Hayasaka
Hayasaka
Goon
Hayasaka
Goon
Goon

Post Post #200 (ISO) » Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:31 pm

Post by Hayasaka »

In post 197, Gamma Emerald wrote:Plus there’s also the fact Ampharos just seems super self-conscious about the whole situation. It’s not a suspicion that really holds a lot of weight but I think I can VOTE: Ampharos and feel okay with calling that a serious vote.
I don't see how this gives you a self-conscious vibe. She talks about it once after being prodded on it then drops the topic entirely.
First part explains a stance on mechanical information and the 2nd part feels silly but I wouldn't call it self concious or any other worrds that could be used to describe a wolf.

It's like saying "I am an ascetic", "I claimed for XYZ", "ok time to move on".

Spoiler: Amy Quote
In post 67, Ampharos wrote:
In post 66, Kaname Date wrote:
In post 18, Ampharos wrote:full disclosure: I have a neighbor chat with tris.

Neither of our alignments are mentioned in the chat and (to my knowledge) there's no outside mechanical weirdness tied to it, just a vanilla neighbor chat.

If anything happens in there that gives me cause for concern, I'll let y'all know.
my instinct with neighbour chats is usually to keep them secret until outing them has a specific purpose. what's your reason for doing so here?
I tend to dislike concealing mechanical information without a concrete reason to do so, and will otherwise default to laying all my cards on the table. Having access to a neighbor chat is a super innocuous thing that I don't really see the benefit in concealing.

Furthermore, accountability; if Tris says something compromising in the chat I can now just pop in and say "hey Tris is being weird in chat" instead of having to waste time claiming later. [that said, Tris seems like an obvious villager aorn, but whatever]

Finally:
i have no idea how to use a neighbor chat this is literally my first time
Hayasaka
Hayasaka
Goon
Hayasaka
Goon
Goon

Post Post #201 (ISO) » Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:32 pm

Post by Hayasaka »

VOTE: Gamma Emerald

Feels like Gamma is trying to grab onto something right now rather than that be a naturally formed read.
PookyTheMagicalBear
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
Pooky got your back

Post Post #202 (ISO) » Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:54 pm

Post by PookyTheMagicalBear »

good point

VOTE: GAMMA EMERALD
Show
"I hope one day I can openly play as wolfy as Pooky and get zero pressure for it grumble grumble."
-MariaR

"I can't even look at the game anymore.
That evil teddy bear has got everyone twirling by his thumb.
It's like witnessing an slow but unavoidable train crash you can't stop."

-Norwee
tris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
Splatoon Tetris
Pronoun: she

Post Post #203 (ISO) » Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:56 pm

Post by tris »

In post 201, Hayasaka wrote:VOTE: Gamma Emerald

Feels like Gamma is trying to grab onto something right now rather than that be a naturally formed read.
i think you might be right. VOTE: Gamma

i feel better about this vote than any other vote i've made so far.

pedit: pooky voting there kind of makes me not want to but that's just being contrarian. that would be silly
PookyTheMagicalBear
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
Pooky got your back

Post Post #204 (ISO) » Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:57 pm

I am full of shining goodness

u cannot doubt my brilliance
Show
"I hope one day I can openly play as wolfy as Pooky and get zero pressure for it grumble grumble."
-MariaR

-Norwee
tris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
Splatoon Tetris

Post Post #205 (ISO) » Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:58 pm

Post by tris »

like to me, Amy's decision just seems to come from not knowing what to do with a neighborhood
tris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
Splatoon Tetris

Post Post #206 (ISO) » Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:59 pm

Post by tris »

if anything, it seems almost a little town-indicative.
tris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
Splatoon Tetris

Post Post #207 (ISO) » Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:06 pm

Post by tris »

@Flavor
, why did you want to know what i remembered about previous games?
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: Any

Post Post #208 (ISO) » Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:16 pm

Post by Gamma Emerald »

It feels self-conscious because she seems worried about withholding information (or rather, being seen as doing that) versus using the tools she’s been given

And yeah I’m grabbing onto something because it’s still early, once the game progresses now concrete reasons will develop
<Embrace The Void>

“A flipped coin doesn't always land heads or tails. Sometimes it may never land at all...”
Flavor Leaf
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #209 (ISO) » Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:27 pm

Post by Flavor Leaf »

In post 207, tris wrote:
@Flavor
, why did you want to know what i remembered about previous games?
Mainly cuz I don't remember the social dynamic aspects of it all.
Flavor Leaf
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #210 (ISO) » Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:28 pm

Post by Flavor Leaf »

I'm writing a Playing As Mafia guide right now; it's gonna be trash, be prepared.
Ampharos
Ampharos
Goon
Ampharos
Goon
Goon

Post Post #211 (ISO) » Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:10 pm

Post by Ampharos »

I can assure you I'm not new. I just play a lot of vanilla games.
Ampharos
Ampharos
Goon
Ampharos
Goon
Goon

Post Post #212 (ISO) » Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:15 pm

Post by Ampharos »

Actually I'm kind of baffled that that's the interpretation of my play that you came away with if you've been actually reading the game.

I can understand forming that read if you just read the "I've never rolled a neighborhood" before in a vacuum, but... I've explicitly said "I play a lot elsewhere", I've made a lot of "wolves do X, villagers do Y" type reads, etc. etc. So like... are you not actually reading my posts, or what?
Ampharos
Ampharos
Goon
Ampharos
Goon
Goon

Post Post #213 (ISO) » Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:23 pm

Post by Ampharos »

re: Date's mindset on defending the neighborhood as actually being extant

Wolves can townside or scumside with mechanical information just as they can with their reads. A townsiding wolf is probably looking for maximum mechanical accuracy in order to try to buy towncred; a scumsiding wolf is just... not gonna make those posts. Let town lead themselves down the rabbit hole to their death, if that's what they're gonna do.

I PERSONALLY prefer to mechanically scumside as a wolf whenever possible, and thus my gut instinct is to lend Date some mild towncred for making a post that it's really easy for a wolf to just Not Make... but at the end of the day, it depends on what sort of player Date is. Which is not something I'm familiar with.
Ampharos
Ampharos
Goon
Ampharos
Goon
Goon

Post Post #214 (ISO) » Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:29 pm

Post by Ampharos »

re: outing the neighborhood vs. just "using" it

I think honestly this boils down to a philosophical difference in the usefulness of a one-on-one chat.

I personally don't tend to form reads super well in a one-on-one setting - I prefer to take in the gamestate holistically, see how players treat other players as well as myself, and read them that way. Snap gutreads on interpersonal interactions are still nice when they happen, but I don't think they're how I solve the game best, and thus I see limited utility out of a neighborhood as far as solving the other person's alignment goes.

On the other hand, if I'm able to find tris as town, it becomes an excellent space for me to just throw my brain at the wall and see what sort of reads fall out, especially during night phases. Beyond that, though, I'd PREFER to do most of my solving in the thread.

(As a wolf, I'd absolutely be using the chat to try to pocket a town Tris. I used to play a lot of social games involving manipulation in a one-on-one setting and am pretty confident in my ability to successfully do so. But that's obviously WIFOM now that I've said it out loud, so feel free to ignore this entire parenthetical lol)
Flavor Leaf
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #215 (ISO) » Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:49 pm

Post by Flavor Leaf »

Gamma Emerald could be setting up themselves up in a hierarchy which could help them get more clout within the game, which is strong for either alignment.

I understand the newer comment from Gamma, and Ampharos' response comes across as NewerTown who's played games, but never been truly challenged even if they don't know it, or Scum who got offended by what Gamma said.
Flavor Leaf
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #216 (ISO) » Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:50 pm

Post by Flavor Leaf »

Specifically strong for Gamma's self positioning is what I meant by either alignment. I don't have a read for it one way or another.
Ampharos
Ampharos
Goon
Ampharos
Goon
Goon

Post Post #217 (ISO) » Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:01 pm

Post by Ampharos »

Let's put this to rest.

I've been playing casually since 2011, seriously since 2016. I'm a site administrator at MafiaUniverse.com.

Assertions that I'm new are incorrect as well as annoying, and I guarantee you that's NAI.
PookyTheMagicalBear
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
Pooky got your back

Post Post #218 (ISO) » Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:08 pm

i've been playing competitively since before you were born kiddo
Show
-MariaR

-Norwee
Ampharos
Ampharos
Goon
Ampharos
Goon
Goon

Post Post #219 (ISO) » Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:10 pm

Post by Ampharos »

Marinating on the push itself.

Think my conclusion is "need to see more in order to form a read." Think it's in my best interest not to elaborate before that happens.
In post 218, PookyTheMagicalBear wrote:i've been playing competitively since before you were born kiddo
Impressive if true. I'm 24.
PookyTheMagicalBear
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
Pooky got your back

Post Post #220 (ISO) » Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:13 pm

its true. im back to back school bus champ 1998-1999
Show
-MariaR

-Norwee
Ampharos
Ampharos
Goon
Ampharos
Goon
Goon

Post Post #221 (ISO) » Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:15 pm

Post by Ampharos »

I don't suppose you have, uh, reads?
Ampharos
Ampharos
Goon
Ampharos
Goon
Goon

Post Post #222 (ISO) » Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:37 pm

Post by Ampharos »

Brain barf about assorted players, in the meantime:

Was rolling Date's ISO around in my head for a bit, because I was somewhat annoyed that I hadn't formed a read on them yet given that they're one of the people posting actual content thus far. Think I land somewhere on the thin side of town; there's a lot of gut-level tonal things that I like, and I'm also a fan of their vote on DoctorPepper (in the "I think this is a vote a villager makes" sense). The degree of casualness with which it's dropped belies an actual stated foundation for the vote. Think the wolf version of that either looks a lot weaker/more RVS-ish or a LOT stronger/develops into an actual push, because you're either dropping a nothing vote you don't care about or you're feigning content for towncred. Goldilocksing the proper level of nonchalance is a tricky prospect to fake.

Biggest knock on them is that I don't know how I feel about the simple "why's that" to tris's vote on them. Part of this is colored by the fact that I pretty immediately caught on that tris's vote was due to failure to recognize a joke, so I could just be weirded out by the lack of immediate vocalized recognition of that... but it's the sort of cagey controlled question that wolves tend to ask to people pushing them. Certainly not out of townrange, though, and GTH I'd lean them v.

===

I want to have a read on Flavor Leaf. I do not have a read on Flavor Leaf.

I think it's probably correct for me to not have a read on Flavor Leaf. I don't think anything he's done is particularly alignment indicative. I think most of his actual game-related posting has been pretty commentary-ish, unobjectionable (though, as stated, I did disagree with the tris take), and certainly not out of either alignment's range. I think most of his interpersonal interaction has been largely non-game content, which is fine this early. I think he's not someone I'm tonally going to catch without a prior sample, as confident players are rarely caught off tone except in distinct tonal differences between alignments that vary from person to person.

I think the correct time to form a Flavor Leaf read is when he actually commits to some stance and begins actually fighting for it in some form or another.

This doesn't make my lack of a read any less annoying.

===

Tris continues to do things that solidify my townread of her. She's down in the dirt getting shit done, and genuinely seems to lack TMI of any sort. I particularly liked her questioning of... fish person whose username escapes me right now. Their comment about "why wouldn't you want to make waves" struck me as a comfortably town mindset.

===

Hayasaka is just a villager, and if they're not I'm just hard pocketed and someone else'll have to catch them anyways. Not wasting any more brainpower here for now.

===

I want to call Pooky a villager for no reason whatsoever. Maybe it's the Gamma vote? Something super brazen about dropping a blatant sheeping vote like that when basically nothing in your ISO is game-related content. Probably this is just how they play every game and I shouldn't have a read on them in either direction, but whatever.
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: Any

Post Post #223 (ISO) » Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:41 pm

Post by Gamma Emerald »

In post 212, Ampharos wrote:Actually I'm kind of baffled that that's the interpretation of my play that you came away with if you've been actually reading the game.

I can understand forming that read if you just read the "I've never rolled a neighborhood" before in a vacuum, but... I've explicitly said "I play a lot elsewhere", I've made a lot of "wolves do X, villagers do Y" type reads, etc. etc. So like... are you not actually reading my posts, or what?
It’s more that I just locked into that one phrase for my perception of you
Anyway, point taken
<Embrace The Void>

“A flipped coin doesn't always land heads or tails. Sometimes it may never land at all...”
PookyTheMagicalBear
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
Pooky got your back

Post Post #224 (ISO) » Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:42 pm

In post 221, Ampharos wrote:I don't suppose you have, uh, reads?
do you want to join my mason team?
Show
-MariaR

-Norwee

Return to “Completed Mini Theme Games”