Newbie 1378 - Game Over! (Town Wins)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
enomis
enomis
Mafia Scum
enomis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #825 (ISO) » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:26 am

Post by enomis »

Actually, i was laughing when you gave your approval for the hammer on your wagon, ucrit went to hammer straight.

And you said, although i gave you the approval.....

LOL.
"you must prove more patient than a caterpillar, more willing to survive than a cockroach, and more stubborn than a leech - or you will definitely fail" - Counselor Rodriguez, the Star of Wisdom

Homertve: "Oh, and by the way, your tail is on fire."
Lucky2u
Lucky2u
Jack of All Trades
Lucky2u
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #826 (ISO) » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:33 am

Post by Lucky2u »

I actually had alot of fun with my death, as you saw from my twilight post. Also the dead QT was pretty friendly. Me, Mattel, and Ucrit were shooting the shit about that last day for the longest time.
The bunny knight reigns supreme!
Get to know me! Here! and now Here too!
mastin2
mastin2
The Second Coming
mastin2
The Second Coming
The Second Coming

Post Post #827 (ISO) » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:37 am

Post by mastin2 »

In post 805, enomis wrote:And 15hours later...
Technically, I said I was beginning to work on it after those hours were over. Which was true.

And Linxie was right in one way--I
was
stalling, but not for time: for Linxie to come in and give me as many hints as I could get on how to best sway him, as detailed in the scum QT. Stalling for time is stupid when I'm going to be the one lynched. Stalling for time is only a valid strategy when you are
not
being lynched.

The truth is that I fell asleep (again from exhaustion) before I could get it started, but was coming to this thread today in order to work on it. (I was serious when I said I had no other obligation, but I didn't say it'd be posted Friday. Just that I was beginning to work on it then, and
that
was true; if you read the timestamps in the mafia QT, you'll see that every time I claimed I was working on it, I WAS...via my detailed descriptions on how to best manipulate Linxie.)

Anyway, writeups in a bit.
My academy.
"...You have a blog?!?" (Yes, I do. Click.)
Agnigi
, 13p Mini Theme sequel to Gistou, is in design and could use reviewers!
mastin2
mastin2
The Second Coming
mastin2
The Second Coming
The Second Coming

Post Post #828 (ISO) » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:46 am

Post by mastin2 »

In post 821, enomis wrote:WTF. Why is the scum qt filled with mastin walls. I don't even want to read it. Mastin, what you doing with the scum qt?
Teaching. Ranting. Rambling. Strategizing. Take your pick. :P

They're good reads for the most part, though. While I
was
incredibly
manipulative with my posts in-thread, you can see a lot of the true thoughts in the scum QT, and get an insight into my mind, and why I did what I did, along with nuggets of wisdom for newbies, some of which will be in my writeup.

And, triton, were you serious in that had I not killed you, you'd have voted with me? I picked up a comment of you lynching the survivor of Linxie/enomis, which'd mean you'd have sided with me. I killed you specifically because I thought that you'd stick to your guns and
not
do that. :P
My academy.
Agnigi
Lucky2u
Lucky2u
Jack of All Trades
Lucky2u
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #829 (ISO) » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:08 am

Post by Lucky2u »

You didn't really have good choices to kill. A ucrit/Linnie or ucrit/enomis day seems like an uphill battle either way.
mastin2
mastin2
The Second Coming
mastin2
The Second Coming
The Second Coming

Post Post #830 (ISO) » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:08 am

Post by mastin2 »

As promised, the writeup:

Radiant:
Get your emotions under control, and you can actually be a decent player. This game would have been a complete town steamroll if you had lived and been able to protect mattel, but your "sacrifice" ended up crippling the town.

I have to give credit where credit is due: you managed to correctly single out a scum player, but know that suicide runs will almost never work in your favor--the ONLY reason it worked this game is because there was a cop guilty on Jason. That guilty being absent would have caused you to be totally ignored, and allowed Jason to get away completely and totally unharmed.

What you need to do in order to make sure your target gets lynched is not to lynch yourself, but to be a little manipulative. I don't mean "play PR like you'd play scum" manipulative, but what I mean is generally, you need to
-Keep calm.
-Keep yourself rational. Logical's a bonus, too.
-Bargain with players.
-Talk to them.
-Which, boiled down, is basically using charisma.

You need to try and get your scumread lynched
first
, not yourself. There
is
value in letting yourself be lynched to cast suspicion onto a strong scumread of yours, but it's basically a last-resort, and you never want to self-hammer. You cut discussion of the day short with your self-hammer, discussion time which could have been used to
-Talk your way out of a lynch,
-Give more reasons why Jason was scum,
-Give you more chances to talk with other players and--critically--what their reads would be after your townflip,
-And, basically, to do the bartering you tried to do after you had self-hammered.

You need to recognize that most players on the site won't so much as glance the iso of lynched town, least of all, self-hammering lynched town. :P In order for the sacrifice to be worth it, you need to make them think that--despite being lynched--you were on to something.

In essence...you had the right idea (that you can get your reads applied after your death), but the wrong execution.

For instance, at L-1, if you claimed doctor, you'd have instantly held leverage over others. You could have exploited that. You could have maximized your towncred from it, and made those on your wagon (both scum were present!) look like scum. But your self-hammer removed that.

Also, you might want to tweak your logic. Town players (even veteran ones) will see other town players as scum, since townies say scummy stuff. It's
generally
a safe assumption that a near-lynch wagon on you contains scum, but it's far from assured.

I'd instead recommend that you look into the mind-set of the players voting you. Why was I voting you? (Well, 'cause I was scum and needed a lynch. :P But you'd have to consider why I was on there.) Why was Lucky on there? (He had a scumread.) Why was triton on there? If you can get into the mind of the player, you can get a better grounding.

Basically, Jason was scum on your wagon, but not "because he-as-town would know better". A more accurate version would be "his logic for thinking I'm scum is weak and inconsistent, and I think he's scum wanting a mislynch" or something to that effect. (If you look, Jason's posts involving you waffled a lot. There's town waffling, and scum waffling, generally boiling down to that same concept: mindset. Town-waffling is fueled by self-doubt and paranoia. Scum-waffling is fueled by opportunism. Compare Lucky's posts with you to Jason's. Lucky's have doubt, Jason's have a more sudden switch.)

Sorry that I don't have more concrete advice, since, well...you died early. I can give you some pointers, but I didn't get a solid chance to nail down your posting.

Nul:
There's a reason we killed you N1, and that's because you're a damn-strong player as you are. :P

You were being logical, rational, and (a biggie) you were looking at interactions between players. As scum, this is something that I fear more than almost anything else; having the wrong interaction with a player can make the difference between victory and defeat, if a player's looking at interactions, which you were.

I do have one piece of advice: there's a fine line between confidence and arrogance. Confidence is having the facts on your side and displaying them with energy. Arrogance is assuming your viewpoint is infallible and that there's no way you could be wrong. :P

Basically, my golden rule: the reads should fit the evidence, and the evidence shouldn't fit the reads. You displayed some minor confirmation bias with Lucky, and basically the entirety of your iso was devoted to him being scum, when ultimately, he wasn't. This had an incredibly damaging effect on your reads, because you were actually dangerously close to getting things right.

Had you stepped back from things, re-evaluated them, and considered things, you stood a real chance of catching us. (Hence, why you died. :P) You were right on your townread of Radiant, but you were focused so strongly on Lucky that it made it much easier for Jason and I to escape your scrutiny. You had an FoS against me, which was pretty much entirely forgotten, and the reason is people would skim your iso and think, "Oh, it's all saying the same thing, that Lucky is scum; there's not much else to see", when there
was

Essentially, you need to use your attacks in moderation, and be a little more open to alternative points of view.

Jason:
Again, sorry for the bus, mate. :P It was, in hindsight, a big freakin' huge mistake, butyeah, I think you played excellently overall. Pretty much the only piece of advice I have is that if you're going to 'crumb being a cop, make sure you're 'crumbing harder than the
actual cop
. :P
And I guess also watch the wifom after your lynch. I didn't need that--I knew mattel was the cop, so didn't need you to draw him out. Your wifom actually helped triton more than it helped me, giving him ammo to make himself appear town.

mattel:
What can I say, you played well. You were two-for-two investigation-wise. Okay, I guess I do have pieces of advice:
-If you're going to claim cop, claim cop. If you're going to leave breadcrumbs that you're a cop, make them subtle breadcrumbs to you being the cop. Don't try to take a middle ground where you're blatantly obvious to the scum as being a cop, but not to the town. :P As you could tell, that gave me a fair bit of ammo to use in my defense and attacks, because I was able to position myself favorably thanks to the way you had claimed.

If you had actually claimed cop, my switch to Jason would have been seen as null, if not scummy. Or if you had 'crumbed more subtly so that I couldn't tell you were a cop, you could have positioned yourself far more favorably, where you could have, say, dodged the nightkill and in lylo spring a double-guilty, along with all your breadcrumbs to show you had it.

-We have a rule against talking to players outside the thread. Even when one player is dead. It can still end up compromising games, and it's not something allowed without explicit moderator permission to do so, and most moderators will tell you not to; it's a site-wide rule.

Lucky2u:
I'm not really that qualified to tell you how to improve. I didn't really have much suspicion on you in the game. Most of the "suspicion" on you came from the things Nul pointed out, in combination with how Jason interacted with ya. If I was town, I suppose it's possible I'd have paranoia about you being scum at some points, but I most likely as town would have had you as a townread. :P So I can't really point out much for your improvement.

I guess I think one of the main things is focus--you're, ah...kinda chaotic and unorganized with your posting. While there
is
a certain value in "stream of consciousness" posting (in that it helps make your thoughts look genuine), it often has the unfortunate side-effect of making you be a much harder to follow.

Essentially, some level of editing in your posting process would probably help you. If you can minimize your fluff and increase your focus, you'll be able to better hone in on key points.

Basically, my advice to you is opposite my advice to Nul--whereas Nul needs to look at things a little more generally, you could probably benefit from looking at things a little more specifically. I think one thing leading to your mislynch was that your posts didn't have a lot of staying power. They didn't have much of an influence.

So, I think that if you manage to assemble your thoughts and structure them in a way others can more clearly follow, you'll be able to make a stronger impact.

Among those things being not allowing yourself to get distracted on the defensive front. There's value to defending yourself (especially in lylo--see also, why I lost this game :P), but it should be done INCREDIBLY conservatively. You don't want to ignore a player, but you don't want to spend all your time defending yourself from them.

I can sum this up with one piece of advice: redirection. You want to address the concerns of those who are suspicious of you, while also showing where you stand. It's similar to the advice I gave Radiant in that regard: talk to them, see where they stand, and see if you can compromise and get to a common ground.

Triton:
Not really much to say to ya, buddy. You played well, and are already a fairly good scumhunter. I do think you could use a tweak in your technique, though. Your case against me on D3 was essentially "gut plus OMGUS" (later added "Mastin lied!", though as I pointed out, it wasn't a willful lie; I truthfully just misremembered). While gut
is
a valuable tool (and was correct), you can't rely on it. If you made that argument in a game with more experienced players, they'd be likely to ignore you or even lynch you.

What you really needed to do is explore
why
you had that gut feeling I was scum. I touched upon the subject in the mafia QT, but generally, gut and logic are far closer related than people think; there's typically a damn-good reason your instincts tell you something, and you'll be a much, MUCH better scumhunter if you can hone in on exactly what that is.

Also, don't use logical fallacies you know to be incorrect. :P There's a difference between "investigating why you have a gut feeling" and "BS'ing a justification for the gut feeling". :P In particular, 653 was pretty dang bad, and you should know it. STATIC reads are generally considered to be far more of a scumtell than EVOLVING reads, which are generally far more town in appearance. A much better argument to make is the REASONS I switched to those players in the 500 posts, which would be a much better basis because my switches were heavily opportunistic in nature.
That
argument would have been valid; vote switching itself is not.

Also also, you suck at reading emotions. :P As scum, I'm never more calm than during times when most scum are panicking. When things go WELL for me-as-scum, I panic. When things go POORLY for me-as-scum, I'm relaxed. Calm, cool, collected, though a bit excited and later totally enthralled in the game. (I meant it; I got an adrenaline rush every time I entered battle with you.)

Another piece of advice I have is to try and talk more to others. You were talking basically to thin air in the majority of your posts. You did make some remarks specifically to enomis, lucky, and linxie, but not nearly enough. Your approach to battling me gave enomis a way to read our fight as townVtown, something I WAS exploiting. (I knew that if I couldn't get you lynched, I could at least make damn-sure that I wasn't lynched because of you. Having our fight perceived as townVtown was one way of accomplishing that, and it worked; instead of the game ending with my lynch, the town mislynched Lucky.)

enomis:
A good call to make in lylo, but your handling of it was rather reckless. This is one instance where thinking like scum would have been helpful. Going into the day, I was something like 55/45 or 60/40 on who I was planning to attack, in LINXIE's favor. Imagine if Linxie and I had crossvoted and you were as sure as you were that I was scum. BAM, instant town win. Instead, you jumping in and carelessly voting me helped to extend the battle and give me quite-justified leverage against you, especially since Linxie came into the day with a scumread on me and you voting me is exactly what a scum-enomis would have done given Linxie's read on me.

Overall, your approach to the game was good! You were cautious, you were logical, and you were rational. But in lylo, you threw that all out in favor of a reckless gambit. It paid off this game, but if you acted like that in most lylo games, it'd end very badly for you. So my one piece of advice would be to maintain your (quite solid!) approach throughout the game. The inconsistency gave me ammo, after all, to use against ya.

Linxie:
You have a good gut. Trust in it a little bit more is about all I can say. My advice to triton using his gut applies to you as well; you may have a good gut, but when you're not the deciding vote as you were this game, that gut of yours won't do much to convince other players that you're right.

So, like with triton, my advice is to try and figure out
why
you have the gut read you do. Don't invent explanations for it. Try to figure out and rationalize what could be causing your read, and then do a mental evaluation of what you've found. First off, ask yourself: "Is that really the reason I have this gut read, or am I just BS'ing myself?" If the former, proceed to this: "Does it have merit to it?" And if so, "How strong is it?" And such. If not, evaluate your gut: is it wrong (and if so, evaluate why--it is often confirmation bias), or is it just that what you thought was the reason you have it, not actually the reason you have it?

That's why I say that gut and logic are intertwined entities. When in lylo, the final decision is largely gut-based, because there's a lot of logic on both sides, which you evaluate, and then make a final decision on--said final decision is generally not based on what you think, but what you feel. When looking for reads, gut is a strong tool for getting them, but you need logic to hold them.

Ultimately, I see my golden rule as a way of holding them in balance: the reads should fit the evidence, and you shouldn't warp evidence to fit your reads. If your gut is guided by that metric, it'll generally serve you well.

Sorry that I don't have as much to say as I'd like. (Well, I'm
saying
a lot, but I'm not sure how much of this is actually going to
help
is the problem. :P)
My academy.
Agnigi
mastin2
mastin2
The Second Coming
mastin2
The Second Coming
The Second Coming

Post Post #831 (ISO) » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:27 am

Post by mastin2 »

I can sum up my lessons to most of the town in a single word: presentation.

I would recommend that to all of you, in various different ways described in the wall; one of the main reasons this game was as close as it was is because most of the town players didn't present themselves as well as they needed to, whereas both Jason and I have had a
lot
of experience presenting ourselves favorably as both alignments. You don't want to structure yourself so much that your posts look artificial and hollow (that's a quick way to the noose), but you want to make sure that both you AND your reads are looked at favorably.

Basically, one of the main things is talking to specific players and working with them, coordinating not only reads, but also reasons. When you think you have something, present it to your peers and explain why you think it might be something, and evaluate off of their feedback how valid it is. You'll note that one of the main elements of my scum play throughout the entirety of this game is that I was talking with others and trying to work with them (except during parts of D3 where I was intentionally not doing so, in order to promote the "tVt nature" of my fight with triton)--as scum, this is to manipulate them so that they look favorably upon me. But as town, this is just as important a skill to master, because the town is the majority. You need other town players to obtain a lynch. Even if your reads are dead-on, they're worthless if you can't convince your fellow townies that you're right.

There's generally a reason I use phrases like "work with me, here" and the like, and I highly discourage players from antagonizing one another: because the town as a whole works best by working together, and to do so, they need to get that common ground. They need to hold an understanding of one another, and that's a key element of mafia games. (Also a huge reason why meta is so prevalent in the current site meta.) You need to be able to see where a player comes from, and explain where you come from, and be able to get towards a common ground. Mafia is a team game, and you can't fly solo. Not as town, and not even as scum. (It's easier as scum, but I lost this game whereas with Jason alive I probably would have won.) Both sides need to work as a coherent unit in order to win against the other.

If there's one lesson of mine that I'd value more than any other, it'd be that--to recognize that there's a grander element of mafia that extends beyond just yourself, and that you need to think of others.
My academy.
Agnigi
mastin2
mastin2
The Second Coming
mastin2
The Second Coming
The Second Coming

Post Post #832 (ISO) » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:07 am

Post by mastin2 »

Do you know what the most awesome part about being a teacher is?
Sometimes, even
you
learn something new.

In my case, I think I finally understand why--in my case--logic is a scumtell:

It's because of what I mentioned above in my writeup notes about gut. As town, I use the exact methods I'm advocating, because I am a very strongly gut-based player. I can
guess
at the mindset and motives of others and rationalize them, but I can never
know
them until the game is over.

As scum, I'm a good enough player to have developed a pseudogut. Which means as scum, I can go through that same process of "trying" to rationalize it. But there's an extra element involved: because I already know the alignments of players, I already have a much greater edge over my town self in rationalizing my (pseudo)gut feelings. I might not know the full story (I don't know their role PM or meta), but I have far more information about them than my town-self would have. So, my conclusions become more grounded in reality, and as a result, more logical.

I've been struggling to find the answer to that for years, now; I've always wondered why I-as-scum make stronger arguments than my town-self ever could. And now I know. So as a result of this game, even I can perhaps better understand my own (scum)play and improve as
both
alignments as a result. (Another thing I recommend highly--it's common sense to incorporate successful elements of your townplay into your scumplay, but most people don't realize that incorporating elements of your scumplay into your townplay will make your townplay much stronger, too. My accuracy as a scumhunter increased after I got some scum PMs. My rate of being mislynched dropped dramatically after I got a few scum PMs when I had run a solid streak of town PMs previously. I attribute both to this reason, that I learned some new tricks as scum that saved my ass as town. :P)
My academy.
Agnigi
Nul
Nul
Goon
Nul
Goon
Goon

Post Post #833 (ISO) » Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:20 pm

Post by Nul »

Nice walls. Good IC'ing. :)
Show
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?
Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing?
Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing?
Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing?
Then why call him God?
Lucky2u
Lucky2u
Jack of All Trades
Lucky2u
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #834 (ISO) » Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:25 pm

Post by Lucky2u »

even though you were scum and I hate you, that's some good IC teaching there :)
mattel
mattel
Townie
mattel
Townie
Townie

Post Post #835 (ISO) » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:03 pm

Post by mattel »

Well I was two for two. Glad I tried a game out over here and I learned quite a bit. Sorry about pm'img mastin that I had him lol.

Anywho, thanks for letting me have a game over here. Wish you guys and gals the best over here.
Lucky2u
Lucky2u
Jack of All Trades
Lucky2u
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #836 (ISO) » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:21 pm

Post by Lucky2u »

over here being what? you from somewhere else?
JasonWazza
JasonWazza
Jack of All Trades
JasonWazza
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #837 (ISO) » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:40 pm

Post by JasonWazza »

Love how my mastin advice is tiny compared to everyone else's.
Oh well GG town.
Returning win rate: 4/1, 80%
In the process of creating a game to mod, we will see what it holds.
enomis
enomis
Mafia Scum
enomis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #838 (ISO) » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:14 pm

Post by enomis »

Wa. Good Job IC. Good game everyone. Good job mod. :d
"you must prove more patient than a caterpillar, more willing to survive than a cockroach, and more stubborn than a leech - or you will definitely fail" - Counselor Rodriguez, the Star of Wisdom

Homertve: "Oh, and by the way, your tail is on fire."
Jackal711
Jackal711
Mafia Scum
Jackal711
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #839 (ISO) » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:27 pm

Post by Jackal711 »

Thanks everyone for playing, and a BIG thank-you to Nobody Special for stepping in when I was having access and other issues.
Linxie
Linxie
Townie
Linxie
Townie
Townie

Post Post #840 (ISO) » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:09 pm

Post by Linxie »

YAY we won :D

Thanks for the game Jackal and everyone, it was the most fun I've had at mafia in a long time.

Mastin, thanks for the advice, I will definitely work on it :)
uctriton00
uctriton00
Mafia Scum
uctriton00
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #841 (ISO) » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:15 pm

Post by uctriton00 »

Busy today but need to catch up either Sunday or whenever
"Also the town owes uctriton an apology for throwing him under the bus." - RXK
"I hate whoever shot triton." - Bumi
mattel
mattel
Townie
mattel
Townie
Townie

Post Post #842 (ISO) » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:26 pm

Post by mattel »

In post 836, Lucky2u wrote:over here being what? you from somewhere else?
Just happy to play here honestly. It was different and ok. Not much else to say really.
JasonWazza
JasonWazza
Jack of All Trades
JasonWazza
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #843 (ISO) » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:07 pm

Post by JasonWazza »

After reading all of Mastin's posts there is 1 that i read that i want to double up on
In post 831, mastin2 wrote:I can sum up my lessons to most of the town in a single word: presentation.

I would recommend that to all of you, in various different ways described in the wall; one of the main reasons this game was as close as it was is because most of the town players didn't present themselves as well as they needed to, whereas both Jason and I have had a
lot
of experience presenting ourselves favorably as both alignments. You don't want to structure yourself so much that your posts look artificial and hollow (that's a quick way to the noose), but you want to make sure that both you AND your reads are looked at favorably.

Basically, one of the main things is talking to specific players and working with them, coordinating not only reads, but also reasons. When you think you have something, present it to your peers and explain why you think it might be something, and evaluate off of their feedback how valid it is. You'll note that one of the main elements of my scum play throughout the entirety of this game is that I was talking with others and trying to work with them (except during parts of D3 where I was intentionally not doing so, in order to promote the "tVt nature" of my fight with triton)--as scum, this is to manipulate them so that they look favorably upon me. But as town, this is just as important a skill to master, because the town is the majority. You need other town players to obtain a lynch. Even if your reads are dead-on, they're worthless if you can't convince your fellow townies that you're right.

There's generally a reason I use phrases like "work with me, here" and the like, and I highly discourage players from antagonizing one another: because the town as a whole works best by working together, and to do so, they need to get that common ground. They need to hold an understanding of one another, and that's a key element of mafia games. (Also a huge reason why meta is so prevalent in the current site meta.) You need to be able to see where a player comes from, and explain where you come from, and be able to get towards a common ground. Mafia is a team game, and you can't fly solo. Not as town, and not even as scum. (It's easier as scum, but I lost this game whereas with Jason alive I probably would have won.) Both sides need to work as a coherent unit in order to win against the other.

If there's one lesson of mine that I'd value more than any other, it'd be that--to recognize that there's a grander element of mafia that extends beyond just yourself, and that you need to think of others.
This is a very true overall statement.

Presentation gets you everywhere.

And i have one scum game that basically proves it.

Mainstream Mafia.

In this game i was Mafia, and by day 4, 5 of my 7 scumbuddys were dead

We were basically fucked, except that i had already been posturing myself too look as town as possible with my role, and by Day 10 (the last day and 3P LYLO) it was kinda obvious i was scum, and i won anyway because it was hard to overlook everything i had done with myself that was pro-town.

As for the part about being on side with the town, i'd say that's more a playstyle thing, i antagonize everyone as a playstyle thing to constantly get reactions.
uctriton00
uctriton00
Mafia Scum
uctriton00
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #844 (ISO) » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:11 pm

Post by uctriton00 »

Hey
Mastin

Remember that time when I said you were being manipulative

And you got mad at me

And then you admitted you were being manipulative

Good times
uctriton00
uctriton00
Mafia Scum
uctriton00
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #845 (ISO) » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:35 pm

Post by uctriton00 »

First off, congratulations TOWN!!!

If this is your first win on Mafiascum.net, then you've earned yourself a mother ******* pat on the back. A win is a win. To quote Vin Diesel: It doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile. Winning's winning. There are NO such things as bad wins in this virtual game we play online either at home or during work when we should be working, or when we're ignoring real life. We're here because we like to pretend we're playing a game and we have fun doing it. Good show everyone, good show.

RadiantCowbells

That was a ballsy-ass move. I don't ever recommend it to anyone though. There's always a chance you're wrong (unless you're some kind of power role who a proof of a guilty), and then at that rate you'd waste your town PM, and that player's town PM. It's not a good bet. Luckily for you, it worked out great. So for these rare times, you need to LIVE IT UP and get a good congratulatory pat on the mother ***** back. I meant it 100% when I said your decision to self hammer yourself needed lip service paid to it.

Nul

You did what's actually pretty hard in this game, and you became the instant universal town read. That's why you died. Everything you said/did was pro-town, and you sounded town. You already know this by now, but if you ever need a way to "look town" in the future when you're scum, do everything you exactly did, and you'll easily slide on through as a scum.

JasonWazza

lol we got you. Mattel and Lucky2u handed me you on a silver platter. It's 95% because of them, and 5% me having the opportunity. And I mean it that when you're antagonizing everyone, that you defend it as a playstyle, but you're abrasive enough to where it's not surprising you don't ever get modkilled. You called me so many insults during twilight. How could you think it's ok? Oh wait that's how you choose to play this game and you don't care, internet derp derp u made bro lolcats etc etc. It felt so good to have you flip scum after you talking so much crap. It was seriously my #1 moment of my Internet life.

mattel

I seriously did not see any kind of bread crumbing, and I was completely daft to it, UNTIL that moment where both you and Lucky posted right after one another. I was being 100% honest in that I didn't see your original crumb and thought it was conjecture. But you were certainly the most important and key piece to getting that Jason guilty. There was nothing you could do to defend yourself at night (since Radiant offed himself), but I'd like to make you the MVP of this game. I don't know what prompted you to investigate Jason, but damn, that was a dead on bullseye investigation choice.

Lucky2u

I immediately took a liking to you because you understand my meta. A lot of people think I make stuff up (which is true) and dismiss my opinions. But as Jason chooses to be an asshole when he plays, I choose to be a loose cannon with theories. I like to shoot them off and see what sticks. And you understand that. The problem with Day 3 is that you were sincerely going to be my Day 4 lynch if we lynched Mastin and he flipped town. It mostly comes from how I thought you were fake scum-hunting on Day 1, and I felt that was scummy. Yet now that you flipped town, I understand how you play, and appreciate that maybe you and I have much more in common. You were a victim of what Radiant kind of wanted to do with Jason. On Day 3, and you had two votes on you. I wanted to yell at the top of my lungs, "if we lynch lucky, can you all shut the **** up and kill mastin tomorrow on policy?". I meant it during twilight 3 that I would feel horrible for killing you if you flipped town. So thank you for forgiving me by now.

enomis

Just one simple play you did made you an incredible town asset. You said "don't project night kill activities, because it helps the scum". I am going to use that sentence in my own town meta, and also when I'm scum, to earn myself town points. That is seriously the most towniest town thing said in this game, and you earned yourself major credit. Good work on not letting Mastin get on your nerves like he did mine.

mastin

I've never had a scum come at me with such blatant lies and manipulation. It just feels extremely good to be right, and I am going to use my scumhunt on you for every future scumhunt. I think you were the ultimate learning tool. I found your quick vote on me really easy to read on Day 3. Again, I know this is a game, and you HAVE to lie as scum, and I've lied as scum before. It's just that I've never done it with such a blatant fervor and borderline bashing that you did. Come on, are you seriously going to use appeals to emotion when you're scum? That DESTROYS your entire town meta. I would never do that for myself. Anyone who reads my meta knows that I would never put my meta on the line like you did. That's what made me hate you so much this game. But then again, this is a game, so I understand you had to lie your ass on in Newbie 1378 because I was definitely trying to ride you into the lynch sunset and take us to victory.

Linxie

To be completely honest, I would not have hated you if you mislynched. A 3 person LYLO is one of the hardest situations you'll ever face in Mafiascum, and I don't know how many 3PLs you've ever been in, but you handled this one well. You took your time and thought it out. I was in a 3PL recently and completely blew it. I still am not over my loss in that game, and I'm glad to see you come through. I'd give you an MVP but mattel's guilty on Jason was just enough to edge you out. But trust me Linxie, I sincerely admire your heroics on Day 4.
uctriton00
uctriton00
Mafia Scum
uctriton00
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #846 (ISO) » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:44 pm

Post by uctriton00 »

Here's the end lesson from Mafia

WIFOM
is everything.

Nul now has an ultimate way to look town. Maybe he'll act the same way his next game and he'll be scum!
Lucky has a scummy way of approaching Day 1, but was town. Maybe he'll continue this way, and then end up actually being scum!
Jason is antagonizing. Maybe he'll stop, so maybe he learns the err of his ways, and that means he's definitely town. No wait, he could flip scum!
Triton uses appeals to emotion every time he's town (I MEAN EVERY TIME, LOOK IT UP GUYS). When there's no ATE, it must mean he's scum! Wait, uh oh, he just flipped town again!

There is no set way to play as town or as scum. Patterns will be broken, playstyles will change, people will take advantage of your past (your meta) and exploit you. There is always room for second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh guessing.

Don't feel bad if after this win, you never win again for a long time. It happened to me :D but eventually, you'll win again, and it will feel extremely good.
Linxie
Linxie
Townie
Linxie
Townie
Townie

Post Post #847 (ISO) » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:37 pm

Post by Linxie »

Uctriton, thank you for those warm, inspiring words :D
JasonWazza
JasonWazza
Jack of All Trades
JasonWazza
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #848 (ISO) » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:47 pm

Post by JasonWazza »

Just a hint, aggressiveness isn't actually scummy, nor is being rude, both of those a playstyle tells not alignment ones.

Also Mattel isn't the MVP, he got lucky that you dumb hammered someone softing Cop so damn hard Ucrit.

Really, he should have just come and outted himself once he realized no one was coming near me.

And i can't believe so many people were blind to my fairly obvious soft claiming.
uctriton00
uctriton00
Mafia Scum
uctriton00
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #849 (ISO) » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:53 pm

Post by uctriton00 »

In post 550, JasonWazza wrote:UCRIT YOU SO AREN'T TOWN, GO DIE IN A HOLE
In post 537, JasonWazza wrote:LUCKY YOU DUMB FUCK I DIDN'T INVESTIGATE YOU SO HOW COULD I KNOW YOUR TOWN YOU DUMBASS
In post 531, JasonWazza wrote:AND U LYNCH ME YOU DUMB FUCKS
In post 570, JasonWazza wrote:YOUR NOT DUMB ENOUGH TO QUICKHAMMER LIKE A DUMBASS KNOWING THERE IS STILL A PR SITTING OUT THERE

SERIOUSLY YOU HAMMERED YOUR COP LIKE A FUCK WIT.
Tell me none of those were rude.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”