The MafiaScum Minecraft Thread - Summer 2024 NEW SERVER!

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.

Event & Minigame RSVP ~ Week of 27/5 - 03/6:

Inaugural SPLEEF Tourney - (Share your date/time preference!)
50%
Other Games, Speedrun Maps, IDK?! - (Share in comments!)
50%

Total votes: 2

Maruchan
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #8675 (ISO) » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:05 pm

Post by Maruchan »

In post 8674, Claus wrote:I just read Maru's "OP" post, and I think this is a storm in a cup of water. I'm a pretty vanilla guy, and I don't think most of what Xalxe has done is as bad as Maru posts it. I'm currently writing a longer post with my opinions about the issue, but it will take some time. (It would be oh so good next time you guys decided to stir drama, you did that on a non-working day :-P). Please stand by.

i was getting shit for doing shit so the logs was my way of going we all do shit we all suck im just worse at it.
Show
Returning to modding after a nearly two year hiatus!
9 player Purgatory coming to the Open Queue Soon!
Join Now!

Micro Grand Idea uPick coming to the micro queue soon!
Claus
Claus
Mafia Scum
Claus
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8676 (ISO) » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:22 pm

Post by Claus »

Hmmmm. My opinions on this

1- We certainly do not need many more OPs anymore. I was OP'd by UA because he needed someone to keep an eye on griefers. But now that we have core protect, all we need an OP for is to help with whitelisting, checking coreprotect logs, and sometimes fixing glitches.

2- We do need an OWNER, who will set down base rules, admin mods, and sometimes do helpful magic (like creative-only items for contest prizes, etc.)

3- I do think that the OWNER of the server should have the final say of the server rules. I understand what Maru's said about "this being MS's server", but as far as I'm concerned, small internet communities benefit from "benevolent dictator" systems. Also, I fully trust Maru to be this benevolent dictator. When he asked if he should host the server in my place, I did not accept that without thinking about it.

4- As far as rules for "OP cheating" goes, Maru as the owner of the server has the final world. The rules that I used were much more lax than what the angry comments in this thread seem to imply. I did not think that there is any problem in an OP/Owner using fly/TP and other movement related commands at will for monitoring user activity. I think that "creativing in" items would be cheating. I also think that the Owner should have the discretion to break this rules whenever he thinks it is necessary. Once someone (was it Nom? Pizza?) told me he was having a really shitty day, and wanted to blow up stuff. We located a very distant village, and I gave him some flying powers to explode it. I see nothing wrong with a server admin making snap decisions like that.

5- I'm strongly against the "Check and Balance" system of keeping good morals. To me it is a drama ticking bomb waiting to explode.

6- Chevre is awesome
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVVmAG0RXmo
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: They/Them/Any

Post Post #8677 (ISO) » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:29 pm

Post by Maestro »

Claus has spoken. So shall it be.
Klazam
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #8678 (ISO) » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:31 pm

Post by Klazam »

Once someone (was it Nom? Pizza?) told me he was having a really shitty day, and wanted to blow up stuff. We located a very distant village, and I gave him some flying powers to explode it.

(Me)
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #8679 (ISO) » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:44 pm

Post by Chevre »

Thanks hun! It's totally because of that picture of Corin right?
There will be no kisses tonight
There will be no holding hands tonight
'Cause what is now wasn't there before and should not be
Om of the Nom
Om of the Nom
Jack of All Trades
Om of the Nom
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #8680 (ISO) » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:58 pm

Post by Om of the Nom »

In post 8676, Claus wrote:Once someone (was it Nom? Pizza?) told me he was having a really shitty day, and wanted to blow up stuff. We located a very distant village, and I gave him some flying powers to explode it.

Um, Claus? I've been having really shitty days at school and I feel like blowing shit up too. Can I do this sometime?
*puppydog eyes*

(despite the sarcastic nature of this post everything in it is true)
“Leftover lady, let alone the strongest to be subdued.
If I only had the magic key that would unlock the realms to the plateau of the highest me.
Even though I’ve been badly bruised, living in a house to become a popular muse.”

hey beautiful ! how was your day ?
izakthegoomba
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8681 (ISO) » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:02 pm

Post by izakthegoomba »

Wow, way to be an ass Maru. Frankly I don't have time for this now. But I will say that this is being massively exaggerated and blown out of proportion, especially the part about xrays, which has already been sufficiently explained in private.

(edit: just read it anyway, Claus knows what he's talking about. For the record we were
trying
to deal with this quietly... :roll: )
(Mostly) on hiatus until further notice. Planet MafiaScum 2 will be modded by Inspi and JDGA - go check it out!
izakthegoomba
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8682 (ISO) » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:25 pm

Post by izakthegoomba »

In post 8667, Maruchan wrote:Suggestion: OP QuickTopic where all command usage is documented with reasoning, for the future of course cant change the past, and that way if any of a team of OPs spots inconsistencies they can police each other ,and having to answer for any command usage, amongst a group of your peers, will minimize the cheating between all three.

And perhaps a fourth person who is NOT an op get copy of the server.log and access to the QT to be the "checks and balances" so the OPs can't like make arrangements amongst themselves for benefit.

I LIKE THIS IDEA

Ok somehow I missed this completely on my first read. I like it. There would need to be some threshold for what requires documentation - a "/help 4" obviously doesn't need to be explained while a "/give izakthegoomba 57 64" obviously does, but there is a grey area.

And a non-op for control and balance is an even better idea.
(Mostly) on hiatus until further notice. Planet MafiaScum 2 will be modded by Inspi and JDGA - go check it out!
izakthegoomba
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8683 (ISO) » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:55 pm

Post by izakthegoomba »

People I would support being that non-op include (but probably aren't limited to) Maestro and Klazam. They both seem mature and dedicated to the community, and are around a lot of the time.
Maruchan
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #8684 (ISO) » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:38 am

Post by Maruchan »

will post more when i am not on my way to school. have read and acknowledged all though
Show
Join Now!

Maruchan
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #8685 (ISO) » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:06 am

Post by Maruchan »

think i'm going to take a little bit of everything thats been said and put it into play.

1. Making use of GroupManager and Permissions to create an Admin-Class with pre-approved Admin Commands (that will of course be flexible of the admins find they don't have access to a command that is necessary to do admin-liek duties) that negates the need for OPs. This is a couple-hour-long process I will be doing sometime this weekend. This is what class I will make myself whilst removing my OP-age, and, since i said I would not de-op izak or xalxe, I will suggest to that all three of the current OPs be changed to but not force them to. It will have many of the same functions, such as access to the /whitelist /gamemode, /fly/ and /tppos etc commands but will not have access to things like /enchant /give /time /toggledownfall (difference between /give and /gm are /give works with NEI and TMI while /gm doesn't.), and a shitton more (liek i said couple-hour-long-process determining what is needed). This addresses Point number 1 Claus makes.

2. I will personally make use of a QT to log all actions of commands I make and suggest to xaxle and izak to also utilize this quick topic just so we can be held accountable. A difference however between my original idea and this, is I will post the server.log censored to just have anything I do (not say, all chat will be censored out as i understand some things are said either in reference to in-game secrets or in reference to gossip amongst the members that is not a good idea for EVERYONE to see) weekly to the QT as well, AND I will make the QT 100% public, meaning the entire server has the ability to monitor my actions should they so chose, rather than a select 1 or two. I think this negates Claus's fear in his Point #5, whilst still makes the idea a good idea. Most Mods Dens and Admin Dens on forums have similar logs where they care required to document their actions to be held accountable by other mods/admins, I feel that it is a good idea, and just making it public is more of something I feel I need to do.
Once again, I would suggest to the other admins to do the same, but i am not requiring it, I just think its a good idea to do so myself.

Now since I will be editing the logs, there might be accusations of editing out rule-infringing, and at this point is where we need to decide how to handle this, do we want to make the server.log in its entirety visible (that means whispers, private conversations, etc are all 100% public which i don't personally want), chose someone who you all trust to have access to the server.logs to be asked on request to find discrepancies in editing, or trust the ops to not edit out rule infringement and to hold each other to it (I think the third option is perfectly viable, i know xalxe has some animosity with me and so would likely hold me accountable for editing out anything, and izak may or may not after the past 24 hours, I do not know, and I am perfectly willing to hold both of them accountable as well, since i think none of us would do that)

3. Claus and MME will stay OPs and not have an y restrictions put on them on what they can and can not due with the commands they then have access to other than the obvious don't blow up the server, because both have proven trustable and no matter what command they should use, have proven they have good reason to use it, so I could care less how much godmoding they give themselves with OPage, because i know they don't aboose. Should UA ever return to us, he would fall into this as well as the great grandfather of all grandfathering clauses.

4. To address Claus's point #2, all ADMIN's (since i am suggesting de-opage ill call us admins now rather than OPs) will retain access to the server console via the control panel, meaning they all have the ability to console-command type "op THEIRNAME" to do this op magic, so there is always the availability of OP magic should it be needed, but there is never at any one point an actual OP on the server.

5. To address Claus's #3 I think as a community we need to establish what these rules for the admins and the players BOTH are, what are the admins, by being admins, allowed to do moreso than the players? Anything? Nothing? Everything? Some of you have already expressed vague opinions on this, so we need to come to a consensus, as well as establish what rules there are player-wide. Unlike Claus, I don't feel comfortable beign the god-figure and just going my word is law, i'd prefer a joint effort of everyone to decide this, so think about it and think hard.

TL;DR: Fucking read it. It's important
Show
Join Now!

Maruchan
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #8686 (ISO) » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:07 am

Post by Maruchan »

EBWODP: by admins logging use of commands, liek izak said i don't mean they need to lgo uses of /tpa etc, just log uses of admin-only commands that normal players don't have access to
Show
Join Now!

T-Bone
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
A Cut Above

Post Post #8687 (ISO) » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:09 am

Post by T-Bone »

I support most of this. But lets not get crazy either.
My Top 40 Alt Songs of the Year!

"Playing in a Newbie game doesn't count" ~ PenguinPower, Feb 2019
izakthegoomba
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8688 (ISO) » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:24 am

Post by izakthegoomba »

I actually think Maru's fifth point is by far the most important. Up to this point, boundaries have simply not been a thing. Hell, until a few weeks ago nobody even cared about Ops flying regardless of whether we had a reason or not. I am completely happy to abide by whatever restrictions the community thinks are necessary; the problem is that such restrictions have never existed.

When Claus made myself and Xalxe Ops, I believe he used the words "cool op powers to use at your discretion". And, no offence Claus, but I think that's played a significant part in this issue.
Hiraki
Hiraki
Survivor
Hiraki
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #8689 (ISO) » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:08 am

Post by Hiraki »

making it in bold won't make me read it

loser

Edit: so wait

if I'm understanding this right (which I'm probably not since I'm dying atm) isn't this just doing the same thing as before but just trusting people to put it into a QT?
izakthegoomba
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8690 (ISO) » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:16 am

Post by izakthegoomba »

Nope. There are logs which can be checked for un-recorded actions; failing to record them is only going to make everything ten times worse.
Pizzadudes7
Pizzadudes7
Goon
Pizzadudes7
Goon
Goon

Post Post #8691 (ISO) » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:00 am

Post by Pizzadudes7 »

In post 8678, Klazam wrote:Once someone (was it Nom? Pizza?) told me he was having a really shitty day, and wanted to blow up stuff. We located a very distant village, and I gave him some flying powers to explode it.

(Me)

Yeah, not me, but I like blowing things up :good:

Seriously though, I think this is a bunch of "OPs use their powers because they have them." I'm pretty sure anyonewith OP powers would do the same. Now, there is a line you shouldn't cross. Xalxe kicking me: Was a joke that I loled at. Maru creating a 2 high pyramid of diamond blocks and a bacon on top all from creative: No, fight the damn Wither. There are borders they shouldn't cross, and they know that. Honestly, let's either move on and make sure they don't abuse powers or fight for the next month over who gets to be OP. I know I don't wanna be, because I'm sure I would end up doing something regretably stupid as an OP. Minecraft is for fun, not for politics, debates, complaining, and other problems.

Sincerely,
Pizza
Show
I definitely did NOT just lose the game. :)

If someone broke something, blame either gravity or kdowns.

I am simply stating things that may or may not need to be changed through my thorough use of sarcasm, trolling, and all around bitchiness.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8692 (ISO) » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:21 am

Post by Rhinox »

*sigh*
Maruchan
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #8693 (ISO) » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:23 am

Post by Maruchan »

In post 8689, Hiraki wrote:making it in bold won't make me read it

loser

Edit: so wait

if I'm understanding this right (which I'm probably not since I'm dying atm) isn't this just doing the same thing as before but just trusting people to put it into a QT?

In post 8690, izakthegoomba wrote:Nope. There are logs which can be checked for un-recorded actions; failing to record them is only going to make everything ten times worse.

No.

A: OP's/Admins will lose about half of the cheaty never-would-be-needed-to-assist-players-legitly powers (such as the Enchant command), while keeping some of the more-cheaty but-have-legit-uses powers like flying and CoreProtect while being required to log legitimate uses for the mroe cheaty of these powers such as flying. As well as log your reasons for it, the actual minecraft-generated server.log will be available to compare with your records for the general populace to be sure you document all your use of cheaty-like powers.

Also i agree with izak #5 being the most important of the post, read it if nothing else.
Show
Join Now!

Maruchan
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #8694 (ISO) » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:24 am

Post by Maruchan »

In post 8691, Pizzadudes7 wrote:Maru creating a 2 high pyramid of diamond blocks and a bacon on top all from creative: No, fight the damn Wither.

Ahem

That was all legit

The diamonds can be vouched for as legit by Claus, and the wither was fought using the wither skeletons that i bought off of Klazam.

thankies<3
Show
Join Now!

izakthegoomba
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8695 (ISO) » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:12 am

Post by izakthegoomba »

Frankly I don't know why this is suddenly a problem
now
Xalxe and I have been behaving in a way which could be called cheaty since day 1 -
and nobody cared
. Well, T-Bone might have cared a bit, but clearly not enough to make a fuss about it. There were plenty of times when we would fly, or use creative, or use other powers somewhat frivolously. I'm pretty sure Claus was aware of it. Various players were certainly aware of it. Nobody was really trying to hide anything. And yet in the last month or two there's been a sudden shift in opinion, and now it's at the point where we're essentially saying Op powers shouldn't be used at all outside of official business. Which is a slightly odd opinion considering we can barely be considered a vanilla server any more.

I'm not saying that change is bad, or that this new mindset is entirely wrong. I'm just saying if you want people to behave in a particular way, they need to know about it. I am not a god. I am not omniscient. I am not telepathic. So can we try and settle on something here? I really don't think it's necessary to strip away half the op powers,
especially
considering they're all logged anyway, and
we're going to have a quicktopic for recording their use

I'm going to put together some kind of list about what I think in response to #5, but for now that's my stance.

(oh, and as for teleporting powers. Back before we had Bukkit, one of the listed Op duties was to teleport to players periodically to check up on what people were doing)
T-Bone
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
A Cut Above

Post Post #8696 (ISO) » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:12 am

Post by T-Bone »

MARU JUST CRASHED THE SERVER FOR HIS OWN SELFISH GAIN! OP ABUSE!
My Top 40 Alt Songs of the Year!

"Playing in a Newbie game doesn't count" ~ PenguinPower, Feb 2019
izakthegoomba
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8697 (ISO) » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:13 am

Post by izakthegoomba »

Looks like it's up to me.
Maruchan
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #8698 (ISO) » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:02 am

Post by Maruchan »

actually i crashed it for klaz's own selfish gain to turn creeper explosions on

:P
Show
Join Now!

T-Bone
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
A Cut Above

Post Post #8699 (ISO) » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:03 am

Post by T-Bone »

OP ABUSE!