Mewbie 1472 ~ Game Ovah~

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Hopkirk
Hopkirk
Jack of All Trades
Hopkirk
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #50 (ISO) » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:28 am

Post by Hopkirk »

@Guyett: “XLAV and Cheese now that Pharp has said it was all a joke why continue voting him? Do you”: Why do you think someone saying their scummy (from cheese and xlav’s view) acts were a joke is justification for the votes to be removed?

I dislike the way the Pharp said “fun” rather than “gambit”, and doesn’t say what his conclusions are- something that it seems pointless to have done the gambit without doing.
So I’ll do that bit. Cheeses interactions I mentioned +47 suggests cheese was trying to be opportunist- get an easy lynch on a “vi”.

I conclude that cheese looks the worst so far and thus my vote shall not move yet.

(Stuff like vi can be searched on mafiascum wiki if you don’t know what it means.)

Pedit- karlos also going in the potential scum pile. There's a difference between voting because you didn't understand what he was doing and voting because you think it was scummy. @Karlos: Why would scum have any reason to claim there and why do you think other sites don't exist?
Hopkirk
Hopkirk
Jack of All Trades
Hopkirk
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #51 (ISO) » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:29 am

Post by Hopkirk »

So karlos and cheese leaning scum from it and pharp leaning town from it.
Guyett
Guyett
Hammering Hammered
Guyett
Hammering Hammered
Hammering Hammered

Post Post #52 (ISO) » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:32 am

Post by Guyett »

In post 49, Karlos4 wrote:Pharphis, your "joke", seems very awkward to me. Why joke about that? As you are listed as Newbie player, I think it was a scum slip, you messed up somehow. As long as you cant convince me, that it was just a joke.
VOTE: Pharphis
This is a L-1 vote. It is good town play to announce it so no one accidentally hammers the person.
L-1 being 1 vote away from a lynch
I think a lot about meteors. The purity of them. Boom! The end. Start again. The world made clean for the new man to rebuild.
Guyett
Guyett
Hammering Hammered
Guyett
Hammering Hammered
Hammering Hammered

Post Post #53 (ISO) » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:34 am

Post by Guyett »

In post 50, Hopkirk wrote:@Guyett: “XLAV and Cheese now that Pharp has said it was all a joke why continue voting him? Do you”: Why do you think someone saying their scummy (from cheese and xlav’s view) acts were a joke is justification for the votes to be removed?

I dislike the way the Pharp said “fun” rather than “gambit”, and doesn’t say what his conclusions are- something that it seems pointless to have done the gambit without doing.
So I’ll do that bit. Cheeses interactions I mentioned +47 suggests cheese was trying to be opportunist- get an easy lynch on a “vi”.

I conclude that cheese looks the worst so far and thus my vote shall not move yet.

(Stuff like vi can be searched on mafiascum wiki if you don’t know what it means.)

Pedit- karlos also going in the potential scum pile. There's a difference between voting because you didn't understand what he was doing and voting because you think it was scummy. @Karlos: Why would scum have any reason to claim there and why do you think other sites don't exist?
I thought it was pretty obvious he was dicking around to see if people would vote for him.
I think a lot about meteors. The purity of them. Boom! The end. Start again. The world made clean for the new man to rebuild.
Guyett
Guyett
Hammering Hammered
Guyett
Hammering Hammered
Hammering Hammered

Post Post #54 (ISO) » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:46 am

Post by Guyett »

In post 52, Guyett wrote:
In post 49, Karlos4 wrote:Pharphis, your "joke", seems very awkward to me. Why joke about that? As you are listed as Newbie player, I think it was a scum slip, you messed up somehow. As long as you cant convince me, that it was just a joke.
This is a L-1 vote. It is good town play to announce it so no one accidentally hammers the person.
It is also good play to state intent before hammering
Hopkirk
Hopkirk
Jack of All Trades
Hopkirk
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #55 (ISO) » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:47 am

Post by Hopkirk »

@Guy: I'm asking why should "i was joking" be an excuse for scummy play? I don't view his play as scummy, in fact i view the ones complaining about it as scummy, but you're telling people who say its scummy that's a valid excuse.
Also why do you think it was "dicking around">a reaction test?

I view it as a successful reaction test- i suspect that karlos and cheese (at least one of them) is scum.
BipolarChemist
BipolarChemist
he/they
Mafia Scum
BipolarChemist
he/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #56 (ISO) » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:47 am

Post by BipolarChemist »

Pharphis has played on other sites before. I can believe he was trying to lure a newer player into jumping on that.
Pharphis
Pharphis
Townie
Pharphis
Townie
Townie

Post Post #57 (ISO) » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:50 am

Post by Pharphis »

I tend to do things to get discussion rolling. look up any mafia game on the incgamers diablo 2 community forums if you don't believe me. Same username (also i'm accustomed to 24 hour days so when I make plays like this it is to get as much out of players as possible in a short timeframe)
In post 52, Guyett wrote:
Oh, that was fast.

review "edit": Is there a common way of saying you're doing a review edit?
Guyett
Guyett
Hammering Hammered
Guyett
Hammering Hammered
Hammering Hammered

Post Post #58 (ISO) » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:52 am

Post by Guyett »

In post 55, Hopkirk wrote:@Guy: I'm asking why should "i was joking" be an excuse for scummy play? I don't view his play as scummy, in fact i view the ones complaining about it as scummy, but you're telling people who say its scummy that's a valid excuse.
Also why do you think it was "dicking around">a reaction test?

I view it as a successful reaction test- i suspect that karlos and cheese (at least one of them) is scum.
It isn't, but I expect he was being intentionally scummy to draw votes. This is known as Slayer's gambit. This is not a type of gambit that I would advise people to try btw.

I agree that we should have a look at the people opportunistically jumping onto that wagon
Hopkirk
Hopkirk
Jack of All Trades
Hopkirk
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #59 (ISO) » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:54 am

Post by Hopkirk »

In post 56, BipolarChemist wrote:Pharphis has played on other sites before. I can believe he was trying to lure a newer player into jumping on that.
So do you think he was scum trying to mislynch new players or town trying to catch new scum?
---
Obviously in a newbie game he's going to be voted for a gambit. His was pretty town- out of rvs quick and showed some pretty scummy stuff up.

@Pharphis: Pedit/ post-edit.
Would you like to explain to the other players your reason+conclusions?

@Guyett: Ok so we agree it was a gambit rather than just "joking".
Pharphis
Pharphis
Townie
Pharphis
Townie
Townie

Post Post #60 (ISO) » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:55 am

Post by Pharphis »

VOTE: king kenny
lurking
Guyett
Guyett
Hammering Hammered
Guyett
Hammering Hammered
Hammering Hammered

Post Post #61 (ISO) » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:56 am

Post by Guyett »

I think he is probably town for trying to pull the game out of RVS
Hopkirk
Hopkirk
Jack of All Trades
Hopkirk
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #62 (ISO) » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:57 am

Post by Hopkirk »

In post 60, Pharphis wrote:VOTE: king kenny
lurking
So why are you saying this instead of responding to my qs?
Why do a risky gambit then not use what you get from it...
Why go for a policy lynch while on L-1?

First is most important there.
BipolarChemist
BipolarChemist
he/they
Mafia Scum
BipolarChemist
he/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #63 (ISO) » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:02 am

Post by BipolarChemist »

In post 59, Hopkirk wrote:
In post 56, BipolarChemist wrote:Pharphis has played on other sites before. I can believe he was trying to lure a newer player into jumping on that.
So do you think he was scum trying to mislynch new players or town trying to catch new scum?
I'm not sure. I have played with him before and he is telling the truth that he makes bold moves early, but whether that means he is town or scum, I don't know. He has a habit of getting lynched D1 as scum or dying N1 as town (or other).
cheesetovey
cheesetovey
Goon
cheesetovey
Goon
Goon

Post Post #64 (ISO) » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:04 am

Post by cheesetovey »

In post 41, Pharphis wrote:Way to ruin my fun!

Ok, no I didn't get goon

I was probably pulled into a psychological test, but afterward he says we ruined his FUN. Like it didn't seem like this was for reads, more as a joke.
The joke bit is what I think is scummy. Now he comes out with trying to get reads, but I don't know it feels suspicious to me.

also
Hopkirk wrote:
In post 60, Pharphis wrote:VOTE: king kenny
lurking
So why are you saying this instead of responding to my qs?
Why do a risky gambit then not use what you get from it...
Why go for a policy lynch while on L-1?

First is most important there.

I would also like to see these conclusions, so please show

P.S. Guyett why did you vote for kk, just asking.
BipolarChemist
BipolarChemist
he/they
Mafia Scum
BipolarChemist
he/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #65 (ISO) » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:07 am

Post by BipolarChemist »

In post 64, cheesetovey wrote: I was probably pulled into a psychological test, but afterward he says we ruined his FUN. Like it didn't seem like this was for reads, more as a joke.
The joke bit is what I think is scummy. Now he comes out with trying to get reads, but I don't know it feels suspicious to me.
This feels like some back tracking and repeating of points made by other players. Kind of like pandering to the crowd.
Guyett
Guyett
Hammering Hammered
Guyett
Hammering Hammered
Hammering Hammered

Post Post #66 (ISO) » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:09 am

Post by Guyett »

In post 64, cheesetovey wrote: P.S. Guyett why did you vote for kk, just asking.
cheesetovey
cheesetovey
Goon
cheesetovey
Goon
Goon

Post Post #67 (ISO) » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:13 am

Post by cheesetovey »

How many of you guys are new with mafia, and how many are just new to this site?
I'm finding that I seem to be the only real newb here
Hopkirk
Hopkirk
Jack of All Trades
Hopkirk
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #68 (ISO) » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:14 am

Post by Hopkirk »

In post 63, BipolarChemist wrote:
I'm not sure. I have played with him before and he is telling the truth that he makes bold moves early, but whether that means he is town or scum, I don't know. He has a habit of getting lynched D1 as scum or dying N1 as town (or other).
This is bad logic. It sounds like you're saying he's usually lynched as scum so if he's being lynched it's always because he's scummy. That just gives scum the opportunity to lynch him easily.
You play on the same forum? How much.

Random vote stage is the usual way a game is started. There is generally no justification for votes if you are the very first poster- as there can't be. The aim is to get people talking.

@Cheese: I am not new to this site and am even less new to mafia. (though you're probably asking the townspeople/goons)
Pharphis
Pharphis
Townie
Pharphis
Townie
Townie

Post Post #69 (ISO) » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:15 am

Post by Pharphis »

---
Obviously in a newbie game he's going to be voted for a gambit. His was pretty town- out of rvs quick and showed some pretty scummy stuff up.

@Pharphis: Pedit/ post-edit.
Would you like to explain to the other players your reason+conclusions?

@Guyett: Ok so we agree it was a gambit rather than just "joking".
For the record I don't think I said joking, I said I was having fun. And ya, saying weird, scummy things to gauge reactions is fun imo. Maybe not the best of plays as my track record shows.

"rvs"? (nvm this was just answered)

pevit: working on it.
Cheese seems nooby/scummy for not recognizing the goon thing immediately.
BPC voted me for being Canadian, which didn't surprise me
Guyett asked the right question so I'm leaning town on him ("did you mean...")
Karlos with the stubborn vote is scummy imo
xlav gave a simple reason for voting me to add to the train
I liked hopkirk's "difference b/w voting because of ignorance vs scum read" (paraphrased)

I wasn't able to get a read from someone who didn't respond to my ploy, so they got my vote (whether it's because they are absent or intentionally avoided it)
Also what does my L-1 have to do with who I choose to vote?
I vote for who I think needs prodding or to be lynched.
Pharphis
Pharphis
Townie
Pharphis
Townie
Townie

Post Post #70 (ISO) » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:18 am

Post by Pharphis »

Oh, and for future reference, players can vote for themselves, right?
cheesetovey
cheesetovey
Goon
cheesetovey
Goon
Goon

Post Post #71 (ISO) » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:21 am

Post by cheesetovey »

Right
BipolarChemist
BipolarChemist
he/they
Mafia Scum
BipolarChemist
he/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #72 (ISO) » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:23 am

Post by BipolarChemist »

In post 68, Hopkirk wrote: This is bad logic. It sounds like you're saying he's usually lynched as scum so if he's being lynched it's always because he's scummy. That just gives scum the opportunity to lynch him easily.
You play on the same forum? How much.
I'm not saying that. I'm saying he's usually loud and one of the most seen players on a D1 in my experience and his play tells me nothing to what his alignment is. We also constantly joke about how every time he's scum he gets lynched D1 :P

We play often.
Guyett
Guyett
Hammering Hammered
Guyett
Hammering Hammered
Hammering Hammered

Post Post #73 (ISO) » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:23 am

Post by Guyett »

In post 70, Pharphis wrote:Oh, and for future reference, players can vote for themselves, right?
yes but it's not advised
Hopkirk
Hopkirk
Jack of All Trades
Hopkirk
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #74 (ISO) » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:26 am

Post by Hopkirk »

Joking=fun in that neither = a reaction test= what it should be/looked like.

Karlos was opportunistic i feel.

B/w?

Now three things.
1.) Doing a reaction test then voting someone else despite getting a scumread from the reaction test defeats the point of the reaction test making you look bad.
2.) "I vote for who I think needs prodding" is a really stupid thing to do. Only vote for those who should be lynched.
3.) A policy lynch is a bad reason to vote someone- lurkingetc doesn't make someone town or scum and you want to be lynching scum- thus supporting the worst kind of lynch (naturally this makes you look bad) when on L-1 could get you lynched.

"Oh, and for future reference, players can vote for themselves, right?": Why would you vote yourself as town.

@Bipolar: Then why is he only lynched day one as scum rather than being lynched day one as either alignment? The way you said it sounds like you were subtly trying to make people think if they were voting him they should stay there.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”