Normal Game Changes (New Year 2024 Update)

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Ausuka
Ausuka
she/her
Team Mafia Winner
Team Mafia Winner
Ausuka
she/her
Team Mafia Winner
Team Mafia Winner
Team Mafia Winner
Team Mafia Winner
Pronoun: she/her

Normal Game Changes (New Year 2024 Update)

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Tue Oct 31, 2023 5:58 am

Post by Ausuka »

Normal Game Announcement - Halloween 2023 Update

Hi, everyone! If you didn't know already, I'm the new listmod for the Normal Queue. I'm very happy to take over this role, and I'm hoping to get the chance to improve this queue over time and help this site thrive. In my years on the site, I've enjoyed playing in the Normal Queue a lot, and I've seen it change a lot with the times as well. Particularly in recent years, there's been a shift in the meta of Normal games. People have always enjoyed pushing the boundaries of what is considered 'Normal' and trying to make unique and memorable setups. However, over time, the idea of what's Normal has expanded quite a lot, and the end result is a situation where people signing up for Normal games often don't have a clear idea of the kind of setup they'll be playing. This challenges the original purpose of the Normal queue as a place where people can sign up to play standard and straightforward games. The change hasn't been all negative - some users do enjoy more complex Normals due to their creativity while not diverging from a traditional mechanical structure.

But with the sunsetting of the Newbie queue, I think the problem becomes a lot more important to address. Newbie setups (e.g. NewD3, 2d3, and Matrix6), provided an environment where new players were introduced to the site with a limited set of power roles for them to learn, making the learning curve easier. The Normal Queue will never quite be that, but I think a lot of Normal games don't provide a Newbie friendly experience, even though the Normal queue (along with the Open queue) has now become the entry point for new players. Additionally, there are a lot of more experienced players who would like to know what kind of 'Normal experience' they would be signing up for, if they were to join a game.

Since I became the Normal listmod, I've been thinking and discussing with the Normal Review Group about ways we can address these issues. The result of this is something I'm going to call the Compartment System. There will now be three 'compartments' for Normal game designs.
All Normal games will have to be designed as Simple, Regular, and Complex, and all these compartments have different requirements. This will introduce some complexity on the administrative end, but I think we are capable of handling it. And I think for a new user, the process of signing up for a simple game, checking the wiki link provided by the moderator, and understanding the potential roles that could be in the game will be easier than the current system where we have 53 roles, and many more modifiers (of which roles often have multiple). I think this will also allow players to have a better idea of what they are signing up for when they join a Normal game.

Here's a list of what the intention behind all three compartments is:

Simple
  • Roles and modifiers which are basic and easy for new players to understand.
  • Limited role list for the purposes of simplicity.
  • A standard game which fulfills the traditional idea of a Normal game.
  • Absence of Mod WIFOM or curveballs.

Regular
  • Roles and modifiers which are straightforward and not too challenging for new players to understand.
  • Moderate role list to provide a Normal experience.
  • A standard game which fulfills the modern idea of a Normal game.
  • Limited Mod WIFOM or curveballs.

Complex
  • Roles and modifiers which are fundamentally Normal.
  • Expansive role list for the purposes of creativity.
  • A more experimental game which is similar to many complex Normals ran today.
  • Mod WIFOM or curveballs should be expected.

And here's a detailed list of the new system, which will also be available on the wiki:

Compartment System
Roles which are allowed in Simple games:

Bodyguard, Bulletproof, Doctor, Gunsmith, Jailkeeper, Macho, Neapolitan, Neighborizer, Roleblocker, Rolecop, Tracker, Watcher, Vanilla Cop

Roles which are allowed in Simple games for Town only:

Cop, Friendly Neighbor, Innocent Child (activated by default), Mason, Vigilante

Roles which are allowed in Simple games for Mafia only:

Juggernaut

Modifiers which are allowed in Simple games:

X-shot, Odd-Night/Even-Night, Novice

Simple Rules:

No multiball, meaning only one Mafia faction.

No Serial Killers or any other third party.
The only approved ratios are; 7:2, 10:3, 13:4, 16:5.
Vigilante may not be used in Micro games.
No additional information in the opening posts.

Active Roles which are allowed in Regular games:

Alien, Babysitter, Bodyguard, Commuter, Cop, Detective, Doctor, Fruit Vendor, Gunsmith, Hider, Jack of All Trades, Jailkeeper, Messenger, Motion Detector, Neapolitan, Neighborizer, PT Cop, Reporter, Roleblocker, Rolecop, Rolestopper, Role Watcher, Shield, Tracker, Traffic Analyst, Vanilla, Vanilla Cop, Watcher

Passive Roles which are allowed in Regular games:

Ascetic, Bulletproof, Macho, Neighbor, Universal Backup

Roles which are allowed in Regular games for Town only:

Friendly Neighbor, Mason (passive), Innocent Child (passive), Vigilante

Roles which are allowed in Regular games for Mafia only:

Juggernaut, Ninja

Modifiers which are allowed in Regular games:

Activated, Any Night Specific (Odd-Night, Novice, Night 2, etc), Disloyal, Indecisive, Lazy, Loyal, Non-Consecutive Night, Personal, Weak, X-shot

Regular Rules:

No multiball or Serial Killer in minis, but they are allowed in larges - though they must be announced in signups.
No third party except Serial Killer.
Games may be Micro (7-9 players), Mini (10-13 players) or Large (14+ players). Micro games may have a maximum of 2 mafia, and Mini games a maximum of 3 mafia. Large games have no such limit.

Active Roles which are allowed in Complex games:

Alien, Babysitter, Bodyguard, Checker, Commuter, Cop, Detective, Doctor, Finder, Follower, Fruit Vendor, Gunsmith, Hider, Inspector, Inventor, Jack of All Trades, Jailkeeper, Messenger, Modifier Cop, Motion Detector, Neapolitan, Neighborizer, Ninja, Observer, Psychologist, PT Cop, Reporter, Roleblocker, Rolecop, Role Guard, Rolestopper, Role Watcher, Security Guard, Shield, Strengthener, Tracker, Traffic Analyst, Vanilla Cop, Vigilante, Visionary, Visitor, Watcher

Passive Roles which are explicitly Complex for any alignment include:

Ascetic, Backup, Bulletproof, Enabler, Encryptor, Informed, Macho, Neighbor, Role-Immune, Universal Backup

Roles which are explicitly Complex for Town only include:

Friendly Neighbor, Mason (passive), Miller, Innocent Child (passive), Vengeful

Roles which are explicitly Complex for Mafia only include:

Godfather (passive), Juggernaut, Traitor

Modifiers which are allowed in Complex games include:

Activated, Announcing, Any Night Specific (Odd-Night, Novice, Night 2, etc), Combined, Complex, Compulsive, Disloyal, Indecisive, Lazy, Loud, Loyal, Non-Consecutive Night, Personal, Roaming, Simple, Strongwilled, Weak, X-shot

Experimental Role List

Godfather, Inventor, Modifier Cop, Role-Immune, Strengthener, Strongwilled

Complex Rules:

Serial Killer is allowed in mini games but must be announced. SK in larges does not need to be announced. Multiball is allowed in larges but must be announced. Still no multiball or SK in micros.
No third party except Serial Killer.
Game may be any size and ratio.
Godfather must be announced at gamestart.
-There is a game slot reserved for 'Newbie Friendly' games, meaning Simple or Regular game which is Mini or Micro size.

The Experimental Role List has no substantial affect on gameplay, but indicates roles that are being 'trialed' - they are allowed in Complex games, but this should be expected to change at any time if they are found to have some kind of negative impact on the meta or be poorly suited to Normal games. Ideally, over time, all roles should be removed from the list eventually - either because they are deemed to be appropriate and no longer need to be on the list, or because they are deemed to be inappropriate and removed from Normals altogether. Roles may be added to indicate that certain roles in the Complex compartment are potentially problematic and could be removed in the future, or when totally new roles are added to Normals.

There is some degree of flexibility here - I don't think, if your game contains Regular roles or modifiers, you should be able to run it as Simple, and so on. However, if you want to run a game as more complex than the roles and modifiers would suggest, that's up to the reviewers. I think it's possible to create a game in the Regular system which a reasonable person would classify as Complex, especially if you're actively trying to do so, although I also think the system naturally lends itself to less complex games.

This will also involve minor changes to moderation requirements for Normal games. First-time moderators will not be able to moderate Large or Complex games. They can choose to moderate a Simple or Regular game of Micro or Mini size.

On a practical level, this system will apply to any game which is not already in review. The current backlog of games will go ahead as planned. However, when you /in to mod in the future, the system will apply. Please don't specify which you are choosing publicly - do it privately, in a PM alongside your setup that you are submitting for review. This way, if it is decided to switch your game between compartments during the review process, it won't lead to speculation later.

The most important thing is making sure this site and this queue has a solid foundation to build on for the future, and that's the main goal of this overhaul. This is a subject where many people have strong opinions, but I hope most people will find that this change makes their experience of Normal games better, and that it will help new players to feel welcome on the site. If you have any feedback or questions, please post in this thread or contact me. I'm especially interested in hearing about the experiences of players who have recently joined the site, and how they feel this change affects them.

Thank you for reading,
-Ausuka

Update: Hi - I've made a form which allows players to request new roles and modifiers for the experimental list of Normal games. If you're interested, please fill it out!
No matter what happens, I'll be right there with you.
Ausuka
Ausuka
she/her
Team Mafia Winner
Team Mafia Winner
Ausuka
she/her
Team Mafia Winner
Team Mafia Winner
Team Mafia Winner
Team Mafia Winner

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:02 am

Post by Ausuka »

WikiPlease use the following links to learn more about new Normal games! They contain a table which is an alternative way to look at which roles and modifiers are available for each game type.
Ausuka
Ausuka
she/her
Team Mafia Winner
Team Mafia Winner
Ausuka
she/her
Team Mafia Winner
Team Mafia Winner
Team Mafia Winner
Team Mafia Winner

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:18 am

Post by Ausuka »

New Roles and ChangesThis update has introduced a few new roles to the Normal Queue for Complex games only. Here's a description of how these roles are defined in Normal games.
  • Godfather
    - Mafia only. Appears as Town if investigated by a cop. If this role is in the game, it must be announced at the start of the game.
  • Inventor
    - Can give out certain 1-shot abilities to other players, which are determined during setup design. In most cases, the Inventor can only give out a certain invention once, and it can only be used once. However, if it is an inventor for a specific role, or as a modular role (e.g a Tracker-Inventor) it may give out an invention of that specific role unlimited times.
  • Modifier Cop
    - Can investigate a player to find what modifiers they have, but not their role or alignment.
  • Role-Immune
    - Immune to a specific role. If this role targets the Role-Immune player, their action will fail.
  • Strengthener
    - A role which makes their target's action succeed where it would otherwise fail.
  • Strongwilled
    - A modifier which makes a role's action succeed where it would otherwise fail.
Additionally, the following changes are being made to Normals from this point onward:
Daytalk is mandatory in all games except Complex.
This change is mostly because, for a long time, daytalk has become almost ubiquitous to the point
not
having daytalk feels increasingly less Normal. It's also something which many players find reduces the amount of fun they have in games if they roll mafia, and there is a risk players may be less likely to join games without daytalk. Depending on feedback for this, we are considering making Daytalk mandatory for all Normal games.
Multitasking must be specified.
Multitasking is no longer a modifier. This change is meant to reduce ambiguity and restore some functionality to roles like Fruit Vendor, which once could confirm themselves in certain situations with one mafia remaining. Instead, all games should specify at gamestart if mafia have multitasking or they don't.

If you have feedback on these changes, please comment about it in this thread. Thank you for playing on Mafiascum, and again I hope these changes can make your experience more enjoyable.
Ausuka
Ausuka
she/her
Team Mafia Winner
Team Mafia Winner
Ausuka
she/her
Team Mafia Winner
Team Mafia Winner
Team Mafia Winner
Team Mafia Winner

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:21 am

Post by Ausuka »

Name ChangesFinally, a minor detail - we have changed the names of certain roles. This should have little to no impact on gameplay experience, but may be worth noting anyway. The following changes have taken place:

Mailman -> Messenger
Strongman -> Juggernaut
Voyeur -> Observer

We are considering changing Macho and Godfather in future updates. If you have feedback on this, please feel free to give it in a constructive manner.
Ausuka
Ausuka
she/her
Team Mafia Winner
Team Mafia Winner
Ausuka
she/her
Team Mafia Winner
Team Mafia Winner
Team Mafia Winner
Team Mafia Winner

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:25 am

Post by Ausuka »

Also - to be clear, these changes apply to any game entering the Normal Queue going forward. Changes currently in signups are unaffected.
Skygazer
Skygazer
any
For My Next Guest
Skygazer
any
For My Next Guest
For My Next Guest
Pronoun: any

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:59 am

Post by Skygazer »

Really excited for these changes :
) I think now that the Normal Queue is a jumping off point for new players this was very much needed.
i have the most queues
replacement queue | upick queue
Cook
Cook
She
Mafia Scum
Cook
She
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: She

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:03 am

Post by Cook »

ego i like where this is going

might it also be possible to require normal mods to specify the boundaries of their compartment of setup design at least for a bit
Your friendly neighborhood chef and baker. LONG LIVE THE CHEFHAT REBELLION!
Cults With Guns //
"ya true if you don't play mafia you are probably winning" – Alisae

Inventor of 3d20 //
Successful Rebellion Leader//
Ausuka
Ausuka
she/her
Team Mafia Winner
Team Mafia Winner
Ausuka
she/her
Team Mafia Winner
Team Mafia Winner
Team Mafia Winner
Team Mafia Winner

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:04 am

Post by Ausuka »

Oh - sorry if it wasn't clear, I'll edit the OP to clarify, but mods do have to specify what compartment they use during games and it is revealed when a game enters signups so players can decide what game to join. We don't want that to happen in public when they first enter the queue, to make it so we can switch the compartment in review if that's prudent and it won't lead to speculation later.
Cook
Cook
She
Mafia Scum
Cook
She
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:09 am

Post by Cook »

i was also thinking in their game threads too, like how opens do
Your friendly neighborhood chef and baker. LONG LIVE THE CHEFHAT REBELLION!
Cults With Guns //
"ya true if you don't play mafia you are probably winning" – Alisae

Inventor of 3d20 //
Successful Rebellion Leader//
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:33 am

Post by Ythan »

Coool
camelCasedSnivy
camelCasedSnivy
he/him
Mafia Scum
camelCasedSnivy
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:34 am

Post by camelCasedSnivy »

whoa
master at being scum(my)
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: They/Them

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:55 am

Post by DkKoba »

spooky
retired
"1 thing I will give you Dk, I think you are very good at manipulating. I don't mean that in a bad way, I just think you [have] this way with yourself. You know what to say and when to say [it]." ~VFP
"Koba doesn't really have a scumrange/townrange, Koba will kill your pet cat to win a game" ~Pooky
TemporalLich
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
Grand Scheme

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:04 am

Post by TemporalLich »

to be clear, would a Willbooster make an action succeed despite protection (e.g. from Ascetic or Rolestopper?)

if so, that would actually be a Strengthener.
time will end
tris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
Splatoon Tetris
Pronoun: she

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:42 am

Post by tris »

cool!
here's what it says
Ausuka
Ausuka
she/her
Team Mafia Winner
Team Mafia Winner
Ausuka
she/her
Team Mafia Winner
Team Mafia Winner
Team Mafia Winner
Team Mafia Winner

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:49 am

Post by Ausuka »

In post 12, TemporalLich wrote: to be clear, would a Willbooster make an action succeed despite protection (e.g. from Ascetic or Rolestopper?)

if so, that would actually be a Strengthener.
After discussing this privately, I am changing the name of the role Willbooster to 'Strengthener'. The functionality will not change.
RH9
RH9
he/him
Mafia Scum
RH9
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Tue Oct 31, 2023 10:16 am

Post by RH9 »

Egoing for now
GTKAS: 2022, 2024

v/la every weekend

indefinite hiatus from mafia solo
StrangerCoug
StrangerCoug
He/Him
Does not Compute
StrangerCoug
He/Him
Does not Compute
Does not Compute
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Tue Oct 31, 2023 10:21 am

Post by StrangerCoug »

In post 3, Ausuka wrote:
Name ChangesFinally, a minor detail - we have changed the names of certain roles. This should have little to no impact on gameplay experience, but may be worth noting anyway. The following changes have taken place:

Mailman -> Messenger
Strongman -> Juggernaut
Voyeur -> Observer
As the person who conceived of the last role (but didn't come up with the original name), I like the new name of Observer. It's less sexual, and it's still intuitive for what the role does.
STRANGERCOUG: Stranger Than You!

Current avatar by PurryFurry of FurAffinity.

What Were You Thinking XV! is in progress.
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Tue Oct 31, 2023 10:21 am

Post by Ythan »

In post 15, RH9 wrote:Egoing for now
I hope you don't change your mind.
Black
Black
she/her
Twilight Princess
Black
she/her
Twilight Princess
Twilight Princess

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:09 am

Post by Black »

In post 15, RH9 wrote: Egoing for now
I scumread Alianna.

ALL HAIL THE SCUM QUEEN!
Random Nurse
Random Nurse
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Random Nurse
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:59 am

Post by Random Nurse »

That Complex compartment and the Experimental list is a beautiful thing. As soon as I can safely do so I'll get a Large Complex Normal going.

Is it possible you could add to the Experimental list a Scum PR that can literally remove Bulletproof status from their target?
Last edited by Random Nurse on Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:02 pm

Post by Alisae »

ego
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:02 pm

Post by BBmolla »

Love it
Come see me in the Great American Melodrama in Oceano
usesPython
usesPython
They/Them
Mafia Scum
usesPython
They/Them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: They/Them

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:34 pm

Post by usesPython »

In post 2, Ausuka wrote:
Multitasking must be specified.
Multitasking is no longer a modifier. This change is meant to reduce ambiguity and restore some functionality to roles like Fruit Vendor, which once could confirm themselves in certain situations with one mafia remaining. Instead, all games should specify at gamestart if mafia have multitasking or they don't.
How does this work with Serial Killers given that something like Multitasking 3-Shot Activated Bulletproof Serial Killer is no longer Normal? Can SK's be multitasking (since they're not mafia), can we have multitasking only for specific multiball factions/serial killers/mafia? If it's a large with an unannounced SK how do we make them multitasking without giving away the existence of a serial killer?
Plural | Nameless (They/He) and Alice (She/Her) and C (They/Them) and more
DragonEater70
DragonEater70
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
DragonEater70
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:16 pm

Post by DragonEater70 »

I really like the changes, this will definitely make it possible to have more Newbie-friendly games while simultaneously giving mods that just like to torture their players greater freedom to torture their players within the Complex creative space :lol: .
Random Nurse
Random Nurse
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Random Nurse
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:18 pm

Post by Random Nurse »

Like with experimental Normal roles, is it possible to experiment with new gameplay mechanics, and provide them as options in Complex Normal games?

Return to “Mafia Discussion”