[REVIEW] Open Setup Reviews

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
Hoopla
Hoopla
Hoopla

Post Post #150 (ISO) » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:26 pm

Post by Hoopla »

In post 149, DarthYoshi wrote:No. Though that's not this setup.

What do you think prevents a Day 1 massclaim essentially making it this setup? It's not rational for scum to counterclaim Doctor, as they're forced to leave at least one alive, enabling the town one or two Doc protections each night. It's not rational for scum to counterclaim Tracker - as it gives town a 50/50 on Day 1 straight up. Assuming this, the setup does become 3 Innocent Childs, with the added bonus of a couple more chances for night powers to do something. The Doctors can then either protect two players amongst the three, forcing scum to either gamble (and give them a free vig kill if they miss) or use their Strongman kill. Presuming they do use the Strongman, the town will either have two Doctors (scum won't do that), or a Doctor and a Tracker. This means the Tracker gets two uses of its action (N1 and N2) for free, plus the benefits of a 3-player open masonry for PoE.

Even if town played it normally, the Doctor-into-Vig role is probably too overpowered on its own. If a successful save is effected, you've done three things; you've prevented a scum-kill (handy), which leaves the town in even numbers. This in turn enables a vig shot to not cost a mislynch (super handy) AND it also confirms a townie (extremely handy). If the Doc-vig claims, it confirms itself and another player, plus a free kill the next night. That's too much swing for guessing one scumkill right.
Ether
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Lyrical Rampage
Pronoun:

Post Post #151 (ISO) » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:08 pm

Post by Ether »

Why is the old version of Pick Your Poison still in the queue? When would scum ever choose to add a cop into the game? The novelty never becomes relevant.

Patrick's made alternative versions, though I don't know if they're normal. I'm still nostalgic over PYP2.
As I move my vote
Towards your wagon, town is taking note
It fills my head up and gets louder and
LOUDER
Hoopla
Hoopla
Hoopla

Post Post #152 (ISO) » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:18 pm

Post by Hoopla »

In post 151, Ether wrote:Why is the old version of Pick Your Poison still in the queue? When would scum ever choose to add a cop into the game? The novelty never becomes relevant.

Patrick's made alternative versions, though I don't know if they're normal. I'm still nostalgic over PYP2.

Yes, there are better Pick Your Poison setups we could use instead of the current one.
DarthYoshi
DarthYoshi
I am your Father
DarthYoshi
I am your Father
I am your Father

Post Post #153 (ISO) » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:45 am

Post by DarthYoshi »

In post 150, Hoopla wrote:
In post 149, DarthYoshi wrote:No. Though that's not this setup.

What do you think prevents a Day 1 massclaim essentially making it this setup? It's not rational for scum to counterclaim Doctor, as they're forced to leave at least one alive, enabling the town one or two Doc protections each night. It's not rational for scum to counterclaim Tracker - as it gives town a 50/50 on Day 1 straight up. Assuming this, the setup does become 3 Innocent Childs, with the added bonus of a couple more chances for night powers to do something. The Doctors can then either protect two players amongst the three, forcing scum to either gamble (and give them a free vig kill if they miss) or use their Strongman kill. Presuming they do use the Strongman, the town will either have two Doctors (scum won't do that), or a Doctor and a Tracker. This means the Tracker gets two uses of its action (N1 and N2) for free, plus the benefits of a 3-player open masonry for PoE.

Even if town played it normally, the Doctor-into-Vig role is probably too overpowered on its own. If a successful save is effected, you've done three things; you've prevented a scum-kill (handy), which leaves the town in even numbers. This in turn enables a vig shot to not cost a mislynch (super handy) AND it also confirms a townie (extremely handy). If the Doc-vig claims, it confirms itself and another player, plus a free kill the next night. That's too much swing for guessing one scumkill right.

Fair 'nuff. I'll take it back to the drawing board and see what I can come up with. Probably need to remove the tracker at the very least, maybe give scum a roleblocker (the horror, etc). Thanks, Hoopla.
On hiatus from any new mafia commitments.
Jesus loves you. But that doesn't mean you're town.
James 2:13
Max
Max
Mafia Scum
Max
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #154 (ISO) » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:59 am

Post by Max »

In post 147, Hoopla wrote:We have that setup: No Lynching Town

No, that's a set-up where when a mislynch occurs that townie lives and the scum get to kill.

That's a completely different set-up.

No Lynching TownieThis
Night Kill Each NightNight Kill on Scum Death
Scum decides if mislynched townie should be a treestump or whether another townie should be killedMislynched Townies Die

However, the it would no longer be nightless.

Empking wrote:None of those are proper Nightless.

Also, the second is nightless. Just without a majority rule.
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #155 (ISO) » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:11 am

Post by GreyICE »

You'd be shocked and appalled how often scum shoot confirmed town in no-lynching town. What with them all being CONFIRMED TOWN and such.
Show
That which is done out of love always takes place beyond good and evil

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones
Max
Max
Mafia Scum
Max
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #156 (ISO) » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:09 am

Post by Max »

In post 155, GreyICE wrote:You'd be shocked and appalled how often scum shoot confirmed town in no-lynching town. What with them all being CONFIRMED TOWN and such.

This is accurate that 99.9% of the time that it's the right move to lynch the confirmed townie. But, if you have a choice between killing Confirmed-DeityKabuto and killing a Glork... I would kill Glork.
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #157 (ISO) » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:31 pm

Post by BBmolla »

Mayo Clinic is broken as proven in Open 329.

The breaking strategy is explained here.

Izak made a suggestion to include a role blocker, but I'm unsure if that will ruin the spirit of the setup.

The main issue is that massclaim allows vigs to be protected and docs to just train on each other. Thus, the goons and SK get screwed.

A possibility I thought up was instead of having six docs, have 1-3 blues and 3-5 docs.
So:
1 VT and 5 Docs
2 VT and 4 Docs
3 VT and 3 Docs

This would prevent doc train unless all VTs die. The issue with this is the amount of deaths will be increased significantly.

Perhaps make those VTs into 1-Shot Vested VTs and give one of the mafia a 1-Shot Vest?

Thoughts?
Come see me in the Great American Melodrama in Oceano
izakthegoomba
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #158 (ISO) » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:14 pm

Post by izakthegoomba »

1) I don't see how introducing VTs would help. The only people who will fakeclaim Doc is the scum, so the same breaking strategy could still be worked. And I dislike that the outcome of that setup could be random.

2) Does that not ruin the spirit of the setup WAY more than an RB would? It's supposed to have crazy night phases, and a big part of that is achieved by giving everyone a power.

I think if this setup is to be fixed AND remain a fun, crazy setup to play, adding another scum PR, probably an RB, is the only way to do it.
(Mostly) on hiatus until further notice. Planet MafiaScum 2 will be modded by Inspi and JDGA - go check it out!
izakthegoomba
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #159 (ISO) » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:16 pm

Post by izakthegoomba »

Oh, and just reposting my suggestion here:

Mayo SuperScum

1 Mafia Doctor
1 Mafia Roleblocker
1 Mafia Goon

1 Bulletproof Serial Killer

2 Compulsive Vigilantes
6 Doctors

• Daystart
• Each Doctor protects against a single nightkill
• Nobody can target themselves
• If a Compulsive Vigilante fails to submit a nightkill, they will target a random player
other than themselves

• Kill flavours are not distinguished
(Mostly) on hiatus until further notice. Planet MafiaScum 2 will be modded by Inspi and JDGA - go check it out!
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #160 (ISO) » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:05 am

Post by GreyICE »

3 Mafia doctors

If a mafia member is targeted by two doctors of opposite alignments, they are unprotected.

That breaks the circle protect strategy, and essentially gives the mafia similar scum protecting power, and MORE town protecting power (for why this is pro-scum, the vig shots were being used as cop investigations - more ways to funk up vig shots is pro scum). It also makes it very possible to 'double protect' a vig target, especially a town vig target, even with two confirmed vigs.
Show
That which is done out of love always takes place beyond good and evil

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones
izakthegoomba
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #161 (ISO) » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:13 am

Post by izakthegoomba »

I think I prefer that Docblocker idea, in place of the Roleblocker I put in.
Shadow Dancer
Shadow Dancer
Mafia Scum
Shadow Dancer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #162 (ISO) » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:16 am

Post by Shadow Dancer »

Adding a single power role such as a mafia role blocker would still have the setup as broken if said PR ever dies...

Maybe making some of the docs jailkeepers would help, maybe also giving the mafia a jailkeeper... But the basic problem to me seems to be that too many identical power roles in a game just don't work - and always for basically the same reason. vig - texas justice, circle shot, docs - see here: Circle protect... Same with trackers or watchers obviously... Too many investigation roles are a problem anyway... We had the discussion about mass roleblockers in the setup uggestion thread... I think for something like this to work you need some special mechanic roles that are designed to limit this kind of breaking strats.
hitogoroshi
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Post Post #163 (ISO) » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:27 am

Post by hitogoroshi »

Remember, designing and balancing setups Open setups goes here. I think we're mostly looking at current setups until the backlog is looked at. (That being said, if a setup has two or more nominations in the Open setup thread, feel free to send me a PM and I can talk about it/post it here if it's up to snuff. But I want setups that have already been through some vetting.)

Hoopla, are there any setups I'm supposed to be looking at? I'm afraid I kind of lost where we're at in the thread here.
"Don’t buy a dozen eggs if you just want a hardboiled egg. Don’t buy a head of lettuce if you just want a salad. Don’t buy eggs and lettuce if you want egg salad because those are not the right ingredients." -Julius Bloop
Hoopla
Hoopla
Hoopla

Post Post #164 (ISO) » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:29 pm

Post by Hoopla »

Yes, I've been a bit busy recently, and foolishly decided to play in two mafia games as well which didn't help. I'm going to make a concerted effort in the next couple of days to work on this thread, though.
Hoopla
Hoopla
Hoopla

Post Post #165 (ISO) » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:28 am

Post by Hoopla »

Holiday time is over. It's time to start setting aside more time for this. I want to make a big effort over the next week to get this done, so any help will be appreciated. Here is what we have for the mids;

2:2:9 -
Approved

Fire and Ice -
Approved

Friends and Enemies (13p) -
Approved

Jungle Republic -
Approved

Mountainous Mafia (2:11) -
Approved

Weak M.D. -
Approved

White Flag (3:10) -
Approved

Bad Tweed
C9++
Faith Plus One
Follow the Cop... or Not
Friends and Enemies and Enemies
Hard Boiled
Masons and Mafia
Masons and Monks
Near-Vanilla
Nightless Vengeful Mayhem
Nomination Mafia
Operating Room
Pick Your Poison
Polygamist
Switch
Tit for Tat
Tread Carefully
Two-fold C9
Twofold Mafia

3:3:6 -
Binned

Basic Twelve Player -
Binned

2:10 Bugs Bunny -
Binned

C/9 -
Binned

Daytalk12 -
Binned

Friends and Enemies: Deadly Alliance -
Binned

Friends and Enemies and Enemies and That Other Guy -
Binned

Mini Love -
Binned

Mountainous Multiball -
Binned

Nightless Vanilla (4:8) -
Binned

Night Watch -
Binned

Strawberry Mafia -
Binned

Unclean Mafia -
Binned
Last edited by Hoopla on Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #166 (ISO) » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:40 am

Post by Vi »

Tread Carefully seems like a goofy novelty setup.

C/9 is something I remember seeing some arguments about.

I'm surprised you haven't accepted C9++ simply because of its popularity.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Hoopla
Hoopla
Hoopla

Post Post #167 (ISO) » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:49 am

Post by Hoopla »

I'm just going to go down the list of unconfirmed setups, so to start with;

Bad Tweed
- Doesn't work with 12 players. Either needs an extra VT or should be scrapped. I'm in favour of the latter, as even if this is were a balanced game, it doesn't seem like an especially fun game. I don't think a 13p version of this would be balanced anyhow. It's optimal for the Tailor to target itself N1 to guarantee it can't be caught and can use its power again later. Having power isolated in two roles really exposes town to lucky nightkills, and although I know this community tends to value the influence of cops highly, I don't think it's enough. Best case scenario is catching two scum from the roles, but this won't happen every game.

Town is almost guaranteed to mislynch D1 as optimal scumplay is claiming Cop which can't be disproved. Hypo-cop claiming strategies
may
be beneficial for town at times, but the risk of narrowing the cops down for scum is too great. Guilties and Innocents are of less value as cops are less sure of their results, and town is less sure of a player actually being a Cop. For example, if a Cop claimed a guilty D2, got that player lynched and they flipped town, town would be in a very tricky situation wondering if the target was tailored or scum was gambiting. The nerfed nature of the Cops (less confirmed status upon claiming, paranoia about results) is good for the game, but doesn't give the town enough power.

I personally don't rate this setup very highly, so I'd like other opinions on this one.

C/9
- Bad setup. Should probably be binned (don't know why I haven't yet). I hope I don't get anybody sticking up for this one, otherwise I'll shoot them.

C9++
- There is another thread on this regarding changes, so I'll bump that and solve it there.

Faith Plus One
- This setup has four variants, so we really ought to just pick one and use it if people like it. I know it was played recently. Is there anyone here that played or read the game? What did they think of the setup? To me, it doesn't have that X-factor about it, and I think there are some people who think %-based roles are kind of meh. It feels a little scum-sided too. Again, would like others to weigh in on this one.

Follow The Cop... Or Not
- Doesn't seemed balanced for an 11-player game. That's one less lynch, and the Cop has two possible ways of collecting false or no results. I don't think I'd want to be town in this setup. Not a fan of this setup, but I think I remember someone liking it?

Friends and Enemies and Enemies/Friends and Enemies and Enemies and That Other Guy
- Don't need both of these. I'd probably favour the first one out of the two though. Being a mason seems difficult in this game, and you probably wouldn't want to claim it, as you increase your chance of being offed at night by scum, which isn't good in a game dependent on crosskills. I don't think we need a whole heap of 2:2:X setups, but this one seems popular enough.
Hoopla
Hoopla
Hoopla

Post Post #168 (ISO) » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:50 am

Post by Hoopla »

In post 166, Vi wrote:I'm surprised you haven't accepted C9++ simply because of its popularity.

Yeah, it's very popular. But it does need a revamp.
Quilford
Quilford
Jack of All Trades
Quilford
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #169 (ISO) » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:01 am

Post by Quilford »

I played Faith Plus One as scum and not only found it incredibly boring but that the winning faction being decided on a 50/50 flip was unfair.
Hoopla
Hoopla
Hoopla

Post Post #170 (ISO) » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:02 am

Post by Hoopla »

In post 169, Quilford wrote:I played Faith Plus One as scum and not only found it incredibly boring but that the winning faction being decided on a 50/50 flip was unfair.

What happened in the game to make winning/losing 50/50?
Hoopla
Hoopla
Hoopla

Post Post #171 (ISO) » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:12 am

Post by Hoopla »

Hey Vi. I've been thinking that the current roster thing is kind of a silly, unnecessary exercise. I feel like the easiest way to determine which games are chosen is to just assign a category (small/mid/large/experimental) to an upcoming mod and just let them pick whatever game they want from that pool. Then once that game has been chosen, it gets locked out for 5 picks (or half the amount of setups within the category) - I don't know yet exactly. This way you get a roster that changes by itself so different games get picked, but there is still an element of popularity involved. Does that make sense?
Quilford
Quilford
Jack of All Trades
Quilford
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #172 (ISO) » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:14 am

Post by Quilford »

Cop had been outed as had one of the two faith healers and I was the only scum left.

I successfully killed the cop but he had targeted me that night.

When I went on to kill the faith healers the 50% chance also worked in my favour.
Empking
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking's Alt's Alt

Post Post #173 (ISO) » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:17 am

Post by Empking »

In post 166, Vi wrote:Tread Carefully seems like a
goofy
awesome novelty setup.

FTFY
Plus, if you guys want to make a point, skip the walls, because everyone else in the game does as well. - Magister Ludi
Hoopla
Hoopla
Hoopla

Post Post #174 (ISO) » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:20 am

Post by Hoopla »

In post 173, Empking wrote:
In post 166, Vi wrote:Tread Carefully seems like a
goofy
awesome novelty setup.

FTFY

Yeah, I think it's kind of cool. Probably belongs in the Experimental category now that I think about it.

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”