Dungeons and Dragons

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #100 (ISO) » Fri May 25, 2012 8:32 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

Yeah, he's awesome. For the record, this was the lore packet he sent out to give us a "brief" overview of the land's history. He also had a 1000 year timeline of important events in the continent. This is all completely from scratch in his mind, he's not using any premade campaign shit.
green shirt thursdays
SpyreX
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
POWERFUL WIZARD

Post Post #101 (ISO) » Fri May 25, 2012 8:36 am

Post by SpyreX »

I had a DM do that once too. Its definitely pretty engrossing.

I've always been more of a maps and general here be dragons and cities and really let the players feed it.
Show
I always lynch scum... sometimes they're just not mafia. :P

Town: (49-47-1)
Scum: (23-11)
Third Party: (2-0)
Proud member of BaM
UncertainKitten
UncertainKitten
Maid In Japan
UncertainKitten
Maid In Japan
Maid In Japan

Post Post #102 (ISO) » Fri May 25, 2012 8:55 am

Post by UncertainKitten »

Eh, I've DMed without "premade campaign shit" and with it. I don't think I could run a module (at least not without significant making less dumb), but I must admit having a very rich world to work off of makes my job *signfiicantly* easier. I mean, I actually *like* Pathfinder's Golarion a lot.

EDIT: Though I need to add that I respect and honestly envy people who make their own campaign worlds and do it well. It's a lot of work but it's really good when you make it happen.
"Never have I seen anybody glorify their own lynch."
-StrangerCoug

Internet Mafia
is probably never going to happen. You all probably knew that.
Tierce
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Cache Me If You Can

Post Post #103 (ISO) » Fri May 25, 2012 9:46 am

Post by Tierce »

Golarion is great. I really like how Paizo is developing the different sections.

In post 95, Bub Bidderskins wrote:Right now I'm looking to buy a set of dice. I found a bunch on Amazon. Any suggestions on what type/color to get from experience? Just looking at them, it seems like it would be a better idea to go for opaque dice as opposed to translucent. Translucent dice just seem hard to read.

If you're not used to dice other than your regular d6, yeah, translucent are not the best option. Go for opaque ones without fancy details--speckling and figures make them hard to read at a glance, even though they are a lot prettier. You just need a set that works, and as long as they are balanced dice, you'll be fine. Watch out for kinks in your d20s, some of them are pretty faulty. Careful work with sandpaper will even out rough edges or misshapen bits, but individual dice are cheap so sometimes it's not worth the trouble.

Don't go for 'crystal' dice--elongated dice that look like quartz crystals. They are, sadly, very poorly balanced. Neither of my crystal d20s is a good die. ;_;

...Why yes, I have a thing for dice.
UncertainKitten
UncertainKitten
Maid In Japan
UncertainKitten
Maid In Japan
Maid In Japan

Post Post #104 (ISO) » Fri May 25, 2012 9:51 am

I know! I had a romp through Varisia with a druid and loved it a lot. The campaign I'm running now actually is in Cheliax, focusing on Westcrown. Cheliax is a really interesting place in general, even if the concept is strange to me. Also Asmodeus is totally Abrahamic God with evil flavor :|.

But, yeah, I am super ok with using a well thought out "default" setting.

Dice are fun, but I play online a lot and end up using RNGs. It's curious, I tend to have a LOT better luck with a dicebot than actual dice, but I can't tell how much of this is confirmation bias because my recent IRL game was really low level compared to what I'm used to.
-StrangerCoug

Internet Mafia
Tierce
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Cache Me If You Can

Post Post #105 (ISO) » Fri May 25, 2012 9:59 am

Post by Tierce »

We have a campaign in Sandpoint. Brave party, which means they won't live to grow old. >.>

Have you read any of the novels, UK? The fleshing out of the setting and character concepts is nicely done, and so far I find them better than their Dragonlance/Forgotten Realms counterparts.
OhGodMyLife
OhGodMyLife
Silent But Deadly
OhGodMyLife
Silent But Deadly
Silent But Deadly

Post Post #106 (ISO) » Fri May 25, 2012 10:02 am

Post by OhGodMyLife »

Golarion is excellent. I'm a big fan.
UncertainKitten
UncertainKitten
Maid In Japan
UncertainKitten
Maid In Japan
Maid In Japan

Post Post #107 (ISO) » Fri May 25, 2012 10:09 am

@Tierce: I haven't yet. I did read some of the short stories and like them though. I do want to get some of the novels though, if you have any recommendations. Ah, Sandpoint...the IRL campaign I was in was the Rise of the Runelords module, though I had to exit as of this week because I'm moving rather far away. I do kinda wanna know what happens next but I'll have to wait until my RP schedule clears up a bit, I think, and I can grab a DM for it. The campaign I got to completion went through Varisia but actually didn't touch Sandpoint, and was my first Pathfinder game. It was really neat finding things out as the character did about Lamashtu, Desna, Varisia and other things.
-StrangerCoug

Internet Mafia
OhGodMyLife
OhGodMyLife
Silent But Deadly
OhGodMyLife
Silent But Deadly
Silent But Deadly

Post Post #108 (ISO) » Fri May 25, 2012 10:16 am

Post by OhGodMyLife »

Finally playing some Pathfinder tonight for the first time in a couple of months, I'm stoked. We're doing the Legacy of Fire adventure path, and I've been pleasantly surprised by the quality of the pre-fab adventures.
UncertainKitten
UncertainKitten
Maid In Japan
UncertainKitten
Maid In Japan
Maid In Japan

Post Post #109 (ISO) » Fri May 25, 2012 10:20 am

I've actually been looking a lot at Council of Thieves. After the campaign I'm running now I intend to run it over Teamspeak for some of my friends. It is definitely fairly quality, though a bit harsh at portions.
-StrangerCoug

Internet Mafia
Iecerint
Iecerint
Survivor
Iecerint
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #110 (ISO) » Fri May 25, 2012 10:57 am

Post by Iecerint »

UNCERTAINKITTEN HI.

I THOUGHT YOU WERE GONE.
UncertainKitten
UncertainKitten
Maid In Japan
UncertainKitten
Maid In Japan
Maid In Japan

Post Post #111 (ISO) » Fri May 25, 2012 10:58 am

I am. This thread is about the only one worth posting in on MS :|. I don't really play mafia anymore though, has the meta stopped being shitheads yelling really loudly yet ^-^;?

ALSO HI IECERINT!
-StrangerCoug

Internet Mafia
Viktyr Korimir
Viktyr Korimir
Townie
Viktyr Korimir
Townie
Townie

Post Post #112 (ISO) » Fri May 25, 2012 1:19 pm

Post by Viktyr Korimir »

In post 94, SpyreX wrote:I guess I'm not as familiar with Essentials because I really got a 3.x vibe from it. You know enough to detail it out a bit better than I can?

Well, the reason I said Essentials rather than standard 4E is because of the inclusion of Background and Theme. (Which also makes me think of Rolemaster.) It's clear that your Theme is an important part of your character concept and that it continues adding benefits over the course of your career. Also, the fact that you get class powers and theme powers without the AEDU power structure is what led me to think more of Essentials.

I'd also say that it is greatly simplified over 3.X, with the lack of class-based attack bonuses and the inclusion of training bonuses for weapons and magical attacks.

In post 94, SpyreX wrote:Looks like we're back to wonkus power curves. The fighter being a single page is back to the boring melee without the "benefit" of full attacks.

Playtest only goes up to 3rd level. Fighters didn't normally get multiple attacks until 6th level, whether we're talking about AD&D or 3.X. What we know for certain is that Fighters get damage scaling for weapon attacks and that spellcasters are seriously inconvenienced by taking damage-- not to the extent of AD&D, but certainly more so than in 3.X.
SpyreX
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
POWERFUL WIZARD

Post Post #113 (ISO) » Fri May 25, 2012 4:52 pm

Post by SpyreX »

I'd also say that it is greatly simplified over 3.X, with the lack of class-based attack bonuses and the inclusion of training bonuses for weapons and magical attacks.

Definitely. It was more the vibe of feats with the disparity between what it looks like they can "do" as it goes on.

Playtest only goes up to 3rd level. Fighters didn't normally get multiple attacks until 6th level, whether we're talking about AD&D or 3.X. What we know for certain is that Fighters get damage scaling for weapon attacks and that spellcasters are seriously inconvenienced by taking damage-- not to the extent of AD&D, but certainly more so than in 3.X.

I guess there is a line that says "high level fighters can attack and do something else". The inclusion of the fighter extra attack twice per day made me think we wont see an active full attack onslaught.
Show
I always lynch scum... sometimes they're just not mafia. :P

Town: (49-47-1)
Scum: (23-11)
Third Party: (2-0)
Proud member of BaM
IH
IH
Always Scum
IH
Always Scum
Always Scum

Post Post #114 (ISO) » Fri May 25, 2012 6:12 pm

Post by IH »

I like dnd.

I went to a talk at PAX and heard some professional dms from WotC talking, and one was talking about playing 2nd edition, and made a trap designed to flat out kill players. See in 2nd edition, illusion spells couldn't make sounds, so he made a boulder in a very surprising place roll down a hill. One of the players got suspicious and made a listen check. He also had a silent spell on the boulder.

He said 4 of his players died straight out while the 5th was mortally wounded.
Untrod Tripod (7:27:18 PM): you enjoy whoring
xcaykex (7:27:24 PM): yes
xcaykex (7:27:26 PM): i know that
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #115 (ISO) » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:24 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

So, I don't know how serious you guys are/if you would use something like this (I don't even really play so I don't know how useful something like this would even be) but a friend sent me this and I figured this would be a good place to pass it along.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ink ... g-software
tout comprendre c'est tout pardonner
Kcdaspot
Kcdaspot
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Kcdaspot
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #116 (ISO) » Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:08 pm

Post by Kcdaspot »

Hey reck how is the adventire goin?
A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #117 (ISO) » Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:18 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

We've only had two chapters so far, but it's a fucking blast. My character gets to be completely selfish in the context of the story... and Grimm/Pie's characters HATE HIM, but I'm also really fucking OP so if they shittalk me I just bash them with my 2h broadsword and laugh.
green shirt thursdays
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #118 (ISO) » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:09 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

In post 117, xRECKONERx wrote:We've only had two chapters so far, but it's a fucking blast. My character gets to be completely selfish in the context of the story... and Grimm/Pie's characters HATE HIM, but I'm also really fucking
OP
so if they shittalk me I just bash them with my
2h broadsword
and laugh.

:?
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #119 (ISO) » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:41 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

at low levels, yeah, it is kinda powerful (i got retarded rolls for my stats)
green shirt thursdays
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #120 (ISO) » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:44 pm

Post by BBmolla »

I'm currently DMing the best party I've ever DM'd, they're super into it and it's great, they've all got backstories and everything.

Considering moving over to Pathfinder, still need to read through the core rulebook. My party shudders when anyone mentions grappling.
@thesupertriomusical on Instagram, come see it if you’re in LA area, I wrote it!
bv310
bv310
Mafia Scum
bv310
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #121 (ISO) » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:49 am

Post by bv310 »

So Roll20 is in Open Beta. Anyone tried it out?
AniX
AniX
None
UCalled
AniX
None
UCalled
UCalled
Pronoun: None

Post Post #122 (ISO) » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:15 pm

Post by AniX »

In post 121, bv310 wrote:So Roll20 is in Open Beta. Anyone tried it out?

Me and my group have been tooling around with it. It has its flaws (mostly with mapping), but I've seen worse.
Official Gimmick List:
INVENTOR OF UPICK!
LORD OF THE 11TH HOUR!
ASEXUAL!
KING SCAR APOLOGIST!
DREAMER OF THE NE0N DREAM (SUPP 2021 LAST PLACE WINNER)!

I have donned the
RED CROWN
OhGodMyLife
OhGodMyLife
Silent But Deadly
OhGodMyLife
Silent But Deadly
Silent But Deadly

Post Post #123 (ISO) » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:37 am

Post by OhGodMyLife »

Roll20 seems like a great tool, and will only improve as it gets playtested and bugs fixed throughout the beta. We should set up a time to play with it ourselves.
bv310
bv310
Mafia Scum
bv310
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #124 (ISO) » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:22 am

Post by bv310 »

I'd love to try a game of DnD or such some time. I think a buddy of mine's running a zombie-themed one come September, but I have no idea how that'll work out.

Return to “The Arcade”