Magic: The Gathering,GO TEAM MS!

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #2125 (ISO) » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:56 am

Post by chamber »

Thats what I take from that pack.
Taking a break from the site.
Gammagooey
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter

Gammagooey
Glad Hatter

Glad Hatter

Post Post #2126 (ISO) » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:59 am

Post by Gammagooey »

i'd go legion loyalist
boros v. good, and surprise trample-haste-first strike for all your dudes is also pretty good
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #2127 (ISO) » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:21 am

Post by chamber »

In post 2126, Gammagooey wrote:i'd go legion loyalist
boros v. good, and surprise trample-haste-first strike for all your dudes is also pretty good

Eh. Imo loyalist is only ok and not very exciting in boros. And is pretty unplayable unless you end up very aggressive. I think I'd take the drake wing krasis before the loyalist, and still stand by kings pin before both.
Voodoo Lady
Voodoo Lady
Goon
Voodoo Lady
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2128 (ISO) » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:40 pm

Post by Voodoo Lady »

Kingpin's Pet would be my choice because I love drafting Orzhov decks. But Ivy Lane Denizen is cool too.

Not Pongify is going to be interesting drafted alongside populate.
AGar
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #2129 (ISO) » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:35 pm

Post by AGar »

Kingpin Pet.

Card is goood.

So first FNM tonight.

Got out of work early so I headed down and got there in time for the 3 o'clock stuff. Draft didn't fire so I played a free Standard tournament with a cobbled-together-the-night-before mill deck. Went 0-3. Won 1 game where I managed to get my Undead Alchemist going really well. The game before I took a Rakdos' Revenge for 20 to the face out of a 4-color deck. Lesson learned: Attack the Lilliana BEFORE she can ultimate. But I got a foil Farseek and Skyknight Legionnaire as random door prizes.

Draft fired at 6. I didn't draft as well as I could've but I didn't think I drafted terribly. Ended up in Dimir running mill again (I really like mill...) because it was fairly open. First match I got paired against the other guy playing Dimir. Game 1 I got mana flooded like a baus, and he also had a Nightveil Specter with Call of the Nightwing and a Sage's Row Denizen raping my face repeatedly. Game 2 I managed to cipher 2 Paranoid Delusions onto one of my guys and just kept grinding him down effectively and won it. Game 3 we got into a race, his beats against my mill. Unfortunately, my mill was missing (hitting all lands and spells, no creatures) and his Basilica Screecher + Call had my back against the wall and by the time I was able to actually get Death's Approach off, he had me down to one. I scooped with 5 lands down and a Mind Grind in my hand. Had I cast it, I would've milled him down to two. >_> Second match Gruul just rocked my shit because Bloodrush is insane. That and G2 I stalled at 4 mana with a TON of cards in his graveyard and a Consuming Aberration in my hand. Womp.

Overall, had a great time and I'm gonna go back again. A few guys tossed some mill cards my way that they didn't want/need, and one dude was unloading dice and gave me 8 so now I have things to use as counters.
Ski mask? Check! Sawed off? Check! Guilty conscience, fear of death? Check! Check! Check!

Get to know me. Or don't. I won't tell you what to do. I'm not God. Or your father. Or your boss.
hitogoroshi
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Post Post #2130 (ISO) » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:03 pm

Post by hitogoroshi »

Isn't mill sort of a trap in Limited? It feels like it's really hard to pull off when you're just kind of taking what comes.
"Don’t buy a dozen eggs if you just want a hardboiled egg. Don’t buy a head of lettuce if you just want a salad. Don’t buy eggs and lettuce if you want egg salad because those are not the right ingredients." -Julius Bloop
Fate
Fate
:HAPPY:
Fate

Post Post #2131 (ISO) » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:08 pm

Post by Fate »

FP Ripscale predator, shit has MADCAPSKILLS BUILT IN YO

Kingpin's pet may be good, but if you let someone get drakweing and go simic you'll get ****ed by simic as orzhov.

Hell I'd take the Rapid Hybridization.

Loyalist is p. trashy without his rancor, but with bloodrush i guess maybe sure he could maybe sure....yeah no.
Fate is absurdly beautiful. 運命に弄ばれる
"Fate you keep alternating between narratives of doing it for fun and doing it for the sake of winning"
bv310
bv310
Mafia Scum
bv310
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2132 (ISO) » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:10 pm

Post by bv310 »

4-1 at Standard FNM tonight for the 4th or 5th week running. Still fighting to make my deck work , but it's getting more consistent at killing.
Fate
Fate
Fate

Post Post #2133 (ISO) » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:12 pm

Post by Fate »

In post 2130, hitogoroshi wrote:Isn't mill sort of a trap in Limited? It feels like it's really hard to pull off when you're just kind of taking what comes.

As a sole win con yeah

But Wizards designed dimir with Wight's of precinct 6, aberratoins, death's approach etc. to give them double.

ALSO:

Another awesome interaction with nuwen's deck has been found:

Shadow Slice+Guttersnipe.

If she has a dragon out (ok we're stretching into win-more, but this comes more often than you might think against midrange):

Swing with dragon. They don't block cause its only 4 damage and they don't want to lose their resto angel:

INSTANT SPEEED CIPHER BITCH. TAKE 14.

huehuheuheuheuheuheuheuheuheuheuhue

Dont ninja me damnt bv.

Went 3-0 tonight with my Gruul Ragehammer deck. SMASH=WINGAMES. Most notable win was against Bant midrange that managed a turn 4/5 Angel of serenity G1, I came back with a vengeance and fought through endless thrags.
"Fate you keep alternating between narratives of doing it for fun and doing it for the sake of winning"
AGar
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2134 (ISO) » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:39 pm

Post by AGar »

In post 2130, hitogoroshi wrote:Isn't mill sort of a trap in Limited? It feels like it's really hard to pull off when you're just kind of taking what comes.

Usually it can be, but Dimir makes it more accessible with things like cypher and shit like Aberration. Literally had I hit my fifth land drop, I win that second game and force G3 in my second match. First match if I get Death's Approach sooner, I probably come out ahead in that game as well and likely win.
Ski mask? Check! Sawed off? Check! Guilty conscience, fear of death? Check! Check! Check!

Get to know me. Or don't. I won't tell you what to do. I'm not God. Or your father. Or your boss.
NabakovNabakov
NabakovNabakov
LalitaLalita
NabakovNabakov
LalitaLalita
LalitaLalita

Post Post #2135 (ISO) » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:19 pm

Post by NabakovNabakov »

In post 2133, Fate wrote:

Another awesome interaction with nuwen's deck has been found:

Shadow Slice+Guttersnipe.

If she has a dragon out (ok we're stretching into win-more, but this comes more often than you might think against midrange):

Swing with dragon. They don't block cause its only 4 damage and they don't want to lose their resto angel:

INSTANT SPEEED CIPHER BITCH. TAKE 14.

huehuheuheuheuheuheuheuheuheuheuhue

Hold the phone. While I think Shadow Slice is a surprisingly effective card and combos well with Guttersnipe, it's a sorcery, so I don't see how you're playing it between blocks and combat damage. (But yeah, any cipher + Guttersnipe can be a killer combo if you have the creatures for it. Nuwen's deck would probably need some serious restructuring to make that work well.)

Also, built-in Madcap Skills is worse than plain old Madcaps. When played on your 1 or 2 drop, Madcap Skills is often good for some sick, essentially unblockable damage (I once had an opponent Duress out an Assemble the Legion over Madcap Skills. He paid dearly for his foolishness). But by the time you're on your sixth land, the effectiveness of that ability is much smaller, and there are plenty of other auras I'd prefer come baked into my creatures.
Show
"Shut up!" one woman shouted at another.

"You shut up!" the second woman shouted back.

"I agree with NN"
-Yosarian2
Nuwen
Nuwen
Mafia Scum
Nuwen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2136 (ISO) » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:00 am

Post by Nuwen »

hypersonic dragon lets you play shadow slice at instant speed, so you can cast it after someone declares no blocks or whatever. I think it's a pretty lulzy amount of burst damage, but shadow slice doesn't really earn a card slot when I have access to toolbox cards/utility removal/card draw or filter. Getting to turn 6 w/ 5 mana, dragon AND guttersnipe out on the board is pretty unrealistic for my deck.
So high, so low, so many things to know.
aim:gochat?roomname=ScumChat&Exchange=5
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #2137 (ISO) » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:39 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

The pick is kingpin's pet, and its not even particularly close.
tout comprendre c'est tout pardonner
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #2138 (ISO) » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:44 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

This is true of literally any archetype or strategy if you put the name of the format before limited in your first sentence. Mill is totally viable in certain formats, and it's not even close in some others. I haven't lost to a mill deck yet in this format in about 30 drafts, if that is what you're asking. However, in m13 I routinely forced mill and had something like an 70% win percentage in 8-4s with it.
bv310
bv310
Mafia Scum
bv310
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2139 (ISO) » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:55 am

Post by bv310 »

Friends Block has a name:

Theros
Born of the Gods
Journey into Nyx

Looks to be Greco-Roman themed
Fate
Fate
Fate

Post Post #2140 (ISO) » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:31 am

Post by Fate »

Ruric-Thar, the Unbowed RG4

Vigilance, Reach. Ruric-thar, the Unbowed attacks each turn if able. Whenever a player plays a noncreature spell, Ruric-Thar, the Unbowed deals 6 damage to that player.

6/6

GRUUL ZEALOT SMASH

GRUUL ZEALOT SAY YOU NO CAST FANCY SPELLS

SPHINXS FOR WHAT?

-3?

THOUGHT SO
Fate
Fate
Fate

Post Post #2141 (ISO) » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:33 am

Post by Fate »

I'd rather him have HASTE+reach though

what is this vigilance shit in my colors
Voodoo Lady
Voodoo Lady
Goon
Voodoo Lady
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2142 (ISO) » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:55 am

Post by Voodoo Lady »

I'm still baffled why vigilance isn't a white/blue thing and reach isn't a white/green thing.

Also, I'm absolutely in love with Teysa's new art. I hope her new card is as good as her old one.
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #2143 (ISO) » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:16 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

It's possibly because in the color pie each color is distinct, so thinking of it in terms of color combinations makes no sense. Why is vigilance make sense for blue? Why does reach make sense for white? Unless soldiers can jump really high, I don't see how it does.
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #2144 (ISO) » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:34 am

Post by chamber »

In post 2143, Thestatusquo wrote:It's possibly because in the color pie each color is distinct, so thinking of it in terms of color combinations makes no sense. Why is vigilance make sense for blue? Why does reach make sense for white? Unless soldiers can jump really high, I don't see how it does.

I think reach IS secondary in white, and that its typically depicted through archers.
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #2145 (ISO) » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:59 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

I can't recall the last time I saw a white creature with reach. White typically just gets flying, I thought.
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #2146 (ISO) » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:07 am

Post by chamber »

In post 2145, Thestatusquo wrote:I can't recall the last time I saw a white creature with reach. White typically just gets flying, I thought.

Just went through gatherer quickly and white definitely has the 2nd most number of creatures with reach. Most modern examples are white/green(and not archers). Very recently both green/black and green/red have gotten a reach creature, relatively recently white/greens gotten 4.
NabakovNabakov
NabakovNabakov
LalitaLalita
NabakovNabakov
LalitaLalita
LalitaLalita

Post Post #2147 (ISO) » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:32 am

Post by NabakovNabakov »

In post 2141, Fate wrote:I'd rather him have HASTE+reach though

what is this vigilance shit in my colors

Vigilance + Reach does go well with the 'unbowed' flavor. Also, Reach would be useless without Vigilance when you factor in the 'attacks every turn if able' bit.
Show
"Shut up!" one woman shouted at another.

"You shut up!" the second woman shouted back.

"I agree with NN"
-Yosarian2
Voodoo Lady
Voodoo Lady
Goon
Voodoo Lady
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2148 (ISO) » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:41 pm

Post by Voodoo Lady »

Reach would also make sense in red, given that it's the color of giants and gets some flying hate.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #2149 (ISO) » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:53 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Yeah, but Reach is a defensive ability, and Red has always been about a more aggressive defense. Red's flying hate usually takes the form of stuff like Flametongue Kavu.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.

Return to “The Arcade”