/Invitational 13: The battle of Yarmouk. Decisive victory!

Micro Games (9 players or fewer). Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:09 am

Post by mykonian »

The first day, Vahan ordered a limited attack with a third of his infantry forces to test the strenghth and strategy of the muslim army.

votecount

DeathRowKitty (3): Fishythefish, Panzerjager, mith
Kittymo (2): DeathRowKitty, Katsuki
Panzerjager (2): chamber, KittyMo

not voting (2): Kublai Khan, Rhinox
Last edited by mykonian on Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Surrender, imagine and of course wear something nice.
DeathRowKitty
DeathRowKitty
she
Frog
DeathRowKitty
she
Frog
Frog
Pronoun: she

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:36 am

Post by DeathRowKitty »

Do my posts really "exude effort"? Jeez.

The exclamation mark was certainly a conscious choice - a conscious choice to mess with mykonian. Putting "Die. Scum. Die." on 3 lines was hardly more of a conscious choice than putting a period at the end of your average declarative sentence. My first post says what it means to say in the way it means to say it. That's all.

In post 22, Fishythefish wrote:At some point I'm going to accidentally vote for the wrong kitty here, so it's essential we get rid of one before LYLO.
That's okay, you can call me Frog~ Very few people actually call me anything Kitty-related.

As far as Panzer goes, I think he voted me because he thinks I'm sexy and not because he cares much about the case. I could be wrong, but I certainly am quite an attractive frog.

I actually did want a mod response to my deadline lynch rule question.
Mod

Spoiler:
In post 3, mykonian wrote:If there are multiple people with the most votes, the person who acquired them first gets lynched

Suppose the 9 players in this game are called A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, and I.

Let's say C gets voted by A and B.
After that happens, player A gets voted by players C and D.
Then players E and F vote player G.

So the votecount now looks like
[2]C - A, B
[2]A - C, D
[2]G - E, F

[3]Not Voting(G, H, I)

Let's say that B then unvotes C and votes A. Then D unvotes A and votes C. No other votes happen the entire day. Final votecount:

[2]C - A, D
[2]A - C, B
[2]G - E, F

[3]Not Voting(G, H, I)

To me, your deadline lynch rule could justify any of these 3 players being lynched. Player A was the first to acquire 2 votes. Player G was the first to acquire the two votes he now has. Player A was least recently below 2 votes.

Who would be lynched?
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:04 am

Post by Rhinox »

Traveling all day back home from vaca today so i'm putting off doing anything til i get back. Just wanted to say i'm here.
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:06 am

Post by mykonian »

G would be lynched, he was at two votes before the other two got there again (which was the situation at deadline)
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:16 am

Post by mith »

chamber: The existence of alternative self-consistent thought processes for that action does not nullify the point, which is that your post seems off to me. That you are ducking the implied question of "why are you doing this?" with hypothetical reasons doesn't make me feel better about you.

KK: I like your posting so far, but I wouldn't go so far as to say I have a "strong" read on you - I don't believe I've played with you before, for one thing.

Something seems a little off with DRK's response to Fishy (insofar as DRK is voting for KittyMo and would seem to be in favor of getting rid of one of them), but I may be confirmation biasing myself. Ditto with caring so much about the deadline lynch rule, which should never be an issue if we are a good town.
DeathRowKitty
DeathRowKitty
she
Frog
DeathRowKitty
she
Frog
Frog

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:29 am

Post by DeathRowKitty »

In post 29, mith wrote:insofar as DRK is voting for KittyMo and would seem to be in favor of getting rid of one of them
Are you really implying that a random vote on KittyMo means I want her lynched?
Katsuki
Katsuki
Cupcake
Katsuki
Cupcake
Cupcake

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:17 am

Post by Katsuki »

Unvote, Vote: DRK
Fluffy fluffy~~~ |
"READING KATSUKI IS LIKE SOME SORT OF POSTMODERN ARTFORM"
- GreyICE
Katsuki is by far more absurdly beautiful than Fate. (hai parama)
Katsuki's Madness coming to you shortly: Nov, 2011!

C
u
p
c
a
k
e
M
a
f
i
a
I
I
coming to you summer 2011! ~ Pre-ins: 11/13
Fishythefish
Fishythefish
Mafia Scum
Fishythefish
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:34 am

Post by Fishythefish »

In post 26, DeathRowKitty wrote:Do my posts really "exude effort"? Jeez.

The exclamation mark was certainly a conscious choice - a conscious choice to mess with mykonian. Putting "Die. Scum. Die." on 3 lines was hardly more of a conscious choice than putting a period at the end of your average declarative sentence. My first post says what it means to say in the way it means to say it. That's all.

Yeah, the exclamation mark mod-messing explanation I'm certainly happy with. Other one seems like something that would require a very concious choice, but there's nothing left to say on it.

Dislike mith's 29, it's stretchy as hell. DRK's reply to me is answering a joke (though that may be stretching the term) about Kittys with a joke about usernames and Panzer's reasons. His vote for Kitty couldn't matter less, since noone is really advocating "lynch a kitty". His deadline lynch questions are slightly unusual, but why scummy? Acknowledging you have confirmation bias is a wonderful thing, but I struggle to believe mith has it this early on, on this sort of wagon. Doesn't feel real.

UNVOTE: DRK
VOTE: mith

@Katsuki: any thoughts that can't be expressed in vote form?

@myk:
do you require/prefer unvotes?
Katsuki
Katsuki
Cupcake
Katsuki
Cupcake
Cupcake

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:52 am

Post by Katsuki »

Not particularly.
Fluffy fluffy~~~ |
- GreyICE

C
u
p
c
a
k
e
M
a
f
i
a
I
I
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:40 am

Post by mith »

DRK: It's probably not productive for me to start off on a long rant about the pointlessness of "random" votes, so I will just say that if you are still voting for someone randomly on page 2 in the middle of non-random discussion, you're doing it wrong.

Who do you find scummy so far?

Fishy: I don't see DRK responding to a joke with a joke - I see DRK responding to a joke with a serious "call me something else", and then going on to make a separate point about Panzer (and then riff on the frog thing). Anyway, I concede that DRK probably wasn't thinking about that vote as a serious thing regardless of alignment.

On the deadline lynch thing, though, it just strikes me as the sort of thing scum asks about trying to look helpful, rather than the sort of thing town genuinely cares about (since, as I said, it shouldn't matter).
Fishythefish
Fishythefish
Mafia Scum
Fishythefish
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:53 am

Post by Fishythefish »

On the deadline lynch: ok. I can see where you are coming from. I disagree - I think it's a rather tired scumtell that probably never worked well - but it's not a particularly scummy point to make.

How about the confirmation bias? Do you really think you are suffering from that in any significant way on page 2? That is totally alien to me - and I, like you, think that making early game cases as serious as possible is useful and fun.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:33 am

Post by PJ. »

This interaction between fishy and mith is striking me as distancing.

Good guy katsuki on the trendy wagon.

DRK WAGON 2013
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:43 am

Post by mith »

The possibility of confirmation bias likely slipped into my thought process after reading this early today (linked from a more recent lifehacker article). Poor choice of phrase anyway; it's not that I was worried I found that scummy only because I already found DRK scummy, it's that I'm aware I probably only noticed the (apparent) incongruity of that statement because it was DRK responding rather than someone else.
DeathRowKitty
DeathRowKitty
she
Frog
DeathRowKitty
she
Frog
Frog

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:44 am

Post by DeathRowKitty »

In post 34, mith wrote:DRK: It's probably not productive for me to start off on a long rant about the pointlessness of "random" votes, so I will just say that if you are still voting for someone randomly on page 2 in the middle of non-random discussion, you're doing it wrong.
Unvoting isn't something it generally occurs to me to do unless I have a vote to replace it. At what point did you think my vote on her became a serious vote and why did that not warrant a question when things like this did? Seems like a strange oversight to make on the guy you're voting.

HOWEVER, my vote right now will go to the lovely young lady who made this post:
In post 36, PJ. wrote:This interaction between fishy and mith is striking me as distancing.

Good guy katsuki on the trendy wagon.

DRK WAGON 2013
An interaction on page 2 between the two primary proponents of my wagon striking him as distancing, but not enough for him to consider taking his vote off me? More importantly, his vote on me is seemingly a serious one. I was under the impression he just wanted to vote me and took the page 1 votes on me as an opportunity to do so. The repeated cry of "DRK WAGON 2013" seems hella forced and awkward on a serious vote for which he didn't give reasoning.

Unvote: KittyMo

Vote: Panzerjager
DeathRowKitty
DeathRowKitty
she
Frog
DeathRowKitty
she
Frog
Frog

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:51 am

Post by DeathRowKitty »

Also, re the deadline lynch thing:

In my one modded game, when I originally wrote my ruleset, my deadline lynch tiebreaker rule read as something along the lines of "First person to reach that number of votes will be lynched" (which sounds to me like it means the same thing mykonian's sounded like it meant). Before the game started, I realized that what I meant to say was actually "The player least recently below that number of votes will be lynched", the wording of which was the result of much more thought than it deserved and much more frustration over its inelegance than was anywhere near necessary. I agree that we've done something wrong if we need to know deadline lynch tiebreak rules; they're just something I'm interested in.
Fishythefish
Fishythefish
Mafia Scum
Fishythefish
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:36 pm

Post by Fishythefish »

God I hate being accused of distancing. Any particular reason, Panzer?

@mith: thanks for that thorough answer. I'm happy with it.

UNVOTE: mith
VOTE: panzer

I'm with DRK on this one. Panzer thinks I'm distancing from mith, and the conclusion is to cheerlead for the wagon we've both been on.
KittyMo
KittyMo
Too Sparkly
KittyMo
Too Sparkly
Too Sparkly

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:44 pm

Post by KittyMo »

@Mykonian
: I voted for panzer and it's not on the vote count.

In post 22, Fishythefish wrote:
@kitty: what's wrong with panzer's post? To me, it really doesn't exude effort like DRK's.

It's not really that it exudes effort, it just didn't ring as sincere enthusiasm to me, and his second post is even worse.

fishythefish wrote:God I hate being accused of distancing.

Why?
Alt of Ariel | MafiaScum wiki volunteer contributor & sysop | Identity (Mish Mash) is back | Speakeasy Secret Santa

"plz don't swear" -- N
"Do people just not appreciate the good old wall of text anymore?" -- Cheery Dog
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:47 pm

Post by chamber »

In post 41, KittyMo wrote:Why?

Feel free to wait until after fishy has answered, but why why?
Taking a break from the site.
Fishythefish
Fishythefish
Mafia Scum
Fishythefish
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:45 pm

Post by Fishythefish »

@Kitty: It makes me self-concious about my interactions with the player, and then I over-analyse what I should say (actually, this applies to all scum-scum links with alive players whose alignment I don't know). For example, I nearly changed my last post substantially because I was accused of distancing - I'm aware that it fits with distancing. It also gives me weird motivations to want mith not to be scum, because if he is I'm more likely to get lynched tomorrow. All in all, this hinders my scumhunting and stilts my interactions with the player I'm linked to - although probably not too much at all here, it being a really early and presumably weak link.

To be clear, none of that is saying that drawing links between alive players is wrong, or invalid scumhunting (though I do tend to think it's pretty useless before any flips). Just that I hate it.
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:27 am

Post by mykonian »

The battlefield had been chosen for it's suitability for cavalry maneuvers. Khalid knew that if he wanted any chance at victory, he had to maximize the effect of his superior cavalry.

votecount

Panzerjager (4): chamber, KittyMo, DeathRowKitty, Fishythefish
DeathRowKitty (3): Panzerjager, mith, Katsuki

not voting (2): Kublai Khan, Rhinox

I do not require unvotes.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:44 am

Post by mith »

DRK: There was nothing to question until you made that comment. I default to the assumption that all votes are meaningful anyway - at the time, I was just thinking about where your vote was placed, not that it had originally been "random" and that you were still on it and therefore it had "become" serious. If I had been looking for a transition from random to serious, that was the first post you made after KittyMo started posting.

Anyway, I don't really have any reason to disbelieve that you tend to not unvote unless you have somewhere to go with it (and will again resist the urge to go on a Mafia theory rant about it).

The way the Panzer wagon formed is making me uncomfortable, despite what is basically an inversion of what chamber did earlier. I'd still like a straight answer from chamber re: his Panzer vote.

Katsuki: Are you always this lurkerish? Top two, reasons, go.

UNVOTE: DeathRowKitty
VOTE: chamber
Kublai Khan
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Khan Man

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:14 am

Post by Kublai Khan »

In post 22, Fishythefish wrote:Fishy puns are hilarious and original.

There's that sarcasm thing I like.

In post 29, mith wrote:KK: I like your posting so far, but I wouldn't go so far as to say I have a "strong" read on you - I don't believe I've played with you before, for one thing.

So you'll follow a gut scum read on minutia but not a gut town read on minutia?

In post 36, PJ. wrote:This interaction between fishy and mith is striking me as distancing.

So you think that they might both be scum, but you're championing the wagon that one of them started?

I'm willing to hammer yet (page 2 and all). But panzerjager needs to explain himself.
Occasionally intellectually honest

Black Lives Matter
Get vaccinated
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:02 am

Post by PJ. »

It's a random wagon. I don't care who I wagon. It's page 2. I don't know if fishy and mith are both scum but i'm slightly leanign that way

I would wagon myself but that's a hammer
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
Katsuki
Katsuki
Cupcake
Katsuki
Cupcake
Cupcake

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:43 am

Post by Katsuki »

In post 45, mith wrote:
Katsuki: Are you always this lurkerish?

I'm usually more lurkerish. I've simply been nonparticipant thus far.
Fluffy fluffy~~~ |
- GreyICE

C
u
p
c
a
k
e
M
a
f
i
a
I
I
Katsuki
Katsuki
Cupcake
Katsuki
Cupcake
Cupcake

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:44 am

Post by Katsuki »

I also echo KK's desire to hammer.
Fluffy fluffy~~~ |
- GreyICE

C
u
p
c
a
k
e
M
a
f
i
a