Newbie 1170: DarthYoshi's Medieval Mafia! (Fin--Who won?!)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
DarthYoshi
DarthYoshi
I am your Father
DarthYoshi
I am your Father
I am your Father

Post Post #100 (ISO) » Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:17 pm

Post by DarthYoshi »

Day One, Vote Count the Fourth

duckhunter4242 (3): DaLetterEl, LyingBrian, cjdrum
Painkiller (2): Fakinha, sorgster
Fakinha (2): DeasVail, duckhunter4242
Not Voting (2): Painkiller, Shinki

With 9 alive, it takes 5 to lynch and 5 to no-lynch.

The deadline is currently set for 9:00 am, Pacific Daylight Time, Sunday, October 23.

DeasVail replaces Zemelo-Franko.

As ever, any questions or concerns, please let me know.
On hiatus from any new mafia commitments.
Jesus loves you. But that doesn't mean you're town.
James 2:13
duckhunter4242
duckhunter4242
Townie
duckhunter4242
Townie
Townie

Post Post #101 (ISO) » Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:24 pm

Post by duckhunter4242 »

@sorgster I'm not shipping with anyone I think is town, I sheep when people I think are town disclaim my ideas before able to so I can either agree or change my ideas. Changing my ideas would be even a worse option then shipping because I wouldn't be playing my game I would be playing my game according to the disclaiming of other peoples ideas
League of Legends Professional- add me Bubba Larson
CoD Professional XBL- gamertag xMrBigHossx
sorgster
sorgster
Mafia Scum
sorgster
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #102 (ISO) » Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:26 pm

Post by sorgster »

A bit confused by your last post duckhunter.

Why is the IC so quiet?
Marathon Game record
1-0.5(replace out during day 1)
duckhunter4242
duckhunter4242
Townie
duckhunter4242
Townie
Townie

Post Post #103 (ISO) » Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:28 pm

Post by duckhunter4242 »

There is just more to me shipping then me thinking people are town. I legitametly had those ideas before they were posted. But my options once they have been posted are sheep or changing my ideas to not look like a sheeper. I'd rather sheep
duckhunter4242
duckhunter4242
Townie
duckhunter4242
Townie
Townie

Post Post #104 (ISO) » Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:31 pm

Post by duckhunter4242 »

Sheeping*
DarthYoshi
DarthYoshi
I am your Father
DarthYoshi
I am your Father
I am your Father

Post Post #105 (ISO) » Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:50 pm

Post by DarthYoshi »

Prodding LyingBrian.
On hiatus from any new mafia commitments.
Jesus loves you. But that doesn't mean you're town.
James 2:13
Fakinha
Fakinha
Townie
Fakinha
Townie
Townie

Post Post #106 (ISO) » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:07 pm

Post by Fakinha »

In post 101, duckhunter4242 wrote:@sorgster I'm not shipping with anyone I think is town, I sheep when people I think are town disclaim my ideas before able to so I can either agree or change my ideas. Changing my ideas would be even a worse option then shipping because I wouldn't be playing my game I would be playing my game according to the disclaiming of other peoples ideas

Wat? Who do you think are scum and who do you think are town? And why?

UNVOTE: VOTE: Shinki
So, you gonna read and post something usefull or not?
DaLetterEl
DaLetterEl
Townie
DaLetterEl
Townie
Townie

Post Post #107 (ISO) » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:50 pm

Post by DaLetterEl »

starting to realize that posting a lot of stuff is counter-productive if no one wants to read what you have to say. I'll try cutting it down a bit. Anything that has any relevance to a read, though, will still be longer than most of the posters here post.

responding to some of the parts i found relevant in lyingbrian's post

In post 69, LyingBrian wrote:
In post 58, DaLetterEl wrote:a wall of text defending his color test

I get it, posting that much was unnecessary. Blame boredom.

In post 69, LyingBrian wrote:you misunderstood my FOS. my FOS was not b/c of how quickly duck voted, but rather how quickly he jumped on a bandwagon w/o giving any additional information about their vote, but rather copying the reason the first vote gave.

Thanks for the clarification; I agree that that would be a good reason to suspect someone, and I happen to largely agree with the suspicion on duckhunter at the moment, which is why I have kept my vote on him. And that's not changing until I get a good reason to back off of him.

In post 69, LyingBrian wrote:i'm very curious about something. how many games have you played & used your color questionnaire?

Other than on epicmafia, where I've used it to reasonable degrees of success on 3-way lylo, 4 times, not including this one. I used it once on day 1 and it worked; the others I did later in the game on lylo to change the pace up a bit. It failed once before; the other times it put scum in a position where they became scummier and scummier. The other time, I was lynched, but my read was wrong based off of it anyway.

In post 69, LyingBrian wrote:if you think my calling your questionnaire "stupid" equals "not pro-town", then again you misinterpret me. it was a semi-decent way to kick off the game, but to make statements like "blue is the color of someone's face when the mafia is choking them" doesn't really help get the ball rolling, except to talk about whether or not the "color test" is a good way to start RVs, which is what we've done so far.

I really don't see why you continue to harp on the "x color is bad for y reason which has to do with mafia" as being somehow important. I have already said that it was just me trying to poke some fun. Why does this still concern you?

I have already pointed out that it is literally just two simple questions. Your refusal to answer them, not the question itself, has caused this thread in a decent part (see - content of nearly all of shinki's posts, majority of content in my posts, and a good bit of your own as well are the ones that come to mind) to become much more side-tracked than it should have been. Was that your intention? Because as of now, you have starkly failed the color test, and I feel as though you have attempted to use the confusion to your advantage. Why do you continue to refuse to answer the question? It is two simple questions (plus me getting to make a joke about how that color relates to being mafia). It being extraneous, while I do agree is for the most part not as valid as a final reason to vote for someone, should have been a good place to get discussion going. Instead -- while I do take some of the blame for this, and to an extent continue to do so just by posting a response to your complaining about it -- you harp on the question itself.

While it seems as though you have backtracked a bit in your tone from your last post to this one to a middle ground which I find more reasonable, I find the backtracking to feel fake. While I can certainly see how it could be used to put some pressure on someone, it feels like a dishonest way to do so, and the backing off feels like a way to feel more pro-town to your average townie for simply "being reasonable." I don't mean to suggest that it is the reasonability that I find scummy; not at all. I find that the seeming changing of your position on what I've been doing and saying to feel dishonest.

In post 69, LyingBrian wrote:based off pure speculation, i would say that you are mafia DaLetterEl, just b/c of the amount & frequency that you post (mafia like to talk a lot, but again this could be personality). i don't actually think this is the case, though, as i have no base to compare your current post count to other games.

On other sites, I was used to posting twice a day, and usually would have at least one post of substantial length when I either felt extremely bored or when I really had something to say. However, I think that most of the people I was playing against kind of knew that essentially whenever I posted, that I would say something rather substantial. Still, I've probably posted too much, in that multiple people are complaining about simply not wanting to read my posts thus far, which sucks, because I want people to read what I have to think and say.

@ Fakinha, Yeah, my post was pretty unnecessary, but at the time, that was really the only post that had been made since my last one, and I was bored and didn't know when I would be able to post again. So I posted that.

In one of your latest posts, you say that I'm weird (which is probably true...), and then place some thoughts on players based on some of your reads. Why in particular do you find LyingBrian to be "almost town?"

@ Shinki, you seem to be decently active, and yet I haven't heard much about your thoughts on other players. Would you care to explain your thoughts on the current lynch on duck? do you like it or do you not like it?

@ new guy, deasvail, welcome! why are those your favorite colors? did you know that the initials of orange and purple make up OP, which is what mafia members try to do to innocents - overpower them?

@ duck, as of now, who are your one or two strongest FOS's, and why are they strong FOS's of yours? If you give me a convincing argument against someone else, I might be more willing to vote for someone else.
DeasVail
DeasVail
he/him
Survivor
DeasVail
he/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #108 (ISO) » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:40 pm

Post by DeasVail »

Thanks for the welcome duckhunter :D

It seems that my vote is on Fakinha and I don't find her particularly scummy at the moment, so

UNVOTE FAKINHA
(I hope I did that right)

I want to get everyone to talk more so:

Duckhunter: It seems that your vote is still on Fakinha, even though you said that he hasn't confirmed your susipicions. Why is this? Do you still suspect him? If so, why? Why did you find the "white is peace, red is blood" quote scummy?

Pankiller: What do you think of duckhunter's behaviour? You said you agreed with him about DLE's long posts, but what else do you think? Also, Why do you think wall-texts are scummy? The more people say, the more information we gain, and people don't have to read long posts if they don't want to, so I don't understand how it can make people tired of discussing.

Cjdrum: Why did you not answer all of the questions that DLE asked? Is it so that you can say as little as possible and be asked as few questions as possible? Do you think that mafia are less likely to answer the "U MAFFF?" question seriously?

Shinki: I must agree with Fakinha that you haven't said much. What are your thoughts?

Fakinha: What made you say with such certainty that cjdrum and sorgster are town?

DaLetterEl: What do you think of people connecting your long posts with likelihood to be scum? Do you think there is a connection? Also, how reliable do you personally think your colour test is? Why did you tell everyone to be careful with how they answer it?

LyingBrian: Why were you so cynical regarding DLE's questions? It seems that most of the current discussion has developed from them. Have you got a better way of generating discussion?

Sorgster: You've made a few posts, but it seems you haven't said all that much. What do you think of everyone so far?

(I realised halfway through that DLE posted, but thought I may as well continue. Some extra questions can't do any harm.)

In response to DLE: I didn't know that the initials made overpower. I thought everyone knew that OP meant "Obviously Pure". Anyway, I've liked orange for ages, probably because orange-coloured lollies were my favourite when I was 5. I don't know about purple. I just find it appealing for some reason.
LyingBrian
LyingBrian
Does not play well with others
LyingBrian

Post Post #109 (ISO) » Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:23 am

Post by LyingBrian »

hello all, sorry i wasn't able to notify you of my absence, but work got crazy busy the past few days. i should be on either later today, or tomorrow at the latest to do a full review of the game so far, and make a contributing post. thanks for your patience.
Shinki
Shinki
Goon
Shinki
Goon
Goon

Post Post #110 (ISO) » Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:13 am

Post by Shinki »

Yay! Today is boring sunday at grandpa's house, so I'll be able to write something good in a few hours.
duckhunter4242
duckhunter4242
Townie
duckhunter4242
Townie
Townie

Post Post #111 (ISO) » Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:53 am

Post by duckhunter4242 »

Fakinha- Town
Unvote

Vote DLE

His walltexts are unnecessary and off topic
DaLetterEl
DaLetterEl
Townie
DaLetterEl
Townie
Townie

Post Post #112 (ISO) » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:18 am

Post by DaLetterEl »

In post 108, DeasVail wrote:

DaLetterEl: What do you think of people connecting your long posts with likelihood to be scum? Do you think there is a connection? Also, how reliable do you personally think your colour test is? Why did you tell everyone to be careful with how they answer it?

I do understand what they mean, in that since people don't have much meta on me, and most posters here post 1-4 line posts, that my play is "different" from most people playing. I disagree that the size of the post necessarily makes someone scummy; I think that posting lots of fluff is a better indicator. Still, I agree with some of the complaints in the thread about how no one wants to read something super long, especially if much of what is in the post isn't a direct read on someone. If people really aren't reading what I'm saying, that is unproductive and I can understand how people read that as not pro-town.

I'm inclined to believe that there is more of a correlation between talking differently than one normally does. I think that post content is typically more of a meta read than a read which is set in stone. If someone typically is super active with lots of questions and scumhunting and then starts lurking inexplicably and posting not much of relevance (or posting at all), I think that that makes someone scummy. And vice-verse.

I think that the color test is probably not as reliable as I would like it to be, but it is a place to begin and get a little bit of discussion going. I don't think it's strong enough to lynch independently off of, and isn't as good as something that isn't extraneous, but it has been good enough to get good reads on behavior before and can lead to in-game behavior that can be read. It also can throw people off, which can be good.

Why not warn them? The color test is serious business.

What are your thoughts on posting length? What are your impressions on some of the other players from your read-through of the thread?

In post 108, DeasVail wrote:In response to DLE: I didn't know that the initials made overpower. I thought everyone knew that OP meant "Obviously Pure". Anyway, I've liked orange for ages, probably because orange-coloured lollies were my favourite when I was 5. I don't know about purple. I just find it appealing for some reason.

thanks for answering!

@ duckhunter

duckhunter4242 wrote:His walltexts are unnecessary and off topic

I am taking this post as an implicit answer to my question to you in my last post.

Yeah, the fakinha post was a bit unnecessary on my part, but i've already said why i made it. I don't think that most of my post in response to lyingbrian was unnecessary, though. I'm naturally a bit verbose, sure, but I think that most of the content in those posts are useful. A good deal of it explains what I felt about the test, some others got some advice from an IC, and others helped me to get some responses from him and start to form a bit of a read on him. And not much that I've said is off-topic besides a bit of joking around, but it pretty much been accompanied by questions I've had or thoughts of mine.

Which posts of mine have you read? Is the size of my posts the only reason you view me as scummy, or are there specific things I have said that you find suspicious? Why do you change your vote to me only now? Because it feels to me as though you are reacting to someone telling you what you should be doing to not look scummy rather than doing it out of a legitimate change in opinion or a deliberate thought to put pressure on someone.
duckhunter4242
duckhunter4242
Townie
duckhunter4242
Townie
Townie

Post Post #113 (ISO) » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:45 am

Post by duckhunter4242 »

@DLE I honestly am in a pickle right now, because I could have kept my vote on Fakinha from sheeping but I dont think he is scummy and get harped on for not changing my vote from not having any backup. But my other option is to change my vote to someone else you I think could be scum then I get harped on for changing my answer just because someone said I should. Ever since I sheeped any options I take are gonna look bad on my part. In response to your question I don't have any other FOS because I don't have a read on anyone else so far, as we are still very early in the game and I am not the best at reading people.
Shinki
Shinki
Goon
Shinki
Goon
Goon

Post Post #114 (ISO) » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:14 am

Post by Shinki »

'k, so I'll be writing down my thoughts as I read the thread.

In post 38, duckhunter4242 wrote:
In post 37, Zemelo-Franko wrote:
In post 32, Fakinha wrote:
In post 25, DaLetterEl wrote:Fakinha, why is white your favorite color? You realize that mafias typically are portrayed as wearing white button-down shirts, correct?

I would like to note to everyone that my color test has only failed me once. So you all should be very careful with how you answer it!

White is peace, red is blood. I see a scum trying to manipulate information.
UNVOTE: Shinki
VOTE: Letter

Having eaten some dinner, this post sticks out more and more. Going on the defensive at a slight prod, and then voting for the questioner? That smells of over-reaction and panic, of scum trying to keep all suspicion off themselves.

UNVOTE: duckhunter4242
VOTE: Fakinha

I was thinking the exact same thing after looking at the thread longer
Unvote
Vote Fakinha

Ok, this draws my attention. Sheeping Zemelo post here was totally unnecessary, that's a bad attempt at starting a wagon.

In post 41, DaLetterEl wrote:@Shinki If I were to answer my own question, then wouldn't that defeat the purpose of using it to develop tells? I think that using the uncertainty of how to "correctly" answer the question is more important than my answer to the question, especially considering I am the one who proposed the question in the first place. What purpose does it serve for me to answer the question to my very own test? I've already set the rules to that game, so my answer should be meaningless to you, not to mention that my answer to said question would obviously fit under something that I consider to be a "pro-town" answer due to it being my test. Why are you so curious as to how I answer the question? Are you afraid that you will answer my question "incorrectly" and want a model answer to copy? Perhaps you are afraid of the knowledge that Barney the Dinosaur killed my innocent childhood in a similar fashion to the mafia killing innocent civilians? Why is it that you like the color purple?

I'm not talking about "how" the answers should be to seem pro-town, my point is: Your questionary benefits mostly the mafia.
It's a newbie game and we don't know each other, it's more profitable to the scum to kill active players that have their own opinions and have a strong personality. If I was scum I would use your questionary to at least help finding the ideal night targets for sure. I hope your questions help us lynching scum, otherwise it's not profitale at all.

Basically everything until now is a total overreact about DLE color questions, I don't believe they're good until he shows some results, but I don't find it worth so much discussion. And yet, you guys are picking on him for the wrong reason.

About Duckhunter.
You're only sheeping until now, and I understand that is normal for townies to sheep, yes.
But yours doesn't seem like a townie sheeping. In another game I'm playing, I mostly sheeped as townie through day 1, but I was very different from you. You're just sheeping for bad reasons or just blindly agreeing with someone without good reasons at all.

In post 106, Fakinha wrote:
In post 101, duckhunter4242 wrote:@sorgster I'm not shipping with anyone I think is town, I sheep when people I think are town disclaim my ideas before able to so I can either agree or change my ideas. Changing my ideas would be even a worse option then shipping because I wouldn't be playing my game I would be playing my game according to the disclaiming of other peoples ideas

Wat? Who do you think are scum and who do you think are town? And why?

UNVOTE: VOTE: Shinki
So, you gonna read and post something usefull or not?

Unnecessary vote is unnecessary.

#DLE

Wagon on duckhunter is good.

-

I don't have any town reads atm, mostly null.
Scum cookies go to duckhunter.
Fakinha
Fakinha
Townie
Fakinha
Townie
Townie

Post Post #115 (ISO) » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:36 am

Post by Fakinha »

@DLE
I think LyingBrian (oh god, I always read as lying BRAIN) is focusing too much on you, DLE, too much. That's the only strange vibe I got from his play.

@Deas
Cjdrum and Sorgster go straight to the point and what is necessary to say (imo). I think they are pretty much town.

@Shinki
dwi *put glasses*

UNVOTE:

Also, the Zemelo sheep wasn't all that bad, a random wagon at the start of the game can be very. very usefull, but duckhunter didn't change his way of playing after the wagon pressure failed (and Zemelo got replaced anw).
sorgster
sorgster
Mafia Scum
sorgster
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #116 (ISO) » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:39 am

Post by sorgster »

Painkiller, is there any reason you are still quiet? You haven't posted much at all.
Marathon Game record
duckhunter4242
duckhunter4242
Townie
duckhunter4242
Townie
Townie

Post Post #117 (ISO) » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:10 am

Post by duckhunter4242 »

Eww scum cookies
@Everyone- I may not have played as the most towniest person but I have been active and have been trying to figure out people, at least I am not sitting at the wayside and have like 2 posts.
duckhunter4242
duckhunter4242
Townie
duckhunter4242
Townie
Townie

Post Post #118 (ISO) » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:18 am

Post by duckhunter4242 »

@Painkiller please post something, sitting there and doing nothing has gotten a lot of suspicion. You have less posts then one of the people who got replaced.
sorgster
sorgster
Mafia Scum
sorgster
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #119 (ISO) » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:30 am

Post by sorgster »

I'm starting to think the scumteam is lyingbrian and painkiller.
Marathon Game record
duckhunter4242
duckhunter4242
Townie
duckhunter4242
Townie
Townie

Post Post #120 (ISO) » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:23 am

Post by duckhunter4242 »

In post 90, Painkiller wrote:
I don't think duckhunter sounded scummy when he said that about DLE...Actually, I agree. Wall texts are counter-productive, I think it distracts and makes people get tired of discussing...Scummy IMO.

I agree that painkiller's quietness is scummy but in this post he tries to move the bandwagon off of me. Which doesn't make sense because if he was scum he would know I was town as the scum know who each other are according to post 0-1 by Yoshi. So I don't think that Painkiller is scum, maybe he has just had a busy week.
Painkiller
Painkiller
Townie
Painkiller
Townie
Townie

Post Post #121 (ISO) » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:45 am

Post by Painkiller »

In post 108, DeasVail wrote:Pankiller: What do you think of duckhunter's behaviour? You said you agreed with him about DLE's long posts, but what else do you think?

Well, indeed that vote in Fakinha was unecessary and too rushed. I also think that LyingBrian and Duck are a bit scummy for going against DLE since the begining of the game, I mean, it's just a test color. They are making too much of fuss over it and trying to cut someone who is trying to moviment the town.

In post 108, DeasVail wrote:Also, Why do you think wall-texts are scummy?

And it's not like I find ALL wall-text scummy. But like Hunter said 4 paragraphs to explain why he is being friendly is too much. My point is, if you can make something short and clear, then the best is to do it.

In post 108, DeasVail wrote:The more people say, the more information we gain, and people don't have to read long posts if they don't want to, so I don't understand how it can make people tired of discussing.

Not exacly. Sometimes, people speak too much but don't say anything at all. Long posts can have much useless information that deceive us from important things. Or else useless information that make us think that the person is saying something productive or something but in reality is not doing so.

In post 96, cjdrum wrote:And which question, may I ask, was this? The questions I didn't answer were (paraphrased) "U MAF???", "Fave colour", "Lynch based purely off username", "Play any sports" and "Anything else interesting?". Which of these is the most relevant, except for me?

Since the game is about finding and lynching scums, the most relevant question would be 'U MAF???'

@Duck I wasn't trying to bandwagon off of you at all. We just agreed on a point, that's all.

But yeah, I had a busy week. Sorry. xD
duckhunter4242
duckhunter4242
Townie
duckhunter4242
Townie
Townie

Post Post #122 (ISO) » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:01 am

Post by duckhunter4242 »

@Painkiller You were just the only person who wasnt completely against me and trying to feed me scum cookies
DeasVail
DeasVail
he/him
Survivor
DeasVail
he/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #123 (ISO) » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:32 am

Post by DeasVail »

Thanks to those who answered my questions :)

@DaLetterEL: I don't think that long posts make someone more likely to be scum, but I lack experience and in my previous game, almost everyone made long posts, so those who are suspecting you could have something without me realising it. I'm not really sure at the moment regarding who is scum. I'm hoping to gain more information from responses to my questions. Duckhunter is the only one that has stood out to me, but I still think he could be town.

@fakinha: I don't agree with believing that anyone is town at this early stage. I think it's important to consider the possibility of anyone being mafia.

@sorgster: Any particular reason why you think painkiller and lyingbrian are scum? Is it just a hunch? (Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against hunches, I'd just like to know)

@duckhunter: I don't think your reasoning for painkiller being town are sound. I think it is very possible that scum could defend someone so they look better in the eyes of whoever they defended and look better if the person they defended is revealed town.

To those who haven't answered my questions (lyingbrian, cjdrum, duckhunter) I would appreciate it if you did, but of course, you don't have to.
sorgster
sorgster
Mafia Scum
sorgster
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #124 (ISO) » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:54 am

Post by sorgster »

Mostly a hunch but the both don't post much at all until they are asked to. This IC is awfully quiet.
Marathon Game record

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”