Newbie 1521: Game of Death(OVER)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Kiboat
Kiboat
Townie
Kiboat
Townie
Townie

Post Post #8 (isolation #0) » Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:47 am

Post by Kiboat »

I'll be another resident newbie, and I'm very excited to finally take part in one of these. I have played a few small games of Mafia in real life but this should be on a completely different scale. Not completely sure what else there is to say in my first post, so I'll just say that my hobbies include reading and taking long walks. Here's to the start of a good game.

Vote:Bitmap
because I have to vote for somebody and since I generally misread them and end up horribly lost, I find maps in general to be incredibly suspicious.
Kiboat
Kiboat
Townie
Kiboat
Townie
Townie

Post Post #10 (isolation #1) » Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:43 am

Post by Kiboat »

In post 9, goodmorning wrote:Ooooh, reading. Read anything good recently?

Sadly not. I picked up a really interesting book about personality typing last month but haven't made much progress with it, since an unfruitful job search and my getting addicted to television shows has been keeping me pretty distracted lately. Couple of my friends have been on my case about trying Breaking Bad for a while now, you see. Very enjoyable show, but it sucks up a lot of free time. Maybe I'll try to get back into the book this afternoon.
Kiboat
Kiboat
Townie
Kiboat
Townie
Townie

Post Post #15 (isolation #2) » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:04 am

Post by Kiboat »

In post 13, Bitmap wrote:My hobbies include MMORPGS like TERA and
Final Fantasy XIV

I must've seen a thousand ads for this while visiting this one website last year.

In post 14, Riabi wrote:I typically read a good bit, best book recently was "Skin Game" by Jim Butcher. It's the most recent book in the "Dresden Files" series. If you've not read that series, I HIGHLY recommend it.

Ooh, I need to get around to these too. I read the first one a looong time ago and enjoyed it quite a lot :]

In post 11, goodmorning wrote:Any thoughts on Riabi, since you seem to be around?

Nothing really threw up any major red flags. I suppose there is how they worded their vote, specifically how it seemed to be calling Rex out to challenge it, but it might just be their style of trying to invite them into the discussion or some such. A little odd, maybe, but I'm not sure if there's anything to make of it.

Is this what you caught onto earlier, or is there something else?
Kiboat
Kiboat
Townie
Kiboat
Townie
Townie

Post Post #21 (isolation #3) » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:31 am

Post by Kiboat »

In post 17, TyrannicalTRex wrote:Hi everybody! This is my first game so we'll see how it goes.

You're in good company, fellow newbie. I've never met a tyrant I disliked before.

In post 19, goodmorning wrote:
It's sort of that, sort of something else.

Seeing as how nobody else seems to share your feelings about Riabi's post, would you mind elaborating on what else bothered you? I just want to know where you're coming from.
Kiboat
Kiboat
Townie
Kiboat
Townie
Townie

Post Post #26 (isolation #4) » Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:31 am

Post by Kiboat »

In post 23, Bitmap wrote:Mmmm probably jumping a gun on the goodmorning case but it just reminds me of my scum play. I'll probably switch once a better wagon gets rolling.

From what I've seen of her play (which isn't much), this behavior isn't necessarily unusual for her. I coincidentally happened to read through sections of her most recent game because a friend of mine and a fellow newbie was another one of the participants, and this post here by RubikAshtray accuses her of the same thing you're finding fishy here. goodmorning ended up being town in that game as well. Not saying this puts her in the clear, and I really would like to hear her explanation about Riabi, but I just thought I'd mention it since it was relatively fresh in mind.
Kiboat
Kiboat
Townie
Kiboat
Townie
Townie

Post Post #39 (isolation #5) » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:27 pm

Post by Kiboat »

In post 29, Bitmap wrote:That happened late game. Look at the first two pages of the game you linked.

Fair enough. I thought it was relevant because the post in question alluded to her behavior in earlier rounds, but I see what you mean. I skimmed the first couple pages of the game, but nothing really stood out to me. Was there something there that you wanted to call attention to, or were you just pointing out how that's where I really should've been looking?

In post 27, Espressojet wrote: If anything I'd say that since he said "if you want me to change my vote, it's up to you to convince me you aren't scum"

Since RVS votes aren't meant to be solid scum accusations, and throwing out a solid scum accusation from the start is, in itself, very scummy.

But he's a total newb, so it's easy to see his intentions are clear, and that he's explaining what an RVS vote is to somebody who may or may not already know, just so they don't freak out. Seemed like a nice gesture to me.

I can buy this explanation.

In post 30, TyrannicalTRex wrote:I'm starting to realise I should put my super sarcastic nature in check in order to not be mistaken for being scummy...

No worries, but I would like to hear what you're thinking about what's been happening so far.

In post 37, Starling wrote:Nearly had a heart attack when I got the pm that I'd been plucked out of the queue... I misread and at first thought I'd missed three days of a game. Looks like I only missed 12 hours or so, which is a lot less terrible of me.

I've actually been lurking on this site for over a year. Only got the courage to sign up and play after finally playing Mafia in person and having an awful time. (Not only was there zero thought put into anything-- "Starling looks suspicious! Let's lynch her!"-- but everyone decided it was "more fun" to play without anyone flipping after death, which basically guaranteed mafia to win every time.)

Now to reread and see if I can find anything worth noting. (Haven't on the first two reads through...)

Glad to have you aboard, and here's hoping for a much better experience this time around. If you've done that reread, did anything stand out to you in particular?
Kiboat
Kiboat
Townie
Kiboat
Townie
Townie

Post Post #55 (isolation #6) » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:14 am

Post by Kiboat »

Argh, the forum ate my post.

I dislike the wagon on Rex, currently. As of now he is two votes from being lynched, and no reason has been offered for why. We may or may not still be in RVS, but it still feels incredibly pointless and strange. Close to all discussion of Rex's behavior has come from Starling and goodmorning, people who didn't vote for him in the first place.

I have a few questions for Nuff, since I don't really like their combination of general silence and moving Rex fairly close to being lynched. So Nuff, when you're available, is there anything about Rex that strikes you as unusual or that would merit his being at L-2? And is there anything else in this thread that you think is suspicious or worth discussing?
Kiboat
Kiboat
Townie
Kiboat
Townie
Townie

Post Post #99 (isolation #7) » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:31 pm

Post by Kiboat »

In post 86, Bitmap wrote:In that game, the opening felt way different. She didn't really point out mistakes but instead just went with what was going on. At this point, it's just minor OCD stuff that I'm just seeing.

Ah, I see. Thank you for clarifying, and I’ll keep this in mind.
In post 86, Bitmap wrote: People usually formulate early wagons to L-1 in order to gather reactions from players. It's pretty normal.

Oh, alright. I wasn’t aware, but I guess this makes sense. Doesn’t seem to be what’s taken place here, but thank you for filling me in.
In post 87, Bitmap wrote:
VOTE: Nuff

I’m assuming from this that you weren’t satisfied with their explanation. What triggered a red flag for you in the post you quoted?
In post 88, NicCage wrote:I feel like I should do something
I'll be useful tonight

I’ll be looking forward to hearing from you.

With regards to goodmorning, I’m on the fence. It was established earlier that if this behavior of hers is an attempt to cast suspicion elsewhere and direct others without offering reasoning until later, it’s incredibly ineffective. In fact, it just comes off as sneaky or unusual.

However, since it can be explained otherwise and she is able to provide examples of her behaving this way in the past, that lends me to thinking that she’s just trying to be a good IC and encourage participation and analysis. Even though she doesn’t seem like the type to back down from a course of action that she’s seen fit to take without good reason, I’m not understanding what this is supposed to accomplish for her if she is scum.

That said though, goodmorning, since a SE has now chipped in and another has promised to later tonight, is there anything you’d like to elaborate on regarding the exchange between Riabi and Nuff earlier on? Or anything in the most recent page? This habit of calling attention to something and not explaining why doesn’t seem to helping the discussion.
Kiboat
Kiboat
Townie
Kiboat
Townie
Townie

Post Post #121 (isolation #8) » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:25 am

Post by Kiboat »

In post 118, Bitmap wrote:Will re-read but mostly waiting for GM and Nic's post.

Would you mind elaborating on why you voted for Nuff?

In post 120, NicCage wrote:Bitmap worries me a bit.

For any reason in particular?
Kiboat
Kiboat
Townie
Kiboat
Townie
Townie

Post Post #158 (isolation #9) » Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:53 pm

Post by Kiboat »

Sorry, I was planning on waiting for GM to post before trying to make sense of things. I was planning on posting sometime tonight, but ended up cutting it too close. Shouldn't happen again, and I'm sorry for being too lurky.

I've been waiting to do this until I have a more concrete suspicion, but I'll be taking my vote off Bitmap. He's been asking some good questions and has been open with his opinions on most everyone. I don't see the point in leaving my random RVS vote on him, in light of what has seemed to be fairly townish behavior.

UNVOTE:

Currently slightly suspicious of Nuff because of the reasons NicCage and Starling mentioned, but I want to hear more from goodmorning before laying down a vote. She's somewhat suspicious too, but her unresponsiveness hasn't really given me anything more to read into.
Kiboat
Kiboat
Townie
Kiboat
Townie
Townie

Post Post #188 (isolation #10) » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:08 pm

Post by Kiboat »

In post 179, Bitmap wrote:I don't think he was. I think it was a series of actions led by Nuff's original unvote which led to a series of events to where no one mentions Trex anymore. I think everyone who unvoted on that wagon have a fair share of being scummy.

Fair point, and the unvotes are worth discussing. Still though, I think the reason nobody mentions Rex anymore is because there wasn't really any reason to hone in on his behavior in the first place. At least, none was offered. Skimming his posts in the thread thus far, there's nothing that I'm really getting a read on either. Your suspicion of Rex seems to be largely because of how he's been treated by others. I'm open to the possibility of his being scum, but if the unvotes strike you as scummy, it seems like it'd be more worthwhile to talk about those than to take a shot in the dark and just assume someone's covering up for Rex. I have a few questions that I hope you'll answer.

What do you think of GM's post on Riabi? You've said that you find the disappearance of Rex's wagon strange, but you've also said that you're reading Nuff and Riabi as town. Is that still the case?

In post 186, goodmorning wrote:
I gotta say though, Nuff, you seem to really be banging on this drum hard. No one else seems to think what I did was all that suspicious. I'm beginning to really regret pulling my vote off of you...

This "I'm warning you" passive-aggressive stuff doesn't sit well with me.

Now that you mention it, I'm not the biggest fan of this either. I can see why they'd be frustrated at having to keep explaining their behavior, but nobody else sharing a suspicion doesn't invalidate the suspicion, and I think there are better ways to say that you think somebody's acting scummy. Not unexplainable or inconsistent with their past behavior, but still a tad bizarrish.

Riabi, anything to say about goodmorning's read of your posts? And do you still find Nuff suspicious?
Kiboat
Kiboat
Townie
Kiboat
Townie
Townie

Post Post #204 (isolation #11) » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:23 am

Post by Kiboat »

In post 201, Espressojet wrote:
I wanted to see what would happen.

UNVOTE:

And did that vote help you get a better read on anything?
Kiboat
Kiboat
Townie
Kiboat
Townie
Townie

Post Post #233 (isolation #12) » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:06 pm

Post by Kiboat »

I just skimmed through the thread again, and my strongest Townreads are Bitmap, Cage and Starling. All of them have been willing to provide reasoning for their actions, have shown interest in gathering opinions from others, and have answered questions asked of them. While I didn't like Riabi's tone in the line I quoted in the last post, I accept his explanation for his vote jumping earlier on in the thread, and besides that, I'm having trouble honing in on anything scummy from his end. He looked fairly clean on the reread. While Rex has been lurky at points of the game, he's been open about his reads both for town and for scum. He's prodded people and asked questions, I like.

My two biggest suspicions currently are Espresso and goodmorning, and I can't decide the order. With goodmorning, her busyness aside, I'm not liking the lack of explanation at times. She's done some things I've liked, sharing original thoughts, analyzing posts, but there're still comments like this that never get followed up on.

In post 103, goodmorning wrote:
bitmap excess focus odd

I understand her wanting everyone to think for themselves, but stuff like this just isn't helpful. To her credit, she's been doing better recently when time's allowed, but I'm still somewhat uneasy overall.

When it comes to Espresso, I'm just having trouble reading them at all. There's hanging around, waiting for posts from gm, but then not responding to anything she posted. There's looking to gather opinions, a vote for Bitmap, but still no explanation as to whether they've gathered anything. I don't know what they're thinking at all, currently. Like Starling said, I'm unsure if they'd be acting this way if they were scum, but I don't know whether to dismiss it either. Espresso, I'd like to hear your reads and thoughts on what's been happening.

The same goes for you, Nuff. I'm getting a pretty playful vibe from you, which is cool, but it confuses me. What do you think of recent events, and is your main suspicion still Riabi?
Kiboat
Kiboat
Townie
Kiboat
Townie
Townie

Post Post #299 (isolation #13) » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:40 am

Post by Kiboat »

In post 296, Riabi wrote:How is what I'm doing hypocritical? Yeah, Nic mentioned me before he died, I never said otherwise, but, if you look at his post/vote history, it's pretty clear you were his main target of suspicion.

From this

In post 220, NicCage wrote:I revoted Nuff because no one expressed interest in espresso
VOTE: espresso
Nuff if you want to live you'll vote espresso

Unless he was only trying to see how Nuff would respond (quite possible), it felt more like he was only honing in on Nuff to make something happen and force people to react to a rapidly-growing wagon. His rapid flip to espresso would indicate that he was much more interested in making progress and getting something done before the day ended. Not that this absolves Nuff of suspicion, but I'm unsure if examining Nic's Nuff wagon will accomplish much. Is there anything in particular about it that you think is worth revisiting?
Kiboat
Kiboat
Townie
Kiboat
Townie
Townie

Post Post #333 (isolation #14) » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:13 am

Post by Kiboat »

Nuff wrote:That was just a random though, but I kind of really want to know why Bitmap went from having an FOS on me and Riabi during Twilight of Day 1, to saying we're probably 90% town and focusing GM early Day 2.

Pretty sure this was Bitmap's explanation

In post 305, Bitmap wrote:Actually, imo, Riabi and Nuff are probably town. I'm 90% sure of it. I know NicCage is going to go apeshit when I say this but I really don't think those two are scum. After knowing that NicCage was really town, it led me to realize something. If you thought about it, the lynch pool yesterday was only going to be goodmorning, Riabi, and Nuff (and espresso after Nic chimed in but I'm looking at before that). There was a good chance that goodmorning was never even going to be lynched because of her IC status. goodmorning knew this so she realized she could just cruise by pointing out things wrong with Riabi and Nuff and saying "Ok, these two are messing up, figure out why" which brought our attention towards those two instead of goodmorning.

Which I can sort of follow, but I’m unsure of why his suspicion of the two of you vanished so quickly. Suppose it’d be best for Bitmap to explain in full, but I suppose he decided that your actions towards the end of the Espresso lynch could be explained solely by being inexperienced or some such. Then again, he never went into detail about why he had those FOS’s in the first place.

In post 303, Bitmap wrote:
Also, this would make Starling a probable partner.

Why so?

goodmorning wrote:
So that'll be my next post.

I await it eagerly
Kiboat
Kiboat
Townie
Kiboat
Townie
Townie

Post Post #360 (isolation #15) » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:55 am

Post by Kiboat »

Welcome back Starling

In post 353, Starling wrote:
I really really did not like Riabi's hammer, but he's been looking better today.

In post 358, Nuff wrote:You on the other hand, you're still scum in my book.

You two seem to be at odds here. Would you mind explaining why your suspicions of Riabi have lessened/remained the same?
Kiboat
Kiboat
Townie
Kiboat
Townie
Townie

Post Post #361 (isolation #16) » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:06 am

Post by Kiboat »

In post 359, Riabi wrote:You scumslipped and made a post that makes you look scummy whether bitmap flips scum or town. Whether or not I buy your claim that you were being sarcastic is crucial, in my mind, to which of the two scenarios I described I'm going to believe.

I'm much more inclined to think Nuff was trying to be humorous than to think he accidentally outed himself, or anything like that. It's in line with his earlier behavior when his wagon was going, which I didn't necessarily see as scummy. Not super helpful, but not damning.

Bitmap wrote:
Kill 2 birds with one stone. If GM flips scum (which I'm pretty sure right now), it would give more reasons for me to believe that Nuff and Riabi are town. Starling could be a probable partner because they've barely interacted with each other and both have the same playstyle right now.

I can see where you're coming from with Nuff and Riabi. Not sure about the Starling thing, but I'll keep it in mind if goodmorning ends up being scum.

Still planning on making that post, gm?
Kiboat
Kiboat
Townie
Kiboat
Townie
Townie

Post Post #375 (isolation #17) » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:48 am

Post by Kiboat »

In post 364, Starling wrote:What seems townish about Riabi to me is that he is simultaneously pursuing scum suspicions on two people, but without setting them up as possible partners. That looks to me like he's really trying to figure things out. (Which scum, naturally, do not have to do.)

Thanks for the explanation, and I think I can see this in their posts as well. Starting to lean towards Riabi for town for the time being.

In post 366, DoctorPepper wrote:
Mod notes:
I am currently enrolling in college, please bear with me

Ah, loads of fun :?. Good luck, Doctor.

In post 374, Starling wrote:Hey, Kiboat, I just noticed that you haven't put a vote down yet this game. (Aside from your RVS vote.) Why is that?

To be completely honest, I'm very prone to second-guessing myself. If there's something that I think is unusual or want clarification on, I'm more likely to just ask a question and forego throwing down a vote until I feel I have a better understanding of what's going on. I know voting is a good tool for getting reactions out of people as well, and I was planning on placing Espresso at L-1 if Nuff hadn't done it first, but I feel a good deal of skittishness about voting that will hopefully disappear as I play more. I'm currently hoping that goodmorning's promised post will help me get a better read on her and Bitmap. In the meantime, I'm very sorry for being so waffly and I will be trying to do better.
Kiboat
Kiboat
Townie
Kiboat
Townie
Townie

Post Post #376 (isolation #18) » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:04 am

Post by Kiboat »

I should also say that from Friday evening to sometime on Friday next week, my family and I will be going on vacation.
I'll be bringing my phone to try to keep up with the game and I might try to use a computer at the local library as well, but I'll probably be slow to respond to things during that window of time.
Kiboat
Kiboat
Townie
Kiboat
Townie
Townie

Post Post #378 (isolation #19) » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:06 pm

Post by Kiboat »

In post 377, TyrannicalTRex wrote:So does that mean your stronger scum lean is still GM?

For now, the only hunch I have is that at least one of those two isn't scum. goodmorning is, however, the more difficult of the two for me to understand, which is why I want to see the analysis she promised to give about Nuff and Bitmap's play towards the end of day one. I've generally been reading Nuff as town lately so I'd like to see if there's anything I've overlooked there. And if her reasoning seems construed or unusual, that will lend more credibility to the suspicion that's been on her for a while now.
Kiboat
Kiboat
Townie
Kiboat
Townie
Townie

Post Post #388 (isolation #20) » Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:16 am

Post by Kiboat »

Leaving now for the trip I mentioned earlier.

In post 382, goodmorning wrote:
Now, the attempted casting of suspicion on what was pretty much a DLH is mildly sketch.

What's a DLH? And how was that an attempt to cast suspicion? To me, it seems much more like an offhand response to a meaningful event than anything.
Kiboat
Kiboat
Townie
Kiboat
Townie
Townie

Post Post #403 (isolation #21) » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:10 pm

Post by Kiboat »

Optimistically, I should have access to a computer sometime tomorrow and will try to post then. Don't feel like I can do much from a phone.
Kiboat
Kiboat
Townie
Kiboat
Townie
Townie

Post Post #409 (isolation #22) » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:45 am

Post by Kiboat »

In post 406, Riabi wrote:This game is quiet, I don't like that. So, let me try this. Am I the only one still suspicious of nuff? In addition to his suspicious early game which has been discussed some, he's now tried to back-pedal twice on something he's said by claiming he was joking.

But, other than bitmap's blind FOS and him and me, there's not been a lot of talk of nuff.. does that mean I'm alone in my suspicion? (Other than bitmap, of course, but I'm not sure he counts as he's pretty scummy).

In post 407, Starling wrote:I still think Nuff is scummy, but the experienced people seem to think not. Then I get stuck on the idea that if Nuff is scum, only one of them can be.

I don't know quite what to make of the pattern, but I'm willing to believe Nuff is a playful person to a point. Doesn't mean I'm willing to write off everything that might seem scummy as just him trying to inject some levity into the game, but I've come to accept that just as his style of play. Or more accurately, just the kind of person he is.

Looking at it another way, what purpose would Nuff's posts that you're speaking of serve if they weren't meant to be jokes?
Kiboat
Kiboat
Townie
Kiboat
Townie
Townie

Post Post #476 (isolation #23) » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:18 pm

Post by Kiboat »

I'm back

Sorry to see that Bitmap's left us, but new blood is cool too. I'll try to catch up on everything I've missed and post later tonight.
Kiboat
Kiboat
Townie
Kiboat
Townie
Townie

Post Post #478 (isolation #24) » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:51 pm

Post by Kiboat »

In post 436, Nuff wrote:
In post 431, Riabi wrote:
In post 430, Nuff wrote:I sense a lover's quarrel at hand! NOW this game is getting interesting. You should stay Bitmap.

You've posted a lot in the last few days, but, you've not actually contributed much to the conversation/game. Do you have anything useful to say/add?

Not much else aside from what I've already said. I'm just cruising. I'll jump on a Riabi lynch wagon though. Wait is there one already? Lost track.

Can you explain again why you suspect Riabi, if you haven't already? I was beginning to read him more as town before leaving for the trip, but I wouldn't mind hearing from somebody who's been more involved with the game.

In post 423, goodmorning wrote:
I'd be far more likely to go {you, Riabi, TRex} in some order.

You said notscience is seeming townish to you. I'm inclined to agree, for the time being, though I don't have the experience with him that you do. Does this mean Riabi's jumped to the head of your list? What do you think of his recent posts?

TRex in particular is starting to remind me of saturnine in N1493

And can you please translate this into noob :oops: ?
Kiboat
Kiboat
Townie
Kiboat
Townie
Townie

Post Post #479 (isolation #25) » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:52 pm

Post by Kiboat »

In post 477, notscience wrote:I'm not cool

I'm hot

And yes you are :wink:
Kiboat
Kiboat
Townie
Kiboat
Townie
Townie

Post Post #492 (isolation #26) » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:08 pm

Post by Kiboat »

In post 481, goodmorning wrote:
When I said he was looking like saturnine: she started off that game as a universal townread D1. Then she started posting less and less as the game went on. She was trying to ride the townread and not say anything that would change anyone's mind. She was Scum.

Effort is not indicative of alignment? Or does that not apply in Rex's case for some reason? My read on him is null for the time being, though he should be getting back from vacation shortly, so that'll be nice.

I just feel like I need something else to go on.
Kiboat
Kiboat
Townie
Kiboat
Townie
Townie

Post Post #507 (isolation #27) » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:57 am

Post by Kiboat »

Yikes, didn't realize how close we were to the deadline :eek:. I'm assuming this is the part where Riabi should claim, or something? I'll be rereading the past several pages.
Kiboat
Kiboat
Townie
Kiboat
Townie
Townie

Post Post #515 (isolation #28) » Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:52 pm

Post by Kiboat »

In post 512, goodmorning wrote:
In post 508, Starling wrote:Ick, I don't like where this is going.

I don't know how I feel about this post.

Why?

notscience wrote:
In post 505, TyrannicalTRex wrote:Just so no one "accidentally" hammers Riabi I just want to point out that by my calculations he is
L-1

Niether of these two are

good

Did you mean to quote another post too?
Kiboat
Kiboat
Townie
Kiboat
Townie
Townie

Post Post #521 (isolation #29) » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:43 pm

Post by Kiboat »

Well, deadline looms. Enough’s enough. I’ve thought that some of Riabi’s behavior has been dodgy, generally with regards to his determination in going after Nuff (though I know he wasn’t alone in some of those concerns). As with everything else, I’ve been all too willing to be a devil’s advocate and just go back and forth with myself until I don’t do anything at all. That’s something that needs to change and is definitely holding me back from becoming a better player. Seeing as how no other lynches seem to be viable or likely to become that way within the next three/four hours, it’s time to take the plunge.

Vote: Riabi
Kiboat
Kiboat
Townie
Kiboat
Townie
Townie

Post Post #533 (isolation #30) » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:23 am

Post by Kiboat »

Damn, so much for taking the plunge >_>

TyrannicalTRex wrote:Seriously, ISO him. There's not much there. No leading, no independent ideas that clash with the norm. I'm pretty sure that counts as coasting. As GM is the IC one can assume that if she was town she would've noticed that and not defended him on it.

I'll review Nuff's posting history later. I was willing to write off some of his posts before, but it doesn't make sense to cling to my past assumptions now that Riabi's ended up being town.
Kiboat
Kiboat
Townie
Kiboat
Townie
Townie

Post Post #538 (isolation #31) » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:41 pm

Post by Kiboat »

Sorry for inactivity, some relatives made a surprise visit and kind of threw my schedule to the wind. I'll try and add something later tonight before sleep.
Kiboat
Kiboat
Townie
Kiboat
Townie
Townie

Post Post #543 (isolation #32) » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:55 pm

Post by Kiboat »

Whew, I'm sorry again. Relatives are gone now.

goodmorning wrote:So the main question today is Nuff vs TRex, right?

@Kiboat, Starling: Which of Nuff and TRex would you rather lynch and why (or why not if you'd rather not lynch one specifically)?

I'll review their posting histories and post shortly.
Kiboat
Kiboat
Townie
Kiboat
Townie
Townie

Post Post #544 (isolation #33) » Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:43 pm

Post by Kiboat »

On review, I'm... still not feeling very confident in suspecting either of them. From a more objective standpoint (I don't know if that's the right word to use) I feel like there's more to look into with Nuff. His demeanor when faced with suspicion, some of his jokes that it may or may not be productive to read into, etc. The problem is that at the time my gut told me that those replies were just Nuff being himself and weren't a part of some scummy agenda, and I still feel that way even if I understand perfectly well why some of you might think it's reason to hone in on him. If I were to suddenly start going after him now, I feel like it'd be more out of desperation to find some kind of direction to pursue in this scumhunt than because I'd truly changed my mind.

As for Rex, he's coming off more town than anything on reread. It feels like he's been fairly open and willing to share his reads and the reasoning behind them when he's been here, and nothing scummy really leaps out at me. I'm going to need a fairly convincing case if somebody wants to start wagoning him. Weren't you going to make one of those, gm?
Kiboat
Kiboat
Townie
Kiboat
Townie
Townie

Post Post #545 (isolation #34) » Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:54 pm

Post by Kiboat »

In post 531, TyrannicalTRex wrote:Ok. So time for a big opinion post! I believe that the scum team is
GM and Nuff
and here is the long explanation to why:

Spoiler: My Reasoning
In post 322, Nuff wrote:
In post 316, goodmorning wrote:
Also: UNVOTE: Good Morning

In post 324, Nuff wrote:
Also, GM you defended yourself pretty hard there which was why I unvoted, but how come you scumread Riabi, but didn't change your vote to him Day 1?

Here Nuff had voted GM during Bitmap's attempt to convince everyone that she is scum but he shortly later removed his vote which makes it seem like he saw an opportunity to LOOK like he was suspicious of GM but then remove his vote. There is also the part where he unvotes without any reasoning and then a few hours later adds reasoning without anyone bringing it up. That looks to me like GM told him to in mafia chat because she saw that it looked suspicious and wanted to cover it up better.

In post 346, Nuff wrote:I promise I will do as your ultimatum states if you get lynched today.

Cross my heart.

Here again Nuff attempts to LOOK like he is putting himself against GM while it really has no negative impact on GM. GM goes even further as to expand it and say that Nuff is "happy to lynch her" .

In post 422, Starling wrote:GM: So who are you seeing as scummy now? Both Riabi and Nuff, I gather. Are you saying Bitmap is scummy or just wrong?

As above, Bitmap, Riabi, TRex.
TRex in particular is starting to remind me of saturnine in N1493.
Bitmap is scummy. I don't like the tunneling, the inconsistencies, the pushiness.
Riabi... well, I've been there.

Here GM no longer "suspects" Nuff as now it is getting closer to deadlines and it would be risky to continue to "suspect" him. (Note the quotation marks)

In post 439, goodmorning wrote:Ok, the thing about saying Nuff is coasting... we're all coasting, kinda. The game is a bit dead, there're only 3 of us currently active and there's nothing really new to say. I'd quite like to see some fresh blood in here, to be honest.
And here is GM defending Nuff for something that Nuff was really doing all game. Seriously, ISO him. There's not much there. No leading, no independent ideas that clash with the norm. I'm pretty sure that counts as coasting. As GM is the IC one can assume that if she was town she would've noticed that and not defended him on it.

My reasoning for the GM/Nuff scum team is also that from Starling and Kiboats posts I really believe that they are both town. Therefore GM and Nuff must be the mafia.

Some of this makes sense, but I'm not sure how productive it is to try and pick out mafia teams. It feels like starting with an assumption and then interpreting past actions in light of that assumption, rather than letting the actions create the suspicion in the first place. I know there's probably plenty of ways to make a case on either GM or Nuff at this point, but I feel like those cases have to stand on their own feet and not hinge on them being a team, if that makes any sense. I feel like I'm babbling here :oops:

In post 531, TyrannicalTRex wrote:
Spoiler: Also a raccoon because they are awesome and definitely feel the same way

this raccoon is very persuasive though
Kiboat
Kiboat
Townie
Kiboat
Townie
Townie

Post Post #559 (isolation #35) » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:43 pm

Post by Kiboat »

In post 553, goodmorning wrote:Sentence 1: Not at all productive during the bulk of the game. However, some exceptions tend to be made for LyLo.

I'll keep this in mind then, thanks.

Nuff wrote:
Would like to see that as well. Also, TRex, in the beginning of the game (your first couple posts) you were playing a bit more jokingly (which is great in my book), but you made an odd post bringing it up http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.ph ... 9#p6031429. After which you've been nothing but srs bsns. :roll:

I don't know about that. He's still been posting pictures of animals and stuff like that, and it feels more to me like he's trying to have fun while trying to get stuff done.
Kiboat
Kiboat
Townie
Kiboat
Townie
Townie

Post Post #560 (isolation #36) » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:24 pm

Post by Kiboat »

gm, is there some kind of strategy to voting in lylo besides "very carefully" ? I was reading through another game and someone mentioned crossvoting, but I can't seem to find anything explaining what that means.
Kiboat
Kiboat
Townie
Kiboat
Townie
Townie

Post Post #577 (isolation #37) » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:40 pm

Post by Kiboat »

Thanks for explaining about the crossvoting thing, everyone.

Not sure if it qualifies as a scumread, since I'm not very confident that he's scum, but I'd feel better about lynching Nuff than anybody else for the time being. I'd like to hear Starling's reads though, since she's been absent for this day and I want to get a better fix on her and what she's thinking.
Kiboat
Kiboat
Townie
Kiboat
Townie
Townie

Post Post #582 (isolation #38) » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:01 pm

Post by Kiboat »

In post 581, goodmorning wrote:
Of course it's you.

Please explain
Kiboat
Kiboat
Townie
Kiboat
Townie
Townie

Post Post #595 (isolation #39) » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:34 pm

Post by Kiboat »

I'll be V/LA from Saturday morning to sometime on Monday.
My cousin is getting married and my family and I have to head over to the eastern part of the state for a few days. I'll be bringing my laptop, but I'm not sure if the hotel I'm staying at will offer internet or not. Probably won't be terribly active even if it does. Wish I didn't have to leave during such an important stage of the game, but my cousin doesn't plan his big life-changing events around my internet games. The nerve :cry:

Not sure what to make of Nuff's most recent post.
Kiboat
Kiboat
Townie
Kiboat
Townie
Townie

Post Post #613 (isolation #40) » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:34 pm

Post by Kiboat »

I'm back.

Doesn't seem like I've missed much of consequence, but I'll read and post shortly.
Kiboat
Kiboat
Townie
Kiboat
Townie
Townie

Post Post #614 (isolation #41) » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:13 pm

Post by Kiboat »

In post 602, Jingle wrote:I'll self hammer if it comes down to it. Does anyone have specific questions?

FOS: Jingle

you think you can just walk into our game and pretend you're town

The thing that confuses me most about Nuff's post earlier is that I don't understand why it was made at all. The distribution of roles really doesn't have any bearing on our situation right now, and won't really affect things unless someone claims. Like Starling said earlier though, it could mean so many things that I'm hesitant to spend a huge amount of time analyzing it, with a deadline looming and all.

goodmorning, I know you're probably busy, but we're running out of time here. If you have a case to make, it doesn't help anybody to keep it to yourself.
Kiboat
Kiboat
Townie
Kiboat
Townie
Townie

Post Post #623 (isolation #42) » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:19 pm

Post by Kiboat »

In post 621, Starling wrote:Finally I have nothing to do tonight... Will finish reread. (I think I can, I think I can, I think I can...)

Has your suspicion of Nuff lessened because of his confusing post? He seems to think so.
Kiboat
Kiboat
Townie
Kiboat
Townie
Townie

Post Post #626 (isolation #43) » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:51 pm

Post by Kiboat »

In post 625, goodmorning wrote:I'm getting this strange feeling that I can't get TRex lynched today.

Likely not, though you may as well post what you've written.

Who would you lynch, otherwise?
Kiboat
Kiboat
Townie
Kiboat
Townie
Townie

Post Post #628 (isolation #44) » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:30 pm

Post by Kiboat »

In post 627, Starling wrote:Trying to decide whether I am more likely to do good here by staying up now or by getting up in the morning.

Do you have a preference when it comes to GM or Nuff? They seem like the most likely lynches, at this point.
Kiboat
Kiboat
Townie
Kiboat
Townie
Townie

Post Post #631 (isolation #45) » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:16 pm

Post by Kiboat »

Backs to the wall. Nuff today and probably goodmorning tomorrow sounds good to me.

I've just realized that I have a doctor's appointment early in the morning, so won't be available for the last couple hours before the deadline. Because of this, I'm going to leave my vote out and hope for the best. Game's in your guys' hands now.

Vote: Nuff
Kiboat
Kiboat
Townie
Kiboat
Townie
Townie

Post Post #646 (isolation #46) » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:09 am

Post by Kiboat »

Ah, seems it's over. Good game all. There's a lot I'd have done differently, but I guess that's why we ease into things with noob games in the first place. Thanks for modding, Doc :]
Kiboat
Kiboat
Townie
Kiboat
Townie
Townie

Post Post #651 (isolation #47) » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:20 am

Post by Kiboat »

In post 531, TyrannicalTRex wrote:There is also the part where he unvotes without any reasoning and then a few hours later adds reasoning without anyone bringing it up. That looks to me like GM told him to in mafia chat because she saw that it looked suspicious and wanted to cover it up better.

For future reference, I don't think this is possible in newbie games. It might be in some, but Doc locked our thread during the day phases.

goodmorning wrote:Oh, if anyone wants me to say IC stuff to them or evaluate or whatever, ask me after Mod posts the final lynch scene and I will.

Feedback would be sweet, if it wouldn't be a bother.
Kiboat
Kiboat
Townie
Kiboat
Townie
Townie

Post Post #660 (isolation #48) » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:36 pm

Post by Kiboat »

In post 654, Bitmap wrote:Overall, well done by scum team. I replaced out because I started being too aggressive.

Wish you'd stuck around, but I respect you for making that decision. You made things pretty fun and kept me on my toes, and I'd love to play with you again sometime.

Starling wrote:Also my fear of putting votes down. I gotta get over that phobia.

You and me both. From what I could tell, it seemed like you and I were playing the game pretty similarly, alignment aside. I felt early on that I was being a bit too passive and just letting others direct the game. And then later on, I didn't want to suddenly try leading a lynch out of fear of losing the trust that people had in me, and I didn't really feel confident enough in my ability to persuade people. Gotta work on that.

Overall Starling, you've got a good head on your shoulders. I think you just need to trust yourself and try making things happen.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”