Newbie 2054 - GAME OVER

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Nexus
Nexus
He
miss
Nexus
He
miss
miss
Pronoun: He

Newbie 2054 - GAME OVER

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:52 am

Post by Nexus »

Player List:

Kazyan

Meuh
marcistar

Cantripmancer

Harumi Ayasato
2ndchosen1
ItalianoVD (SE)
Alisae
eth0s (SE) *

Krazy (SE)

Spoiler: dead
2ndchosen1 - Mafia Goon - Eliminated Day 1

Kazyan - Vanilla Townie - Murdered Night 1

Cantripmancer - Mafia Goon - Eliminated Day 2
Last edited by Nexus on Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:56 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Trans rights are human rights.
Nexus
Nexus
He
miss
Nexus
He
miss
miss

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:54 am

Post by Nexus »

Game Rules:

Rule 0: Don't be a dick. - If you are being a dick, you run the risk of force-replacement or modkill. You may or may not be warned.

General:

- Please adhere to the site rules.
- Do not discuss this game of mafia outside of this thread unless your role PM allows you to do so.
- Day phases will last 10 days (for Day 1) and 7 days for any further days.
- Night Phases will last 48 hours maximum.
- During night phase, no talking may be done in the thread.
- Do not quote PM's from the mod at all (real or fabricated). Paraphrasing is acceptable.
- If you have any questions about your role, or the game, feel free to PM the mod.
- "Bah" posts are not allowed.
- If you break any of these rules, you will probably be modkilled.

Voting/Player Actions:

- All votes must be in bold format: vote: Nexus for example.
- Try to unvote before voting. Unvotes must also be in bold.
- Any and all votes will be counted, if you wish to waste a day phase voting for someone not in the game,that's fine by me.
- You may vote No Elimination.
- Voting tricks are not acceptable. If you misspell someone's name intentionally, but I get the gist of it, the vote will count.
- An elimination will occur once a majority decision is reached. If no majority is reached by deadline, then no elimination shall occur.
- Following an elimination, it is twilight. You may continue to post until I lock the thread and declare it night.
- If you have a Night Action, you may submit it from Night 1 and each subsequent Night. No other time.

Activity:

- You are expected to post at least once every 36 hours. If you haven't posted for 36 hours, I shall prod you. If you do not respond to the prod within 48 hours (either in thread if it's Day, or via PM during the Night) then I will replace you.
- Similarly, if you require more than three prods, I will force-replace you.

Mechanics:

-
Blue
is my colour. Please don't use it.
- Confirm by how your Role PM tells you to once you are ready to play. Once there are 7 confirms, the game begins.
- Do not edit your posts.
- No impossible/hard to read text, or cryptography.
- The Mod may make mistakes - please point out any mistakes gently. Mistakes will be corrected where possible, but sometimes mistakes are made that cannot be reversed. These will stand as final to be commiserated over after the game.
- If there is a hydra or an alt in the game, you must not post in your normal account. Doing so and then not quoting it as a hydra or an alt will invite a warning. Excessive failure to post as a hydra or an alt and not quoting it will result in force-replacement.
- If you need to get the mod's attention, either PM me, or bold the text you wish to draw to my attention.
- I reserve the right to alter/remove/add any rules as I see fit. You will, of course, be notified if that happens, however.
Last edited by Nexus on Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nexus
Nexus
He
miss
Nexus
He
miss
miss

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:55 am

Post by Nexus »

Introduction and Tips
Thanks to Irrelephant11 and others for their contributions to these tips.

Here are some helpful links (a lot of them from our helpful wiki):

-> Forum Rules and Guidelines
-> The Glossary
-> Commonly Used Abbreviations
-> The Newbie Guide
-> Articles on How to Play Well (be sure to check the dates these were written/updated, as good advice changes over time)

Key Concepts and Tips

Activity

Try to check in at least once a day.
Besides the activity requirements listed in the moderator's original post, it's just necessary for a fun and healthy game that everyone
plays
. If you post very rarely, or only post a little bit at a time, you may get scumread for lurking. Even if you are not scumread for it, what's the fun in playing a game where multiple people are hardly participating?

Site Meta

Meta is the description of how people on Mafiascum like to play mafia. Things can be different on other online mafia sites, or if you play IRL, so it's good to know what's expected of you on this site. These aren't "rules", per se, but if you don't follow these guidelines it is likely things will go poorly for you on MS. Some examples are...

Random Voting Stage (RVS)

Games on MafiaScum almost always begin with what we call the Random Voting Stage (RVS). At this point in the game, we are in a low information game state (except the mafia, which know everyone’s alignment). As a way to provoke reaction, start a discussion, and try to determine alignment, people will usually vote for non-serious reasons. As the discussion progresses, we will eventually get the game moving and progress out of RVS.

Voting, E-x, and Hammers

E-x is a way to convey how far away a player is away from elimination. For example, you should always announce that you are putting someone at E-1 (1 vote away from an elimination) so that someone doesn’t come along and accidentally vote for that player's elimination. This also prevents Mafia-aligned players from coming along and placing the final vote to eliminate (“hammer”) and claiming ignorance about doing so. You may also see E-2 and E-3 (2 votes away from elimination and 3 votes away from elimination, respectively).

Before you hammer a player, state your intent to hammer (usually done in bold) and ask the player to claim their role. This is done to prevent power roles from being eliminated, and can sometimes get Mafia-aligned players to be caught (via counter claiming). It's best to then allow other players to react and discuss the claim before hammering.

Claiming Your Role

It is almost always best to not claim your role unless you are at E-1 and have been asked to claim as part of an “intent to hammer.” This is because, as a town power role (“PR”), if you out prematurely, you are likely to be night-killed (“NK’d”). As a Vanilla Townie (“VT”), claiming early helps the mafia team narrow down the setup and possible PR candidates. An exception to this would be if a mafia player claimed your role, claiming early to counter the false claim (“CC”) would out the mafia player, and would be a benefit to the town.

Do not fake claim a power role as town!
While it may help you avoid getting eliminated, you might cause a real PR to out themselves by counterclaiming - then the mafia will know who the PR is, and you will probably get eliminated for lying to town. Feel free to fake a claim as scum, though, if you think it would help.

ELo

ELo is the shortened representation of “Eliminate or Lose.” ELo in the Newbie Queue is when there are 3 remaining players, 2 of which are town and 1 is mafia; or when there are 5 remaining players, 3 of which are town and 2 are mafia. It is important in these situations that the town aligned players do not carelessly vote like is done during RVS or early days, as the mafia player(s) can organize and instantly provide the necessary votes to eliminate (“quickhammer”) and win the game.

Conclusion

Mafia is hard!
As town, it can be hard to figure things out, and stressful when people think you're scum.
That's okay!
Just share your thoughts on who you think is scum as they come to you, and don't be afraid to change your mind. As scum, it can be hard to lie convincingly, and stressful when people think you're scum. Don't let that scare you! Try to think of what you would post if you were town, and don't be afraid to "change your mind".

This is a game.
Have fun!
Nexus
Nexus
He
miss
Nexus
He
miss
miss

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:08 am

Post by Nexus »

Role PMs have gone out. 48 hours to get confirmations before I seek replacements.
Nexus
Nexus
He
miss
Nexus
He
miss
miss

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:02 pm

Post by Nexus »

Looking for replacements. Please hold.
Nexus
Nexus
He
miss
Nexus
He
miss
miss

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:25 am

Post by Nexus »

Everyone has confirmed. With 9 alive it takes 5 to eliminate. Day 1 will end 10 days from now, at 11am GMT on the 20th February 2021 - (expired on 2021-02-20 11:00:00)
eth0s
eth0s
Mafia Scum
eth0s
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:59 am

Post by eth0s »

VOTE: Harumi Ayasato
it's a zero in my name (for PM purposes etc)
Kazyan
Kazyan
Goon
Kazyan
Goon
Goon

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:28 am

Post by Kazyan »

VOTE: Cantripmancer, for wearing an insufficiently-silly hat.
Harumi Ayasato
Harumi Ayasato
Goon
Harumi Ayasato
Goon
Goon

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:50 am

Post by Harumi Ayasato »

VOTE: eth0s because I can't tell if you're someone I know or not.
Defeating scum with the power of friendship!

Not Tarhalindur, though I do think he's a cool person. If Tarhalindur happens to see this, sorry for using your name everywhere else.
Krazy
Krazy
Jack of All Trades
Krazy
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:10 am

Post by Krazy »

VOTE: haruhi ayasato

Hi there! My side quest for day 1 is to make sure everyone has an avatar! If there's any images you like I can help resize them or if you need other help setting up an avatar let me know!
vote conspiracy
Cantripmancer
Cantripmancer
Townie
Cantripmancer
Townie
Townie

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:21 am

Post by Cantripmancer »

VOTE: Krazy

For being...well...crazy.
Cantripmancer
Cantripmancer
Townie
Cantripmancer
Townie
Townie

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:21 am

Post by Cantripmancer »

VOTE: Krazy

Ah, that's better.
marcistar
marcistar
Goodfellas

marcistar
Goodfellas

Goodfellas

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:38 am

Post by marcistar »

krazys pfp do be cute doe :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Kazyan
Kazyan
Goon
Kazyan
Goon
Goon

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:55 am

Post by Kazyan »

"Surrounded by anime girls" really sets the tone for the game of [checks notes] Mafia. This will be fun.
Harumi Ayasato
Harumi Ayasato
Goon
Harumi Ayasato
Goon
Goon

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:59 am

Post by Harumi Ayasato »

In post 9, Krazy wrote:VOTE: haruhi ayasato

Hi there! My side quest for day 1 is to make sure everyone has an avatar! If there's any images you like I can help resize them or if you need other help setting up an avatar let me know!
Alright, feel free to help Haru
h
i Ayasato with their avatar. Is there anything I can help you with?
Defeating scum with the power of friendship!

Not Tarhalindur, though I do think he's a cool person. If Tarhalindur happens to see this, sorry for using your name everywhere else.
Krazy
Krazy
Jack of All Trades
Krazy
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:02 am

Post by Krazy »

I have a tendency to use hyperbole and confidence regarding reads. Part of this hyperbole is saying 'im masons with x' or 'i have a guilty on y' -- these are not softs and I am not trying to rolefish or anything like that. They are just a way of expressing my reads in shorthand, usually to indicate I liked or disliked one specific post. For example, I might say "I'm masons with marcistar" and that would be more a way to express my initial take on their first post and not a real hardclaim. I say that because I was about to say "I'm masons with marcistar" -- usually I'd just leave it at that since people in normals/large themes would usually get that it wasn't a serious claim.

I also townread both of kazyan's posts so far.

Pedit: yeah saw the typo after the post, sorry. Too many episodes of haruhi suzumiya I guess. Do you have a picture in mind? Is harumi a character from an anime?
vote conspiracy
Krazy
Krazy
Jack of All Trades
Krazy
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:15 am

Post by Krazy »

I googled her :P

Harumi Gif avatar version 1:
Spoiler:

Harumi Static avatar version 1:
Spoiler:

Harumi Static avatar version 2:
Spoiler:

Any of those work for you?
vote conspiracy
Cantripmancer
Cantripmancer
Townie
Cantripmancer
Townie
Townie

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:22 am

Post by Cantripmancer »

In post 15, Krazy wrote:I have a tendency to use hyperbole and confidence regarding reads. Part of this hyperbole is saying 'im masons with x' or 'i have a guilty on y' -- these are not softs and I am not trying to rolefish or anything like that. They are just a way of expressing my reads in shorthand, usually to indicate I liked or disliked one specific post. For example, I might say "I'm masons with marcistar" and that would be more a way to express my initial take on their first post and not a real hardclaim. I say that because I was about to say "I'm masons with marcistar" -- usually I'd just leave it at that since people in normals/large themes would usually get that it wasn't a serious claim.
Any particular reason you choose to use language that has game connotations? For example, if I liked a particular take or perspective, instead of "I'm masons with marcistar", I'd say something like "I'm mindmelding with Marci" or "Marci makes a good point" or even just "/barn Marci". It feels a bit needlessly confusing (especially when it comes to something as extreme as "I have a guilty on Y").
Meuh
Meuh
She/her
Jack of All Trades
Meuh
She/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: She/her

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:27 am

Post by Meuh »

Hey everyone!!! time for town to win :cool: VOTE:
Kazyan
for not having an anime girl as their pfp.

Scummies, you should out yourselves now! Otherwise we'll catch you and you'll face HARSH consequences for your crimes :D
ItalianoVD
ItalianoVD
He
Mafia Scum
ItalianoVD
He
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:40 am

Post by ItalianoVD »

VOTE: 2ndchosen1
You’re turn.
Krazy
Krazy
Jack of All Trades
Krazy
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:42 am

Post by Krazy »

In post 17, Cantripmancer wrote:Any particular reason you choose to use language that has game connotations? For example, if I liked a particular take or perspective, instead of "I'm masons with marcistar", I'd say something like "I'm mindmelding with Marci" or "Marci makes a good point" or even just "/barn Marci". It feels a bit needlessly confusing (especially when it comes to something as extreme as "I have a guilty on Y").

Usually just because jokeclaiming masons/guilties is more fun and direct. To be clear, it's also something I usually drop by day 2. The silliness of it has to deal with just getting through day 1; since obviously being masons is the only way to have a townread on someone day 1, and there's actually no way whatsoever to have a day 1 guilty there's no actual risk of "I have a guilty on x" as being confused for a real claim.

@Meuh, this is a little oog but was rachelpie trying to in with you? The proximity of your ins made me think you were friends or something

@Italiano, just for your own sanity I am also Happy Unbirthday Boon, so hello again!
vote conspiracy
Kazyan
Kazyan
Goon
Kazyan
Goon
Goon

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:46 am

Post by Kazyan »

We're going to beat the Mafia with the power of friendship, aren't we. ._______.

All in favor of town PR claims being presented as transformation sequences when the time comes to do that?
In post 15, Krazy wrote:I also townread both of kazyan's posts so far.
why_though.jpg
Cantripmancer
Cantripmancer
Townie
Cantripmancer
Townie
Townie

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:13 am

Post by Cantripmancer »

In post 20, Krazy wrote:Usually just because jokeclaiming masons/guilties is more fun and direct. To be clear, it's also something I usually drop by day 2. The silliness of it has to deal with just getting through day 1; since obviously being masons is the only way to have a townread on someone day 1, and there's actually no way whatsoever to have a day 1 guilty there's no actual risk of "I have a guilty on x" as being confused for a real claim.
ThumbsUp.gif
Kazyan wrote:All in favor of town PR claims being presented as transformation sequences when the time comes to do that?
I have no idea what you're saying here. Explain, please?
Kazyan
Kazyan
Goon
Kazyan
Goon
Goon

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:19 am

Post by Kazyan »

In post 22, Cantripmancer wrote:
Kazyan wrote:All in favor of town PR claims being presented as transformation sequences when the time comes to do that?
I have no idea what you're saying here. Explain, please?
It was an un-serious suggestion, based on the tone set in post 18 and the various anime avatars, that a townie revealing their power role would be like the overwrought transformation animations you see in magical girl shows (e.g. Sailor Moon).

I'm off to a great start on being understandable.
Krazy
Krazy
Jack of All Trades
Krazy
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:22 am

Post by Krazy »

In post 21, Kazyan wrote:We're going to beat the Mafia with the power of friendship, aren't we. ._______.

All in favor of town PR claims being presented as transformation sequences when the time comes to do that?
In post 15, Krazy wrote:I also townread both of kazyan's posts so far.
why_though.jpg
just tone reads, thought process reads will be more important once the game has more content

beating the mafia with the power of friendship can be problematic (it can be hard to reevaluate people if you don't *want* to reevaluate them) but I still would rather have that then a highly toxic game, which can occur even in newbie queue.

Also if every PR claim comes accompanied with a transformation sequence then this would probably end up being my favorite newbie queue game ever... :P
vote conspiracy

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”