Newbie 1646 - Mafiascum University Class 106 - OVER!

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Zar
Zar
Mafia Scum
Zar
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Newbie 1646 - Mafiascum University Class 106 - OVER!

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:41 pm

Post by Zar »

Mafiascum University Core Class 106

Newbie Game 1646 by Zar
Setup Matrix 6 by: Cogito Ergo Sum

Good Morning Class of 1646! Welcome to Mafia 106: PLAY TO WIN. I will be your moderator! I have provided you with a copy of the syllabus for this course, which consists in trying to figure out what you need to do to pass this course! A big percentage of your grade will be to have fun, certainly, but there's a special place for those of the class who manage to achieve their win condition! But before we start with the first lesson, let me take the roll call... I see a lot of fresh faces in this session, along with a couple of regulars! Welcome everyone!

Remember this is a very competitive class, and that we will be reducing the space available for the lectures as the days move on... You guys can choose who you want to leave out the next lecture by voting during each Day Phase. Let's get started, then!

The Pupils (Playerlist):

1. eimim_
2. Kadston**
replacing KTtheCreeper

3. WerewolfDon*
replacing newbieinmafia

4. Postie*
replacing Willowmeadow*

5. Jaack
6. Bearbert D
replacing Wasted Space who replaced TheMemeKing

7. Lia*
replacing vijay2vasandani (SE)**

8. Fugitive (SE)
9. Regfan (IC)*

Spoiler: Still Attending (4/9)
1. eimim_
3. WerewolfDon*
replacing newbieinmafia

6. Bearbert D
replacing Wasted Space who replaced TheMemeKing

8. Fugitive (SE)

Spoiler: Out of the Class! (5/9)
2. Kadston**
replacing KTtheCreeper
--
Vanilla Townie
, Lynched D1
7. Lia*
replacing vijay2vasandani (SE)**
--
Vanilla Townie
, Lynched D2
5. Jaack --
Town Doctor
, shot N2
9. Regfan (IC)* --
Mafia Goon
, Lynched D3
4. Postie*
replacing Willowmeadow*
--
Vanilla Townie
, shot N3

Spoiler: Expelled from MFSC University (Modkilled)
Hopefully No One Ever!

= Prods.

= Separates prods belonging to different day phases.
Last edited by Zar on Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:25 pm, edited 23 times in total.
Show
"There are no men like me. There's only me."

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The Mafia, coming soon your way.

Modded games: Mini 1382 - Micro 67 - NY 160B.
Zar
Zar
Mafia Scum
Zar
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:43 pm

Post by Zar »

Before we start our lessons, I am providing you with a list of things you should acquaint yourself with in order to take the best advantage of this class that you can. I know it's a little longer than most around in the Newbie queue, but please read them!

• GENERAL RULES

1) All sitewide rules apply. Read them here
    2) Please treat this game as a commitment and do your best to participate actively.
    3) You may not discuss this game anywhere outside the game thread unless you are Mafia. In such case, a PT will be provided and you may not discuss your game outside the game thread and/or the PT.
    4) Be civil and treat other players with respect--attack the case, not the person. Mafia is a heated game, but I will interfere if anyone resorts to excessive insults, personal attacks, and bullying. There is a zero-tolerance policy against offensive comments or slurs based on race, gender, religion, ethnicity, sexual orientation, etc.
    5)
    #4000BF
    and
    Bolded #4000BF
    are my colors. You may not use either.
    6) Quoting or pretending to quote your role PM, PTs, or private communications with the mod is strictly forbidden. Loose paraphrasing is permitted, although run it past me first when in doubt.
    7) Punishment for breaking any of the rules here listed, or exploiting any loopholes may include a private or public warning, force replacement, modkill, or even blacklisting (depending on the seriousness of the offence).
    8) If you have any minor questions or spot a vote count error (I normally double check them, but acknowledge mistakes can happen) please bold your question or concern in the thread addressing me (@ Mod).
    9) If you have outside information that influences your knowledge of the game, are aware of someone else having outside information, or have any reason to believe that the game has been compromised, it is your responsibility to inform the mod via PM immediately. I will love you for your honesty.
    10) Please also PM me for any other concerns not listed above.

VOTING/LYNCHING MECHANICS

11) For your vote or unvote to be counted, it must be completely bolded, and use the format Vote: PlayerName/Unvote: PlayerName or VOTE: : Playername/UNVOTE: Playername (capital letters and colon optional). Any other variation (such Hammer: PlayerName) will not be counted.

BBC CODES you can use (just type them the same way replacing PlayerName with the player of your choosing:

Code: Select all

[vote]PlayerName[/vote] or [v]PlayerName[/v] 

12) Votes for misspellings or acronyms of players' names (such as VOTE: Playrname or VOTE: PN) are valid as long as the player being voted for is clear. You are not required to unvote before changing your vote. However, votes that are behind spoiler tags, in small or invisible text, or otherwise concealed are invalid.
    13) You may vote for a No Lynch using the voting parameters listed above.
    14) A lynch will occur when 50%+1 of the votes are cast for the same player; a No Lynch will occur wen 50% of the votes are cast for that option. When this has happened, any subsequent votes and unvotes will not be counted, and the game will enter twilight.
    15) You may continue talking after a lynch or deadline has elapsed until the mod posts to end the day. After that, you may not post even if the mod forgets to lock the thread.
    16) I am required to post vote counts every twenty-four hours. In case I may not do this in a RL day, you will be informed, but this will not be a constant situation. Be advised that players may request a new vote count at any time, and I will try to post a vote count at least every two pages or every twenty four (24) hours, whichever comes first.

ACTIVITY AND DAY/NIGHT PHASES.

17) Days will have a deadline of (2) two weeks. Deadline extensions will be granted only in extreme circumstances, and will never exceed one (1) week of the total length of the day phase.
    18) Night phases will last for forty eight (48) hours.
    19) If a replacement is needed during a night phase, I will extend the night deadline until some time after a replacement is found, regardless of whether that slot has a night action or not.
    20) In order for night actions to be accepted, they must be PMd to the mod or posted in bold in scum QTs before the deadline is up. If a player does not select one, he or she will default to "no action."
    21) Players will be prodded after forty-eight hours without posting. They may also request prods on other players so long that player has not posted for a reasonable amount of time. All prods will be announced in thread.
    22) Players who do not respond to a (non-player-requested) prod within twenty-four hours or need to be prodded too often will be replaced at the discretion of the mod.
    23) Since this is a Newbie Game, replacements for this game will follow the Newbie mod guidelines. Please read them here.
    24) If you will be unable to post for over forty-eight hours, inform the mod by PM or in the thread of when you'll be V/LA. Assuming the V/LA period is of reasonable length, you will be exempt from prods during that time. All V/LA notifications will be made public by the mod.*
    25) Once you're dead, you may no longer post in thread.
    No 'bah' posts.

Most importantly: have fun playing!
Show

Zar
Zar
Mafia Scum
Zar
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:45 pm

Post by Zar »

As part of the core of the syllabus, we will be working with Matrix 6, the official study guide for Mafia 106 as conceived by Professor Emeritus Cogito Ergo Sum and sanctioned by the Dean of the Newbies, Mina, Ph.D.

NEWBIE SETUP

Matrix6 (as designed by Cogito Ergo Sum):
(Reference: Assistant Professor Micc)

ABC
Town Jailkeeper
Vanilla Townie
Mafia Goon
Mafia Roleblocker
Town Cop
Town Doctor
Town 1-shot
Bulletproof
Mafia Goon
Town Tracker

The setup is determined by randomly selecting one row or one column from the above table, then filling in the remaining 6 roles with 5 Vanilla Townies and 1 Mafia Goon to create a 7-town, 2-mafia setup.

For example: if Row 1 (Town Jailkeeper, Vanilla Townie, and Mafia Goon) was chosen, the full setup will be 1 Town Jailkeeper, 6 Vanilla Townies, and 2 Mafia Goons; if Column C (Mafia Goon, Town Doctor, Town Tracker) was chosen, the full setup will be 1 Town Doctor, 1 Town Tracker, 5 Vanilla Townies, and 2 Mafia Goons.

All Newbie games use the Natural Action Resolution system for determining Night action effects. Roleblocker actions will take precedence over Jailkeeper actions should that apply.

The full list of possible role PMs in Matrix 6 is listed below:

Vanilla TownieWelcome!

You are a
Vanilla Townie

You have no special abilities.

You win when all threats to the Town have been eliminated.

The game thread is here.

Please confirm you received your Role PM by
replying to me via PM with your Role and Alignment and writing /confirm in the game thread

Town JailkeeperWelcome!

You are a
Town Jailkeeper

You may target one player per night phase. This player will be protected from kills and be prevented from using their own action, if they have one, during that night phase. You cannot target yourself.

The game thread is here.

replying to me via PM with your Role and Alignment and writing /confirm in the game thread

Town CopWelcome!

You are a
Town Cop

You may target one player per night phase. At the end of the night phase, you will be informed if they are
Town
or
Mafia
. If you are roleblocked, you will receive no result.

The game thread is here.

Town DoctorWelcome!

You are a
Town Doctor

You may target one player per night phase. This player will be protected from kills during that night phase. You cannot target yourself.

The game thread is here.

1-shot Bulletproof TownieWelcome!

You are a
1-shot Bulletproof Townie.

You will survive 1 kill attempt during the game. This does not include lynches.

The game thread is here.

Town TrackerWelcome!

You are a
Town Tracker

You may target one player per night phase. At the end of the night phase, you will be informed what player they targeted with their action, if any.

The game thread is here.

Mafia GoonWelcome!

You are a
Mafia Goon

Your partner is PLAYER, who is a
Mafia Goon/Roleblocker

You share a factional kill each night. You must choose which of you will commit the kill. You also share a factional private thread located here, which you may talk in during pregame and night phases.

You win when the Town has been eliminated, or nothing can stop this from occurring.

The game thread is here.

Mafia RoleblockerWelcome!

You are a
Mafia Roleblocker

Your partner is PLAYER, who is a
Mafia Goon

You may target one player per night. This player will be prevented from performing their own action, if any.

You share a factional kill each night. You must choose which of you will commit the kill. You may commit the kill and perform a roleblock in the same night phase. You also share a factional private thread, located here, which you may talk in during pregame and night phases.

You win when the Town has been eliminated, or nothing can stop this from occurring.

The game thread is here.

Show

Zar
Zar
Mafia Scum
Zar
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:47 pm

Post by Zar »

Role PMs being sent out today. Please confirm in the manner indicated in your role PM and remember posting /confirm in this thread as indicated. Game will start
automatically
when 8/9 players have confirmed in thread.
Show

Fugitive
Fugitive
Mafia Scum
Fugitive
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:12 pm

Post by Fugitive »

/confirm
Regfan
Regfan
Jack of All Trades
Regfan
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:48 pm

Post by Regfan »

/Confirm.
eimim_
eimim_
Goon
eimim_
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:22 pm

Post by eimim_ »

/confirm
Willowmeadow
Willowmeadow
Goon
Willowmeadow
Goon
Goon

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:58 am

Post by Willowmeadow »

/confirm
Jaack
Jaack
Goon
Jaack
Goon
Goon

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:33 am

Post by Jaack »

/confirm
newbieinmafia
newbieinmafia
Goon
newbieinmafia
Goon
Goon

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:10 am

Post by newbieinmafia »

/confirm
Zar
Zar
Mafia Scum
Zar
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:49 pm

Post by Zar »

I'll give the players who haven't picked up their role PMs until 12:00 PM (EDT) tomorrow, otherwise I'll steal some replacements from the queue. (
Show

vijay2vasandani
vijay2vasandani
Mafia Scum
vijay2vasandani
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:59 pm

Post by vijay2vasandani »

/confirm
coming back after a 3 year break.
Zar
Zar
Mafia Scum
Zar
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:17 am

Post by Zar »

KTtheCreeper and TheMemeKing are being replaced for failing to pick up their role PMs
Show

Zar
Zar
Mafia Scum
Zar
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:57 am

Post by Zar »

Stealing Kadston and Wasted Space from the Newbie queue to replace KTtheCreeper and TheMemeKing respectively, both of which failed to pick up their Newbie 1646 Role PMs.
Show

Kadston
Kadston
Townie
Kadston
Townie
Townie

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:02 pm

Post by Kadston »

/confirm

~.Game begins as of this post! ~~~. Zar
Last edited by Zar on Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regfan
Regfan
Jack of All Trades
Regfan
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:26 pm

Post by Regfan »

That confirm starts the game.

Welcome to those who are new to the site. I'm the Inexperienced Challenged known as the IC of the playerlist. If there's anything you're even unsure about or curious just ask and I'll do my best to answer. My role and goals are explained in the Being a Good IC article. First of I'd suggest that you have a read through A Guide To Playing Mafia as well as taking a look around the wiki, there's a lot of useful information there but by far the best way to learn and understand forum mafia is by following other games as well as playing in them. One thing you'll notice is that games normally start with something called the Random Voting Stage also known as the RVS, this is where players place votes down for seemingly random reasons with the aim of generating content, reactions and pressure on players. It's also commonly believed that players act in very telling ways during this stage.

Spoiler: The following are a bunch of abbreviations that are thrown around a lot:
-> RQS: This is the alternate to the RVS, instead of throwing around votes players ask others questions to get the game rolling.
-> Lylo: This means if you lynch incorrectly at this point you lose however it also means that you're in a position where you must lynch.
-> Mylo: This is the day before lylo, if you lynch incorrectly you lose however you can no lynch and should in most cases. There is a few exceptions though.
-> Meta: This refers to using past experience or knowledge of how a person plays to determine their alignment.
-> L-1: This means that the player is one vote away from a lynch. Similarly L-2 is 2 away and so forth.
-> ISO: This refers to reading someone in isolation. Down the bottom of the page above where you post you can select a user and read only their posts.
-> NK: Nightkill, or confusingly other times it can also be no-kill.
-> WIFOM: This is short for wine in front of me. It's based around the circular reasoning of playing a guessing game with information that could go either way.
-> OMGUS: This is short for oh my god you suck. It's pretty much where a player votes someone for voting them using the players attack on them as justification for their suspicion.
-> Win: Something that I intend to have one more of by the end of the game.

Don't be afraid to post and let us know what you think, this game is about us working together to determine who is scum and who is town, so if you're town and holding back thoughts you're making it hard for us to read you. Also remember that not everyone thinks the same way so someone disagreeing with you doesn't mean they're mafia, instead of looking at just if they agree or not look at the motivation behind the posts. Something else to remember is that if you have 1 or 2 votes on you don't just claim, claiming gives scum information. Generally claiming happens when someone is at L-1 and you should always give someone a chance to defend themselves and claim at this point. Lastly please don't selfvote, it's really not playing for your win condition, instead step back and re-asses the situation and see if you can convince people that their reasons for you being mafia are wrong. Biggest thing though is remember this is a game, it's meant to be fun. If you've got any questions feel free to ask.

I myself am not a big fan of RVSing because I think a lot of players react badly to votes during it regardless of their alignment and I'm super boring. But if you want to RVS go for it. If you could also answer the following questions for me that'd be awesome though;

1) How often do you expect to post?
2) What and how much experience have you had playing mafia?
3) Do you prefer playing town or scum and why?

My answers are;

1) At least once a day possibly slightly more on weekends.
2) Enough to be your IC obviously.
3) I prefer town a lot, I enjoy the challenge of scumhunting and piecing the game together and try to play a logic based game.
eimim_
eimim_
Goon
eimim_
Goon
Goon

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:47 am

Post by eimim_ »

1) How often do you expect to post?
2) What and how much experience have you had playing mafia?
3) Do you prefer playing town or scum and why?

1) on weekdays I can only post after work, so this depends on whether or not other players are online at the same time. If not, I probably won't have a lot of posts. During the weekend I have time to post a lot.
2) this is my third game, though for my second one I'm a replacement and the game is still ongoing
3) I don't really know. I like the challenge and unsertanty of playing town, but I don't know how my opinion on that will develop after I have more games under my belt.
Jaack
Jaack
Goon
Jaack
Goon
Goon

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:03 am

Post by Jaack »

For the questions:

1. I'll likely check in at least once a day.
2. This is my second game of mafia, with the first one being a month ago.
3. I'm not sure, as I have never been scum. Playing town can be fun, but its sometimes frustrating.

@Regfan: What was the goal of these questions, particularly question 3?

VOTE: Fugitive for being the only player I have played with before.
vijay2vasandani
vijay2vasandani
Mafia Scum
vijay2vasandani
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:07 am

Post by vijay2vasandani »

VOTE: eimim

1. At least once a day, probably more
2. I've played a fair amount of games on here but I took a 3 year break and just got back
3. An equal balance really. Each are fun in their own way.

P.edit: I don't think it was regfan asking
coming back after a 3 year break.
eimim_
eimim_
Goon
eimim_
Goon
Goon

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:48 am

Post by eimim_ »

VOTE: Kadston
Because I like number 2
Fugitive
Fugitive
Mafia Scum
Fugitive
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:04 am

Post by Fugitive »

VOTE: Regfan because ICs are the worst.

FoS: Jaack for voting me and calling himself town.
Jaack
Jaack
Goon
Jaack
Goon
Goon

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:38 am

Post by Jaack »

UNVOTE:
VOTE: eimim

I don't particularly like post . Eimim initially followed regfan's lead by not RVS-ing and only answering the questions, but after vijay and myself voted, she decided to join in. Looks like she is cautiously trying to fit in.
eimim_
eimim_
Goon
eimim_
Goon
Goon

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:41 am

Post by eimim_ »

Actually, I just forgot to vote after answering the questions
Fugitive
Fugitive
Mafia Scum