inHimshallibe (4) Elscouta, Mr.Sandman, Beefster, ConfidAnon
Chronopie (1) ODDin
ConfidAnon (1) Slepz
Beefster (3) Scott Brosius, inHimshallibe, easjo682
Mr. Chaos (1) XScorpion
(No vote) Mr. Chaos
12 alive; 7 votes lynch.
Elscouta wrote:
inHimshallibe wrote:The word choice is being blown way out of proportion, and I mean WAY.

unvote
vote: Beefster

Scummy spin when accusing me/easjo of prolonging the RVS.
We waited so long for this rebuttal? I'm disappointed by you, my friend.

On the other hand, i'm happy to see my vote in a good place.
:kicksrock:

Seriously, though, there's not much to be said, besides "Nuh uh!"

I will work on being a good little boy in this game again, but the weekend likely won't allow that.
Show
"I'm from Indiana. I know what you're thinking: Indiana... Mafia." - Jim Gaffigan

Mod of the continuing World of Warcraft Dungeon Run series
:

Mini 1135 - Mafia in the Deadmines
Mini 1208 - Mafia in the Scarlet Monastery
ConfidAnon
ConfidAnon
Mafia Scum
ConfidAnon
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #126 (ISO) » Sat May 29, 2010 3:07 am

Post by ConfidAnon »

inHimshallibe, 125 wrote:kicksrock:

Seriously, though, there's not much to be said, besides "Nuh uh!"
I'm not liking this at all. If something is being blown WAY out of proportion, there would be more to say than that.
ODDin
ODDin
Mafia Scum
ODDin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #127 (ISO) » Sat May 29, 2010 4:43 am

Post by ODDin »

inhim, you were the one who kept the fire burning for most of the beginning of page 3. And then you even kept your vote on me. I don't really think you're in the position of accusing others of blowing it out of proportion.
Also, you still didn't answer how the setup made the exchange in page 3 any more "intriguing" than usual.
Mr. Chaos
Mr. Chaos
Goon
Mr. Chaos
Goon
Goon

Post Post #128 (ISO) » Sat May 29, 2010 3:21 pm

Post by Mr. Chaos »

ODDin wrote:
inHimshallibe wrote:Starting bandwagons isn't inherently scummy, as they are the town's main tool.
However
, when I read ODDin's post, I thought he was using devious means to get others to join the bandwagon.
Ooh yeah, I was certainly being devious. As devious as it gets. :roll:
Seriously, do you actually think that scum-me sat down and thought "hmm, yeah, I'm gonna use the word 'better' and that's gonna make the whole town follow me blindly onto the wagon"? How does that even make sense?

Also, I don't quite see how the setup makes sandman's actions any more intriguing than usual.
Although he is, I think, digging too much into things, like lots of people here. People really need to sit back and ask themselves "hey, do I actually think that scum-X sat and plotted and decided to do what he did as part of his scum strategy?"
This is, for instance, why I think scorp's argument on eas is pretty crappy. It doesn't really make sense for scum-eas to fool around any more than it does for town-eas.
I dont know why anyone hasn't picked up on this already, but this post is so incredibly full of WIFOM it's not funny. While I don't agree with inHim's reasons for voting ODD, I really dislike ODD's reply any more.

I'll have more to post later, doing a thread reread.
Show
wher doin this man
WHERE MAKIN THIS HAPEN

-Records-
Side: W-D-L
Town: 0-0-1
Scum: 1-0-0
Other: 0-0-0
ODDin
ODDin
Mafia Scum
ODDin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #129 (ISO) » Sat May 29, 2010 10:52 pm

Post by ODDin »

If you wanna call it WIFOM go ahead and do, but what I'm saying stands. To say something is scummy implies that the one accused either planned whatever he did as part of a deliberate scum strategy or made an unconscious slip. Since the things discussed in my post don't really fall under the category of slips, they need to have been planned ahead in order to be scummy. And it'd be better for people to actually think if it makes sense.
Mr. Chaos
Mr. Chaos
Goon
Mr. Chaos
Goon
Goon

Post Post #130 (ISO) » Sun May 30, 2010 6:13 am

Post by Mr. Chaos »

ODDin wrote:If you wanna call it WIFOM go ahead and do, but what I'm saying stands. To say something is scummy implies that the one accused either planned whatever he did as part of a deliberate scum strategy or made an unconscious slip. Since the things discussed in my post don't really fall under the category of slips, they need to have been planned ahead in order to be scummy. And it'd be better for people to actually think if it makes sense.
I'm not debating whether or not this was planned or not, considering we're talking about easjo. What I am curious about is why we need to think "does it makes sense for this player to do this as scum." I doubt considering if scum would do this to be anything more than WIFOM because it does not assist in finding scum, but instead creates indecision that will not benefit the town in any way.
Show
wher doin this man
WHERE MAKIN THIS HAPEN

-Records-
ODDin
ODDin
Mafia Scum
ODDin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #131 (ISO) » Sun May 30, 2010 6:40 am

Post by ODDin »

We were talking about my actions too.

However, as I have said previously, my current experience shows me that actually trying to figure out how the player's actions fall into a certain pattern helps more in finding scum than just going for individual isolated scum-tells.
People sometimes say "this and that is a scum-tell", but if you stop and think about it for a moment, it doesn't make any sense for scum to do such a thing. From a strictly logical point of view it is somewhat of a WIFOM, but sometimes you just need to use common sense. Because otherwise, every single argument can be called WIFOM, other than mod-granted info.
XScorpion
XScorpion
Mafia Scum
XScorpion
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #132 (ISO) » Sun May 30, 2010 6:53 am

Post by XScorpion »

Would you care to enlighten us as to what sorts of behaviours scum tend to exhibit that the rest of town does not?
ODDin
ODDin
Mafia Scum
ODDin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #133 (ISO) » Sun May 30, 2010 7:58 am

Post by ODDin »

The question itself contradicts what I'm trying to say here. What I'm trying to say, which I'm not saying is the paragon of truth, but rather a method of scumhunting I'm trying to adopt after witnessing the shameful failure of my previous method, is that instead of looking for specific isolated behvaiours (that is, scum-tells) that scum exhibit while town don't, one would be better off trying to think whether it makes more sense for a scum-X to be acting that way or for a town-X. This depends not only on a single action, but on that person's whole play in that game.
For instance, in the game Zombies, one of the players claimed cop on D1, and then retracted that claim and said he wasn't actually a cop. Most of the town went ahead and merrily lynched him. However, one player - also town - insisted that the fake-cop is simply stupid townie. As it turned out, he was correct. The reason he said that was that overall, the player's behaviour was more town than scum in his opinion, and it made more sense that the player was a stupid townie than scum.

So, what I'm saying is, instead of blindly saying "this is a recognised scum-tell let's lynch", it might be smarter to think whether it actually looks like that player is scum or like that player is town.

As I've said, I'm not preaching this as a single correct philosophy. It's just that I think looking at specific behaviours in isolation can often miss a greater point.

Am I getting my point across or is this just an incoherent ramble?
XScorpion
XScorpion
Mafia Scum
XScorpion
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #134 (ISO) » Sun May 30, 2010 8:38 am

Post by XScorpion »

You're kind of getting your point across, but that doesn't tell me what I want to know.
ODDin wrote:So, what I'm saying is, instead of blindly saying "this is a recognised scum-tell let's lynch", it might be smarter to think whether it actually looks like that player is scum or like that player is town.
What does scum look like?
ODDin
ODDin
Mafia Scum
ODDin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #135 (ISO) » Sun May 30, 2010 9:46 am

Post by ODDin »

It's more of a general feeling and impression. As I've said, it's the first game I'm actually trying this approach, so I can't really speak from experience.
Without going into too much detail to allow scum to do the exact opposite of what I'm going to say and thus fool me, I'd expect all, or at least most, of the player's actions fall into a certain pattern that fits a reasonable scum strategy, while not fitting a reasonable town strategy.
XScorpion
XScorpion
Mafia Scum
XScorpion
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #136 (ISO) » Sun May 30, 2010 12:22 pm

Post by XScorpion »

Which of course, doesn't account for WIFOM.

I honestly can't say I agree with your approach, but after this game if you manage to catch scum and I don't then maybe I'll adopt your method.
Chronopie
Chronopie
Mafia Scum
Chronopie
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #137 (ISO) » Sun May 30, 2010 3:51 pm

Post by Chronopie »

Having reread the thread, I dislike the way that mr. sandman jumped on Inhim for jumping on oddin's use of 'better', its sounds, to me, of either a) Chainsaw defence of a scum buddy, or b) scum defending a townie, to earn town cred. (or at least someone not of his faction).

Additionally, elscouta is pushing for an inhim wagon with adequate (or any) reason, with gems such as
There's too much debate around easjo and not enough votes on inHim.
Confidanon gave very little reason for placing inhim at L-3, only stating that he disliked inhim's use of word choice as a vote reason. I don't really see why there's much more to say.

Slepz is lurker
@Mod: Prod please

On Inhim: The word choice wasn't really a good thing to attempt to push a wagon on.
I did not jump on ODDin because he placed a "serious vote." I voted ODDin because he claimed his vote was better than a random vote. I would have been OK with "more than a random vote" or "finally, something besides a random vote" but "better"? No, that's dishonest.
sounds like BS reasoning to justify what was, essentially, little better than a random vote. The vote on Beefster appears to be largely unprovoked.
Show
He's
baaa-aaack

~Chrono

League of Legends
Chronopie (30) || Greyscale Aeon (12)

Steam: Chronopie

Apathy = Vanilla [/self-meta]

Because turrets are just there to give poppy a free stun ~Rayfrost
inHimshallibe
inHimshallibe
SmartyPants
inHimshallibe
SmartyPants
SmartyPants

Post Post #138 (ISO) » Mon May 31, 2010 4:09 am

Post by inHimshallibe »

Yes, that Beefster vote was half-assed, but still serious. I won't lie when I say I've been avoiding prods.

Alright, so enough about me. More to come.
Show
"I'm from Indiana. I know what you're thinking: Indiana... Mafia." - Jim Gaffigan

:

Elscouta
Elscouta
Goon
Elscouta
Goon
Goon

Post Post #139 (ISO) » Mon May 31, 2010 10:24 am

Post by Elscouta »

Elscouta wrote:
V/LA Notice : Serious real life issues have been impairing my access and will probably continue to impair it until Thursday. I apologize to everyone.
I'm town. Please lynch someone else.
easjo682
easjo682
Goon
easjo682
Goon
Goon

Post Post #140 (ISO) » Mon May 31, 2010 11:12 pm

Post by easjo682 »

Chaos wrote:I'm not debating whether or not this was planned or not, considering we're talking about easjo.
how does this effect anything, what you mean when you say concidering its me?

ODDin wrote: People sometimes say "this and that is a scum-tell", but if you stop and think about it for a moment, it doesn't make any sense for scum to do such a thing. From a strictly logical point of view it is somewhat of a WIFOM, but sometimes you just need to use common sense. Because otherwise, every single argument can be called WIFOM, other than mod-granted info.
QFT
[i]Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?[/i]

for the most part: [b]V/LA on weekends[/b]
GMT +12 (New Zealand)
XScorpion
XScorpion
Mafia Scum
XScorpion
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #141 (ISO) » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:45 am

Post by XScorpion »

Hey Mr. Chaos, who is scum?
inHimshallibe
inHimshallibe
SmartyPants
inHimshallibe
SmartyPants
SmartyPants

Post Post #142 (ISO) » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:20 am

Post by inHimshallibe »

OK, an actual attempt at scumhunting will come today. Lynch me otherwise.
Show

:

Mr.Sandman
Mr.Sandman
Goon
Mr.Sandman
Goon
Goon

Post Post #143 (ISO) » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:21 am

Post by Mr.Sandman »

Apologies. Was away over the bank holiday weekend.

I take back what I said about VI and scum, given that it seems like about half the players in this game have got evidence of playing it and it working ha.
XScorpion wrote:Which of course, doesn't account for WIFOM.

I honestly can't say I agree with your approach, but after this game if you manage to catch scum and I don't then maybe I'll adopt your method.
I don't like this post. It comes across as xScorpion claiming to be town, as well as knowing ODDin's alignment, both of which are scummy. The fact that there are two scum groups clouds this slightly, however, given that scum can catch scum as well and therefore everyone in the game is essentially scumhunting.
Chronopie wrote:Having reread the thread, I dislike the way that mr. sandman jumped on Inhim for jumping on oddin's use of 'better', its sounds, to me, of either a) Chainsaw defence of a scum buddy, or b) scum defending a townie, to earn town cred. (or at least someone not of his faction).
I think you're picking and choosing your targets. I don't like the inconsistency in your play. Why do you dislike the way I 'jump' on inhim, but you have no qualms with the 3 players that raised similar points before me? My point was that I saw a contradiction in what he had said.
Confidanon gave very little reason for placing inhim at L-3, only stating that he disliked inhim's use of word choice as a vote reason. I don't really see why there's much more to say.
Why's it so scummy to place someone at L-3? He did give a reason. Do you have to give more indepth reasons for lynching someone the closer to the lynch they get? I don't see what's any different to ConfidAnon's reason for voting for inHim as anyone elses reason for voting him.

unvote, vote Chronopie

Contradictory arguments are scummy.
Mr. Chaos
Mr. Chaos
Goon
Mr. Chaos
Goon
Goon

Post Post #144 (ISO) » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:22 am

Post by Mr. Chaos »

easjo682 wrote:
Chaos wrote:I'm not debating whether or not this was planned or not, considering we're talking about easjo.
how does this effect anything, what you mean when you say considering its me?
Considering the style of VI your playing as. It deviates from the normal VI I would expect to appear, and sort of rocks in this gray area between VI and Normal play.
XScorpion wrote:Hey Mr. Chaos, who is scum?
you

In all seriousness, I dislike Elscouta's and Chrono's play. I'm really more likely to vote for them than some others. I won't lie when I say I feel like my reads this game are totally off balanced, and I really dislike my play this game as well.

I dislike the inHim wagon, but I'm not entirely opposed to it. From what I've seen of his play, its not too far off, but it strikes me a little bit odd. Also this post:
OK, an actual attempt at scumhunting will come today. Lynch me otherwise.
Is pretty much total defeatism and I dislike it. But it also gives me a small town vibe as well, which doesn't sit well with me either.

I really think though, that Crono needs to get in this game more. I would really like to hear more from him, and I feel the only way may be to:

Vote: Chrono
Show
wher doin this man
WHERE MAKIN THIS HAPEN

-Records-
XScorpion
XScorpion
Mafia Scum
XScorpion
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #145 (ISO) » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:30 pm

Post by XScorpion »

Sandman wrote: I don't like this post. It comes across as xScorpion claiming to be town, as well as knowing ODDin's alignment, both of which are scummy. The fact that there are two scum groups clouds this slightly, however, given that scum can catch scum as well and therefore everyone in the game is essentially scumhunting.
I assume that even if ODDin is scum, he's scumhunting too, so at the end of the game I guess we'll see if he manages to discover who his enemies are.

I think there is scum on Inhim's bandwagon. Beefster's argument is absolutely horrible yet people have been flocking to push it.
@Mr. Sandman: any particular reason that you haven't voted beefster despite your many suggestions that he does scummy things?
@Confid: What's your opinion on Beefster and his attack of Inhim? Do you have any reads on people other than Inhim?
@Elscouta: Do you share ODDin's opinion of evaluating strategy over scumtells? If so, why does Inhim's play constitute scum? If not, what scumtells has he given besides the obvious "he voted for the first person to leave RVS?"
@Beefster: Do you care to make an argument against Inhim that isn't filled with hypocrisy?
@All four of you: If Inhim is scum, who is scum with him?

Of the four, if I had to guess at one being scum, I would say Elscouta. I don't like his sudden unvote of easjo, his coaching of Beefster, and his relentless assault on Inhim.
unvote
Vote: Elscouta
Beefster
Beefster
Mafia Scum
Beefster
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #146 (ISO) » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:53 pm

Post by Beefster »

Y'know what? My case
was
weak. But relatively, for the current moment, it's average. There isn't much info to go by yet. Nothing really has come out inHim.
Unvote
I still feel he's hiding something, but I'm at loss to any links. In fact, I find it strange that anyone could possibly decide to follow me in my stupid argument.

Honestly, I've been tunneling too much. I think Elscouta deserves more attention. I'll give him a proper analysis later. I have family over and don't have much time to post.
On hiatus indefinitely. This was a nice distraction when I was working through my faith transition out of Mormonism, but I need to move on to bigger and better things now.
Get to know a meat boy
inHimshallibe
inHimshallibe
SmartyPants
inHimshallibe
SmartyPants
SmartyPants

Post Post #147 (ISO) » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:20 am

Post by inHimshallibe »

Elscouta wrote:Good. I'm happy to know you are town.
Unvote

On the other hand, i'm unhappy with inhim jumping on the first person to place a serious vote (and i liked the vote)

Vote: inHim
Actually, um, yeah, this came before Beefster, and could have been where the whole spin-fed nonsense of voting me came about.
XScorpion wrote:I don't share your feelings, and I don't see why you need to unvote so quickly.
unvote
Vote: Easjo

I don't like easjo's reasons for voting, and playing like a VI with "voices in your head" makes me suspicious.
[/hypocrisy]
easjo wrote:I don't see any problem with Oddins vote, should I?
You should, because you just said that you were voting for inhim because "he came up with a reason to switch his vote in RVS which as we all know is the single most scummy thing ever," which ODDin did first.
easjo wrote:I see a need to change my vote,
easjo wrote: also no real reason for switching my vote.
Self-contradiction is a scumtell.
This post is off. It's not really a contradiction.
Show

:

Mr.Sandman
Mr.Sandman
Goon
Mr.Sandman
Goon
Goon

Post Post #148 (ISO) » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:38 am

Post by Mr.Sandman »

XScorpion wrote:
Sandman wrote: I don't like this post. It comes across as xScorpion claiming to be town, as well as knowing ODDin's alignment, both of which are scummy. The fact that there are two scum groups clouds this slightly, however, given that scum can catch scum as well and therefore everyone in the game is essentially scumhunting.
I assume that even if ODDin is scum, he's scumhunting too, so at the end of the game I guess we'll see if he manages to discover who his enemies are.

I think there is scum on Inhim's bandwagon. Beefster's argument is absolutely horrible yet people have been flocking to push it.
@Mr. Sandman: any particular reason that you haven't voted beefster despite your many suggestions that he does scummy things?
@Confid: What's your opinion on Beefster and his attack of Inhim? Do you have any reads on people other than Inhim?
@Elscouta: Do you share ODDin's opinion of evaluating strategy over scumtells? If so, why does Inhim's play constitute scum? If not, what scumtells has he given besides the obvious "he voted for the first person to leave RVS?"
@Beefster: Do you care to make an argument against Inhim that isn't filled with hypocrisy?
@All four of you: If Inhim is scum, who is scum with him?

Of the four, if I had to guess at one being scum, I would say Elscouta. I don't like his sudden unvote of easjo, his coaching of Beefster, and his relentless assault on Inhim.
unvote
Vote: Elscouta
No, there is no reason. I don't actually know why I left my vote on inHim because I think my particularly point against him had been cleared up and that people were starting push things unnecessarily. My vote would be on beefster now if my gut wasn't getting a stronger scum vibe coming from Chrono right now and he needs the pressure because he's barely contributing. I would like to push beefster further however, especially given his last post - further evidence of backtracking, admitting his case was weak, and saying that he was surprised that anyone actually believed him. Also, his confession of tunnelling. It's like he admits all the scummy things he's done. I think he's trying too hard to appear as townie and cover his back with all these apologies about his play.

In response to your last question, I don't think inHim looks particularly scummy anymore
inHimshallibe
inHimshallibe
SmartyPants
inHimshallibe
SmartyPants
SmartyPants

Post Post #149 (ISO) » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:42 am

Post by inHimshallibe »

Beefster wrote:@ODDin:
About connections: it didn't seem relevant to comment on that. I see what you're saying.

To be honest, I'm kinda detached from this game. I'm putting too much focus on my other game. I'll fix that. ;)
Anyway, here's some analysis:

ODDin:
casts the first real vote. Good.
You've been fairly pro-town this whole time.
What was I thinking?
Unvote

Easjo:
Voices in your head? Pfft! I hardly think that's valid just outside the RVS.
Self-contradiction. The need to lie is a scum trait, and you suck at lying. :P
FoS: easjo

inHim:
Isn't
anything
better than a random vote? Reasons start off few and far between, but then gradually build up and make mistakes. But really? Chewing him out over
word choice
? Your words and actions here don't seem characteristic of a 6th year townie.
He then defends himself in his stupidity. Is he playing village idiot or something?
He says he doesn't want to muddy the waters. What exactly does he mean by this?
Vote: inHim

Chronopie:
If his meta tends to be anti-town and he's being lurky, he's definitely a player to keep an eye on.
IGMEOY
Definite New-Town read on Beefster.

unvote
Show

:

Return to “Completed Open Games”