Mod informing replacement of predecessors role claims?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
nhammen
nhammen
Mafia Scum
nhammen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Mod informing replacement of predecessors role claims?

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:58 pm

Post by nhammen »

Specifically, would a rule stating "A player that has been replaced will be informed of any role claims that their predecessor made" be a good idea? The idea is to prevent tricks about scum (or other player) role claims.

From one point of view, replacements are external to the game. The slot stays the same, but sometimes replacements are necessary for external reasons. Tricking a replacement that hasn't fully read the game abuses the fact that the player has changed.
From another point of view, replacements are part of the game and tricks like this are among town's arsenal.
I can image one problem is how to decipher what is a role claim and what isn't, but in practice, any thing that could conceivably trick up any player would not be in any gray area.
Tierce
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Cache Me If You Can

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:03 pm

Post by Tierce »

No.

Replacing into a slot means you have to be ready for anything that can be lobbed at you, from town and scum, bullshit or not. A mod won't inform you of breadcrumbs, softclaims or the like, so where is the line drawn?
Answer: the line is drawn at the communication between your slot and the mod. That is, night actions and similar effects.

Replacements are a part of the game. Tricking them IS part of the game, and a scum replacement knows this. This is not a responsibility that should EVER be put on a mod, and I would look twice before joining a game run by a mod I'd know to do this, since this is a breach of the integrity of the game.
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:04 pm

Post by Faraday »

Well, if you replace in and get a scum role PM you should always check your predecessor's ISO before posting in the thread. It solves things like that.
are you thinking of me when you're with somebody else?
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:16 pm

Post by Mr. Flay »

In post 2, Faraday wrote:Well, if you replace in
and get a scum role PM
you should always check your predecessor's ISO before posting in the thread. It solves things like that.

FTFY
Retired as of October 2014.
Timeater
Timeater
Mafia Scum
Timeater
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:30 pm

Post by Timeater »

I disagree, if you're town you should come in 100% fresh as you'll always look more genuine and wont be biased in any way, which will contribute to being read as town which is pro town. :]
watch for the eggshells
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:46 pm

Post by Faraday »

I would never read my predecessor's ISO as town? I wouldn't read it much as scum beyond checking for a claim, either.

I don't see why I should care, really.
TheButtonmen
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
Buns of Steel

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:47 pm

Post by TheButtonmen »

My biggest issue here to be honest is that this would require me to have to read all the posts in depth rather then just scrolling through looking for the word Vote in bold.
Routine day with a dirt cheap brush
Then a week goes by and it goes untouched
Then two, then three, then a month
Then the rest of your life, you beat yourself up
Zorblag
Zorblag
Troll
Zorblag
Troll
Troll

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:37 pm

Post by Zorblag »

It no be part of the mod's job to keep track of the claims. As such it no can be part of their job to inform replacements of claims. Current vote, maybe (though that would be silly and Troll would assume that the replacement be able to look at a vote count and beyond to get that) but certainly not claims.

-Zorblag R`Lyeh
Oversoul
Oversoul
Survivor
Oversoul
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:47 pm

Post by Oversoul »

In post 3, Mr. Flay wrote:
In post 2, Faraday wrote:Well, if you replace in
and get a scum role PM
you should always check your predecessor's ISO before posting in the thread. It solves things like that.

FTFY

Nope.

Should never read predecessors ISO except for claims. Otherwise making an excuse for something that you have no control over.
Om of the Nom
Om of the Nom
Jack of All Trades
Om of the Nom
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:58 pm

Post by Om of the Nom »

Tbh, I think games are more fun when you replace in, say D3, and you haven't read any of the game before that point in time.
“Leftover lady, let alone the strongest to be subdued.
If I only had the magic key that would unlock the realms to the plateau of the highest me.
Even though I’ve been badly bruised, living in a house to become a popular muse.”

hey beautiful ! how was your day ?
syndromeofatown
syndromeofatown
Goon
syndromeofatown
Goon
Goon

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:26 pm

Post by syndromeofatown »

What if you replace in as scum in a theme game, but one of your scum-buddies used your assigned fake claim but you didn't know this because they made no mention of it in the quicktopic before you replaced in?

Should the mod still give you your assigned fake claim in the role PM or give you a different one?
Tierce
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Cache Me If You Can

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:29 pm

Post by Tierce »

See above: that has no bearing in the communication you have between you, the player, and the mod. The player should look it up, the mod should give the original info.

(What, you don't check to see if your fakeclaim goes against someone's own claim? The search feature is your friend.)
Nexus
Nexus
He
miss
Nexus
He
miss
miss
Pronoun: He

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:22 pm

Post by Nexus »

The only thing I tell people when replacing in is their predecessor's Night Actions, if any - particularly results and suchlike, but other than that, you're on your own.

Oh, if I take the time to craft a fakeclaim Role PM I tend to pass it on as well.
Trans rights are human rights.
Korts
Korts
Luddite
Korts
Luddite
Luddite

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:28 pm

Post by Korts »

In post 5, Faraday wrote:I would never read my predecessor's ISO as town? I wouldn't read it much as scum beyond checking for a claim, either.

Gambits are not restricted to a certain alignment. Regardless of win condition, if you're not aware of your slot's actions, you carry the risk of drawing votes on yourself simply by acting in a contradictory fashion. Replacements don't often mean a truly clean slate.
scumchat never die
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:07 am

Post by callforjudgement »

I don't read my predecessor's ISO as VT. (And claim not to have done even as scum.) Mostly because there's quite enough to catch up on anyway.

It is, of course, a bad idea not to do so if you're a power role of any sort. And doubly so as scum. (As a note, when replacing into games as scum, you shouldn't post anywhere onsite until you're caught up; this behaviour is mostly indistinguishable from town catching up, and prevents you being caught out if your predecessor roleclaimed.)

I know that in at least one game, the mod pointed me to a roleclaim that the (scum) slot had previously made; it was useful, because it made catching up somewhat easier. I still had to reread everything, though. And it seems like a reasonable thing for the mod to do to me; replacements disrupt the game enough as it is, and it's less disruption to give the new player in the slot all the information the old player in the slot had. (It's generally unlikely for even VIs to forget their own roleclaims, especially if they're fake.)

Btw, I consider assigned scum fakeclaims to be a factional ability, more than anything else; there's no real way to prevent scum trading them, and no real incentive for the mod to do so. (And spent factional abilities should definitely be something newly replacing-in scum are made aware of, whether it's via the mod or (in games with daytalk) via their scumbuddies.)
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:06 am

Post by Faraday »

In post 13, Korts wrote:
In post 5, Faraday wrote:I would never read my predecessor's ISO as town? I wouldn't read it much as scum beyond checking for a claim, either.

Gambits are not restricted to a certain alignment. Regardless of win condition, if you're not aware of your slot's actions, you carry the risk of drawing votes on yourself simply by acting in a contradictory fashion. Replacements don't often mean a truly clean slate.

Cool, so I get to say 'I'd obviously have known that if I was scum'. Sounds useful.
MagnaofIllusion
MagnaofIllusion
has been killed Night 1
MagnaofIllusion
has been killed Night 1
has been killed Night 1

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:46 am

Post by MagnaofIllusion »

My two cents - which I think echo what has already been said:

Mods should only confirm things that they are directly involved with - Role PM clarification, lists of any previous Night actions taken by the slot, etc.

Anything posted in thread specifically for game-play purposes should be off limits and a Mod pointing to them constitutes intervention in the game.
"I am a leaf on the wind ... watch how I soar!"

Pretty much Geriatric game restricted at this point ... unless there are players I REALLY want to play with.
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:51 am

Post by Zachrulez »

Always read your predecessor's posts. Always. You should be aware of any claims made, and the mod is in no position to reveal this information to you.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:15 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

Wow, I am disturbed/disappointed by the number of people who claim not to read their predecessor's posts as town. :shock:

If for nothing else, you are reading analysis/posts by someone in the game WHOSE ALIGNMENT YOU KNOW FOR CERTAIN. It's like a free flip, just for you!
Retired as of October 2014.
Timeater
Timeater
Mafia Scum
Timeater
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:25 am

Post by Timeater »

I never said I wouldn't read or skim what my replacement did after I've made a few posts :o
watch for the eggshells
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:38 am

Post by Faraday »

In post 18, Mr. Flay wrote:Wow, I am disturbed/disappointed by the number of people who claim not to read their predecessor's posts as town. :shock:

If for nothing else, you are reading analysis/posts by someone in the game WHOSE ALIGNMENT YOU KNOW FOR CERTAIN. It's like a free flip, just for you!

You can read their posts when you're reading the thread, though. And confirmed town =/= confirmed right, or even confirmed useful.
nhammen
nhammen
Mafia Scum
nhammen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:54 am

Post by nhammen »

I'm kinda surprised at the amount of people that don't like this idea. Only one person has said they think it is a good idea. I expected a more even split than that. (Although I did expect the majority to be against) Honestly, I would think anything that makes it easier for a replacement to get into the game smoothly and quickly would be pretty good.

What do people feel about the first post? Many mods put a list of links to important events (lynch scenes, daykills, night scenes, sometimes all votecounts) in the first post. Would adding all players' role claims to this list be acceptable?

In post 6, TheButtonmen wrote:My biggest issue here to be honest is that this would require me to have to read all the posts in depth rather then just scrolling through looking for the word Vote in bold.

Eh. I already read the game I am modding enough to see claims anyways, so it doesn't require much additional effort.
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:56 am

Post by Faraday »

In post 21, nhammen wrote:What do people feel about the first post? Many mods put a list of links to important events (lynch scenes, daykills, night scenes, sometimes all votecounts) in the first post. Would adding all players' role claims to this list be acceptable?

It just feels wrong to me? Too much 'what counts as a claim' or not?
Hoopla
Hoopla
Hoopla

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:26 am

Post by Hoopla »

In post 20, Faraday wrote:You can read their posts when you're reading the thread, though. And confirmed town =/= confirmed right, or even confirmed useful.

it's still a collection of opinions that you know are sincere though - it's almost like being in a really weird hydra where each of you decide to play half a game each. you should listen to your predecessor a little bit.
Tierce
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Cache Me If You Can

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:34 am

Post by Tierce »

In post 21, nhammen wrote:What do people feel about the first post? Many mods put a list of links to important events (lynch scenes, daykills, night scenes, sometimes all votecounts) in the first post. Would adding all players' role claims to this list be acceptable?
No.

Again, where do you draw the line? Breadcrumbs? Softclaims? Hardclaims? Failed gambits?

I don't see how your reasoning makes any sense. Lynch scenes, daykills, night scenes, votecounts, they all require intervention from the mod and can openly be linked to, because the mod made those posts and they are (supposedly) impartial and have Important Game Information That Affects Everyone. Those posts are milestones in a game, bookends. A player claiming to be this or that role has nothing to do with the mod.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”