2023 Scummies and Mashies Ceremony!

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Scummies
Scummies
Goon
Scummies
Goon
Goon

2023 Scummies and Mashies Ceremony!

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Tue Jun 18, 2024 11:31 am

Post by Scummies »

2023 Scummies and Mashies Ceremony

In a secret location, known only to the Scummies Steering Committee and to AniX (special measures have been taken to keep Mith in the dark as to its whereabouts), there is a big, underground auditorium. Inside the auditorium are gathered hundreds - nay,
thousands
- of scummers, who have been shuttled there blindfolded to avoid leakage of the location.
Currently, scummers of all sorts, genders, races, and even species (yes, there is at least one growlithe there, and also a dragon, and a dwarf, and mythological creatures) are spread out across the room. Some are chit-chatting about the latest Large Theme game and about how epic it was. Others reminisce of a scummers’ meet from ten years ago. Even members of the Normal Review Group can be seen in the crowd, debating whether to approve Datisi’s crazy new setup involving combined vigilante friendly neighbors.

Suddenly, the ambient music stops, and a speaker goes on stage. It’s Ircher, head of the Scummies Steering Committee! He taps the microphone, and everyone ceases talking and looks at the stage. Everyone, except two members of NRG, who continue to argue earnestly about setup swinginess. Ausuka hushes them.

Ircher clears his throat. "Welcome, scummers," he says, "to the 21st annual Scummies Awards Ceremony! This year, the Scummies Steering Committee has worked very hard to bring you the best scummies awards ceremony we could. This year’s ceremony is going to be flashy, it’s going to be exciting, and it’s going to be incredibly entertaining!" He pauses, and the audience cheers. "Before we begin, I’d like to thank our admin, Zoraster, for helping organize – "

Ircher gets interrupted by a disheveled-looking Haschel Cedricson, who rushes onto the stage and whispers something into his ear.

"Ah, it appears I’ve been corrected," Ircher says. "Let me try again. I would like to thank our
secret new admin
for helping organize this venue and ensuring the ceremony takes place,
despite
sharks attacking our staff and federal government agents infiltrating our user base in an attempt to discover what illegal activities the 'mafia scum of the site' are conducting."

Several members of the audience laugh, but most are confused at the attempted joke.

"In any case," Ircher continues, "it is soon time to reveal the winners of the various awards. And to help me do that, please welcome the event’s second presenter, T-Bone!"

The audience applauds and cheers. A few loud appreciative whistles can be heard from where the other listmods are seated.

T-Bone goes up on stage and shakes Ircher’s hand, smiling. The audience continues to applaud and cheer enthusiastically.

"Thank you, everyone," T-Bone says with a smile. "I love you too, and while I'm decisively the best listmod," he winks, "we're not here to celebrate
me
! We're to celebrate the Scummies. And I think we should get right into it, without further ado. What do you think, Ircher?"

"I quite agree," says Ircher. "Let's begin. The first category to be awarded tonight is… Townplay Awards!"
Scummies
Scummies
Goon
Scummies
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Tue Jun 18, 2024 11:33 am

Post by Scummies »

Paragon of Mafia Hunters

Thunderous applause reverberates through the huge underground auditorium and slowly dies down. Ircher clears his throat and continues. “In this portion of the celebration, we honor our past and present mafia playing sensations. Wow, look at everyone gathered here to honor this year’s town awards!”

Before the applause takes off again, T-Bone interjects “Speaking of sensations, did you know that the first time the phrase 'paragon of mafia hunters' was written on Mafiascum dot net was on April 3, 2002? Mith started a thread titled “Ask IS”. We think he started it, anyway. Maybe it was Q, traveling back in time to December 31, 1969. No really! Maybe it
was Q

“Anyway, a player named internetstranger answered questions about playing the game of Mafia in the topic Mith (or Q) had started. Check it out!.

The first player to actually win the Paragon of Mafia Award was jeep, in 2004.

To present the award, please welcome the 2022 Paragon of Mafia Hunters, Lukewarm!

Lukewarm runs up on stage, grinning amidst wild applause, and takes the envelope from Ircher. “I still remember how shocked I was to win this award last year! And I can't get over what incredible town players have been nominated by their peers this year! Paragon of Mafia Hunters is a body of work award that recognizes a player whose performances throughout the year have risen far beyond competent into the realm of superhuman. This year’s nominees are a stellar group of players who have blazed their ways through the 2023 games leaving stunned mafia teams behind them:
“I don’t know how the judges were able to narrow it down to just one, but they did, and what a worthy paragon they’ve chosen.

“The runner-up is Dannflor who had an excellent year of mafia hunting.

“And the winner of Paragon of Mafia Hunters is jjh927 for his play in Datisi's University, Mini Normal 2314 - The Mafia Have a Cop and Open 889 | Secrets of the Anuket Topaz

As a judge noted during the discussion of this award, "The biggest hindrance jjh faces towards his skills being on full display is he's near-universally the N1 scum kill, a mark I attribute to a consistently Paragon-level player.”

Another judge stated, "In Secrets of the Anukat Topaz everyone had gob at locktown for his 'general behavior,' but jjh was able to point out flaws in his general behavior that just didn't quite make sense. Still, no one listened, when they really should have. In Datisi's University he had 3 out of 4 scum in his scumpool of 4. It's not just his reads though, you can have amazing reads but still lose a lot. jjh is able to outline his logic in a very clear way that makes others more inclined to listen to him."

jjh927 stands slowly and makes his way though the audience to the aisle leading to the stairs, shaking hands and smiling. He accepts the award from Lukewarm amid more handshakes and backslaps on stage. Finally he takes the podium and addresses the audience - players he's played with and against throughout 2023.

"I'll start by saying I wasn't really expecting this, given I've not been the most active player as of late, but I suppose my games in 2023 were a pretty good example of my townplay.

"People tend to thank people in speeches, so I'm gonna thank Alisae for dragging me to the site 7 years ago and also for still modding cool games. I am also gonna thank Datisi for modding cool games, especially since Datisi's University temporarily reinvigorated my passion for mafia, and I subsequently inned on 2 games outside of the theme queue. I'll also thank Dannflor for the nomination and for modding anuket topaz.

"This seems like a good time to disclose my scumhunting approach, albeit with the disclaimer that at this point it's heavily internalised and instinctual so the application of that theory is a bit harder to explain, but essentially it's based around social influence.

Spoiler: jjh927's super secret recipe for town-playing excellence

"In psychology, there are two types of social influence that explain a change in someone's opinion;
-Informational influence stems from a desire to be right and the belief that you are.
-Normative influence stems from the desire to fit in and comply with the group.

"In a game of mafia, we divert a bit from traditional theory. You can never truly persuade a scum player, but you can still exert influence over them and get them to change what they are saying through your strength of argument. Doing so is essentially explicit normative influence. Meanwhile, a town player could change their mind in light of an argument, but it could be a result of either type of influence. The main point here is that with a town player, you are actually affecting their belief. And if you get a decent idea of what should or should not be effective at affecting a specific player's belief- hopefully through exerting informational influence- then you should be able to figure out their alignment based on whether they are operating within that scope. As with any method, this can be difficult with players of certain playstyles, but this looks at a level beyond what most scum players consider to be successfully faking it.

"My early game play tends to involve seeing how different players react under controlled levels of pressure and strength of argument. This tends to need a personality read. Players that inherently fall towards normative influence, especially due to lack of belief in day 1, tend to need a lot of pressure and accountability to budge in a meaningful way from which you can actually determine alignment. Generally, I prefer to engage people individually, and I'm much better at judging responses to my own influence than against other people.

"I guess if you were to condense everything there into a single non-academic sentence useful for scumhunting, it's:
"Try to convince people of stuff in ways you think either should or should not persuade them, and see what results, under different levels of pressure for different types of people."

"And if you want to figure out how to fool me as scum:
"Think about how much pressure is on you, and why I would want that much pressure on you while I am asking you questions."

"Anyway, speech has got a bit long. Can't wait for people who I've never played with to have higher expectations of me. Thanks for the award! I will probably play in some more games this year too."

Moment of Brilliance

As the former and new Paragon leave the stage, Ircher shuffles through his cards, and then sweeps a glance across the rows of mafia players in the audience. Some are newcomers, some are retired and semi-retired players, some are lone wolves, some are groups who play often, and some are groups who often play together. "This next award recognizes individuals or groups of players who synergistically solve a game in a momentous way. They change a game's direction by coming together and solving as a group, or by single-handedly both solving and convincing the rest of town to cooperate. It's called "Moment of Brilliance", and every year there are many bright moments that make games a little magical."

T-Bone laughs, "And sometimes it all goes awry because that brilliant town is infiltrated by mafia!"

Ircher continues.
"Welcome Klick, the 2022 Moment of Brilliance winner, to present this year's award!"

Klick bounds up to the podium and grabs the mic. "It's a year already? What a whirlwind! The one downside of winning Moment of Brilliance is the
expectations
! As Ircher said this award can be for an individual or for a group of town players who made a huge difference in the outcome of a game. The nominees are...", Klick reads the front of the envelope.
"Let's give all the nominees a big hand!"

The audience erupts with clapping and shouts, as attendees crane their necks looking for all the nominees.

"The runner up is...Aristeia, for Hollow Knight Mafia

"And this year's well-deserved winner is...Andresvmb for his dramatic game-changing play in Datisi's University!

"Some accolades from the judges:

"For Moment of Brilliance, Andresvmb's play was THE game-defining play. He shot the deepscum who was universally townread, with disastrous effect on the scum team's positioning in the game. Without that play, the town may not have won."

"Andres nailing Dannflor there was just insane, it basically led to a chain reaction that caused a loss for scum. If he hadn't done that then scum would have had a very high chance of winning. If a different player had been in his shoes then I'd have given town a 70%+ chance of losing."

"It was a tough choice between Ari and Andres, who both played well. I think what convinced me to pick Andres was his description of how he spent 5 hours reading every post by Dannflor several times. It felt like he really put his all into it and I thought was flashier and more award-worthy than just casually tracking scum."

Klick continues "Let's give it up for Andresvmb!"

The room reverberates with cheers as Andresvmb wends his way down the aisle and up to the stage.

Klick hands him the mic and Andresvmb clears his throat. "Speech! Speech! Speech!" echoes through the auditorium.

"To my fellow nominees: Congratulations! I read some of the submissions, and it is clear that I won not because I am the best player among you, but because I was put in a specific set of circumstances that (the judges thought) I exploited in a way that made a difference. I also happened to have the time that game (and that specific night) to put in an inordinate amount of effort into one specific action, and it paid off. So for that, I am proud. But it was the team that carried the victory home, which is really worth highlighting. Without the Town working together to produce a win, my shot would be lost to history as nothing but a solid move in a losing game. And it wasn't.

"I also want to thank Datisi for hosting - I remember signing up because you were running the game. Otherwise, that move does not happen, at least not from me. Anyway, thanks for the recognition, I do appreciate it."

Andresvmb heads back to his seat amid much cheering and handshaking.
Scummies
Scummies
Goon
Scummies
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Tue Jun 18, 2024 11:35 am

Post by Scummies »

Don Corleone

A hush goes over the crowd as Ircher waves a sleek, black card that can only mean one thing… The name of this year’s premier scum player is about to be announced.

“As much as we might all hate being deceived, this next award honors that very skill of deception. When you think about it, great scum play is what really makes up the backbone of this community. Without players willing to, and dedicated towards, playing scum, the game we all know and love would cease to be!” Ircher smiles as a whistle of appreciation echoes out from the front row.

T-Bone boos playfully, interrupting Ircher. “Less prestigious award, and more a warning about who we should all watch out for, huh? Am I right or AM I RIGHT?”

Ircher just chuckles politely and beckons a figure from the front row to come on stage. "Now, to introduce this award is our favorite 2022 Don Corleone winner, Datisi!"

Datisi shuffles on stage and waves at the crowd with a polite smile. “If I’m honest with you all, being really good at scum is a torturous, miserable experience-” Ircher clears his throat, staring pointedly at Datisi.

“Uh, I mean…” Datisi continues. “The mafia alignment is one of the hardest and most rewarding aspects of this game to master. Being able to consistently avoid suspicion and win games is something deserving of the utmost recognition. The nominees for this year’s Don Corleone are…”

"Flavor Leaf,
Ausuka,
Black,
and Thestatusquo!"

The runner-up is Thestatusquo
for his consistently excellent scum performances this year!”

“And, finally… The moment you’ve all been waiting for…
The winner of Don Corleone is Black
for her play in Open 892, Open 885, and countless Newbie Games!”

"One judge had this to say about Black: Black is sleek, fast, and deceptive. You'll be suspecting her one second and the next second the game will be over and she somehow end-gamed you."

As a ripple of applause goes over the crowd, Black races onto the stage where she meets Datisi in an enthusiastic handshake. Datisi hands her the trophy and backs away to give her the spotlight. The crowd stands in applause as Black plays to the crowd with bows, curtsies, and winks. Then, as the noise dies down, she raises her trophy as she gives her speech.

“First of all I want to say I am shocked that I won this award. Don’t let my record fool you…I’m not a great scum player. I think I’m decent, but there are more people than I can count on two hands on this site that are better than me. The nominees for this category are so incredible and I’m honored to have been chosen out of them. Seriously. Shea had an INCREDIBLE year as scum. He fooled people left and right and even won as scum in Team Mafia. Suki and Flavor are two people who’s scumgame I admire greatly. These are three of the best wolves on the site IMO. You guys are amazing!

I couldn’t have won the Don Corleone Award without the help of other people. I don’t win this award without the assistance of all the people that rolled scum with me. They were pivotal to my success and I don’t have my awesome scum record without them. So I wanted to mention them in this speech!

Spoiler: Black's Honorable Mentions
Weuler, BlueBloodedToffee, CatScratchFever, Political Clout, CCGeek, meowmeow, Merlyn, BBmola, T3, JupiterXV, usesPython, Save the Dragons, Psyche, OutWorldER. I love each and every one of you. This is our award!”
Thanks again and happy hunting!

A chant of Black’s name is taken up over the crowd as Black finishes her speech, blushing, and skips back to her seat.

Goodfellas

Datisi remains on stage, standing awkwardly, as the chants die down. “Uhm, I’m also supposed to present another award… I think?”

Ircher runs over to hand Datisi another card. “Next we have the winners of the Goodfellas award!” Ircher pats Datisi on the back a little too enthusiastically. “It goes hand in hand with the Don Corleone award, wouldn’t you say?”

“Yeah,” Datisi replies. “I mean, this award is all about recognizing the single best scum team play throughout the year. This looks at more than just individual prowess, but how a group of master manipulators-”

T-Bone interrupts to holler from backstage, “You mean LIARS and BACKSTABBERS!”

“Erm,” Datisi continues, “How a group of master manipulators can work together as a unit to fool an entire town.”

“The runner ups for this award are…”

“The Stage (T3), pisskop, Theta Alpine, and Skygazer for their performance in BooneyToonzXVII: The Winston Chronicles!

A round of applause goes up for this team of dastardly villains.

“But ultimately,
the winners were NorwegianBoyEE, Shirou, T-Bone, and Gimli
for their performance in Legends of thee Business Company! Congratulations!”

One by one, each of the team members heads on stage, passing around the trophy and waving to the audience.

Datisi continues even as the crowd threatens to drown his voice out. “Please join me in honoring these players who represent exemplary teamwork and scumplay in the year 2023!”

Each of the players give their own thanks, before heading back to their places in the crowd. Datisi bows politely and heads back to his own seat as well.
Scummies
Scummies
Goon
Scummies
Goon
Goon

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Tue Jun 18, 2024 11:36 am

Post by Scummies »

PROFESSIONAL MAFIA ACADEMY

definitely not a scam

Come on down to the Professional Mafia Academy today!! We promise we won't scam you.

For five easy payments of $499.99, you can learn from the best. Who, you may ask? We can't tell you. It's a secret!

Here are some of the great tidbits of advice you'll receive at the Professional Mafia Academy:
- make sure you always vote for the mafia (unless you are mafia)
- try not to vote for the town (unless you are mafia)
- keep in mind that the mafia will lie on occasion
- are you a vanilla townie afraid of getting voted out? just claim an important power role!
- oh yeah, the town may also lie sometimes, by the way

You will also learn some important life skills such as:
- how to yell the loudest

HOW DO I SIGN UP? SIMPLY MAIL FIVE CHECKS TO SKYGAZER IMMEDIATELY.
Scummies
Scummies
Goon
Scummies
Goon
Goon

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Tue Jun 18, 2024 11:36 am

Post by Scummies »

After the break, Ircher grabbed the mic and started talking. "Now it's time for our modding awards. These awards are given to those who have contributed most to our site in terms of the games they have created and run. Being a mod can be a thankless job, and it's absolutely necessary to keep the site running, so it's time to show our appreciation to those who stand out in this role."

"That's right." T-bone continued. "It's only right that people who do so much great work to keep the site running should be acknowledged! And that's why I'm proud to announce our returning co-host for this section... Datisi!! He won 3 of the 4 awards last year, and the only one he didn't win wasn't awarded to anyone. It's only right he should partake in the festivities this year!"

"What??" Ircher hissed in T-Bone's ear. "We didn't agree on this! Why do you have to cause problems?"

"Relax." T-bone responded calmly. "We got this. Just watch."

Datisi walks onto the stage. "what. is this some kind of prank?" he asked in his monotone style. "i am a fine upstanding member of the mafiascum community and have done nothing to deserve this."

"It's not a prank." T-bone assured him.

"but i haven't been told anything. i don't even have a script-"

"Go on! You're a natural, just give them a speech! They'll all love it!" T-bone tried to encourage him. Datisi sighed and reluctantly approached the microphone.
"ugh. i should be getting paid for this." Datisi grumbled. "alright, uh, can anyone hear me? is this thing working?" he spoke into the microphone. The thing was very obviously not working. There was an unenthusiastic murmuring from the audience as they whispered to each other.

"uh, hello? what is going on?" Datisi turned around and exasperatedly complained to the staff.
"Uh, it was working a minute ago. Maybe try again?" Ircher suggested.
Datisi went back to the microphone and tried talking into it again. There was a brief crackling sound, but otherwise nothing.
"oh, fuck this. i'm out of here." Datisi walked off the stage and right out of the building, getting into a conveniently placed taxi by the window and escaping the convention in full view of everybody. Some murmurs of confusion arose. One audience member asked, "Wait, how did the taxi get underground?"

Ircher shot T-bone a glare, then disappeared backstage. T-bone went up to the microphone and tried talking into it again, but to no avail. Darn, why did it have to break at the worst possible time? He started shouting: "Excuse me, everyone, we are experiencing technical difficulties! Severe technical difficulties! Please stand by, we are working to get this resolved quickly so we can get back to the celeb-" The microphone suddenly came back to life, and an explosion of sound burst into the convention hall, causing many to cover their ears in shock. Ircher had turned the microphone's power supply off and on again at the wall, which was a simplistic solution but apparently an effective one.

"Uh, alright. Let's begin, then." T-bone sheepishly told the crowd. "Yes, the moderation awards."

The Modfather

T-Bone began his speech. "The first modding award here tonight is
Modfather
. This award celebrates the moderator who is judged to have the greatest quality of work over the last year. They should be consistent and reliable in their work, while also hosting games which are considered enjoyable to play in for any number of reasons; including good setup design, good flavour, or any other factor that could help a moderator stand out.

This year, our nominees are ... Alianna, Alisae and Skygazer! You three, please come up onto the stage!"

The trio came up onto the stage to a round of applause from the audience.

"Alianna was nominated due to her consistently solid moderation with constant votecount updates and quick phase resolutions, alongside the sheer number of games she had moderated during the year--six newbie games, five open games, and several other games besides these--showing there's no need to choose between quality and quantity, and providing a great service for the site."

"Alisae was nominated for consistently hosting high-quality games, including Pokemon Battles 2 and 'Mafia have a Cop' in the year 2023."

"Skygazer was nominated for her consistent quality of moderation along with moderating a wide array of games in different queues. Her games have a touch of personal style which users appreciate."

"And the winner of the Modfather Award this year is...
Alianna
!!

Alisae was granted the Runner-Up position for this award."

Spoiler: Nomination and Quotes

Nomination
by
DragonEater70
, Nths by Aureal, biancospino, Black, Cook and Skygazer

Let's start with some stats!
Did you know that in 2023, Alianna modded or co-modded 6 Newbie games? That's a THIRD of all Newbie games that were run this year.
She also modded 5 Open games in 2023.
She ALSO modded and backup/co-modded quite a few Normal games (more on this later).
Alianna constantly has at least one game running at every point in time, and she often has two (or more, if you consider games she's backup modding). This is a great contribution to the site in terms of moderation.

Putting the stats aside for a second, Alianna's moderation is of very high quality. Her games run smoothly, she's dedicated to doing her mod duties even when real life gets in the way, and there's a VC every pagetop (okay, maybe not EVERY pagetop). Notably, she managed to run a Newbie game with ten replacements (a huge number considering a Newbie game only has 9 players), and run it smoothly.

Oh, and did I mention how her dedication to modding goes beyond her own games? Every time I asked her to be a backup mod, she said yes with no hesitation. I think that's pretty cool.

Aureal - "Having played in a game she modded for my first game back here after a 16-year hiatus, she set my expectations for moderating very high and has consistently lived up to it in every game I've seen. Never in a game Alianna is moderating do you have to scrounge around for a vote count only to realize it's horribly dated. Never do you have to stare unhappily at the slot that hasn't posted in days and ask for a prod there. Never do you sit in a seemingly eternal twilight waiting for a flip. It's clear she cares greatly about her moderating responsibilities and strives to give the players the best experience she can."

Here are some quotes from our judges about Alianna's victory:

'Alianna has shown the most consistently top-quality modding this year.'

'I really think Alianna deserves the award for her huge level of dedication for modding, and she really fits the bill of someone who people rush to sign up to her games.'

Alianna reached the stage, and took her celebratory plaque from Ircher, shaking the hands of the hosts. The crowd applauded vigorously, with cheers of "Alianna!" going around in the air. "Thank you everyone!" Alianna smiled, waving at the crowd, before settling back into her seat.

Rube Goldberg

"Thank you, Alianna." Ircher continued. "Now, our second modding award is Rube Goldberg. This award is given to an user who makes a Normal or Open setup which is considered creative and enjoyable to play. For this award, only Normal and Open games are eligible, meaning unfortunately we did have to disqualify some nominations. However, we have found a winner regardless.

This year, our finalist nominees are ... Isis and Random Nurse. You two, please come onto the stage!"

The two were surprised, having not expected this in advance, but they came up onto the stage regardless in front of the confused eyes of the crowd.

"Isis was nominated for Toriel's Patience. This was a creative open setup which players enjoyed, and the setup helped to contribute to a good game overall. Most players, with the exception of the eponymous Toriel, were vanilla, meaning almost all players had an equal footing to interact with the game. Despite this, the unusual mechanics of the Open setup kept the game interesting for players - in keeping with the Undertale flavouring, players were given the option to choose Fight or Mercy to decide how they would eliminate players."

"Random Nurse was nominated for Mini Normal 2310. This game had strong town and mafia factions, and players enjoyed the roles and how they interacted with each other. The game was considered well-balanced and came down to a tight endgame."

And the winner of the Rube Goldberg Award this year is...
Isis
! Isis, please come and take your award!" Isis smiled and took her purple certificate.

Spoiler: Nomination and Quotes
The process for Rube Goldberg was unusual this year; since there were no eligible nominations, judges looked at games they thought could receive the award and nominated them. The two finalists received multiple nominations. While Toriel's Patience was hosted in the Theme queue, as an Open setup it was considered eligible for this award.

Nominationby
Skygazer
, Nth by DragonEater70

while it played out in a large theme, and turned out to be townsided in practice, toriel's patience by isis had an open setup (also designed by isis) with cool mechanics that everyone was rlly excited about and it was fun to see the thrill of a new open setup play out.

Isis stepped up to the microphone. "I'd like to give a speech. Ahem..."

"Thank you for this award.
Mafia setup design is very challenging because many ideas have not been tried for the very same reasons they would not be good to try.
Toriel's patience was informed by running some imperfect setups, noticing the part that worked, and making that part impactful to create a mafia setup did not feel Normal but did not have many additional unnecessary pieces. CantHurtAPuppy's exciting gameplay in Chara's Folly inspired the setup. Thanks to Jingle for reviewing.
Thank you to the mafiascum community in general."

The crowd clapped once more for their champion, as Isis returned to her seat.

Mad Scientist

T-Bone took to the microphone. "And a great thanks to Isis. Now, our third modding award is Mad Scientist. This award is given to a user who makes the best Theme setup.

Our finalists for the award this year were Korina and xyzzy. Can our dynamic duo please come onto the stage??"

As they approached, T-bone continued his spiel.

"Korina was nominated for Weird Dreams Mafia and Weird Dreams Mafia Redux. Usually, these nominations are for a single game - however, this case is an exception. Weird Dreams Mafia had creative mechanics, including a 'Nightmare' mechanic which would allow players in a Private Topic to vote for various inventions and discuss which would have the most utility, and it was greatly enjoyed by the players within that game. However, unfortunately, the game had to be abandoned due to gamethrowing. Nevertheless, Korina showed resilience in the face of adversity by hosting 'Weird Dreams Mafia Redux' - sticking with a similar core concept but with a different twist in order to retain the surprise for players."

"xyzzy was nominated for 'i designed this setup in 2019', which is an amazing title for a game. This game had unique mechanics for the players to enjoy, including a prisoners-dilemma multiball mechanic in which both scum factions had to choose whether to co-operate or betray each other, and mechanics to allow dead players to influence the game.

And the winner of the Mad Scientist award this year is ... Korina!"

Spoiler: Nomination and quote

'Korina designed not one, but TWO innovative groundbreaking games with incredible mechanics and roles, reinventing the entire concept after the first run was tragically cut short.'

'Mad Scientist - I really, really loved the mechanical design of Weird Dreams mafia, and I thought it was absolutely ingenious. As I said in the nomination, it was incredible fun to do the nightmare voting and the discussion inside the nightmare.'

"Korina, please come and take your place on the podium." Everyone started clapping spontaneously. Korina graciously headed up onto the stage, collected his award, and left.

Paperback Writer

Ircher took the microphone once more. "Now, it's time for our final moderation award - Paperback Writer. This award is for the moderator who provides the best flavour."

"I'd like the nominees to come up onto the stage. That means ... Aureal, biancospino, fferyllt, and Umlaut."

"Aureal was nominated for Don't fall in a Volcano! This was a Micro Open game using the old newbie setup, NewD3. The flavour was stylised to resemble a game show, where the players roleplayed as gladiators and every flip had extra flavour to make the game feel more special."

"biancospino was nominated for Blood over Utopia! This game was a Mini Theme based around a commune called Utopia, led by 'the Overseer.' A group of traitors rejected the authoritarian philosophy of Utopia and sought to destroy it, so the Overseer ordered the population to effectively organise a witch hunt and burn suspected traitors in a bonfire. In the end, it turned out the traitors were part of a different organisation seeking to impose their will over 'Utopia', showing the bleakness of the world that was created. A lot of effort was clearly put into making newspaper articles for the fictional society of Utopia, often reflecting events within the game."

"fferyllt was nominated for Star Trek Upick! This game was a Mini Theme based around the series Star Trek, in which players got to choose which character from the franchise their role would be designed around. UPicks provide players with a greater sense of connection to the role they eventually get! Additionally, flips contained flavour text and vote counts contained memes from the series. Fferyllt put a lot of effort into writing the flavour so that players could really feel they were playing a truly Star Trek themed game."

"Umlaut was nominated for Scarfolk Council, an Open game using the setup C9++. The game's flavour is set in the town of Scarfolk in England which is stuck in a time loop of the 1970s. It is by no means a typical English town; the residents follow a pagan religion and everyone is permanently ill, causing a significant amount of flavour to be themed around health and quarantine. The town is lead by the dystopian Scarfolk Council which is portrayed as evil and bizarre in equal measure. The unsettling theme helped to enhance the enjoyment of players into the game, and helped introduce them to an interesting online series."

"And the winner this year is ... fferyllt!

Here's the quote from our judge this time...

'I loved ffery's story, it was well-written and creative.'

"Alright, ffery. Please do give us a speech!"

Fferyllt began speaking.

"Writing flavor narrative for a game has always felt like a collaborative effort to me. Game designers get input about the flavor from their reviewers, and the events of the game, driven by player decisions, impact the direction(s) the narratives go. A good narrative is a group project.

This is even more so with uPick designs. The game designer chooses the overall flavor and the start point of the adventure. Players have huge influence on the game’s narrative with their uPick choices. Innovative Role interactions and mechanics may be inspired by the character picks, and those elements of the design also shape the game’s narrative. It's the nature of Themed Mafia dialed up to the max.

Star Trek uPick had all of these factors in spades. Many of the players love the various Star Trek series and I wanted to do right by every one of them. There were enough character, series and movie overlaps to build some fun role interactions. As always in games, not all of the potential interactions came to fruition due to the day and night eliminations, which is also par for the course with Theme designs.

I loved giving each Star Trek character generous flavor that showcased the ensemble as well as capturing something unique about their arcs in the Star Trek universe.

So, thank you so much to everyone who played, reviewed and co-modded this game. If there ever was a paperback writer award that depended on group effort, it’s this one."

The crowd clapped loudly. "Thank you!" T-bone spoke into the microphone. "That was a great speech. I see the crowd enjoyed it too! And that concludes our modding awards, but don't worry, there'll be more after the break!"
Scummies
Scummies
Goon
Scummies
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Tue Jun 18, 2024 11:37 am

Post by Scummies »

Hello there, MafiaScummers!

We are proud to introduce the next great initiative to make the mafia side of the site come alive:

Open Games on Demand

If you've ever wanted to play a specific Open setup but it wasn't currently in the queue, if you've ever wanted to try out Chromavalon, Fire and Ice, or Jungle Republic, or if you just want to have a friendly NewD3 or Coalition game with friends, well... now you can request these games!

So how does it work? You head to the dedicared Game Request Thread on the Mafia DIscussion subforum, post a request for a specific setup, and gather other players who are also interested in playing the setup. If 4 other players post their desire to play within a week, one of the mods participating in the intiative will /in to mod the game for you in the open queue!*

*Depending on our modding capacity. Offer is limited time and valid for the months of June and July only.

Sounds exciting? What are you waiting for?
Try it out now!
Scummies
Scummies
Goon
Scummies
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Tue Jun 18, 2024 11:38 am

Post by Scummies »

Rising Star

Ircher waits for the applause to calm down a bit and then launches into introducing the next award. "The Rising Star award takes two main criteria into account, and they aren't mutually exclusive. This award recognizes both new players with a great deal of promise as well as less new players who have made vast improvements during the last year. Combined, these criteria point to players who are on their way to joining the legends and luminaries of Mafiascum's great historic players."

T-Bone snorts, "Legends like Anix, who once went over a decade between games?"

Ircher pretends not to hear that.
"Here to present the 2023 Rising Star award is fireisredsir, the 2022 Rising Star!"

fireisredsir strolls to the stage, head tilted at the outburst of applause in her honor. "Great historic players, that's not an intimidating expectation at all...It was such an honor last year to receive this award, as well as a challenge to work toward the expectations the award comes along with. I don't suppose the pressure of that ever fully goes away, but it can be a relief to set it down and watch someone else shoulder the banner. This year's nominees are all gifted now and show great potential for future greatness. They are:
"I have no idea how the judges were able to narrow this down, but somehow they managed! The runner up for 2023 Rising Star is DragonEater70
and the winner is...Black, 2023's Rising Star!

Applause and congratulations follow Black to the stage, She accepts the award from fireisredsir and grins at the audience.

"This is wild! I never could have expected this when I signed up for my first game last January. I want to thank everyone that voted for me for this award! I also want to thank all of the friends I have made over the past year. These two groups overlap a little so some of you get double thanks hehe :]

I know it sounds cheesy and cliche but I’m not a Rising Star without everyone else who created moments with me over the course of all these Mafia games. I’ll never forget the experiences and memories I’ve made here and it makes me so happy to know I’ve had somewhat of a positive impact on the website

I want to acknowledge the other nominees in this category because I think a lot of these names are going to be the future of MS. DE70 and Hu I feel like I’ve gotten sorta close with just over the course of playing so many games with them. T3 is great as well, and I wish Annie (Wiz) would come back! I miss him!

I’m really excited to see what the next generation of scummers brings us!"

Black and fireisredsir leave the stage together waving back at the deafening crowd.

White Knight

As the applause and foot stomping dies down to a dull roar, Ircher is ready to proceed with another award. "As long as we've played mafia on this site, we've needed players willing to replace into games. At the very least, replacements allow games to continue without modkilling inactive slots. Some replacement players come in and make crucial plays that set their teams up for long term success. Some revive utterly doomed slots."

T-Bone interrupts, "Someone looked through a few of the first games on site, and found mention of a couple replacements in the second Large Normal game ever played here, Mafia 2. It was a multiball game and the design was far different from modern Normals. The very first replacement was jeep (that's right, the guy who won the first Paragon of Mafia Hunters award two years later), who replaced into the Fibonacci Mafia team on June 17, 2002. How many players have replaced into games since then? I'm not counting 'em. You go ahead, though!"

(A few smartphones light up out in the audience)

Ircher harrumphs. "Moving right along, Please welcome Mastina, the 2022 White Knight winner, to present this year's award!"

Mastina sweeps through the crowd, bouyed up by the cheers and foot stomps.

Ircher hands her the mic, and a luminescent smile lights up her face.

From somewhere out in the crowd, you hear "Three thousand seven hundred and fifty-four..."

Mastina looks at the front of the envelope. "This year, there was only one nomination for White Knight, but it is pure quality!
Gimli was nominated for his performance in Legends of the Buisness Company
. T-Bone, it says here that you nominated him. What made his replacement into the game stand out this year?"

"You know those Doomed Slot replacements Ircher mentioned? That's what Gimli replaced into. There were two predecessors in his slot, and Gimli was solidly in the POE before he even posted. It was a scum team slot and two other team members had been flipped back to back. To win the game, the decimated scum team would need four miseliminations in a row,
AND
there was one player that would have to be night killed because they were never getting eliminated. Gimli and I were the two remaining scum. I was widely townread, and Gimli's job was to not shake that up and make me look bad in any way at all."

"...eleven thousand two hundred and ninety-eight..."

"Gimli didn't try to be a hero. He was the perfect support person to help me keep working the strategy I'd adopted and do nothing to threaten my position deeply embedded in the town. He acted as the perfect wingman all the way down to coordinating with me on the game winning quickhammer finale."

"...fifty-three thousand eight hundred and forty-seven..."

T-bone continues, "There was only one nomination this year, but in another year with a dozen nominations, Gimli's performance would still be a stand-out!"

Mastina listens intently through T-bone's retelling of the game. She enthusiastically suggests, "Next year, let's
ALL
notice the truly stellar replacements we see come into our games, and write those nominations-"

"...two hundred thousand four hundred and seven-"

Someone up in the nosebleed seats yells, "Shut UP!"

Mastina raises a mildly offended eyebrow, "Well, I
never
--"

"Not you, Mastina! Whoever's counting all the replacements!"

"Ah! Carry on, then."

Mastina glides back to her seat like the accomplished dancer she is.

Hannibal Lecter

Ircher waits patiently for the room to quieten a little. "Onward to the Hannibal Lecter award. This award is given to the most outstanding third party player of the year. Whether a cheeky serial killer who deftly manages an impossible win, some crazy third party role a game moderator imagined in a fever dream, or a lucky player who had to figure out how to pull off a bewildering win condition, the Hannibal Lecter award celebrates the independent minded, solitary players who have no one at their backs--"

"Speaking of cheeky serial killers..." T-Bone winds up for another tale about legends of yore.

Ircher rolls his longsuffering eyes. "Let me guess, you've dug up an ancient game nobody remembers with a third party player nobody knows--"

"Hey, come on, when Pooky's around, you can't assume nobody remembers! The year was 2004, the game was Trouble in Minas Tirith! and the player was Leonidas. His character was an Oliphaunt and he was the Last Proboscidea Standing, thanks to his deftly executed fake claim. Leonidas wasn't the first serial killer to ever appear at mafiascum, but he was the first winner of the Hannibal Lecter award."

Ircher takes advantage of T-Bone's pause for a deep breath. "Moving right along,
here to present the 2023 Hannibal Lecter award is Dannflor!
"

Dannflor heads upstairs to take the mic and award envelope from Ircher. "The two nominees for this award represent two of the types of Third Party roles and players that Ircher mentioned just now. A cheeky serial killer and a player who navigates a bewildering role and win condition. The nominees are:
Dannflor tears open the envelope and breaks into a smile. "
imaginality is the runner up, and Enchant is the winner!

"One judge said that 'Enchant played his role with efficiency. Maximizing the odds of fulfilling his win condition and getting out of the game.'

"And another judge had this to say, 'The gambit Enchant pulled off there was so good, obviously it's difficult for Enchant to obvtown and get killed at night and it would have been difficult for him to get killed in any other way because the scum were going to lose soon.'

"Come on up, Enchant!"

As Enchant heads up to the podium, the audience chants "Speech! Speech! Speech!"

Enchant shakes hands all around and finally turns to face the crowd. "Third parties are pretty rare. I like their existence, because their goals are different than most. I hope normals will allow more of them, someday.

"Issue is, i don't think comparing them is possible.

"I needed only to get killed at night. Serial Killer needed to survive whole game.

"I guess i had better performance somehow, but i will wonder about it, maybe forever. Thanks for nominating and voting for me, but i am genuinely confused about this choice.

Happy, but still confused."

The audience grows thoughtful over Enchant's words. Perhaps it is fitting that a famously enigmatic and freethinking player wonders how their performance with an unusual third party win condition takes the prize.

Kodak Moment

Ircher gives T-Bone a sideways glance before introducing the next award. "You know how in some games, something crazy just happens out of nowhere? A wild fake claim. Or a wild true claim. Or a coordinated quickhammer misfire, or some--"

"Some other memorable moment?"

"Exactly".

T-Bone grabs the chance for a tangent, "You know, we used to have an award for Most Memorable Moment in a game".

Ircher's smile is a visual
trap sprung
. "Of course and we still do. But now we call it Kodak Moment."

T-bone mutters "I knew that".

Ircher continues, "By either name the award honors those moments in games where something magical happens and players of all alignments enjoy a blissful moment of humor, astonishment, and more. As we all know, Mafia is Serious BusinessTM. Those moments that break through the competitiveness, focus, and dead seriousness are all the sweeter for the contrast. This award was not given out in 2022,
so we're bringing back some mafiosos who won it in 2021 to honor this year's winner. Come on down, guys!
"

Attendees crane their necks and blink as they see three gents in pirate garb join the emcees at the podium. On closer inspection you recognize them as
borkjerfkin, PookyTheMagicalBear and Cephrir

"Arrrr" Cephrir growls.

"Aye matey, it's good to clap eyes on ye again!", Pooky grins.

Bork rasps, "These fine gentlemen were part of the scum team in me Mini theme game, Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night. They had the entire Town pirate-speaking and piratizing their profile pics before you could say 'Jack Sparrow'. Even I pirated up me avatar."

Pooky chuckles, "Aye, it was all fun and pirate games until I flipped Scum Beloved Princess".

Cephrir chimes in "Oh what wailin' and gnashin' of teeth ensued then!"

Pooky laughs "That's enough cavortin' from us old salts. It's time to recognize some new blood!"

Bork takes the envelope from Ircher, lifts his eyepatch and exclaims, "We 'ave a fine crew lined up to sail this award back to port.
Cephrir opens the envelope and chuckles
"Will ye look at that? Malakittens in HMS Mutiny is the runner up and the winners are Ircher and Doctor Drew in Defcon 6.0!"

Pooky reads off some of the judges comments:

"DEFCON is full of shocking, laugh out loud moments. Ircher nuking Drew was the cherry on top of a scum team that had continuously gotten unlucky with dice rolls throughout the game."

"That moment in DEFCON was pretty funny. Everyone was like "noooo scum would never 3-way bus" but then it turned out they did."

"Ircher/Drew was really funny and also surprising/iconic in a way."

bork bellows, "Come on over here ye scallywags and get yer awards!"

Ircher waits for Doctor Drew to climb up the steps to the stage and joins him at the podium. "I'm honored to have been a part of that iconic Defcon 6.0 moment. How about you, Drew?"

Drew shrugs, "I'd rather have been sipping a nicely aged whisky and watching the bombs fall on town, personally. Still it's good to be there when the momentous moment magic happens."

The Pirates and the Cold Warriors exit the stage regaling each other about their various exploits.
Scummies
Scummies
Goon
Scummies
Goon
Goon

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Tue Jun 18, 2024 11:38 am

Post by Scummies »

"Alright," says T-Bone, "it's now time to present the Site Awards. These are awards for the people who have made the biggest positive impact on the site as a whole, in one way or another."

"Not that the other awardees haven't made a positive impact on the site, of course," adds Ircher.

"Of course not. Ircher, who will help us present the site awards?"

"Let me see…" Ircher starts to rifle through the papers on his lectern, looking for the list of names. "Just where did I put that cursed list?"

While he is searching, Datisi sneaks onto the stage, a mischievous smile on his face. He whispers something in T-Bone's ear.

"Hmm, right. I see," T-Bone says. "Well, Datisi is going to present the awards, since he is the only winner of any site awards from last year."

Datisi looks horrified. "Wait, what?!
All
the awards?! I only wanted to present the Community Contributor award, not
all
of them!"

"Hmpf, okay," says T-Bone. "Then who will present the other two?"

Suddenly, a deep voice is heard calling from the bleachers.

"Do not fret, mighty members of the Scummies Steering Committee, for I, Haschel Cedricson, will present the other site awards!"

Haschel climbs onto the stage, looking sleek in his white shirt and purple suspenders.

"Alright," says T-Bone, "that settles —"

"Aha!" Ircher suddenly exclaims, oblivious to what has just transpired. "I found the list. Let's see… Datisi will present the Community Contributor award… and Haschel Cedricson the other two…"

"Well yes," says T-Bone, "we've literally just gone over it. Alright, Haschel, do you want to start?"

He moves off the lectern and Haschel takes his place.

Post of the Year

Haschel puffs his chest and begins to speak. "It is my great pleasure to present the winner of the Post of the Year award. This award is given to the one scummer, who throughout the year has been judged to make the single greatest post. Traditionally, this award has been given for a post combining creativity and humor, and this year is no exception. Although she was the only nominee this year, do not let it deceive you. Out awardee has transcended the boundaries of art, humor, and mafia play, creating a truly unique post – a masterpiece, some might say. And while this post is no doubt one of her greatest, our winner is renowned for her immaculate sense of humor, artistry, and grandiose. The winner of the Post of the Year award for 2023 is hellbooks, for her readlist in micro 1089! Please welcome her onto the stage!"

The audience rises in applauds as hellbooks climbs onto the stage. She waves to the audience, and delivers a short, carefully-crafted victory speech – in Korean – before accepting the trophy from Haschel and going back to her seat.

Game of the Year

"Next up," Haschel continues, "we have the Game of the Year award, which goes to the user who has moderated the game that was most polished, enjoyable, and memorable throughout the entire year. This award is chosen not by a panel of judges, but by all site users, to guarantee that it really is the community's favorite game. Voters are encouraged to look at such factors as flavor, setup design, quality of moderation, quality of play, and even the player list itself when placing their vote, to ensure that this game represents the pinnacle of mafia games. And believe me! This year's winner most certainly does! Described as "a hilarious clusterfuck", "a brand new level of role madness", and as "a masterpiece of scumplay", Alisae's magnum opus, Pokemon Battles 2 takes home the trophy as the game of the year!"

Alisae ascends the stage to receive the trophy.

"I haven't prepared a speech or anything," Alisae says, "but I would like to thank everyone for choosing the best game, which was my game. Thank you."

With that, they take the trophy and return to their seat. Datisi quickly takes Haschel's place in front of the lectern.

Community Contributor

"Thank you, Alisae. Thank you, Haschel," he says, talking much too quickly. "And hi everyone, I'm Datisi. I haven't slept at all last night because I was too excited for the ceremony (and not at all because I just sleep at ungodly hours of the night every single night), so please forgive me if I say anything silly, but I believe I'm presenting the Community Contributor award! This award goes to the user of the site who has made the biggest contribution to the MafiaScum community throughout the year, beyond just playing or modding games. The award goes to someone who made a contribution that, in one way or another, has helped improve the health of the site and made it a better place. While this year there have been several community members who have made spectacular contributions, all truly deserving of the award, in the end our dedicated judges have had to pick only
one
winner, and let me tell you, it was a hard choice, but I believe the winner truly deserves the award. Also," Datisi looks to the sides, as if to make sure nobody is listening, and leans forward as if to share a secret with the audience, "I'm definitely not biased because the winner happens to be my friend! Don't let anyone tell you otherwise!" He resumes speaking in a normal tone. "Moving on, the winner of the Community Contributor award has been chosen for not one, but several different areas of contribution! Not only has she designed new setups and started new engaging GD threads which were honestly a hit, she has also completely overhauled the Normal game system and has sparked new interest in Normal moderation and game design. Please help me welcome to the stage the winner of the Community Contributor award, Ausuka!"

The audience bursts in applause as Ausuka goes onto the stage. She smiles as Datisi hands her the trophy.

"Do you have any words for our audience?" Datisi asks.

"Actually," Ausuka says, "Yes. I have prepared quite a long speech, I hope it's fine."

"Absolutely fine," Datisi says with a smile.

Ausuka looks slightly relieved to hear this. "Hi everyone!" she says, leaning close to the mic so she can be heard. "I want to start by saying thanks for the award. This site means a lot to me, and I've put a lot of time into it over the last year. If that effort didn't go to waste, I'm happy about it.

"I want to give my appreciation to the other nominees for the award. Shea is a great friend of mine, who has helped me through some really difficult times in my life. The email idea was fantastic, and that's just part of what he's been doing. He's worked hard towards improving our SEO, attracting new users and retaining old ones, and keeping the site healthy well into the future.

"As the normal queue listmod I've worked closely with TemporalLich. He works really hard towards the upkeep of the wiki, which is an incredibly helpful resource for mods and players and one of the biggest ways the site finds new users. He also reviews a lot of games in the NRG, devoting a lot of time overall to contributing to this community.

"As well as the other nominees, I'd like to thank all the other users of this site. Every time you join a game, or moderate a game, it helps to keep the site alive. Everyone in the NRG helps keep the normal queue running. And just by posting anywhere on the site, you help to breathe life into it.

"I hope working as the normal listmod I can help to make that happen. I've had a lot of university stuff going on recently, but I'm going to resume working on the projects I have going. One thing that's nearly complete is a resource of sample role PM text for normal roles and modifiers, which I hope will be useful for all mods and especially new ones. If anyone's interested in modding and setup creation, I'd like to quickly shout out the Normal Archives. I've added a lot of games to these archives, and they go back a long time, so you can find a lot of examples of roles and modifiers and how they might play out in an actual game.

"Finally, I'd like to once again thank anyone who decided to read this (you really didn't have to!) I love this site and I've been using it for almost a decade - not quite most of my life, but really not far from it! I first joined when I was 10 and it shaped my development a lot. I've made fantastic friends here who I've had a lot of fun with, and who have supported me emotionally over the years. I really want this site to last for much longer, and I hope you can work with me to make that happen."

The audience applauds again, and a few cheers can be heard from those who did decide to read the entire speech and got thanked by Ausuka for reading it. Ausuka smiles as she goes back to her seat.

"Wow, that was quite something!" says Datisi, "Thank you, Ausuka, for this brilliant speech. You should probably get an award for it. No, seriously you should. It was an amazing speech. I'd nominate you for – Ouch!" he exclaims as T-Bone shoves him away from the lectern.

"Thank you, Datisi and Haschel, for your…
contribution
," says T-Bone. "Unfortunately we are quite short on time, so we are going to have to move on to the next category. What's the next category, Ircher?"

"It's the Mish Mash awards!" says Ircher.

"Oh, right. The best category," says T-Bone. "Well, one ad break and we're back. Stay tuned."
Scummies
Scummies
Goon
Scummies
Goon
Goon

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Tue Jun 18, 2024 11:38 am

Post by Scummies »

WE HAVE CARS
WE HAVE CARS
WE HAVE CARS

COME ON DOWN TO
ANIX'S CAR EMPORIUM
TODAY FOR ALL OF YOUR CAR NEEDS

WE'VE GOT NEW CARS
WE'VE GOT OLD CARS
WE'VE GOT FAST CARS
WE'VE GOT SLOW CARS

THESE CARS CAN DO
LAUNDRY

THEY'LL DO YOUR
TAXES

THEY CAN HELP YOU WIN AT
MAFIA

THE CARS AT
ANIX'S CAR EMPORIUM
ARE THE BEST CARS IN THE ENTIRE EMPORIUM

AND IF YOU'RE NOT HAPPY WITH YOUR CAR?
WE WILL LITERALLY STEAL YOU A NEW ONE

NO CREDIT?
NO PROBLEM!
OUR CARS ARE
FREE

WHY ARE THEY FREE?

MY LAWYER ADVISES ME I HAVE ALREADY SAID TOO MUCH

COME ON DOWN TO
ANIX'S CAR EMPORIUM
AND GET YOUR STOLEN CAR TODAY

disclaimer:
ANIX'S CAR EMPORIUM
is not in any way related to the administrator known as AniX
Scummies
Scummies
Goon
Scummies
Goon
Goon

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Tue Jun 18, 2024 11:39 am

Post by Scummies »

The lights suddenly dim as the stage empties. An awkward silence suffocates the audience, broken only by a hoarse whisper, “Is that it…?”

But then a spotlight snaps on, bathing center stage in a warm yellow. Cephrir steps forward, blinking in the bright light, using cue cards to shield his eyes.

“Er, hello everyone!” He says.

“It is my honor tonight to present the Mashies!” As Cephrir says these words, another figure enters from backstage, joining Cephrir in the spotlight.

“Ah, and let me introduce my brilliant cohost tonight… xofelf!” Cephrir gestures at xofelf, as they take a bow.

“We might be the last awards of the night, but we are *certainly* not the least!” xofelf’s words get a loud “WOOP” from the back of the audience.

Mashtermind

“First up,” Cephrir continues, “We’ve got our nominees for the Mashtermind award!”

“schadd_ wins runner up for schadd walrus 2!” A cheer goes up as a light briefly shines on schadd_ in the audience.

“But the winners are CreativeMod1, Ariel, and Noraa for Taskmaster: Season 2!” Cephrir claps his hands as the winners join him on stage to accept the award.

Xofelf smiles warmly and shakes each of the winners’ hands.

“Mish Mash would literally not exist without our mods,” xofelf says, “and our whole community has you to thank for that.”

“One judge had this to say about our winning nomination,” Cephrir says.

“Taskmaster is always a huge undertaking and a fun thing for a bunch of people to join together and test their skills. It feels like it is going to be a mainstay and while I’d consider voting for something that is more “of the moment” well, the only other option is a completely different mainstay. So for the amount of modding effort among other things and giving something for us all to come back to I vote for Taskmaster Season 2.”

Congratulations are given all around and eventually the stage clears for the next award.

Best Social Game

“Now,” says xofelf, “what was the Best Social Game of 2023?”

Xofelf pauses, savoring the silence as the crowd waits in anticipation.

“Our winners were VashtaNeurotic, BipolarChemist, and Gypyx for Survivor: Lights Camera Action!” xofelf throws their cue card into the air in celebration as the three winners head on stage, waving to their fans.

“It was certainly a tough decision this year,” Cephrir adds, “With five nominees and a stacked roster of social games. Special recognition must also go to ambic, Aronis, Malkon05, and Silverclaw, who were the runners up for their game Survivor: Village.”

The awards are passed out and the winning moderation team goes back to their seats, giddy with excitement.

Smash Mouth

“Now, we’re getting to the individual awards!” Says Cephrir. “This next one goes to the best individual Mish Mash player this year! Whatever that might mean.”

Xofelf chuckles and adds, “It means something different every year, and every year is a competitive race!”

“This year our Smash Mouth runner up was mallowgeno!” Cephrir exclaims. A burst of applause ripples over the crowd. “And our Smash Mouth winner is…. ARIEL!”

A loud whistle pierces the air as Ariel happily receives the award on stage.

“And now,” xofelf says, “We’ve got some special words from the judges about Ariel.”

Ariel blushes and tries to get off the stage, but xofelf is already talking.

“One judge says… There is very little things in the mish mash area that go amazing without Ariel being there. From modding taskmaster, to all the telephone pictionaries, to the revolving walrus (though that seems to have died down). Ariel also is responsible for maintaining so much of the wiki and this was a year when Ariel did a whole hell of a lot. I don’t think any year is a bad year for Ariel to win Smash Mouth but I feel it is especially earned here.”

The applause is deafening, and Ariel just hides behind the trophy.

“Another judge said… Ariel’s won this one before, and still deserves to win it again. What can you say about Ariel that hasn’t been said before? There are parts of Mish Mash that would not still be going strong, like our wiki presence, if it hadn’t been for Ariel. And Ariel is a fantastic comod.” Xofelf finishes.

Ariel leaves the stage, making an attempt to continue hiding behind their award. But stairs, aisles and rows of seats are a bit too much for obstructed vision. Ariel gives up and settles for making a mad rush back to their seat amidst the applause.

Best Mish Mash Newbie

Cephrir looks out at the audience for a moment. "You know, we would never have Smash Mouth winners, if we didn't have a steady stream of gifted Mish Mash newbies who begin making a mark for themselves with their first mish mash and social games. This year's newbies have been phenomenal, and I'm sure they'll go on to bigger things in years to come. Xofelf, will you do the honors?" Cephrir hands the envelope to his intrepid cohost.

Xofelf starts clapping, arms over head. Slowly, across the auditorium, attendees join in.

"We've all been there. We all started with one game, be it large or small. We all jumped in over our heads and then figured out how to play a social game online. And we can all still play our beloved social games, in no small part because new people join and play every year. They're all welcome, and they're all great additions. And every year, we have newbies who stand out as future greats themselves.

"This year's nominees for Best Newbie are: stoive, for Survivor: Village and other games, Balki B, for Survivor: Village and Survivor: LCA, and petapan, for The Genius: First Encounter

"The 2023 Best Newbie runner up is Balki B!
And the winner of the 2023 Best Newbie Award is stoive!
Come on up, stoive!"

Xofelf keeps the overhead clapping going, as everyone in the audience joins in, making a thunderous synchronized wall of sound. stoive runs up to the stage and skids to a stop.

Cephrir shouts to be heard over the clapping "Let me share some of the judges' comments about this years nominees:

'All three are really good and I can't choose without putting in more time and thought than I have right now.'

'Stoive showed up, won a game and then…stuck around, playing more games. Like I adore stoive, amazing person and is somehow more charming than DV at times? What gives. Going to be a major community player for a while and I am very happy about it. Easy first place.'

'Stoive literally won the first game that he played in on MS, and was a very compelling player and very charismatic.'

'Stoive!! Such a fun addition to the community, he's such a delight to interact with, and he plays in an understated way while still making jaw-dropping moves.'

'This was stoive’s year, a phenomenal introduction to a wonderful player and person. A social force in every sense of the word, started out strong and will continue to be one and we stan.'"

Xofelf hands stoive the Best Newbie Mashie award and stoive stares at it thoughtfully. Cephrir laughs and grabs stoive's hand and lifts the trophy over stoive's head. The overhead clapping picks up again while Xofelf and Cephrir enthusiastically shake stoive's hand.

The applause doesn't die down until well after stoive is seated in the audience again.

Mashterstroke

“And finally,” Cephrir intones with some seriousness, “We have the Mashterstroke. What was the absolute best moment of the year?”

“Ooh, ooh, I know!” xofelf's hand shoots up.

“That’s cheating, xof, you know all the results!” Cephrir counters.

“Oh, right… Can I still be the one to announce it?” xofelf winks at Cephrir, and he makes a grand 'after you' gesture.

"There were so many memorable MishMash moments nominated this year; the judges had no easy task to choose the most memorable of them all! The nominees were:
“The runner up is SaveTheDragons for Survivor: LCA! Congrats! And who wins?
the worst, Mina, and ORAM for developing their clever game in the “Spreading the Love” task of Taskmaster S2, Ep5!
” xofelf nearly screams.

"Come on down, the worst!", Cephrir shouts.

the worst, seated in the middle of a long row, excuses himself as he squeezes past knees, backpacks, boots, and other obstacles and finally makes his way to the stage. From way up in the nosebleed section, someone yells "Look! It's the Mighty Duck!", setting off a series of groans across the huge underground room.

"You're the worst!", someone yells back.

"No,
I'm
the worst", the honoree replies, having finally made it to the stage. The joke, however expectable, is met with giggles and applause.

xofelf gestures for silence or at least a lower decibel roar from the crowd. "Let me share some of the comments from the judges!

'When I saw this in taskmaster my mouth dropped open. I was truly and utterly impressed not just that this was possible, but that it worked so seamlessly and all the effort that had to make it.'

"It's very clever and unique!"

'The Worst makes Kelly Rowland texting in Excel (https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZPR3bYa4G/) look like a prodigy ahead of her time. It's brilliant, it's hilarious, it's everything I want out of Taskmaster'

'I didn’t even know that you could DO that in a spreadsheet?! It seemed like an incredibly fun game and just a phenomenal submission in a game filled with great submissions.'

Xofelf hands over the Mashterstroke award to the worst with a flourish and gestures to the crowd to bring the house down with applause. He shakes the Mashie award hosts' hands and returns laboriously to his seat with only one "ouch" along the way.
Last edited by Ircher on Wed Jun 19, 2024 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scummies
Scummies
Goon
Scummies
Goon
Goon

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Tue Jun 18, 2024 11:39 am

Post by Scummies »

After a short break, in which users had the opportunity to grab their last supplies of food and drink, Ircher made his way onto the podium to give one final speech. "So, that concludes this year's Scummies! Please continue to nominate games you think are worthy for awards in the coming year. It's always nice to be recognised for your efforts and for others to appreciate the things you did well. I think often, people think nice things about others, but never communicate those thoughts because there never seems to be a correct, or not awkward, time to do it. Events like this give us an opportunity to appreciate one another's accomplishments and skills."
He smiled as the audience clapped and he made his way backstage.

Skygazer came up the stairs next. "Thank you, Ircher, that was an excellent speech. Our celebration is almost over, unfortunately, but I'm sure we'll all remember the great times we had here tonight. Now, for our finale, I would like to invite everyone here outside. That's right, we're finally going to allow you to leave! It's quite dark and cold, so remember to put on your coat. Since this will be very important, I'm going to leave a little time for everyone to make their way out. I'll be waiting for you all, so don't miss it."

Twenty minutes later, Skygazer led a crowd of about two hundred mafiascum users into a massive elevator. The elevator got crowded very quickly, as everyone had to scramble for a place inside. Only a lucky few were able to lean on one of the walls. Eventually, the elevator slowly rose to the surface, and the doors opened to reveal they were inside a steel shelter. The group made their way out and stumbled onto a field of grass outside the venue. By their request, T-Bone was filling out a registration form and making sure everyone was in attendance.

"Everyone, thank you again for coming here tonight." Skygazer began. "We came a long way, but I think it's worth it to see all the stars shining so brightly. The Milky Way is an amazing sight, and it's really a shame what us humans have done to the sky. In most developed countries, light pollution is at such a level that the Milky Way and most stars are barely even visible in the night sky. The universe is majestic and beautiful, and I think we're doing ourselves a great disservice by depriving ourselves of that beauty."

People reacted to their speech in a variety of ways. Some listened intently, hanging on their every word. Some were ruminating about their own environmental impact. Others were just bored. None of them were looking at the building they had just left.

Suddenly, they heard a loud and terrible sound, shocking everyone and making them turn around. They heard the sound of a roof collapsing and crumbling, as bright colour exploded from the shelter. Litres of elephant paste poured out of the building, erupting into the air in seven colours; red, orange, yellow, green, cyan, dark blue, and purple. The liquid rose into the sky, creating an awesome sight.

"Happy Pride Month!" Skygazer chirped, as everyone else looked on in a mixture of shock and horror.

"Y-you-The roof! We're going to have to pay for that!!" Ircher shouted at them. "Don't tell me you filled the actual shelter with elephant paste too??"
"Worth it."
"Ugh, I am sick of this! First you make me wait until June to finish the preparations, then you mess around during the ceremony, and now you do this? You know what, I quit!" Ircher exclaimed. "Next year you can do your own Scummies!" He stormed off into the night.

"Uh." T-bone wasn't sure whether to laugh or display guilt in some way. "Thank you, folks, that'll be all. I hope you all have your own mode of transportation. Have a good evening."
Scummies
Scummies
Goon
Scummies
Goon
Goon

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Tue Jun 18, 2024 11:39 am

Post by Scummies »

Credits

This ceremony would not have happened without the contributions of volunteers in the community. Thank you, volunteers, once more for your contributions, and we hope to see everyone again next year! Don't forget to nominate people for Scummies and Mashies!

Writers

DragonEater70
Ausuka
Dannflor
fferyllt
Skygazer

Scummies Judges

Aristophanes
Dannflor
DragonEater70
Flavor Leaf
Ircher
mastina
RH9
Skygazer
T3

Mashies Judges

Cephrir
Haschel Cedricson
kdowns
PrivateI
VashtaNeurotic
xofelf

Scummies and Mashies Steering Committee

Ircher
Alisae
Aristophanes
Datisi
DragonEater70
mastina
RH9
xofelf
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea
Pronoun: He / Him / His

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Tue Jun 18, 2024 12:02 pm

Post by Ircher »

Congratulations to all our winners!

I'd also like to give a special shoutout to DragonEater70 for making this ceremony happen. He provided the overarching vision for the ceremony and organized it into bite-sized chunks that could be executed.
Links: User Page
Do you have questions, ideas, or feedback for the Scummies? Please pm me!
Black
Black
she/her
Twilight Princess

Black
she/her
Twilight Princess

Twilight Princess

Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Tue Jun 18, 2024 12:14 pm

Post by Black »

Congrats everyone! And thank you so much DE for the ceremony. This was so much fun to read!
I scumread Alianna.

ALL HAIL THE SCUM QUEEN!
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack

Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack

Welcome to the Haystack

Pronoun: She

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Tue Jun 18, 2024 1:17 pm

Post by Ythan »

Ooo congrats everyone go Isis!
ORAM
ORAM
She/Her
Mashterstroke

ORAM
She/Her
Mashterstroke

Mashterstroke

Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Tue Jun 18, 2024 1:45 pm

Post by ORAM »

Huge props to DE as well as everyone else involved, thank you!
PookyTheMagicalBear
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
Pooky got your back

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Tue Jun 18, 2024 2:13 pm

Post by PookyTheMagicalBear »

Congrats to the winners and huge props to all the writers and judges! :3
Show
"I hope one day I can openly play as wolfy as Pooky and get zero pressure for it grumble grumble."
-MariaR

"I can't even look at the game anymore.
That evil teddy bear has got everyone twirling by his thumb.
It's like witnessing an slow but unavoidable train crash you can't stop."

-Norwee
Shirou
Shirou
He/Him
Goodfellas
Shirou
He/Him
Goodfellas
Goodfellas
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Tue Jun 18, 2024 2:18 pm

Post by Shirou »

Oh, congrats to everyone and it's fun to see that our scumteam won Goodfellas, it was a fun game to be in

Also...that's a lot of writing! Hats off for everyone involved in bringing the event to life, it must have been hard.

"Que será, será. Whatever will be, will be."

"listen i know its funny to say shirou is scum but shirou is just literally crazy"
~Firebringer on town!Shirou
"Not if it was Volpe's PLAN all along that we lim him and when he flips red we think Wooper is scum"
~town!Norwee jokes about scum!Shirou's actual plan
(Aka Volpe14)
the worst
the worst
Snuggly Duckling

the worst
Snuggly Duckling

Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Tue Jun 18, 2024 2:36 pm

Post by the worst »

Thank you so much to the scummies & mashies team for another awesome year! Thank you DragonEater and the writing team for a really enjoyable ceremony.

A huge congratulations to all of the winners, too. Reading over this was such a delight -it's been a great year in MafiaScum history and a pleasure sharing this site with y'all.

I have to take a moment to give a huge shoutout to the greatest Taskmaster teammates of all time, Mina and ORAM. I might have been the nerd who did the coding part. But, without them getting involved in this, the final product wouldn't have been anywhere near as impressive as it was. Without having them to write with, without their feedback, and without their encouragement, the final product wouldn't have been anywhere near as special as it was. And most importantly, they fostered a team environment where wanting to excel (sorry) just felt so natural. I can't overstate how much of a team effort this one was. There are no folks on the planet I'd rather be banned from YouTube for COVID misinformation with. :heart:
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory

fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory

Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Tue Jun 18, 2024 3:33 pm

Post by fferyllt »

More shoutout to DragonEater70 for your vision and execution for this Scummies/Mashies ceremony. I love that you brought back the narrative style of awards from yesteryear. And, thanks to all the MS members who agreed to be NPCs in the ceremony!

Also, much appreciation for the paperback writer award. I can't think of an award I'd be more jazzed to be nominated for. And as I said in my "speech" the flavor was very much a group effort. Many thanks to penguin_alien, Syryana, GuyInFreezer, and every player who participated in the story!
Amid the pressure of great events, a general principle gives no help.

Idic
Enchant
Enchant
Hannibal Lecter
Enchant
Hannibal Lecter
Hannibal Lecter

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Tue Jun 18, 2024 3:39 pm

Post by Enchant »

I annoyed Dragon about this, i saved scummies.
Wizard-Mercenary

You need replacement/players ASAP? PM me! I almost always accept.
Enchant
Enchant
Hannibal Lecter
Enchant
Hannibal Lecter
Hannibal Lecter

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Tue Jun 18, 2024 3:41 pm

Post by Enchant »

Fine, fine, i joked.

Thanks everyone for making it happen, congratulations to winners.
Wizard-Mercenary

You need replacement/players ASAP? PM me! I almost always accept.
AniX
AniX
None
UCalled
AniX
None
UCalled
UCalled
Pronoun: None

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Tue Jun 18, 2024 3:57 pm

Post by AniX »

Community Contributor Category:
- Someone I appointed a Wiki Manager nominated for the Wiki
- Someone I made a Discussion Mod nominated for trying to improve Discussion on site by getting more people on site
- Someone I made Normal Queue Mod nominated for improving the Normal Queue

This site is a pyramid scheme and it is time for the prestige to trickle UP
Official Gimmick List:
INVENTOR OF UPICK!
LORD OF THE 11TH HOUR!
ASEXUAL!
KING SCAR APOLOGIST!
DREAMER OF THE NE0N DREAM (SUPP 2021 LAST PLACE WINNER)!

I have donned the
RED CROWN
AniX
AniX
None
UCalled
AniX
None
UCalled
UCalled
Pronoun: None

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Tue Jun 18, 2024 3:57 pm

Post by AniX »

In all seriousness, congrats to all the winners! I'm going to try to get as many banners up tonight as I can, but I'll have them all up tomorrow for sure.

EDIT: All banners should be up for all winners except for those who won TOO MUCH (Black and Gimli), who'll I need to make a double-barrel gif for tomorrow at some point. Please let me know if I made any errors (actually removed your title, accidentally removed your Pride banner, accidentally gave you the wrong banner or didn't give you one at all, etc.)
Official Gimmick List:
INVENTOR OF UPICK!
LORD OF THE 11TH HOUR!
ASEXUAL!
KING SCAR APOLOGIST!
DREAMER OF THE NE0N DREAM (SUPP 2021 LAST PLACE WINNER)!

I have donned the
RED CROWN
Alianna
Alianna
She/Her
Death by 1000 Pagetops

Alianna
She/Her
Death by 1000 Pagetops

Death by 1000 Pagetops

Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Tue Jun 18, 2024 5:48 pm

Post by Alianna »

Very well-executed ceremony! I really enjoyed reading it, and not just because I won (
though that was part of it
). That looks like it was a lot of work, so thanks to the writers, judges, and organizers for taking the time to put this event together. And of course, congratulations to all the winners!
I townread Alianna.

Post #1000s Collected: 27
GTKAS

Return to “Mafia Discussion”