Newbie 1575 - Game Over

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Micc
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Newbie 1575 - Game Over

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:35 am

Post by Micc »

Newbie 1575

Moderated by Micc

Players:

Fromage
ocelot
Shinobi
riku
prawneater

bji

TheInvisibleGorilla Mikazuki
Jared615

pirate mollie
(SE)
Espeonage
(SE)
Thor665
(IC)

SE - indicates a Semi-Experienced player, a player who has played at least two games on MafiaScum.net
IC - indicates the Inexperience-Challenged player, a player who has volunteered for a teaching position in this Newbie Game
(their play is governed by the MafiaWiki article on being a good IC)

Spoiler: Alive
Shinobi,
Mafia Goon
, survived and won.
Espeonage,
Mafia Goon
, survived and won.

Spoiler: No Longer Alive
Thor665,
Vanilla Townie
, was lynched Day 1.
prawneater,
Vanilla Townie
, was killed Night 1.
pirate mollie,
Vanilla Townie
, was lynched Day 2.
Fromage,
Vanilla Townie
, was killed Night 2
Jared615,
Vanilla Townie
turned
Neutral Survivor
, was modkilled Day 3.
bji,
Town Cop
, was endgamed Day 3
Newbie,
Vanilla Townie
, was endgamed Day 3.

Important Events:

| | | | |
|
|
Last edited by Micc on Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:29 pm, edited 22 times in total.
"To hide a tree, use a forest" -Ninja Boy Hideo
Micc
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:55 am

Post by Micc »

Game Rules
(Adapted from singersigner)

The Golden Rule

Please remember that this is a game and your main objective is to have fun! Be considerate of each other, don’t get personal, and enjoy the game. Playing to win does not preclude being considerate of each other!

I will not tolerate excessive personal attacks in this game. I will remove you from the game (possibly without warning) if you get too personal.

General Rules/Game Etiquette

1. Obey all Site-wide Rules.
  2. Communication outside the thread (if your role specifically allows it) is allowed until the game begins.
  3. You may not quote private communication of any kind. This includes moderator-supplied information (either real or fabricated) of any kind. Paraphrasing (for role claims, etc.) is acceptable.
  4. Claiming scum by yourself is fine. Claiming scum with another player is an instant modkill. Don't do it.
  5. Please remember that you made a commitment to participate when you signed up to play. If you cannot fulfill this commitment, please contact the Mod and request a replacement instead of just disappearing!
  6. There is to be NO personal communication outside of the forum postings unless your role PM specifically allows it.
    If someone contacts you outside the game you should report it to the game Mod IMMEDIATELY.

Activity/Prods/Replacements

1. Prods of missing players will be issued after 48 hours of no activity.
  2. A prodded player has 24 hours to respond to the prod, after which time a replacement search will begin. The prodded player may re-enter the game so long as no replacement has been found.
  3. A player who has been prodded 3 times is subject to possible replacement without further notice.
  4. Tree-stumped players will not be subjected to activity requirements, and thus will not be prodded or replaced if they become inactive.
  5. If you anticipate being unavailable for more than 48 hours please PM the Mod or post in the thread to declare V/LA.

6. I reserve the right to force replace players who need extensively long V/LA (greater than one week) at my own discretion.

Deadlines

1. This game will have two week Day deadlines, and 48 hour Night deadlines.
  2. Extensions are given only in extreme circumstances.
  3. If you have a role with a Night action your choices are due to me by the posted deadline. If I do not receive your choice via PM by the posted deadline you will forfeit your actions.
  4. Deadlines may be shortened if activity is too low, or if all Night choices have been received early.

Player Actions/Voting/Player Death

1. A simple majority of all living players must agree on one person (via voting) for a Lynch to occur (simple majority = ½ # of living players +1, rounded down). If no one has a simple majority of votes at deadline a No Lynch will occur.
  2. Votes must be bolded or use the [.vote] tags to be counted (e.g.
    Vote: Player
    or VOTE: Player).
  3. Unvotes are not necessary before changing votes.
  4. You may
    Vote: No Lynch
    - a simple majority of these vote types are required to send the game to Night phase without a Lynch.
  5. Votes made using nicknames or abbreviations will be counted at my discretion. Fake vote gambits should be executed at your own peril. If I think its a vote, then its a vote.
  6. Once a player has reached a simple majority of votes no further unvoting will change their fate.
  7. When a player is lynched the game enters twilight until I post a death scene; all players may continue to post.
  8. If you are killed (either via lynch or night kill) you may no longer post unless your role specifically allows it. "Bah" type posts are not allowed.
  9. Any player with a Night action may instead submit a “No Action” PM to let the Mod know that you do not want to perform your expected action that Night phase.

Miscellaneous

1. Bolded Dark Blue
    text (#004080) is reserved for the Mod. No invisible/small/encrypted text is allowed.
  2. Vote counts will be posted once per page or once per day, whichever is less.
  3. If you have an issue/problem with the game, please PM the Mod privately. Do not post issues/complaints in the game thread.
  4. The Mod may make mistakes - please point out any mistakes gently. Mistakes will be corrected where possible, but sometimes mistakes are made that cannot be reversed. These will stand as final to be commiserated over after the game.
  5. Please bold all requests to the Mod so that they don’t get missed.

6. Rules violations will be dealt with according to their severity (up to and including a Modkill) as the Mod sees fit.
  7. Modkills may be accompanied by a change to day/night. The offender’s role will be changed to Neutral Survivor, which guarantees a loss.
  8. Any situation not explicitly covered above is subject to Mod discretion and will be handled as the Mod sees fit on a case-by-case basis.
Last edited by Micc on Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Micc
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:57 am

Post by Micc »

Newbie Setup

Matrix6 (as designed by Cogito Ergo Sum):

ABC
Town Jailkeeper
Vanilla Townie
Mafia Goon
Mafia Roleblocker
Town Cop
Town Doctor
Town 1-shot
Bulletproof
Mafia Goon
Town Tracker

The setup is determined by randomly selecting one row or one column from the above table, then filling in the remaining 6 roles with 5 Vanilla Townies and 1 Mafia Goon to create a 7-town, 2-mafia setup.
For example, if Row 1 (Town Jailkeeper, Vanilla Townie, and Mafia Goon) was chosen, the full setup will be 1 Town Jailkeeper, 6 Vanilla Townies, and 2 Mafia Goons.

All Newbie games use the Natural Action Resolution system for determining Night action effects. Roleblocker actions will take precedence over Jailkeeper actions should that apply.

Spoiler: Sample Role PMs
Vanilla TownieWelcome!

You are a
Vanilla Townie

You have no special abilities.

You win when all threats to the Town have been eliminated.

The game thread is here.

Please confirm you received your Role PM by
replying with your Role and Alignment

Town JailkeeperWelcome!

You are a
Town Jailkeeper

You may target one player per night phase. This player will be protected from kills and be prevented from using their own action, if they have one, during that night phase. You cannot target yourself.

The game thread is here.

Town CopWelcome!

You are a
Town Cop

You may target one player per night phase. At the end of the night phase, you will be informed if they are
Town
or
Mafia
. If you are roleblocked, you will receive no result.

The game thread is here.

Town DoctorWelcome!

You are a
Town Doctor

You may target one player per night phase. This player will be protected from kills during that night phase. You cannot target yourself.

The game thread is here.

1-shot Bulletproof TownieWelcome!

You are a
1-shot Bulletproof Townie.

You will survive 1 kill attempt during the game. This does not include lynches.

The game thread is here.

Town TrackerWelcome!

You are a
Town Tracker

You may target one player per night phase. At the end of the night phase, you will be informed what player they targeted with their action, if any.

The game thread is here.

Mafia GoonWelcome!

You are a
Mafia Goon

Your partner is PLAYER, who is a
Mafia Goon/Roleblocker

You share a factional kill each night. You must choose which of you will commit the kill. You also share a factional private thread located here, which you may talk in during pregame and night phases.

You win when the Town has been eliminated, or nothing can stop this from occurring.

The game thread is here.

Mafia RoleblockerWelcome!

You are a
Mafia Roleblocker

Your partner is PLAYER, who is a
Mafia Goon

You may target one player per night. This player will be prevented from performing their own action, if any.

You share a factional kill each night. You must choose which of you will commit the kill. You may commit the kill and perform a roleblock in the same night phase. You also share a factional private thread, located here, which you may talk in during pregame and night phases.

You win when the Town has been eliminated, or nothing can stop this from occurring.

The game thread is here.

Micc
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:57 am

Post by Micc »

Role PM's have been sent out. Please confirm you received your Role PM by
replying with your Role and Alignment.

The game will begin when 8 players have confirmed. I currently have 8 confirmations.
Mikazuki has (expired on 2015-02-06 17:00:00) to pick up her role PM before I begin searching for a replacement.

It is now Day 1.
The deadline for Day 1 will be in (expired on 2015-02-19 11:10:00).
Micc
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:01 am

Post by Micc »

VoteCount 1.00

Not Voting (9)
: ocelot, riku, prawneater, bji, Mikazuki, Jared615, pirate mollie, Espeonage, Thor665

With 9 players alive, it takes 5 votes to Lynch or No Lynch.

Deadline
: The deadline for Day 1 is in (expired on 2015-02-19 11:10:00).
Espeonage
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: any

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:10 am

Post by Espeonage »

Vote: Thor

Definitely been far too long since we last played.
Don't @ me.
Jared615
Jared615
Townie
Jared615
Townie
Townie

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:13 am

Post by Jared615 »

Hello Everyone
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:23 am

Post by Thor665 »

tl:dr - this entire commentary block is all about introducing myself as the IC, blathering about my duties, and offering a basic idea of some of the strategy of the RVS. If this interests you, please read on (especially if this is your first time playing here) if not, feel free to skip.
Spoiler: IC Intro
===========================================================================================

Greetings,

I am Thor665 and I am the Inexperienced Challenged (IC) player of this group. What this means is first and foremost - I am here to play this game with you in a way that will show you what it is like to play on Mafiascum.net. I am here to win and should be treated as such.

My goals and the rules governing my actions are covered in this handy article: Being a good IC
That article is part of our amazing MafiaWiki System. I *highly* recommend this system as a good way to get your feet wet and to find out what a lot of the common abbreviations mean. There is a lot of play strategy discussed in there too. A lot of players consider that advice almost all outdated now. I don't recommend trying to run verbatim with anything there, but a lot of the basic advice is very good to at least be aware of as it can help you avoid blatant pitfalls as you become familiar with the game play here.

Now, as an IC I am here as a resource for you to ask questions of concerning game theory. I WILL NOT lie about game theory answers and will answer them to the best of my ability. I will also offer you the following quick pieces of advice;

1. Don't self vote. (there are really no points during a Newbie setup where this is a good idea, please avoid it however logical you may think it is)
2. This site frowns on lying if you are a vanilla town role. I strongly advise against lying if you have this role as usually it will only hurt town in the end.
3. It's a game - have fun.

We are now starting what is known as the RVS (random voting stage). We are in a low information period because scum already know who they are, and even have a rough idea of what power roles may or may not be in the game. It is now town's job to root them out. Because the start of the game leaves us with no information to start with generally the way to start is to begin voting and questioning other people to see if you can catch them doing something scummy (scummy actions being acts that a scum player is more likely to do then a town player).

Vote: Pirate Mollie

Because by the time she posts 10 times or so I'll want her dead regardless.

Greetings, Espeo. It has been a while - maybe I'll lynch you tomorrow.
prawneater
prawneater
Goon
prawneater
Goon
Goon

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:42 am

Post by prawneater »

VOTE: Jared615

I'm going to get you lynched.
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:56 am

Post by Thor665 »

Unvote: Pirate Mollie
Vote: Jared615
bji
bji
Mafia Scum
bji
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:48 am

Post by bji »

Hi there everyone! This is my second game of Mafia, so I still have alot to learn. Looking forward to a fun game!

vote: Jared615[/vote] because animated avatar ...
bji
bji
Mafia Scum
bji
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:48 am

Post by bji »

Urgh, my coffee sits before me. I should have drunk it
before
posting!

vote: Jared615
Jared615
Jared615
Townie
Jared615
Townie
Townie

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:35 am

Post by Jared615 »

Yeah Have fun guys on that mislynch
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:36 am

Post by Thor665 »

In post 10, bji wrote:because animated avatar ...

Could you expand on this reasoning please?
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:37 am

Post by Thor665 »

In post 12, Jared615 wrote:Yeah Have fun guys on that mislynch

Do you think you should look town to us?
You don't look particularly town to me - so why should we not vote you?

Also, why have you not placed a vote yet - if you are town and think this is a bad town move, what makes you think all three of the people voting you are town right now?
Jared615
Jared615
Townie
Jared615
Townie
Townie

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:50 am

Post by Jared615 »

In post 14, Thor665 wrote:

Also, why have you not placed a vote yet - if you are town and think this is a bad town move, what makes you think all three of the people voting you are town right now?

Look people I'm just getting started.

I have no clue why people are voting for me. I assume its random.

I haven't voted yet cause I'm unsure who I want to vote for
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:53 am

Post by Thor665 »

In post 15, Jared615 wrote:Look people I'm just getting started.

1. So are we all, and you're complaining about our votes, so clearly you have some opinions - I don't think it's unreasonable for me to ask about them.

2. I can specifically say my vote is not random. I am pretty sure the first one was. I am not certain about bji's vote, though I did ask about that.

3. What sort of method are you employing to help you figure out who to vote? Is it just 'sit back and watch'? I will admit I find that a lackluster method and tend to favor proactive actions as they actually advance the game. Could you tell me about your method? Or maybe tell me why you oppose placing a random vote? Or both?
bji
bji
Mafia Scum
bji
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:55 am

Post by bji »

In post 15, Jared615 wrote:
In post 14, Thor665 wrote:

Look people I'm just getting started.

Don't worry, early votes are basically just random, people are just talking and exploring. You will not get lynched just because of these early random votes, even if you did somehow make it to L-1 (i.e. one more vote to lynch), unless you do something to convince people that you really are scum. But you haven't done anything yet.

Like I said, I only voted for you because animated avatars are distracting. I don't actually think you're scum (until you convince me otherwise :)). I didn't even pay close attention to the previous votes and only noticed afterwards that that put you on three votes.

But really, don't worry about it. These votes are basically meaningless and there is lots of time left for them to move in Day 1.
bji
bji
Mafia Scum
bji
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:56 am

Post by bji »

In post 13, Thor665 wrote:
In post 10, bji wrote:because animated avatar ...

Could you expand on this reasoning please?

No game related reasoning there. I think I'm going to get seasick watching that guy shimmy back and forth on every page, that's all :)
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:04 am

Post by Thor665 »

In post 17, bji wrote:I don't actually think you're scum (until you convince me otherwise :)). I didn't even pay close attention to the previous votes and only noticed afterwards that that put you on three votes.

So you voted a guy you don't think is scum and also didn't read the game well enough to realize the guy you were voting had multiple votes on him.
:neutral:
Why are you not paying attention to the votes before placing your own vote?
prawneater
prawneater
Goon
prawneater
Goon
Goon

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:05 am

Post by prawneater »

bji wrote:
Don't worry, early votes are basically just random, people are just talking and exploring. You will not get lynched just because of these early random votes, even if you did somehow make it to L-1 (i.e. one more vote to lynch), unless you do something to convince people that you really are scum. But you haven't done anything yet.

Like I said, I only voted for you because animated avatars are distracting. I don't actually think you're scum (until you convince me otherwise :)). I didn't even pay close attention to the previous votes and only noticed afterwards that that put you on three votes.

But really, don't worry about it. These votes are basically meaningless and there is lots of time left for them to move in Day 1.

I don't know if this post really serves town.
UNVOTE: Jared615
VOTE: bji
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:07 am

Post by Thor665 »

@Prawneater - in a universe where you see that post as scummy, and I can easily see doing so, how do you see it as scum talking to town exactly? And if you don't - why would you unvote the guy with more votes on him?
Jared615
Jared615
Townie
Jared615
Townie
Townie

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:07 am

Post by Jared615 »

VOTE:prawneater

Simply for trying to lynch a townie
bji
bji
Mafia Scum
bji
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:15 am

Post by bji »

In post 19, Thor665 wrote:
In post 17, bji wrote:I don't actually think you're scum (until you convince me otherwise :)). I didn't even pay close attention to the previous votes and only noticed afterwards that that put you on three votes.

So you voted a guy you don't think is scum and also didn't read the game well enough to realize the guy you were voting had multiple votes on him.
:neutral:

Very true. Another admission: I actually looked at people's avatars when the game was being set up and people were confirming with Micc, and I decided that I was going to make a point about not liking animated avatars by voting for Jared as my first vote even before the game began.

Thor665 wrote:
Why are you not paying attention to the votes before placing your own vote?

Because I know that a RVS vote is meaningless and also I knew that not enough people had even posted to have caused my vote to have the unintended effect of putting Jared at L-1.

prawneater wrote:
I don't know if this post really serves town.

This is a newbie game, and having been a newbie myself, I want to help a newbie whom it appeared thought that they were being attacked right out of the gate. I'm just that kind of guy.

Full disclosure: I will play to my win conditions, but where possible I will also try to have fun and be a good mafiascum citizen.
bji
bji
Mafia Scum
bji
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:17 am

Post by bji »

unvote: Jared

Wow Jared changed his avatar! I feel so
POWERFUL

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”