Newbie 1484 (Day Two)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Number_0ne
Number_0ne
Goon
Number_0ne
Goon
Goon

Post Post #125 (ISO) » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:53 am

Post by Number_0ne »

In post 122, JarJarDrinks wrote:
Scumreads:

Hopkirk
- I've posted a bit about hopkirk already. I don't like either person in this Hopkirk/Bulb fued but I think Hopkirk looks like the worse of the 2. And he's voting for my townread and hasn't really given a good reason for it

Thesoctorisin
- voting for fairies for getting "involved in Bulbs and Hops conversation" which everyone was doing (and isn't scummy, people should involve themselves). Then backed off his reasoning when it wasn't sticking. Also made a point to let people know he wasn't bandwagoning.
What do you think of their votes on I love fairies one after the other?
Docthorr
Docthorr
Goon
Docthorr
Goon
Goon

Post Post #126 (ISO) » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:00 pm

Post by Docthorr »

I have no intention of lurking, it is just that I can't seem to find content to add in the conversations. Even in reallife I'm not that active of a speaker.

I think I am too distracted when I read all the posts. (listening to music, being involved in other stuff) Maybe I should start making notes to have some sort of easy reference.
It is midnight now, so I should get some sleep. Tomorrow I will take my notepad and start making notes and try to give my reads on all the players.
Any general tips I should pay attention too? (I really am a total newbie :P )
JarJarDrinks
JarJarDrinks
Mafia Scum
JarJarDrinks
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #127 (ISO) » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:28 pm

Post by JarJarDrinks »

In post 125, Number_0ne wrote:
In post 122, JarJarDrinks wrote:
Scumreads:

Hopkirk
- I've posted a bit about hopkirk already. I don't like either person in this Hopkirk/Bulb fued but I think Hopkirk looks like the worse of the 2. And he's voting for my townread and hasn't really given a good reason for it

Thesoctorisin
- voting for fairies for getting "involved in Bulbs and Hops conversation" which everyone was doing (and isn't scummy, people should involve themselves). Then backed off his reasoning when it wasn't sticking. Also made a point to let people know he wasn't bandwagoning.
What do you think of their votes on I love fairies one after the other?
I actually already answered that in this post:
In post 93, JarJarDrinks wrote:
In post 92, Thesoctorisin wrote:@jarjar Are you voting me just because I "joined" the band wagon?
Are you reading my posts? I gave several reasons for thinking you're scummy.

In post 92, Thesoctorisin wrote:If so, how does this automatically make me scum when tons of other people do it to?
I never implied it "automatically" made you scum. And what tons of other people "joined" the wagon? Aside from the original vote on her, only ONE other person voted for faires (Hopkirk). And yes, I think he's scummy for it as well. But odds are you both aren't scum cause I doubt scum would pile up back to back like that. So I think the most likely scenario is that just one of you is scum and I think you're far scummier @ this point than Hopkirk.
Robocopter87
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #128 (ISO) » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:53 pm

Post by Robocopter87 »

--:Vote Count:--
  • Thesoctorisin [ 3 ] JarJarDrinks, catboi, Number_0ne

• Docthorr [ 0 ]
  • LessThanOriginal [ 1 ] Docthorr
  • JarJarDrinks [ 0 ]
  • I Love Fairies [ 1 ] Hopkirk
  • Number_0ne [ 1 ] I Love Fairies
  • Hopkirk [ 1 ] Bulbazak
  • catboi [ 0 ]
  • Bulbazak [ 0 ]
Not Voting
: LessThanOriginal, Thesoctorisin
Amount To Lynch
: With 9 alive it is 5 to lynch
Deadline
: 11:59PM of March 21st EST.
Although the border between madness and genius is very narrow.

"I am so totally obsessed with you. You caught me." - Tracy
JarJarDrinks
JarJarDrinks
Mafia Scum
JarJarDrinks
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #129 (ISO) » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:32 pm

Post by JarJarDrinks »

In post 123, Number_0ne wrote:
In post 122, JarJarDrinks wrote: So I'm gonna make a suggestion. I think everyone should post a list of the players in the game and where they are w/ them. Even if you're mostly null just state what you're leaning. Or just list the people you're leaning mostly scum on. Or townreads or something. Just don't let scum blend in w/ lurkers.
While I do think that can be useful, I disagree with doing it day 1. I find that it would help scum a lot more than town, and it can give them an idea of who to NK. Hopefully I'll be able to type up a more substantial post later on today.
In post 124, LessThanOriginal wrote:Just saying, I'm not going to give a read on anyone this early in the game. If I ever do so it will likely be in defence of someone or as a reads list at the start of the next day phase. Though, honestly, I wouldn't say your best Town reads right now because that's just asking for them to be at risk of a NK.

When there's enough information for a scum lynch to come out of it from it, that's when the reads are given IMO.

Ok so I've played a bunch on another site but haven't followed any games here. Is this an actual school of thought on this site? That people should hold their reads back because it helps scum choose their NK?

Isn't actually catching scum more important? Scum can follow the thread sentiment and figure out who the towniest people are and choose accordingly. I think it's more important to get people to put their opinions out there.

And also, if it can help scum choose their NK, it can also help people w/ protection roles choose their targets.
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #130 (ISO) » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:04 pm

Post by catboi »

In post 101, JarJarDrinks wrote:@catboi. I notice you haven't chimed in on the bulb/hop stuff. Do agree w/ either of them? Do you think one of em is more likely to be scum?
It looks like a lot of bickering that gives me very little insight. It doesn't really interest me.
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #131 (ISO) » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:13 pm

Post by catboi »

In post 124, LessThanOriginal wrote:Just saying, I'm not going to give a read on anyone this early in the game. If I ever do so it will likely be in defence of someone or as a reads list at the start of the next day phase. Though, honestly, I wouldn't say your best Town reads right now because that's just asking for them to be at risk of a NK.

When there's enough information for a scum lynch to come out of it from it, that's when the reads are given IMO.
Are you going to do anything this early in the game? What's your plan for finding mafia?
I Love Fairies
I Love Fairies
Goon
I Love Fairies
Goon
Goon

Post Post #132 (ISO) » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:11 pm

Post by I Love Fairies »

In post 131, catboi wrote:

Are you going to do anything this early in the game? What's your plan for finding mafia?
Gaaaaah! Everyone in the game that I observed always said the same thing and then suddenly, the werewolves won.

We're not going to learn anything if we all just sit back and say that we don't know how to find anyone or that we don't have a way to get more information. We get information by doing things like this.

Honestly, I feel like it's effective to post trust lists now because it's harder for the allied scum to place their teammates in a good standing with okay information. We can look back at the lists and make associations between players. That said, I'll probably post a trust list before I go to bed tonight, but as it is right now, I might be risking too much time by posting this. 0.0
A genius, huh? What does that mean? "Genius"? So I was not born with a whole lot of natural talent, not gifted like Neji… but I work hard and I never give up! That is my gift; that is my ninja way! ---- Rock Lee
LessThanOriginal
LessThanOriginal
Goon
LessThanOriginal
Goon
Goon

Post Post #133 (ISO) » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:55 pm

Post by LessThanOriginal »

I have no specific plan as such. I prefer to observe and step in when I see something relevant. It gains me a null read most of the time, yes, but that just means I'm unlikely to be NKed or lynched, which suits me fine and allows me to hopefully get to end game when my reads get more accurate.

@Fairies: I would say that the start of D2 would be a good time to share read lists. We would have information from D1, the flip and the NK, but because reads are likely to change over the course of a Day, it's not going to be as useful in terms of the Mafia finding NKs. Also, with read lists I tend to look more at the reasoning behind the reads, rather than the reads by themselves so it will be useful to look back on after the D2 flip.
Number_0ne
Number_0ne
Goon
Number_0ne
Goon
Goon

Post Post #134 (ISO) » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:39 am

Post by Number_0ne »

In post 129, JarJarDrinks wrote: Ok so I've played a bunch on another site but haven't followed any games here. Is this an actual school of thought on this site? That people should hold their reads back because it helps scum choose their NK?

Isn't actually catching scum more important? Scum can follow the thread sentiment and figure out who the towniest people are and choose accordingly. I think it's more important to get people to put their opinions out there.

And also, if it can help scum choose their NK, it can also help people w/ protection roles choose their targets.
I just don't see the need to post town reads at this point in the game. I'm fine with scum reads, but town reads I just find detrimental. While scum may be able to find the towniest people, their perception of how the game is going may be very different from a townie's perspective. Finally, there may not be protection roles in this game, so it wouldn't be that useful.

I'd say revealing this information would be better day 2 or day 3, after lynches and NKs have been made.
JarJarDrinks
JarJarDrinks
Mafia Scum
JarJarDrinks
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #135 (ISO) » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:55 am

Post by JarJarDrinks »

In post 133, LessThanOriginal wrote:

I have no specific plan as such. I prefer to observe and step in when I see something relevant. It gains me a null read most of the time, yes, but that just means I'm unlikely to be NKed or lynched, which suits me fine and allows me to hopefully get to end game when my reads get more accurate.
I wouldn't be so sure that it makes you unlikely to lynched. Unlikely to be NKed, sure. But I think not giving your opinion on anyone is pretty scummy and if you are town, you're making yourself lynchbait so scum could vote you out w/o looking suspicious.

Isn't there anyone you can give us your opinion about? Like you can't possibly be null on everyone.
Bulbazak
Bulbazak
Survivor
Bulbazak
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #136 (ISO) » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:26 am

Post by Bulbazak »

In post 129, JarJarDrinks wrote: Ok so I've played a bunch on another site but haven't followed any games here. Is this an actual school of thought on this site? That people should hold their reads back because it helps scum choose their NK?
Yes, although not everyone shares that opinion. Typically, I give an updated reads list at the start of the day, barring that nothing happened that completely fried my reads or that I feel is more important of pursue.
Bulbazak is so town that everytime someone votes him Mastin coughs blood.
- Nachomamma8, Maniacal Street Mafia

V/LA during weekends. Now leave me alone!
LessThanOriginal
LessThanOriginal
Goon
LessThanOriginal
Goon
Goon

Post Post #137 (ISO) » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:30 am

@JarJarDrinks: I said I aim for "null", not "scum" so no, at this stage in the game a lynch on me should be relatively low priority. And I've explained why I don't want to give my reads yet, and I stand by that.

I'm not null on everyone, but given that this is a newbie game I'm focusing on looking more for newbie Town slips ("scum slips" by newbies are often actually just them being newbies, whereas Town slips are pretty hard for them to fake) and so can't offer much in the way of scum reads. Well, I have speculation, but I need a lot more evidence before I can be sure on anything.
LessThanOriginal
LessThanOriginal
Goon
LessThanOriginal
Goon
Goon

Post Post #138 (ISO) » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:02 am

^sorry. Just to be clear about the above, I was talking mainly about my Town reads when I said I don't want to give them yet.
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #139 (ISO) » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:06 pm

Post by catboi »

In post 132, I Love Fairies wrote:Gaaaaah! Everyone in the game that I observed always said the same thing and then suddenly, the werewolves won.

We're not going to learn anything if we all just sit back and say that we don't know how to find anyone or that we don't have a way to get more information. We get information by doing things like this.

Honestly, I feel like it's effective to post trust lists now because it's harder for the allied scum to place their teammates in a good standing with okay information. We can look back at the lists and make associations between players. That said, I'll probably post a trust list before I go to bed tonight, but as it is right now, I might be risking too much time by posting this. 0.0
I'm querying LTO in particular because they're basically completely devoid of any sort of proactive scumhunt and I want to see if they just have cold feet or are scum that don't know how to fake it. Not sure why you'd get worked up over this~

And well, right now, she's very worthy of lynching, though I'm fine with my vote being where it is right now
I Love Fairies
I Love Fairies
Goon
I Love Fairies
Goon
Goon

Post Post #140 (ISO) » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:06 am

Post by I Love Fairies »

In post 139, catboi wrote:
In post 132, I Love Fairies wrote:Gaaaaah! Everyone in the game that I observed always said the same thing and then suddenly, the werewolves won.

I'm querying LTO in particular because they're basically completely devoid of any sort of proactive scumhunt and I want to see if they just have cold feet or are scum that don't know how to fake it. Not sure why you'd get worked up over this~

And well, right now, she's very worthy of lynching, though I'm fine with my vote being where it is right now
I got worked up about it because misunderstood your post. I thought what you were saying was basically "I'm not going to say anything because we don't have anything to go off of because more people need to say stuff".

Rereading your post, I realize that I either managed to misquote, or I just misread.

Seeing as everyone is so opposed to posting a trust list, I guess I won't do so until Tomorrow.
A genius, huh? What does that mean? "Genius"? So I was not born with a whole lot of natural talent, not gifted like Neji… but I work hard and I never give up! That is my gift; that is my ninja way! ---- Rock Lee
Thesoctorisin
Thesoctorisin
Townie
Thesoctorisin
Townie
Townie

Post Post #141 (ISO) » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:35 am

Post by Thesoctorisin »

In the game I observed, one player tried to post a reads list on day 1 and everybody else said wait for day 2. The only newbie player in that game was the one who tried to post the reads list so I think I will wait till day 2.
Hopkirk
Hopkirk
Jack of All Trades
Hopkirk
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #142 (ISO) » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:39 am

Post by Hopkirk »

In post 141, Thesoctorisin wrote:In the game I observed, one player tried to post a reads list on day 1 and everybody else said wait for day 2. The only newbie player in that game was the one who tried to post the reads list so I think I will wait till day 2.
Not going to say anything about your wagon?

I prefer just to give scumreads rather than scaled townreads now.
Hopkirk
Hopkirk
Jack of All Trades
Hopkirk
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #143 (ISO) » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:44 am

Post by Hopkirk »

Jarjar is rubbing me the wrong way. Sounds like he's sitting on the side and trying to incite a town on town. He also tries the whole “one’s gotta be scum” thing.

Also “And also, if it can help scum choose their NK, it can also help people w/ protection roles choose their targets.” Both protectors having mafia roleblocker in their column. It sounds like a slip kind of as it sonds like he knows there is a protector.

I will need to check his other posts but now he’s a significant scumread of mine.
Docthorr
Docthorr
Goon
Docthorr
Goon
Goon

Post Post #144 (ISO) » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:56 am

Post by Docthorr »

Okay. No list.
I will stick with my vote for now, for lack of a better one at this moment.
JarJarDrinks
JarJarDrinks
Mafia Scum
JarJarDrinks
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #145 (ISO) » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:15 pm

Post by JarJarDrinks »

In post 143, Hopkirk wrote:Jarjar is rubbing me the wrong way. Sounds like he's sitting on the side and trying to incite a town on town.
Please explain this further. What do you mean by "sitting on the side" and explain what you mean by "trying to incite a town on town."
In post 143, Hopkirk wrote:He also tries the whole “one’s gotta be scum” thing.
I said “one’s gotta be scum”? U know usually when using quotes it's supposed to be an actual quote that was said. Here's my exact quote:
In post 67, JarJarDrinks wrote:Also, I actually agree w/ you that one of the people voting for you is likely scum.
You're misrepresenting what I said. Implying that I'm using absolutes when I'm just using regular deduction.

And regardless, how is that scummy @ all? You can't just say I said something without explaining how it's scummy.
In post 143, Hopkirk wrote:Also “And also, if it can help scum choose their NK, it can also help people w/ protection roles choose their targets.” Both protectors having mafia roleblocker in their column. It sounds like a slip kind of as it sonds like he knows there is a protector.

I will need to check his other posts but now he’s a significant scumread of mine.
Really? You're gonna try to imply that I scumslipped for pointing out a fact? Try harder dude.
Thesoctorisin
Thesoctorisin
Townie
Thesoctorisin
Townie
Townie

Post Post #146 (ISO) » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:54 pm

Post by Thesoctorisin »

In post 142, Hopkirk wrote:
In post 141, Thesoctorisin wrote:In the game I observed, one player tried to post a reads list on day 1 and everybody else said wait for day 2. The only newbie player in that game was the one who tried to post the reads list so I think I will wait till day 2.

How does what I said have anything to do with my vote on I love fairies?
Thesoctorisin
Thesoctorisin
Townie
Thesoctorisin
Townie
Townie

Post Post #147 (ISO) » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:57 pm

Post by Thesoctorisin »

I don't have much time so I'll explain later.

Vote: Hopkirk
I Love Fairies
I Love Fairies
Goon
I Love Fairies
Goon
Goon

Post Post #148 (ISO) » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:43 pm

Post by I Love Fairies »

In post 146, Thesoctorisin wrote:
In post 142, Hopkirk wrote:

How does what I said have anything to do with my vote on I love fairies?

You can reduce my name to either Ilf or Fairies, if you'd like.
Hopkirk
Hopkirk
Jack of All Trades
Hopkirk
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #149 (ISO) » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:42 pm

Post by Hopkirk »

The scumslip is you’d only know it’s a fact if you were scum. Since you’re saying it that way you’re either doc/jailkeeper or scum.

The one has to be scum is implied, not stated, by your reads on me and bulb.

Incite= 101

Soctor: obliviously it's the wagon on you i'm talking about... Biggest wagon and you don't make any game specific content is suspicious... then you vote me (seemingly for questioning you) right after that.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”