Newbie 1080 -- Game over

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Jack Forman
Jack Forman
Townie
Jack Forman
Townie
Townie

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:05 pm

Post by Jack Forman »

I live in Seattle Wa USA, and I am going to try and post everyday but sometimes RL gets in the way.
Fuben84 is my xbox name.
I Love Beer!!!
theplague42
theplague42
Mafia Scum
theplague42
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:20 pm

Post by theplague42 »

Oh haha forgot to answer them myself...

1. EST
2. I'll try to get at least one a day, but I'm rather spasmodic. Some days I won't be able to post, others (usually weekends) I'll post four or five times.
Part of the problem.
Does Bo Know
Does Bo Know
Mafia Scum
Does Bo Know
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:29 pm

Post by Does Bo Know »

Hiraki wrote:Does Bo Know. I need you to answer the question.
Sorry. I've played one other newbie game here and played the game in many other places. Not too experienced, though. That's why I'm still playing here.

And to answer Plague's questions, I live in CST, and I post when I think there is a need to post. I don't have a problem lurking or anything, though.
Town: 11-12; Scum: 10-4; Third-party 1-0
brundibar
brundibar
Goon
brundibar
Goon
Goon

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:40 pm

Post by brundibar »

1. I live in Arizona, which I think is MST now? Not going on DST really throws us off.
2. I will hopefully be able to post at least once a day, but once school starts back up next week we shall see.
martini
martini
Goon
martini
Goon
Goon

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:33 am

Post by martini »

too bad all of you live in the usa, with those silly timezones. :(
anyway, I try to post at least once per day, more if things keep active
Hiraki
Hiraki
Survivor
Hiraki
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:14 am

Post by Hiraki »

1) EST
2) At least once, unless nothing is happening.
[Moonstruck]
[Moonstruck]
Townie
[Moonstruck]
Townie
Townie

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:59 am

Post by [Moonstruck] »

1)EST
2) At least once or twice on weekdays, unless nothing's happening. On weekends I'll be on a bit more.
theplague42
theplague42
Mafia Scum
theplague42
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:19 am

Post by theplague42 »

No more votes yet?
Part of the problem.
Nobody Special
Nobody Special
Survivor
Nobody Special
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:31 am

Post by Nobody Special »

Votecount 1.02

Shift - 2 - Hiraki, [Moonstruck]
Geodaman585 - 1 - theplague42
Jack Forman - 1 - Does Bo Know
[Moonstruck] - 1 - brundibar

Not Voting: Shift, Jack Forman, Geodaman585, martini

Deadline: April 8.

V/LA: ...

Geodaman585 never picked up his/her Role PM, so a replacement will be announced shortly.

....what?

Blitz: Picking Simplicity taking pre-ins; PM for info. (0/13)
Nobody Special
Nobody Special
Survivor
Nobody Special
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:41 am

Post by Nobody Special »

Quilford replaces Geodaman585 effective immediately.
....what?

Blitz: Picking Simplicity taking pre-ins; PM for info. (0/13)
Quilford
Quilford
Jack of All Trades
Quilford
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:21 pm

Post by Quilford »

/confirm

Hello, everybody. You can call me Quil.

I'm sitting here shivering at my desk (half out of temperature, half out of nerves) as I read through the posts submitted so far.

A few things: thank Mod I was replaced on the second page. Being top of the queue, I was worried that someone would slot me in after 20 pages or so. Thankfully, this is not the case. In reply to everybody's questions: @Hiraki, this is my first game. I've been playing a fair bit on EpicMafia since I signed up about a fortnight ago, though, but their games seem a lot less in-depth than the ones here. I've also played a teeny-weeny bit IRL, if that counts for anything. @Plague, my timezone is GMT+10, so at the time I write this sentence it is 10:01am on Sunday. Bearing that in mind, I might not be able to post very much on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday as I play sport, which means I arrive home and must immediately start on homework. But I'll try. Promise. Thursday and Friday, I should be able to get in a couple of posts, and on Saturday and Sunday, I'll be able to post whenever (if this isn't the case I'll let everybody know, though).

With that, I'm going to go ahead and

VOTE:
[Moonstruck]

for a couple of things, all related to this post:
  • Seeming not to realize that it's RVS and that Shift is not 'eager' to vote anybody, just trying to get the ball rolling. Someone's gotta vote first, no?
  • The fact that her vote for Shift is, in fact, an OMGUS vote.
Aaaaand I'm done for now.
Jack Forman
Jack Forman
Townie
Jack Forman
Townie
Townie

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:25 pm

Post by Jack Forman »

Welcome Quilford. :mrgreen:

@Does Bo Know- That is the way Michael Crichton spells my name for a character in his book Prey.(That is my favorite book)

Vote:Shift
Fuben84 is my xbox name.
I Love Beer!!!
[Moonstruck]
[Moonstruck]
Townie
[Moonstruck]
Townie
Townie

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:10 pm

Post by [Moonstruck] »

@Quilford- Actually, I'm quite aware that it's RVS now, but when Shift voted it was still confirmation stage, and Shift was the only one to even confirm. My reason for voting Shift was how quickly he seemed to want to vote to get someone out of the game that he didn't even take time to read what stage we were in. I would have voted for him no matter who he had voted for, but everybody probably says that so I'm not expecting you to believe it, just wanted to put it out there :)
Quilford
Quilford
Jack of All Trades
Quilford
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:25 pm

Post by Quilford »

Jack Forman wrote:Welcome Quilford. :mrgreen:

@Does Bo Know- That is the way Michael Crichton spells my name for a character in his book Prey.(That is my favorite book)

Vote:Shift
Hey.

That better be a pressure vote, what with no explanation and all. We don't want to force someone to claim this early on, do we? Shift is now at L-2.

[Moonstruck] wrote:@Quilford- Actually, I'm quite aware that it's RVS now, but when Shift voted it was still confirmation stage, and Shift was the only one to even confirm. My reason for voting Shift was how quickly he seemed to want to vote to get someone out of the game that he didn't even take time to read what stage we were in. I would have voted for him no matter who he had voted for, but everybody probably says that so I'm not expecting you to believe it, just wanted to put it out there :)
As far as I can see, he didn't want to vote to get someone out of the game, what with the silly reason and all:
Shift wrote:I am at least 2.3% certain that you have not been hit by a sphere of cheese, let alone the largest sphere of cheese.
In fact, his silly reasoning proves that he knew we were in RVS. In several games that I've read, people have accidentally voted before pregame ends.
Quilford
Quilford
Jack of All Trades
Quilford
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:26 pm

Post by Quilford »

Here's a good example of people voting before pregame ending:
http://mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=15976
[Moonstruck]
[Moonstruck]
Townie
[Moonstruck]
Townie
Townie

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:49 pm

Post by [Moonstruck] »

Quilford wrote:Here's a good example of people voting before pregame ending:
Why do I need an example when all I need to do is look at the first page. Plus, I don't see how mistakes in other games affect votes in this one.
Quilford wrote:In fact, his silly reasoning proves that he knew we were in RVS.
We were quite obviously not in RVS when he voted, the game hadn't even started. You clearly don't seem to be understanding me here. I voted for Shift because he was quick to vote for someone before the game had even begun. I know it doesn't prove much of anything, but I also know it's RVS, and reasoning can be as ridiculous as how a name is spelled during RVS.
Quilford
Quilford
Jack of All Trades
Quilford
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:02 pm

Post by Quilford »

[Moonstruck] wrote:
Quilford wrote:Here's a good example of people voting before pregame ending:
Why do I need an example when all I need to do is look at the first page. Plus, I don't see how mistakes in other games affect votes in this one.
[Moonstruck] wrote:My reason for voting Shift was how quickly he seemed to want to vote to get someone out of the game that he didn't even take time to read what stage we were in.
I'm pointing out that Shift was most likely not eager 'to want to vote to get someone out of the game' but merely forgot that it wasn't in fact Day 1 yet. And then the reason for the link was to prove that this is an easy thing to forget.

[Moonstruck] wrote:
Quilford wrote:In fact, his silly reasoning proves that he
thought
we were in RVS.
We were quite obviously not in RVS when he voted, the game hadn't even started. You clearly don't seem to be understanding me here. I voted for Shift because he was quick to vote for someone before the game had even begun. I know it doesn't prove much of anything, but I also know it's RVS, and reasoning can be as ridiculous as how a name is spelled during RVS.
I've corrected the quote (in bold) to what I meant it to mean. Both you and Shift have played before, so you both should know that once the game starts, it's almost immediately RVS or RQS, most of the time being the former.

In summation, what I read from the posts is Shift voting for you, mistakenly thinking it was Day 1 already and therefore RVS, then in the
very next
post admitting that it wasn't Day 1 yet. Then you come along and accuse him for being 'quick to vote', despite the fact that he was obviously mistaken in thinking it was Day 1 when he voted. That just seems odd to me.
[Moonstruck]
[Moonstruck]
Townie
[Moonstruck]
Townie
Townie

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:33 pm

Post by [Moonstruck] »

1) By played before but not on this site, I meant in real life, while I could see and talk to people. And the way I've played, there is no RVS. Everyone sits face down, the person narrating the game(here it's the Mod) goes around and taps the Mafia, Detective, and Guardian Angel once, twice or three times depending on what the role is. The narrator tells each one to raise their head one at a time, Mafia picks someone to kill, Detective picks someone to accuse, Guardian Angel picks someone to save. Then everyone lifts their heads, if the Detective was wrong, the narrator makes up a story about how the Mafia killed someone/how the Guardian Angel saved someone from the Mafia. When people vote we don't give a reason, and we base our votes on a mixture of body language and spoken responses, not on analysis of posts.

tl;dr
; The way I've played Mafia is very different from how it's played here.

2) I say he was being quick to vote because he was too quick to read what stage we were in.
Quilford
Quilford
Jack of All Trades
Quilford
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:36 pm

Post by Quilford »

[Moonstruck] wrote:2) I say he was being quick to vote because he was too quick to read what stage we were in.
Could you expand on this? I'm afraid I don't quite understand what you mean here.
[Moonstruck]
[Moonstruck]
Townie
[Moonstruck]
Townie
Townie

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:46 pm

Post by [Moonstruck] »

He was the first to post and didn't take the time to figure out that we weren't in RVS yet, when I (not very seriously) asked why he was so eager to vote, I was (unsuccessfully) hinting that it seemed scummy (to me) to be so eager to throw down a vote that he didn't take the time to figure out what stage we were in.
Quilford
Quilford
Jack of All Trades
Quilford
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:49 pm

Post by Quilford »

[Moonstruck] wrote:He was the first to post and didn't take the time to figure out that we weren't in RVS yet, when I (not very seriously) asked why he was so eager to vote, I was (unsuccessfully) hinting that it seemed scummy (to me) to be so eager to throw down a vote that he didn't take the time to figure out what stage we were in.
Thanks for clearing all that up.
UNVOTE: [Moonstruck]
Quilford
Quilford
Jack of All Trades
Quilford
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:34 pm

Post by Quilford »

Nobody Special, could we get a prod on Shift?
theplague42
theplague42
Mafia Scum
theplague42
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:49 pm

Post by theplague42 »

@Quilford
It's still too early for prods.

@Hiraki
I've completed three games and I'm dead in another.

Unvote
seeing as Quil replaced.

It's really not scummy that Shift voted quickly during confirmation. If anything, it's more suspicious
not
to RVS in your first post. It's just a null tell, especially in a newbie game.

Although I don't believe Moonstruck is making a false case. Just extrapolating something that isn't there to begin with.

Fixed tag. ~~NS
Last edited by Nobody Special on Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Part of the problem.
Shift
Shift
Goon
Shift
Goon
Goon

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:54 pm

Post by Shift »

Sorry, been busy with RL. Trying to catch up on my games tomorrow, should be wrapping one up soon so I'll have more time for this one.

VOTE: Moonstruck

The world's first double OMGUS. Also, very rarely do RVS wagons end up being the final wagons. Why would eager voting be a scumtell?
theplague42
theplague42
Mafia Scum
theplague42
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:56 pm

Post by theplague42 »

Gah, tag fail. Make that
Unvote
Part of the problem.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”