Newbie 1738 - Desert Mafia - Game over!

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
goodmorning
goodmorning
Any
Survivor
goodmorning
Any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: Any

Post Post #1100 (ISO) » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:16 am

Post by goodmorning »

@TTTT: If it pinged me I probably mentioned it in the Dead Thread. Besides that, I'm not sure? I can take a look back and see if I was ambiguous about any, but by that point I was scumreading everyone so?????????
EFFORT IS NOT INDICATIVE OF ALIGNMENT
LA during normal working and sleeping hours EST

Get to know a very pleasant AM.
ironstove
ironstove
Mafia Scum
ironstove
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1101 (ISO) » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:25 am

Post by ironstove »

Thanks for hosting, I really need to work on how I play mafia. I'm surprised I didn't get lynched hehehe
ironstove
ironstove
Mafia Scum
ironstove
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1102 (ISO) » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:26 am

Post by ironstove »

And nice work TTTT, actually everyone in that slot played pretty well.
qubixes
qubixes
Goon
qubixes
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1103 (ISO) » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:39 am

Post by qubixes »

Well, I Moscow pinged me quite a bit, but I agree that emc and TTTT played really well. I don't think you played too badly either, though your switch onto my wagon was just pure evil scum haha.

I feel that Day 2 kind of fell apart when I failed to realize that mew was town. I was closer to that conclusion at some point than the thread suggested, but then I took a wrong turn and went with it 100% haha.

I didn't realize that alts were allowed to replace in either. It was pretty clear TTTT had a good amount in mafia though. I haven't reached lylo yet, but as scum it sounds like a real balancing act, and I think you did a great job at that. Given that I was making the same mew is town transition I couldn't scum read you haha. The only thing that pinged me was your threat towards mew not switching from his read on TD.
Mewtaph
Mewtaph
Mafia Scum
Mewtaph
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1104 (ISO) » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:17 pm

Post by Mewtaph »

Well played scum. I misplayed that at the end there, knowing that TD was town. Sorry for giving everyone a headache past D2.
TD's posts... confused me, and wasn't inherently scummy in of itself. I need to work on my reads...
I thought that TTTT-iron team had an opportunity to hammer me earlier, I shouldn't have made that assumption until I saw TTTT post afterwards. I did realise that TD unvoted immediately after iron voted but I didn't really understand why my claim would matter.
Novice played extremely well, he was really obvious town in the end there, and generally throughout the entire game.
I feel like Iron was a cruising slot and I wasn't sure what to do with it, going into it I was thinking that maybe I could look for players that have a shifty lynch preference with iron nearing the bottom (which is why I went hard on his noncommital lynch list directed to novice, but I should have pressed it further it seems) That post striked me as odd, and combined with the quick unvote, I was questioning whether Iron was actually town at this point, but I mostly chalked it up to Iron+TD. It seems I threw away most of towns chances of winning for town D2, unfortunately.

Yeah, I agree that I play incorrectly/OMGUS while being scum read, react/post not very well, and generally make it even harder for players to townread me after they scumread me, even as town. After D3, I noticed. Sorry qu.
I had no idea how I could put the RachMarie NK into my favour properly, I felt like it was WIFOM territory if I talked about it in thread, so I mostly kept an eye out for players that conveniently happened to have me on their scum list, since I was lynch bait at this point.

Thanks for modding the game, Cakez.
SirCakez
SirCakez
he/him
Is A Lie
SirCakez
he/him
Is A Lie
Is A Lie
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #1105 (ISO) » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:22 pm

Post by SirCakez »

Alts are generally allowed as long as they're not signing up in newbie slots and they tell the mod who they are or are at least approved by the list mods.

Alts can replace into newbie slots once the newbie priority time passes
Brian Skies - "
I just wanna say Cakez is an evil mod and this is an evil setup.
"

--------------------
Get to know a Cakez!
TTTT
TTTT
Jack of All Trades
TTTT
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1106 (ISO) » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:24 pm

Post by TTTT »

In post 1097, RachMarie wrote:TTT you clearly did a great job especially figuring out that I was the PR, as for that derp hammer, it really was a derp hammer. and uggh not one of my finest moments :(

Have I played with your main before?
Thanks!

Yes, we've played in a game together briefly, but I doubt you'd remember me. I'm a player of little consequence, and this was my first scum game.
TTTT
TTTT
Jack of All Trades
TTTT
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1107 (ISO) » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:29 pm

Post by TTTT »

In post 1104, Mewtaph wrote: I thought that TTTT-iron team had an opportunity to hammer me earlier,
Yep, but iron and I could never seem to be online at the same time. Then I went to bed literally five minutes before iron came on and voted you! I woke up and read this and kicked myself!
In post 1057, ironstove wrote:I spent a lot of time going through the past posts and last few pages. I've decided I'm sticking with my town read on TD, and after looking through his past games, I'm more sure of myself.

I'll go with him on this

VOTE: mew
In post 1058, TheDominator37 wrote:UNVOTE: mew
Still think he is mafia just weary of a quick lynch
RachMarie
RachMarie
HUGS ♥
RachMarie
HUGS ♥
HUGS ♥

Post Post #1108 (ISO) » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:30 pm

Post by RachMarie »

TTT I have been there :lol: It can be nervewracking when you and your scum bud have very different time zones and are trying to coordinate that 1 2 punch to win.
BRAND NEW Get to know me http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=69243
Like the phoenix I am rising from the ashes
chilledtea: We played bad on day 2 when we lynched rach.

YT Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0psF_ ... Jpw/videos
TTTT
TTTT
Jack of All Trades
TTTT
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1109 (ISO) » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:32 pm

Post by TTTT »

In post 1104, Mewtaph wrote:It seems I threw away most of towns chances of winning for town D2, unfortunately.
I think you are being a bit too hard on yourself. Yes, you made it easier for me to push a scumread on you that looked genuine to other players, but town's loss does not lay all at your feet. You were definitely getting better towards the end of the game.
novice259
novice259
Goon
novice259
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1110 (ISO) » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:50 pm

Post by novice259 »

aaaaaa we lost gg

Well played TTTT and iron, I never really suspected TTTT at all and iron just flew under the radar once I locked onto TD. Should have pushed them more I guess.

Thank you to everyone playing and to SirCakez for modding! It was a pretty interesting game for a newb, at times I felt like I was letting other peoples' reads cloud my own reads, so it was tough trying to sort out conf bias and stuff.
qubixes wrote:@novice: I think you played really quite well, and it was nice playing with you. Hope you stick around!
goodmorning wrote:novice definitely played well. I think I said something about that in the Dead Thread.
:oops: Thanks, I wasn't really sure if I was doing anything really helpful for town, I did think I was pretty obvious town but I was always worried I would say something stupid that would make everyone scumread me. Also I actually thought Mew was softing a BP claim in D2, which is why I never really suspected him.

Dead chat 25: hahaha yeah, at the time I didn't think that post was rolefishing, it was a classic newb error, now I know what not to do

I will definitely stick around, Mafia is a pretty interesting game. I am curious to know how you guys think I can improve my scumhunting game, I didn't have a clue of what to actually do.
goodmorning
goodmorning
Any
Survivor
goodmorning
Any
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1111 (ISO) » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:53 pm

Post by goodmorning »

Could've fooled me!

ironstove
ironstove
Mafia Scum
ironstove
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1112 (ISO) » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:37 pm

Post by ironstove »

My advice is that when you apply pressure onto someone and they don't provide a good response, then disappear it's generally a sign that you're on the right track. Most games I play, I will throw shade at everyone, to feel their reaction and it can be very surprising to scum if you suddenly are hard on the tracks of one person then you suddenly flip over to them. They generally begin to flounder and try to hide in the hopes that you will attack someone else.

If you do take them off, pay close attention to how they re-enter the game.
ironstove
ironstove
Mafia Scum
ironstove
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1113 (ISO) » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:41 pm

Post by ironstove »

Some people will have very poor reactions to posts you make of them, I generally don't like asking people questions to scum hunt. I think asking questions to people doesn't provide much pressure, and any bs answer can be thrown together by any decent player then they can pivot that same question over to another player. It's almost like playing hot potato, you ask me a seemingly tough question, I can do a figurative shoulder shrug and throw the question at someone else in a tactful manner then the spotlight is on an unprepared town player.

You throw a direct accusation at someone, they have light thrown on them, they can't run away or throw it on someone else. That looks suspicious FMPOV, so they need to respond or ignore you, but regardless of what they do, it immediately provides more read information than asking a question such as 'What are your thoughts on X happening?" or "What did you think about player Y's response to player Z?"

Questions to me, can be helpful because some scum players tend to give such blatantly bad responses that you catch them, but I find these same players tend to fail the rxn tests as well. And good scum players from my experience already have been asked and answered these questions so many times they'll have perfectly towny canned responses which will in turn make everyone including the person that asked the question, town read them.
goodmorning
goodmorning
Any
Survivor
goodmorning
Any
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1114 (ISO) » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:58 pm

Post by goodmorning »

sometimes people jjust disappear because they're busy tho

+ some people just react poorly under pressure regardless of alignment

ironstove
ironstove
Mafia Scum
ironstove
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1115 (ISO) » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:32 pm

Post by ironstove »

yea, every method has its pros and cons and things to be mindful of, I think you need to find out how you feel comfortable scum hunting for people, then look back on past games and look over responses you got from players in order to try to figure out if you can find tells on alignment... So overall just practice and review.
Mewtaph
Mewtaph
Mafia Scum
Mewtaph
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1116 (ISO) » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:59 pm

Post by Mewtaph »

In post 1079, TheDominator37 wrote:Wth mew. Why were you so scummy
I dunno... I'm interested to hear what pinged your scumdar.
Mewtaph
Mewtaph
Mafia Scum
Mewtaph
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1117 (ISO) » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:00 pm

Post by Mewtaph »

In post 1062, Mewtaph wrote:TD is not flipping town unless iron-TTTT or novice-TTTT is a scum team... not seeing it.
aaa :oops:
qubixes
qubixes
Goon
qubixes
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1118 (ISO) » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:39 pm

Post by qubixes »

@Mew: If you want my two cents.. :)

I think we can both learn something from our exchange at the end of D2. Calling people scum, when you're not actually strongly scum reading them as a reaction test that late in the game is (imo) just a really bad idea. I reread the start of your Day 1 when we were fighting in Day 2, and I was surprised how towny it looked. I really think your Day 1 was very good (except maybe the stuff on Iron..), and it almost wavered my conviction that you were scum. I'll admit that part of what made me suspicious of you was gm's read and thinking how she couldn't be wrong on every account... (sorry!)

If you want a couple of tips from a player that is not super experienced and gets lynched almost every time D1 or D2...

1. Be less hasty with your reads. If one moment you feel someone is definite scum and the next moment probably town, perhaps take a step back and admit you just don't know.
2. Take care about how much you post. I think at some points in the game you just posted too much, and it makes the job harder for town instead of easier. I felt at some points you were repeating others for a decent part. And you basically overloaded me with accusations and there was no way I could answer them all comprehensively. Instead try to focus on the parts that are the most important and give the one you accuse some breathing room (if you're not sure he/she is scum).
3. Worry less about what other people think of you. You don't have to justify not analyzing a scum team with you in it (for example).
4. Stop using pre-flip associations to figure out who is scum! I said it while I was in the game, but you're going to confbias pretty hard because of it, and they can't defend themselves against it.

That's about the tips I can give you. Hope it helps at least a little :). I enjoyed playing with you, even though the amount of posting was a little much for me at times haha. Hope you stick around as well!
Mewtaph
Mewtaph
Mafia Scum
Mewtaph
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1119 (ISO) » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:53 am

Post by Mewtaph »

@qubixes: Thanks for the tips, I agree with all of them. It was a blast playing with you. :]
goodmorning
goodmorning
Any
Survivor
goodmorning
Any
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1120 (ISO) » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:32 am

Post by goodmorning »

Oh, you'd be surprised how wrong I can be.

Sometimes, I read NewbPRs as Scum because they act really weird and secretive, and then whoops, PR.

Mewtaph
Mewtaph
Mafia Scum
Mewtaph
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1121 (ISO) » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:35 am

Post by Mewtaph »

In post 1109, TTTT wrote: I think you are being a bit too hard on yourself. Yes, you made it easier for me to push a scumread on you that looked genuine to other players, but town's loss does not lay all at your feet. You were definitely getting better towards the end of the game.
Haha yeah, I think that I'm at my worst when I'm writing small posts. Looks like at least partially walling with each post is the way to go, at least for me.
I definitely noticed how you pushed on my slot! I constantly felt during that lylo like I should have taken the opportunity to push you back harder, but I couldn't really find anything too scummy other than one or two posts during D3 alone. It was really tough, I felt like lynching TD was the simplest way to align myself and decide what to do afterwards because at this point I was expecting to decide between you/iron for last scum member after an expected novice NK. Wp.
Mewtaph
Mewtaph
Mafia Scum
Mewtaph
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1122 (ISO) » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:49 am

Post by Mewtaph »

In post 1118, qubixes wrote:I think we can both learn something from our exchange at the end of D2. Calling people scum, when you're not actually strongly scum reading them as a reaction test that late in the game is (imo) just a really bad idea. I reread the start of your Day 1 when we were fighting in Day 2, and I was surprised how towny it looked. I really think your Day 1 was very good (except maybe the stuff on Iron..), and it almost wavered my conviction that you were scum. I'll admit that part of what made me suspicious of you was gm's read and thinking how she couldn't be wrong on every account... (sorry!)
Yeah, I think you're right... gm's read gave me a false confidence that I was right even though it came from a replacement. Idk what I was even thinking when I opened with that post. Welp for that huge 72 hour extension and kind of just wanting Iron dead already. I messed around in ways I shouldn't have, and basically did a
bad
play rather than a creative play.
Mina
Mina
The Shipwright
Mina
The Shipwright
The Shipwright

Post Post #1123 (ISO) » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:36 pm

Post by Mina »

Goodbye.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”