Newbie 656 Game Over!

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
chapter 5
chapter 5
Townie
chapter 5
Townie
Townie
Happy Birthday!

Post Post #125 (ISO) » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:11 pm

Post by chapter 5 »

Artem wrote:Also, chapter 5 still owes us an explanation for his/her vote.
Indeed I do.

I think it's Fenchurch. The entire game so far, Fenchurch has spent the game guiding the town in terms of letting them know what exactly are town and scum tells. Personally, I think such tells are a bit ambiguous; naturally these can be accepted as generalities but to regard many of the things as truisms reeks of guidance and scum trying to act as town.

Not to mention I think she's been a little *too* active. Active to the point where I feel like every post is posted for the sake of posting and not for actually contributing.
RandomGem
RandomGem
Goon
RandomGem
Goon
Goon

Post Post #126 (ISO) » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:31 pm

Post by RandomGem »

Artem wrote:@RandomGem: so, suppose your self-vote was a newbie doing the unusual move. What was the point of calling yourself out for lurking?
Meh. My defense is that I don't have one, since I didn't really have a reason to do it. (I did think I was lurking because I would read the post then not say anything because I had nothing to say, so then I admitted it.)

Upon chapter 5's explanation, I made a (very very) quick scan. Fenchurch, I have found a
random gem
avatar to comply with your wishes. :wink:
I've got stuff to say about your reasoning, but I think I'll wait for Fenchurch first.
This is a sig. It has nothing funny or witty in it.
Fenchurch
Fenchurch
she/they
Mafia Scum
Fenchurch
she/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: she/they

Post Post #127 (ISO) » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:59 pm

Post by Fenchurch »

chapter 5 wrote:I think it's Fenchurch. The entire game so far, Fenchurch has spent the game guiding the town in terms of letting them know what exactly are town and scum tells. Personally, I think such tells are a bit ambiguous; naturally these can be accepted as generalities but to regard many of the things as truisms reeks of guidance and scum trying to act as town.

Not to mention I think she's been a little *too* active. Active to the point where I feel like every post is posted for the sake of posting and not for actually contributing.
Firstly, yes I have been posting a lot, but that's because I'm interested in the game and in playing it. I don't see how this makes me scum any more than town. Is it silly to say that, in order for there to be a game,
someone
has got to post? I understand what you are suggesting about only posting when you've got something definite to say, but I think that there will also be a lot of times when no one is certain about anything, and at those times the game would be liable to stagnate. This is one of the reasons why I have been so active in asking others to post their thoughts, as well.

And although I have been expressing my opinions a lot, that does not mean I am expecting others to adopt them. I genuinely want to hear what other people think. I maintain that not posting, whilst not a scum-tell perhaps, is definitely not pro-town, because it stops other players from getting any kind of read on your behaviour.

I'm not saying that my involvement has always been good - whilst I have spent time reading other games, obviously I don't have experience in actually posting, so there are lots of things I need to learn. Artem gave a good reason for not defending other players, and that is one thing I will have to hold off doing in future.

Reading back, I can see what you mean about "guiding", in that I have talked openly about some things that are bad moves, like fakeclaims, and self-voting. This is just because I have seen newbie townies get lynched in several other games for committing what are, supposedly, obvious scum-tells. I've been explicit about it because don't want a waste a lynch on silly behaviour that is, in my eyes, just as likely to stem from inexperience as from scumminess.

As for regarding certain scum-tells as truisms though, I'm not sure where I've done that - I'd say if anything, I've been too lenient on people for some supposed scum-tells.

It seems a little like you are accusing me of being scum just because I have been "acting town". And that's frustrating, because if that's the case,
how do you expect a townie to act
?
Fenchurch
Fenchurch
she/they
Mafia Scum
Fenchurch
she/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #128 (ISO) » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:56 am

Post by Fenchurch »

Fenchurch wrote:As for regarding certain scum-tells as truisms though, I'm not sure where I've done that - I'd say if anything, I've been too lenient on people for some supposed scum-tells.
Coming back to this: I suppose the thing that I have been pushing, and which I know that chapter 5 disagrees with, is my claim that not posting is anti-town-like behaviour. Not
un
-town-like; not necessarily a scum-tell - although I admit that I have sometimes been speculating this as well.

Hmm. I suppose one of the reasons that I have been pushing it so avidly, is that it feels like it might otherwise be too easy to forget. Everyone will busily pick out scummy things in the words of people who have posted, whilst completely forgetting about those who haven't. Maybe I'm worrying unnecessarily, I don't know.

Anyway.. it doesn't mean that I'm happy to disregard players who have posted, and I'm definitely not saying that posting, in and of itself, is a sign of being pro-town. I guess what I'd like, ideally, is for everyone to have posted a fair amount, then there would be a level playing field to judge people on.

To put it in an extreme example, if there were two players, one who had posted something slightly scummy, and one who had posted almost nothing, I'd be reluctant about reaching a conclusion that the first one was the the most scummy, since the second had escaped analysis by avoiding to reveal anything about themselves.
Fenchurch
Fenchurch
she/they
Mafia Scum
Fenchurch
she/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #129 (ISO) » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:59 am

Post by Fenchurch »

RandomGem wrote:Upon chapter 5's explanation, I made a (very very) quick scan. Fenchurch, I have found a
random gem
avatar to comply with your wishes. :wink:
It is appreciated :)
lifeofpie
lifeofpie
Townie
lifeofpie
Townie
Townie

Post Post #130 (ISO) » Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:02 am

Post by lifeofpie »

Artem wrote:Not saying this is what's happening in this situation, but the problem with answering for other players is giving them ideas, which they may sometimes happily adopt. As such, the behavior should be discouraged.

For example, if RandomGem didn't already state that his vote was a joke in 113, I could point out that lifeofpie gave him the idea in 117.

@RandomGem: so, suppose your self-vote was a newbie doing the unusual move. What was the point of calling yourself out for lurking?
Ah, point taken.

Where has Sion gone?

If you don't like macs, tough luck.
RandomGem
RandomGem
Goon
RandomGem
Goon
Goon

Post Post #131 (ISO) » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:03 am

Post by RandomGem »

lifeofpie wrote:
Artem wrote:Not saying this is what's happening in this situation, but the problem with answering for other players is giving them ideas, which they may sometimes happily adopt. As such, the behavior should be discouraged.

For example, if RandomGem didn't already state that his vote was a joke in 113, I could point out that lifeofpie gave him the idea in 117.

@RandomGem: so, suppose your self-vote was a newbie doing the unusual move. What was the point of calling yourself out for lurking?
Ah, point taken.

Where has Sion gone?
Where have our IC's (thinktank and ShadowLurker) gone? I thought Fenchurch was the IC until I looked back...
thinktank
thinktank
Goon
thinktank
Goon
Goon

Post Post #132 (ISO) » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:03 pm

Post by thinktank »

RandomGem wrote:
thinktank wrote:Random voting stage seems to be drawing to a close.
Yay. :D
I have a question - It seems to be the norm to reveal your opinions and suspicions of people; however, this could just tip scum off on what they are doing wrong, or can give them an easy target to kill. So why is it a good idea to do this?
Revealing some stuff is good while revealing other stuff is bad and you have to use your judgment on whats going to benefit the town and what will benefit the scum. For example, its good to discuss suspicions of people because it brings more evidence and tangible stuff to analyze. Publishing things such as asking for who you think is the most town player is bad, because then it gives scum the consensus of who the town thinks is towny and can lead to bad situations.

Drifter's reason for the claim seems to be genuine and at the moment I'm not agreeing with the arguments made against him. Based on what he has said, the argument and logic for his lynch seems little more than opportunistic.
Armlx: What has he done to make you think he's scum.
Mizzy: Other than not scumhunt, not post much as of late other than jokes and lurk a bit?

Oman: This is known as "doing a thinktank".
NabakovNabakov
NabakovNabakov
LalitaLalita
NabakovNabakov
LalitaLalita
LalitaLalita

Post Post #133 (ISO) » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:08 pm

Post by NabakovNabakov »

Vote Count as of Post 132
Vote Count as of Post 120 wrote:
Drifter (2):
lifeofpie, ShadowLurker

thinktank (1):
Drifter

Sion (1):
Fenchurch

RandomGem (1):
Artem

Fenchurch (1):
Chapter 5

Not voting (3)
RandomGem, thinktank, Sion
Show
"Shut up!" one woman shouted at another.

"You shut up!" the second woman shouted back.

"I agree with NN"
-Yosarian2
Drifter
Drifter
Townie
Drifter
Townie
Townie

Post Post #134 (ISO) » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:59 am

Post by Drifter »

Nabakov are you imposing a deadline for day 1?
ShadowLurker
ShadowLurker
9 years old
ShadowLurker
9 years old
9 years old

Post Post #135 (ISO) » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:27 am

Post by ShadowLurker »

The reason my vote is Drifter is that while normally I would consider his actions newbietown (the early claim) but these two posts were very aggressive behavior which I don't think I've ever seen after someone claims early (and I've only seen newbietown do that)
Drifter wrote:i suggest reading the thread again to find out
Drifter wrote:look im not going to go into details, u can speculate on the reasons all you want, its fine. I'm not under any pressure here.
Also, I really don't like the fact Drifter seems to constantly want a deadline. We have good activity right now, double the pages of my other newbie game which only started slightly later, and deadlines are rarely helpful to the town.

I don't like Artem's post 107, not only are four players FoSed, he mentions the cop which is fishing, and votes RandomGem for what I find to be a crappy reason considering RandomGem has made many other contributions and it's obvious his self voting was just to stir up discussion in the early game.

lifeofpie's post 110 is very odd. Usually it's a newbie scumtell to see someone talking for someone else, but lifeofpie responds to the entire post despite the fact he is not mentioned before giving anybody else a chance to. I also note that that is his longest post so far in the game and he chooses to respond to
only
Artem. If either one of them comes up scum, then I think a very close examination of the other is warranted.

chapter 5 seems a little bit misguided but I don't think he/she is scum. Guiding the town and activity are certainly not really scum or town tells, but going out on a limb like that is something I find a townieaction.

Right now I would be comfortable voting anyone of Drifter, lifeofpie, and Artem with Artem slightly lower than the other two on the list.
:sadtorch Ken Hoang, A.D/Fuzzie, Cameron Ferris, Taj Johnson-George, Annie Duke, Patti Blagojevich, Maria/Tiffany :sadtorch
:torch Tammy/Victor, Dan/Jordan
Fenchurch
Fenchurch
she/they
Mafia Scum
Fenchurch
she/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #136 (ISO) » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:44 am

Post by Fenchurch »

Okay, it turns out that holding off posting for a while did not cause me to have any sudden revelations about the game.

Drifter, NabakovNabakov may or may not notice your question as it is: in general it is best to use bold tags when addressing the mod. They may well be moderating several games at once, and so it enables them to skim the threads for votes and messages directed at them, without having to read every single post. And on that topic,

Mod: Please can we get a prod on on Sion?
and ShadowLurker
< I see he has posted whilst I was typing :)

And now, questions.

chapter 5, as another player who hasn't posted a lot, how do you feel about Sion? Do you think his motivations for not posting are the same as yours? I'm not sure if you are still finding me the scummiest player, but even if you are, there would still be one other scum out there for you to identify.

thinktank, you have posted a fair amount, but they are mainly in the role of IC answering questions, and you haven't made any votes since your random one. Do you have any comments about the game, besides Drifter and his claim?

Drifter, you have the second highest postcount in the game so far (haha.. guess who is first), but haven't really questioned other players, or made accusations. I realise that a number of your posts may have been twken defending yourself.. but since then you have asked a couple of times about deadlines, despite not having expressed suspicions of anyone in the game. Do you want a deadline? And if there was one, who would you be choosing to vote for?

And I'm sorry, since I know I've been criticised for directing the game, and for cluttering up the thread without adding much content. However, I can't imagine people volunteering the answers to these questions without me asking, so I hope it is understandable. And equally, I would be happy to answer any questions directed at me.
RandomGem
RandomGem
Goon
RandomGem
Goon
Goon

Post Post #137 (ISO) » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:40 pm

Post by RandomGem »

ShadowLurker wrote:I don't like Artem's post 107, not only are four players FoSed, he mentions the cop which is fishing, and votes RandomGem for what I find to be a crappy reason considering RandomGem has made many other contributions and
it's obvious his self voting was just to stir up discussion in the early game.
Actually, I have to say that though I considered that my self voting might have been met with some reaction, I did it primarily as a joke inspired by the mod saying you could vote for yourself.
Fenchurch wrote:Okay, it turns out that holding off posting for a while did not cause me to have any sudden revelations about the game.
But when you stopped talking, everyone else did too. :P
Fenchurch wrote:And I'm sorry, since I know I've been criticised for directing the game, and for cluttering up the thread without adding much content. However, I can't imagine people volunteering the answers to these questions without me asking, so I hope it is understandable. And equally, I would be happy to answer any questions directed at me.
I think it's good that you're directing in game, in place of the typical role of the IC's (*ahem*). Unless, of course, you turn out to be scum, in which case it's very bad. :x
thinktank
thinktank
Goon
thinktank
Goon
Goon

Post Post #138 (ISO) » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:35 pm

Post by thinktank »

I think Shadowlurker makes some excellent arguments.

Looking back at Drifter's statements. Shadowlurker seems to be on the money. A drifter lynch would definitely be a possibility.

On Artem, I am also agree with Shadowlurker. That last Artem post wreaks of suspicion.

At the moment my two picks for today's lynch are Artem and Drifter. At this point Drifter ranks higher on the scum meter but all this is subject to change on what happens in the next few pages.
Mizzy: Other than not scumhunt, not post much as of late other than jokes and lurk a bit?

Artem
Artem
Mafia Scum
Artem
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #139 (ISO) » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:18 pm

Post by Artem »

ShadowLurker wrote:The reason my vote is Drifter is that while normally I would consider his actions newbietown (the early claim) but these two posts were very aggressive behavior which I don't think I've ever seen after someone claims early (and I've only seen newbietown do that)
Yea, but have you seen newbies haphazardly trying to cover up their mistakes? On the other hand...

Drifter: why are you trying to cover up your vanilla claim? You're not helping the town and you can't exactly fool the scum; they already know your alignment.
ShadowLurker wrote: Also, I really don't like the fact Drifter seems to constantly want a deadline. We have good activity right now, double the pages of my other newbie game which only started slightly later, and deadlines are rarely helpful to the town.
I'm not seeing where he's asking for a deadline. I'm seeing where he's wondering if there is a deadline, but given his vote lead, that's kind of understandable, don't you think?
ShadowLurker wrote: I don't like Artem's post 107, not only are four players FoSed, he mentions the cop which is fishing, and votes RandomGem for what I find to be a crappy reason considering RandomGem has made many other contributions and it's obvious his self voting was just to stir up discussion in the early game.
And what's wrong with FoSing four people after doing my read-through? Also, why is it that when somebody even as much as uses the words "cop" or "doc", somebody else immediately jumps on them yelling "FISHING!". Did you even read the point I was making or do you honestly expect the real cop to come out and claim after reading my post?

So, my reason for voting RandomGem is crappy and your vote for Drifter is well-justified. Well, that's nice considering you're voting him because he's exhibiting a behavior you've never seen before.

Sure, I also suspect Drifter, but that's because I think he had some sort of a slip in #72 (I sill haven't seen the answer to my question about him saying that he's not apologizing to us if he's scum) and because he's trying to backpedal on his claim as if scum realizing they made some sort of a mistake.

I also don't understand what you are referring to by RandomGem's "many other contributions". Looking over his posts, all I'm seeing are some questions, joke comments and a brief FoS of owsianko's vote/unvote and your aggressiveness. Then I come along and put some pressure on him so he's also got a few defense posts. He's done no scumhunting other than to call himself out for lurking. He's also one of the three currently not voting, the other two being a lurker/inactive player and a guy that agrees with everything you've said so far a 100%. RandomGem looks to me like a player who's just coasting along. Still think my reasons are crappy?

As far as chapter 5 and lifeofpie, I don't find them as suspicious as RandomGem and Sion (who is either lurking or abandoned the game).
Fenchurch wrote: thinktank, you have posted a fair amount, but they are mainly in the role of IC answering questions, and you haven't made any votes since your random one. Do you have any comments about the game, besides Drifter and his claim?
thinktank wrote:I think Shadowlurker makes some excellent arguments.

Looking back at Drifter's statements. Shadowlurker seems to be on the money. A drifter lynch would definitely be a possibility.

On Artem, I am also agree with Shadowlurker. That last Artem post wreaks of suspicion.

At the moment my two picks for today's lynch are Artem and Drifter. At this point Drifter ranks higher on the scum meter but all this is subject to change on what happens in the next few pages.
Ok. "I agree with everything Shadowlurker said. Let's lynch." while not voting yourself is not only a content-less post but it also reeks of scum keeping their options open and not wanting to get their hands dirty.
FoS: Thinktank
chapter 5
chapter 5
Townie
chapter 5
Townie
Townie
Happy Birthday!

Post Post #140 (ISO) » Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:05 pm

Post by chapter 5 »

Fenchurch wrote:
chapter 5 wrote:I think it's Fenchurch. The entire game so far, Fenchurch has spent the game guiding the town in terms of letting them know what exactly are town and scum tells. Personally, I think such tells are a bit ambiguous; naturally these can be accepted as generalities but to regard many of the things as truisms reeks of guidance and scum trying to act as town.

Firstly, yes I have been posting a lot, but that's because I'm interested in the game and in playing it. I don't see how this makes me scum any more than town. Is it silly to say that, in order for there to be a game,
someone
has got to post? I understand what you are suggesting about only posting when you've got something definite to say, but I think that there will also be a lot of times when no one is certain about anything, and at those times the game would be liable to stagnate. This is one of the reasons why I have been so active in asking others to post their thoughts, as well.

And although I have been expressing my opinions a lot, that does not mean I am expecting others to adopt them. I genuinely want to hear what other people think. I maintain that not posting, whilst not a scum-tell perhaps, is definitely not pro-town, because it stops other players from getting any kind of read on your behaviour.

I'm not saying that my involvement has always been good - whilst I have spent time reading other games, obviously I don't have experience in actually posting, so there are lots of things I need to learn. Artem gave a good reason for not defending other players, and that is one thing I will have to hold off doing in future.

Reading back, I can see what you mean about "guiding", in that I have talked openly about some things that are bad moves, like fakeclaims, and self-voting. This is just because I have seen newbie townies get lynched in several other games for committing what are, supposedly, obvious scum-tells. I've been explicit about it because don't want a waste a lynch on silly behaviour that is, in my eyes, just as likely to stem from inexperience as from scumminess.

As for regarding certain scum-tells as truisms though, I'm not sure where I've done that - I'd say if anything, I've been too lenient on people for some supposed scum-tells.

It seems a little like you are accusing me of being scum just because I have been "acting town". And that's frustrating, because if that's the case,
how do you expect a townie to act
?
This post is pretty much exactly what I mean when I say she posts for the sake of posting. This is all fluff extended into like 8 or 9 paragraphs. I'm like 90% confident you're scum, now.
Fenchurch
Fenchurch
she/they
Mafia Scum
Fenchurch
she/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #141 (ISO) » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:42 pm

Post by Fenchurch »

chapter 5 wrote:This post is pretty much exactly what I mean when I say she posts for the sake of posting. This is all fluff extended into like 8 or 9 paragraphs. I'm like 90% confident you're scum, now.
So, giving you the reasons for my actions, which you have accused of being scummy, is "posting for the sake of posting"?

I'm sorry that it's not concise, but in a game where our words are the sole indicator of our alliance, I don't want to leave mine open to misinterpretation, so I err on the side of caution: an overexplanation rather than an underexplanation.

It has taken you 3 days to respond to that post. Is that how often you check the thread, or did you just choose to wait?
Drifter
Drifter
Townie
Drifter
Townie
Townie

Post Post #142 (ISO) » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:54 am

Post by Drifter »

lifeofpie wrote:You have to help it along if you want a bandwagon.
unlynch

lynch life of pie

I used to think this was a bit of a townie action, but you posted this only a couple of minutes after I suggested a bandwagon, so it looks more like you were trying to buy townie points.
thinktank
thinktank
Goon
thinktank
Goon
Goon

Post Post #143 (ISO) » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:45 am

Post by thinktank »

Artem wrote:
ShadowLurker wrote:The reason my vote is Drifter is that while normally I would consider his actions newbietown (the early claim) but these two posts were very aggressive behavior which I don't think I've ever seen after someone claims early (and I've only seen newbietown do that)
Yea, but have you seen newbies haphazardly trying to cover up their mistakes? On the other hand...

Drifter: why are you trying to cover up your vanilla claim? You're not helping the town and you can't exactly fool the scum; they already know your alignment.
ShadowLurker wrote: Also, I really don't like the fact Drifter seems to constantly want a deadline. We have good activity right now, double the pages of my other newbie game which only started slightly later, and deadlines are rarely helpful to the town.
I'm not seeing where he's asking for a deadline. I'm seeing where he's wondering if there is a deadline, but given his vote lead, that's kind of understandable, don't you think?
ShadowLurker wrote: I don't like Artem's post 107, not only are four players FoSed, he mentions the cop which is fishing, and votes RandomGem for what I find to be a crappy reason considering RandomGem has made many other contributions and it's obvious his self voting was just to stir up discussion in the early game.
And what's wrong with FoSing four people after doing my read-through? Also, why is it that when somebody even as much as uses the words "cop" or "doc", somebody else immediately jumps on them yelling "FISHING!". Did you even read the point I was making or do you honestly expect the real cop to come out and claim after reading my post?

So, my reason for voting RandomGem is crappy and your vote for Drifter is well-justified. Well, that's nice considering you're voting him because he's exhibiting a behavior you've never seen before.

Sure, I also suspect Drifter, but that's because I think he had some sort of a slip in #72 (I sill haven't seen the answer to my question about him saying that he's not apologizing to us if he's scum) and because he's trying to backpedal on his claim as if scum realizing they made some sort of a mistake.

I also don't understand what you are referring to by RandomGem's "many other contributions". Looking over his posts, all I'm seeing are some questions, joke comments and a brief FoS of owsianko's vote/unvote and your aggressiveness. Then I come along and put some pressure on him so he's also got a few defense posts. He's done no scumhunting other than to call himself out for lurking. He's also one of the three currently not voting, the other two being a lurker/inactive player and a guy that agrees with everything you've said so far a 100%. RandomGem looks to me like a player who's just coasting along. Still think my reasons are crappy?

As far as chapter 5 and lifeofpie, I don't find them as suspicious as RandomGem and Sion (who is either lurking or abandoned the game).
Fenchurch wrote: thinktank, you have posted a fair amount, but they are mainly in the role of IC answering questions, and you haven't made any votes since your random one. Do you have any comments about the game, besides Drifter and his claim?
thinktank wrote:I think Shadowlurker makes some excellent arguments.

Ok. "I agree with everything Shadowlurker said. Let's lynch." while not voting yourself is not only a content-less post but it also reeks of scum keeping their options open and not wanting to get their hands dirty.
FoS: Thinktank
Defensive much?

Do you notice that I didn't agree with everything Shadowlurker said and the reason you've stated is precisely why I have not voted for either of you. Why would I vote purely based on someone else's conclusions? I agree that would be quite scummy. Right now I've only given a scum meter of who I think is scummy. I will vote for people who I think are scummy as the evidence starts to pile up and I can form my own conclusions.

lifeofpie
lifeofpie
Townie
lifeofpie
Townie
Townie

Post Post #144 (ISO) » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:50 am

Post by lifeofpie »

ShadowLurker wrote:lifeofpie's post 110 is very odd. Usually it's a newbie scumtell to see someone talking for someone else, but lifeofpie responds to the entire post despite the fact he is not mentioned before giving anybody else a chance to. I also note that that is his longest post so far in the game and he chooses to respond to
only
Artem. If either one of them comes up scum, then I think a very close examination of the other is warranted.
I am not on much, so I try to provoke conversation while I am. It's just (dare I say it) coincidence that I'm posting just for Artem.
Drifter wrote:
unlynch

lynch life of pie

I used to think this was a bit of a townie action, but you posted this only a couple of minutes after I suggested a bandwagon, so it looks more like you were trying to buy townie points.
Actually, it was entirely random. I felt like doing something, and you suggested a bandwagon, so SHAZAM!

By the way, it's
Vote

If you don't like macs, tough luck.
chapter 5
chapter 5
Townie
chapter 5
Townie
Townie
Happy Birthday!

Post Post #145 (ISO) » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:36 am

Post by chapter 5 »

Fenchurch wrote:
chapter 5 wrote:This post is pretty much exactly what I mean when I say she posts for the sake of posting. This is all fluff extended into like 8 or 9 paragraphs. I'm like 90% confident you're scum, now.
So, giving you the reasons for my actions, which you have accused of being scummy, is "posting for the sake of posting"?

I'm sorry that it's not concise, but in a game where our words are the sole indicator of our alliance, I don't want to leave mine open to misinterpretation, so I err on the side of caution: an overexplanation rather than an underexplanation.

It has taken you 3 days to respond to that post. Is that how often you check the thread, or did you just choose to wait?
First, that was the first time that I checked the thread and saw that post.

Second, perhaps I have not explained myself properly. Throughout the entire game, you have posted, admittedly, quite a bit. Throughout my observations, I've noticed that you tend to post a lot of words for only a medium amound of substance. You have openly admitted in this post that you prefer to do this.

Posting quite a bit without actually saying that much seems to me like a ploy to seem more towniesh (from what I've noticed on here, people think that more activity is associated with more townieness) so that you can blend in more and stay out of the "lurker" category. I have admittedly been lurking this game, not intentionally, but like I'd care anyways. Townies don't post to look more towniesh, they post when they have something to say.

Not to mention that the above post is quite overdefensive for what you might think is a baseless claim.
Drifter
Drifter
Townie
Drifter
Townie
Townie

Post Post #146 (ISO) » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:57 am

Post by Drifter »

lifeofpie wrote:
ShadowLurker wrote:lifeofpie's post 110 is very odd. Usually it's a newbie scumtell to see someone talking for someone else, but lifeofpie responds to the entire post despite the fact he is not mentioned before giving anybody else a chance to. I also note that that is his longest post so far in the game and he chooses to respond to
only
I am not on much, so I try to provoke conversation while I am. It's just (dare I say it) coincidence that I'm posting just for Artem.
Drifter wrote:
unlynch

lynch life of pie

Actually, it was entirely random. I felt like doing something, and you suggested a bandwagon, so SHAZAM!

By the way, it's
Vote
yeh well you certainly didn't want to wait around, and there aren't many posts in this thread that have only 2 minutes in between them.
Fenchurch
Fenchurch
she/they
Mafia Scum
Fenchurch
she/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #147 (ISO) » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:25 am

Post by Fenchurch »

chapter 5 wrote:Not to mention that the above post is quite overdefensive for what you might think is a baseless claim.
You're right about that: I was aggravated, because it felt like you were being unreasonable. Having done my best to explain my reasons for my posting habits, your response came across as merely "look, how much she posts again!", without addressing anything in it.
chapter 5 wrote:I've noticed that you tend to post a lot of words for only a medium amound of substance.
To put my previous answer another way - I guess I'd rather that I were posting a lot with some substance, than a little with none at all. I have "admitted" that not all of my posts are giving useful information, because I am not confident enough in my playing ability to say that they are.

As for other matters. Drifter's latest post is just.. odd. Apparently he has a a post that lifeofpie made five pages ago has suddenly struck him as incredibly suspicious. Could this be related to the fact that ShadowLurker has also brought up lifeofpie as a suspect recently, so Drifter thinks he makes a sensible target?

I read through another game today with a similar newbie player who was scum, and it's made me think now that I have given Drifter the benefit of the doubt too much, when assuming his actions to be newbie town (note: is changing your mind based on other games reasonable? I can't see how not, since that's how my original judgements were made, but maybe I'm wrong). He doesn't seem to be trying too concerned with looking for scum, and personally, I do read his questions about deadlines as a player getting tired of the day phase.

I'm not going to vote him right now - I still would like some more participation from Sion. But I don't think I will be uncomfortable any more about voting Drifter again today.
RandomGem
RandomGem
Goon
RandomGem
Goon
Goon

Post Post #148 (ISO) » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:26 am

Post by RandomGem »

Artem wrote:I also don't understand what you are referring to by RandomGem's "many other contributions". Looking over his posts, all I'm seeing are some questions, joke comments and a brief FoS of owsianko's vote/unvote and your aggressiveness. Then I come along and put some pressure on him so he's also got a few defense posts.
Actually, agreed... :?
Artem wrote:He's done no scumhunting other than to call himself out for lurking. He's also one of the three currently not voting, the other two being a lurker/inactive player and a guy that agrees with everything you've said so far a 100%. RandomGem looks to me like a player who's just coasting along. Still think my reasons are crappy?
What's wrong with not voting? I'm not yet looking to see anyone lynched, and since the person with the most votes is Drifter, I wouldn't be putting pressure on him by voting him since he's already had 3 votes on him before.
Your objections against me are all on my playing
style
, and frankly, since this is my first game, I have no way to prove this and no real way to defend myself.
But fine, I'll start asking questions.
Drifter
, can you explain your post 142? Why with the sudden epiphany? How is suggesting that you should help your bandwagon attempting to buy townie points?
chapter 5
, you seem very intent on Fenchurch. What opinions do you have on the other players, myself included?
Sion
, where the heck are you? (Okay, useless question...)
---
I have to say that Drifter is getting more suspicious to me. Besides all the reasons already posted before, I noticed one small thing. In post 12, and post 37, he votes for thinktank in the structure of "vote thinktank", but in post 142, he switches to the word "lynch". Perhaps I'm finding something completely irrelevant, but what could cause a person to forget the proper voting syntax?

Oh, almost forgot. I'm gone on vacation from 8/10 to 8/14.
Drifter
Drifter
Townie
Drifter
Townie
Townie

Post Post #149 (ISO) » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:56 pm

Post by Drifter »

wel i wanted to put some heat on life of pie. To be a good townie you shouldn't be worried about getting killed off yourself if you help out the team. Before I suggested a bandwagon those of us who are uninformed were just voting randomly. It looks like I may get voted off but at least I have given the townies some reactions to work with.

Yeh I was asking if there was a deadline, what's the harm in knowing either way?

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”