Nomic: Wiki Edition --- Finished (More or Less)

For completed/abandoned Mish Mash Games.
Jake The Wolfie
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #450 (ISO) » Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:42 am

Post by Jake The Wolfie »

In post 444, Ircher wrote:
In post 386, Ircher wrote:Question of the Day #2
Category: Literature
Question: Which well-known Russian author's works include "Eugene Onegin", "The Belkin Tales", "The Queen of Spades", and "I Loved You"? (Again, spelling counts; however, I will accept two forms for the author's name. You must provide both a first and last name.)
Give Deimos27 2 Knowledge Points
for providing two reasonable but incorrect guesses for this question. The correct answer was
Alexander Pushkin
. I would also have accepted the spelling Aleksandr Pushkin. Pushkin is considered one of Russia's greatest poet and had a significant impact on many of Russia's later writers and poets. (Also, despite being known for his poetry, Pushkin wrote a lot of prose as well. Most of the titles I named in the question were prose.)

Question of the Day #3

Category: Mathematics
Question: What are
two
different
ways to find the derivative with respect to x of f(x)g(x) where $f$ and $g$ are arbitrary differentiable functions? (To be clear, I am looking for the names of general methods; you are free to give an example, but simply giving an example without specifying the method used is insufficient. An example of what I mean by method is that if you were asked to find (dy / dx) of f(x)g(x), one method would be to use the product rule.) Also, note that I am asking for two
different
methods. They must be substantively different and not simply a different way of using the same method.)

If you get one of them, you will get 7 KP. You will get the remaining 8 KP if you get the other one. There may be more answers than the two that I am thinking of; I will look into any "novel" ideas.
Method #1: Guess
Method #2: Newton's Method
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea
Pronoun: He / Him / His

Post Post #451 (ISO) » Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:53 am

Post by Ircher »

I should've clarified, but I meant to specify that the method needs to be an analytic method rather than a numerical method. Since I wasn't clear enough, you are free to try again immediately. (Also, guessing, while technically one way to do it, is by no means practical, so I don't think I can accept that either.) (That being said, Newton's method is used to find roots rather than derivatives.)
Last edited by Ircher on Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Links: User Page | GTKAS
Do you have questions, ideas, or feedback for the Scummies? Please pm me!
Jake The Wolfie
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #452 (ISO) » Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:56 am

Practicality, much like reality, does not deter me.
StrangerCoug
StrangerCoug
He/Him
Does not Compute
StrangerCoug
He/Him
Does not Compute
Does not Compute
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #453 (ISO) » Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:26 pm

Post by StrangerCoug »

In post 429, StrangerCoug wrote:Let's try these questions for size. Same rules apply as with Ircher's and Deimos27's question, and these are all math and science questions. For questions with math involved, you must show your work to receive any credit.
  1. A 1,600 kg car is traveling due north at 60 km/h when it collides perfectly inelastically with an 1,800 kg car traveling due east at 50 km/h. For 10 KP each:
    1. What is the total momentum of both cars?
    2. What is the velocity of both cars immediately following the collision?
    3. What is the total kinetic energy lost by both cars in the collision?
  2. Take the chemical equation Na2CO3 + HCl → NaCl + H2O + CO2. For 10 KP each:
    1. Balance the above equation.
    2. Give the names of both reactants and of all three products.
    3. This is a two-stage reaction. What type of reaction is each stage?
  3. I want to purchase a car that costs $25,000. The sales tax is 7.5% added to the price of the car. The title, registration, and other fees cost me $500. I make a down payment of 10% of the price of the car (before taxes and fees) and take out auto loan with a term of 60 months at 5% simple interest for the balance, with the tax and fees bundled into the loan. Loan payments are due monthly. For 10 KP each, to the nearest cent:
    1. How much will the auto loan be for?
    2. How much is each monthly payment?
    3. What is the total interest I will pay on the loan?
    4. How much would I save over the life of the loan if, instead of the taxes and fees being bundled into the loan, I were required to pay the taxes and fees upfront with my 10% down payment (all else being equal)?
In post 440, StrangerCoug wrote:I realize 3b might have been a bit unclear whether the monthly payments were inclusive or exclusive of interest, so I'll give
the 1 KP I withheld from Deimos27
actually, let's up it to a full 10 KP to whoever can tell me what the monthly payment is inclusive of interest.
Any other takers for 2b, 2c, 3b inclusive of interest, 3c, and 3d? I'll allow until 9:00 PM CST (that's in (expired on 2021-11-08 21:00:00)) for any more tries.
STRANGERCOUG: Stranger Than You!

Current avatar by PurryFurry of FurAffinity.

Looking for a co-mod to help me finish What Were You Thinking XV! PM me if interested.
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea

Post Post #454 (ISO) » Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:11 pm

Post by Ircher »

In post 444, Ircher wrote:Question of the Day #3
Category: Mathematics
Question: What are two different ways to find the derivative with respect to x of f(x)g(x) where $f$ and $g$ are arbitrary differentiable functions? (To be clear, I am looking for the names of general methods; you are free to give an example, but simply giving an example without specifying the method used is insufficient. An example of what I mean by method is that if you were asked to find (dy / dx) of f(x)g(x), one method would be to use the product rule.) Also, note that I am asking for two different methods. They must be substantively different and not simply a different way of using the same method.)

If you get one of them, you will get 7 KP. You will get the remaining 8 KP if you get the other one. There may be more answers than the two that I am thinking of; I will look into any "novel" ideas.
I will
give Prince Jake, son of the 7th circle, 5 KP
since guess-and-check is
technically
valid although not at all what I was looking for. The two methods I was thinking of were
logarithmic differentiation
and
the multivariable chain rule
. The former is taught in most introductory calculus courses. It involves taking the logarithm of both sides and then using implicit differentiation. The latter is something cool I stumbled upon, but it works. I refer you to this. (I will note that my question as posed may have been incorrectly posed, so I apologize if that kept people from answering. It would've probably been better if I used a specific function like (sin(x))cos(x).)

Question of the Day #4

Category: Music
Question: What term describes a pair of parallel slanted lines which are used to indicate a grand pause?

Edit 8:29 PM: Motion M001 has expired and is no longer active.
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea

Post Post #455 (ISO) » Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:46 pm

Post by Ircher »

Proposal 344: Amend rule 302 to "The player who proposes a proposal that passes gains N$25."

Motion M006: This motion lasts for 72 hours. Victory trophies are added to the shop at the cost of N$1000. When this motion expires, each player gains n * n / 2 points where n is the number of victory trophies they own.

Spoiler: Active Discussions

Code: Select all

====Pending Proposals====
 Proposal 340 (Post 404) by StrangerCoug: Rule 212 is hereby transmuted to immutable.
 Yea - StrangerCoug (404), Ircher (405), Deimos27 (409)
 Nay -
 Not Voting - lendunistus, Jake The Wolfie
 <i>This proposal requires unanimous consent to be approved.</i>

Proposal 344 (Post 455) by Ircher: Amend rule 302 to "The player who proposes a proposal that passes gains N$25."
 Yea - Ircher (455)
 Nay -
 Not Voting - lendunistus, Jake The Wolfie, StrangerCoug, Deimos27

====Pending Motions====
Use the same format as for proposals. The time limit should be part of the actual proposed motion. Please remember also that motions should be archived like proposals. (If you don't have time to archive them, just mark it as accepted/rejected and don't remove it.)

Motion M006 (Post 455) by Ircher: This motion lasts for 72 hours. Victory trophies are added to the shop at the cost of N$1000. When this motion expires, each player gains n * n / 2 points where n is the number of victory trophies they own.
 Yea - Ircher (455)
 Nay -
StrangerCoug
StrangerCoug
He/Him
Does not Compute
StrangerCoug
He/Him
Does not Compute
Does not Compute

Post Post #456 (ISO) » Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:16 pm

Post by StrangerCoug »

VOTE: Yea 344

Looking for a co-mod to help me finish What Were You Thinking XV! PM me if interested.
StrangerCoug
StrangerCoug
He/Him
Does not Compute
StrangerCoug
He/Him
Does not Compute
Does not Compute

Post Post #457 (ISO) » Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:27 pm

Post by StrangerCoug »

OK, time is up for my questions. Here are the remaining answers:

For the reactants and products of Na2CO3 + 2HCl → 2NaCl + H2O + CO2, Na2CO3 is disodium carbonate, HCl is hydrochloric acid, NaCl is sodium chloride (you probably have it in your kitchen—table salt is mostly sodium chloride), H2O is water (even though Ircher's response of "dihydrogen monoxide" is technically correct as well), and CO2 is carbon dioxide. Since Ircher gave valid IUPAC names of all the products, I will
give 5 KP to Ircher

What's happening is a double displacement reaction (also called a double replacement reaction or a salt metathesis reaction) followed by a decomposition reaction. The double displacement reaction that happens first is Na2CO3 + HCl → 2NaCl + H2CO3 (H2CO3 is carbonic acid). The decomposition reaction that follows it is H2CO3 → H2O + CO2.

For the car loan, we have simple interest here, so our formula is I = Prt, where I is the interest paid, P is the principal (here $24,375), r is the rate (here 5%), and t is the number of periods. r and t must be in the same time units, and t is typically in years, so from here on out my work assumes the 5% rate is an annual rate (I should have specified that). Since 60 months is 5 years, that works out to $24,375 * 0.05 * 5 = $6,093.75 in interest, the answer to part c. That gets added to the $24,375 principal to obtain $30,468.75; dividing that by 60 months gets you $507.81/month; the answer to part b.

Here I paid $32,968.75 for the car, but part d asks: How much would I save by paying the taxes and fees upfront with my down payment? 10% of $25,000 is obviously $2,500, and 7.5% of it is $1,875. Add those to the $500 fees and that's $4,875 paid toward the car already. My loan would only be for $22,500, for which I'd pay $5,625 interest on according to the formula. $22,500 + $5,625 + $4,875 = $33,000, so here I'd actually incur a $31.25 loss—though if anyone sees any mistakes in my math, I'll give 10 KP to anyone who points it out.

Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea

Post Post #458 (ISO) » Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:14 pm

Post by Ircher »

In post 457, StrangerCoug wrote:Here I paid $32,968.75 for the car, but part d asks: How much would I save by paying the taxes and fees upfront with my down payment? 10% of $25,000 is obviously $2,500, and 7.5% of it is $1,875. Add those to the $500 fees and that's $4,875 paid toward the car already. My loan would only be for $22,500, for which I'd pay $5,625 interest on according to the formula. $22,500 + $5,625 + $4,875 = $33,000, so here I'd actually incur a $31.25 loss—though if anyone sees any mistakes in my math, I'll give 10 KP to anyone who points it out.
So I had to stare at this a while, but it feels really wrong that you'd lose money by paying more up front. After all, the overall interest should be less, but the rest should be the same.

Okay, originally, we had:

2500 + (27375 - 2500) + 6093.75 = 27375 + 6093.75 =

With the upfront fees, we have:

4875 + (27375 - 4875) + 5625.00 = 27375 + 5625.00 = 33000

So we should be saving $468.75 which is much more sensible than the original loss. (So in other words, everything was correct except you wrote the principal down wrong for the original scenario. Deimos27's answer was correct, so I presume it was a typo.)
StrangerCoug
StrangerCoug
He/Him
Does not Compute
StrangerCoug
He/Him
Does not Compute
Does not Compute

Post Post #459 (ISO) » Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:16 pm

Post by StrangerCoug »

Ahh... That's where I messed up, then.
Give 10 KP to Ircher.

Jake The Wolfie
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #460 (ISO) » Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:36 pm

In post 455, Ircher wrote:
Proposal 344: Amend rule 302 to "The player who proposes a proposal that passes gains N$25."

Motion M006: This motion lasts for 72 hours. Victory trophies are added to the shop at the cost of N$1000. When this motion expires, each player gains n * n / 2 points where n is the number of victory trophies they own.

Spoiler: Active Discussions

Code: Select all

====Pending Proposals====
 Proposal 340 (Post 404) by StrangerCoug: Rule 212 is hereby transmuted to immutable.
 Yea - StrangerCoug (404), Ircher (405), Deimos27 (409)
 Nay -
 Not Voting - lendunistus, Jake The Wolfie
 <i>This proposal requires unanimous consent to be approved.</i>

Proposal 344 (Post 455) by Ircher: Amend rule 302 to "The player who proposes a proposal that passes gains N$25."
 Yea - Ircher (455)
 Nay -

====Pending Motions====
Use the same format as for proposals. The time limit should be part of the actual proposed motion. Please remember also that motions should be archived like proposals. (If you don't have time to archive them, just mark it as accepted/rejected and don't remove it.)

Motion M006 (Post 455) by Ircher: This motion lasts for 72 hours. Victory trophies are added to the shop at the cost of N$1000. When this motion expires, each player gains n * n / 2 points where n is the number of victory trophies they own.
 Yea - Ircher (455)
 Nay -
Ircher why Motion m006
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea

Post Post #461 (ISO) » Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:40 am

Post by Ircher »

I feel we should still have a way to earn points, but I also think it is good to have points earned in a different way than simply by making proposals. That was something we did early game to get stuff started, but now that the game has matured some, we could branch out into other things. Also, we need more uses for Nomic Dollars.

What were we going to do with the mana stuff? I would love to see that fleshed out some more.
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea

Post Post #462 (ISO) » Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:06 pm

Post by Ircher »

In post 454, Ircher wrote:Question of the Day #4
Question: What term describes a pair of parallel slanted lines which are used to indicate a grand pause?
I'm giving this question another hour or two before I reveal the answer.

Edit: Extended to 9 am EST: (expired on 2021-11-10 09:00:00).
Last edited by Ircher on Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deimos27
Deimos27
Mafia Scum
Deimos27
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #463 (ISO) » Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:34 pm

Post by Deimos27 »

I still care about this game just uber busy with school and have other on-site commitments. Will be back
Jake The Wolfie
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #464 (ISO) » Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:35 pm

In post 462, Ircher wrote:
In post 454, Ircher wrote:Question of the Day #4
I'm giving this question another hour or two before I reveal the answer.
Probably something really latin, and translates to "for the love of FUCK shut the fuck up"
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea

Post Post #465 (ISO) » Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:02 am

Post by Ircher »

The correct answer was
caesura

Question of the Day #5

Category: Religion
Question: In Islam, hadiths are considered the oral sayings of the Prophet Muhammad. What are the two parts that they consist of? (You can either give the name of the parts or a description of the parts.)

You will have (expired on 2021-11-10 22:00:00) to answer.

Edit: Prodding lendunistus (2d 5h).

Edit2: Proposal 340 expired.
Deimos27
Deimos27
Mafia Scum
Deimos27
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #466 (ISO) » Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:12 pm

Post by Deimos27 »

This one is so far outside my wheelhouse ngl
Deimos27
Deimos27
Mafia Scum
Deimos27
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #467 (ISO) » Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:13 pm

Post by Deimos27 »

VOTE: Aye 344[/vote]
Deimos27
Deimos27
Mafia Scum
Deimos27
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #468 (ISO) » Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:13 pm

Post by Deimos27 »

VOTE: Aye 344
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea

Post Post #469 (ISO) » Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:52 pm

Post by Ircher »

Proposal 344 passes. We have no active proposals and only my victory trophy motion is pending.
StrangerCoug
StrangerCoug
He/Him
Does not Compute
StrangerCoug
He/Him
Does not Compute
Does not Compute

Post Post #470 (ISO) » Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:33 pm

Post by StrangerCoug »

VOTE: Yea M006

Jake The Wolfie
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #471 (ISO) » Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:35 pm

Proposal 345: Any immutable rule may be altered or deleted via unanimous consent without first transmuting it.
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea

Post Post #472 (ISO) » Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:41 pm

Post by Ircher »

Do you have a particular immutable rule you are looking to alter?
Jake The Wolfie
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #473 (ISO) » Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:43 pm

Nope, this is purely for political gain, Ircher.
Also, it skips the hassle of making 3 different proposals just to alter 1 immutable rule.
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea

Post Post #474 (ISO) » Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:44 pm

Post by Ircher »

VOTE: Nay 345
Give Jake The Wolfie one Knowledge Point.

Return to “Sens-O-Tape Archive”