Newbie 656 Game Over!

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
thinktank
thinktank
Goon
thinktank
Goon
Goon

Post Post #75 (ISO) » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:48 am

Post by thinktank »

Depends on the mod. Some mods set strict deadlines for each day phase, ie each day will consist of a max of three weeks, etc. If the mod doesn't set one, there isn't one currently however if the day does drag on for too long then the mod will probably set one.
Armlx: What has he done to make you think he's scum.
Mizzy: Other than not scumhunt, not post much as of late other than jokes and lurk a bit?

Oman: This is known as "doing a thinktank".
Fenchurch
Fenchurch
she/they
Mafia Scum
Fenchurch
she/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: she/they

Post Post #76 (ISO) » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:51 am

Post by Fenchurch »

Drifter wrote:is there a time limit for the day phase?
No, although if it were to go on for a very long time, or if there were a lack of posting activity, then the mod may impose a deadline (which will sometimes be extended if activity then picks up).

From reading through other games here, Day 1 can often be the longest. I'd expect maybe 10-15 pages of posting, and covering 2 or 3 weeks in real life.

You've probably heard it before, but longer days tend to be better for town. The more information there is to go on, the better. And even though on Day 1 itself there may not be a lot of solid evidence, often looking back on day 1 from later in the game, people's actions may take on new significance.
ShadowLurker
ShadowLurker
9 years old
ShadowLurker
9 years old
9 years old

Post Post #77 (ISO) » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:09 am

Post by ShadowLurker »

Drifter do you feel like explaining why you felt the need to claim on Page 2?
:sadtorch Ken Hoang, A.D/Fuzzie, Cameron Ferris, Taj Johnson-George, Annie Duke, Patti Blagojevich, Maria/Tiffany :sadtorch
:torch Tammy/Victor, Dan/Jordan
ShadowLurker
ShadowLurker
9 years old
ShadowLurker
9 years old
9 years old

Post Post #78 (ISO) » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:10 am

Post by ShadowLurker »

And then reclaim on Page 3?
:sadtorch Ken Hoang, A.D/Fuzzie, Cameron Ferris, Taj Johnson-George, Annie Duke, Patti Blagojevich, Maria/Tiffany :sadtorch
Drifter
Drifter
Townie
Drifter
Townie
Townie

Post Post #79 (ISO) » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:36 am

Post by Drifter »

i suggest reading the thread again to find out
chapter 5
chapter 5
Townie
chapter 5
Townie
Townie

Post Post #80 (ISO) » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:22 pm

Post by chapter 5 »

ShadowLurker wrote:And then reclaim on Page 3?
I think this is definitely significant. Why would anybody, nevertheless a silly townie, feel the need to wear their heart on their skins? I don't know why a townie would want to outright
brag
about it.
RandomGem
RandomGem
Goon
RandomGem
Goon
Goon

Post Post #81 (ISO) » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:53 pm

Post by RandomGem »

Reread the thread...
ShadowLurker wrote:I was just going by chapter 5 not being bolded in the first post >_> <_<
And he's still not bolded. :P
Fenchurch wrote:
RandomGem wrote:No comments on my lurking?
Yes: stop lurking :P
If you're not sure what to post, then: what are your thoughts on Drifter's bandwagon suggestion? And the subsequent backlash from lifeofpie and Sion? ShadowLurker's aggressive playing? And anything else that strikes you as noteworthy?
Aww, but lurking is soooo fun...
The bandwagon suggestion and the following bandwagon seemed only to be a joke to me, and not completely relevant and by no means any scumtell.
Drifter wrote:I started the bandwagon to try and get some reactions really, thought it could only help the townies, and to be fair it did get some varied reactions.
Oh wait, never mind. Apparently, it was done for a strategic reason.
This is similar to owsianko's apparently random vote on lifeofpie (post 23) that he backed down from and said was to test for a reaction (post 28). This backing down from what IMO should really be a random vote with even a little pressure is a bit suspicious to me.
---
As for ShadowLurker's aggressiveness, it seems fitting for an IC, but on the other hand, he seems to have missed certain things in the thread, so I do not believe it is quite fitting.
This is a sig. It has nothing funny or witty in it.
NabakovNabakov
NabakovNabakov
LalitaLalita
NabakovNabakov
LalitaLalita
LalitaLalita

Post Post #82 (ISO) » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:01 pm

Post by NabakovNabakov »

Vote Count as of Post 81

lifeofpie (2):
thinktank, owsianko

Drifter (2):
lifeofpie, Sion

thinktank (2):
Drifter, ShadowLurker

Sion (1):
Fenchurch

Not voting (2)
Chapter 5, RandomGem
Last edited by NabakovNabakov on Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Show
"Shut up!" one woman shouted at another.

"You shut up!" the second woman shouted back.

"I agree with NN"
-Yosarian2
thinktank
thinktank
Goon
thinktank
Goon
Goon

Post Post #83 (ISO) » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:06 pm

Post by thinktank »

Random voting stage seems to be drawing to a close.

unvote
Mizzy: Other than not scumhunt, not post much as of late other than jokes and lurk a bit?

RandomGem
RandomGem
Goon
RandomGem
Goon
Goon

Post Post #84 (ISO) » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:03 pm

Post by RandomGem »

thinktank wrote:Random voting stage seems to be drawing to a close.
Yay. :D
I have a question - It seems to be the norm to reveal your opinions and suspicions of people; however, this could just tip scum off on what they are doing wrong, or can give them an easy target to kill. So why is it a good idea to do this?
This is a sig. It has nothing funny or witty in it.
ShadowLurker
ShadowLurker
9 years old
ShadowLurker
9 years old
9 years old

Post Post #85 (ISO) » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:37 pm

Post by ShadowLurker »

RandomGem wrote:
thinktank wrote:Random voting stage seems to be drawing to a close.
Yay. :D
I have a question - It seems to be the norm to reveal your opinions and suspicions of people; however, this could just tip scum off on what they are doing wrong, or can give them an easy target to kill. So why is it a good idea to do this?
As most things that you would find against someone aren't things they can correct; they've already happened. Even if you point out anti-town things and the scum correct it, you are forcing them to help town more. However, you are right in that you don't reveal everything you are necessarily thinking, especially when you are fishing for a reaction or trying to confirm a certain hunch.
ShadowLurker
ShadowLurker
9 years old
ShadowLurker
9 years old
9 years old

Post Post #86 (ISO) » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:37 pm

Post by ShadowLurker »

Also Drifter, did you really think you were in danger of being lynched on page 3?
ShadowLurker
ShadowLurker
9 years old
ShadowLurker
9 years old
9 years old

Post Post #87 (ISO) » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:38 pm

Post by ShadowLurker »

On page 3, you indicated this was a vanilla townie claim by saying you were reaffirming your claim.

Why would you claim at this point? You gave no reason at all.
Drifter wrote:wel being a townie it wouldn't be the best thing to do for the team.

just seeing if this works

vote thinktank
Drifter
Drifter
Townie
Drifter
Townie
Townie

Post Post #88 (ISO) » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:28 pm

Post by Drifter »

look im not going to go into details, u can speculate on the reasons all you want, its fine. I'm not under any pressure here.
Fenchurch
Fenchurch
she/they
Mafia Scum
Fenchurch
she/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #89 (ISO) » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:43 am

Post by Fenchurch »

Drifter wrote:look im not going to go into details, u can speculate on the reasons all you want, its fine. I'm not under any pressure here.
Drifter, just as advice, it really does help to explain your actions here, especially when you have been specifically requested to do so. Telling us to speculate is just inviting us to draw conclusions that the motivation was scummy. It implies that you don't have a non-scummy reason to give, and that's why you can't tell us.

If you are pro-town, then being honest about your behaviour is almost always the best tactic, even if it means admitting that you may have made a mistake.

I say this, because my feeling is that most of you attacking Drifter are barking up the wrong tree. To me, his actions come off as newbie town more than they do scum.

Drifter, have you played forum mafia before on other websites, and if so, how does it compare to this one?
Fenchurch
Fenchurch
she/they
Mafia Scum
Fenchurch
she/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #90 (ISO) » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:59 am

Post by Fenchurch »

RandomGem wrote:Oh wait, never mind. Apparently, it was done for a strategic reason.
This is similar to owsianko's apparently random vote on lifeofpie (post 23) that he backed down from and said was to test for a reaction (post 28). This backing down from what IMO should really be a random vote with even a little pressure is a bit suspicious to me.
---
As for ShadowLurker's aggressiveness, it seems fitting for an IC, but on the other hand, he seems to have missed certain things in the thread, so I do not believe it is quite fitting.
Good points here. I agree that owsianko's "random" voting could be a bit suspicious, although he hasn't posted enough to draw any other conclusions yet. In NabNab's post 57 it says that owsianko has requested a replacement, and part of me would love to leap to conclusions about scum players frustrated about the lack of a quicklynch.. but I know that's insensible, and there are lots of other potential/personal reasons. Anyway, I'm not sure if it is still the case, and it doesn't seem to have been posted in the Newbie Queue thread.

FoS: owsianko

owsianko, if you are still here, could you post something about what you think of the game so far?

My other suspect is still Sion, who hasn't posted a lot either, apart from an opportunistic-looking vote on Drifter's bandwagon. Sion says that bandwagons are bad, yet seems quite happy to bandwagon Drifter. (I'm aware that lifeofpie was also on the bandwagon, but with the first vote, and a more fully-explained reason.) Sion, would you post some more, too? I notice your vote is still on Drifter, do you still think he is the best lynch for the day?
Drifter
Drifter
Townie
Drifter
Townie
Townie

Post Post #91 (ISO) » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:28 am

Post by Drifter »

okay wel iv played mafia before but not online. I role claimed because I thought there was a time limit on the day phase and I was in line to be lynched. Now I'm not going to say anymore because I want to keep my role ambiguous to the Mafia.
Fenchurch
Fenchurch
she/they
Mafia Scum
Fenchurch
she/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #92 (ISO) » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:17 am

Post by Fenchurch »

Drifter wrote:okay wel iv played mafia before but not online. I role claimed because I thought there was a time limit on the day phase and I was in line to be lynched. Now I'm not going to say anymore because I want to keep my role ambiguous to the Mafia.
That's fair enough, but bear in mind that even though you might want your role to be ambiguous to scum, you don't want it to be ambiguous to town as well (and by "ambiguous", I mean scummy). I guess what I mean is, I think the worst of the damage is already done, and your best bet now is to be open about your moves.

Incidentally, the convention I've seen with role claiming is to only call for it when someone is at L-1 and there is another player willing to place the lynching vote. Even then some players are opposed to role claiming. Not really relevant right now, but something to bear in mind for the future.
Sion
Sion
Townie
Sion
Townie
Townie

Post Post #93 (ISO) » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:26 am

Post by Sion »

Fenchurch makes a good point.
Unvote
I suppose.
thinktank
thinktank
Goon
thinktank
Goon
Goon

Post Post #94 (ISO) » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:28 am

Post by thinktank »

Yes, you generally claim when you are a L-1 because in most cases that's probably the only thing that's will to save you.

Fenchurch
Fenchurch
she/they
Mafia Scum
Fenchurch
she/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #95 (ISO) » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:52 am

Post by Fenchurch »

thinktank wrote:Yes, you generally claim when you are a L-1 because in most cases that's probably the only thing that's will to save you.
And even then, it might not :wink:
Depends on the circumstances really.
Although while we're on the subject, I'd like to mention that it is never beneficial for a townie to fake-claim a power role. Not that anyone here seems crazy enough to do it (I've only seen it happen in a couple of games), but just in case. If the town wins the game, all townies win the game, whether they are alive, or got lynched, or got night-killed.

Anyway, that's enough gameplay theory for now. More accusations needed! Sion, thanks for checking in, and I see you have decided to take your vote off Drifter. Do you have any ideas as to where you might place it next? Or thoughts about the game in general?
thinktank
thinktank
Goon
thinktank
Goon
Goon

Post Post #96 (ISO) » Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:36 am

Post by thinktank »

If you are a vanilla, then yea just claim vanilla under L_1, but if you're vanilla claiming a power role is possibly the worst thing you can do for the town. Yea, Fenchurch makes a good point, its a team game, if you are town, and town wins you still win regardless of whether you're dead or alive. Same goes for scum.

lifeofpie
lifeofpie
Townie
lifeofpie
Townie
Townie

Post Post #97 (ISO) » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:39 am

Post by lifeofpie »

What's L_1?

If you don't like macs, tough luck.
Fenchurch
Fenchurch
she/they
Mafia Scum
Fenchurch
she/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #98 (ISO) » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:57 am

Post by Fenchurch »

lifeofpie wrote:What's L_1?
It means there is just one more vote needed to lynch you. So basically, as close as you can come without it being too late.
Fenchurch
Fenchurch
she/they
Mafia Scum
Fenchurch
she/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #99 (ISO) » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:02 am

Post by Fenchurch »

Fenchurch wrote:
lifeofpie wrote:What's L_1?
It means there is just one more vote needed to lynch you. So basically, as close as you can come without it being too late.
Oh, and it's especially helpful to be aware of the number of votes away from lynch in situations where the mafia are close to outnumbering the townies (known as LyLo, or "lynch or lose").

For instance, if there were 3 townies left and 2 scum, and one townie then placed a vote on another, both scum would have the opportunity to pile on and instantly win the game.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”