Nomic: Wiki Edition --- Finished (More or Less)

For completed/abandoned Mish Mash Games.
lendunistus
lendunistus
he/him
Goon
lendunistus
he/him
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #125 (ISO) » Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:32 am

Post by lendunistus »

also, charles is on the cusp of becoming inactive
Deimos27
Deimos27
Mafia Scum
Deimos27
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #126 (ISO) » Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:41 am

Post by Deimos27 »

Oh I love economics and I love monetary policy let's do this thing
Deimos27
Deimos27
Mafia Scum
Deimos27
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #127 (ISO) » Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:42 am

Post by Deimos27 »

VOTE: Nay 311
shiny rocks can be established automatically under the central bank's mechanism as Ircher outlined
Deimos27
Deimos27
Mafia Scum
Deimos27
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #128 (ISO) » Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:48 am

Post by Deimos27 »

VOTE: Nay 315
I see it as unlikely we'll run into scaling issues and I'd like to try not to pass any superfluous rules.
VOTE: Aye 316
Why not? If the money supply gets out of hand the central bank can always pass some deflationary measures :D
Deimos27
Deimos27
Mafia Scum
Deimos27
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #129 (ISO) » Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:05 pm

Post by Deimos27 »

Ircher you def have my support for everything in , if there are any flaws they can be amended later. It's very well thought out and formatted as is. Though I'd call it the Nomic Central Bank rather than Reserve Bank just because the latter feels like it has an American bias lol. Doesn't actually make a difference.

I say we stop making proposals unrelated to this banking system until we get all its rules through; I'd like them in consecutive lexical order.
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea
Pronoun: He / Him / His

Post Post #130 (ISO) » Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:23 pm

Post by Ircher »

Charles510 is at 72 hours and is thus now inactive. tris is also coming pretty close. I could prod people when they are coming close to the timer (say after 48 hours) if people would like me to do that. So that kills 311 with Deimos27's earlier vote. Other proposals seem to be on the cusp.

I think we will go ahead and establish the bank, but I would like for others to chime in on the other ones before we formally propose them.

Proposal 317:
The Establishment of the Nomic Central Bank
: An entity known as the Nomic Central Bank is hereby established upon the passage of this proposal.

Edit 12:50 AM: Actually I'm gonna
withdraw 317
for now. We will come back to it after some discussion, but I would like to replace it with the following proposal:

Proposal 318: Players may make motions in addition to proposals. Unlike proposals, which are permanent in nature, all motions are temporary and must cease to be in effect after a certain time. A maximum time limit shall be prescribed in a future rule. Motions are proposed, voted upon, passed, and failed in a similar manner as proposals. Numbering shall begin at M001 and increase with each proposed motion.

These worked rather well last time we played especially "1-second motions" for doing instant effects.
Links: User Page | GTKAS
Do you have questions, ideas, or feedback for the Scummies? Please pm me!
lendunistus
lendunistus
he/him
Goon
lendunistus
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #131 (ISO) » Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:29 pm

Post by lendunistus »

VOTE: Yea 318

as for Ircher’s bank draft in 122, I have a few issues

as for article VII, the sanctions concern me a bit. giving 3 people the ability to effectively cut a single player out of all currency-related actions is a dangerous prospect. I can see why these sanctions would be necessary but imo, I wouldn’t give the board of directors the power to impose sanctions and instead let people impose them via motions

as for the board of directors existing in the first place, I’d say we should go the full democracy route and just not have a board of directors but if people would rather have a special group of people to deal with currency-related matters then I’m not opposed

also, tris is now inactive

edit: which makes majority 3 again
lendunistus
lendunistus
he/him
Goon
lendunistus
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #132 (ISO) » Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:33 pm

Post by lendunistus »

since majority is 3 again, that means 313 and 316 are instantly passed
Deimos27
Deimos27
Mafia Scum
Deimos27
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #133 (ISO) » Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:18 pm

Post by Deimos27 »

VOTE: Aye 318
Now that you mention it Iendunistus I'd even suggest that sanctions are the kind of thing that should require a supermajority, to stop abuse by any tyrannical coalition.

How about some basic division of power: the BoD propose the sanctions, they are then approved by the public. Or vice versa

Edit: spelling
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea

Post Post #134 (ISO) » Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:51 am

Post by Ircher »

We could make the sanctions require unanimity among the board. While I understand it may be concerning, I don't think it will be problematic in practice. All decisions made must be announced publicly and archived on the wiki. Furthermore, we have the tools of both executive reviews and motions to deal with any abuse of power. Executive reviews empower us to reverse any decision made by the board including sanctions. (It's worth noting they were initially meant for general rule disputes, but sanctioning a player definitely counts as an "action taken" and therefore falls under such legislation.)

With regards to the board itself, it is mainly an efficiency thing. Everyone voting on every exchange rate, etc. seems woefully inefficient especially if there is any dissent or absent players. It could work perhaps with our current numbers, but it doesn't scale well at all. Also, 318 passed.
Deimos27
Deimos27
Mafia Scum
Deimos27
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #135 (ISO) » Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:07 am

Post by Deimos27 »

In post 134, Ircher wrote:With regards to the board itself, it is mainly an efficiency thing. Everyone voting on every exchange rate, etc. seems woefully inefficient especially if there is any dissent or absent players. It could work perhaps with our current numbers, but it doesn't scale well at all. Also, 318 passed.
I agree, quantitative decisions like exchange rates sound dreadful to build majority support for in a group of any considerable size.
Jake The Wolfie
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #136 (ISO) » Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:14 am

Post by Jake The Wolfie »

Ircher, the Nomical Bank is perhaps thee most boring thing I have read, and I have read the literal dictionary, and The DnD player's handbook.
Deimos27
Deimos27
Mafia Scum
Deimos27
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #137 (ISO) » Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:44 am

Post by Deimos27 »

The PHB is not boring!
All my homies read the PHB for fun.
Deimos27
Deimos27
Mafia Scum
Deimos27
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #138 (ISO) » Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:47 am

Post by Deimos27 »

I like the idea of us all having our own competing currencies and I like the idea of having the bank to coordinate it.
Jake The Wolfie
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #139 (ISO) » Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:50 am

Post by Jake The Wolfie »

Will these positions be recallable at any time? Can they be replaced immediately if they wreak havoc on the players? How long will their terms be? Is the Nomic bank really necessary?
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea

Post Post #140 (ISO) » Sun Oct 31, 2021 5:20 am

Post by Ircher »

Okay, here is the revised thing based on some of the feedback I've garnered (again, these would each be their own proposal):

I.
The Establishment of the Nomic Central Bank:
An entity known as the Nomic Central Bank is hereby established upon the passage of this proposal.

II.
The Election of the Nomic Central Bank Board of Directors:
The Nomic Central Bank is managed by three elected officials known as the Nomic Central Board of Directors (or board of directors for short when the relevant context is the Nomic Central Bank) Every two weeks, a 2-day long election is held to determine who is on the board of directors. Elections officially begin at 12:01 AM UTC on the day of the election and end the day after at 11:59 PM UTC. Votes are cast by secret ballot (i.e.: pm) to the current head director of the board of directors and must list the player's three preferences for the board of directors in the order of preference. Players may not vote for themselves in any way, and any ballots received before the election starts or after the election ends will be considered invalid. The winner of the election is decided by employing a modified form of the Borda Count where a 1st preference counts as 5 votes, a 2nd preference counts as 3 votes, and a 3rd preference counts as 1 vote. All unlisted players receive 0 votes. Furthermore, the player amongst the three elected officials who is the Condorcet winner (i.e.: wins the most head-to-head matches against the other two elected officials) shall become the new head director of the board of directors. If there is a tie, the vote totals from the Borda Count should be used. If there is still a tie, the current head director of the board of directors may choose the new head director of the board of directors with the restriction that they cannot choose themselves. The election results shall be posted by the current head director of the board of directors within 24 hours of the election ending. At this point, power transfers from the prior board of directors to the newly elected board of directors. For the first election, the moderator shall preside as the current head director of the board of directors, and the first election shall begin at 12:01 AM UTC on the day following the passage of this proposal. All election data should be archived in some format following the example of the archiving of the first election. All terms end at 11:59 PM UTC, and future elections begin at 12:01 AM UTC the day before the current term ends.

III:
The Empowerment of Players to Create Currencies:
At any time, a player who has not yet made a currency may create a new currency by posting in bold, "I hereby establish the currency [Currency Name]. Its symbol is [Currency Symbol]." The player who creates the currency may make as little or as much of it as they like and may hand it out to whomever they choose in whatever nonnegative quantity they choose except when dictated otherwise by the current Nomic Central Bank Board of Directors, other rules, and other motions. All new currencies hold no value when first created. A player may not establish more than one currency at once; the old currency must exit circulation first and then be officially dissolved as described in later rules.

IV:
Decision Making in the Nomic Central Bank Board of Directors:
All decisions made by the board of directors shall be done in a way agreed upon by the current board of directors. This decision in turn shall be decided by simple majority vote with the head director breaking any ties if need be. All decisions made by the board of directors should be archived, and for decisions requiring a vote, the archive shall indicate the position taken by each director on the decision.

V:
The Powers Granted to the Nomic Central Bank Board of Directors:
The following powers are hereby granted to the board of directors: 1) the power to determine exchange rates between various currencies 2) the power to dissolve currencies 3) the power to sanction players by imposing various restrictions on their currencies. The latter two powers shall be further described in future rules; however, if rules pertaining to those powers are not passed, then those powers are not granted. All exchange rates shall be officially posted in terms of Nomic dollars, and exchanges may be made both to and from Nomic dollars.

VI:
The Power to Dissolve Currencies:
As established in V, the Nomic Central Bank Board of Directors wields the power to dissolve currencies. They may do so simply by declaring in bold, "Currency [Currency Name] is hereby declared void," with the following restrictions: 1) the currency must be out of circulation; this means that only the original creator of the currency possesses any nonzero amount of the currency and 2) the original creator of the currency must approve of the dissolution of the currency.

VII:
The Power to Sanction Players:
The Nomic Central Bank Board of Directors may place economic sanctions on players for any reason provided the decision is documented as established in IV and the entire board of directors agrees to the sanctions. These sanctions are limited to the following: (note that the target refers to the player being sanctioned) 1) preventing the target from creating more of their currency or limiting how much of the currency can be made, 2) preventing the target's currency from being traded or lent, 3) preventing the target from making currency exchanges of any kind, or 4) preventing the target's currency from being exchanged in any form. All sanctions are temporary and may last no longer than 72 hours (3 days). The board of directors shall choose both the length and the nature of the sanction as described above, and they are empowered to apply multiple sanctions to a single player as well to reapply a sanction immediately after a previous one expired. Note however that if the board of directors reapply a sanction, they must make the decision after the old one expires. In other words, the board of directors may not queue a new sanction to take hold immediately as the old one expires. Furthermore, further sanctions must be agreed upon and conducted in the same manner as the previous ones; bypassing the process in any way is prohibited.

VIII:
Limitations on the Nomic Central Bank Board of Directors:
The Nomic Central Bank Board of Directors do not transcend the rules of the game. They are subject to the same rules as everyone else (except as described above), and furthermore, any and all of their decisions may be subjected to an executive review. Note that in the latter case, only the head director of the board of directors may be the subject of the executive review; that is, the head director shall be considered the "executor" for the purposes of an executive review and may not participate in the ensuing vote. In cases of egregious misuse of their power, a director may be removed from the board by a motion by the people. The slot shall remain vacant until the next election. If the head director is removed, the second place winner (as stipulated according to the rules in II) shall become the new head director. If the entire board is removed, a new election shall be held at the start of the next day according to the rules in II. The moderator shall preside as the head director for such an election unless a different person is appointed to this position in a motion.
---
So the main changes are 1) sanctions are now limited to 72 hours at a time instead of one week 2) clarity with regards to when terms end and when new elections are held and 3) VIII now stipulates procedures for removing people from the board of directors.
In post 139, Jake The Wolfie wrote:Will these positions be recallable at any time? Can they be replaced immediately if they wreak havoc on the players? How long will their terms be? Is the Nomic bank really necessary?
These changes should address most of these. As to necessity, no, but nothing is "necessary" really.
Last edited by Ircher on Sun Oct 31, 2021 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deimos27
Deimos27
Mafia Scum
Deimos27
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #141 (ISO) » Sun Oct 31, 2021 5:21 am

Post by Deimos27 »

Elections are every two weeks in Ircher's post so that's the length of term and most basic form of accountability. Motions/proposals/executive reviews will always exist for accountability as well. We can consider instituting a vote of no confidence if you're still concerned.

Is it really necessary? Well, if our wincon is going to be based on currencies, it seems logical. We'll need exchange rates and having a smaller body for determining them seems logical. When we get an economy running the bank can take on traditional duties like maintaining price stability.

Besides all that it seems very fun.

p-edit: didn't read that most recent post yet
Deimos27
Deimos27
Mafia Scum
Deimos27
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #142 (ISO) » Sun Oct 31, 2021 5:28 am

Post by Deimos27 »

Ok so looks like there basically is a vote of no confidence now which can be used to dismiss the head director. That should allay any lingering doubts about accountability.
StrangerCoug
StrangerCoug
He/Him
Does not Compute
StrangerCoug
He/Him
Does not Compute
Does not Compute
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #143 (ISO) » Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:37 am

Post by StrangerCoug »

VOTE: Yea 318
STRANGERCOUG: Stranger Than You!

Current avatar by PurryFurry of FurAffinity.

What Were You Thinking XV! is in progress.
StrangerCoug
StrangerCoug
He/Him
Does not Compute
StrangerCoug
He/Him
Does not Compute
Does not Compute

Post Post #144 (ISO) » Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:40 am

Post by StrangerCoug »

Well, it's been passed already, but it's still a good rule.

StrangerCoug
StrangerCoug
He/Him
Does not Compute
StrangerCoug
He/Him
Does not Compute
Does not Compute

Post Post #145 (ISO) » Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:55 am

Post by StrangerCoug »

Proposal 319: There is hereby created an items shop, from which players may use Nomic dollars to buy items. Players may make motions to add items to the shop. Such motions must include a price for each item in Nomic dollars (although the same price can apply to multiple items) as well as a use effect for each item. Items so added for sale are removed therefrom when the motion adding them expires unless otherwise stated in the motion adding the item.

Modified a bit from the proposal adding weapons and armor shops in the last game, but the basic idea is the same.

Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea

Post Post #146 (ISO) » Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:15 am

Post by Ircher »

VOTE: Yea 319
Some more things with regards to motions, also from last game:

Proposal 320: Motions supersede mutable rules, but they do not supersede immutable rules.

This actually has no effect as it is currently due to rule priorities.

Proposal 321: Transmute rule 320 to immutable. This proposal automatically fails if 320 fails.

This one requires unanimous consent. It makes 320 have actual force.
StrangerCoug
StrangerCoug
He/Him
Does not Compute
StrangerCoug
He/Him
Does not Compute
Does not Compute

Post Post #147 (ISO) » Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:20 am

Post by StrangerCoug »

VOTE: Yea 320
VOTE: Yea 321

Deimos27
Deimos27
Mafia Scum
Deimos27
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #148 (ISO) » Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:33 am

Post by Deimos27 »

VOTE: Aye 319
VOTE: Aye 320
VOTE: Aye 321
Deimos27