Newbie 1444 ~ Game Ovah ~ Mafia Win

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Antagon
Antagon
Goon
Antagon
Goon
Goon

Post Post #75 (ISO) » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:26 pm

Post by Antagon »

In post 66, talah wrote:VOTE: Sakura Hana

If you were sheeping Thor for legit reasons and now have a scumread on burns, why are you still voting Daughter, and more importantly, what do you think about Blonde and Antagon's votes on burns - which actually put him at L-2? Do you think Thor's arguments for burns-scum were remarkably convincing? And if so which parts do you agree with, or not completely align with?

And the vote's also for pressure.
Huh. I would think that votes solely for pressuring purposes shouldn't be announced as such. People usually try to explain their actions when there is an actual chance that someone is trying to lynch them. Just my opinion, though.
In post 69, Gale wrote:I apologize, I was extremely tired last night at a very late hour and obviously wasn't thinking very clearly. Both he and DaughterofLuthien seemed very defensive at a part of the game it didn't seem as though they had much to be defensive about, but now I also think that Sakura and Thor by the same logic should be just as "scummy" since they're also taking things much to far (in my newbie opinion) for an RVS game. Thus I'll refrain from voting at all until I have a clearer view of who actually is scummy since not all four of them can be.
I disagree. When there's no real information to start off with, being aggressive is the best way to get out of RVS and get people on serious discussion. Therefore, Sakura and Thor get at least some town points for attempting to get us out of RVS, but that doesn't mean that they're town.
"Why are you crying?"
"I'm crying because I'm stupid!"
"That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For instance, I cry because other people are stupid and that makes me sad." -
The Big Bang Theory
Malakittens
Malakittens
Survivor
Malakittens
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #76 (ISO) » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:34 pm

Post by Malakittens »

Vote Count 1.03With 9 alive it's 5 votes to lynch.

Voting for:

*DaughterofLuthien - Sakura Hana [1]
*Gale -
*Mr_Blonde -
*Putin -
*burn_209 - Thor665, Mr_Blonde, Antagon [3] [L-2]
*Antagon -
*talah -
*Sakura Hana - talah [1]
*Thor665 - DaughterofLuthien [1]

Not voting: Gale, Putin, burn_209 [3]

Day 1 ends in (expired on 2013-11-05 16:00:00)
No matter how high the stakes, sooner or later you're just gonna have to go with your gut.
And maybe, just maybe, that'll take you right where you were supposed to be.

Get to know a Mala~Grey<3 4.7.2015
Gale
Gale
Townie
Gale
Townie
Townie

Post Post #77 (ISO) » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:28 pm

Post by Gale »

Oh, so RVS is a misnomer then? Because I assumed that since it was Random Voting we weren't really supposed to have reasons yet. To be honest I sheeped on whoever had the most so we could move on to the next stage of the game. I retracted all votes because I thought it was a dangerous position to put someone who could very well be town. I realized you all were actually looking for some sort of evidence of something and it wasn't actually random. I thought my sheeping wouldn't help anything.
talah
talah
Mafia Scum
talah
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #78 (ISO) » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:53 pm

Post by talah »

In post 77, Gale wrote:Oh, so RVS is a misnomer then? Because I assumed that since it was Random Voting we weren't really supposed to have reasons yet. To be honest I sheeped on whoever had the most so we could move on to the next stage of the game. I retracted all votes because I thought it was a dangerous position to put someone who could very well be town. I realized you all were actually looking for some sort of evidence of something and it wasn't actually random. I thought my sheeping wouldn't help anything.
--Not exactly a misnomer as there's a point at some stage into Day 1 where enough discussion and enough of the right kind of interactions have been had that true scumhunting based on players' motivations begins. I've seen RVS effectively end by the end of page one before, no problem. People have different personalities so the way they will try to push a game out of RVS differs.
In newbie games players can be out of sync as to whether RVS is still happening or not too :)
In post 75, Antagon wrote:Huh. I would think that votes solely for pressuring purposes shouldn't be announced as such. People usually try to explain their actions when there is an actual chance that someone is trying to lynch them. Just my opinion, though.
I think scum can sometimes freak out when they see it coming and you blatantly announce the vote is for pressure.
But why would you think my vote is "solely for pressuring purposes" when I provided Sakura with a paragraph of questions before saying it was
also
for pressure?
In post 68, Sakura Hana wrote:
In post 66, talah wrote:I quite like Daughter's Post 51 for a natural response to the situation, too.
I disagree, it looked pretty fake to me
In post 66, talah wrote:If you were sheeping Thor for legit reasons and now have a scumread on burns, why are you still voting Daughter
My scumread on Daughter is higher.
In post 66, talah wrote:what do you think about Blonde and Antagon's votes on burns
They are good votes, tho they'd be better if they were on daughter.
In post 66, talah wrote:Do you think Thor's arguments for burns-scum were remarkably convincing? And if so which parts do you agree with, or not completely align with?
Yes, the discrepancies within the way Burns's words arent matching his actions.
In post 66, talah wrote:And the vote's also for pressure.
Why thank you
In post 66, talah wrote:please comment on Gale's vote as well.
It feels awkward that Gale retired the vote right after noticing it was an L-1 vote.
I don't think I've seen you wall before ;D

1) What makes you feel Post 51 is fake? To me the post has an accusatory tone to it, and is challenging Thor of all people which would probably be a bad move if he's town and Daughter's scum. There's a fairly natural flow to the posting too - so from a tenuous standpoint of early judgements I'd say that either Daughter and Thor are both scum, or Daughter's town.

2) I don't know what your scumread on Daughter is about (nor really your scumread on burn) but she doesn't seem at all pressured by your vote if that's what you're getting at.

3) Okay I guess I can accept that. I thought it was a bit weird that Antagon assumes Thor has done the legwork for him. Blonde's looks pretty good.

4) I think the argument is his words aren't matching his thought processes, not sure if that's what you meant.

5) You're most welcome. Shall I spruik some more pressure <3 my early scumreads are traditionally pretty good...

6) Yeah it did feel awkward and I'm not sure if it's the awkward of newbie town or newbie scum or slightly less than newbie scum trying to look like newbie town. Tending newbie town at this point, I think.

In post 67, Thor665 wrote:Oh, snap, sarcasm! This will be the start of a beautiful friendship...or I will out sarcasm you and there will be an eternal divide. 50/50 it seems.
Interesting, I didn't know that particular word was a Smurfable offense.
I can lay some clangers down at times, but that particular assessment was plump with sincerity. I'm more acerbic than sarcastic.
In post 67, Thor665 wrote:Okay, but...I'm actually confused as to your inability to see where I was getting at considering you think his 'brain to paper' reaction is all swell (and, indeed, that's the crux of his defense) Allow me to spell it out even more slowly.
We-ell.. it's the crux of his towniness as I see it, and if he happens to be scum yeah it could be a tactic. However I'm thinking he believes what he's saying and am quite delighted in the meantime that you're scumhunting on him, and that he's become a focus for discussion for others. Everyone has an opinion on burns, as the old saying goes.
In post 67, Thor665 wrote:1. He understands that reads can change and are not set in stone.
2. He understands that pressure reads exist.
3. He understands that pressuring people is a pro-town thing.
4. He used an answer that you liked that can be summed up as "because it's what I thought, so I shared it with people!"
5. He had no issue with my pressure on Daughter

and...

He thought it was sloppy and bad of me to announce that I'd be willing to lynch him.
If not the subtlety, I got the gist the first time around. I just disagree at this point and can think of at least a couple of logical reasons and many variants as to why this mightn't be all that relevant to his alignment (none of which I will bother to supply). I don't have a problem with the assessment that a contradiction exists in principle, but the way the conversation came about makes me think it's not a scumtell for burn.
In post 67, Thor665 wrote:That made me curious.
Why do you think it is so kosher?
There are a couple of other considerations in my mind - he's posting fairly prolifically and seems to be addressing your points but not kow-towing. Happy with my read as it stands.

---

Daughter
- why are you still sitting on an RVS vote?

Gale
- how do you feel about voting Sakura, for the time being, rather than voting noone?

burn
- same to you; your vote is not being used and Sakura has thanked me for pressure, therefore theoretically more pressure would result in further accolades.

Putin
- Hi!
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #79 (ISO) » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:09 am

Post by Thor665 »

In post 77, Gale wrote:Oh, so RVS is a misnomer then? Because I assumed that since it was Random Voting we weren't really supposed to have reasons yet. To be honest I sheeped on whoever had the most so we could move on to the next stage of the game. I retracted all votes because I thought it was a dangerous position to put someone who could very well be town. I realized you all were actually looking for some sort of evidence of something and it wasn't actually random. I thought my sheeping wouldn't help anything.
1. If your vote had no meaning other than to be random - why unvote?
2. If Day 1 will always be RVS, why be slow in lynching someone, why not just randomly do it?
In post 78, talah wrote:I'm more acerbic than sarcastic.
I'll be fascinated to hear you define the difference sometime since you draw that dividing line.
In post 78, talah wrote:There are a couple of other considerations in my mind - he's posting fairly prolifically and seems to be addressing your points but not kow-towing. Happy with my read as it stands.
Okay...but I have to admit all your responses seem to flow with an understanding of where I'm coming from already.
Why did you ask me for clarification of my angle in the first place?
Antagon
Antagon
Goon
Antagon
Goon
Goon

Post Post #80 (ISO) » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:09 am

Post by Antagon »

In post 78, talah wrote:
In post 75, Antagon wrote:Huh. I would think that votes solely for pressuring purposes shouldn't be announced as such. People usually try to explain their actions when there is an actual chance that someone is trying to lynch them. Just my opinion, though.
I think scum can sometimes freak out when they see it coming and you blatantly announce the vote is for pressure.
But why would you think my vote is "solely for pressuring purposes" when I provided Sakura with a paragraph of questions before saying it was
also
for pressure?
Oops. I misread and thought that you didn't really think that Sakura wasn't that scummy, yet you didn't like the vote and wanted to pressure her in order to explain it. Sorry about that.
"Why are you crying?"
"That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For instance, I cry because other people are stupid and that makes me sad." -
The Big Bang Theory
Antagon
Antagon
Goon
Antagon
Goon
Goon

Post Post #81 (ISO) » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:09 am

Post by Antagon »

In post 78, talah wrote:
also
for pressure?
Oops. I misread and thought that you didn't really think that Sakura wasn't that scummy, yet you didn't like the vote and wanted to pressure her in order to explain it. Sorry about that.
"Why are you crying?"
The Big Bang Theory
Gale
Gale
Townie
Gale
Townie
Townie

Post Post #82 (ISO) » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:08 am

Post by Gale »

Talah - Not much of an opinion at all at the moment, I'll reread the discussions by tonight and form an opinion.

Thor - I've never played a game with a lynch before anything happens. Whenever I played we started at Night 1 and had a death before any lynching (which makes a lot more sense to me personally because then we have more reason to lynch. I mean, why are we randomly lynching people? In a real life situation we wouldn't even know that there was a mafia killing people yet. But I'll play your way now that I understand what y'all are doing).
And I already explained why I retracted the vote. I dislike uninformed votes because they muddy things up unnecessarily.
Sakura Hana
Sakura Hana
She/Her
Survivor
Sakura Hana
She/Her
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #83 (ISO) » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:10 am

Post by Sakura Hana »

Well assume some random town member named NN got shot during Night 0 and we're on Day 1 now... not much different from how you used to play since if a game starts at Night 1, then there's nowhere to draw info from.
I bloom in spring?
Please be nice to me.
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #84 (ISO) » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:19 am

Post by Thor665 »

In post 83, Sakura Hana wrote:Well assume some random town member named NN got shot during Night 0 and we're on Day 1 now... not much different from how you used to play since if a game starts at Night 1, then there's nowhere to draw info from.
You need to stop stealing all my cleverest replies before I use them.

I was going to name the theoretical dead player 'Bob' though.
In post 82, Gale wrote:But I'll play your way now that I understand what y'all are doing).
:igmeou:
In post 82, Gale wrote:And I already explained why I retracted the vote. I dislike uninformed votes because they muddy things up unnecessarily.
Then why make it in the first place?
Also, I thought you retracted it because it was L-1...did I misunderstand that?
Gale
Gale
Townie
Gale
Townie
Townie

Post Post #85 (ISO) » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:26 am

Post by Gale »

Hmm. Okay, I'll assume that then (Sakura's example). The first day of a game is always sketchy, and we would go based off of level of activity in night (we'd chat) and reactions to the death and such.

Yes, Thor, exactly. It was an uninformed vote, and it would have been extremely easy for Burn to have been lynched because of it. If he's lynched, fine, but it's not gonna be because I pointed a random finger.
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #86 (ISO) » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:44 am

Post by Thor665 »

So where would you like to point a non-random finger?
burn_209
burn_209
Goon
burn_209
Goon
Goon

Post Post #87 (ISO) » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:12 am

Post by burn_209 »

In post 74, Thor665 wrote:
In post 71, burn_209 wrote:@thor in my opinion when you say you are fine with lynching someone that means, to me, that the person has done something to make you convinced that person is scum. I think being convinced that someone is scum when that person had two posts in the game is careless because it shows that it doesnt take much to convince you of something in the future and the mafia can use that against you and in turn Smurfing all of us because you are a strong player.
If you think I play like that then how can you think I'm a strong player?
And if you think I'm a strong player, how can you think I play like that?

Seems like either way either you are misunderstanding/representing what I'm doing, or I'm a really pathetic player and am of no danger if scum misuse me.
Though I am happy you think I'm town.
Good to know.

I think you are a strong player because you have the most experience out of all the people that are playing. Us townies look up to you and are going to want to follow your lead because you know more than we do due to sheer playing experience. I mean two people have already sheeped you, and one in Gale completely did it blindly which actually raised a red flag and makes me think she could be scum. At least Sakura added a little insight as to why she was doing it. Gale just popped in and dropped a vote. You're influence is what makes you a strong player and honestly you do seem like an intelligent guy. But intelligent people can be careless.

I do think you are town however and probably my biggest town feel at the moment. You have given a shit ton of effort and went on the offensive early of which I would highly doubt a scum player would do. Your activity, effort, and offensive nature makes me think that you are town.
burn_209
burn_209
Goon
burn_209
Goon
Goon

Post Post #88 (ISO) » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:19 am

Post by burn_209 »

I got a job interview today in like an hour so Ill respond to talah and whomever when I get back. Dont think Im just ignoring you despite posting above.
Gale
Gale
Townie
Gale
Townie
Townie

Post Post #89 (ISO) » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:28 pm

Post by Gale »

What do the titles under our names mean, by the way?

It's technically morning, but I didn't get back to my place until just before midnight.

So, at the very beginning DoL's computer excuse looked very shady. If she is a newbie, this could be that she was lying and didn't know that that was a function of the site (I didn't until Sakura pointed it out), and thus was caught in a lie. Her later post was completely different, calm and logical. This looks shaky to me.

Talah: My only opinion of Sakura right now is that she's quiet. She doesn't post a lot like, say, Thor does, but I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing. Though I do think she's watching the forum because when she's directly addressed or there's a question she is usually quick to respond. So, this could either be a lack of something to say or an unwillingness to talk because she doesn't want to give much ammo. I don't think that's grounds for lynching, though. Though I think Talah's comment about not seeing her wall before is interesting. To me, change from normal behavior is an indicator for scum (though that's not very helpful here since I don't know any of you). As for her sheeping, her reasoning was "I'm sheeping thor wrt majiffy's flowchart", and I have absolutely no clue what she means :) *goes to look up who Majiffy is and comes back* If she's talking about the thing in his signature, I think that's a pretty bad reason for sheeping in the first place and thus makes her suspicious, though I do believe why she kept the vote after DoL acted so shady.
Honest question: If sheeping is bad why did Thor approve of a sheep of a random vote then?

Burn does seem to be a bit shady. In all the conversation I lost track, which of the many questions did he supposedly not answer? If he didn't answer it but instead danced around it that would make him very shady.
Though my suspicion of DoL and Sakura are higher at present time, I'd say.

I don't really suspect Antagon or Talah at this point, but they haven't posted much either. And Thor is very active and aggressive, but that doesn't mean he's scum.

So at this point I'd be most willing to help lynch DoL or Sakura, but it wouldn't take too much convincing evidence for me to vote Burn.
talah
talah
Mafia Scum
talah
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #90 (ISO) » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:17 pm

Post by talah »

^nice post.

Titles relate to the amount of posts you've made on mafiascum from your account I believe.

The thing about Sakura's assertion that Daughter lied about missing the preview edit is... - it doesn't really make a difference if Daughter did lie about missing a preview edit, because it's not provable (I'll argue that I've seen odd behaviour from preedits before, and otherwise, what are we going to do - rigorously test it?), and so asserting it as a lie therefore goes to Daughter's overall trustworthiness anyway, which means more information is needed or the assertion is intended to challenge/provoke and create more information. Since Sakura doesn't seem to want to engage Daughter, I'm finding the play less than convincing and somewhat scummy. (Yes combined with the sheeping of Thor.)

If the question is directed at me, I've read several games where Thor has used random wagonning and the reasons people do or don't join them (particularly the ones he himself picks) as a way to scumhunt and move the game out of RVS.

Antagon - I think we've played once before in a marathon game haven't we? Why aren't you scumhunting?

Thor - Raincheck on the first unless you want to ISO-skim Open 509 which should devastate your ideals of positive interpersonal relations. To the second, Post makes your intentions slightly clearer (if retroactively) but I wouldn't presume to put anything past you as scum, including extremely pro-town Day 1 play driving town out of RVS which inadvertently ends in a speedlynch.

(/aside - apologies for sparsity and lack of quotes, I'm tied up with stuff for a few days but will pop in with horribly unformatted posts as I can!)
Sakura Hana
Sakura Hana
She/Her
Survivor
Sakura Hana
She/Her
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #91 (ISO) » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:19 am

Post by Sakura Hana »

@Mod: V/LA Until Monday
I bloom in spring?
Please be nice to me.
Malakittens
Malakittens
Survivor
Malakittens
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #92 (ISO) » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:51 am

Post by Malakittens »

Ill be replacing Putin when I get home or break. Stay tuned.
No matter how high the stakes, sooner or later you're just gonna have to go with your gut.

burn_209
burn_209
Goon
burn_209
Goon
Goon

Post Post #93 (ISO) » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:31 am

Post by burn_209 »

I'm V/LA until Monday as well. Heading down to San Bernadino for Escape Wonderland
burn_209
burn_209
Goon
burn_209
Goon
Goon

Post Post #94 (ISO) » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:37 am

Post by burn_209 »

However I have a 6 hour drive to San Bernadino so I might post on the way there from my phone.
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #95 (ISO) » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:50 am

Post by Thor665 »

So much dodging and hemming in this thread.
I'm going to need a steam shovel to dig through this.
Must be a discount on fences down at the local shops.
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #96 (ISO) » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:52 am

Post by Thor665 »

My eyes keep glazing as I look at this.
Eh, quick gut opinions;

Burn remains a good lynch.
I agree with the pseudo point about how queit Sakura is being, she should start shouting out some more reads. i think the point raised about the lack of her push on Daughter is very strong, I'm going to move both Daughter and Gale towards town for that, Gale being moved is amazing because I literally hate the entire rest of that post and find it rather scummy, but the one good kernal is there and it feels legit.
Talah's post tastes like wet cardboard seasoned with scraps of paper - it is bland and mushy and I shift her scummier for it...eh...I'll even say less scummy than Sakura, but it's by such a mushy nothing of degrees I'd happily flip-flop on it at the drop of a hat.
And have I mentioned that Burn remains a good lynch?
Yes?
Good, i'd like to do so again now.
Malakittens
Malakittens
Survivor
Malakittens
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #97 (ISO) » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:30 pm

Post by Malakittens »

Putin is replaced by Zipperflesh.

Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #98 (ISO) » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:41 pm

Post by Thor665 »

He's still alive?
Amazing.
zipperflesh
zipperflesh
Goon
zipperflesh
Goon
Goon

Post Post #99 (ISO) » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:28 pm

Post by zipperflesh »

In post 98, Thor665 wrote:He's still alive?
Amazing.
Such scathing sarcasm could only mean a townie is Thor.

vote:Sakura

Can we get him to L-1 by the time he returns from v/la?
Retired GM of Px2 - It's like a book club, but with bullets.

“If Passion drives, let Reason hold the Reins.” - Ben Franklin

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”