why? 24 hour nights can be problematic for people in other time zones from the moderator.
Links: User Page | GTKAS
Do you have questions, ideas, or feedback for the Scummies? Please pm me!
Cook
Cook
She
Mafia Scum
Cook
She
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: She

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:39 am

Post by Cook »

i agree i will never make a 48 hour night again

all of mine will now be 49 hour nights (/j)
Your friendly neighborhood chef and baker. LONG LIVE THE CHEFHAT REBELLION!
Cults With Guns //
"ya true if you don't play mafia you are probably winning" – Alisae

Inventor of 3d20 //
Successful Rebellion Leader//
TemporalLich
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
Grand Scheme

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:44 am

Post by TemporalLich »

In post 0, DkKoba wrote: Title.

24 hour prod timers should not be a thing outside of blitz games, therefore 24 hour nights should not be a thing outside of blitz games.
time will end
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:30 am

Post by DkKoba »

In post 1, Ircher wrote: Why? 24 hour nights can be problematic for people in other time zones from the moderator.
I have never had an issue running 24 hour nights on this site.

And re:prod timers, they are not there to be stretched, they are a safety buffer.

Regardless it attracts the type of player that won't flake

36 hrs probably works too.
48 is just too long and almost always ends up being longer than 48 hours
retired
"1 thing I will give you Dk, I think you are very good at manipulating. I don't mean that in a bad way, I just think you [have] this way with yourself. You know what to say and when to say [it]." ~VFP
"Koba doesn't really have a scumrange/townrange, Koba will kill your pet cat to win a game" ~Pooky
Cheery Dog
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Kayak

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Wed Oct 25, 2023 1:22 pm

Post by Cheery Dog »

Bring back 72 hours
Holder of the Longest Continuous Weekly Mafiascum Post Record. 1 July 2012 - 16 Feb 2023
*It may be held by someone else if you discount the major downtime in 2012 and 2014, I'm not doing the research.
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:05 pm

Post by Zachrulez »

In post 5, Cheery Dog wrote: Bring back 72 hours
Oof. I still remember impatiently waiting this long for day phases to start back in the day.
Cook
Cook
She
Mafia Scum
Cook
She
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:27 pm

Post by Cook »

would you accept a 1 hour night
Cults With Guns //

Inventor of 3d20 //
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:30 pm

Post by DkKoba »

In post 7, Cook wrote:

i have played with 1 hour nights. it was . interesting. but no thank you.

(23/1)

I actually have shifted to thinking 36 hour nights to match standard prod timers is ideal.

48 hours always means MORE than 48 hours. 36 hours will easily mean 36-48 hours.
retired
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:58 pm

Post by Zachrulez »

In post 8, DkKoba wrote:
In post 7, Cook wrote:

(23/1)

I actually have shifted to thinking 36 hour nights to match standard prod timers is ideal.

48 hours always means MORE than 48 hours. 36 hours will easily mean 36-48 hours.
48 hours is the point I couldn't come back from. I used to be able to take weekends to breathe from the game but then I started finding prods in my inbox toward the end of my playing time.

I could play something either significantly faster or significantly slower paced... but I can't really do the in between. (Which is where the site culture has really wanted to be in the last decade.)
Cook
Cook
She
Mafia Scum
Cook
She
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Thu Oct 26, 2023 5:09 pm

Post by Cook »

hmm. what do you think about regularly-scheduled mafia games that fire on a long weekend and finish by the end of it
Cults With Guns //

Inventor of 3d20 //
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Thu Oct 26, 2023 5:17 pm

Post by Zachrulez »

I actually did play in and run a game once with 96 hour day cycles and 24 hour night cycles that was designed to be run faster than the site norm. (Played the first game of it's kind and then later modded a sequel.)

It's wild that 24 hour night is being discussed as a site norm now.
Skygazer
Skygazer
any
For My Next Guest
Skygazer
any
For My Next Guest
For My Next Guest
Pronoun: any

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Fri Oct 27, 2023 5:06 am

Post by Skygazer »

I personally don't think I would play in a short deadline game if only because my motivation levels vary so much. Maybe in a micro under the right circumstances. Blitz-paced games could be interesting to play in/moderate if I have a long weekend with nothing to do, too, but most of the time I wouldn't be able to. 10-14 days is kind of my sweet spot, maybe 7 for micros.

There is kind of an empty bored feeling when a game goes to night and you have nothing to do for a day or two but still want to post. I used to just sign up for multiple games because of that (or fill the itch with Town of Salem), but I'm kind of a one game at a time gal lately. As a mod, I've thought about running a game with night talk in the main thread to alleviate that, but still haven't gotten around to it outside of a marathon game I ran a while back. Nowadays when I'm bored during a night phase I just take game notes or play chess instead or something.

Speaking as a game moderator, I feel like there would be many more missed night actions for 24 hour nights. 36 hours would probably be better, but yeah the thing where night ends at 3am would kind of make it inherently longer than 36 hours a lot of the time anyways. With 48 hours I can generally have more of a guarantee the game will open within the hour, unless I happen to be awake later than I should be at hammer-time (in which case I go back and forth between the solutions of "slightly longer night" vs "slightly longer twilight" depending on how I feel). Granted, I have a pretty nice set of life circumstances that allow me to be as on top of my game modding as I usually am.

That being said, I wouldn't be opposed to running a shorter deadline game some time to see what the appetite is for it. I can probably keep up with modding at MU pace way better than I could play.

Anyways, IIRC, the last short deadline game I saw in the queue had trouble filling because it was so dependent on people's schedules (and that was like a three to five player game I think, lol). The blitz queue was before my time but I remember hearing that had trouble taking off as well.

My two cents.
i have the most queues
replacement queue | upick queue
Cook
Cook
She
Mafia Scum
Cook
She
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Fri Oct 27, 2023 5:36 am

Post by Cook »

reminder that Instant Night exists. i think you could probably run a game like it in this manner:
  • 10 day days, 24 hour nights
  • You may premove your power roles, and scum partners/mason buddies are allowed to proxy night actions for you if you give them prior permission
  • Thread is automatically unlocked after the 24-hour period in a "Dawn" phase, but the day does not start until night actions have been resolved
this would keep the game moving forward, ideally, since discussion could still happen even if replacements needed to be found, or the mod is taking awhile to resolve night actions, etc.

it also means the night phase is more or less a "double-check" phase, wherein you can verify that you really want to do the move that you're planning

you probably shouldn't accept action submissions after the 24 hour period. you might need to lengthen the 24 hour period if someone (anyone in the playerlist, not just a night actor, to prevent angleshooting) is on V/LA so they can submit night actions
Cults With Guns //

Inventor of 3d20 //
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Fri Oct 27, 2023 8:52 am

Post by Something_Smart »

In post 1, Ircher wrote: Why? 24 hour nights can be problematic for people in other time zones from the moderator.
I think it's even worse when you're in a different time zone from your scumbuddy.

Arguably, a better mechanic might be to make fast nights the default on every night, so if everyone does submit early enough then you don't have to wait. I don't think 24 hours is always long enough for a scumteam to discuss and arrive on the right target for multiple different night actions.
It's always the same. When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die. You don't know whose children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they're always going to have to do from the very beginning... SIT DOWN AND TALK!
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Fri Oct 27, 2023 11:08 am

Post by Alisae »

In post 12, Skygazer wrote: Speaking as a game moderator, I feel like there would be many more missed night actions for 24 hour nights.
Disagree but its context dependent and depends on the playerlist.
People are individuals and I think our regular userbase would be okay if nights were 24 hours.

Shorter days will almost never have an audience on this website. That's just not the niche this website plays too.
Skygazer
Skygazer
any
For My Next Guest
Skygazer
any
For My Next Guest
For My Next Guest
Pronoun: any

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Fri Oct 27, 2023 11:34 am

Post by Skygazer »

I should clarify that by "many more" I didn't mean "it'll happen a lot," but I think it would happen more than it happens now (which is rare to be fair).

Pre-moving kind of solves that issue anyways.
i have the most queues
replacement queue | upick queue
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Fri Oct 27, 2023 4:31 pm

Post by Zachrulez »

In post 15, Alisae wrote: Shorter days will almost never have an audience on this website. That's just not the niche this website plays too.
I disagree with this statement because I actually found an audience for that exact type of game and am fairly certain I could have run multiple games in that format if it hadn't been toward the end of my time on the site. viewtopic.php?t=57689
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: Any

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Sat Oct 28, 2023 8:42 am

Post by Gamma Emerald »

In post 8, DkKoba wrote:
In post 7, Cook wrote:

(23/1)

I like this idea
<Embrace The Void>

“A flipped coin doesn't always land heads or tails. Sometimes it may never land at all...”
RH9
RH9
he/him
Mafia Scum
RH9
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Sat Oct 28, 2023 12:04 pm

Post by RH9 »

In post 14, Something_Smart wrote:
I think it's even worse when you're in a different time zone from your scumbuddy.

Arguably, a better mechanic might be to make fast nights the default on every night, so if everyone does submit early enough then you don't have to wait. I don't think 24 hours is always long enough for a scumteam to discuss and arrive on the right target for multiple different night actions.
I'd agree with this.
GTKAS: 2022, 2024

v/la every weekend

indefinite hiatus from mafia solo
Cook
Cook
She
Mafia Scum
Cook
She
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Sat Oct 28, 2023 12:36 pm

Post by Cook »

my next game is a 36 hour night game
Cults With Guns //

Inventor of 3d20 //
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:03 pm

Post by BBmolla »

No night phases, pre-submit night actions
Come see me in the Great American Melodrama in Oceano
yessiree
yessiree
he
Mafia Scum
yessiree
he
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:51 pm

Post by yessiree »

I think 36 hours is ideal.
In the worst case scenario with the scum team having major time zone differences, I'd want to give each of them a chance to check in
twice
, with the assumption that they would check in every day. 24 hours is stretching it - people's schedules may not allow them to check in for a second time to respond to stuff.
yessiree
yessiree
he
Mafia Scum
yessiree
he
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Tue Oct 31, 2023 4:08 pm

Post by yessiree »

In post 14, Something_Smart wrote:

I think default fast nights can be taken advantage of by some people to town clear players in the game when they know said players couldn't have checked in to submit night actions. I know it IS out-of-game influence but they don't need to truthfully justify their reasoning but it does effectively reduce their scum pool.
Random Nurse
Random Nurse
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Random Nurse
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Tue Oct 31, 2023 4:23 pm

Post by Random Nurse »

Considering most games have Daytalk, 24-hour nights would be nice. It doesn't take THAT long to decide your night actions (matter of seconds, typically).

There ought to be an extra email sent out to every player at night too asking if they want a fast night, otherwise it for sure rarely if ever happens.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”