Theme Test Market

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #2675 (ISO) » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:35 am

Post by Vi »

Ythan wrote:Yume Nikki Mafia. I'm thinking 24 players, each one being "[effect] Madotsuki". Do people know this game?
A couple of people know the game, but it's pushing the bounds of obscure Japanese stuff.

You might actually be able to be more creative with your setup by using the "characters"/notable objects as roles as well as some of the effects.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Tragedy
Tragedy
Jack of All Trades
Tragedy
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2676 (ISO) » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:00 am

Post by Tragedy »

Ythan wrote:Yume Nikki Mafia. I'm thinking 24 players, each one being "[effect] Madotsuki". Do people know this game?
This man, gave me the idea of a different theme - Mirai Nikki.

Awesome manga :D
I blame you for this.
For I have been awaiting for another heart pounding segment of
Dokidoki Precure!

[10/15/2013 - 00:13] -
Tragedy
~
I wish for Kami-nii-sama to have better naming skills.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #2677 (ISO) » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:20 pm

Post by zoraster »

I'd love to know how much interest there is in this:

Webcam Mafia

So this is going to be a highly experimental game, probably something like 7-9 players in its first iteration to be played with more if it's successfully run. The details are very sketchy at the moment, so a lot can change as I mull over exactly what I want from it.

Everyone will set up a youtube account. At least once every two (or three or four, check below) days and no more than twice a day, players will post a 30 second to 5 minute long youtube clip of themselves discussing the game. It must show their face clearly as they do this (no blurring, no sunglasses, etc). Then they'll post a link to the youtube clip in regular chat.

Voting will be like normal.

I'm not sure whether there will be allowed regular text communication in the game. If there is, then I think I'd make the youtube clip requirement every three or four days instead of every two. I'm leaning toward yes, and just letting the youtube clips get used for summary, etc.

The idea is to add a little face-to-face reading aspect to forum mafia. Obviously multiple takes will be allowed, but that's no different than text posts.

Anyway, this requires all the players have webcams (or iphones, digital cameras etc.) that can post to the internet as well as a willingness to let their own face be seen. That limits the number of players and replacements I can get for this. If there's no interest out there, I won't run it, but I think it has the potential to be really interesting and possibly be the most significant addition to scum hunting in a long, long time.

I've returned to this concept a lot in my few years here, but when I first thought of it, i didn't think there were enough people with webcams who would be interested. I think so many people have access now that it might be viable.

So let me hear your thoughts, guys. This is just me spitballing.
CheeseDeluxe
CheeseDeluxe
Townie
CheeseDeluxe
Townie
Townie

Post Post #2678 (ISO) » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:46 am

Post by CheeseDeluxe »

It's been done before. However, I'd like to say something. Most of the people here (even the more experienced) may have a harder time if they are scum. For instance, it might be harder to conceal shock ("OH MY GOD HE'S DEAD").

So hell, why not?
With a win record of 0-1, I'm officially the worst player on here.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #2679 (ISO) » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:14 am

Post by zoraster »

CheeseDeluxe wrote:It's been done before. However, I'd like to say something. Most of the people here (even the more experienced) may have a harder time if they are scum. For instance, it might be harder to conceal shock ("OH MY GOD HE'S DEAD").

So hell, why not?

Well, to be fair it's not like this will be instant communication. It'll still offer people the opportunity to do multiple takes (like editing before submitting) and all that. Still, I think it offers an avenue for reads that hasn't been used so far. I think I'm going to try doing it in an upcoming game I'm playing in just to test how onerous it is to do before asking a bunch of players to do it.

Take note that this suggestion is not calling for skype mafia or anything in real time. it's asking for posting of short youtube clips, probably in addition to other posting.

Do you know what the game was called, a link, etc?
CheeseDeluxe
CheeseDeluxe
Townie
CheeseDeluxe
Townie
Townie

Post Post #2680 (ISO) » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:18 pm

Post by CheeseDeluxe »

It's not a game hosted on any forum. It was just this thing my friends and I did.
With a win record of 0-1, I'm officially the worst player on here.
Seacore
Seacore
Mafia Scum
Seacore
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2681 (ISO) » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:03 pm

Post by Seacore »

Idea - A large game and a small game simultaneous. Small game works normally, large game lynches two people per day. One of those dies, the other is moved to the small game. Which is moved is determined somehow (not random). Players can only post in their game, but are obviously encouraged to read both.

Yes, it's not a very fleshed out idea. I'm not even sure if the two games would have the same scum. And even if so, would the scum have scum chat together (probably)
bvoigt
bvoigt
Mafia Scum
bvoigt
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2682 (ISO) » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:15 pm

Post by bvoigt »

brokenscraps
brokenscraps
Goon
brokenscraps
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2683 (ISO) » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:26 pm

Post by brokenscraps »

/pre-in for webcam mafia as long as there is also in-thread posting
pappums rat
pappums rat
Mafia Scum
pappums rat
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2684 (ISO) » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:02 pm

Post by pappums rat »

Amrun wrote:^^ That sounds fucking epic and I want /in if you do that.

I have modded over at other boards and I did a Dexter (Showtime drama) game that I liked, but would like to get tweaked by reviewers here before posting it here because diff. boards are diff.

I am also looking forward to hosting a Breaking Bad game, if interest is up.

These will have to wait awhile, though, because I just joined over here and want to get a couple of games under my belt to get a feel for the forum.

If you're interested in Dexter and/or Breaking Bad games, though, I'd like to hear. They'd be large theme.
id be very interested in dexter mafia (an iteration of that was actually my introduction to mafia).

alright folks, i would like to know if this is a terrible idea or not, please just let me know so i can either continue planning it or whether i should never think about it again. i would like to do a game based on 'the dark crystal', a jim henson movie that came out awhile back that probably scarred me for life. i would have the skeksis as town, as the protagonists of the story are too few to have in that position. i have some of the roles planned out already, but there is still a lot of work to be done. so how awful is this idea?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #2685 (ISO) » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:20 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

Could be interesting - thematically there's enough internal conflict to make all of the roles Skeksis (or Gelflings in puppet costumes, maybe). But don't get too tied up in what 'makes sense'... people here have a lot of tolerance for roles not being outed immediately by the fact that they're a ring or a 10" ball of fluff with teeth. :)

But god help you if you misspell a role name...
Retired as of October 2014.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #2686 (ISO) » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:20 am

Post by Vi »

Amrun wrote:I have modded over at other boards and I did a Dexter (Showtime drama) game that I liked, but would like to get tweaked by reviewers here before posting it here because diff. boards are diff.
This might be of interest.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Zorblag
Zorblag
Troll
Zorblag
Troll
Troll

Post Post #2687 (ISO) » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:39 am

Post by Zorblag »

pappums rat wrote:alright folks, i would like to know if this is a terrible idea or not, please just let me know so i can either continue planning it or whether i should never think about it again. i would like to do a game based on 'the dark crystal', a jim henson movie that came out awhile back that probably scarred me for life. i would have the skeksis as town, as the protagonists of the story are too few to have in that position. i have some of the roles planned out already, but there is still a lot of work to be done. so how awful is this idea?
The Dark Crystal should be a fine theme for a game. It sounds like you have things started already but were it Troll designing the game it would be 11 players, 2 Skeksies (scum), 2 Mystics lovers for them (who were known and treestumped from the start essentially; them would be playing for town to win but would die when their Skeksie died) and 7 gelflings/other characters. After that Troll would add roles for balance and probably make it no reveal (the Mystic deaths would show when scum were gone so this would be no role reveals.) pappums rat clearly has something else in mind which be fine; that just be how Troll would approach it as a mini right off the top of Troll's head.

In any case, Troll thinks it be a good movie to work with as the basis for a game.

-Zorblag R`Lyeh
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack
Pronoun: She

Post Post #2688 (ISO) » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:16 am

Post by Ythan »

Mystic/Skeksis lovers are one element that I would be seriously disappointed to see missing from a Dark Crystal game.
MagnaofIllusion
MagnaofIllusion
has been killed Night 1
MagnaofIllusion
has been killed Night 1
has been killed Night 1

Post Post #2689 (ISO) » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:57 am

Post by MagnaofIllusion »

Seacore wrote:Idea - A large game and a small game simultaneous. Small game works normally, large game lynches two people per day. One of those dies, the other is moved to the small game. Which is moved is determined somehow (not random). Players can only post in their game, but are obviously encouraged to read both.

Yes, it's not a very fleshed out idea. I'm not even sure if the two games would have the same scum. And even if so, would the scum have scum chat together (probably)
This is an idea I think you should run with. Sounds interesting.

Would players killed at night have a chance to move to the small game?

I would pre-in based on the Mod and idea. :D
"I am a leaf on the wind ... watch how I soar!"

Pretty much Geriatric game restricted at this point ... unless there are players I REALLY want to play with.
CryMeARiver
CryMeARiver
Mafia Scum
CryMeARiver
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2690 (ISO) » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:44 am

Post by CryMeARiver »

MagnaofIllusion wrote:
Seacore wrote:Idea - A large game and a small game simultaneous. Small game works normally, large game lynches two people per day. One of those dies, the other is moved to the small game. Which is moved is determined somehow (not random). Players can only post in their game, but are obviously encouraged to read both.

This is an idea I think you should run with. Sounds interesting.

Would players killed at night have a chance to move to the small game?

I would pre-in based on the Mod and idea. :D
I believe a similar idea was run back in the day with 2 ongoing games and people were able to somehow travel from one game to another back and forth.
Show
You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time.

"postgame i'm going to pee on you gandalf

pee on you" - Chesskid

V/LA (No access) from July 8th - July 14th

CMAR :cop:
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #2691 (ISO) » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:58 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

Tuthreded Mafia? There was another one more recently, but I can't recall the name of it right now...
Retired as of October 2014.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #2692 (ISO) » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:25 am

Post by Vi »

Mr. Flay wrote:Tuthreded Mafia? There was another one more recently, but I can't recall the name of it right now...
Teleportation Mafia, by zoraster.

Both Tuthreded and Teleportation are on the Large Themes page, as is MtG: Parallel Universes (Tarhalindur, forbiddanlight, MafiaSSK).
Last edited by Vi on Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #2693 (ISO) » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:29 am

Post by zoraster »

yeah, i'd be happy to talk to you about teleportation mafia (as I called it in the end, due to tar/forbiddan/ssk's game). It's not a style of game without some serious drawbacks, but it does have upside.

My question to you is how you link those two games. In other words, why should the large game care about the small game and why should the large one care about the small one?
The Fonz
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2694 (ISO) » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:11 am

Post by The Fonz »

Base Camp Mafia

1 Doctor
9 Townies
2 Goons

Any love?
Empking
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking's Alt's Alt

Post Post #2695 (ISO) » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:20 am

Post by Empking »

Plus, if you guys want to make a point, skip the walls, because everyone else in the game does as well. - Magister Ludi
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #2696 (ISO) » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:36 am

Post by zoraster »

I don't think a single doctor has enough power to balance 10-2 mountainous. Over four nights, the doctor only has a 50% chance of saving even one person (assuming he isn't killed himself). The fact it allows for a claim helps town a bit (especially if the doc makes it to lylo), but I don't think that's enough juice.
hitogoroshi
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Post Post #2697 (ISO) » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:46 pm

Post by hitogoroshi »

Okay, this would have to wait until the Open I'm about to run is done, but would anyone be interested in Abarat mafia? I'd probably include stuff from both books one and two.
"Don’t buy a dozen eggs if you just want a hardboiled egg. Don’t buy a head of lettuce if you just want a salad. Don’t buy eggs and lettuce if you want egg salad because those are not the right ingredients." -Julius Bloop
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack
Pronoun: She

Post Post #2698 (ISO) » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:57 pm

Post by Ythan »

On the topic of Clive Barker-themed games, anyone ever do a Hellbound Heart/Hellraiser game?
Kublai Khan
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Khan Man

Post Post #2699 (ISO) » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:25 am

Post by Kublai Khan »

The Fonz wrote:
Base Camp Mafia

1 Doctor
9 Townies
2 Goons

Any love?
I ran that exact setup (called 2:10 Bugs Bunny) as an open game (Link). Perfect win for scum.
Occasionally intellectually honest

Black Lives Matter
Get vaccinated

Return to “Mafia Discussion”