Newbie 1521: Game of Death(OVER)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
DoctorPepper
DoctorPepper
Coca-Cola
DoctorPepper
Coca-Cola
Coca-Cola

Newbie 1521: Game of Death(OVER)

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:06 pm

Post by DoctorPepper »

Welcome to Newbie 1521!
This game is in Day 3.

Playerlist:

* denotes a prod
bolded
indicates confirmation
Riabi*
Kiboat*
Starling**
Espressojet
Nuff*
TyrannicalTRex
Bitmap
notscience(SE)
NicCage (SE)
goodmorning (IC)*

Rules

* Stolen and Edited from EspeciallyTheLies who stole it from Equinox <3

All rules listed in the Boilerplate Mafiascum Game Rules page apply to this game except where contradicted in the additional rules below, in which case the following rules will take precedence:

Game-play:

1. This shade of Red (#BF0000)
    is reserved for the moderator. All other formatting is fair game with the provision that you do not impersonate me. Impersonation is grounds for a modkill
  2. Flavor is for entertainment purposes only and has no significance in the game.
  3. Votes must be cast using this format:

Code: Select all

[b]Vote:DoctorPepper[/b]
    or by using the VOTE: tags, like this:

[vote]DoctorPepper[/vote]
    If it looks like you're voting, it will be counted. You may UNVOTE: before changing your vote, but it is not necessary. If you wish to remove your vote entirely, you must UNVOTE: . You may also vote not to lynch anyone by voting for a No Lynch, like this VOTE: No Lynch or VOTE: NL. I will also accept nicknames such as

[vote]DP[/vote]
    as long as I understand it
  4. Lynches occur through simple majority (50% of living players + 1, rounded down). A No Lynch can be reached if 50% of the living players votes for no lynch. If no majority is reached at deadline, the Day will end without a lynch. Once majority is reached, no further votes or unvotes will count.
  5. All players, including the lynched player, are allowed to discuss in twilight phase until I post the death scene. Day ends when the moderator locks the thread.
  6. Dead players may make one "Bah!" post that does NOT contain any game information. If you think it might, leave it out. Things like, "Go town!" or "Bah!" are acceptable.
  7. You may not use hidden or encrypted text of any kind at any time for any reason (this includes "Tiny" text). Doing so will result in the offending post being deleted and the slot being replaced immediately and without warning.
  8. DO NOT TALK ABOUT ONGOING GAMES.
    Don't even hint at it.

Player Conduct:

• Prods will be issued to players if they have not posted within a 48-hour period. Players who have been prodded have 48 hours to make a game-related post in the game thread before a replacement is sought. If the prod is not opened within 24 hours, I will seek a replacement sooner. If you post a prod dodge, I will give you 24 hours to post before I prod you.
  • There is no fourth prod;
    players requiring a fourth prod will be replaced immediately. Additionally, if you get 3 in a single day phase, I will replace you
  • Insults, personal attacks, obscene name calling, and general bad behavior will not be tolerated and will result in force-replacement. Don't tempt fate; just play nice.
  • Please don't ask me to replace you because you don't like someone. Take a moment to review the player list before the game begins and use your best judgement. I would prefer to replace players only when absolutely necessary to maintain the flow of the game.

Deadlines and Night Actions:

• Days will have a deadline of two weeks, and Nights will last 48 hours. Deadline extensions will be granted only in extreme circumstances. Not being able to make up your mind is not an extreme circumstance. :]
  • If I do not receive your action by deadline, the action is forfeited. You may submit ahead of time. You can also make as many changes as necessary, and at deadline I will take the last action you submitted. Actions may be submitted via PM or bolded in a QuickTopic.
  • All actions will be processed according to Natural Action Resolution.

Miscellaneous:

• I am human and fallible. If I've made a mistake, you can let me know by PM or a quick (bolded) post in-thread.
  • Please bold anything you wish me to see. Such as a V/LA announcement
  • Any situation not covered above will be handled on a case-by-case basis.
  • I reserve the right to change the rules to adapt to whatever situation
  • If I am gone for more than 48 hours, contact my back up mod Malakittens or the list mod Vel-Rahn Koon

The following was stolen from Maestro because I like ETL's choice of mods.
A Note About SE's and IC's (by Glork)The purpose of the SE (Semi-Experienced) and IC (Inexperience-Challenged) players in this game is to help Newbies understand how the game is played on mafiascum.net. If you have any questions about abbreviations, etiquette, mafia theory, etc., do not hesitate to ask your IC. Newbie games are meant to be educational. That said, remember the following things:

• Because roles were assigned randomly, do not assume that your IC or SE players are town. They will provide you good theory-based information regardless of their alignment, but they are no more likely to be town than any other player in the game.

• There are no stupid questions! If you are unclear about any mafia-related questions ask your IC in thread. The answer to your questions will likely be helpful to everyone in the game.

• The tells and advice listed in the wiki, though useful, will only get you so far. Your IC and SE should be vastly more helpful than the wiki, as they will always be up-to-date.

Game Information

ABC
1Town JailkeeperVanilla TownieMafia Goon
2Mafia RoleblockerTown CopTown Doctor
3Town 1-shot
Bulletproof
Mafia GoonTown Tracker

This game has been given a setup that incorporates either one row or one column. The remaining six roles have be filled in by Mafia Goons and Vanilla Townies appropriately, to create a 2-Mafia and 7-Town setup. For example Row 1 (1 Jailkeeper, 1 Vanilla Townie, 1 Mafia Goon) would add an additional 5 Vanilla Townies and 1 Mafia Goon, for a total setup of 1 Jailkeeper, 6 Vanilla Townies, and 2 Mafia Goons.

Roles have been assigned using random.org.

*Roleblocker will take precedence over jailkeeper when resolving night actions should that apply.

Spoiler: Sample Role PMs
Vanilla TownieWelcome!

You are a
Vanilla Townie

You have no special abilities.

You win when all threats to the Town have been eliminated.

The game thread is here.

Town JailkeeperWelcome!

You are a
Town Jailkeeper

You may target one player per night phase. This player will be protected from kills and be prevented from using their own action, if they have one, during that night phase. You cannot target yourself.

The game thread is here.

Town CopWelcome!

You are a
Town Cop

You may target one player per night phase. At the end of the night phase, you will be informed if they are
Town
or
Mafia
. If you are roleblocked, you will receive no result.

The game thread is here.

Town DoctorWelcome!

You are a
Town Doctor

You may target one player per night phase. This player will be protected from kills during that night phase. You cannot target yourself.

The game thread is here.

1-shot Bulletproof TownieWelcome!

You are a
1-Shot Bulletproof Townie.

You will survive 1 kill attempt during the game. This does not include lynches.

The game thread is here.

Town TrackerWelcome!

You are a
Town Tracker

You may target one player per night phase. At the end of the night phase, you will be informed what player they targeted with their action, if any.

The game thread is here.

Mafia GoonWelcome!

You are a
Mafia Goon

Your partner is PLAYER, who is a
Mafia Goon/Roleblocker

You share a factional kill each night. You must choose which of you will commit the kill. You also share a factional QT, located here, which you may talk in during pregame and night phases.

You win when the Town has been eliminated, or nothing can stop this from occurring.

The game thread is here.

Mafia RoleblockerWelcome!

You are a
Mafia Roleblocker

Your partner is PLAYER, who is a
Mafia Goon

You may target one player per night. This player will be prevented from performing their own action, if any.

You share a factional kill each night. You must choose which of you will commit the kill. You may commit the kill and perform a roleblock in the same night phase. You also share a factional QT, located here, which you may talk in during pregame and night phases.

You win when the Town has been eliminated, or nothing can stop this from occurring.

The game thread is here.

Spoiler: People Who Are Not Dead
Kiboat
Mafia Roleblocker

goodmorning (IC)
Mafia Goon

Spoiler: People Who Are Not Alive
Espressojet
Vanilla Townie
was lynched Day 1
NicCage
Cop
died night 1
Riabi,
Vanilla Townie
was lynched Day 2
notscience,
Vanilla Townie
died night 2
Nuff,
Vanilla Townie
was lynched Day 3
TyrannicalTRex,
Doctor
and Starling,
Vanilla Townie
were endgamed

Spoiler: Put on a Bus(modkilled)
Nobody, and lets keep it that way

Last edited by DoctorPepper on Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:47 am, edited 10 times in total.
Show
Keep calm and Drink Dr Pepper :)

Quarantine is driving me crazy :(

Get to know a Pepper!!!
DoctorPepper
DoctorPepper
Coca-Cola
DoctorPepper
Coca-Cola
Coca-Cola

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:24 pm

Post by DoctorPepper »

All ROLE PMs have been sent!
Game starts when 7/9 have confirmed
Deadline is on Saturday, July 19, 2014, 2:30 am {(expired on 2014-07-19 02:30:00)}
Show

Get to know a Pepper!!!
DoctorPepper
DoctorPepper
Coca-Cola
DoctorPepper
Coca-Cola
Coca-Cola

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:45 pm

Post by DoctorPepper »

Alright guys, will give the two newbies a day to confirm before we start.
Show

Get to know a Pepper!!!
DoctorPepper
DoctorPepper
Coca-Cola
DoctorPepper
Coca-Cola
Coca-Cola

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:29 pm

Post by DoctorPepper »

Is anyone familliar with the Game of Death, you know, that Bruce Lee film. That creepy film where they used shots of his acutal funeral to make the character look like he actually died? You know, because that was the last movie he made, as a result of him dying of a suppossed drug overdose while shooting?

Well this game takes place in one of its most iconic scenes as Bruce travels through a tower with 4 different floors, each with a different opponent. You see, every floor has a maximum occupancy. While the first can accomodate 9 people, the tower floors get smaller and smaller because the next 3 floors can only accomodate 7, 5, and 3 respectively. The town is there because they wanted to claim the treasure at the very top of the mountain. The mafia decided to go with them to ensure that they get it first. This is what happens when you answer a treasure hunting request of a craiglist ad. In fact, originally there were 10 people until mysteriously, before the expedition, one of them was killed because he was trusted by everyone. Alas

DoctorPepper, Awesome Ass Treasure Hunter, died night 0.

The town do not know each other, which provided an issue of trust. However, they were smart enough to realize that not all of them were in it together and some have malicious intent because of the death of their lead explorer. Now they must try to find the killers and the treasure before they all feel the wrath of the Mafia.

It is now DAY 1

Show

Get to know a Pepper!!!
DoctorPepper
DoctorPepper
Coca-Cola
DoctorPepper
Coca-Cola
Coca-Cola

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:34 pm

Post by DoctorPepper »

Vote Count 1.00

Not Voting(9)
- Riabi, Kiboat, kcmooo, Espressojet, Nuff, TyrannicalTRex, Bitmap, NicCage, goodmorning

Vote History:

Riabi
Kiboat
kcmooo
Espressojet
Nuff
TyrannicalTRex
Bitmap
NicCage
goodmorning

With 9 alive, it's 5 to lynch.

Deadline is on Saturday, August 2, 2014, 5:00 AM{(expired on 2014-08-02 05:00:00)}

Mod notes:

Searching for a replacement for kcmoo who never picked up his role PM
I have stolen Starling from the newbie queue.
Last edited by DoctorPepper on Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Show

Get to know a Pepper!!!
Espressojet
Espressojet
Mafia Scum
Espressojet
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:18 pm

Post by Espressojet »

1:30? Come on DP, this is no way to kick off a newbie game!

What do you mean?
If this is about the time, its because i live in the Philippines and i started the game at 5PM
goodmorning
goodmorning
Any
Survivor
goodmorning
Any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: Any

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:49 am

Post by goodmorning »

Hello all, I am your lovely IC. I am expected to help you learn to play the game, particularly in the context of this forum. Towards the pursuit of that goal, I will answer all your theory questions truthfully.

That's right,
I will not lie to you
about theory.

Now, you may be thinking "no fair, she's got more experience, clearly she will pwn newbs". That's only somewhat true. Some newbies have played many a game of Mafia elsewhere. Besides this, experience counts against me as well: you all are able to look up my past games and see how I've played in them. I can't because most of you don't have any. So it's a fairly even split.

Some helpful Wiki pages:
Quick Guide to Mafia
Quick Guide to Mafiascum
A Beginner's Guide to Being Awesome At Mafia

And some terms:
Glossary
Commonly Used Abbreviations

I also want to get this out now so as not to interrupt gameplay later:

HELPFUL TAG TIME

[post]0[/post]

will look like

and link you to that post.

[url=http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?uid=20055&f=11&t=58447&start=0]Newbie 1521[/url]

will look like
Newbie 1521
And link you to that url (this one is this game).

[spoiler]OH NO WHAT IS HAPPENING[/spoiler]

will look like
OH NO WHAT IS HAPPENING

(highlight to read).

The code for a big spoiler is this:

[spoiler=A SPOILER??]IT IS[/spoiler]

which looks like
Spoiler: A SPOILER??
IT IS

Some mods are fine with spoilering of REALLY BIG WALLS O' TEXT. Some are not. If in doubt, ask the Mod before you post.

/IC wall

Vote: Espresso

Hello!
EFFORT IS NOT INDICATIVE OF ALIGNMENT
LA during normal working and sleeping hours EST

Get to know a very pleasant AM.
Riabi
Riabi
Goon
Riabi
Goon
Goon

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:34 am

Post by Riabi »

So, this is my first game here, from looking through a lot of the old forums, it looks like random voting is somewhat common 'round these parts, so, with that in mind, I'm going to VOTE: TRex and TRex, if you want me to change my vote, it's up to you to convince me you aren't scum. Aren't all dinosaurs inherently scummy?
Kiboat
Kiboat
Townie
Kiboat
Townie
Townie

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:47 am

Post by Kiboat »

I'll be another resident newbie, and I'm very excited to finally take part in one of these. I have played a few small games of Mafia in real life but this should be on a completely different scale. Not completely sure what else there is to say in my first post, so I'll just say that my hobbies include reading and taking long walks. Here's to the start of a good game.

Vote:Bitmap
because I have to vote for somebody and since I generally misread them and end up horribly lost, I find maps in general to be incredibly suspicious.
goodmorning
goodmorning
Any
Survivor
goodmorning
Any
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:28 am

Post by goodmorning »

Dead game, OH NOOOOOOOO! Could you come post, if you haven't done so and are reading this, other players???

In post 7, Riabi wrote:So, this is my first game here, from looking through a lot of the old forums, it looks like random voting is somewhat common 'round these parts, so, with that in mind, I'm going to VOTE: TRex and TRex, if you want me to change my vote, it's up to you to convince me you aren't scum. Aren't all dinosaurs inherently scummy?

Hmmmmmmm, not sure I like this.
Possible prizes for guessing why.

In post 8, Kiboat wrote:I'll be another resident newbie, and I'm very excited to finally take part in one of these. I have played a few small games of Mafia in real life but this should be on a completely different scale. Not completely sure what else there is to say in my first post, so I'll just say that my hobbies include reading and taking long walks.

Ooooh, reading. Read anything good recently?

As long as we're sharing experience, mine is since my join date here, since about a month before that on another site, and occasionally face-to-face over nearly a decade.

IRL is a little easier than forum though.

Kiboat
Kiboat
Townie
Kiboat
Townie
Townie

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:43 am

Post by Kiboat »

In post 9, goodmorning wrote:Ooooh, reading. Read anything good recently?

Sadly not. I picked up a really interesting book about personality typing last month but haven't made much progress with it, since an unfruitful job search and my getting addicted to television shows has been keeping me pretty distracted lately. Couple of my friends have been on my case about trying Breaking Bad for a while now, you see. Very enjoyable show, but it sucks up a lot of free time. Maybe I'll try to get back into the book this afternoon.
goodmorning
goodmorning
Any
Survivor
goodmorning
Any
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:01 am

Post by goodmorning »

I certainly know that feel.

Any thoughts on Riabi, since you seem to be around?

Bitmap
Bitmap
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Bitmap
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:28 am

Post by Bitmap »

Hi. I play vidya games.

VOTE: goodmorning
"I give up on trying to read you. You're unimaginably scummy, with a dose of ultra-Town thrown in for spice."
Bitmap
Bitmap
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Bitmap
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:28 am

Post by Bitmap »

My hobbies include MMORPGS like TERA and Final Fantasy XIV.
"I give up on trying to read you. You're unimaginably scummy, with a dose of ultra-Town thrown in for spice."
Riabi
Riabi
Goon
Riabi
Goon
Goon

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:50 am

Post by Riabi »

In post 11, goodmorning wrote:I certainly know that feel.

I typically read a good bit, best book recently was "Skin Game" by Jim Butcher. It's the most recent book in the "Dresden Files" series. If you've not read that series, I HIGHLY recommend it.

goodmorning wrote:

What exactly don't you like?
Kiboat
Kiboat
Townie
Kiboat
Townie
Townie

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:04 am

Post by Kiboat »

In post 13, Bitmap wrote:My hobbies include MMORPGS like TERA and
Final Fantasy XIV

I must've seen a thousand ads for this while visiting this one website last year.

In post 14, Riabi wrote:I typically read a good bit, best book recently was "Skin Game" by Jim Butcher. It's the most recent book in the "Dresden Files" series. If you've not read that series, I HIGHLY recommend it.

Ooh, I need to get around to these too. I read the first one a looong time ago and enjoyed it quite a lot :]

In post 11, goodmorning wrote:Any thoughts on Riabi, since you seem to be around?

Nothing really threw up any major red flags. I suppose there is how they worded their vote, specifically how it seemed to be calling Rex out to challenge it, but it might just be their style of trying to invite them into the discussion or some such. A little odd, maybe, but I'm not sure if there's anything to make of it.

Is this what you caught onto earlier, or is there something else?
Bitmap
Bitmap
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Bitmap
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:19 am

Post by Bitmap »

goodmorning is trying too hard. That makes me kinda suspicious of him already.
TyrannicalTRex
TyrannicalTRex
Townie
TyrannicalTRex
Townie
Townie

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:40 am

Post by TyrannicalTRex »

Hi everybody!

This is my first game so we'll see how it goes.

In post 7, Riabi wrote:So, this is my first game here, from looking through a lot of the old forums, it looks like random voting is somewhat common 'round these parts, so, with that in mind, I'm going to VOTE: TRex and TRex, if you want me to change my vote, it's up to you to convince me you aren't scum. Aren't all dinosaurs inherently scummy?

Well I don't know what I can say right now to change your vote seeing as the game just started but hopefully as the day goes on I'll be able to convince you of my innocence. Tyrants are known to be innocent so that should even out any scummy-ness of me being a dinosaur. Right?

VOTE: Nuff (because I gotta start somewhere)
NicCage
NicCage
Mafia Scum
NicCage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:17 am

Post by NicCage »

I
just
finished breaking bad. Do you guys wanna know how it ends?

VOTE: bitmap
goodmorning
goodmorning
Any
Survivor
goodmorning
Any
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:23 am

Post by goodmorning »

In post 14, Riabi wrote:
In post 11, goodmorning wrote:I certainly know that feel.

I typically read a good bit, best book recently was "Skin Game" by Jim Butcher. It's the most recent book in the "Dresden Files" series. If you've not read that series, I HIGHLY recommend it.

I've read some of that series. I have to be in a certain frame of mind though.

goodmorning wrote:Hmmmmmmm, not sure I like this.

What exactly don't you like?

I was hoping someone might guess first.

In post 15, Kiboat wrote:
In post 11, goodmorning wrote:Any thoughts on Riabi, since you seem to be around?

Nothing really threw up any major red flags. I suppose there is how they worded their vote, specifically how it seemed to be calling Rex out to challenge it, but it might just be their style of trying to invite them into the discussion or some such. A little odd, maybe, but I'm not sure if there's anything to make of it.

Is this what you caught onto earlier, or is there something else?

It's sort of that, sort of something else.

In post 16, Bitmap wrote:goodmorning is trying too hard. That makes me kinda suspicious of him already.

I don't think one can try hard enough as an IC.

That sounded trite as hell. Yeah, I am trying. So what?

In post 18, NicCage wrote:I
just
finished breaking bad. Do you guys wanna know how it ends?

This is the internet. I've not seen a single episode but I already know the whole plot.

NicCage
NicCage
Mafia Scum
NicCage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:31 am

Post by NicCage »

Hey, I managed to get by without a good deal of spoilers.
And I would have been pissed if someone ruined mah streak
Kiboat
Kiboat
Townie
Kiboat
Townie
Townie

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:31 am

Post by Kiboat »

In post 17, TyrannicalTRex wrote:Hi everybody! This is my first game so we'll see how it goes.

You're in good company, fellow newbie. I've never met a tyrant I disliked before.

In post 19, goodmorning wrote:
It's sort of that, sort of something else.

Seeing as how nobody else seems to share your feelings about Riabi's post, would you mind elaborating on what else bothered you? I just want to know where you're coming from.
Bitmap
Bitmap
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Bitmap
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:54 am

Post by Bitmap »

In post 19, goodmorning wrote:
In post 16, Bitmap wrote:goodmorning is trying too hard. That makes me kinda suspicious of him already.

I don't think one can try hard enough as an IC.

That sounded trite as hell. Yeah, I am trying. So what?

I used to play as an IC before and whenever I rolled scum, I would try to push out of RVS by pinpointing some silly thing a newbie would do as scummy and push the wagon while using it as town-cred material.

So what's wrong with Riabi's RVS post?

Also, early town read on Kiboat.
Bitmap
Bitmap
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Bitmap
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:59 am

Post by Bitmap »

Mmmm probably jumping a gun on the goodmorning case but it just reminds me of my scum play. I'll probably switch once a better wagon gets rolling.
TyrannicalTRex
TyrannicalTRex
Townie
TyrannicalTRex
Townie
Townie

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:00 am

Post by TyrannicalTRex »

In post 9, goodmorning wrote:

Possible prizes for guessing why.

It's obviously because dinosaurs are awesome and not scummy at all.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”