Newbie 2082 - Game Over

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Thynhith
Thynhith
Goon
Thynhith
Goon
Goon

Post Post #325 (ISO) » Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:43 pm

Post by Thynhith »

In post 313, catboi wrote: Val made some comments throwing shade at Thyn for reasons that I think I far more substantial than anything he's thrown at Greeting, but continues his tunnel toward Greeting while only slapping Thyn with a scumlean and not much else. Thyn comes in with a "I would advise everyone to look at Val/Greeting more carefully" and an fos on Val but is mainly content to point to a past game and let other people do the legwork, he also avoids actually moving his vote here.
That's not very fair to say, is it? Did you miss the
bolded
notice for reduced activity? I will look into the past game again, but I had no time to do it when I made the post. It was as much a reminder for myself as for town. And I'm against voting out Val, at least D1, because his align will be much more obvious in later days.
In fact it seems you're avoiding voting Val, despite declaring him to be disingenuous, thin and repetitive. Why go after someone on v/la over only a couple posts? VOTE: catboi
Val89
Val89
He
Mafia Scum
Val89
He
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: He

Post Post #326 (ISO) » Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:54 pm

Post by Val89 »

In post 325, Thynhith wrote:And I'm against voting out Val, at least D1, because his align will be much more obvious in later days.
In fact it seems you're avoiding voting Val, despite declaring him to be disingenuous, thin and repetitive.
Thyn, what has made you decide that catboi is avoiding voting me for different reasons that you have elected to do so yourself?
frogsfrogs
frogsfrogs
Goon
frogsfrogs
Goon
Goon

Post Post #327 (ISO) » Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:05 pm

Post by frogsfrogs »

Thynhith wrote: If you mean this post, I'm a little surprised you're so swayed by Val talking out of his meta. All he said was I had a different vibe in this game, and something I did looks like something he did. Ugh, and before that you were townleaning me
Sorry, back here. It was less recent than I thought. --
In post 246, frogsfrogs wrote:
Greeting wrote:As much as I'd like to see Val89 voted out, I don't think we have a majority for that now. What's the case on Thyhinth? I see them as mostly towny.
His most decisive attempt to scumhunt was with the MafMen wagon, taking up most of his posts, but other than that he's been extremely general when he's given reads. 104 and 83 and 216 are examples. Why does he only say "something" about the argument between you and Val89 "irks him"?? I don't think his town advice posts have been necessarily alignment indicative either, and he and Val have each been referencing a past game for some meta behavior arguments.
frogsfrogs
frogsfrogs
Goon
frogsfrogs
Goon
Goon

Post Post #328 (ISO) » Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:22 pm

Post by frogsfrogs »

In post 323, Thynhith wrote:
In post 248, frogsfrogs wrote:I absolutely cannot see why Val would be scum and have posted the way/what he has so far. That sus from Greeting is my largest point of confusion with him, so yes, I'd really like for him to elaborate on the read, too.
Curious, what makes you think that? It sounds like you've got Val townlocked
Townlocked is strong, of course, but yes he's my highest read. In their argument, Greeting and Val were both calling the other scum for their position on the role talk but I do not see what value scum!Val89 gets from his side of that. Explosive, double psychology play for town cred that involves disagreeing with three other players at once right out of the gate? I think the rest of his questioning has been helpful and well placed, too.
MafMen
MafMen
Mafia Scum
MafMen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #329 (ISO) » Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:03 pm

Post by MafMen »

In post 319, Val89 wrote:Why frogs and implosion? Those are both townreads to me, or is that why?

How are you feeling about catboi, presently?
nope
i felt a majority of my old wagon looked pure so im just shooting outside of it
i havent really seen anything from implosion or frogs that i could gleam as majorly alignment indicative so theyre just in the poe for now
im open to hearing other perspectives on them of course but /shrug
"I find myself agreeing with MafMen through most of this argument, while also finding him most likely to be scum out of him/Wisdom/Pooky"
~ Klick
MafMen
MafMen
Mafia Scum
MafMen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #330 (ISO) » Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:06 pm

Post by MafMen »

In post 321, Thynhith wrote:@Maf I was asking people not to focus on me when they had a potentially telling interaction by Val. There was nothing on me then, why should I stress out?
thats my point, you had nothing on you other than val with a slight scumread so being redirecting non existent pressure off of you makes you look like a jumpy wolf
what can i say
"I find myself agreeing with MafMen through most of this argument, while also finding him most likely to be scum out of him/Wisdom/Pooky"
~ Klick
MafMen
MafMen
Mafia Scum
MafMen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #331 (ISO) » Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:06 pm

Post by MafMen »

In post 330, MafMen wrote:
In post 321, Thynhith wrote:@Maf I was asking people not to focus on me when they had a potentially telling interaction by Val. There was nothing on me then, why should I stress out?
thats my point, you had nothing on you other than val with a slight scumread so redirecting non existent pressure off of you makes you look like a jumpy wolf
what can i say
ebwop
~ Klick
MafMen
MafMen
Mafia Scum
MafMen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #332 (ISO) » Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:10 pm

Post by MafMen »

sorry my brain skipped your catboi question
ill get to you on that in a min after i iso them
~ Klick
MafMen
MafMen
Mafia Scum
MafMen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #333 (ISO) » Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:17 pm

Post by MafMen »

i have half a mind to townlean them just because i mindmeld with a lot of what they have said
its a bit bizarre for me of all people to be commenting on this but their reasoning for being on my wagon feels about as dull as igor, except ones an SE and ones a newb PR but given that i was, and probably still am widely scumread i dont blame them that much for it, but its atleast enough for me to take back the "my wagon looks pure" comment
~ Klick
MafMen
MafMen
Mafia Scum
MafMen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #334 (ISO) » Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:20 pm

Post by MafMen »

since no ones here im just gonna peace out
~ Klick
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #335 (ISO) » Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:49 pm

Post by implosion »

In post 321, Thynhith wrote:
In post 216, Thynhith wrote:
In post 215, frogsfrogs wrote:I really thought Greeting and Val were both town arguing from different experience but this has absolutely spiraled now. :S

I guess I'd prefer to be talking about Val's new info from 180 re: Thynhith. I think it has some merit. The mentioned posts seemed totally town lean to me, but with greater context putting some doubt on them I see not much else I like?

VOTE: Thynhith
Thread has really ballooned quickly. Not surprised to see that with Val in the game. Focusing on me atp would be derailing town. I would advise everyone to look at Val/Greeting more carefully. There's definitely something there that irks me, and I'll get a reread on the day as soon as I can.
One interesting thing of note is that scum!Val in our last game had a similar argument with Margot. Won't regale you with all the details, but he'll definitely try his best to come away looking townier. In fact his insistence on getting stuck on a seemingly less important point could be a red flag in itself, to trip up town and control the thread.
Consider this a notice for decreased activity for a few days. Have a bunch of irl stuff coming up, so expect me to be dipping out.
To start off with I see some people hating this post. I was writing here in a rush, and wanted to get my first impressions of the Val/Greeting exchange out, before I had to v/la for a few days. Hence the post looking general, was hoping someone might look into my points, and check how scum!Val was arguing with Margot in our last game. Evidently no one did,
and took the opportunity to scumread me instead.

@Maf I was asking people not to focus on me when they had a potentially telling interaction by Val. There was nothing on me then, why should I stress out?

I'm certainly not comfortable with my wagon, and
it seems this is the only post for it.
This is a bit of a disingenuous reaction, the bolded (by me) in particular; half your wagon (me and frogs) were already voting you when you made that post, and igor is off the table at least for now. So this is a very broad accusation/defensive stance that's aesthetically directed toward a lot of people but logically only applies to catboi or like Val who didn't vote you and I... can't really see what's being referred to regarding them either? I easily could be missing something here but what actual player has actually said that they hated that post/started scumreading you in response to it? Unless you're saying people started scumreading you because you went v/la and people wanted to attack someone who couldn't defend themself? Like, I never said anything about that post... frogs voted you before it... catboi said they were sheeping me when they voted and igorsprite didn't give any reasoning. so, ????. It just seems nebulous.
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath

Post Post #336 (ISO) » Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:56 pm

Post by implosion »

That catboi vote is also kind of flimsy.
In post 325, Thynhith wrote:
In post 313, catboi wrote: Val made some comments throwing shade at Thyn for reasons that I think I far more substantial than anything he's thrown at Greeting, but continues his tunnel toward Greeting while only slapping Thyn with a scumlean and not much else. Thyn comes in with a "I would advise everyone to look at Val/Greeting more carefully" and an fos on Val but is mainly content to point to a past game and let other people do the legwork, he also avoids actually moving his vote here.
bolded
notice for reduced activity? I will look into the past game again, but I had no time to do it when I made the post. It was as much a reminder for myself as for town. And I'm against voting out Val, at least D1, because his align will be much more obvious in later days.
In fact it seems you're avoiding voting Val, despite declaring him to be disingenuous, thin and repetitive. Why go after someone on v/la over only a couple posts? VOTE: catboi
The first part of this is pretty reasonable maybe but very eh as a reason to scumread someone.

The second part is strange and feels tacked-on to make it look like Thynhith has good reason to vote here. There's no way in which voting one of two scumreads is avoiding the other, especially given catboi is vocally saying you could both be scum.

I'm not actually sure if this post is really scum-indicative in isolation but it's not doing any favors in terms of making me question my reads.
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #337 (ISO) » Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:00 pm

Post by catboi »

In post 325, Thynhith wrote:
bolded
You are both at the bottom of my reads individually. A wagon on you is viable, one on val is not, but if you flipped red he'd be one of the people I'd consider. I was mostly musing out in the open about potential teammates to make my thinking clear. I generally try to discourage preflip associations on day 1 in newbie games, but my townreads this game are decent enough that I have to start thinking in that manner. And I don't think it was just "a couple posts" that made me want to go after you, it was agreeing with the points implosion had made about you.
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #338 (ISO) » Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:06 pm

Post by catboi »

In post 333, MafMen wrote:i have half a mind to townlean them just because i mindmeld with a lot of what they have said
its a bit bizarre for me of all people to be commenting on this but their reasoning for being on my wagon feels about as dull as igor, except ones an SE and ones a newb PR but given that i was, and probably still am widely scumread i dont blame them that much for it, but its atleast enough for me to take back the "my wagon looks pure" comment
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ My initial vote on you was barely for a reason at all, my gut feel was that your early game was a bit too conversational, a bit too many posts just replying to things without the type of comment that moves the game forward. Then you outed a townread that didn't look believable and you got voted for it and I was okay with it. Have been wrong before on that sort of thing but at the time, it was the best I had to go on with what had been posted. I lean significantly more toward you being genuine now although I couldn't point to anything specific to justify that. I do think your complete nonchalance about the wagon would be bold play as scum in a newbie game.
Thynhith
Thynhith
Goon
Thynhith
Goon
Goon

Post Post #339 (ISO) » Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:43 pm

Post by Thynhith »

In post 335, implosion wrote: This is a bit of a disingenuous reaction, the bolded (by me) in particular; half your wagon (me and frogs) were already voting you when you made that post, and igor is off the table at least for now. So this is a very broad accusation/defensive stance that's aesthetically directed toward a lot of people but logically only applies to catboi or like Val who didn't vote you and I... can't really see what's being referred to regarding them either? I easily could be missing something here but what actual player has actually said that they hated that post/started scumreading you in response to it? Unless you're saying people started scumreading you because you went v/la and people wanted to attack someone who couldn't defend themself? Like, I never said anything about that post... frogs voted you before it... catboi said they were sheeping me when they voted and igorsprite didn't give any reasoning. so, ????. It just seems nebulous.
Nebulous? Did you miss 318 313 and 229?
Thynhith
Thynhith
Goon
Thynhith
Goon
Goon

Post Post #340 (ISO) » Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:48 pm

Post by Thynhith »

In post 326, Val89 wrote:Thyn, what has made you decide that catboi is avoiding voting me for different reasons that you have elected to do so yourself?
He's been rather more vocal about you than me, and hasn't said anything to the contrary
Thynhith
Thynhith
Goon
Thynhith
Goon
Goon

Post Post #341 (ISO) » Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:52 pm

Post by Thynhith »

In post 338, catboi wrote: I lean significantly more toward you being genuine now although I couldn't point to anything specific to justify that. I do think your complete nonchalance about the wagon would be bold play as scum in a newbie game.
Only... Maf isn't a newbie, and that sort of play would work even better in a newbie game
In post 337, catboi wrote: You are both at the bottom of my reads individually. A wagon on you is viable, one on val is not, but if you flipped red he'd be one of the people I'd consider. I was mostly musing out in the open about potential teammates to make my thinking clear. I generally try to discourage preflip associations on day 1 in newbie games, but my townreads this game are decent enough that I have to start thinking in that manner. And I don't think it was just "a couple posts" that made me want to go after you, it was agreeing with the points implosion had made about you.
And if I flipped green, what would you get from it?
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #342 (ISO) » Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:03 pm

Post by catboi »

In post 341, Thynhith wrote:Only... Maf isn't a newbie, and that sort of play would work even better in a newbie game
Not really? Newbies are significantly more likely to be sticky with their votes in my experience, not addressing it at all or even really trying to push a counter means someone is
generally
more likely to get tunneled
In post 341, Thynhith wrote:And if I flipped green, what would you get from it?
"if" you flip green?
Thynhith
Thynhith
Goon
Thynhith
Goon
Goon

Post Post #343 (ISO) » Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:53 pm

Post by Thynhith »

In post 342, catboi wrote:
"if" you flip green?
Mate, no need to be a smartass eh? If I flip green, as in if I get limmed this day and flip green, what do you get from it?
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath

Post Post #344 (ISO) » Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:57 pm

Post by implosion »

In post 339, Thynhith wrote:
In post 335, implosion wrote: This is a bit of a disingenuous reaction, the bolded (by me) in particular; half your wagon (me and frogs) were already voting you when you made that post, and igor is off the table at least for now. So this is a very broad accusation/defensive stance that's aesthetically directed toward a lot of people but logically only applies to catboi or like Val who didn't vote you and I... can't really see what's being referred to regarding them either? I easily could be missing something here but what actual player has actually said that they hated that post/started scumreading you in response to it? Unless you're saying people started scumreading you because you went v/la and people wanted to attack someone who couldn't defend themself? Like, I never said anything about that post... frogs voted you before it... catboi said they were sheeping me when they voted and igorsprite didn't give any reasoning. so, ????. It just seems nebulous.
Nebulous? Did you miss 318 313 and 229?
318 sure, the others catboi had other reasons to scumread you; your take seemed to me to be something like "i made this one post and now people are chomping at the bit to vote me"

You said "it seems this is the only post for it" referring to that post being the only impetus for your wagon and... catboi literally cites a different post in one of the posts you just linked. Sure catboi cited that post too eventually but it isn't the cited reason for their joining your wagon.
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #345 (ISO) » Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:02 pm

Post by catboi »

In post 343, Thynhith wrote:
In post 342, catboi wrote:
"if" you flip green?
Mate, no need to be a smartass eh? If I flip green, as in if I get limmed this day and flip green, what do you get from it?
I always feel it's worth interrogating that sort of language, because I don't know why you'd feel compelled to put "if" there instead of "when". Regardless, what that would tell me at any rate is that I need to re-assess, and frogsfrogs likely falls considerably in my estimation if you're town.
igorsprite
igorsprite
Goon
igorsprite
Goon
Goon

Post Post #346 (ISO) » Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:48 am

Post by igorsprite »

sus if
MafMen
MafMen
Mafia Scum
MafMen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #347 (ISO) » Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:28 am

Post by MafMen »

tbf in the games ive played people would get all suspicious when i used "when" instead of "if" in regards to my own alignment
~ Klick
Val89
Val89
He
Mafia Scum
Val89
He
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: He

Post Post #348 (ISO) » Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:54 am

Post by Val89 »

In post 337, catboi wrote:A wagon on you is viable, one on val is not
What makes you say a wagon on me wouldn't be viable?
In post 337, catboi wrote:I generally try to discourage preflip associations on day 1 in newbie games, but my townreads this game are decent enough that I have to start thinking in that manner.
Have you given us those more-decent-then-usual townreads, yet?
MafMen
MafMen
Mafia Scum
MafMen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #349 (ISO) » Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:55 am

Post by MafMen »

also wym conversational i wanted to be as helpful as i could in the early game
~ Klick

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”