Magic: The Gathering,GO TEAM MS!

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #3550 (ISO) » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:48 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

What else could you have done T3 in a UB control deck?
green shirt thursdays
dramonic
dramonic
Survivor
dramonic
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3551 (ISO) » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:50 am

Post by dramonic »

I get that permanently exiling whatever you want is good but isn't 8 CMC... steep?
I'm a hoot
Stream: twitch.tv/dramonic
-If you stick your ear close enough to the game thread you can actually hear dram suffer in real life.-Beeboy
-Being obtuse is not a consequence of being a mod, it's a prerequisite. I think you may just have overestimated my intelligence before.-Korts
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #3552 (ISO) » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:53 am

Post by chamber »

In post 3550, xRECKONERx wrote:What else could you have done T3 in a UB control deck?
Drew cards.
Played removal spells.
Played new augur of bolas like creature (kind of like option 1).
Held up counter mana.
Taking a break from the site.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #3553 (ISO) » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:59 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

That's assuming they print cantrips.

That's assuming they have a target for removal.

Holding up counter mana is fine, but eventually, you'll have to do something to advance the game state. IE, if you counterspell their T2 play, have 3 mana up with another removal spell in hand, I see no problem in playing out the PW, letting them stick a creature, then blowing up their creature with removal later.
green shirt thursdays
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #3554 (ISO) » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:06 pm

Post by chamber »

Thats... not assuming they print cantrips? cantrips aren't that good. I mean actual card advantage. I'm pretty sure if I'm in the situation you described, I'd far rather my 3 drop have been read the bones. And I'm not even sure that card is going to see wide constructed play. Your situation is just kind of idealized (you on the play, you have the ability to deal with all their threats in the right order) I mean given that situation I could play anything and win.
InflatablePie
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
Accept When They Do
Pronoun: they / them

Post Post #3555 (ISO) » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:12 pm

Post by InflatablePie »

I guess I'll try an 8-4...

Spoiler: welp
If you don't know how to lie, then how do you know when you're being lied to?

No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible.
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #3556 (ISO) » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:18 pm

Post by chamber »

I think I'd have run the shocks and goblin diplomat over glimpse, rod of ruin, and frost breath.
Gammagooey
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Glad Hatter

Post Post #3557 (ISO) » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:22 pm

Post by Gammagooey »

i feel like that would be pretty greedy given that he has 11 double costed blue cards in the deck
Fate
Fate
:HAPPY:
Fate

Post Post #3558 (ISO) » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:24 pm

Post by Fate »

In post 3549, Sudo_Nym wrote:Which is part of my point. You're stealing nothing this turn, so you're spending a three drop and a deck slot in the hopes that you get to mill and steal a four drop on your second turn. But you could have done something else with your turn three, and then played a four drop next turn anyway. And it's unlikely that a random four from your opponents deck is going to have more synergy with your deck than the four you could have played instead.
except....

the random 4....

costs MANA? uses up an entire turn?

Like I have no idea what you're arguing... that he could eb a different card (creature) altogether???

Planeswalkers are engines. 3 mana planeswalker engines are usuallly very good. Ajani wasn't, but what engine does ajani build? None. You need to have a creature already, so he was kinda bad.

This one is a self contained engine, that if not dealt with, will provide value every turn. You can argue that the value is bad, but I think its a powerful effect in a lot of MUs
Fate is absurdly beautiful. 運命に弄ばれる
"Fate you keep alternating between narratives of doing it for fun and doing it for the sake of winning"
Fate
Fate
Fate

Post Post #3559 (ISO) » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:25 pm

Post by Fate »

Didn't people say Domri was a bad PW too? "Comes down and can do nothing?"
Fate is absurdly beautiful. 運命に弄ばれる
"Fate you keep alternating between narratives of doing it for fun and doing it for the sake of winning"
InflatablePie
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
Accept When They Do

Post Post #3560 (ISO) » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:45 pm

Post by InflatablePie »

In post 3556, chamber wrote:I think I'd have run the shocks and goblin diplomat over glimpse, rod of ruin, and frost breath.
eh, true. can always sub those in though

rod helped win me match 1 (also works with Dismiss), Frost is good against some decks (and with 3 Archaeomancers it's practically like a Limited snapcaster-deck) and I like Glimpse in some situations. I did sub glimpse out for another disperse in my last game, it's probably the weakest card I have

wish I got a blue staff but I picked something else over the one I saw pack one.

oh, btw, pack one pick one was between Colossal Whale, Opportunity, Time Ebb, Divination, and literally nothing else good in any other color. how I ended up mono-blue idk

Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3561 (ISO) » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:02 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

In post 3558, Fate wrote:
In post 3549, Sudo_Nym wrote:Which is part of my point. You're stealing nothing this turn, so you're spending a three drop and a deck slot in the hopes that you get to mill and steal a four drop on your second turn. But you could have done something else with your turn three, and then played a four drop next turn anyway. And it's unlikely that a random four from your opponents deck is going to have more synergy with your deck than the four you could have played instead.
except....

the random 4....

costs MANA? uses up an entire turn?

Like I have no idea what you're arguing... that he could eb a different card (creature) altogether???

Planeswalkers are engines. 3 mana planeswalker engines are usuallly very good. Ajani wasn't, but what engine does ajani build? None. You need to have a creature already, so he was kinda bad.

This one is a self contained engine, that if not dealt with, will provide value every turn. You can argue that the value is bad, but I think its a powerful effect in a lot of MUs
It's a random 4, assuming you actually get a random four. You can also get a random 3, a random 2, a random 1, or nothing at all. Against a lot of decks, nothing at all is most likely- if you've noticed, even aggro decks aren't stuffed full of creatures, from a numerical point of view. You're basically giving up everything else you could have done with three mana so that you can maybe steal a creature? And engine is a little strong- it's a card that does nothing when it comes down, maybe does something the turn after it comes down, and how many times will even have a chance to maybe do something? Your opponent isn't just going to let it sit there and accumulate counters, and it's probably going to be at low loyalty if you ever actually get the -X off.

So you're looking at spending your turn milling, maybe getting something, maybe surviving, maybe getting to cast it for free, and maybe surviving to do it more than once? And this is your engine? I suppose it could work- blue is notoriously terrible in Magic, and can't possibly do anything else worthwhile with three mana, so you might as well.

And what's the Domri Rade comment have to do with anything? "I argued about Domri Rade with other people, and they said it was terrible, but it wasn't. Therefore, a completely different card in a completely different context in a completely different context with a completely different person must also be good."
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #3562 (ISO) » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:09 pm

Post by chamber »

In post 3557, Gammagooey wrote:i feel like that would be pretty greedy given that he has 11 double costed blue cards in the deck
Eh You can still be like 11/6 and have ok mana. The biggest issue is that you still want red early for the shocks. but the cards I named are just very weak. You could cut the 2nd disperse over one of them too.
bv310
bv310
Mafia Scum
bv310
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3563 (ISO) » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:19 pm

Post by bv310 »

No, because Domri is actually useful. This guy comes down, and NEEDS an extra turn to do anything to advance You towards winning. Every other 3-mana Walker, for reference:
http://magiccards.info/scans/en/m14/1.jpg
http://magiccards.info/scans/en/gtc/156.jpg
http://magiccards.info/scans/en/m11/58.jpg
http://magiccards.info/scans/en/isd/105.jpg

Notice how every one of them, on the turn they come down, can do something to help you get closer to winning the game. Ajani is probably the least effective, since he needs you to have a creature, but his -2 can close a game on-the-spot in the right circumstances. Another thing to keep in mind is that each of these walkers has an ultimate that will likely win you the game if it resolves. Ajani makes a shitload of Cats, Domri makes every creature game-ending, Liliana takes out a big chunk of their board, and Jace mills a full third of their deck, or gives you 20 extra Snapcaster targets.

The biggest problem with Ashiok, to me, is that your deck doesn't matter. No matter what you have in your deck, you don't get to make Ashiok's +2 any better.
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Jack of All Trades
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3564 (ISO) » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:19 pm

Post by Debonair Danny DiPietro »

Pie, that's not a bad deck for M14 limited and it might work against slower decks but I can see GW, GR, or RW (basically if someone forced Slivers you're in trouble) running over you before you can do anything about it.
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #3565 (ISO) » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:28 pm

Post by chamber »

White red and Green white are like the two weakest color combinations in m14, I wouldn't worry too much about getting beared out in that deck. Maybe a reason to run an 18th land.
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Jack of All Trades
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3566 (ISO) » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:33 pm

In post 3565, chamber wrote:White red and Green white are like the two weakest color combinations in m14, I wouldn't worry too much about getting beared out in that deck. Maybe a reason to run an 18th land.
I took a GW aggro to the finals of the 8-4 I mentioned like two pages ago, where I lost after flooding to a RW aggro deck. I find the idea that blue is obviously the best color in M14 color and that white is obviously the worst to be way overblown.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3567 (ISO) » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:35 pm

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 3564, Debonair Danny DiPietro wrote:Pie, that's not a bad deck for M14 limited and it might work against slower decks but I can see GW, GR, or RW (basically if someone forced Slivers you're in trouble) running over you before you can do anything about it.
I find that decks running anyone over almost never happens in M14.
jdodge1019: hasjghsalghsakljghs is from vermont
jdodge1019: vermont is made of liberal freaks and cows
jdodge1019: he's not a liberal
jdodge1019: thus he is a cow
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Jack of All Trades
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3568 (ISO) » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:52 pm

In post 3567, hasdgfas wrote:
In post 3564, Debonair Danny DiPietro wrote:Pie, that's not a bad deck for M14 limited and it might work against slower decks but I can see GW, GR, or RW (basically if someone forced Slivers you're in trouble) running over you before you can do anything about it.
I find that decks running anyone over almost never happens in M14.
I went 2-0, 2-0 with matches running 5-8 minutes each in the first two rounds; I was just playing what felt open but I admit to having read this article the day before; good enough to Top 8 a GP, good enough for me.
InflatablePie
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
Accept When They Do

Post Post #3569 (ISO) » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:03 pm

Post by InflatablePie »

Lost in the finals to a UB deck that took my whale ;_;

In the last game, it got a Drake. Bounced it, got Drake back, Scattered it, he Negated, I Cancelled. Next turn he threw down a Corrupt. I should have Claustrophobia'd it instead of counterspell-fighting and would have been able to leave Cancel mana up for the Corrupt the next turn. Bleh.

Did okay against a GW aggro deck actually. Last game (1-1), got down to one life, topdecked Dismiss (9 mana, zephyr on field). Played, killed his Banisher Priest, got back a messenger drake, all he had was a sliver token, then wrecked his board next turn.

chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #3570 (ISO) » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:17 pm

Post by chamber »

In post 3566, Debonair Danny DiPietro wrote:
In post 3565, chamber wrote:White red and Green white are like the two weakest color combinations in m14, I wouldn't worry too much about getting beared out in that deck. Maybe a reason to run an 18th land.
I took a GW aggro to the finals of the 8-4 I mentioned like two pages ago, where I lost after flooding to a RW aggro deck. I find the idea that blue is obviously the best color in M14 color and that white is obviously the worst to be way overblown.
Limited formats are always self balancing within reason. White has the worst commons by far, but it has 1 very strong common and several very strong uncommons, so if only 1-2 people are white, they normally end up with fine decks, the reverse happens too, if 4-5 people are blue their decks will suffer. I think r/g is actually my favorite color combination accounting for how over drafted or under-drafted colors seem on modo.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #3571 (ISO) » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:21 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

Blue is just so goddamn strong in M14. Like, I'm rarely ever sad to get passed a blue card, unless it is the vanilla 2/1 or Tome Scour (though I did do well in a MTGO draft a few weeks back running nothing but counterspells/millstone/tome scour/Traumatize).
green shirt thursdays
InflatablePie
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
Accept When They Do

Post Post #3572 (ISO) » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:30 pm

Post by InflatablePie »

http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/article.asp?ID=11368

interesting article involving drafting W/GW/RW in M14.

Debonair Danny DiPietro
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Jack of All Trades
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3573 (ISO) » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:40 pm

In post 3572, InflatablePie wrote:http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/article.asp?ID=11368

interesting article involving drafting W/GW/RW in M14.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3574 (ISO) » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:57 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Interesting article on drafting in M14: http://riptidelab.com/take-it-part-one/
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.

Return to “The Arcade”