Dungeons and Dragons

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Kublai Khan
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Khan Man

Post Post #50 (ISO) » Wed May 16, 2012 4:54 pm

Post by Kublai Khan »

In post 29, Kcdaspot wrote:I wanna do more ad&d in mish mash

This. If anyone starts up another mishmash D&D game, let me know.
Occasionally intellectually honest

Black Lives Matter
Get vaccinated
OhGodMyLife
OhGodMyLife
Silent But Deadly
OhGodMyLife
Silent But Deadly
Silent But Deadly

Post Post #51 (ISO) » Wed May 16, 2012 5:58 pm

Post by OhGodMyLife »

Thinking about running a Mish Mash Pathfinder game with short, strict deadlines for a fast pace of play (something like 24 hours, at least for battles). Who would be interested / available to keep up that kind of schedule?

Also, anyone know a good, simple way to make images of maps?
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #52 (ISO) » Wed May 16, 2012 6:02 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I would, but I haven't got the Pathfinder books, and I'm legally forbidden from torrenting again.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
OhGodMyLife
OhGodMyLife
Silent But Deadly
OhGodMyLife
Silent But Deadly
Silent But Deadly

Post Post #53 (ISO) » Wed May 16, 2012 6:05 pm

Post by OhGodMyLife »

http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

Has pretty much everything you need to play, for free on the interwebs
UncertainKitten
UncertainKitten
Maid In Japan
UncertainKitten
Maid In Japan
Maid In Japan

Post Post #54 (ISO) » Wed May 16, 2012 6:21 pm

Post by UncertainKitten »

I use this for Pathfinder, but same difference: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/

OGML: I use Google Docs and make a spreadsheet. They are the most ghetto maps ever, but they work.
"Never have I seen anybody glorify their own lynch."
-StrangerCoug

Internet Mafia
is probably never going to happen. You all probably knew that.
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #55 (ISO) » Wed May 16, 2012 9:42 pm

Post by BBmolla »

In post 49, InflatablePie wrote:
In post 46, Kcdaspot wrote:Sounds like they need a archer of some sort?

Something like a ranger?

I'm the rogue in question, and I can provide a small amount of archery, as I have and can use crossbows. I won't have any feats related to archery for a while, so I may not be that effective, but I can fill in that gap if needed. Rolled a 17 DEX, so that may be helpful.

Also, I think our pally is going Cleric instead, with Reck going Fighter and the last guy going Ranger (probably).

Yes this is what I'd suggest.

Fighter(To take damage)
Cleric(To heal)
Ranger/Rogue(Shoot from a distance/track/deal with traps)
Wizard(Do Wizard shit)

Depends what level you guys are playing at, if you're starting at 1 and not going to play all that much, don't use spellcasters, they'll be boring as shit.

If you guys plan on either starting higher or playing till you get to higher levels, go ahead and play wizard/sorc, they'll be fun eventually.
@thesupertriomusical on Instagram, come see it if you’re in LA area, I wrote it!
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #56 (ISO) » Thu May 17, 2012 12:43 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Here's usually what I recommend, for an optimal party

Cleric (Take more martial domains, best for tanking)
Cleric (Healing)
Cleric (More offensive spells; can multiclass Wizard/Mystic Theurge for more oomph)
Cleric with one rogue level (Best trapfinder).

It's pretty much the most powerful party. Feel free to replace the Cleric-Tank with a Druid-Tank; some of the Wild Shapes are ridiculously powerful.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
Kcdaspot
Kcdaspot
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Kcdaspot
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #57 (ISO) » Thu May 17, 2012 5:56 pm

Post by Kcdaspot »

So tell me sudo which class you REALLY like? What are your true thoughts?

[/sarcasm]
A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?
UncertainKitten
UncertainKitten
Maid In Japan
UncertainKitten
Maid In Japan
Maid In Japan

Post Post #58 (ISO) » Thu May 17, 2012 6:23 pm

No, he's right, Clerics are better at everything than every other class except potentially casting. Wizards get lots more save and suck which is vital, and Mystic Theurge is a legitly horrible class why would you do that Sudo?
-StrangerCoug

Internet Mafia
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #59 (ISO) » Thu May 17, 2012 6:50 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Mystic Theurge is fine if you're trying to get Wizard caster levels on a Cleric. I used to take the Magic and Arcana domains, then a few caster levels as a wizard, which gave a lot of Arcane power to a Cleric while still getting to level 9 divine spells.

I also like Rainbow Servant on a Sorc, though then you only get to level 8 spells in arcane and divine.
UncertainKitten
UncertainKitten
Maid In Japan
UncertainKitten
Maid In Japan
Maid In Japan

Post Post #60 (ISO) » Thu May 17, 2012 7:00 pm

Huh. Well, I know there was some cheesy way to get level 9 spells in both arcane and divine but damned if I can remember it. But it used a lot of silly multiclassing.
-StrangerCoug

Internet Mafia
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #61 (ISO) » Thu May 17, 2012 7:27 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I forget the name of it now, but there's a prestige class in FR that starts at level 4 spells, and goes up to level 9 around the 6th level in the class, and uses the cleric spell list (though gets no domains). Makes it very easy to get to level 9 despite multiclassing.
AniX
AniX
None
UCalled
AniX
None
UCalled
UCalled
Pronoun: None

Post Post #62 (ISO) » Sat May 19, 2012 3:24 pm

Post by AniX »

In post 51, OhGodMyLife wrote:Thinking about running a Mish Mash Pathfinder game with short, strict deadlines for a fast pace of play (something like 24 hours, at least for battles). Who would be interested / available to keep up that kind of schedule?

Also, anyone know a good, simple way to make images of maps?

I would be immensely interested.

Also, if anyone ever needs another person for an outside-mafiascum online game, I'm super interested. I'm experienced with 3.5 and Spirit of the Century and could pick up Pathfinder I suspect easily enough. My normal group had to break up since we graduate from undergrad and spread all over the place with conflicting schedules.
Official Gimmick List:
INVENTOR OF UPICK!
LORD OF THE 11TH HOUR!
ASEXUAL!
KING SCAR APOLOGIST!
DREAMER OF THE NE0N DREAM (SUPP 2021 LAST PLACE WINNER)!

I have donned the
RED CROWN
Viktyr Korimir
Viktyr Korimir
Townie
Viktyr Korimir
Townie
Townie

Post Post #63 (ISO) » Sat May 19, 2012 3:32 pm

Post by Viktyr Korimir »

In post 60, UncertainKitten wrote:Huh. Well, I know there was some cheesy way to get level 9 spells in both arcane and divine but damned if I can remember it. But it used a lot of silly multiclassing.

Most straightforward way, if you're Evil, is Wizard 8/Mindbender 1/Ur-Priest 2/Mystic Theurge 8.
Viktyr Korimir
Viktyr Korimir
Townie
Viktyr Korimir
Townie
Townie

Post Post #64 (ISO) » Sat May 19, 2012 3:35 pm

Post by Viktyr Korimir »

In post 59, Sudo_Nym wrote:I also like Rainbow Servant on a Sorc, though then you only get to level 8 spells in arcane and divine.

Text trumps table and the errata never fixed it: Rainbow Servant doesn't lose caster levels.

Of course, it's better on a Beguiler or a Warmage than on a Sorcerer.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #65 (ISO) » Sat May 19, 2012 4:52 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

In post 64, Viktyr Korimir wrote:
In post 59, Sudo_Nym wrote:I also like Rainbow Servant on a Sorc, though then you only get to level 8 spells in arcane and divine.

Text trumps table and the errata never fixed it: Rainbow Servant doesn't lose caster levels.

Of course, it's better on a Beguiler or a Warmage than on a Sorcerer.

The errata didn't fix it, but the DM did. Poor DM; he had a table full of powergamers and rules lawyers to deal with. We once had a three hour argument on whether Detect Magic could locate somebody under an Invisibility spell. HE CAN- IT'S A MAGIC SPELL, AND DETECT MAGIC DETECTS MAGIC SPELLS
Viktyr Korimir
Viktyr Korimir
Townie
Viktyr Korimir
Townie
Townie

Post Post #66 (ISO) » Sat May 19, 2012 5:05 pm

Post by Viktyr Korimir »

Yeah, I sympathize. A lot of Prestige Classes seemed to have been designed by people who didn't understand the kind of class abilities that would be worth the loss of ninth level spells... which is to say,
absolutely nothing

Of course, this only leads back into my general rant about how 3.X completely ruined multiclassing.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #67 (ISO) » Sat May 19, 2012 5:54 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Plus, Wizards didn't seem to comprehend how quickly Clerics become godlike superbeings with the supplements. Immediate access to any divine spell, no divine spell failure chance from armor, feats that make the Turn Undead class feature incredible, plus some powerful prestige classes. It's just unfair.

Those turn undead feats were crazy, though. Even if you don't want to be a caster class, you're still better off being a Paladin instead of a Fighter, just to take the Divine Might feat. And then, you're still better off multiclassing to Sorc at level 4, for the spells. Argh!
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #68 (ISO) » Mon May 21, 2012 10:00 am

Post by Yosarian2 »

Heh. Wizard is such a funny class, especally in second edition. It's like "Play this class if you don't mind running and hiding from everything until you somehow survive get to a decent level, but want to be godlike at high level, and think there's actaually a chance your gaming group will be together long enough for that to pay off."

I really do want to know why they decided to make a level 1 wizard weak enough so that he would usually be killed in battle with a single angry housecat.

When my one group of friend played, wizards tended to get weapon proficiency in sling at first level a lot, on the theory that you'd spend most of your time hiding in trees and you might as well try to do something useful while you're there.
I want us to win just for Yos' inevitable rant alone. -CrashTextDummie
Bub Bidderskins
Bub Bidderskins
he/him
Mafia Scum
Bub Bidderskins
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #69 (ISO) » Mon May 21, 2012 10:02 am

Post by Bub Bidderskins »

Is the wizard still like that in 4e, or are all the classes balanced now?
Show
Total: 17/15/1
Town: 10/13/1
Scum: 7/2/0
Other: 0/0/0

"Bub Bidderskins-If he's scum, I'll catch him in 2 posts. If he's town, he'll probably be somewhat useful." ~Parama
Viktyr Korimir
Viktyr Korimir
Townie
Viktyr Korimir
Townie
Townie

Post Post #70 (ISO) » Mon May 21, 2012 10:08 am

Post by Viktyr Korimir »

They're all pretty much balanced in 4e-- every class has a role, every class is good at its role, and each role is really important. It's just boring, in my opinion. There aren't enough out-of-combat powers, for the mages or for any other class.
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #71 (ISO) » Mon May 21, 2012 10:10 am

Post by Yosarian2 »

In post 69, Bub Bidderskins wrote:Is the wizard still like that in 4e, or are all the classes balanced now?

Wizards, even low level ones, get to cast a wimpy version of magic missile pretty much at will in 4e, which is kind of cool.

I really don't like the 4e combat system in general, though; players have a lot less room for creativity then in "real" D&D games, and combat doesn't have the D&D flavor anymore. I don't think the classes are that well balanced, either, but I haven't played it enough to say for certain.
I want us to win just for Yos' inevitable rant alone. -CrashTextDummie
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #72 (ISO) » Mon May 21, 2012 11:20 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

If you're casting the Magic Missile at will, you're missing out. It's actually the worst At-Will Wizards have access to; it only does damage, which is bad for a controller, and doesn't roll to-hit, which by RAW means it doesn't get bonus damage, so it's bad damage. Wizards get some very good at-wills for a controller.

The balance in 4e is pretty solid; it's not perfect, granted (Rangers get crazy DPS), but it's not terribly broken, and you can be a good character in any class, except for Seeker. I don't know anything about 4e post-Essentials, though.

I understand the hate for 4e, I guess, it's just not important to me. 4e to me, feels like a very fun RPG to play, it's just not very similar to previous DnD games. If they'd called it something else, it probably wouldn't have half the hate it gets.
Nightson
Nightson
Goon
Nightson
Goon
Goon

Post Post #73 (ISO) » Mon May 21, 2012 12:26 pm

Post by Nightson »

It really depends on what you want out of the system. If you want balanced classes 4e is much better then 3.5/Pathfinder. But it balances things by making magic very generic, your spells are bolts and explosions that do damage and give a status condition and this isn't different from what other classes can do. Pathfinder on the other hand is not balanced, it just isn't, spellcasters are squishier then other classes and they can run dry on juice, but they do things mundane classes simple can't. Personally, I like the unbalanced magical system because the sorts of things it can do are more in keeping with what I think fantasy magic should be like.
"Faust complained about having two souls in his breast, but I harbor a whole crowd of them and they quarrel. It is like being in a republic." ~Otto von Bismarck
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #74 (ISO) » Mon May 21, 2012 12:55 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Which is where the division between roleplay and combat comes in; the same thing that's defined every RPG, really. DnD's roots are in tactical combat games, and I have no problem with 4e, which makes a real return to that. If I want a game that's heavy on RP, and a little fuzzier on combat, I'm happy to play WoD or Shadowrun.

Return to “The Arcade”