Magic: The Gathering,GO TEAM MS!

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #2100 (ISO) » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:21 pm

Post by chamber »

In post 2099, Nuwen wrote:Whooooops.

Played Soul Ransom illegally at an official tournament at least a dozen times. Even one of the judges seemed to acknowledge the effect as-played though. If nothing else it proves that true conviction can do ANYTHING.

The card is worded extremely poorly. Level 1 judges don't know anything (store owners tend to know even less).
Taking a break from the site.
NabakovNabakov
NabakovNabakov
LalitaLalita
NabakovNabakov
LalitaLalita
LalitaLalita

Post Post #2101 (ISO) » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:24 pm

Post by NabakovNabakov »

In post 2091, Thestatusquo wrote:I don't think I've ever disagreed with magic analysis quite as much as I disagree with what Nabnab just said. Strategies such as the one he is describing only have utility at a very base level. If I am taking such a deck to a tournament, and my decks power relies on my opponents not understanding the interactions well enough to play correctly, then I will beat bad opponents some large percentage of the time and I will lose to good opponents some large percentage of the time. However, if I am playing tight, with a deck with a reasonable power level without any absolutely horrendously bad matchups and a solid side board plan for those matchups which are unfavorable, I will also beat the bad players some large percentage of the time, without having to resort to smoke and mirrors, and, I will by the same token have vastly improved my matchups against the good players.

Since I am, I think, pretty good at magic, I would much rather the barrier for beating me be "Play magic better than I do" instead of "see through my gimmicks."

Your way of playing Magic sounds like less fun. After all, the only level of utility that counts is the base level.

Also, we now have a ton of evidence that Soul Ransom causes legitimate confusion not just in a "This is new, and I don't know how to optimally respond to it" type of way, but in a "I got a pronoun mixed up when reading this card and actually thought it did something completely different" type of way. Ultimately, my comment wasn't about how awesome it was to catch people off-guard with Soul Ransom, it was about how stupid the wording was that Nuwen was able to go through an entire tournament playing the card wrong.
Show
"Shut up!" one woman shouted at another.

"You shut up!" the second woman shouted back.

"I agree with NN"
-Yosarian2
Fate
Fate
:HAPPY:
Fate

Post Post #2102 (ISO) » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:31 pm

Post by Fate »

SHEA DOESNT PLAY MAGIC FOR FUN YOU FOOL

HE.

PLAYS.

TO.

WIN.
Fate is absurdly beautiful. 運命に弄ばれる
"Fate you keep alternating between narratives of doing it for fun and doing it for the sake of winning"
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #2103 (ISO) » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:24 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Winning is fun.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2104 (ISO) » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:43 pm

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 2103, Sudo_Nym wrote:Winning is fun.

Yep. But not winning isn't inherently not fun.
jdodge1019: hasjghsalghsakljghs is from vermont
jdodge1019: vermont is made of liberal freaks and cows
jdodge1019: he's not a liberal
jdodge1019: thus he is a cow
AGar
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #2105 (ISO) » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:20 pm

Post by AGar »

It's not about winning or losing, it's about having fun.

There's just no fun in losing.
Ski mask? Check! Sawed off? Check! Guilty conscience, fear of death? Check! Check! Check!

Get to know me. Or don't. I won't tell you what to do. I'm not God. Or your father. Or your boss.
bv310
bv310
Mafia Scum
bv310
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2106 (ISO) » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:04 pm

Post by bv310 »

I play EDH for fun (and to play with my goddamned Fable of Wolf and Owl). Standard and Modern are for being vaguely competitive. That's my style, anyway. Everyone's play will be different.
NabakovNabakov
NabakovNabakov
LalitaLalita
NabakovNabakov
LalitaLalita
LalitaLalita

Post Post #2107 (ISO) » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:26 pm

Post by NabakovNabakov »

Abyssal Persecutor + Platinum Angel say that simultaneously not winning AND not losing is the
most
fun.
Show

"I agree with NN"
-Yosarian2
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #2108 (ISO) » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:42 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

If that's why you're playing magic, why don't you just play tick tack toe instead. It's much quicker.
tout comprendre c'est tout pardonner
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #2109 (ISO) » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:48 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

Also, I would agree with the commentary that "fun" and "winning" are not somehow exclusive, but are completely linked. Do you really have fun when you get outplayed at magic? I don't. It's an abysmal feeling to lose, and anyone who says it doesn't impact their fun negatively? Well, that's outside of my frame of reference I guess.

I play lots of things that I am not great at, but the urge to win is still the basic driving force behind any game play, right? Like, if we're not playing to win then why bother playing a competitive game at all? Why don't we play dominion to see if we can get one player to get all the provinces? Why don't we just all try to get one player the longest road we possibly can in Settlers? It's because those practices inherently do not provide the basic tension that makes game play interesting. I like interesting interactions and complex decks better than most people, and in fact if I had my druthers I'd run storm combo every single tournament I am in. (the decision trees! oh, the decision trees!) But losing with an interesting and outlandish deck just is not more fun than winning with a boring normal one. It's just not.
AGar
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2110 (ISO) » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:11 am

Post by AGar »

I didn't peg you as someone with any
Timmy
Johnny tendencies Shea.

E: Helps if I remember which is which.
Last edited by AGar on Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ski mask? Check! Sawed off? Check! Guilty conscience, fear of death? Check! Check! Check!

Get to know me. Or don't. I won't tell you what to do. I'm not God. Or your father. Or your boss.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2111 (ISO) » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:52 am

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 2109, Thestatusquo wrote:Also, I would agree with the commentary that "fun" and "winning" are not somehow exclusive, but are completely linked. Do you really have fun when you get outplayed at magic? I don't. It's an abysmal feeling to lose, and anyone who says it doesn't impact their fun negatively? Well, that's outside of my frame of reference I guess.

I play lots of things that I am not great at, but the urge to win is still the basic driving force behind any game play, right? Like, if we're not playing to win then why bother playing a competitive game at all? Why don't we play dominion to see if we can get one player to get all the provinces? Why don't we just all try to get one player the longest road we possibly can in Settlers? It's because those practices inherently do not provide the basic tension that makes game play interesting. I like interesting interactions and complex decks better than most people, and in fact if I had my druthers I'd run storm combo every single tournament I am in. (the decision trees! oh, the decision trees!) But losing with an interesting and outlandish deck just is not more fun than winning with a boring normal one. It's just not.

But I don't have fun winning because my opponent doesn't play a spell. I have fun when Magic feels like a battle of wits and the decisions actually matter. I drafted on Tuesday at work, and had way more fun losing g1 of round 2 because there were always decisions to make as opposed to g1 round 1 where I rolled because my opponent had nothing. Winning is more fun than losing, but losing doesn't mean you didn't have fun.
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #2112 (ISO) » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:15 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

You're making a false comparison. I too prefer good magic to bad magic. But when you're comparing losing a game with complex interactions to winning a game that wasn't really a game of magic, you're comparing apples to oranges. A much more illustrative question is do you prefer to win a game where one player doesn't actually get to play magic, or lose such a game?
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2113 (ISO) » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:14 am

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 2112, Thestatusquo wrote:You're making a false comparison. I too prefer good magic to bad magic. But when you're comparing losing a game with complex interactions to winning a game that wasn't really a game of magic, you're comparing apples to oranges. A much more illustrative question is do you prefer to win a game where one player doesn't actually get to play magic, or lose such a game?

I prefer winning. Like I said, I always prefer winning to losing, but losing doesn't mean you didn't have fun.
NabakovNabakov
NabakovNabakov
LalitaLalita
NabakovNabakov
LalitaLalita
LalitaLalita

Post Post #2114 (ISO) » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:22 pm

Post by NabakovNabakov »

If I had the disposable income, I
would
run that Persecutor/Angel combo just to get it on the field and (attempt to) protect it to the bitter end. It's not a draw, and so long as you're not playing in a time-limited format, you end up with an eternal game. Even after everyone draws their last card, walks away, and (eventually) dies, the game is still going. Forever. And that is
awesome

I'd also like to run an 'architecture' deck composed entirely of gates, walls, and the Door to Nothingness. Can it win? Yes, technically. Will it win? Probably not. But I'll still get to play my dumb little deck and laugh my ass off, and my opponent gets to win. So in a sense, win-win. But I don't even need fancy cards or decks to enjoy myself while losing. I'll discard a 7-card hand to a Barbarian Bully, just to see the look on my roommate's face. I'll play Manabarbs whenever, wherever, because that card is
hilarious
. If I played enough Catan, I'm sure I'd end up being that guy who only wants to make his roads into smiley face or gathers sheep to the exclusion of all other resources (because seriously? Sheep?).

In short, as much as Magic is a game, it can also just be a toy.
Show

"I agree with NN"
-Yosarian2
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #2115 (ISO) » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:26 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

You sir, are a strange person.
kdowns
kdowns
He
Goddammit
kdowns
He
Goddammit
Goddammit
Pronoun: He

Post Post #2116 (ISO) » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:35 pm

Post by kdowns »

I was going through Star City Dallas the one I went to back in Janurary, and then I saw this http://starcitygames.com/scglive/files/ ... 00000.html

How many people can say they were in first place at one point in a major tournament.
AGar
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2117 (ISO) » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:03 pm

Post by AGar »

In post 2115, Thestatusquo wrote:You sir, are a strange person.

He's just an extreme Johnny.

AGar
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2118 (ISO) » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:22 pm

Post by AGar »

Bad Standard combo I REEEEEALLLY wanna try:

Breeding Pool
Galvanic Alchemist + Arbor Elf with Illusionist's Bracers equipped.
Mind Grind.

Create 30ish mana.

Mind Grind your opponent.

Win the game.

InflatablePie
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
Accept When They Do
Pronoun: they / them

Post Post #2119 (ISO) » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:05 pm

Post by InflatablePie »

AGar: Infinity on a Budget

Not sure if that's where you got the idea or not. Either way, as someone who piloted a Primal Surge/Lab Maniac deck, I wanna try this. I don't have the mana-base (the harbors anyway) but I don't suppose it's THAT necessary.

Also I feel like Alchemist's Refuge would be okay as a two-of here for SURPRISE FLASH DOUBLE LAB MANIAC HUE
If you don't know how to lie, then how do you know when you're being lied to?

No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible.
AGar
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2120 (ISO) » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:34 am

Post by AGar »

In post 2119, InflatablePie wrote:AGar: Infinity on a Budget

Not sure if that's where you got the idea or not. Either way, as someone who piloted a Primal Surge/Lab Maniac deck, I wanna try this. I don't have the mana-base (the harbors anyway) but I don't suppose it's THAT necessary.

Also I feel like Alchemist's Refuge would be okay as a two-of here for SURPRISE FLASH DOUBLE LAB MANIAC HUE

Yeah Infinity on a Budget is where I got the idea for the Breeding Pool/Galvanic Alchemist/Arbor Elf/Bracers half of it.

But I like mill (I'm potentially running a cobbled together mill deck tonight at FNM depending on what time I get done with work) and grind is a cool effect and I saw Mind Grind in an article and was like "Oooh, I could have fun with that," and I was trying to work out a BUG ramp list to make it work.

Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #2121 (ISO) » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:54 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

Anyone who won their first round at a big tournament? You were tied with 268 other people.
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #2122 (ISO) » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:07 am

Post by chamber »

In post 2121, Thestatusquo wrote:Anyone who won their first round at a big tournament? You were tied with 268 other people.

He was technically in first. At that point the tiebreaker being used is order you signed up in I believe.
Taking a break from the site.
InflatablePie
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
Accept When They Do

Post Post #2123 (ISO) » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:28 am

Post by InflatablePie »

After looking at a ton of different budget decks (since the ones I have were kinda meh, and are worse after GTC), I want to try and play Standard Elves.

This is what I'm thinking. Obviously I need two more Breeding Pools (and maybe the Harbors, but I don't want to invest $40+ in something that's rotating out and may not be reprinted that doesn't see much play in older formats).

InflatablePie
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
Accept When They Do

Post Post #2124 (ISO) » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:48 am

Post by InflatablePie »

Also: what's the P1P1 here?

Spoiler: p1p1

I wanna say Kingpin's Pet is a solid choice, but idk...

Return to “The Arcade”