Newbie 2127: game over

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Skygazer
Skygazer
any
For My Next Guest
Skygazer
any
For My Next Guest
For My Next Guest
Pronoun: any

Newbie 2127: game over

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Thu Jul 06, 2023 6:44 am

Post by Skygazer »

Newbie 2127: Flavor Grab Bag

game is over | moderated by Skygazer

I'm having a hard time settling on one idea for flavor, so I'll be throwing a lot at you and seeing what sticks.

Spoiler: player list
- Snix
usesPython
Claptastik

- ChicagoTypewriter**
- Bazuf*
- KatyKimFanClub
- MikhailTal
Vestrea*

- the worst
HighFlyingDwarf*

- JasonWazza (SE)
- Political Clout* (SE)
- DeltaBreedy (SE)

* asterisks indicate prods

Spoiler: living players
- Bazuf, vanilla townie
- KatyKimFanClub, vanilla townie
- Political Clout, vanilla townie
- DeltaBreedy, vanilla townie

Spoiler: dead players
- MikhailTal, vanilla townie, eliminated day one
- JasonWazza, town mason, killed night one
- Snix, mafia goon, eliminated day two
- the worst, town mason, killed night two
- ChicagoTypewriter, mafia roleblocker, eliminated day three

Last edited by Skygazer on Mon Sep 18, 2023 3:50 am, edited 24 times in total.
Skygazer
Skygazer
any
For My Next Guest
Skygazer
any
For My Next Guest
For My Next Guest

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Fri Jul 07, 2023 2:59 am

Post by Skygazer »

Here are some rules for you to read and follow!

General:

- Please adhere to the site rules. Also check out these clarifications. Site rules supersede my own.
- The word "lynch" shall not be used; it has been banned from use on this website due to the brutal historical context surrounding the word. Newbie games use the word "elimination," but feel free to use any other whimsical alternatives!
- Do not discuss this game of mafia outside of this thread or any private topics that I have created.
- "Day One" will be 10 days long. Subsequent day phases will be 7 days long.
- Night phases will last 48 hours.
- During night phases, no talking may be done in the thread.
- Do not take any action that attempts to prove the existence of private game communications. You are allowed to claim that these communications exist as long as you do not attempt to provide evidence.
- If you have any questions about your role, or the game, feel free to privately message me. If I'm asked a question publicly, I will try to answer it as accurately as I can without revealing anything about the game.
- Dead players may not post. This includes "bah" posts and the twilight phase before post-game.

Voting / Player Actions:

- Vote either with vote tags (VOTE: Skygazer) or with bold (
vote: skyg
). Note that nicknames, abbreviations and acronyms are acceptable, as long as the intended vote is obvious. I will state if a vote isn't obvious.
- Don't try to confuse me with your votes.
- An elimination will occur once a majority decision is reached. If no majority is reached, the day phase will end peacefully.
- Following an elimination, it is twilight. You may continue to post until I lock the thread.
- After the twilight phase, I will reveal the role and alignment of the eliminated player and the night phase shall begin.
- If you have a night action, you may submit it from night one and each subsequent night phase (or whichever nights are specified by the role).

Activity:

- You are expected to post at least once every 36 hours. If you haven't posted for 36 hours, I shall prod you. If you do not respond to the prod within 24 hours (either in thread if it's Day, or via PM during the Night) then I will replace you.
- If you decide to replace out, please PM me and don't post in thread after doing so; if you want to rescind the replacement please PM me again and don't post in thread until you hear back.

Misc:

- No impossible/hard to read text, or cryptography. For example, I would prefer that no font size smaller than the one you're reading now be used.
- The mod may make mistakes; please point out any mistakes gently. Mistakes will be corrected where possible, but sometimes mistakes are made that cannot be reversed. These will stand as final to be commiserated over after the game.
- If you need to get the mod's attention, either PM me, or bold the text you wish to draw to my attention.
- I reserve the right to alter/remove/add any rules as I see fit. You will, of course, be notified if that happens, however.
Last edited by Skygazer on Sat Jul 08, 2023 8:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Skygazer
Skygazer
any
For My Next Guest
Skygazer
any
For My Next Guest
For My Next Guest

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Fri Jul 07, 2023 3:00 am

Post by Skygazer »

Newbie Setup
Newbie Setup

NewD3 (as designed by RadiantCowbells):

ABC
Mafia
Mafia Roleblocker
Mafia Rolecop
Mafia Goon
Row 1
Town Cop and Town Doctor
Town Tracker and Town Friendly Neighbor
Town Cop and Vanilla Townie
Row 2
Town Jailkeeper and Town Tracker
Town Jailkeeper and Town Friendly Neighbor
Town Jailkeeper and Vanilla Townie
Row 3
Town Mason and Town Mason
Town Tracker and Town Doctor
Town Mason and Town Mason

Each Newbie Game will be given a setup that incorporates one mafia role from the top of a column, and then two town roles from a row below the selected mafia role. The remaining six roles will be filled in by
one mafia goon
and
five vanilla townies
appropriately, to create a
2-mafia
and
7-town
setup.

All Newbie games use the Natural Action Resolution system for determining Night action effects.
Mafia Roleblocker
action takes precedence over a
Town Jailkeeper
action should that apply.

Mafia are able to communicate in their Private Topic at all times.

Spoiler: Full Setups
Column A & Row 1:
Mafia Roleblocker, Mafia Goon, Town Cop, Town Doctor, Vanilla Townie x 5
Column A & Row 2:
Mafia Roleblocker, Mafia Goon, Town Jailkeeper, Town Tracker, Vanilla Townie x 5
Column A & Row 3:
Mafia Roleblocker, Mafia Goon, Town Mason x2, Vanilla Townie x 5
Column B & Row 1:
Mafia Rolecop, Mafia Goon, Town Tracker, Town Friendly Neighbor, Vanilla Townie x 5
Column B & Row 2:
Mafia Rolecop, Mafia Goon, Town Jailkeeper, Town Friendly Neighbor, Vanilla Townie x 5
Column B & Row 3:
Mafia Rolecop, Mafia Goon, Town Tracker, Town Doctor, Vanilla Townie x 5
Column C & Row 1:
Mafia Goon x 2, Town Cop, Vanilla Townie x 6
Column C & Row 2:
Mafia Goon x 2, Town Jailkeeper, Vanilla Townie x 6
Column C & Row 3:
Mafia Goon x 2, Town Mason x2, Vanilla Townie x 5

Spoiler: Sample Role PMs
Vanilla TownieWelcome, [Player], to Newbie 2127!

You are a
Vanilla Townie

You have no special abilities.

You win when there are no longer any threats to town.

The game thread is here.

Confirm by replying with your role name and alignment.

Town JailkeeperWelcome, [Player], to Newbie 2127!

You are a
Town Jailkeeper

You may target one player per night phase. This player will be protected from kills and be prevented from using their own action, if they have one, during that night phase. You cannot target yourself.

The game thread is here.

Town CopWelcome, [Player], to Newbie 2127!

You are a
Town Cop

You may target one player per night phase. At the end of the night phase, you will be informed if they are
Town
or
Mafia
. If you are roleblocked, you will receive no result.

The game thread is here.

Town MasonWelcome, [Player], to Newbie 2127!

You are a
Town Mason

You know that [Player] is Town-aligned. You also share a Private Thread (PT), located here, where you may talk at any time.

You have no active abilities.

The game thread is here.

Confirm by replying with your role name and alignment or by posting in your PT.

Town TrackerWelcome, [Player], to Newbie 2127!

You are a
Town Tracker

You may target one player per night phase. At the end of the night phase, you will be informed what player or players they targeted with their action, if any. If you are roleblocked, you will receive no result.

The game thread is here.

Town DoctorWelcome, [Player], to Newbie 2127!

You are a
Town Doctor

You may target one player per night phase. This player will be protected from kills during that night phase. You cannot target yourself.

The game thread is here.

Town Friendly NeighborWelcome, [Player], to Newbie 2127!

You are a
Town Friendly Neighbor

You may target one player per night phase. This player will be sent a message informing them that you are Town-aligned.

The game thread is here.

Mafia GoonWelcome, [Player], to Newbie 2127!

You are a
Mafia Goon

You and your partner, [Player], share a factional kill each night. You must choose which of you will commit the kill. You also share a factional Private Thread (PT), located here, where you may talk at any time.

You win when the Town has been eliminated, or nothing can stop this from occurring.

The game thread is here.

Mafia RolecopWelcome, [Player], to Newbie 2127!

You are a
Mafia Rolecop

You may target one player per night phase. At the end of the night phase, you will be informed of their role but not their alignment.
Vanilla Townies
and
Mafia Goons
will both return "Vanilla". If you are roleblocked, you will receive no result.

You and your partner, [Player], share a factional kill each night. You must choose which of you will commit the kill. You may commit the kill and perform a role cop in the same night phase. You also share a factional Private Thread (PT), located here, where you may talk at any time.

You win when the Town has been eliminated, or nothing can stop this from occurring.

The game thread is here.

Mafia RoleblockerWelcome, [Player], to Newbie 2127!

You are a
Mafia Roleblocker

You may target one player per night. This player will be prevented from performing their own action, if any.

You and your partner, [Player], share a factional kill each night. You must choose which of you will commit the kill. You may commit the kill and perform a roleblock in the same night phase. You also share a factional Private Thread (PT), located here, where you may talk at any time.

The game thread is here.

Skygazer
Skygazer
any
For My Next Guest
Skygazer
any
For My Next Guest
For My Next Guest

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Fri Jul 07, 2023 3:01 am

Post by Skygazer »

Introduction and Tips
Thanks to Irrelephant11 and others for their contributions to these tips.

Here are some helpful links (a lot of them from our helpful wiki):

-> Forum Rules and Guidelines
-> The Glossary
-> Commonly Used Abbreviations
-> The Newbie Guide
-> Articles on How to Play Well (be sure to check the dates these were written/updated, as good advice changes over time)

Key Concepts and Tips

Activity

Try to check in at least once a day.
Besides the activity requirements listed in the moderator's original post, it's just necessary for a fun and healthy game that everyone
plays
. If you post very rarely, or only post a little bit at a time, you may get scumread for lurking. Even if you are not scumread for it, what's the fun in playing a game where multiple people are hardly participating?

Site Meta

Meta is the description of how people on Mafiascum like to play mafia. Things can be different on other online mafia sites, or if you play IRL, so it's good to know what's expected of you on this site. These aren't "rules", per se, but if you don't follow these guidelines it is likely things will go poorly for you on MS. Some examples are...

Random Voting Stage (RVS)

Games on MafiaScum almost always begin with what we call the Random Voting Stage (RVS). At this point in the game, we are in a low information game state (except the mafia, which know everyone’s alignment). As a way to provoke reaction, start a discussion, and try to determine alignment, people will usually vote for non-serious reasons. As the discussion progresses, we will eventually get the game moving and progress out of RVS.

Voting, E-x, and Hammers

E-x is a way to convey how far away a player is away from elimination. For example, you should always announce that you are putting someone at E-1 (1 vote away from an elimination) so that someone doesn’t come along and accidentally vote for that player's elimination. This also prevents Mafia-aligned players from coming along and placing the final vote to eliminate (“hammer”) and claiming ignorance about doing so. You may also see E-2 and E-3 (2 votes away from elimination and 3 votes away from elimination, respectively).

Before you hammer a player, state your intent to hammer (usually done in bold) and ask the player to claim their role. This is done to prevent power roles from being eliminated, and can sometimes get Mafia-aligned players to be caught (via counter claiming). It's best to then allow other players to react and discuss the claim before hammering.

Claiming Your Role

It is almost always best to not claim your role unless you are at E-1 and have been asked to claim as part of an “intent to hammer.” This is because, as a town power role (“PR”), if you out prematurely, you are likely to be night-killed (“NK’d”). As a Vanilla Townie (“VT”), claiming early helps the mafia team narrow down the setup and possible PR candidates. An exception to this would be if a mafia player claimed your role, claiming early to counter the false claim (“CC”) would out the mafia player, and would be a benefit to the town.

Do not fake claim a power role as town!
While it may help you avoid getting eliminated, you might cause a real PR to out themselves by counterclaiming - then the mafia will know who the PR is, and you will probably get eliminated for lying to town. Feel free to fake a claim as scum, though, if you think it would help.

ELo

ELo is the shortened representation of “Eliminate or Lose.” ELo in the Newbie Queue is when there are 3 remaining players, 2 of which are town and 1 is mafia; or when there are 5 remaining players, 3 of which are town and 2 are mafia. It is important in these situations that the town aligned players do not carelessly vote like is done during RVS or early days, as the mafia player(s) can organize and instantly provide the necessary votes to eliminate (“quickhammer”) and win the game.

Conclusion

Mafia is hard!
As town, it can be hard to figure things out, and stressful when people think you're scum.
That's okay!
Just share your thoughts on who you think is scum as they come to you, and don't be afraid to change your mind. As scum, it can be hard to lie convincingly, and stressful when people think you're scum. Don't let that scare you! Try to think of what you would post if you were town, and don't be afraid to "change your mind".

This is a game.
Have fun!
Skygazer
Skygazer
any
For My Next Guest
Skygazer
any
For My Next Guest
For My Next Guest

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Fri Jul 07, 2023 4:16 am

Post by Skygazer »

Apologies for the delay, I'm on vacation and the wifi hasn't been working.

All Role PMs are out! Please confirm within 48 hours.
Skygazer
Skygazer
any
For My Next Guest
Skygazer
any
For My Next Guest
For My Next Guest

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sat Jul 08, 2023 3:05 am

Post by Skygazer »

Vestrea hasn't opened their Role PM yet, but we can go ahead and get this party started!
Skygazer
Skygazer
any
For My Next Guest
Skygazer
any
For My Next Guest
For My Next Guest

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sat Jul 08, 2023 3:09 am

Post by Skygazer »

VC 1.00
Not Voting
(9): Claptastik, ChicagoTypewriter, Bazuf, KatyKimFanClub, Vestrea, HighFlyingDwarf, JasonWazza, Political Clout, DeltaBreedy

With 9 alive, it takes 5 votes to eliminate a player. Day 1 ends in (expired on 2023-07-18 10:15:00).

mod notes: The game has started!
KatyKimFanClub
KatyKimFanClub
he/him
Mafia Scum
KatyKimFanClub
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sat Jul 08, 2023 3:10 am

Post by KatyKimFanClub »

VOTE: Vestrea you know I had to do it to em
HighFlyingDwarf
HighFlyingDwarf
Male
Townie
HighFlyingDwarf
Male
Townie
Townie
Pronoun: Male

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sat Jul 08, 2023 3:31 am

Post by HighFlyingDwarf »

Hello everybody. First game here for a good long while. Think my old account was deleted years ago so made a new one. Haven't played PBP mafia for a while, mostly Town of Salem and stuff like that.

I will be out for most of Tuesday dealing with a medical appointment but aside from that my upcoming calendar is clear.

VOTE: ChicagoTypewriter. Outdated tech. :)
Vestrea
Vestrea
she/her
Townie
Vestrea
she/her
Townie
Townie
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sat Jul 08, 2023 5:06 am

Post by Vestrea »

Hey everyone! I've played some live text Blood on the Clocktower lately with 10 minute days and frantic typing, so I'm looking forward to a slower pace and being able to organize my thoughts better. I'm away for the next weekend, will try to check in right before and right after I get back though.

VOTE: Claptastik prodding everyone in alphabetical order for now
Vestrea
Vestrea
she/her
Townie
Vestrea
she/her
Townie
Townie
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sat Jul 08, 2023 5:08 am

Post by Vestrea »

And by alphabetical order I mean the order the non-voters are listed in, which is not even near alphabetical. Lol
Claptastik
Claptastik
He/Him
Goon
Claptastik
He/Him
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sat Jul 08, 2023 6:14 am

Post by Claptastik »

VOTE: Vestrea

OMGUS or to start a wagon...you decide.

BTW my daughter is getting married tomorrow. Rehearsal dinner is tonight. So I won't be doing much until Monday.
Deltabreedy
Deltabreedy
He/him
Mafia Scum
Deltabreedy
He/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sat Jul 08, 2023 6:55 am

Post by Deltabreedy »

Hi everyone.

I moved house today, lots of cleaning and that tomorrow, plus the British Grand Prix (McLaren fan, so losing my shit) plus a mahoosive MP game of Stellaris so I will not be around much tomorrow, as a warning.

---

Wagons are fun, and I like things that go very fast, so VOTE: Vestrea

All aboard!
E-2
Refer to me as 'Delta' or 'Tom'. Cheers! |
'Black, if you're scum, I'll eat my shoe.'
Never forget

Regular V/LA Wednesday evenings and Thursday all day (UTC+1)
|
GTKAS
Deltabreedy
Deltabreedy
He/him
Mafia Scum
Deltabreedy
He/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Sat Jul 08, 2023 6:57 am

Post by Deltabreedy »

Oh on scheduling, probably worth mentioning (it's in my sig), I'm typically somewhat inactive in the mid-week (Weds/Thurs) with working the opposite end of the country those days.

Still kind of try to post but consider me V/LA for those days.
Never forget

|
GTKAS
HighFlyingDwarf
HighFlyingDwarf
Male
Townie
HighFlyingDwarf
Male
Townie
Townie

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Sat Jul 08, 2023 7:03 am

In post 12, Deltabreedy wrote: the British Grand Prix (McLaren fan, so losing my shit) plus a mahoosive MP game of Stellaris so
Same here with McLaren no matter how frustrating they've been over the past few years. Good drivers. Just the car leaves something to be desired.

Also pushing too many hours on Stellaris and paradox in general.
Skygazer
Skygazer
any
For My Next Guest
Skygazer
any
For My Next Guest
For My Next Guest

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Sat Jul 08, 2023 11:55 am

Post by Skygazer »

VC 1.01
Vestrea
(3): KatyKimFanClub, Claptastik, DeltaBreedy
ChicagoTypewriter
(1): HighFlyingDwarf
Claptastik
(1): Vestrea

Not Voting
(4): ChicagoTypewriter, Bazuf, JasonWazza, Political Clout

With 9 alive, it takes 5 votes to eliminate a player. Day 1 ends in (expired on 2023-07-18 10:15:00).

mod notes: Still vacationing but stay tuned for some whimsical flavor!
Political Clout
Political Clout
Mafia Scum
Political Clout
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Sat Jul 08, 2023 2:07 pm

Post by Political Clout »

VOTE: Vestrea -1
Ya basic!
KatyKimFanClub
KatyKimFanClub
he/him
Mafia Scum
KatyKimFanClub
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Sat Jul 08, 2023 2:12 pm

Post by KatyKimFanClub »

UNVOTE: Vestrea
ChicagoTypewriter
ChicagoTypewriter
CT
Goon
ChicagoTypewriter
CT
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: CT

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Sat Jul 08, 2023 3:11 pm

Post by ChicagoTypewriter »

In post 8, HighFlyingDwarf wrote: VOTE: ChicagoTypewriter. Outdated tech.
Every game, this happens. Every game.
In post 16, Political Clout wrote: VOTE: Vestrea -1
Um, PC, buddy, it's a
little
early for this, don't you think?
Rat-tat-tat-tat...
Deltabreedy
Deltabreedy
He/him
Mafia Scum
Deltabreedy
He/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Sat Jul 08, 2023 7:35 pm

Post by Deltabreedy »

Are you worried about a lolhammer?
Never forget

|
GTKAS
JasonWazza
JasonWazza
Jack of All Trades
JasonWazza
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Sat Jul 08, 2023 7:45 pm

Post by JasonWazza »

VOTE: Vestrea

Back to E-1 you go.
Returning win rate: 4/1, 80%
In the process of creating a game to mod, we will see what it holds.
HighFlyingDwarf
HighFlyingDwarf
Male
Townie
HighFlyingDwarf
Male
Townie
Townie

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:54 pm

UNVOTE: ChicagoTypewriter

Would share Typewriter's sentiment that moving someone to -1 is unnecessary at such an early stage.
In post 19, Deltabreedy wrote: Are you worried about a lolhammer?
Day 1 we're up against the odds voting out scum anyways, but would prefer to get an actual roleclaim from Vestrea if this is a serious wagon. More likely it's just being done to get reactions.
Bazuf
Bazuf
He
Goon
Bazuf
He
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: He

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Sun Jul 09, 2023 12:13 am

Post by Bazuf »

Hey guys.
4th game in this forum...

VOTE: JasonWazza
This guy's dangerous...
STATS
NEWBIE GAMES
Town - P:4 / W:3 / L:1
Mafia - P:0 / W:0 / L:0
JasonWazza
JasonWazza
Jack of All Trades
JasonWazza
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Sun Jul 09, 2023 12:28 am

Post by JasonWazza »

You only say that because you have only seen scum game Bazuf.
Returning win rate: 4/1, 80%
In the process of creating a game to mod, we will see what it holds.
Claptastik
Claptastik
He/Him
Goon
Claptastik
He/Him
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Sun Jul 09, 2023 2:51 am

Post by Claptastik »

In post 22, Bazuf wrote: Hey guys.