The MafiaScum Minecraft Thread - AllTheMods 9!!! - NEW Vanilla?

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.

New Vanilla Server?

Yes, on latest stable version; with fun events & mini-games!
33%
Yes, on latest stable version; for consistency & community! (no plugins)
33%
Yes, on "snapshots"/development versions; bleeding edge! (definitely no plugins)
No votes
Yes, with Spigot/Bukkit/server "plugins" (or commands like /tpa, /home, etc.)
33%
Yes, but I'll post with my specific thoughts and ideas!
No votes

Total votes: 9

Maruchan
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #8850 (ISO) » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:35 am

Post by Maruchan »

In post 8848, Maestro wrote:I can personally say that I will not play TerraFirmaCraft if it is put up as a companion server...I believe that TFC is excessively complex to the point of no longer being a fun game and I believe there are others who agree with me.

Meanwhile, there seem to be enough people that want a Vanilla server that it would be a good investment of community time, etc. and I still disagree that it would split the community. Many people don't play on the server that often as it is, and if those people would play if the server was Vanilla then the new server would be nothing but a good thing for them since it would literally draw them back into the community.

We're already "split" on the basis of many players' long inactivity and preference for a non-Bukkit environment; why isn't offering a second, possibly-more-appealing option seen as something that can bring more people into the fold?

@Rhinox: I understand that you don't want to force others to play by your preference - that's what I was trying to get across. I wasn't trying to imply that you would go play by yourself rather than play with warps/tp's, etc. I was just trying to say that you have a preferred way of playing and the current system of warps/tp's does not seem to accomodate/encourage your preferred way of playing, by your own admission.

Mkay i'll switch the server to vanilla if you can come up with a solution to the chest issue, unfortunately an enderchest isn't endless.
Show
Returning to modding after a nearly two year hiatus!
9 player Purgatory coming to the Open Queue Soon!
Join Now!

Micro Grand Idea uPick coming to the micro queue soon!
Maruchan
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #8851 (ISO) » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:36 am

Post by Maruchan »

In post 8849, Xalxe wrote:Maru, you had your modded server for a while that was open to anybody and was just something you publicized here, and that was fine. Attempting to do any other "MafiaScum" server will not end well.

i wasn't doing another MS one

this terrafirma is going to be the same basic premise as the old.
Show
Join Now!

fuzzybutternut
fuzzybutternut
Jack of All Trades
fuzzybutternut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #8852 (ISO) » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:05 am

Post by fuzzybutternut »

If someone would be so kind as to send me a message and explain to me what the actual fuck is going on here, I would greatly appreciate it. Until then, I will sit in my room, in the fetal position, and sulk due to my deprivation of Minecraft. I have a high IQ and all, but none of this makes sense, and I'm pretty much confused.
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: They/Them/Any

Post Post #8853 (ISO) » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:25 am

Post by Maestro »

In post 8849, Xalxe wrote:And as this is Xalxe's opinion, I'm automatically right, so suck it bitches.

Accepted in the edited form.
Argument now over.
Pizzadudes7
Pizzadudes7
Goon
Pizzadudes7
Goon
Goon

Post Post #8854 (ISO) » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:10 am

Post by Pizzadudes7 »

In post 8853, Maestro wrote:
In post 8849, Xalxe wrote:And as this is Xalxe's opinion, I'm automatically right, so suck it bitches.

Accepted in the edited form.
Argument now over.

I second the ending of the argument.

Transmission terminated.
Show
I definitely did NOT just lose the game. :)

If someone broke something, blame either gravity or kdowns.

I am simply stating things that may or may not need to be changed through my thorough use of sarcasm, trolling, and all around bitchiness.
Maruchan
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #8855 (ISO) » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:59 am

Post by Maruchan »

the good news:

finally got to the point where i paid the money!

the bad news: that means 1 hour till its up + whatever time it takes corin to get thigns going +24 hours till the mafiascum.maruchanserver redirects properly, but i'll have an IP up sooner than 24 hours that can be used until the url re-directs properly
Show
Join Now!

Claus
Claus
Mafia Scum
Claus
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8856 (ISO) » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:01 pm

Post by Claus »

Hey Maru,

When the new box is set up, give me an FTP (or better yet, normal user) account and I can probably do the automatic backup that I used to do during daddycheese time :-) -- Although removing some ocean to reduce file size would be wonderful.

Other than that, you guys talk too much. Go play some single player and post the screenshots here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVVmAG0RXmo
izakthegoomba
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8857 (ISO) » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:16 pm

Post by izakthegoomba »

If you do cut out ocean, make sure you don't nuke my new place! I don't want to tell everyone where it is (hence me hiding myself on the dynmap) but I can can PM you if you want. Or you could just check my location with ~CHEATY POWERS~.
(Mostly) on hiatus until further notice. Planet MafiaScum 2 will be modded by Inspi and JDGA - go check it out!
izakthegoomba
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8858 (ISO) » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:21 pm

Post by izakthegoomba »

And as for the Vanilla vs Bukkit issue. I'd like to point out that any argument concerning
what regular users can do is a non-issue
. If it is decided that we don't want everyone to have access to warps, teleporting, etc., we can block those commands. We can still keep Bukkit for lockette, coreprotect, etc., because Bukkit itself doesn't change anything at the user end - only plugins do that. It's entirely possible for players to have a purely vanilla game while admins have all the plugins they need to run the server far better than vanilla would allow them.
(Mostly) on hiatus until further notice. Planet MafiaScum 2 will be modded by Inspi and JDGA - go check it out!
izakthegoomba
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8859 (ISO) » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:23 pm

Post by izakthegoomba »

(and personally I'd be completely happy to see warps go. I think player-to-player teleporting and maybe /back should stay, though perhaps with a cooldown.)
Om of the Nom
Om of the Nom
Jack of All Trades
Om of the Nom
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #8860 (ISO) » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:32 pm

Post by Om of the Nom »

I think warps should be kept though for Distant Lands and Vineland, since they're so far away.
Plus I have a project I'm working on in Distant Lands and I need to warp to and from there.
“Leftover lady, let alone the strongest to be subdued.
If I only had the magic key that would unlock the realms to the plateau of the highest me.
Even though I’ve been badly bruised, living in a house to become a popular muse.”

hey beautiful ! how was your day ?
Om of the Nom
Om of the Nom
Jack of All Trades
Om of the Nom
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #8861 (ISO) » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:32 pm

Post by Om of the Nom »

In post 8795, Om of the Nom wrote:WHO WANTS SOME DIAMONDS?
I'm in need of non-refined Spruce wood but I'm too lazy to get it. Need probably like 20 stacks of it. Willing to pay the lowest bidder, or a combination of bids from different people. Bids must be under a stack of diamonds.

Bump
“Leftover lady, let alone the strongest to be subdued.
If I only had the magic key that would unlock the realms to the plateau of the highest me.
Even though I’ve been badly bruised, living in a house to become a popular muse.”

hey beautiful ! how was your day ?
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #8862 (ISO) » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:37 pm

Post by Chevre »

The features I would like to see stay:

/home
/warp spawntown, vineland, skytown, and I plead for an additional one to honeyopolis. those seem to be the four big metropolises of our server.
I think the /tpa and /tphere ones are good too; there has been many a time when someone has wanted to show me something and those were quite useful.

Personally, I don't see the kerfluffle about these. If people really didn't want them, they wouldn't use them. These commands have been so useful to me, as I am honestly much poorer at this game than most of y'all and without them, I would've probably not built the meager things I have managed to do.
There will be no kisses tonight
There will be no holding hands tonight
'Cause what is now wasn't there before and should not be
izakthegoomba
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8863 (ISO) » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:41 pm

Post by izakthegoomba »

Pah. Vineland is, what? 20k blocks away? That's 2500 nether blocks. With a decent number of booster rails, a Minecart can travel at 8m/s. You can get it going at over 11m/s if you exploit dodgy physics in strange ways but let's say 8 for simplicity. We're talking about 312 seconds. 5 minutes, 12 seconds.

Get a secure rail line up, and go make yourself another cup of cocoa. Honestly I think warping is preventing us setting up any kind of travel system, the like of which can be really awesome.
izakthegoomba
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8864 (ISO) » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:46 pm

Post by izakthegoomba »

Though that said, I don't really dislike warps, and I use them as much as anyone. Maybe more now I'm far away.

But what I want to see more than anything is a cooldown on teleporting, including /back. Even just a couple of minutes makes it worthwhile getting your stuff together in one place rather than going /home and /back every time you want something. Let's make teleports what they're supposed to be; a convenience.
izakthegoomba
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8865 (ISO) » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:46 pm

Post by izakthegoomba »

Though that said, I don't really dislike warps, and I use them as much as anyone. Maybe more now I'm far away.

But what I want to see more than anything is a cooldown on teleporting, including /back. Even just a couple of minutes makes it worthwhile getting your stuff together in one place rather than going /home and /back every time you want something. Let's make teleports what they're supposed to be; a convenience.
Klazam
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #8866 (ISO) » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:48 pm

Post by Klazam »

In post 8862, Chevre wrote:The features I would like to see stay:

/home
/warp spawntown, vineland, skytown, and I plead for an additional one to honeyopolis. those seem to be the four big metropolises of our server.
I think the /tpa and /tphere ones are good too; there has been many a time when someone has wanted to show me something and those were quite useful.

Personally, I don't see the kerfluffle about these. If people really didn't want them, they wouldn't use them. These commands have been so useful to me, as I am honestly much poorer at this game than most of y'all and without them, I would've probably not built the meager things I have managed to do.

No to honeypolis warp. I was pushing for it until i wised up and built a nether route. It's literally a 25 sec walk from spawn
Maruchan
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #8867 (ISO) » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:13 pm

Post by Maruchan »

In post 8856, Claus wrote:Hey Maru,

When the new box is set up, give me an FTP (or better yet, normal user) account and I can probably do the automatic backup that I used to do during daddycheese time :-) -- Although removing some ocean to reduce file size would be wonderful.

Other than that, you guys talk too much. Go play some single player and post the screenshots here.

you definitively could. we run something like devian linux or something, and ssh and shit works and i would totes give you all the infoz.
Show
Join Now!

Maruchan
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #8868 (ISO) » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:14 pm

Post by Maruchan »

In post 8859, izakthegoomba wrote:(and personally I'd be completely happy to see warps go. I think player-to-player teleporting and maybe /back should stay, though perhaps with a cooldown.)

this.

TPA with a one hour cooldown, and a back with the same cooldown, as well as a home with a 15 minute or 30 minute cooldown.

I think that's pretty much good.

I'll spend all day tomorrow compiling my thoughts on the matter.
Show
Join Now!

Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #8869 (ISO) » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:15 pm

Post by Andrius »

no idea whats going on here
cant get on the server anyway so going to continue my existance in blissful[?] ignorance
"This is the true face of a man who plays paladin."
Mist7676
Mist7676
Mafia Scum
Mist7676
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8870 (ISO) » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:16 pm

Post by Mist7676 »

I don't use warps much but when I do, for them. I wouldn't like to see them done with, if you don't want to use the commands don't use them. But I do think people are becoming more spread out which is making warps almost necessary.

PEDIT lol I use back like every 5 seconds sometimes because of building, if I need to go somewhere and back to my house back to back (e.g. getting lava from the nether to fill a place) so leaving such a high cool down would hurt. Maybe 10 minutes for the tpa and back. But home shouldn't have a cooldown. We are supposed to spawn in our beds anyways >.>
You Are Worth It
Maruchan
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #8871 (ISO) » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:22 pm

Post by Maruchan »

Should have Working temporary server deets up within the hour, and the url in the OP should all work again within 24.
Show
Join Now!

izakthegoomba
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8872 (ISO) » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:26 pm

Post by izakthegoomba »

I think an hour is a bit too much. Maybe 15 minutes all round?
Klazam
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #8873 (ISO) » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:39 pm

Post by Klazam »

To me, adding a cool down just adds to the tedium. If it is allowed, no cool down, if it is not, remove the command. That's all I think should be done.

Honestly at this point, the citizens of the server is so spread out that if a cool down is implemented, I sincerely believe that many people would simply stop playing.

I vote, leave things as they are. Maybe on the next reboot of the whole world, we could make it vanilla- because the expectations will not be there, players would go to the effort to make sure their constructions is accessible.

I'm building a structure in the middle of nowhere, to use as my home base, so if I had a cool down, I'd probably lose interest in playing altogether.
Maruchan
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #8874 (ISO) » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:45 pm

Post by Maruchan »

klazam speaks understandableness.

Speaking of he raises a good point, one day we should consider doing a map reset. Maybe the next, or the 2nd or 3rd world-gen update down the line?

EDIT: plus for the modded server if i said scratch terrafirmacraft, and went with EBXL again (the awsome bioems mod), tossed in some Metallurgy 2, and sprinkled on top of that some Tropicraft, how would you guys feel about playing on it with meh?

it would be more vanilla-ish in the aspect of no commands or locking of chests or flying etc, but less so in that it has modded gameplay.
Show
Join Now!

Return to “The Arcade”