Micro 70 ~ Mafia in Triplicate (Game Over!)

Micro Games (9 players or fewer). Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Empire
Empire
Mafia Scum
Empire
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #425 (ISO) » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:16 am

Post by Empire »

God, I hate being mafia ;-;

I actually had this whole case planned out just before the "real" game started against Konowa but I was pretty much boned when I realized that our cell was going last. I really wish I hadn't gone V/LA during this game but I doubt that would have changed anything. The last few moments of this were my stalling out while trying to figure out if there was a way to save Director but I felt like there wasn't.

Town played really really well. I really did believe F-16 and Tierce were both obvious town by page 2 of the game and I think saulres towntold under pressure. Hope to see you guys in another game!

The mechanic is really cool and interesting. Would love to see this again sometime soon.

Anyway, thanks for letting me join the game Vi! Great modding and I look forward to joining your games in the future (well, if you let me anyway).
Shamrock
Shamrock
Mafia Scum
Shamrock
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #426 (ISO) » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:58 am

Post by Shamrock »

Yeah. I really like the concept of this game, but I think one problem with the way the mechanic was used in this game was that we all decided on a NS lynch, and then when it went into Rarefaction... well, we didn't want NS to be lynched any less than we already did, so that was one of the cells basically solved in advance.

However, are you accepting /pre-ins for the open version of this? >_>
Two chainz, four bracelets. Let me see that ass clap, standing ovation.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Mafia Scum
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #427 (ISO) » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:15 am

Post by F-16_Fighting_Falcon »

I had a lot of fun this game. I agree that the idea was incredibly awesome but so was execution. When I think of bastard games, I think of bad stuff, I played a few bastard games off-site where there was intervetion from the mod, etc and didn't like it. This game however, when I read that that first Day had been a "warm-up," my immediate thought was "awesome, I want run something like this at some point." Then, I read both of Vi's modding guides word for word for more ideas.

I don't the setup was inherently town-sided, but rather the playerlist made it so. Town were active, contributing to the game and scumhunting. NS lurked a lot and Xalxe had to be replaced; the director wasn't really active either. This pretty much just left Empire. I am sure it would have been different if the three strongest players had been scum. For instance, if scum were Tierce, Saulres, and Empire, it would have been a different story. So, yeah, I'd say the reason for a town win was primarily the town players especially Tierce who was pretty much leading the town and calling the shots and Saulres who got active at a very critical moment, convinced everyone he was town, and then the pressure on NS to get a pseudo-lynch? on him. I think Shmugen and Shamrock did a great job figuring out NS as scum in their cell. Konowa did well with his town-telling as well. It was fairly obvious that if we had chosen wrong, Empire would have been lynched in the last cell.

If you are running the game again as an open, the only problem you'd have was the "warm-up" impact of the game would be gone which was a great turn-on for me when I read that. The remaining things you mentioned (vote counts) were really minor; don't consider the game a failure just because of that. Also, if this is a "failure" for you, I can only imagine what a "success" would be like. :D

I enjoyed playing with a lot of you guys. This was fun.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Mafia Scum
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #428 (ISO) » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:20 am

In post 426, Shamrock wrote:Yeah. I really like the concept of this game, but I think one problem with the way the mechanic was used in this game was that we all decided on a NS lynch, and then when it went into Rarefaction... well, we didn't want NS to be lynched any less than we already did, so that was one of the cells basically solved in advance.

This is true though - perhaps it would work if all 3 scum would need to be lynched as opposed to just two out of 3? Or maybe that is too much to ask. It depends on the playerlist. But then again, if a townie had been lynched Day 1, then their cell would have lynched them again, so I don't know.

I am interested too if you'll have me.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Mafia Scum
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #429 (ISO) » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:20 am

EBWOP

In post 426, Shamrock wrote:Yeah. I really like the concept of this game, but I think one problem with the way the mechanic was used in this game was that we all decided on a NS lynch, and then when it went into Rarefaction... well, we didn't want NS to be lynched any less than we already did, so that was one of the cells basically solved in advance.

This is true though - perhaps it would work if all 3 scum would need to be lynched as opposed to just two out of 3? Or maybe that is too much to ask. It depends on the playerlist. But then again, if a townie had been lynched Day 1, then their cell would have lynched them again, so I don't know.

I am interested too if you'll have me.[/quote]
Konowa
Konowa
Mafia Scum
Konowa
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #430 (ISO) » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:41 am

Post by Konowa »

Loved the game, Vi!
Yes, I did ask the red=scum? question. I think with everything going on in the role PM plus it being you as the mod made me doublethink everything.
I agree with F16, I think role distribution amongst the playerlist had alot to do with how the game played out. Would love to play in future games of yours. How exactly do you see this working as an Open?
How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder,
without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better,
and not the world about them?
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #431 (ISO) » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:30 am

Post by Vi »

Answering Konowa:

Nine players, two of which are scum
One Puppybearer (activates at Rarefaction)
Begin Rarefaction when there are twice as many Town alive as scum (so after Day 2 with 6 alive at earliest)
Both scum must be lynched to end game - if game enters Rarefaction every cell must choose correctly
Why is it called a smart phone when it thinks I'm spelling Ratefaction

One idea left out of this game was to let the scum choose the conf Town at Rarefaction - a Puppyteer, as it were. May consider that

Immediate balance comparison is F11 with Doctor but this setup is more Townsided

This message totally took ten minutes of my life how do you people even phone post without throwing it out the window seriously
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Konowa
Konowa
Mafia Scum
Konowa
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #432 (ISO) » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:39 am

Post by Konowa »

That's how you can tell, for me at least, when I am phone posting or when I am posting from a computer.
Length of post and how quickly I respond.

Sounds interesting. Would definitely play this. I like the option of giving scum the ability to choose IC.
How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder,
without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better,
and not the world about them?
Empire
Empire
Mafia Scum
Empire
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #433 (ISO) » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:53 am

Post by Empire »

Smartphone posting isn't that bad, Vi.

I'll consider joining the next version of this game if I have some free time. Right now, the looming pressure of law school finals is starting to get heavy so I'm trying to cut back a bit on mafia.
Shmugen
Shmugen
Mafia Scum
Shmugen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #434 (ISO) » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:54 am

Post by Shmugen »

Hey, good work everyone! I liked the fast pace and flabbergasting mechanic. Always a pleasure, Vi.
saulres
saulres
Mafia Scum
saulres
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #435 (ISO) » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:07 am

Post by saulres »

Sorry I wasn't around for the ending (RL is a bitch), but yay!

I
loved
the concept, Vi! I like LyLo and to be put in starting day 2, without the game actually being on the line, was great. I think if the director had put in some effort, Xalxe's flaking wouldn't have hurt the team (although clearly I was onto
something
when I was pushing him); it was really the director's play that I think cemented it. I don't know why he was pushing F-16 as the scum instead of me.

Maybe to make it work as an Open, add a townie and let the first lynch actually go through, with the caveat that if town is lynched, town wincon is 2 of 3, if scum is lynched town wincon changes to 3 of 3?

This note from my personal QT, would like to hear anyone's thoughts on it.
Holy crap. I ask for unvotes, and in the next two posts I go from L-1, which I've been at for days, to L-3. What the hell did I do right?

I think if I wound up in the cell with Tierce and Empire the outcome might have been different, seeing as how I got to L-1...

More thoughts when I have time.
"SAULRES you are THE man! Fav mod eva, no contest!" - Bert; "Saulres is a fantastic mod, if he is running a game everyone needs to join it." - FuDuzn
Nominated for Paperback Writer Scummie 2013 and 2014!
On permanent
V/LA
Friday afternoons through Saturday nights.
Shmugen
Shmugen
Mafia Scum
Shmugen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #436 (ISO) » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:12 am

Post by Shmugen »

I might end up using this game as a reminder that my gut is sometimes decent, even if I have problems justifying it.
Shamrock
Shamrock
Mafia Scum
Shamrock
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #437 (ISO) » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:17 am

Post by Shamrock »

saul, your #226 and #229 just made my town sensors go beep boop beep boop. I don't know, I guess the emotion just came off as very legitimate.
Two chainz, four bracelets. Let me see that ass clap, standing ovation.
Nobody Special
Nobody Special
Survivor
Nobody Special
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #438 (ISO) » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:38 am

Post by Nobody Special »

Thanks, Vi, another terrific game (regardless of your opinion of it, so etc.).

The mechanic is great; I just wish I'd seen it coming. I screwed myself over with the fakeclaim, and I want to apologize to my teammates for having done that. :oops:
....what?

Blitz: Picking Simplicity taking pre-ins; PM for info. (0/13)
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #439 (ISO) » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:42 pm

Post by Vi »

Shamrock 426 wrote:I think one problem with the way the mechanic was used in this game was that we all decided on a NS lynch, and then when it went into Rarefaction... well, we didn't want NS to be lynched any less than we already did, so that was one of the cells basically solved in advance.
...you weren't supposed to lynch scum Day 1. :shifty:

F-16 427 wrote:Also, if this is a "failure" for you, I can only imagine what a "success" would be like. :D
The only game I think was a true success was the only one in which mod decisions and communications didn't cause a moderate-to-severe issue with game balance. Sadly, nobody liked that game (Invictus).

I think literally every other game has had at least one thing to regret. :/ I don't think I can do much wrong with an Open game though.

...or I could be incredibly faultfinding when it comes to works of my own creation, especially when basically all of them use experimental mechanics. You choose!

Konowa 430 wrote:Yes, I did ask the red=scum? question.
So did at least one reviewer.

Shamrock 426 wrote:However, are you accepting /pre-ins for the open version of this? >_>
Shamrock
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Tierce
[One slot left! omg]
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
the director
the director
Goon
the director
Goon
Goon

Post Post #440 (ISO) » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:05 pm

Post by the director »

Well played, Tierce. I really didn't know how to handle two of the three scum already being under heavy suspicion so I decided to be more aggressive than I usually like to be. You rightfully called me out on it, I was hoping to generate enough WIFOM to get a mislynch in a cell to give the scum a fighting chance. Set up was really cool, Vi.

Learnin' something every game.
saulres
saulres
Mafia Scum
saulres
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #441 (ISO) » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:49 am

Post by saulres »

Why did you try painting F-16 as the scum in our cell when I was the one who was run up to L-1?
"SAULRES you are THE man! Fav mod eva, no contest!" - Bert; "Saulres is a fantastic mod, if he is running a game everyone needs to join it." - FuDuzn
On permanent
V/LA
saulres
saulres
Mafia Scum
saulres
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #442 (ISO) » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:51 am

Post by saulres »

Did the scum make use of their QT? If so, could we see it?
On permanent
V/LA
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Mafia Scum
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #443 (ISO) » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:54 am

I actually wondered that too but I guess it made sense. You suspected me but I was pretty convinced you were town. It would have been harder to get me to vote you than to get you to vote me. It is either that or the director never read the thread.
Empire
Empire
Mafia Scum
Empire
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #444 (ISO) » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:11 am

Post by Empire »

I don't mind making the scum QT public. Partners?
Empire
Empire
Mafia Scum
Empire
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #445 (ISO) » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:25 am

Post by Empire »

We only used it in the pre-game and it's basically me just brainstorming briefly about what rarefaction could be.
Nobody Special
Nobody Special
Survivor
Nobody Special
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #446 (ISO) » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:21 pm

Post by Nobody Special »

I'm fine with it. It's very sparse.
....what?

Blitz: Picking Simplicity taking pre-ins; PM for info. (0/13)
the director
the director
Goon
the director
Goon
Goon

Post Post #447 (ISO) » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:21 pm

Post by the director »

In post 441, saulres wrote:Why did you try painting F-16 as the scum in our cell when I was the one who was run up to L-1?

My snap judgement at the time had me thinking his awkward hammer was the better play.
Empire
Empire
Mafia Scum
Empire
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #448 (ISO) » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:10 pm

Post by Empire »

saulres
saulres
Mafia Scum
saulres
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #449 (ISO) » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:07 am

Post by saulres »

Tierce -- two in a row, you read me as scum when I wasn't. And I somewhat read you as scum and you weren't.

Scum's going to have a field day with us if we both draw town in another game :(
On permanent
V/LA

Return to “Mayfair Club [Micro Games]”