Dungeons and Dragons

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #75 (ISO) » Mon May 21, 2012 6:30 pm

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 72, Sudo_Nym wrote:The balance in 4e is pretty solid; it's not perfect, granted (Rangers get crazy DPS), but it's not terribly broken, and you can be a good character in any class, except for Seeker. I don't know anything about 4e post-Essentials, though.

But I liked Seeker.
jdodge1019: hasjghsalghsakljghs is from vermont
jdodge1019: vermont is made of liberal freaks and cows
jdodge1019: he's not a liberal
jdodge1019: thus he is a cow
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #76 (ISO) » Mon May 21, 2012 7:15 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

In post 75, hasdgfas wrote:
In post 72, Sudo_Nym wrote:The balance in 4e is pretty solid; it's not perfect, granted (Rangers get crazy DPS), but it's not terribly broken, and you can be a good character in any class, except for Seeker. I don't know anything about 4e post-Essentials, though.

But I liked Seeker.

It's got a lot of flavor, I'll grant. And chucking weapons is a unique nitch. But it's strictly worse than Ranger at ranged combat (but then, every class is worse than the Ranger when it comes to dealing damage). The real problem is that several of its class features are broken (in a bad way) under RAW, and it gets almost no worthwhile abilities.

Basically, the Seeker is the only class where I can state with certainty that its outclassed in every category.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #77 (ISO) » Tue May 22, 2012 4:36 pm

Post by Yosarian2 »

In post 72, Sudo_Nym wrote:If you're casting the Magic Missile at will, you're missing out. It's actually the worst At-Will Wizards have access to; it only does damage, which is bad for a controller, and doesn't roll to-hit, which by RAW means it doesn't get bonus damage, so it's bad damage. Wizards get some very good at-wills for a controller.

My point was less "magic missile is awesome", and more "even at level 1 wizards actually spend most of their time in combat casting spells, instead of getting 1 spell during the whole day and then throwing rocks while hiding behind the fighter for the whole rest of the adventure." That is the one good thing about the 4e system, imho; you actually feel like a wizard even at level 1.
I want us to win just for Yos' inevitable rant alone. -CrashTextDummie
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #78 (ISO) » Tue May 22, 2012 7:30 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

In post 77, Yosarian2 wrote:
In post 72, Sudo_Nym wrote:If you're casting the Magic Missile at will, you're missing out. It's actually the worst At-Will Wizards have access to; it only does damage, which is bad for a controller, and doesn't roll to-hit, which by RAW means it doesn't get bonus damage, so it's bad damage. Wizards get some very good at-wills for a controller.

My point was less "magic missile is awesome", and more "even at level 1 wizards actually spend most of their time in combat casting spells, instead of getting 1 spell during the whole day and then throwing rocks while hiding behind the fighter for the whole rest of the adventure." That is the one good thing about the 4e system, imho; you actually feel like a wizard even at level 1.

Okay, I'll grant that. That's another thing I really like about 4e- each class has its flavor, and goes about its role in a unique way. Fighters and Paladins are both defenders, but they have their own flavor and distinct powers.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #79 (ISO) » Thu May 24, 2012 1:46 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

Starting our campaign tonight! Super excited
green shirt thursdays
SpyreX
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
POWERFUL WIZARD

Post Post #80 (ISO) » Thu May 24, 2012 1:53 pm

Post by SpyreX »

D&D Next is really D&D 3rd with some tweaks.

Siiighhh
Show
I always lynch scum... sometimes they're just not mafia. :P

Town: (49-47-1)
Scum: (23-11)
Third Party: (2-0)
Proud member of BaM
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #81 (ISO) » Thu May 24, 2012 2:05 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

umm so Pathfinder

I find a lot of the stuff about D&D really overwhelming and annoying to have to remember, is Pathfinder simplified? Like I get the BASICS behind D&D and I can always go thumb through the rulebook to find what to do in certain situations or how certain stats affect other stats but that's a pain in the ass

I wanna simplified system
green shirt thursdays
SpyreX
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
POWERFUL WIZARD

Post Post #82 (ISO) » Thu May 24, 2012 2:07 pm

Post by SpyreX »

The system isn't too complicated. Its the erroneous bits. That just comes with time. ;)
Show

Proud member of BaM
Tierce
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Cache Me If You Can

Post Post #83 (ISO) » Thu May 24, 2012 2:13 pm

Post by Tierce »

Pathfinder is D&D 3.5e somewhat simplified and modified, but it's more aimed toward keeping the edition and system that some people love going with new projects than actually being
simpler

(Side note, you people: Don't try Alpha Omega if you want simple. The math kills game pacing every time us Wielders want to do something Awesome. >_<)

For anyone who is interested in gaming through the internet on a virtual tabletop with an integrated chat client, dice roller, macros and map grid, I strongly suggest TTopRPG. It's free, easy to learn, and the creator is active and takes requests for changes in the program. We use it either for text-only games or for voice+text with Skype on the side.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #84 (ISO) » Thu May 24, 2012 3:43 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

In post 81, xRECKONERx wrote:umm so Pathfinder

I find a lot of the stuff about D&D really overwhelming and annoying to have to remember, is Pathfinder simplified? Like I get the BASICS behind D&D and I can always go thumb through the rulebook to find what to do in certain situations or how certain stats affect other stats but that's a pain in the ass

Try GURPS
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #85 (ISO) » Thu May 24, 2012 4:15 pm

Post by GreyICE »

In post 81, xRECKONERx wrote:umm so Pathfinder

No pathfinder has more fiddly bits than D&D 3.X.

Basically if you dislike 3.X you'll dislike pathfinder.

Do not listen to Sudo, GURPS is the king of fiddly bits. If you dislike fiddly bits, I'd go with FATE or Savage Worlds, they're both very light and flexible systems that receive great reviews.
Show
That which is done out of love always takes place beyond good and evil

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #86 (ISO) » Thu May 24, 2012 4:45 pm

Post by Mr. Flay »

I hated Savage Worlds. Our playthrough turned out to be very uninteresting, because we could never succeed on anything daring, and we just ended up plinking each other death.

And yeah, Sudo is not your friend.

Wild Talents is my new favorite, though it needs some optional rule settings to deal with the brokenness of Hard Dice (perpetual 10s on a d10). Chargen is a bitch though.
Retired as of October 2014.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #87 (ISO) » Thu May 24, 2012 5:30 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

There's always Maid RPG if you're not man enough for a real game.
Seraphim
Seraphim
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Seraphim
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #88 (ISO) » Thu May 24, 2012 5:39 pm

Post by Seraphim »

So I've been taking a look at some different tabletops and Call of Cthulu really seems to stand out for me, if only because I'm a HUGE Lovecraft nerd.

I'm planning on playing Keeper for the first few games, I've read the manual through. Is anyone familiar with the system and offer me any advice? Just general GM advice in general?
AniX
AniX
None
UCalled
AniX
None
UCalled
UCalled
Pronoun: None

Post Post #89 (ISO) » Thu May 24, 2012 6:49 pm

Post by AniX »

I'm currently writing up a modern day game. No magic, Level 1, Level 2 and up players will get access to campaign-specific prestige classes. I'm going to encourage and reward RP. Everyone is going to leave when the big twist rising action happens.
Official Gimmick List:
INVENTOR OF UPICK!
LORD OF THE 11TH HOUR!
ASEXUAL!
KING SCAR APOLOGIST!
DREAMER OF THE NE0N DREAM (SUPP 2021 LAST PLACE WINNER)!

I have donned the
RED CROWN
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #90 (ISO) » Thu May 24, 2012 7:24 pm

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 87, Sudo_Nym wrote:There's always Maid RPG if you're not man enough for a real game.

I already suggested Maid RPG.
jdodge1019: hasjghsalghsakljghs is from vermont
jdodge1019: vermont is made of liberal freaks and cows
jdodge1019: he's not a liberal
jdodge1019: thus he is a cow
Viktyr Korimir
Viktyr Korimir
Townie
Viktyr Korimir
Townie
Townie

Post Post #91 (ISO) » Thu May 24, 2012 7:26 pm

Post by Viktyr Korimir »

I'm reading through the D&D Next playtest. It looks like a combination of Essentials and Basic D&D, but without the power system.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #92 (ISO) » Thu May 24, 2012 8:44 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

just entered a room with 10 kobolds, 2 gnolls, and 1 troglodyte captain. WHAT THE FUCK
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #93 (ISO) » Thu May 24, 2012 10:23 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

that was awesome.
green shirt thursdays
SpyreX
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
POWERFUL WIZARD

Post Post #94 (ISO) » Fri May 25, 2012 6:54 am

Post by SpyreX »

I'm reading through the D&D Next playtest. It looks like a combination of Essentials and Basic D&D, but without the power system.

I guess I'm not as familiar with Essentials because I really got a 3.x vibe from it. You know enough to detail it out a bit better than I can?

Looks like we're back to wonkus power curves. The fighter being a single page is back to the boring melee without the "benefit" of full attacks.
Show

Proud member of BaM
Bub Bidderskins
Bub Bidderskins
he/him
Mafia Scum
Bub Bidderskins
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #95 (ISO) » Fri May 25, 2012 7:27 am

Post by Bub Bidderskins »

Right now I'm looking to buy a set of dice. I found a bunch on Amazon. Any suggestions on what type/color to get from experience? Just looking at them, it seems like it would be a better idea to go for opaque dice as opposed to translucent. Translucent dice just seem hard to read.
Show
Total: 17/15/1
Town: 10/13/1
Scum: 7/2/0
Other: 0/0/0

"Bub Bidderskins-If he's scum, I'll catch him in 2 posts. If he's town, he'll probably be somewhat useful." ~Parama
Bella
Bella
Goon
Bella
Goon
Goon
Location: Welcome to Silent Hill (The living's in the way we die)

Post Post #96 (ISO) » Fri May 25, 2012 7:47 am

Post by Bella »

I haven't played online D&D in forever. This makes me sad. :(
Show
Chloroform girl, how have you been?
Don't let me catch you sleeping again
You're only alive because I like you
It's been three years since you've seen the sunlight
But I know you're having fun
Bound, gagged and chained up in my basement
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #97 (ISO) » Fri May 25, 2012 7:57 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

We just decided to pick up the Pound o' Dice from Amazon. It's 100 assorted dice (with one complete uniform set in a sealed envelope inside the package). I think between the assorted dice, we got at least 2-3 other complete sets, and 2-3 other mostly complete sets that look good. We got at least 10 dice of each type, though, which was good. Probably the best deal since I had three other people pitching in with me.

Our campaign last night was kind of a tutorial, but it was a blast. Basically, we started out in jail. The sherriff entered and talked to our party, explaining that we were arrested under suspicion of having something to do with the mysterious disappearances around town. Sheriff Wick said there was another disappearance while we were in jail, but he had no reason to let us ago unless we agreed to help him. Vielo, a renown spy/rogue who now sits on Lord Belshae's council, came to town to investigate. He had disappeared. After asking around the village, we set out to investigate the camp. Found his camp ransacked, but found tracks leading out of the cave up into the woods. We trekked through the woods and made it to Iron Bow Manor, which had been abandoned for 200 years. A few goblins and a couple gnolls sat around outside, almost as if a watchout group. Our resident dumbass, Sepultus (Pie) decided to attempt to talk to them since he speaks Goblin and has high diplomacy. Of course, they didn't react well, so I leapt in and began to fight. We mowed them down and found Vielo's amulet sitting outside, a sign he was almost certainly in the manor.

Then we entered the manor, our big dungeon for the night. We explored every room, fighting gnolls and kobolds and goblins, until we finally found Vielo caged up in a jail cell upstairs. We didn't trust him, but he was the only one who could pick the lock on the door to the basement. We open the basement door and our Cleric, Erde (Grimmjow) tried to blind whatever was in the next room by using a blinding light type spell. It failed, and only alerted the 10 kobolds, 2 gnolls, and 1 troglodyte captain to our presence. We were
fucked
, but fortunately, Vielo is some kind of badass who leapt into battle and nuked four goblins in one round. I one-hit-KO'd the troglodyte captain. One goblin made it to a giant horn thing in the center of the room and sounded it, calling for reinforcements. Vielo promised to hold them off if we went ahead, so we did.

We entered the final chamber and saw three people... the three children who had been taken. Lenora, the blacksmith's daughter, lay dead in the corner. Triss, the miner's daughter, lay chained to an altar. And with his back to us, Maxwell, the mayor's son, stands over her body. I try to reason with him, being the only one of our group that actually lives in the village. He seems to recognize me, but madness takes over. He draws his rapier and charges, we engage in battle. During the battle, I make one last attempt to try and reason with him. I intimidate, I appeal to his reason, I appeal to his emotion -- nothing works. Eventually we strike him down and free Triss. Triss is overcome and traumatized. She cannot speak. I carry Lenora's body back to the village and we explain everything to Sheriff Wick. Vielo has asked us to come to Lord Belshae's estate and home city to report our findings to him. Sepultus sees it as an opportunity to make money, Erde rambles on and on about Peloric duties, but I don't want to go. I want to stay here and help the village, which will need rebuilding and strengthening after such traumatic events. I resist, but eventually, I'm left with no choice. I join up with the other two and we leave town, heading across the desert to meet with Lord Belshae.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND end Chapter 1. Holy fucking shit, man, I'm telling you... I didn't think I'd get into it, but almost the entire denouement, the three of us didn't break character. The DM ended up kinda sitting there, happily surprised with how well we were playing it. I'm sure the copious amounts of liquor in my system helped with that, but...fucking a, I can't wait for next week. UT is actually joining our party at the next city, and our DM is writing up a secret lore packet specifically for UT's character.
green shirt thursdays
Kcdaspot
Kcdaspot
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Kcdaspot
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #98 (ISO) » Fri May 25, 2012 8:13 am

Post by Kcdaspot »

That whole things sounds like a whole lotta FUCK YEAH
Last edited by Kcdaspot on Fri May 25, 2012 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?
SpyreX
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
POWERFUL WIZARD

Post Post #99 (ISO) » Fri May 25, 2012 8:28 am

Post by SpyreX »

That sounds like you've got a solid DM and are headed to a lot of fun man. I'm glad!
Show

Proud member of BaM

Return to “The Arcade”