[OLD] Open Setup Discussion and Nominations

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
Thok
Thok
Disgrace to SKs everywhere
Thok

Post Post #2400 (ISO) » Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:51 am

Post by Thok »

Mr. Flay wrote:It also could work because the Goons will drop some tells regarding the GF (think AITP).

Weird, but possible.
This is what I was thinking (also the whole goons are trying to stay alive thing is useful to remember.)

I'm valuing the godfather as roughly 1/2 a normal mafia member, and the town is fairly weak (remove the masons and the cop and the setup is pure vanilla which seems to favor scum.)

It's designed to be a weird setup.
I replaced into Chess Mafia for 6 months, and all I got was a win and this lousy sig.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2401 (ISO) » Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:58 am

Post by hasdgfas »

I think it's very interesting and I would probably play it if it was run.
jdodge1019: hasjghsalghsakljghs is from vermont
jdodge1019: vermont is made of liberal freaks and cows
jdodge1019: he's not a liberal
jdodge1019: thus he is a cow
Crazy
Crazy
Mafia Scum
Crazy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2402 (ISO) » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:28 am

Post by Crazy »

Maybe it would be best for the town to just make the masons claim day 1, and then kill them both.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #2403 (ISO) » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:11 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

Ugh, good point.
Retired as of October 2014.
gorckat
gorckat
Mafia Scum
gorckat
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2404 (ISO) » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:50 am

Post by gorckat »

Thok wrote:I don't know whether this idea works or not, and it probably needs tweaking.

Quagmire's Revenge

2 Mafia Goons
1 Cop
7 Vanilla townies
2 Amnesiac Masons: One is the mafia Godfather (investigation immune), one is a protown mason, neither knows which is which. Mafia knows who the Godfather is, but can't talk to him at night. Masons know that each other is a mason, and can talk at night (but don't know their roles.)

It's probably necessary for the theme to work that the Amnesiac Godfather can't submit a night kill. I don't know if you want to be an amnesiac mason.

Edit: it occurs to me that masons need to stop being amnesiac once the goons die for the game to be playable. So that's going to be added in.
Hmm....what about a Goon being neighbors (unconfirmed masons) with a townie, and the cop is a "Talk Cop" who only learns if a player can talk to others at night.

Or...

3 sets of Neighbors
0-1 Goon/Townie (33%)
0-1 Townie/Amnesiac GF (33%)
1-3 Townie/Townie

1 Cop
5-6 Townies

If GF is not a neighbor, he replaces a townie. Death does not reveal if a Townie or the GF could night talk.

ADD: This probably steers it right out of Normal, but throw in the townies voting for the investigation target, votes for the cop ignored. Everyone does something at night!
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #2405 (ISO) » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:50 am

Post by PokerFace »

gorckat wrote:neighbors (unconfirmed masons)
Behold the power of my nameing skills! Heh heh. I'll see if I can think of a good way for this setup to work aswell.
When I joined this site, I was a software tester for mobile business applications and the song PokerFace was not yet written by Lady Gaga
Now I test lottery and gambling software as my job. It's funny how my life has turned out. Somewhere a Time Traveler is laughing madly
Adel
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Crystalline Logick

Post Post #2406 (ISO) » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:21 pm

Post by Adel »

farside22 wrote:
dcorbe wrote:
hasdgfas wrote:
Adel wrote:
Lover Multiball

2 groups of 2 Lover Goons, Mafia A (4)
2 groups of 2 Lover Goons, Mafia B (4)
8 groups of 2 Townie Lovers (16)

should it be nightless with daytalking?
Nominate
and yes
Second!
Third
I wonder if Thesp remembers this
*hint*hint*
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #2407 (ISO) » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:18 pm

Post by PokerFace »

Ok I am no balance expert so feel free to shoot some holes in this as much as you want.

2 Mafia Goons
1 Cops
5 Vanilla townies with...

4 (2 sets of)
Anominous Amnesiac Neighbors
: Set 1 has GF and a townie, set 2 has two townies in it. They don't know who is who. They relay pms to each other through the mod or post under aliases on quick topic. I admit regulating this could be a bitch for the mod but since none of them knows they are the GF until all the mafia dies I doubt they'll be willing to use their real names anyway since they'd esentially be shooting themselves in the foot. Not sure if the mafia should be told who is involved in the neighbor group or not but the existance of multiple neighbors and them not knowing who each other is should regulate things somewhat. They can't claim and out each other for the win because they don't know who each other is 100% and they don't know if any of them are really scum. And having to figure out who your partner is can add to the fun while things will still come down to who is scum. Comments?
When I joined this site, I was a software tester for mobile business applications and the song PokerFace was not yet written by Lady Gaga
Now I test lottery and gambling software as my job. It's funny how my life has turned out. Somewhere a Time Traveler is laughing madly
Twomz
Twomz
Cliqued On
Twomz
Cliqued On
Cliqued On

Post Post #2408 (ISO) » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:06 pm

Post by Twomz »

Does the mafia know which one is the GF? Or does the kill against him fail?
"It's not a logical inconsistency. B can't be correct because then C would be, but it doesn't go the other way - there's nothing wrong with C being correct. Aside from Twomz saying otherwise." --Mith
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #2409 (ISO) » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:20 pm

Post by PokerFace »

...Not sure if the mafia should be told who is involved in the neighbor group or not but...
Mafia knowing who GF is, is debatable in my setup. Probably better they do know. The kill against him should probably fail otherwise I think.

The mafia knowing or finding out who the GF is can also add to the fun of the game because now the scum may need to change game plans. And having an aITP like element involved in the game would also be cool considering how scum connections are looked at both ways based on how and when players would need to distance and buddy up because alignments can change.
Last edited by PokerFace on Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #2410 (ISO) » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:35 pm

Post by Oman »

Nominate Baby Too Much Scum
It's unfortunate that good oral sex excuses bad chemistry. - Korts
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #2411 (ISO) » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:23 pm

Post by shaft.ed »

Question in MD came up of how to make a six player game. This seemed like it might be interesting:
Six or Half a Dozen wrote:2 maf
4 town

The mafia do not know eachother and each have a NK. But one of the two will auto kill their partner no matter who they target for NK. This effect is erased if one of the two mafia dies by either lynch or accidental crosskill.
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #2412 (ISO) » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:34 am

Post by PokerFace »

PokerFace wrote:Ok I am no balance expert so feel free to shoot some holes in this as much as you want.

2 Mafia Goons
1 Cops
5 Vanilla townies with...

4 (2 sets of)
Anominous Amnesiac Neighbors
: Set 1 has GF and a townie, set 2 has two 2 townies in it. They don't know who is who. They relay pms to each other through the mod or post under aliases on quick topic. I admit regulating this could be a bitch for the mod but since none of them knows they are the GF until all the mafia dies I doubt they'll be willing to use their real names anyway since they'd esentially be shooting themselves in the foot. Not sure if the mafia should be told who is involved in the neighbor group or not but the existance of multiple neighbors and them not knowing who each other is should regulate things somewhat. They can't claim and out each other for the win because they don't know who each other is 100% and they don't know if any of them are really scum. And having to figure out who your partner is can add to the fun while things will still come down to who is scum. Comments?
Another negotiable element would be 2 sets versus 4 members of one. I don't know which would work better, but I still think the animous idea would be rather useful in solving a few things especially with number of masons factoring into that.
iamausername
iamausername
Mafia Scum
iamausername
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2413 (ISO) » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:35 am

Post by iamausername »

shaft.ed wrote:Question in MD came up of how to make a six player game. This seemed like it might be interesting:
Six or Half a Dozen wrote:2 maf
4 town

The mafia do not know eachother and each have a NK. But one of the two will auto kill their partner no matter who they target for NK. This effect is erased if one of the two mafia dies by either lynch or accidental crosskill.
Do the town have any reason to lynch on D1?
Elapsam semel occasionem non ipse potest Iuppiter reprehendere
gorckat
gorckat
Mafia Scum
gorckat
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2414 (ISO) » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:42 am

Post by gorckat »

Yeah...it does seem like it mostly comes down to 3 town v 1 goon, so No-Lynch and have 2 v 1. Might as well do that from the start.

joke nominate: Endgame (2 townies vs 1 goon)
Prof. Guppy
Prof. Guppy
Goon
Prof. Guppy
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2415 (ISO) » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:50 am

Post by Prof. Guppy »

Nominate: Lyncher sans Mafia

1 lyncher, 5 townies.

I'm assuming you guys know what I mean here.
I am the Titan of Trivia. Just ask StrangerCoug. I am the champion of his Wipeout game. Find it here.

I have a perfect Mafia record. I've died in every game I've been in.
ooba
ooba
Jack of All Trades
ooba
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2416 (ISO) » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:19 am

Post by ooba »

I have a doubt regarding Jester Mafia (1 Jester,2 Mafia,9 townies) ..

If Mafia are lynched day 1 and 2 and jester is not killed by then - does this mean he gets a auto victory since town will have to lynch him? Or do i end the game there saying town wins because mafia are dead?
Seol
Seol
Logical Rampage
Seol
Logical Rampage
Logical Rampage

Post Post #2417 (ISO) » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:29 am

Post by Seol »

ooba wrote:I have a doubt regarding Jester Mafia (1 Jester,2 Mafia,9 townies) ..

If Mafia are lynched day 1 and 2 and jester is not killed by then - does this mean he gets a auto victory since town will have to lynch him? Or do i end the game there saying town wins because mafia are dead?
Town wins, jester loses.

edit: And ensure the win conditions are explicit that this happens, eg town win condition is "You win when all Mafia are dead", jester win condition is "You win when you are lynched, and lose if you are nightkilled or all Mafia are dead and you are still alive".
[i]The hungry maw of Twilight snaps, but shall not have its fill,
Until one man hangs by his neck, by half this curs'd town's will[/i]
ooba
ooba
Jack of All Trades
ooba
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2418 (ISO) » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:12 am

Post by ooba »

Seol wrote:
ooba wrote:I have a doubt regarding Jester Mafia (1 Jester,2 Mafia,9 townies) ..

Town wins, jester loses.

edit: And ensure the win conditions are explicit that this happens, eg town win condition is "You win when all Mafia are dead", jester win condition is "You win when you are lynched, and lose if you are nightkilled or all Mafia are dead and you are still alive".
Thank you ..
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #2419 (ISO) » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:46 am

Post by Oman »

Oman wrote:
Nominate Baby Too Much Scum
I think people misunderstand how good this setup is.
Max
Max
Mafia Scum
Max
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2420 (ISO) » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:05 am

Post by Max »

Jester-Lyncher Game

4 Vengeful Townies (1 target)
1 Lyncher-Jester

Lyncher Jester wins if he is lynched or his target is lynched. But loses if he is shot.
There will be at least 1 day could be 2.
Thesp
Thesp
Supersaint
Thesp
Supersaint
Supersaint

Post Post #2421 (ISO) » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:43 am

Post by Thesp »

People seem to enjoy the Lovers mechanic!

Lover Multiball and Baby Too Much Scum are going in now, to be followed by runs of the ever-popular Polygamists Mafia and Assassins in the Palace. Then we'll give those last two setups a rest for a while.
"When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning." -
Reiner Knizia

Ask me about my automatic votecounter, and how you can use it in
your
game!
Check out my 15 minutes of fame on Wait Wait...Don't Tell Me!
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #2422 (ISO) » Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:47 am

Post by Oman »

AITP is awesome because it turns your normal mafia play on its head. Speedlynching is good etc.
Lord Gurgi
Lord Gurgi
Mostly Harmless
Lord Gurgi
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post Post #2423 (ISO) » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:29 am

Post by Lord Gurgi »

Forgetful Mafia

Open set up, but players do not know night actions, only alignments. Each night the player sends a PM with a target to the Mod.

Players:
Role-switcher A
Role-switcher B
Role-switcher C
Vigilante
Serial Killer
Doctor
Role-Blocker
Nexus
Hider
Mafia Role-Blocker
Mafia Doctor
Impotent Mafia (Night ability does nothing)

Order of resolution of night actions:
1. Nexus
2. Role-Blockers
3. Role-Switchers
4. Hider
5. Doctors
6. Kills

I would recommend a day start, it's swingy (and dethy) enough without an extra night. Only people looking for a fun, and short, game should play.
(11:26:07 PM) thesheamuffin: I'm counting gurgi because I would probably make out with him if I were drunk enough
Simenon
Simenon
Entitled
Simenon
Entitled
Entitled

Post Post #2424 (ISO) » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:33 am

Post by Simenon »

SEND THE VECTOIDS

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”