[OLD] Open Setup Ideas and Discussion

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
ElectricBadger
ElectricBadger
Mafia Scum
ElectricBadger
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1275 (ISO) » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:21 pm

Post by ElectricBadger »

Still the same issue IMO. The best play by the lawyer is to do nothing. I suggest removing the mafia lovers if you want to keep the lawyer, or make some radical alteration.
ElectricBadger
ElectricBadger
Mafia Scum
ElectricBadger
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1276 (ISO) » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:54 pm

Post by ElectricBadger »

Judgement of the Dead Mafia:

2 Mafia Goons
8 Vanilla Townies

-Game begins N0, with a mafia kill.
-Voting is done ONLY by dead players. Dead players may ONLY post votes.

Quirks: Keeps all the players involved in the game until it's over; forces mafia players to choose how to deal with problem townies (let them keep talking or give them a vote).
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #1277 (ISO) » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:56 pm

Post by Mr. Flay »

LOLwut? How are you thinking of wording Win Conditions?
Retired as of October 2014.
animorpherv1
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
Honey Trap

Post Post #1278 (ISO) » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:25 pm

Post by animorpherv1 »

ElectricBadger wrote:Still the same issue IMO. The best play by the lawyer is to do nothing. I suggest removing the mafia lovers if you want to keep the lawyer, or make some radical alteration.
I desperatley want to keep the lawyer, so expect an alteration with Mafia-Town lover pairs.
"Animorpherv1's posts are so powerful that prolonged exposure may cause vertigo, nausea, acute tinnitus, and in rare cases, death." - vonflare

"Ani is right 100% of the time" - Alisae
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #1279 (ISO) » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:17 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

5W:
  • Mafia Roleblocker
  • Mafia Goon
  • Tracker
    Watcher (per discussion)
  • Doctor
  • 5 Townies
Day start.

I want to see this in operation once or twice before suggesting it to VRK as a replacement for F11. I don't think it is susceptible to the old "Investigative Role claims, Doctor protects while Investigator hunts" problem, because the RB can just stop an outed
Cop
Tracker while the Goon hunts the Doc.
Last edited by Mr. Flay on Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ether
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Lyrical Rampage
Pronoun:

Post Post #1280 (ISO) » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:21 am

Post by Ether »

So...Pie E7 with two extra townies and the cop weakened? I guess it doesn't have that Day 2 massclaim issue, but F11 still seems like a much better game. Why does it need a replacement?
As I move my vote
Towards your wagon, town is taking note
It fills my head up and gets louder and
LOUDER
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #1281 (ISO) » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:34 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

25% of the time (in theory) the game is REALLY unbalanced: RGTTTTTTT. We can't reliably win 2G10T mountainous games; we still manage about 30% wins there through sheer dumb luck, but it's not really satisfying to me that it's a possibility. It's mostly a necessary evil in F11 because the 'random role selection' element gets reductionist if you just include the other three possibilities.

The other reason is that, frankly, I don't think teaching our newbies to play Follow-the-Cop is best.
Elmo
Elmo
Mafia Scum
Elmo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1282 (ISO) » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:36 am

Post by Elmo »

If it were me, I would at least mix in 2:5 nightless or so. Just sayin'...
Succinctness is pro-town.

Passion is inversely proportional to the amount of real information available. ~ Gregory Benford
Ether
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Lyrical Rampage
Pronoun:

Post Post #1283 (ISO) » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:53 am

Post by Ether »

The thing about vanilla F11 is that scum still have to act differently, and town gets stuff to work with from that. (Also, I think it's likely that
knowing
the setup to have no power roles demoralizes players in 2:10.) It isn't "REALLY" unbalanced, and I'm pretty sure 35% wins is much better than random. Its odds aren't dramatically different from the other three F11 outcomes, aside from Cop-doctor.

I think teaching our newbies to play "automatically assume the claimed power role is town if nobody has counterclaimed" is a much bigger issue, that all of those non-C9-style setups perpetrate. I like that F11 gives town more information to work with in vanilla.

Plus, in F11, the cop can't actually be followed unless the town lynches the roleblocker (not the goon) on Day 1 and doesn't manage to take the doctor down with it. Scum have to protect the roleblocker to keep that from happening. (It's argued that this is a feature, not a bug, though to be honest I just see it as a necessary evil.)
As I move my vote
LOUDER
farside22
farside22
Mafia Mum
farside22
Mafia Mum
Mafia Mum

Post Post #1284 (ISO) » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:38 pm

Post by farside22 »

Mr. Flay wrote:
5W:
  • Mafia Roleblocker
  • Mafia Goon
  • Tracker
  • Doctor
  • 5(?) Townies
Day start.

I want to see this in operation once or twice before suggesting it to VRK as a replacement for F11. I don't think it is susceptible to the old "Investigative Role claims, Doctor protects while Investigator hunts" problem, because the RB can just stop an outed
Cop
Tracker while the Goon hunts the Doc.
Question. Is the doctor and the tracker in the game or is a possiblity of being in the game like F11?
9 player game 1 mafa RB, 1 goon. I think I would miss the possible fake claims that mafia can pull in the game.
Sarcasm is just a way of saying how stupid you think someone is but in a more polite way.
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1285 (ISO) » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:59 pm

Post by Zachrulez »

Ether wrote:So...Pie E7 with two extra townies and the cop weakened? I guess it doesn't have that Day 2 massclaim issue, but F11 still seems like a much better game. Why does it need a replacement?
Actually there might be a perk to that setup in the fact that the tracker could also catch the ROLEBLOCKER.
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1286 (ISO) » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:02 pm

Post by Zachrulez »

Mr. Flay wrote:25% of the time (in theory) the game is REALLY unbalanced: RGTTTTTTT. We can't reliably win 2G10T mountainous games; we still manage about 30% wins there through sheer dumb luck, but it's not really satisfying to me that it's a possibility. It's mostly a necessary evil in F11 because the 'random role selection' element gets reductionist if you just include the other three possibilities.

The other reason is that, frankly, I don't think teaching our newbies to play Follow-the-Cop is best.
I don't really see mountainous as a problem, if anything it's the IDEAL teaching tool, and follow the cop is much less of a problem in newbie games in F11 than it has been in past setups.
Ether
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Lyrical Rampage
Pronoun:

Post Post #1287 (ISO) » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:34 pm

Post by Ether »

Zach wrote:Actually there might be a perk to that setup in the fact that the tracker could also catch the ROLEBLOCKER.
Huh? I got that it can do that, but where's the perk?
As I move my vote
LOUDER
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1288 (ISO) » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:58 pm

Post by Zachrulez »

Ether wrote:
Zach wrote:Actually there might be a perk to that setup in the fact that the tracker could also catch the ROLEBLOCKER.
Huh? I got that it can do that, but where's the perk?
... lol, yeah long day of work and I forgot that the cop would get a guilty on the roleblocker...

That's what happens when you think about things with a tracker mindset.

Have no idea what I was talking about now... :oops:
Last edited by Zachrulez on Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1289 (ISO) » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:59 pm

Post by Zachrulez »

Anyway, something tells me that type of game would turn into a doc claiming fest a good percentage of the time.
Elmo
Elmo
Mafia Scum
Elmo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1290 (ISO) » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:27 pm

Post by Elmo »

I have faint memories of proposing that exact setup a while ago. I may just be imagining stuff. But I think someone came up with that or something like it when brainstorming for what became F11. I have no idea which thread, though :(

I.. think a problem is you've got two roles confirmed in the game. That means a) scum can never fakeclaim without being caught (e.g. cop gambits) and b) endgames are much harder due to that. You're highly likely to have a 50:50 or at least one confirmed innocent.

Passion is inversely proportional to the amount of real information available. ~ Gregory Benford
Elmo
Elmo
Mafia Scum
Elmo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1291 (ISO) » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:16 pm

Post by Elmo »

Nameless Experimental #1

1 Mafia Goon
1 Mafia Cop Killer
1 Cop
1 Doc
5 Townies

The Cop Killer will kill the Cop when performing the nightkill regardless of whether the Cop is protected by the Doc or not. It will not kill a Townie if the Townie is protected by the Doc. (This is fairly close to Bird C9.)

animorpherv1
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
Honey Trap

Post Post #1292 (ISO) » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:19 pm

Post by animorpherv1 »

@Elmo:

Elmo C10?
"Animorpherv1's posts are so powerful that prolonged exposure may cause vertigo, nausea, acute tinnitus, and in rare cases, death." - vonflare

"Ani is right 100% of the time" - Alisae
bird1111
bird1111
He
Mafia Scum
bird1111
He
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: He

Post Post #1293 (ISO) » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:53 pm

Post by bird1111 »

Elmo wrote:
Nameless Experimental #1

1 Mafia Goon
1 Mafia Cop Killer
1 Cop
1 Doc
5 Townies

The Cop Killer will kill the Cop when performing the nightkill regardless of whether the Cop is protected by the Doc or not. It will not kill a Townie if the Townie is protected by the Doc. (This is fairly close to Bird C9.)
Doesn't the mafia auto-lose if the Mafia Cop Killer is lynched Day One and the town massclaims Day 2 for the same reason the mafia autoloses Pie E7 if the Roleblocker is lynched Day 1? Because of that, I think the Cop Killer needs to be an inherit trait for both Mafia members.
Alduskkel
Alduskkel
Jack of All Trades
Alduskkel
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1294 (ISO) » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:47 pm

Post by Alduskkel »

bird1111 wrote:
Elmo wrote:
Nameless Experimental #1

1 Mafia Goon
1 Mafia Cop Killer
1 Cop
1 Doc
5 Townies

Doesn't the mafia auto-lose if the Mafia Cop Killer is lynched Day One and the town massclaims Day 2 for the same reason the mafia autoloses Pie E7 if the Roleblocker is lynched Day 1? Because of that, I think the Cop Killer needs to be an inherit trait for both Mafia members.
In other words, it needs to be Bird C9. :lol:
CLICK HERE FOR THE ALDUSKKEL APPRECIATION PAGE
"i've only known aldus for four and a half months but if anything happened to him i would kill everyone in this room and then myself" -Datisi, March 28 2020
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #1295 (ISO) » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:52 pm

Post by Mr. Flay »

Ether wrote:The thing about vanilla F11 is that scum still have to act differently, and town gets stuff to work with from that. (Also, I think it's likely that
knowing
the setup to have no power roles demoralizes players in 2:10.) It isn't "REALLY" unbalanced, and I'm pretty sure 35% wins is much better than random. Its odds aren't dramatically different from the other three F11 outcomes, aside from Cop-doctor.
I think we need a bigger sample, but I'll concede the point that the latest numbers don't show a big difference (which perplexes me, since 'regular games' show a huge difference. Is the demoralization effect that big?
Elmo wrote:If it were me, I would at least mix in 2:5 nightless or so. Just sayin'...
LOLwut?
farside22 wrote:Question. Is the doctor and the tracker in the game or is a possiblity of being in the game like F11?
That's the only setup - no percentages like F11/C9.

I guess I see the concern with false claims, but isn't that always a concern with a game that small? It's always going to be swingy, which is why we're playing 9p in the first place (to reduce the chance of LyLo D2).
Elmo
Elmo
Mafia Scum
Elmo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1296 (ISO) » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:53 pm

Post by Elmo »

animorpherv1 wrote:Elmo C10?
I am actually not seriously proposing this setup and do not want my name attached to it very much please :)
bird1111 wrote:Doesn't the mafia auto-lose if the Mafia Cop Killer is lynched Day One and the town massclaims Day 2 for the same reason the mafia autoloses Pie E7 if the Roleblocker is lynched Day 1? Because of that, I think the Cop Killer needs to be an inherit trait for both Mafia members.
Yes. I disagree, because Pie E7.
Mr. Flay wrote:LOLwut?
That. Running vanilla nightless newbie games with whatever numbers would be awesomesauce.

TheButtonmen
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
Buns of Steel

Post Post #1297 (ISO) » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:09 pm

Post by TheButtonmen »

Not quite mountainous:

2 Masons.
8 VTs.
2 Goons.
Routine day with a dirt cheap brush
Then a week goes by and it goes untouched
Then two, then three, then a month
Then the rest of your life, you beat yourself up
Vel-Rahn Koon
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Virginia's Trump

Post Post #1298 (ISO) » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:54 am

Post by Vel-Rahn Koon »

Mr. Flay wrote:
Ether wrote:The thing about vanilla F11 is that scum still have to act differently, and town gets stuff to work with from that. (Also, I think it's likely that
knowing
I think we need a bigger sample, but I'll concede the point that the latest numbers don't show a big difference (which perplexes me, since 'regular games' show a huge difference. Is the demoralization effect that big?
I think the issue here is that the majority of the players in an F11 setup are Newbies with little to no experience. Those with experience are experienced outside of the way we do things here. Balance is done assuming optimal play from all players, which is inherently missing in a Newbie game.
The Newbie Queue ALWAYS needs ICs and Mods!

Are you willing to help out? Check the Queue title to see what roles we need filled!
Vel-Rahn Koon
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Virginia's Trump

Post Post #1299 (ISO) » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:02 am

Post by Vel-Rahn Koon »

Won't the Tracker auto-nail the Mafia doing the killing, since the Tracker would be told that "Player X went to Player Y's house last night". The next day Player Y turns up dead. Player X is scum.

Am I missing something about the Tracker role? It seems with only 1 killing group in an F11 setup you're giving the tracker too much power, because he automatically knows that the person doing the killing must be scum, and not necessarily a pro-Town killing role like a Vig or similar.
The Newbie Queue ALWAYS needs ICs and Mods!

Are you willing to help out? Check the Queue title to see what roles we need filled!

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”