NY136: The Death of ReaperCharlie (GAME OVER, Town win!)

CrashTextDummie
CrashTextDummie
Mafia Scum
CrashTextDummie
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1325 (ISO) » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:34 pm

Post by CrashTextDummie »

Also, please explain why you didn't want to make us decide between a KJ and an MBL lynch. I kind of skimmed over the following quote while reading the last 3ish pages, but on second glance, your logic here doesn't follow at all:

David Xanatos wrote:Careless? By NOT exposing myself after there was a Doc counterclaim?

If I had revealed myself, I'd have been NKed almost instantly I presume, and Town would have had to decide whether to lynch KJ for his counter-claimed Doc or MBL for my guilty read. This way, I got a second shot at a read, and I targetted Yos.

With two claimed docs, there was actually no chance of you being NKed if you had claimed and were telling the truth. Lynch MBL, both claimed docs are instructed to protect Xanatos, coordinate night action with Iece seems like a clear optimal play from your alleged point of view, that you would have had no problem convincing town to follow (if MBL = town, Iece vigs Xanatos, doc dilemma gets solved the next day). Instead you went for a play that held the risk of you getting nightkilled (thus not being able to communicate your result) with no added benefit at all. It doesn't add up.
[i]Mgm laughed nervously, his cheeks flushing in the faintest of blushes. "Patrick... I only wanted to be with you... that's why I put the game to night, so Glork would get killed."[/i] - the heartwarming conclusion of Face to Face Mafia
David Xanatos
David Xanatos
Mafia Scum
David Xanatos
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1326 (ISO) » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:47 pm

Post by David Xanatos »

Sidetracked in honesty. I wasn't sure what to make of you after you'd called BS on the claim without countering. When you countered, I decided not to, for previously stated reasons.

And DH, what exactly don't you like there? We've already discussed the possibility of an RC. In my experience, RCs tend to have their action during the day phase, rather than night. Therefore, if there is a RC, they'd know about it N1 if he got lucky and targetted.

Although, saying that, I now note that it's Magna. He's quite well known.. it could easily have been a standard shot at the most valuable Townie. In honesty I hadn't really noted who it was prior to this, I just noted that the Alien was shot N1..

And CTD, because that didn't occur to me. Hindsight is 20/20 I suppose. My opinion was, if I claimed, I'd be exposed to either being shot, if both Doc claims were phony (I didn't like how solid you were on MBL.. I recall you saying something about buying a hat to eat it.. well, I hope you have a little spare cash.) it exposed me massively.. Quite a flawed thought, but that was my stance at the time.. I went with the route that I felt gave me the best odds of survival.

I'm human, and I had just replaced in. I cocked up and made an error of judgement, it happens.

Think it through though. Why would I come in and claim a guilty in a game with so many PRs? Why would I claim a Flavour Cop role? Why would I claim to have been RBed when there was a possibility of a Watcher, or worse, someone else comes out as having been RBed?
~ David Xanatos ~

It really was all part of my plan...
izakthegoomba
*Falls to the ground at Xanatos' feet, chanting "we are not worthy"*
David Xanatos
David Xanatos
Mafia Scum
David Xanatos
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1327 (ISO) » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:53 pm

Post by David Xanatos »

Right. I have an exam in 7.5 hours.. gonna go to bed in 8 minutes. If you have anything else to ask, ask quickly, because I'll be gone until tomorrow afternoon. Not a long time, I know, but I prefer addressing points as they arise.
~ David Xanatos ~

izakthegoomba
David Xanatos
David Xanatos
Mafia Scum
David Xanatos
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1328 (ISO) » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:54 pm

Post by David Xanatos »

Oh, and I know this is off topic, but wish me luck. I may need it. >.>
~ David Xanatos ~

izakthegoomba
David Xanatos
David Xanatos
Mafia Scum
David Xanatos
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1329 (ISO) » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:16 pm

Post by David Xanatos »

Going to bed now.. as I said, won't be back for at least 12 hours. Wish me luck.
~ David Xanatos ~

izakthegoomba
Iecerint
Iecerint
Survivor
Iecerint
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1330 (ISO) » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:48 pm

Post by Iecerint »

MBL's post makes sense except that Xan didn't (ultimately, at least) claim Cop, but gunsmith. This warps his "cop with a guilty" comments a bit. Still, I think Xan is the more likely scum.
David Xanatos
David Xanatos
Mafia Scum
David Xanatos
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1331 (ISO) » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:56 am

Post by David Xanatos »

I look forward to the backpedaling when I flip Gunsmith and you all try to say you didn't
really
doubt me, but you wanted to avoid X, Y and Z. :roll:
~ David Xanatos ~

izakthegoomba
David Xanatos
David Xanatos
Mafia Scum
David Xanatos
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1332 (ISO) » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:01 am

Post by David Xanatos »

And for the record, if you lynch me, you're supporting an unclaimed over a claimed Cop variant. Therefore, you're giving up a chance at investigating at Night who out of Hydra/Yos is scum.

I'm basically done here. I've said all there is to say, if you won't listen, the loss is on your own heads.
~ David Xanatos ~

izakthegoomba
Iecerint
Iecerint
Survivor
Iecerint
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1333 (ISO) » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:04 am

Post by Iecerint »

If you are town, the loss is on bizarre behavior from your slot relative to your claim.

I'd say the only doubt I have is the WIFOM angle about your slot's play being bad as either alignment given your recent claim.
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #1334 (ISO) » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:40 am

Post by Yosarian2 »

Another odd thing is that if Xantos is lying, that means that town had no information roles at all this game (other then an innocent child) which would be weird.

I don't know. If he was lying, I don't get why he didn't just claim cop; the whole "claim cop to get MBL to claim with the intent of saying you're a gunsmith after he claims" doesn't really make any sense to me if he's lying scum.
I want us to win just for Yos' inevitable rant alone. -CrashTextDummie
Iecerint
Iecerint
Survivor
Iecerint
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1335 (ISO) » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:43 am

Post by Iecerint »

Meransiel was a tracker.
Iecerint
Iecerint
Survivor
Iecerint
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1336 (ISO) » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:49 am

Post by Iecerint »

Yosarian2 wrote:I don't know. If he was lying, I don't get why he didn't just claim cop; the whole "claim cop to get MBL to claim with the intent of saying you're a gunsmith after he claims" doesn't really make any sense to me if he's lying scum.

Actually, this part makes MORE sense if he's lying scum, not less. Recognizing from reactions that his claim was wildly out of bounds with his slot's play, it makes sense to amend your information down a notch accordingly to address by implication such discrepancies. It just doesn't work very well here because I was already out by very early D2, so you have to posit that Earworm or Pine thought there was a niche set-up (maybe not allowed in Normal games?) or were not paying attention.

The more sensible town Gunsmith play is to either:

a) Fakeclaim Cop for gravitas since you know your result is basically Cop-tier cuz the SK is dead and the vig is out (if very ballsy)
b) Claim Gunsmith and make the argument about verbally

Switching around is unnecessary and speaks to wanting to modulate how his claimed role fits his predecessors' play.
David Xanatos
David Xanatos
Mafia Scum
David Xanatos
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1337 (ISO) » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:09 am

Post by David Xanatos »

How does Gunsmith "fit my predecessors play"?
~ David Xanatos ~

izakthegoomba
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #1338 (ISO) » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:10 am

Post by Yosarian2 »

Iecerint wrote:
The more sensible town Gunsmith play is to either:

a) Fakeclaim Cop for gravitas since you know your result is basically Cop-tier cuz the SK is dead and the vig is out (if very ballsy)
b) Claim Gunsmith and make the argument about verbally

Switching around is unnecessary and speaks to wanting to modulate how his claimed role fits his predecessors' play.

Well, not really. If you're a gunsmith, and you find a gun on someone, you ideally want them to claim before you do, otherwise they'll just claim some role with a gun after you claim. If you can get them to claim vanilla first, and THEN you claim you saw a gun on them, you get more information because you've now caught them in a lie. I've seen gunsmiths try to do this in any number of ways; call for a mass claim, try to just flat out wagon a person to a claim, ect. I've never seen "fakeclaim cop, demand a claim, then tell the truth about your role after they claim", but it makes sense as a gunsmith gambit.
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #1339 (ISO) » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:14 am

Post by Yosarian2 »

Also, if he was going to fake a guilty, why not just say that he got the guilty last night?

None of this makes any sense as a scum gambit. Scum gambits tend to be neat and simple. This kind of messy combobulation usually means that what you've got is a pro-town person telling the truth (and making some poor decisions).
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #1340 (ISO) » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:26 am

Post by Yosarian2 »

CrashTextDummie wrote:I haven't really thought about the implications of David X's claim for Hydra and Yosarian yet, but on a first glace, I feel that Hydra has handled today more like I'd expect from town than Yos.

I think hydra is playing for the scum win condition here, the only way he can.

Think about it. Assume for a minute that there's a 2 man scumteam. How can they win at this point? If we lynch ether Xantos or MBL and then vig the other if that one flips scum, then we go into tommorow with 1 scum vs. 4 town or 1 scum vs. 5 town with multiple confirmed innocents, which is probably not winnable for the scum.

On the other hand, if he can mislynch some other random townie today, the vig still won't know who to shoot tonight. That leaves the possibility open that he can then lynch the town one out of (Xantos, MBL) and win the game tommorow.

(Of course, lynching a random townie and leaving the vig guessing tonight also works in the scum's benefit if there's a 3 man scum group, but I'm having trouble seeing how there could be one at this point.

Yosarian - how certain are you that your vote is on scum?

At this point, I'm reasonably certain. I really can't see this as making any sense as a scum gambit at all; Xantos wasn't even in any immediate risk of being lynched today. It doesn't GAIN him anything, and if he was going to try a gambit, why not just say "Hey, I'm the cop, I investigated MBL last night and he's scum, lynch him pls."

Also, he really just feels like town at this point to me.
David Xanatos
David Xanatos
Mafia Scum
David Xanatos
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1341 (ISO) » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:43 am

Post by David Xanatos »

I'm not claiming perfect play, indeed, I've already openly admitted to missing that situation of 2 claimed Docs being the perfect point to claim, but I'm doing what I can.

I've always been told that it's bad play for a Cop/Variant to claim with only 1-2 results. I only had one when I replaced in. I still only had one today, but the potential pool was getting light, and the fact there was an RB meant that there was a degree of urgency attached.

If I had planned this, why would I be struggling to find answers? If this was a ploy, surely most of these would have been worked out overnight, yes?

At the very least, you should demand a claim from MBL at this point.
~ David Xanatos ~

izakthegoomba
DemonHybrid
DemonHybrid
And Another Thing...
DemonHybrid
And Another Thing...
And Another Thing...

Post Post #1342 (ISO) » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:31 am

Post by DemonHybrid »

David Xanatos wrote:I'm not claiming perfect play, indeed, I've already openly admitted to missing that situation of 2 claimed Docs being the perfect point to claim, but I'm doing what I can.

uh huh
This account is no longer being used.

You want this one.
DemonHybrid
DemonHybrid
And Another Thing...
DemonHybrid
And Another Thing...
And Another Thing...

Post Post #1343 (ISO) » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:32 am

Post by DemonHybrid »

Let me flip the wine on you for a second, David. What stops you from being the RC you're talking about?
This account is no longer being used.

You want this one.
David Xanatos
David Xanatos
Mafia Scum
David Xanatos
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1344 (ISO) » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:34 am

Post by David Xanatos »

You can spice your wine however you like, doesn't change the fact you're ignoring what's in front of you.

RC wasn't even mentioned until Toast brought it up (You know, your neighbour.). It makes sense though given the situation.

I'm going to say it again. If you lynch MBL, when he flips Scum, I get another investigate. If he's the RB, I get an investigate that cannot be interfered with.

Suppose for a second I'm Scum, you lynch him, you've got a slim chance of him being Town Power, but ask yourself, if he's TP, why hasn't he claimed to counter my accusation? So you're then looking at a VT lynch at realistic worst. I then get vigged or lynched, pretty much by default.

What possible gain is there for me in this? Town ends up with 4-5 remaining, and I'd have thrown myself to the wolves for one kill. Why would I fake a Gun read on someone who people believe is Town, exposing myself to so much fire, rather than a lesser Town, or bussing a partner for Cop credit? For that matter, why Gunsmith over Cop? I already noted the significance of the SK using poison.. why would I have done that, or even been curious, as any other role? Regardless, pretty much every other Town is confirmed (except Hydra and Yos), so the chances of Scum pulling back from that are slim to nil.

If you lynch me right now, when I flip Gunsmith, you've lynched Town Power, and if you have any sense at all, whatsoever, you immediately lynch/vig MBL.. but in doing so, you give him a chance to RB again, if he's the RB.
~ David Xanatos ~

izakthegoomba
Iecerint
Iecerint
Survivor
Iecerint
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1345 (ISO) » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:48 am

Post by Iecerint »

Yos wrote:Well, not really. If you're a gunsmith, and you find a gun on someone, you ideally want them to claim before you do, otherwise they'll just claim some role with a gun after you claim. If you can get them to claim vanilla first, and THEN you claim you saw a gun on them, you get more information because you've now caught them in a lie. I've seen gunsmiths try to do this in any number of ways; call for a mass claim, try to just flat out wagon a person to a claim, ect. I've never seen "fakeclaim cop, demand a claim, then tell the truth about your role after they claim", but it makes sense as a gunsmith gambit.

I do not understand what this has to do with the present situation. DX's predecessors did not do the rational gunsmith behaviors that you specify. This is part of why I am skeptical of DX's claims. Also, it is too abstract for the present situation, because no scum could fakeclaim vig by D2 because Meransiel had already outed me as the vig. The only way hypo-MBL-scum could hide would be if he gambited that the set-up had LOTS of vigs, or if we suppose that pine kept quiet because he speculated the same. Hence, even if you have some kind of point I'm not understanding in the fakeclaim-cop gambit talk, the utility was pretty marginal because the vig was already out.

From a DX-scum PoV, what happened is that he claimed Cop, but then noticed that he couldn't rationalize earworm/pine's play AT ALL if they'd known 100% that MBL was scum all game. So he had to switch to a more plausible story afterwards (Cop -> Gunsmith). Of course, this doesn't work to well, either, because of the detail that I was already the outed vig by very early D2. So you have to postulate 2 instances of poor play, basically, but I don't think either is particularly far-fetched -- when I'm scum, I notice that lots of silly scumfriends say "claim cop" blatantly as a piece of advice, and DX replaced in long after D2, so I could see him forgetting about details of what happened before he joined the game when he adjusted his claim.

And this is before we have to explain people lurking to replacement in a slot that has a guilty on someone. <_<
Yosarian2 wrote:Also, if he was going to fake a guilty, why not just say that he got the guilty last night?

None of this makes any sense as a scum gambit. Scum gambits tend to be neat and simple. This kind of messy combobulation usually means that what you've got is a pro-town person telling the truth (and making some poor decisions).

THIS is the argument I think is somewhat valid (the WIFOM angle I mentioned in an earlier post). However, the fact that it makes little sense as a scum gambit does not necessarily mean that the probability of the scum gambit is lower than the probability of it being poor town play. Both of these are low-probability events.
David Xanatos
David Xanatos
Mafia Scum
David Xanatos
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1346 (ISO) » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:51 am

Post by David Xanatos »

You
do
realise that Pine lurked out of many, many games, not just this one?

I can think of three offhand, and I'm sure there are more. All he actually played in was, as I recall, one normal and a marathon..
~ David Xanatos ~

izakthegoomba
David Xanatos
David Xanatos
Mafia Scum
David Xanatos
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1347 (ISO) » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:56 am

Post by David Xanatos »

Hell, lurking isn't the word. More accurate would be "flaked entirely".

And as I've already explained, the reason I claimed Cop initially was I was hoping to push him to claim, which would guarentee my read. As I also said, I've had experience with flavour-millers.. but apparently those aren't allowed in these games, so my caution there was unneeded.
~ David Xanatos ~

izakthegoomba
Iecerint
Iecerint
Survivor
Iecerint
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1348 (ISO) » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:47 am

Post by Iecerint »

I am aware that you have explanations for some of the discrepancies, yes.

Having just Search'd both Pine and earworm, it's true that both of them flaked off the entire site. Though, I mean. Flaking from all my games when I've got a guilty result on someone in one of them is still a weird thing, unless they died/lost their internets or something. <_<
Iecerint
Iecerint
Survivor
Iecerint
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1349 (ISO) » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:49 am

Post by Iecerint »

Also, I'd think they'd block Meransiel and kill Mastin-Iece N2. Though I guess it's possible that they blocked me N2 and I was just ignorant of it s/p not shooting.

If so, we might be able to look for spooky responses after I claimed not having shot N2; their existence would be consistent with a RBer being out there, consistent with DX's claims.

Return to “Completed Large Normal Games”