DnD Campaign

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
inte
inte
Mafia Scum
inte
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:21 am

Post by inte »

are you going to host a mini learning seminar or wat

cuz other than knowing what a d20 is, i'm pretty lost when it comes to d&d
Show
W(eed)/L: 420/2

T:2/2/0
S:1/0/0
N:0/0/0

When dreamen gad-adto-ello-lahwer time-antime ageeee-ayeeeeah-ye-e-ah-nn.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:06 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

/in, I think
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:21 pm

Post by GreyICE »

Okay, here's the rules for anyone interested: http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/quickstartrules.pdf

I'm going to run two sessions of an introductory encounter involving Zombies this Sunday, for two reasons

1) Get people who have no idea used to DnD
2) Get me used to Roll20

So basically, it's going to be like any other 'not quite primetime' session.

I'm going to post character sheets in a little while, probably edited into this post. I figure run the first at 1, and the second at 3.
Show
That which is done out of love always takes place beyond good and evil

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:25 pm

Post by BBmolla »

/in, if still spots.

I want to try 4th. Sundays should work fine for me.

What time?
@thesupertriomusical on Instagram, come see it if you’re in LA area, I wrote it!
Nexus
Nexus
He
miss
Nexus
He
miss
miss
Pronoun: He

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:26 pm

Post by Nexus »

I would suggest maybe having a nice split between newbies and experienced people in the two groups - that way you have the experienced people to help handle questions whilst you can get on with some parts of DMing.

Also please no skill challenges ever. They were the worst.
Trans rights are human rights.
inte
inte
Mafia Scum
inte
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:43 pm

Post by inte »

quick reading on skill challenges looks like it adds another layer to roleplaying

whats wrong with that bud?
Show

hitogoroshi
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:10 pm

Post by hitogoroshi »

That sort of thing is much, MUCH better handled by DM doing it on the fly. The thing might coincidentally LOOK like a skill challenge, but formalizing it isn't nearly as good as just simply doing.

For example, I had a skald trying to con some townspeople out of money (and attempting to get another to join my defacto mercenary group I'm setting up; this was the intro adventure.) For the first step of my plan, I draw some evil looking arcane runes in chalk when no one is looking. DM has me roll an Arcana check to determine how legit they are; I roll high. Then, I cry out to the townspeople, "The mark of Kraa the Elder! His Plague will descend upon us all! The only chance to save yourself is a Ruby of Life!" And I pull out some crap rubies I had in my pocket. This is a bluff check. I get a bonus because my Arcana check was good, and I throw down a utlity power to really do it because this is the big one. I end up with something like 35, a damn good number for fifth level and something that no townspersons insight can pass.

But then an expert on Kraa the Elder comes out of the crowd and says, I never heard of no Ruby strong enough to stop the Plague of Kraa, I think you're a con man. I roll a religion check, skriff it, and the crowd starts to turn. So I have to pull out my trump. I say, "Do you not believe it is the mark? Then wash it away!" So the skeptic tries, but I wrote that with Voran's Eternal Chalk, and it's gonna persist for a week if anyone but me tries to erase it. So he fails, I do this big spiel about the doom descending upon us, bluff check. I get a MASSIVE bonus to the bluff because of the ruse I set up. Then, I hold up the ruby, chant some magic words (Arcana check to make sure they're plausible) and erase the symbol. I end up selling all the rubies for about 250% of what I paid, give half of the money to the razorclaw shifter who's been watching, and say, "Join up with me and this is the beginning."

That's what skill challenges actually should be.

(Also, it is for reasons like the above that I firmly believe Prestidigitation is the most powerful spell in Dungeons and Dragons when combined with a good CHA. It's my favorite archetype to roleplay, even if I prefer defender types in combat.)
"Don’t buy a dozen eggs if you just want a hardboiled egg. Don’t buy a head of lettuce if you just want a salad. Don’t buy eggs and lettuce if you want egg salad because those are not the right ingredients." -Julius Bloop
Robocopter87
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:21 pm

Post by Robocopter87 »

/in if there is room

I'm pretty much new but I'm definitely willing to put in the time because I love DnD.

EDIT: So new that I would like to be treated as if I was completely new.
Although the border between madness and genius is very narrow.

"I am so totally obsessed with you. You caught me." - Tracy
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:16 pm

Post by GreyICE »

I may indeed use Skill Challenges of sorts, but they probably won't look like what you're used to.

I'd submit that I welcome and enjoy input. If after a gaming session, you want to say "Grey, that was the shittiest piece of shit that any DM ever made a party suffer through. Like, literally, that was the North Korea of roleplaying games," I welcome and accept your feedback, and I will change my style based on what people are enjoying. Fuck, if something is interminable and you want to just say "this is really fucking interminable, can we FastForward or something" then, okay, that's fine. But jostling my elbow when you haven't seen what I do is... uh... not good.

I would appreciate people coming into this with a mature viewpoint and an open mind.
Show

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones
Nexus
Nexus
He
miss
Nexus
He
miss
miss

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:25 pm

Post by Nexus »

To be fair I was talking about my experiences of skill challenges, which was essentially "hey roll this dice. Now roll this. No, you can't roleplay. Roll the goddamn dice motherfuckers"
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:41 pm

Post by GreyICE »

Oh, yeah. That's terrible. An example skill challenge I might run would be figuring out how to navigate through a dense jungle to reach a temple inside the jungle. The PCs would need to plan how to navigate through the jungle without getting lost and successfully execute that plan (nature). While they were in the jungle, the party would need to pass endurance or heal checks (at least 2/5 members) to keep from becoming fatigued from the heat and effort (jungles aren't easy to slog through!). Inside the jungle there might be ravines, deadfalls, rivers, and other hazards that might need to be navigated (acrobatics and athletics from half the party, assuming they brought ropes to pull the other half across). Perception to get the drop on any dangers that might be lurking in the jungle. And any equipment the PCs brought might give them various bonuses on any or all of these rolls.

Basically it adds structure and challenge to the concept "We slog through the jungle for a while to reach the temple," as well as variation in outcome. Perhaps the party arrives fatigued and drained, ready to go home before they even begin. Or perhaps the party arrives fresh and ready to face the challenges inside the temple. And it depends on the preparation and planning of the party (as well as, yes, dice. But this is DnD. You cannot escape them~). And I wouldn't necessarily tell you you were in a skill challenge - I'd just tell you what you need to do to safely make it through the jungle.
Show

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:46 pm

Post by GreyICE »

DP
Last edited by GreyICE on Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Show

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:46 pm

Post by GreyICE »

Anyway, without further ado, I present my introductory scenario that has nothing to do with the campaign:

A Quiet Night

It's a quiet night at a roadside inn, The Second Unicorn, and a group of motley characters are enjoying a drink. A local mine is preparing its monthly shipment of marble and precious metals, and as a result, traders will be flocking to the town soon. And with trade comes bandits, and with bandits a need for caravan guards. Thus, several world-wise sorts are hanging out, establishing a presence prior to the demand. Others are there for
less savory
reasons. At the moment, however, no one is feeling particularly ornery. Meals are eaten, drinks are had, and a general relaxed atmosphere exists.

Which brings us to the present moment. What, you didn't think peace would last, did you?

There are five characters available for this little session.

Harbek has always been a bit of a loner - a fact that makes his current situation (looking for work as a caravan guard) deeply ironic. Trained to be part of the dwarven army, Harbek realized early that a soldier's life was not for him. Regimented, following orders, strict schedules, these are not the things Harbek excels at. He would skip marching drills to contemplate striations in the rock, or simply to enjoy a warm breeze flowing down from the outside world. Eventually this lack of discipline managed to overshadow the fact that he was one of the best warriors in the army. "A soldier alone is a soldier dead!" His drill sargeant would scream that into his face daily, usually after another escapade.

Harbek's career in the dwarven military began to form a predictable path. He would be sent on the most dangerous of missions. When he had not only survived, but performed above and beyond the call of duty, he would be promoted to corporal. Eventually his nature would kick in, or he would do something impossible to overlook, and he would be busted down to private. And then another mission gone wrong, another set of heroic deeds, and he was a corporal again.

After the third time he was busted back to Private, Harbek decided he had enough. Taking only his armor, his trusty axe, and his Stone Heart Medal for Exemplary Bravery in the face of Overwhelming Force (a medal he keeps proudly pinned on his right breast to this day) he departed, to see if there was somewhere he fit in better. So far he hasn't found it.

Mechanics

Harbek is a defender who utilizes Combat Challenge and positioning to protect companions from danger. No slouch with weapons, Harbek has been known to separate troll's limbs from their body with a single swing of that powerful waraxe.

Dragons are not the evil monsters that many dragonspawn make them out to be. They are the noble leaders and exemplars of justice, who judge those beneath them and find them wanting. Bahamut, the Dragon God, watches down from the High Heavens, seeing and judging. His justice is swift and without mercy, carried on silvery wings bringing clouds of fire to those beneath. They must pay.

Abraxus is in the inn because he has heard that the mining has disturbed something that should have remained buried. Abraxus is here to assess the situation, and determine whether the situation should be dealt with - and how. If need be, he intends to shut down the mine (something the mine owners would never agree to, but the priesthood of Bahamut has their ways).

Abraxus is pious and devout. He remains aloof, rarely indulging in drinks. Even when sitting in the corner, his presence looms over others, and those drinking and carousing can feel the weight of his disapproval, and the palpable menace that disapproval carries. The Innkeeper is convinced that Abraxus is the reason his common room is so empty even when the Inn is full, but he's terrified of saying anything.

Mechanics

Abraxus is a battle cleric, a holy warrior who aids others from the thick of battle.

Leshana is, even for a creature of the feywild, flighty and unpredictable. Moving through life with a gentle, tinkling laugh and a warm smile, she appears to have not a care in the world. This demeanor belies the powerful magics she is capable of, and of the many who underestimated her, few still draw breath.

What she is doing in The Second Unicorn is anybody's guess. Possibly including her own.

Mechanics

Leshana is an elemental wizard, focusing on lightning, thunder, and fire attacks. Most of her attacks hit a large area. She also has the ability to summon and control a ball of pure fire, and move it around the battlefield.

Logan is posing as a disowned noble son, fallen on hard times and seeking work as a caravan guard. In actuality he is a spy for a group of bandits, sent to assess the strengths and weaknesses of the various caravans, and formulate a course of attack. The Bandit's plan is for Logan to dump a strong hallucinogen into the cooking stock, and then rob the caravan while everyone is incapacitated, with zero deaths and zero witnesses.

Logan plays the part of the drunken lout well, although he always stop just short of drawing that rapier on his waist. No dueling blade, examination of the carefully honed edge and the multitude of nicks that have been ground down to be
almost
unnoticeable would reveal that Logan is far more than some court dandy who incurred daddy's disfavor. His blade has seen some serious action - and so has he.

Mechanics

Logan is a combat advantage rogue. Most of his abilities revolve around either increasing his life expectancy in combat, or allowing him to utilize another creature's distraction to devastating effect. He utilizes bluffs and feints to distract creatures, opening them up for attacks even more painful than his average thrust.

Heian is a wood elf with a mission. He is posing as someone seeking work as a caravan guard, but secretly he seeks revenge. The mining operation has despoiled miles of forest, destroying rivers and trees, and desecrating the land. Heian's people brought their concerns to the owner and overseers, but they laughed and shrugged them off. Heian is here to ensure that they do not get a second chance. The new owners may be more amiable to the Wood Elves' demands.

Mechanics

Heian is a bow ranger. Mostly he focuses on firing arrows, and... well, frankly very little else.

Complexity
(Most to least)
1) Logan
2) Harbek
3) Abraxus
4) Leshana
5) Heian

If you'd like to participate in this this Sunday, please send me a PM, reply in thread, before the date so I can set things up. Give me your top 3 choices of who you want to play (I can't promise you'll get one, but it's pretty likely). I'd prefer that everyone who wants to play takes part in this, although exceptions may be made essentially on a case-by-case.

Purpose and reasoning is:

1) Make sure I know how to use the Roll20 table before the real campaign.
2) Make sure everyone else knows how to use the Roll20 table
3) Introduce people to D&D 4E, and give people a refresher if they haven't played much/recently
4) Have fun, relax, kill zombies!
Show

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones
inte
inte
Mafia Scum
inte
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:29 am

Post by inte »

id play anything but logan
Show

Bitmap
Bitmap
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Bitmap
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:33 am

Post by Bitmap »

I'd say that pathfinder is far better. But 4th edition is a good edition to get used to the game.
"I give up on trying to read you. You're unimaginably scummy, with a dose of ultra-Town thrown in for spice."
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:05 am

Post by GreyICE »

Please do not bring edition wars into my thread. If you want to start your own stupid edition war, go elsewhere. There is literally no reason to post that here, bitmap.
Show

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones
AniX
AniX
None
UCalled
AniX
None
UCalled
UCalled
Pronoun: None

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:37 am

Post by AniX »

He might be a Paladin of a Pathfinder God who is duty-bound to defend it wherever he sees heretics.
Official Gimmick List:
INVENTOR OF UPICK!
LORD OF THE 11TH HOUR!
ASEXUAL!
KING SCAR APOLOGIST!
DREAMER OF THE NE0N DREAM (SUPP 2021 LAST PLACE WINNER)!

I have donned the
RED CROWN
inte
inte
Mafia Scum
inte
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:41 am

Post by inte »

Only thing I don't like is that the worst fist is mentioned but there is no option to be a gentlemen who battles in fisticuffs
Show

Bitmap
Bitmap
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Bitmap
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:15 am

Post by Bitmap »

In post 41, AniX wrote:He might be a Paladin of a Pathfinder God who is duty-bound to defend it wherever he sees heretics.

Nah, I'm just a Barb Mino.
"I give up on trying to read you. You're unimaginably scummy, with a dose of ultra-Town thrown in for spice."
Nexus
Nexus
He
miss
Nexus
He
miss
miss

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:28 am

Post by Nexus »

bump

Have people sent in their choices yet?
Xalxe
Xalxe
He/him
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
Xalxe
He/him
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:41 am

Post by Xalxe »

...oops. Sorry but I can't make this Sunday. Totally derped.
"I, too, would prefer to know the Xalxe of my demise." - Felissan, 2022
- On this day in history: mundanity, and terror, and food, and love, and trees -
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:47 am

Post by GreyICE »

In post 44, Nexus wrote:bump

Have people sent in their choices yet?

Quite a few, I'm going to put things together in a bit once I'm sure I have everyone make it (It shouldn't be hard). Right now I'd say most people are going to get their first choice, maaayybbee their second choice.
Show

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones
Nexus
Nexus
He
miss
Nexus
He
miss
miss

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:01 am

Post by Nexus »

Will send mine in a minute. Turns out the shop is closing at 4pm on a Sunday from now on, so I will be able to make most if not all
Kcdaspot
Kcdaspot
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Kcdaspot
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:44 am

Post by Kcdaspot »

HALFWAY THROUGH THE TRIAL AND MY LUCK SUCKS
A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?
Nexus
Nexus
He
miss
Nexus
He
miss
miss

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:44 am

Post by Nexus »

My luck is the best.