Newbie 1346 -- Game Over

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Nobody Special
Nobody Special
Survivor
Nobody Special
Survivor
Survivor

Newbie 1346 -- Game Over

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:01 am

Post by Nobody Special »

Welcome to NewbieVille! You've been hearing the news lately, and it's been just about the same thing, day in, day out. Except lately, there's been a sudden increase in unexplained crime. You've been ignoring it for a while, figuring it would go away, but it's just getting worse. Suddenly, the town Council has convened an Emergency Meeting, and chosen nine exemplary townfolk (you included!) to serve as a Committee for Dealing With Stuff.
As a member of this Committee, you have been given the power to question everyone in town and to decide who among you has infiltrated the town in order to take over. You, as a Committee, have the power to lynch one person each Day. Good luck!

Game Status

Game Over

Deadline

Deadline: (expired on 2013-04-27 14:30:23)

Current Votecount
:

In post 1183, Nobody Special wrote:
Votecount 4.12

Bacde - 3 - fuzzybutternut, Wisdom, thenewearth

fuzzybutternut - 1 - Bacde

Not Voting: ...

With 4 alive, it takes 3 to lynch.

Deadline: (expired on 2013-04-27 14:30:23)

Player List:

Alive: (1/9)

fuzzybutternut*
MadWitch*

(
Bold
= confirmed; * = prodded)

Dead: (8/9)

Spoiler: Here there be bodies

sirdanilot (IC), Mafia Goon,
lynched Day One
SafetyDance (SE), Town Doctor,
shot Night One
_Zaradi_
blizz
, Vanilla Townie,
lynched Day Two
MNIJ*, Vanilla Townie,
committed suicide Day Three
EspeciallyTheLies
Manus Celer Dei*
, Town Jailkeeper,
shot Night Three
Bacde** (SE), Vanilla Townie,
lynched Day Four
Wisdom
xDiabloBlanco
Snooperfax
, Vanilla Townie,
killed in endgame
thenewearth
JKMatthews
, Vanilla Townie,
killed in endgame
Last edited by Nobody Special on Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:04 pm, edited 44 times in total.
....what?

Blitz: Picking Simplicity taking pre-ins; PM for info. (0/13)
Nobody Special
Nobody Special
Survivor
Nobody Special
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:02 am

Post by Nobody Special »

My Newbie Ruleset
(from KittyMo; provenance further within)

Game Rules (Modified from Zorblag, who modified them from Vel-Rahn Koon):

General Gameplay and Etiquette:

1. You may not quote private Moderator-supplied information (either real or fabricated) of any kind. Paraphrasing (for role claims, etc.) is acceptable.
2. There is to be NO personal communication outside of the forum postings unless your role PM specifically allows it. Mafia members may communicate at night and during the confirmation stage.
3. If you have a role with a Night action your choices are due to me by the posted deadline. If I do not receive your choice via PM by the posted deadline you will forfeit your actions.
4. Roles with Night actions will not be able to submit an action on Night 0 (i.e. during the confirmation stage).
5. Any player with a Night action may instead submit a “No Action” PM to let the Mod know that you do not want to perform your expected action that Night phase.
6. As a general rule you should aim for one post every 48 hours, minimum, to keep the game moving.

Voting, Deadlines, and Player Death:

1. A simple majority of all living members must agree on one person for a lynch to occur prior to deadline.
2. Once you have reached a simple majority no further unvoting will change someone’s fate.
3. Once a player is lynched the game enters twilight until I post a death scene; all players including the one who was lynched may continue to post during twilight.
4. Please submit votes as:
Vote: PlayerName
or VOTE: PlayerName.
Votes will NOT be counted if they are not bold! Obvious abbreviations or nicknames will be counted so long as they are unambiguous.

5. Please submit vote revocations as either
Unvote: PlayerName
or UNVOTE: PlayerName or UNVOTE: . Unvotes are not necessary before changing votes.
6. You may Vote: No Lynch - a simple majority of these vote types are required to send the game to Night phase without a lynch.
7. This game will have 3 week deadlines. At deadline, the player (or No Lynch) with the most votes will be lynched. In the case of a tie, the tie breaker will be the player who has the first active vote on them. Should there be no active votes at deadline no one will be lynched.

Miscellaneous/Mechanics:

Bold, blue
text is reserved for the Mod. No invisible/small text is allowed, nor is cryptography.
2. If you have an issue/problem with the game, please PM the Mod privately. Do not post issues/complaints in the game thread.
3. The Mod may make mistakes - please point out any mistakes gently. Mistakes will be corrected where possible, but sometimes mistakes are made that cannot be reversed. These will stand as final to be commiserated over after the game.
Please bold all requests to the Mod so that they don’t get missed.

5. Prods of missing players will be issued automatically after 72 hours of no activity or upon request after 48 hours of no activity. A prodded player has 48 hours to respond or risks replacement. A player who has been prodded 3 times is subject to replacement without further notice.
6. Rule violations will be dealt with according to their severity, up to and including a Modkill.
If you anticipate being unavailable for more than a 48-hour period please post a notice to that effect in the thread.
Treat this game as a commitment. Be considerate – don’t leave us hanging.

The Golden Rule:

Please remember that this is a game and your main objective is to have fun! Be considerate of each other, don’t get personal, and enjoy the game.

Helpful Links:

Last edited by Nobody Special on Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
....what?

Nobody Special
Nobody Special
Survivor
Nobody Special
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:03 am

Post by Nobody Special »

2of4 SetupThe 2of4 setup is a test game format we’re trying out in Newbie games to get around balance issues with the F11 setup. To prevent the development of game-breaking strategies, these Newbie Games are Semi-Open, wherein the actual game setup is randomly chosen as detailed below:

• 1 Mafia Goon
  • 1 Mafia RoleCop
  • 5 Vanilla Townies
  • 2 of the following (no duplicates possible): (Cop 25%, Doctor 25%, Jailkeeper 25%, Vanilla Townie 25%)
Notes
  1. The RoleCop has the option of submitting both the night kills and investigations, even when the Goon is still alive.
  2. Mafia must specify who is performing what Night action when the Night action PM is submitted!

These are the Role PMs that have potentially been sent to the players:

Mafia-Aligned players:

Mod wrote:

name
(a Mafia RoleCop) and
name
(a Mafia Goon) are part of the local Mafia crime family. Since your plot to quietly overtake the town has failed, you will attempt take it by force by eliminating the others until you outnumber the populace.

• During the day, try to blend in with the normal Townies and attempt to get someone lynched.
  • During the NIGHT cycle ONLY, you may talk with your fellow Mafia (via QuickTopic, linked below) and choose another player in the town to kill that night.
  • One of you must send the moderator a PM with your choice of who to kill
    and who is performing the kill
    before the Night deadline.
  • The Mafia RoleCop has the ability to investigate another player and learn their specific role (Townie, Cop, Doc, or Jailkeeper).
  • One of you must send the moderator a PM with your choice of player that you want to investigate (usually along with the kill) before the Night deadline.
  • If the Mafia RoleCop is blocked by a Town Jailkeeper then the RoleCop will receive a PM stating “No Result”.
  • You may communicate privately via QuickTopic with your fellow Mafia up until the game thread is opened (this is called Night 0). Once the game begins, all outside communication must cease until the night cycle.
  • Please do not communicate with each other outside of the QT.
  • You win when the number of Mafia equals or exceeds the number of remaining Town players, whether you survive to the end or not.
  • Please confirm by posting in the game thread, which you will find here.

Town-Aligned players:

Mod wrote:

You are a normal townsperson, trying to make a living and survive this insanity.

• You have no abilities at Night other than getting a good night's rest.
  • Although you do not have any special abilities, your voice and vote are powerful weapons in their own right. Use them to your best advantage!
  • At no time may you privately communicate with any other player.
  • You win when all the Mafia players are gone, whether you survive to the end or not.

Mod wrote:

You are a member of the local law enforcement, and can tell the good guys from the bad.

• Each NIGHT, you may send the moderator a PM with your choice of player that you want to investigate before the Night deadline.
  • The Moderator will inform you as to that person’s guilt or innocence.
  • If you are blocked by a Town Jailkeeper you will receive a PM stating “No Result”.
  • In a Newbie game, you will always get a correct result (no sanity issues).
  • You win when all the Mafia players are gone, whether you survive to the end or not.

Mod wrote:

You are a physician, and can use your medical training to protect people from harm.

• Each NIGHT, you may send the moderator a PM with your choice of player that you want to protect before the Night deadline.
  • If someone attempts to kill that player during the Night, they will be spared.
  • You will not be informed as to whether your protection was successful or not.
  • You may not protect yourself.
  • In a Newbie game, your protection target will always live through the night.

Mod wrote:

You are a prison guard, and it’s your job to ensure the undesireables are kept in their place.

• Each NIGHT, you may send the moderator a PM with your choice of player that you want to send to jail before the Night deadline.
  • If the jailed player attempts to use a Night action (Investigate, Protect, or Kill), their action will not resolve.
  • If the jailed player is the target of a Kill that action will not resolve. Any other actions (Investigate or Protect) will resolve.
  • Neither you nor your target will be made aware of whether your own action was successful.
  • You may not put yourself in jail.
....what?

Nobody Special
Nobody Special
Survivor
Nobody Special
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:02 am

Post by Nobody Special »

Role PMs are being sent out now.
....what?

Nobody Special
Nobody Special
Survivor
Nobody Special
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:12 am

Post by Nobody Special »

Role PMs are being sent out now.

All Role PMs are out. When seven out of nine players have confirmed in this thread, Day One will automagically begin.
....what?

sirdanilot
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:36 am

Post by sirdanilot »

Confirm !

Hey guys ! I am the IC in this game ! This means that I have more experience than most of you, though I'm still a normal player playing the game. If you have questions about game theory, abbreviations, stuff like that, don't be afraid to ask me. Note that I am a relatively 'old' player here, so some of the abbreviations I know might be a bit outdated :P

A basic thing before we get started:
PLEASE GET AN AVATAR
. Generally we tend to recognize people based on their avatars, this goes more quickly than reading the user name.
MNIJ
MNIJ
Townie
MNIJ
Townie
Townie

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:55 am

Post by MNIJ »

Confirmed. Will sort an avatar.
MadWitch
MadWitch
Townie
MadWitch
Townie
Townie

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:19 am

Post by MadWitch »

Want to have a raccoon!
Manus Celer Dei
Manus Celer Dei
Townie
Manus Celer Dei
Townie
Townie

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:44 am

Post by Manus Celer Dei »

Hey-o. Confirmed here.
JKMatthews
JKMatthews
Goon
JKMatthews
Goon
Goon

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:39 pm

Post by JKMatthews »

Confirm!
blizz
blizz
Townie
blizz
Townie
Townie

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:19 pm

Post by blizz »

Confirm!
Bacde
Bacde
Jack of All Trades
Bacde
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:47 pm

Post by Bacde »

/confirm
SafetyDance
SafetyDance
Mafia Scum
SafetyDance
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:14 am

Post by SafetyDance »

/confirm
Bacde
Bacde
Jack of All Trades
Bacde
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:46 am

Post by Bacde »

that's 8 people we are playing now

woo-hoo!
Nobody Special
Nobody Special
Survivor
Nobody Special
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:05 am

Post by Nobody Special »

Day One begins now.

With 9 alive, it takes 5 to lynch.

Deadline: (expired on 2013-04-01 14:03:43)
....what?

SafetyDance
SafetyDance
Mafia Scum
SafetyDance
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:27 am

Post by SafetyDance »

Vote: MNIJ

For not getting an avatar yet
Bacde
Bacde
Jack of All Trades
Bacde
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:59 am

Post by Bacde »

Vote: MNIJ

lynch all liars
sirdanilot
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:50 am

Post by sirdanilot »

Yay ! Start !

I don't random vote; I random question (though the percentage of randomness in these questions remains to be seen).

@Snooperfax
: Why have you not confirmed yet? Are you a lurker?
@Bacde
: Why is MNIJ a liar according to you?
@SafetyDance
: Why so eager?
@MadWitch
: Why a raccoon? Why no badger?
Manus Celer Dei
Manus Celer Dei
Townie
Manus Celer Dei
Townie
Townie

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:15 am

Post by Manus Celer Dei »

vote: sirdanilot
for skirting the RVS in favor of these random questions.

Since you're the IC you can correct me if I'm wrong, but the theory behind the RVS is that people are going to create a series of chaotic talking points through "random"-ly voting, eventually resulting in a vaguely serious vote being placed (which in turns leads to wagoning and etc) and thus the game gets going in one way or another. Can you explain how you intend to achieve that through your questions? It seems to me what you've done is give people these easy one off questions that are not motivation or alignment indicative in any way that they can post a response to and get off more easily than if they were to "create" their own content, so to speak.

Is snooperfax not confirming alignment indicative? I fail to see how it could be. Is lurking alignment indicative? Again, not really, particularly removed from any context.
Is Bacde and SafetyDance's random voting of MNIJ for not getting an avatar as he promised alignment indicative? Not on its face, although I suspect that questioning Bacde on his inability to choose a unique reason to random vote wouldn't be a bad idea (hint hint).
And the MadWitch question? Well, the usefulness there speaks for itself I suspect.
sirdanilot
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:29 am

Post by sirdanilot »

@ Manus: Is voting for not getting an avatar any more alignment indicative than asking whether someone is a lurker or prefers raccoons over badgers?
JKMatthews
JKMatthews
Goon
JKMatthews
Goon
Goon

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:34 am

Post by JKMatthews »

VOTE: Manus Celer Dei

For taking a bunch of RVS questions way too seriously, and for the irony of a two paragraph post in RVS saying "your votes don't make discussion".
Snooperfax
Snooperfax
Townie
Snooperfax
Townie
Townie

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:52 pm

Post by Snooperfax »

Just got my pm. Was thinking of declining since I'll be moving, but I don't think it should be too big a deal since Day 1 is three weeks long.
Snooperfax
Snooperfax
Townie
Snooperfax
Townie
Townie

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:54 pm

Post by Snooperfax »

In post 18, Manus Celer Dei wrote:
vote: sirdanilot
Is snooperfax not confirming alignment indicative? I fail to see how it could be. Is lurking alignment indicative? Again, not really, particularly removed from any context.

Wait, what? Someone is already trying to lynch me?
MadWitch
MadWitch
Townie
MadWitch
Townie
Townie

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:26 pm

Post by MadWitch »

No, obviously not since you haven't any votes yet, you are afraid? Why?
Vote: snooperfax

Now your fear is justified and you have a reason to answer at least.

On another note I like how sirdanilot is just implying something negative like lurker with snooperfax just because he hasn't confirmed yet. Seems weird in context that you wasn't doing something like that with the other three you mentioned.
SafetyDance
SafetyDance
Mafia Scum
SafetyDance
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:42 pm

Post by SafetyDance »

Vote: Sirdanilot

• For being the most experienced player and not having found scum yet. Ergo must be one himself!
    Oh, and for RQS. Blech! I'd question their randomness too /false advertising.

• Bacde is town for joining a wagon + trying to gauge reactions
    MadWitch trying to pressure a guy who's going to be v/la. Hmmm
    MCD not understanding that lurking is bad! Lynch All Lurkers!

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”