Verbally abusing your fellow mafia player is not okay

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #57 (isolation #0) » Sun May 11, 2014 1:52 am

Post by kuribo »

"Oh my god just die, you scumfuck"

When I read that, I see it as telling the player to get NK'd or lynched, not to... like... you know, die in real life.

I don't understand why the assumption would be that you're telling the actual player to die unless you have such difficulty separating reality from a game that you worry we're actually going to lynch the people you vote for.
Join me on my quest to play every NES game! Some of them are awful.

Kuribo's read is foolproof: one night he was high on NyQuil, and he's ancestors reveiled Aureal's alignment to him. - Dessew
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #58 (isolation #1) » Sun May 11, 2014 1:58 am

Post by kuribo »

In post 55, Quilford wrote:Well, the OP assumed that not being verbally abused was inherent to having fun. Frankly, I can't fault them for that.

So maybe read that sentence as 'If you are a mod and your ruleset includes a clause against verbal abuse...'

Then if you are in one of those mod's games, and you verbally abuse someone in a way that is unacceptable to the mod, you receive a warning and the knowledge that joining one of the mod's games might not be such a great idea for the future.

I've toned it down at the request of the mod before. Some mods give you more lee-way than others. When GreyICE and I ran Bipolar Mafia, the rule was that if you managed to offend either of us, you probably deserve punishment. We didn't have any problems. (then again the setup was imbalanced as fuck and the scum was blatantly obvious so there wasn't much argument anyway)

Kuribo's read is foolproof: one night he was high on NyQuil, and he's ancestors reveiled Aureal's alignment to him. - Dessew
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #62 (isolation #2) » Sun May 11, 2014 3:22 am

Post by kuribo »

In post 59, CrashTextDummie wrote:And why would it be a problem to put it in those less abrasive terms?
Not a problem, but unnecessary. I'm not disagreeing with many of your points, but about this one. In a game where we routinely use terms like "CTD died N1," or refer to "Dead QTs" and "mod kills" and about a thousand other references to death on a daily basis, I don't see the need to make an issue of statements like "Man, I can't wait until you die." Or "Why isn't this dead yet?" or "Just die already." It should be implicit that one is referring to the game state.

"Die In a Fire," however is unnecessarily mean. Unless the game has an arsonist or other fire-related kill flavor.

kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #65 (isolation #3) » Sun May 11, 2014 3:32 am

Post by kuribo »

Scumfuck is just a more vulgar variation of the word "scum," though.

Scum isn't something you'd call someone in real life, unless he like drained out your pension fund or something.

kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #67 (isolation #4) » Sun May 11, 2014 3:36 am

Post by kuribo »

also

this is relevant:

kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #68 (isolation #5) » Sun May 11, 2014 3:37 am

Post by kuribo »

In post 66, T S O wrote:I have no interest in implicating people, either, but I would prefer to openly be told I'm a scumfuck than someone condescendingly telling me I'm poor, and Thor did that in the exact same game, so why haven't you cited Thor? Where's he?

PEdit: that.

wait, he condescendingly told you you were poor?

why have i long ignored this tactic?

"HOW CAN YOUR READS BE RIGHT, YOU DON'T EVEN OWN A LEXUS"

kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #70 (isolation #6) » Sun May 11, 2014 3:41 am

Post by kuribo »

In post 50, zMuffinMan wrote:Like, I would be less offended by someone saying "your reads are fucking shit" than I would be by someone doing it in a round-about "civil" manner

Because the latter is just them trying to make it look like they're not saying "your reads are fucking shit" in a really dickheaded manner

The latter sucks the enjoyment out of games far more than the former, IMO. Some people will think differently to me. Why should I care about their opinions on the matter? Or where should a line be drawn at what is or isn't acceptable in a game? If it's up to the mods, then do not try to dictate what is or isn't acceptable in a game if you're not the fucking mod of that game.
I feel like the latter comes off as way more smug than "WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU SMOKING PUT DOWN THE CRACKPIPE AND RE-EVALUATE YOUR READS FOR FUCKS SAKE"

i mean i'd rather see that than "Your perception of the gamestate is errant and I personally feel that your evaluation of the other players is faulty."

"YOUR BRAIN IS FAULTY PUT DOWN THE CRACKPIPE AND AND AND "

kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #75 (isolation #7) » Sun May 11, 2014 10:46 am

Post by kuribo »

Assuming that people type "fuck" solely to offend is fairly solipsistic

Some people, especially in a heated environment, tend to just dump their brainpoop right into the thread and hit Send

kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #81 (isolation #8) » Sun May 11, 2014 11:56 am

Post by kuribo »

In post 80, Siveure DtTrikyp wrote:I find it kinda funny that there's two sides arguing in this thread, which both find something the other side routinely uses offensive.

Seriously though, abusive playstyles are an arms race between thick skins and piercing words. We don't have to go back to nothing, but some disarmament would be nice for the peaceful lot who never got going.

HEY THIS GUY'S TRYING TO PROMOTE COMPROMISE

GET HIM

kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #88 (isolation #9) » Sun May 11, 2014 1:06 pm

Post by kuribo »

In post 87, Faraday wrote:why not be both for double the Image

ugh god it'd be like trying to play mafia with my ex wife

kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #123 (isolation #10) » Mon May 12, 2014 3:31 am

Post by kuribo »

In post 98, Hoopla wrote:i agree with CTD, vi, llama etc

but not because i find those things particularly offensive, more that i find them boring. majiffy and kuribo types seem to revel in that edginess for no real reason other than to mask their lack of personality.

just kidding

This is bullshit, you act as if I use swears to be edgy or whatever

How I talk is how I talk, I really don't give it as much thought as you seem to think

I don't go "oh, maybe putting a fuck here will make me seem cool" I say "Jesus fucking Christ, did you eat paint when you were a kid? For fucks sake" because it's what I'm thinking at the time

kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #125 (isolation #11) » Mon May 12, 2014 3:38 am

Post by kuribo »

Mafia is a game of words and personalities

It's no different from people having different preferences in guns when they play CounterStrike

However, If some servers want to ban the AWP and I feel like I can't play without AWPing then I'm free to take my choice of other servers that do allow it

It's a CounterStrike metaphor in which mods are servers

PEdit: making up for the time I saved ignoring mastins wall

kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #128 (isolation #12) » Mon May 12, 2014 4:09 am

Post by kuribo »

Not to mention, "cursing to be edgy" is disingenuous as fuck anyhow when you consider I recently made an MD thread and video imploring people not to rage. Hell, part of the reason I retired is because I got sick and fucking tired of people calling me scum if I wasn't screaming insults at them. I actually AGREE with CTD to an extent, but the line is at "what constitutes abuse." He doesn't seem to like the word "fuck," I don't like the words "fag" or "cunt" or "retard." (And in fact, other than casually using "bitch" (at guys, I don't use that word toward women) or "fucker" I don't actually do a lot of name-callingin general) It's a matter of taste.

kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #131 (isolation #13) » Mon May 12, 2014 4:25 am

Post by kuribo »

The biggest problem with "rage" are:

1) it gets easier and easier to do

2) it helps get a read on people exactly once. After the first time, they expect it of you and won't be caught off guard

3) people expect it of you and if you're not in a murderous frenzy every game, people think you're scum

4) it is very emotionally draining, not just on the other players but on yourself. Especially if you come to like them. Like I always say, when I play a game, I don't think of the players as people. I think of them as potential enemies to be shot, manipulated, cornered, etc. not unlike the other players in a game of Quake. Outside the game, sure, y'all can be people. But inside the game I MUST MURDER. The problem is that it gets more difficult to be "mean" in game to people you know and like outside the game. And then they will lynch you for being too calm

So really it doesn't pay to rage

kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #132 (isolation #14) » Mon May 12, 2014 4:28 am

Post by kuribo »

In post 130, Hoopla wrote:
In post 129, Majiffy wrote:
In post 123, kuribo wrote:I don't go "oh, maybe putting a fuck here will make me seem cool" I say "Jesus fucking Christ, did you eat paint when you were a kid? For fucks sake" because it's what I'm thinking at the time
^ This. ^
all of my posts are painstakingly handcrafted.

i didn't know you guys had no filter and just don't think when making posts.
This is why some players have hundreds more posts than others. Swearing isn't the objective, just a side effect from an emotional style. One in which the process goes:

"Hit reply -> type thoughts -> hit send -> read reply -> repeat"

kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #134 (isolation #15) » Mon May 12, 2014 4:44 am

Post by kuribo »

Exactly that. Another example: "you're scum because you're too calm"

Do you not think I know that town me rages? Don't you think that I know it's seen as a scum tell? Why the ever loving fuck would I exhibit behavior knowing that it's a scum tell?! where the hell is the scum motivation in doing something THAT I KNOW WILL BE SEEN AS SCUMMY FOR FUCKS SAKE? MAYBE YOU SHOULD STOP FOR TWO GOD DAMN SECONDS AND USE YOUR EFFING BRAIN BEFORE YOU PISS STUPIDITY ALLOVER THE THREAD FOR CRYING OUT LOUD

kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #159 (isolation #16) » Mon May 12, 2014 2:30 pm

Post by kuribo »

In post 153, Majiffy wrote:I'm curious where you draw this age line, because on the last page I see 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2011 all basically arguing against the "swearing is omgzsuperbad!" position.

AHEM

kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #160 (isolation #17) » Mon May 12, 2014 2:32 pm

Post by kuribo »

In post 156, LlamaFluff wrote:What I am asking is for when players in games say to tone it down, for people to actually do it.
I've been asked to tone it down a few times, and I comply

In post 157, AngryPidgeon wrote:Kuribo, Fate, and I are hosting an online stress relief class, everyone feel free to sign up.

Activities are going to include:

-talking about our feeling
-talking about things we do that make us happy
-identifying stress factors in our lives
-focus on better communication
-tunneling on scumfucks burn in hell die
-yoga
I TRIED THAT

it was called the Serene hydra

and it kinda worked for Fate.

DGB and i are still in therapy :(

kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #162 (isolation #18) » Mon May 12, 2014 2:38 pm

Post by kuribo »

In post 161, Majiffy wrote:ITT:

Damn Kids
Rap Music
Baggy Pants

1) i seriously don't understand music these days. dubstep? that stuff sounds like crap, back in my day we had good bands like Nirvana and the Wu Tang Clan

2) back when i was a homeowner a few years ago, i actually told some punk kids to get off my lawn and stop stealing my crabapples

3) i'm only 33 :(

kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #178 (isolation #19) » Tue May 13, 2014 5:08 am

Post by kuribo »

Oooh if you rep him can I watch

kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #179 (isolation #20) » Tue May 13, 2014 5:08 am

Post by kuribo »

In post 177, tosser wrote:the year: 1985/86
the month: idk

god: what gift should i give to earth
angels: a clever person
god: SEND THEM MAJIFFY
I'm pretty sure that much like myself, majiffy was sent by the other guy

kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #180 (isolation #21) » Tue May 13, 2014 5:10 am

Post by kuribo »

In post 175, tosser wrote:to rephrase: if i could add users to be my friend, i'd add you.
You can add friends

The only people on my list are Amrun and DGB

kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #184 (isolation #22) » Tue May 13, 2014 5:15 am

Post by kuribo »

Not all angelic beings are heavenly

kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #195 (isolation #23) » Tue May 13, 2014 6:55 am

Post by kuribo »

Textual abuse by registered text offenders

kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #205 (isolation #24) » Tue May 13, 2014 1:23 pm

Post by kuribo »

WRONG

VERBAL = USING VERBS

AS IN "I AM ENDING YOU"

kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #207 (isolation #25) » Tue May 13, 2014 3:36 pm

Post by kuribo »

yah thats why i'm in therapy / retired from mafia

kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #212 (isolation #26) » Wed May 14, 2014 9:54 am

Post by kuribo »

In post 211, Scarab wrote:The everyone-has-different-information component of mafia makes it too damn easy to get mad at other players or to do things that make other players mad at you. Talking about someone's play in (almost) any words you want should usually be fine as long as they're there for emphasis rather than personal reasons, but a pattern of doing so probably makes games unpleasant for anyone not engaging in it. I really need to cut down on how mean I am in mafia games :(

i disagree

feed the hate

kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #241 (isolation #27) » Tue May 20, 2014 4:33 am

Post by kuribo »

In post 240, T S O wrote:I enjoyed how this was apparently site-wide, yet I and only I was quoted.

Clearly I am the site.

remember that time you and i got into an argument of such violent hatred and murderous rage that the game had to be cancelled

and how we were both town

kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #243 (isolation #28) » Tue May 20, 2014 5:34 am

Post by kuribo »

In post 242, T S O wrote:That was a great, great game, I'm sure you'll agree.

I blame DGB for letting us at it.
wasn't she scum in that? wasn't that the game where I was a Weak Doc and I had openly stated I was gonna doc her which would have been my suicide and exposed her as scum?

kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #245 (isolation #29) » Tue May 20, 2014 7:44 am

Post by kuribo »

In post 244, T S O wrote:...yes. :(

In my defense, I had DGB and PeaceKeeper pegged - I was just so incredibly wrong on you.
it's okay, i got you back in Death Note Mafia where I actually was scum and buddied the hell out of you

Return to “Mafia Discussion”